IF I HAD A HAMMER

Today’s signing of Jeff Petry to a wayward contract implies the club plans to start the season with Oscar Klefbom in Oklahoma City, and perhaps Justin Schultz on the third pairing.

PROJECTED OPENING NIGHT DEFENSIVE DEPTH CHART

LEFT DEFENSE RIGHT DEFENSE
MARTIN MARINCIN JEFF PETRY
NIKITA NIKITIN MARK FAYNE
ANDREW FERENCE JUSTIN SCHULTZ (rfa)
KEITH AULIE OSCAR KLEFBOM (INJ AND PETRY TRADE CALLUP)

That’s my guess, you may have a better one. This also allows Darnell Nurse to have his 9-game look if it comes to that (they can IR someone, it’s done all the time) and in reality Klefbom probably plays 20 games or more in the first half of the season anyway because of injuries. Petry’s value took a wallop today in terms of Oiler return, in a deep draft like 2015 we might be looking at a third-round selection at this year’s deadline.

This is a ghastly way to lose your best defenseman, I hope Justin Schultz is worth it. It would have been very nice for Darnell Nurse and Oscar Klefbom to get some minutes in the NHL (like Martin Marincin) alongside Petry, but as of today I don’t think we can get there from here.

CENTER OF ATTENTION

arcobello1

Every NHL team needs to rely on their minor league and procurement system for help, and in the case of the Edmonton Oilers the center position is in the spotlight. Mark Arcobello and Anton Lander from Oklahoma City, Bogdan Yakimov from Russia and Leon Draisaitl from the WHL are prominent names who could be a part of the team this winter.

CENTER
RYAN NUGENT-HOPKINS
MARK ARCOBELLO
LEON DRAISAITL
BOYD GORDON
ANTON LANDER
WILL ACTON (Barons)
JUJHAR KHAIRA (Barons)
BOGDAN YAKIMOV (Barons)

I’m less worried about center because of Arcobello’s strong showing a year ago. It would be very dangerous for the Oilers to deal Petry for a center at this point, it’ll still be crazy to do it in February. That said, it’s good Arco is here, and maybe Lander too. Those two can’t post offense, but the idea of three scoring lines always seemed like a distant bell, and that is once again the case.

PROJECTED OPENING NIGHT FORWARD DEPTH CHART

LEFT WING CENTER RIGHT WING
TAYLOR HALL RYAN NUGENT-HOPKINS JORDAN EBERLE
BENOIT POULIOT LEON DRAISAITL DAVID PERRON
NAIL YAKUPOV MARK ARCOBELLO TEDDY PURCELL
JESSE JOENSUU
BOYD GORDON MATT HENDRICKS
 LUKE GAZDIC (INJ)
ANTON LANDER*** TYLER PITLICK***

Craig MacTavish got quite a bit done on the blue line this summer, and did in fact retain Petry for the heart of the 2014-15 season. It appears as though he could not retain that blue AND deliver a strong option at center. I’m satisfied with this compromise, more satisfied than a deal that sent away defense for center.

MACT SUMMER 2014 LIST

1. A veteran top pairing defenseman. A real man, big time EV minutes and a history of successful sorties. Update:  Mark Fayne and Nikita Nikitin as a tandem represent a significant upgrade on the blue. Keeping Petry for most of the season was central to getting this piece of business done. Passing grade, you can check off balance in this area and I do believe the management group worked their bag off to make things better.
  2. A 2line C with experience and the ability to play a two-way game. This is the other vital piece, and MacT didn’t get it done. No excuses, that’s a fail if he can’t get quality before Labor day; the Arco-Draisaitl combination will get killed many nights this winter. It’s galling, not having a hammer, but Draisaitl and Nurse will one day be those men. I think this summer’s failure allows us to openly question where Taylor Hall will be playing when those two mature—it may not be Edmonton. It isn’t all the fault of Craig MacTavish but he will surely pay the price.
  3. A legit two-way winger who can score 12-15 goals. The Pisani role. Mentor, calms the waters. Update: Teddy Purcell has some of the elements we’re talking about here, although he’s not a terrific two-way type. He does give the team offense on the wing, and he has experience. Benoit Pouliot is a clear upgrade on this player, he’s basically another Perron. Whatever the failings at center, man does this team have some ammo on the wing.
  4. Find a way to get value, or make use of, Sam Gagner. This does not include time at center. Update: I like MacT’s aggressiveness in problem solving. He dealt 89 after the draft, and acquired an actual NHL player in Purcell. I’ve got miles of room to criticize the organization about handling Gagner, but the trade is fine from here.
  5. Improve the bottom 6F’s. The addition of Pouliot and Purcell gives the team enough wingers to slide a good player down to play with Yakupov. We’re not at three scoring lines, but this is a better group. The fourth line needed a Winnik/Moss, and perhaps there’s still hope, or Pitlick may win that role.
  6. Retain as much of the young cluster as possible, understanding that the player who represents #1 on this list might cost a young D who will one day fill that role.
  7. Get Petry signed long term. Awful. Just a bullet.
  8. Sign Schultz but DO NOT break the bank. Encouraging words today, as I read Stauffer reported the two sides are well apart. There’s iron in Craig MacTavish, I like that about him most of all. Steve Tambellini, take some notes.

This has been a bad day. No way around it.

(Photos by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved).

157 Responses to "IF I HAD A HAMMER"

1. TheOtherJohn says:

Fayne and Nikitan are not a repalcement for a top pairing D man

No 2C

2 biggest holes remain unfilled and we spent a shit pile of $$ getting here

TheOtherJohn:
    Fayne and Nikitan are not a repalcement for a top pairing D man

No 2C

2 biggest holes remain unfilled and we spent a shit pile of $$ getting here

Nah, not buying. That defensive depth chart is improved and, although they didn’t get a 1D, none have moved off the market either. I’m fine with ripping MacT over the center, Ottawa got a good one the other day and Dallas has turned their entire depth chart over (to the good) since Nill arrived.

Good work on D. Nice job there, mostly due to Fayne but it’s more experienced with Nikitin too.

3. VanOil says:

Mr. LT a day like today I advise downloading the CSNY 1974 live set, cranking the tunes, cracking a beer and enjoying a summers eve.

4. G Money says:

POINT 1 – ON PETRY

Petry: “I’m the best defenseman on the team. I’m worth $5M easy.”
    Oilers: “You’re the best defenseman on the worst defensive team in the league. Not even close to $5M.”

It’s the opposite of the Stanley Cup Halo that inflates the value of mediocre players on Championship teams. Call it the Oiler Contract Value Burning Tire Necklace.

Petry’s interview suggested that both sides thought a one year deal was best – Petry to maximize his value, and the Oilers to have him prove that he’s worth it.

This is as reasonable an explanation as any of the other more apocalyptic explanations out there.

5. RexLibris says:

With regards to the Defence, I’ve stated before that I really liked what Vancouver did, sorry, hang on, I must have a hair in my mouth because I’ve a sudden urge to spit…

As I was saying, when the Canucks went to the SCF they didn’t have a single elite stud D man in the fashion of Pronger, Doughty, Weber, Lidstrom, and so on. They had a collection of really good 1st and 2nd pairing so that the drop off from the 1st pairing to the third wasn’t enormous and they could defend at a high level almost by committee.

Now that D corps included Edler, Bieksa, Salo, Erhoff and Mitchell, so the Oilers are a long ways off from that kind of depth. But a winning blueline can take many different forms.

6. G Money says:

POINT 2 – ON ARCOBELLO

I cannot help but think that we are selling Marcobello short. (Get it? Hahahahahahaha! Short jokes! Classic!)

A quick tour through a Legwand vs Arcobello comparison:

Legwand: .62 ppg Arco: .44 ppg

And that’s after spending most of the latter half of his time in the league playing with bottom 6 forwards. >2 ppg in the AHL convinces me that Arco’s early season scoring is for real. I’m convinced that if Arco plays at 2C next year, the gap is not nearly as big.

Legwand CF/CF Rel: 49.5% +0.3% Arco CF/CF Rel: 48.1% +3.7%

Realistically – how different?

Legwand Penalty DIff: -17 Arco Penalty Diff: +7

A clear winner here, and it’s not Legwand.

Legwand ZS/QoC: 49.1% and 29.3% Arco ZS/QoC: 47% and 28.1%

Again – slight advantage to Legwand on ZS and slight advantage to Arco on QoC. Not meaningful though.

Given what we saw last year (a willingness to skate, a willingness to hit, a willingness to play two way hockey) from Arco last year, I’m not as scared at this point that Arco as a stopgap 2C is as bad as people here fear it will be.

7. regwald says:

We have seen this movie before. Faced with Nuge coming off shoulder surgery, MacT chose to trade Horc, buyout Belanger and signed Gordon. He didn’t address center position.

This looks like he’s hoping on Arco, Yakimov, JarJar and Dr Drai. Not the best way to compete against Kesler and Getzlaf and Thornton and Carter and Stoll, etc etc

8. G Money says:

regwald,

Yeah but barring a “Malkin for a 7th” trade, under no realistic circumstances is this team competing with Anaheim, Chicago, LA, etc. next year anyway. Not a snowball’s chance in Hell.

That’s not going to happen until the Nuge is an elite 1C, Dr. Drai is an elite 2C, and Nurse & Klefbom can handle legitimate top pairing NHL duties.

So why get our shorts in a knot that this leaves the Oilers short of Cup contention?

That was not going to come remotely close to happening next year no way no how no matter what.

9. G Money says:

RexLibris,

I think you should call it the “Carolina” model. Those guys actually won something.

10. RT26 says:

Two questions:

1) Are we certain Petry wanted to stay here, and was open to a long term extension?
    2) If this $3M deal enables something bigger for 2C, does that change the math for you LT?

11. Frank The Dog says:

There’s more shoes to drop.
    Much of the speculation on this blog has been based on incompetent management and appalling trades. MacT has shown us he’s intelligent, shrewd, with an iron core. If we are gong to prognosticate with any degree of accuracy, we need to work on the basis that MacT:

1) Actually takes care of his players – witness Hemsky, Horcoff;
    2) Will not trade unless it increases the competitiveness of the team
    3) Is aiming high
    4) Will sign Petry if he is the best available D at the price and term he is willing to accept; or will cut him loose/ trade him for a 100th round 2020 pick etc. and bring in the D he wants or needs. I would think he would have the new D lined up before he cut Petry loose, whoever that may be.
    5) May trade an unrealistic/uncooperative Schultz as part of a trade for a #1D or #2C.

The shoe will drop, that silver fox isn’t done just yet.

12. B.C.B says:

G Money:
    regwald,

The point I don’t get is how are Nurse and Klefbom going to make a top pairing defense unit?
    Both are Left-Handed & LD playing skaters. I idea of trading Petry once the kids (Klef, Nurse, Marinčin . . . all left handed shots) are ready is asinine.

G Money:
    POINT 1 – ON PETRY

Petry: “I’m the best defenseman on the team.I’m worth $5M easy.”
    Oilers: “You’re the best defenseman on the worst defensive team in the league.Not even close to $5M.”

It’s the opposite of the Stanley Cup Halo that inflates the value of mediocre players on Championship teams.Call it the Oiler Contract Value Burning Tire Necklace.

Stoll, Torres, Glencross, Pitkanen, Hejda, Greene say Lowe and MacT are wrong, and Petry is right.

Hey. If you are 30, or another teams UFA, Lowe and MacT with throw money at you, but if you are an emerging mid-twenty something OIler who has paid their dues, Lowe and MacT only have the boot.

14. cahill says:

I wonder if it would make sense to grab a guy like Winnik (who can also play center) for the 4th line and bump Gordon up to play the Horcoff mentoring role with Yakupov.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
    Perron-Dr.Drai/Arco-Purcell
    Pouliot-Gordon-Yakupov
    Winnik-Hendricks-Lander/Arcobello/Gazdic/Dr. Drai

I worry that Arco is the only RH shot center the Oil have. I think it might make sense to also pickup Jim O’Brien (not sure if he signed in Europe or anywhere) or trade Florida for Drew Shore big right hand shot C that is waiver eligible.

G Money:
    RexLibris,

I think you should call it the “Carolina” model.Those guys actually won something.

Because MacT dressed his 3rd string goalie instead of his 2nd string goalie in the SCF, game 1.

To be clear, I think MacT made the RIGHT decision in retaining Petry. It’s a kick in the nuts, but he needed Petry to be here this winter. Hopefully Petry signs, I have sincere doubts.

As for the C, again I think MacT is right to keep his powder dry. How much better than Arco are the men being offered.

All that said, he’s still the one who needed to add a C and hasn’t done it.

17. Yak2 says:

LT,

You need to calm down with the 2C and how it’s an epic failure. The season doesn’t start for another 3 months, 2 for training camp. There’s plenty of time to find a 2C. And even if he doesn’t find it during the summer, he can still get one during the season. 2nd line center’s aren’t a dime a dozen. They’re everywhere. Believe in MacT.

Yak2:
    LT,

The Oilers needed help at center. They’ve replaced Gagner with Draisaitl. I’m calm. I’m also aware of the danger here.

19. o1l3rsf@n says:

YUP. Big fail so far on the 2c (again)

I’m kind of Ok (not rlly) with arco and leon taking the 2-3c jobs with lander competing.
    Also ppl forget hendricks can play center . Problem is they lacking a veteran top 2 center with size ( I guess they think leon will fill this role as a rookie )
    And what happens if RNH and/or GORDON get hurt . Would be pitiful .

I can live with the defence and goalies now. Also it’s good to see our depth at wings now.
    Keep on trucking Mac-t .

20. Dicky94 says:

I still don’t think MacT is done yet with the centre position or defense for that matter. There will be a trade yet. We wait…

21. bigbadbruin24 says:

I have to agree with what a few have posted already. There is more to come. This is not the lineup that will open the season. A trade still materializes for the Oil.

As for Petry…it is hard to argue that this is NOT the kind of contract Oil fans would have hoped for at all.

22. Pouzar says:

G Money:
    POINT 2 – ON ARCOBELLO

I cannot help but think that we are selling Marcobello short.(Get it?Hahahahahahaha!Short jokes!Classic!)

A quick tour through a Legwand vs Arcobello comparison:

Legwand: .62 ppg Arco: .44 ppg

And that’s after spending most of the latter half of his time in the league playing with bottom 6 forwards.>2 ppg in the AHL convinces me that Arco’s early season scoring is for real.I’m convinced that if Arco plays at 2C next year, the gap is not nearly as big.

Legwand CF/CF Rel: 49.5% +0.3%Arco CF/CF Rel: 48.1% +3.7%

Realistically – how different?

Legwand Penalty DIff: -17Arco Penalty Diff: +7

A clear winner here, and it’s not Legwand.

Legwand ZS/QoC:49.1% and 29.3%Arco ZS/QoC: 47% and 28.1%

Again – slight advantage to Legwand on ZS and slight advantage to Arco on QoC.Not meaningful though.

Agreed. I have zero issue with giving Arco a chance to play 2nd comp on the 2nd line or wherever that may be with actual hockey players.

23. Pouzar says:

Sidebar: Where is John McCarron playing next year?

24. regwald says:

G Money,

Pouzar:
    Sidebar: Where is John McCarron playing next year?

Looks like Cornell at this point.

26. thejonrmcleod says:

Stauffer mentioned more than once today that the Oilers don’t want to reach their max number of contracts. To me, this suggests that MacT wants some flexibility to make some moves. Maybe he’s hoping for a salary dump. A player to the Oilers for a pick.

27. ashley says:

Pretty harsh. I think MacT did ok. Deals are not sitting on trees for plucking once the window opens. The player has to want to come. The money has to be right for both parties. It’s not as simple as it might seem to be.

He said he wanted to improve center, and it’s likely he tried very hard. But he can’t bury the future to satisfy our roster dreams today. A bad contract could do just that.

As far as trade is concerned, I can see you are somewhat disappointed that Petry wasn’t moved for a C, especially when keeping him was only for a one year contract prior to UFA. However, this story isn’t over. The most likely place a pending UFA ends up is the same place he skates right now. For all we know, the conversation was something like “if you want that kind of money, let’s see you work for another 6 months and talk again in January.” An extension is a very real possibility.

I know you don’t like Arco as the solution here, but I believe they run him at 2C, and my eyes do see 3 very talented scoring lines. That’s not pollyanna which I’ve never been accused of anyway. This is the real deal. 3 scoring lines and a significant upgrade at D and G. This is a bubble team next year, and when the wins start coming more easily, Jeff will be more willing to sign something longer term.

Personally, I think the biggest disappointment is going too quickly for Nikita. We couldn’t know that Ehroff would be available, but a nice overpay at 7.5 x 2 would have been a better move (or 6.5 x 4) and perhaps would have brought him here.

Failing that, our old friend Gilbert or Nikita could have been the plan B. I think Gilbert would slot in as the best D on this depth chart, and he signed a value contract in Montreal.

If we gave him Nikita’s money, surely he would have come.

28. blainer says:

LT.. MacT will get that center.. There will be a deal made with one of the following teams..Dallas, St Louis..or the Islanders. The question is ..what will he give up …Draft pics will be huge in this years draft..the most I see is a 2nd or 3rd rounder plus a prospect…If we go into next year with that center depth chart we are screwed..Get that top center and we have the chance to be another Colorado with great goaltending…As for Petry..not upset with that deal at all. Show us you are a No. 1 defensemen this year and we will pay you as a UFA. If not ..we will get a great 1st rounder at the deadline…We have lots of depth on the farm..even if they are left handed…

29. wheatnoil says:

The other shoe to drop may not be the 2C, it might be Schultz’s contract.

MacT may not want to have all three of his right-handed D positions on long-term contracts (not an unreasonable desire in order to have flexibility), especially with a plethora of young defensemen on the way. He’s already got Fayne signed up for the next 4 years.

Here’s my guess: MacT is not going to sign Schultz long-term either. I think he’ll bridge Schultz as well. With Fayne already signed long-term, he may only want one of Schultz or Petry signed for the long haul. So he signs them both to shorter contracts to give him more time to decide which one is the keeper to join Fayne in the Top 4 and which one to move on when the young D are ready to take the 3rd line D role.

MacT has given Schultz some over-the-moon verbal, but we also know that he pays attention to possession stats when it comes to D. He must have seen Schultz’s possession stats and how poor they are. Perhaps that’s given him some pause.

This may be as much of a ‘show me’ year for Schultz as it is for Petry. If Schultz takes a step up and guys like Klefbom or Simpson are showing well, they might trade Petry. If Schultz continues to raise some red flags in regards to possession, it might be him that’s flipped in trade, with Petry signed to a long-term contract soon after.

We’ll have a better idea once Schultz’s contract is signed, what MacT may be thinking.

Edit: To be clear, I still think Petry should have been signed to a 3 or 4 year contract now, up to $4.5M if it could’ve been done. This is just me trying to take a stab at understanding MacT’s thinking. I’d love having Petry, Fayne and Schultz on the right side for a couple more years, but I understand the hesitation in giving all 3 of them long-term contracts and hamstringing your flexibility.

30. TheBusDriver86 says:

MacT is not done. Hes getting that #2 C. He dealt for Perron on July 10 last year and I think hes still working on a similar deal for that center this year. He will trade for one this week.

ashley:

As far as trade is concerned, I can see you are somewhat disappointed that Petry wasn’t moved for a C, especially when keeping him was only for a one year contract prior to UFA.However, this story isn’t over.

Absolutely onboard with keeping Petry and not trading him for a C, mentioned it in the article. I think Petry staying was MORE important than adding the C. But once you traded Gagner, it means getting a vet C was vital.

The summer isn’t over, but teams are finishing up across the league. We may see a trade happen, and the Oilers could use a C and a W imo. At this point, I think it’s fair to look at the center depth chart and suggest it is not good at all.

Which is what I did.

32. ashley says:

Oh and I don’t think a trade is/was going to help. In fact, I think it makes things a lot worse. I would rather have Petry on the blue than some 15 minute a night B list center. This is whac-a-mole. The freebies were signed on July 1-2. Now we pay the price to add, and chances are MacT didn’t like the price.

ashley:
    Oh and I don’t think a trade is/was going to help.In fact, I think it makes things a lot worse.I would rather have Petry on the blue than some 15 minute a night B list center.This is whac-a-mole.The freebies were signed on July 1-2.Now we pay the price to add, and chances are MacT didn’t like the price.

Yes. I wrote this in the original post, and just agreed with you again.

34. ashley says:

Ah, we just said the same thing on a simultaneous post (Petry more important than C).

I think I get where you’re coming from now. A trade could work if a team was willing to take picks/prospects for an NHL’er. You don’t see that often, unless it’s the Oilers where they send out actual NHL players for picks/prospects.

5 assets.

ashley:

I think I get where you’re coming from now.A trade could work if a team was willing to take picks/prospects for an NHL’er.You don’t see that often, unless it’s the Oilers where they send out actual NHL players for picks/prospects.

5 assets.

Yes. I’m cheering for MacT, and do think he covered off D (to a fault, that Petry deal is a killer) and he had to. But now he’s got C and he needs a man, and he’s not going to give up the farm.

I’m onside, but he’s going to get lit up if this team gets crushed in the fall and he didn’t help more at C.

36. Melman says:

“Epic fail” is a pretty harsh criticism on July 7th. MacT had a looooooong to do list and checking off all the boxes within 2 weeks is an unrealistic expectation. I doubt he had Brad Richards offering to play here on a 1 year at $2.5. If you, me and everyone between NY and LA knows Edm. needs better C depth, I’m sure MacT knows it too. I’d rather he wait for the right deal than handcuff himself.

BTW – haven’t heard it much but I think he deserves a tap of the stick for not giving Pouliot an NTC/NMC. Giving extra length and $ is worth that flexibility.

Melman:
    “Epic fail” is a pretty harsh criticism on July 7th.MacT had a looooooong to do list and checking off all the boxes within 2 weeks is an unrealistic expectation.I doubt he had Brad Richards offering to play here on a 1 year at $2.5.If you, me and everyone between NY and LA knows Edm. needs better C depth, I’m sure MacT knows it too.I’d rather he wait for the right deal than handcuff himself.

BTW – haven’t heard it much but I think he deserves a tap of the stick for not giving Pouliot an NTC/NMC.Giving extra length and $ is worth that flexibility.

That’s fair, I altered that portion.

38. wheatnoil says:

Melman:

He may have learned his lesson from last year. The only player on the team with a NMC/NTC now is Ference.

39. Melman says:

I kind of feel like i just got a gold star from teach :)

40. Jasmine says:

Lowetide: Once MacT traded Sam Gagner, he put himself in a position where adding a veteran C was vital. When you say a 2C is readily available, were it true he would be here. If RNH goes down in TC (or as happened to Fisher today, in summer) the Oilers are badly exposed.

41. OilClog says:

I don’t know..

Say if the Oilers had Petry, and ROR.

If either player was to go down to injury, trade, hibernation, Which player would hurt the team more by not being there?

I’d say that 2C is above 3D, Petry is a very good defenceman just not a top pairing on a contending or even good team.

I don’t see how this contract lessons his value, unless he tanks and has no value?

42. OilClog says:

Jasmine: Oilers fans ran Gagner out of town like they run every other player out of town. The minute these players traded, they’re suddenly superstars according to Oilers fans.

Because he was nearly bought out but acquired for a 6th round pick instead?

He spent more time chewing on that mouth guard then back checking.

43. Dicky94 says:

Is Shultz on the way out? The return would be very nice I would think. Would much rather have a big mobile d that can play defence and move the puck up the ice. Maybe Nurse is ready.

Melman:

I kind of feel like i just got a gold star from teach :)

The idea of the blog is to be completely fair. Now, it fails miserably, but it doesn’t mean the guy writing the posts can’t aspire to it. :-) Thanks for keeping me in check!

45. bigbadbruin24 says:

LT, with Petry signing the one year deal set at 3.075, do you take a Boychuk and Kelly for Petry and a fifth? Should leave the Oilers with just enough to get Shultz signed. Kelly is obviously not the answer at 2c but assuming he is healthy and willing to go to the Oil he could be useful. I still think a Philly deal gets done instead but wondering if this offer would be appealing to both sides.

46. Yak2 says:

Yeah but you’re making it out to be like the season is starting tomorrow. 2nd line C’s are easy to get but keep in mind you need the right one. You can’t just go and get one. If we did, we could end up with another Gagner, offensive but defensively deficient. A trade for a 2C will come. Patience my good man.

47. ashley says:

Lowetide: The idea of the blog is to be completely fair. Now, it fails miserably, but it doesn’t mean the guy writing the posts can’t aspire to it. Thanks for keeping me in check!

Reasonable, open-minded, and a dash of humility. You sure are a likeable guy, LT. But I must remind you that this is the internet, and there is no place for any of that here.

If we ever meet by chance, I’m buying.

48. Bling says:

I still have a hunch that Schultz is gone.

It makes too much sense. There’s a hole at C, and you have multiple guys (Klefbom, Nurse, Simpson, Musil, Gernat) who are close to being able to play those 3rd pairing minutes, not to mention a stop-gap guy in Aulie.

The team is strong enough up front to run 4F/1D, or even 5F PP units.

Hall/RNH/Ebs/Yak/Petry
    Perron/Arco/Purcell/Pouliot/Nikitin

49. Ryan says:

OilClog: Because he was nearly bought out but acquired for a 6th round pick instead?

He spent more time chewing on that mouth guard then back checking.

He was acquired for a sixth round pick with 1/3 of his salary retained by TB.

50. LadiesloveSmid says:

Would Perron net you maybe Anisimov and a 2nd or something? Desperately need that temporary 2C. You could sign a guy like Penner, and push Pouliot to 2LW

Hall-RNH-Eberle
    Pouliot-Anisimov-Yakcity
    Penner-Arco-Purcell
    Hendricks-Gordon-Lander

51. Ryan says:

LadiesloveSmid:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
    Pouliot-Anisimov-Yakcity
    Penner-Arco-Purcell
    Hendricks-Gordon-Lander

I like the cut of your jib, I love Penner, I’d rather sign Penner and trade Peron for a centre than deal a dman like Petry for a centre.

52. Ryan says:

Ryan: I like the cut of your jib, I love Penner,I’d rather sign Penner and trade Peron for a centre than deal a dman like Petry for a centre.

That being said, the 1 year Petry extension is a concern.

53. LadiesloveSmid says:

Ryan,

Yep. Trading Petry, their best Dman, as he enters his prime is a mistake. Although trading Schultz is pretty risky now with Petry’s deal expiring in a year. I think you stick with the improved D they have and move a guy like Perron for a centre. If RNH goes down, EDM is donezo. Might as well call up McEichel.

Sacrifice a bit of goalscoring in Perron for a strong centre in Anisimov. Penner and Pouliot as sort of 2/3L tweeners’ll do a fine job on the left side. Slot Draisaitl in 3C in 2015/16 and when he’s ready he’ll jump Anisimov. RNH-Leon-Anisimov-Gordon’d be great

MacT verbal on the Petry deal.

Sounds reasonable.

55. PDO says:

Petry + 2015 2nd

For

ROR (sign him to the Hall contract) and Stefan Eliott.

What say you Oiler fans?

56. Gret99zky says:

The longer it takes for the other shoe to drop the more likely it won’t happen.

Those first 20 games are going to be sooooooo important.

57. RexLibris says:

G Money:
    RexLibris,

58. bendelson says:

LadiesloveSmid:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
    Pouliot-Anisimov-Yakcity
    Penner-Arco-Purcell
    Hendricks-Gordon-Lander

Perron for Anisimov and Calvert has been mentioned. Whether it’s at all possible is unknown but I like it better than Perron and a 2nd (which would also need to be looked at seriously should it actually be an option available to MacT).

PDO:
    Petry + 2015 2nd

For

ROR (sign him to the Hall contract) and Stefan Eliott.

What say you Oiler fans?

I get $5000 and I only have to pay $2500?

Where do I sign up?

Is this a full time gig?

Seriously PDO, that’s very lopsided.

60. RexLibris says:

61. RexLibris says:

thejonrmcleod:

Kris Russell is a good example of this. Feaster didn’t claim him on waivers and instead traded a 5th round pick for him, citing contract concerns at the time (personally I think it was just another bungled move by Feaster and Weisbrod). Either way, he has worked out rather well there as a depth, puck moving D who can play 2nd PP time.

62. Gret99zky says:

(RNH & ???)

Vs.

(Toews & B Richards)
    (Kopitar & M Richards)
    (Backes & Stastny)
    (Spezza & Seguin)
    (Getzlaf & Kesler)
    (Thornton & Pavelski)
    (Duchene & MacKinnon)

Yikes.

63. RexLibris says:

Also the result of having hundreds of people reading every word you write. Kind of like an army of copy editors looking over your shoulder. Or, as some would call it, Hell.

Flip side is, there are hundreds (more?) of people who pore over your every word, every day.

If you weren’t doing a good job, we wouldn’t be here.

64. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: I get $5000 and I only have to pay $2500?

Where do I sign up?

Is this a full time gig?

Seriously PDO, that’s very lopsided.

He forgot to mention the Rohypnol in Sakic’s water.

Remember when Sather seemed to make one or two of those trades every year?

65. belcolt91 says:

Man, I love Schultz for the player he is, and I think he’ll figure out the game at some point and hammer down a nice career.

That said, if he can solve 2C DO IT MACT PLEASE.

66. Zelepukin says:

Pouzar:
    fyi

this reads as if Yakimov is controlling the whole game.

67. bill needle says:

Finally the Oilers demand some accountability out of their players. No more five-year deals just because your the best player on the worst team in hockey.
    Petry might be the best defenceman on the team now, but he won’t be at the trade deadline, and he certainly won’t be if the Oilers don’t trade him at the end of the year. New additions and youngsters will pass him by and turn him into the Johnny Oduya that he aspires to be.

68. PDO says:

Woodguy: I get $5000 and I only have to pay $2500?

Where do I sign up?

Is this a full time gig?

Seriously PDO, that’s very lopsided.

I’m banking on Sakic being fairly stupid (he appears to be). Elliot has nice underlying numbers but seemingly isn’t their plans.

By all accounts Colorado doesn’t want to pay ROR. For whatever reason. They just plain do not want to pay the man.

Petry is at worst a top 4D. ROR is their 2nd line C. The 2nd is in the 2015 draft where all 2nd’s are apparently worth 1sts… especially if they belong to the Oiler’s.

Is the deal better for Colorado if it’s Jultz?

I’m assuming Petry +2nd is still being offered around the league as Rishaug said before, and I think any team trading for Petry today would be confident they can resign him to a long term deal.

69. Zelepukin says:

Gret99zky:
    (RNH & ???)

Vs.

(Toews & B Richards)
    (Kopitar & M Richards)
    (Backes & Stastny)
    (Spezza & Seguin)
    (Getzlaf & Kesler)
    (Thornton & Pavelski)
    (Duchene & MacKinnon)

Yikes.

?? is already better in the dots than Gagner.

70. teddyturnbuckle says:

If I had a hammer, I’d hammer in the morning, I’d hammer in the evening all over this land!

71. G Money says:

RexLibris: Vancouver kept up a higher level of play longer than Carolina. And Carolina virtually lucked their way into the SCF. Give Buffalo a single defenseman who still had two functioning legs beneath him and it is the Sabres/Oilers in the final.

Oh, I’m *very* familiar with how much good luck the Hurricanes were the beneficiaries of that year. Not only the Sabres, but every one of their opponents (and in the end the Oilers) were hampered by severe injuries to key players, while the Hurricanes actually got a player back for the SCF.

Nonetheless …

The Hurricanes have a Stanley Cup.

The Canooks do not.

Despite the pain involved in the first statement, the second one gives me great comfort.

Besides, if the Canucks had ever won, not only would everyone of them become even more insufferable, but those rioting bandwagon-jumping mofos would have wrecked their whole fookin’ province, and I have a cabin in BC!

72. Pouzar says:

Zelepukin: this reads as if Yakimov is controlling the whole game.

Khaira as well

73. RexLibris says:

G Money: Oh, I’m *very* familiar with how much good luck the Hurricanes were the beneficiaries of that year.Not only the Sabres, but every one of their opponents (and in the end the Oilers) were hampered by severe injuries to key players, while the Hurricanes actually got a player back for the SCF.

Nonetheless …

The Hurricanes have a Stanley Cup.

The Canooks do not.

I’d like to see a Canucks/Habs SCF before I die.

Win or lose, guaranteed riot night!

74. G Money says:

regwald: So you are saying it is okay to start the year knowing your center’s can’t compete and it could mean another potential lottery pick ?

Yep.

Especially if the alternative is to make some stupid short-sighted move that does pretty much nothing in terms of making the team meaningfully more competitive, short OR long term, yet in the process creates yet more gaping long-term holes in a still leaky roster to shore up a C position that will already be ably filled in two or three years.

That is perfectly OK by me.

regwald: We have seen this movie before. Faced with Nuge coming off shoulder surgery, MacT chose to trade Horc, buyout Belanger and signed Gordon.

By the way, I’m curious about this sentence.

In my books, one was the right thing to do (even if it hurt, it wouldn’t have changed the Oilers results last year, not one meaningful bit, other than possibly taking us out of the Draisaitl/Bennett choice range), one was absolutely a must, and the third was brilliant.

Yet your sentence in context reads like a criticism.

Horcoff aside, you truly feel that getting rid of Belanger and getting Gordon were somehow bad?

75. Ryan says:

teddyturnbuckle:

Nicely done!

76. Ryan says:

teddyturnbuckle:

77. PDO says:

The video of Kharia going bankhand shelf on the Forsberg dangle is stupid. How the hell is he that strong?

I don’t even….

78. rickithebear says:

bendelson: Perron for Anisimov and Calvert has been mentioned.Whether it’s at all possible is unknown but I like it better than Perron and a 2nd (which would also need to be looked at seriously should it actually be an option available to MacT).

Perron top 26 in goals.
    what top 30 Goal scorer are we trading for to replace that!
    For around 3.8M for the next 2 years.

79. G Money says:

Ryan,

I do not think the Pancakes that is the subject of all this recent man-love on this blog is anywhere near as effective a player as the Pancakes that was here a few years ago – and that player was already maddeningly inconsistent.

And it appears he’s worn out his welcome in a lot of otherwise friendly places, given trades away from LA, Anaheim, and now unsigned by anyone.

80. bigbadbruin24 says:

rickithebear: Perron top 26 in goals.
    what top 30 Goal scorer are we trading for to replace that!
    For around 3.8M for the next 2 years.

This ^^

I don’t think trading Perron is the answer. Solid player, solid contract, solid part of the team.

81. jp says:

o1l3rsf@n:

Also ppl forget hendricks can play center .

Just thinking that myself. I’d completely forgotten about that. He didn’t play last year, but was 5th and 6th on the Caps in FO the previous 2 yrs. Not a full time C, but he’s done it (and consistently excellent on draws too).

It’s far from ideal, but there are some options. Still screwed if RNH goes down, and if Arco/Leon struggle your “3 scoring lines” are shot, but it’s not QUITE as bad as I’ve been thinking.

RNH
    Arco/Draisaitl
    Gordon
    Hendricks
    Lander

2C is certainly still the #1 area of weakness though.

82. jp says:

RexLibris: That’s just smart management going into the summer. You never know who is going to be waived by another team and it would be a bad situation for the Oilers if a potential 2C or extra RHD was available but they couldn’t pick him up due to contracts.

83. jp says:

RexLibris: I’d like to see a Canucks/Habs SCF before I die.

Win or lose, guaranteed riot night!

Lol, 6 or 7 of them. That would be quite something! And lots of olay olay olay.

84. rickithebear says:

PDO:
    The video of Kharia going bankhand shelf on the Forsberg dangle is stupid.How the hell is he that strong?

I don’t even….

have you ever shovelled cement.
    Think of shovelling grain that weighs 5 times more.
    Helping his dad in summers on the cement truck.

85. denny33 says:

Draft Draisaitl, and then make your best D man available to all in 12 months….why can’t we just simply accumulate good players?

Now, if Mac T has something brewing trade wise with Petry fair enough…..but if we start the year counting down Petrys time as an Oiler this will be bad…

Just not sure teams in the west tremble at the thought of facing Nikitin and Schultz.

The ball is in Mac T’s court, big time.

86. supernova says:

RT26:
    Two questions:

Answer To 1)

I think Petry is very astute with this move.

He strikes me as having a Reasonable grasp on many things at once.

1) he knows he is an attractive commodity to the league

Tall, RH, Good Skater, improving, nearing the magical 300 games played.

2) he plays reasonably well on a bad team

3) not expensive

4) hits UFA at a young age when the cap is gonna increase to its highest level ever

5) current market is very negative towards him

6) current management never helps him publicly with this

7) aware he is on the outside of the core, highly unlikely to ever be a part of the core

In my mind his agent, colleagues, family, and himself are aware of all these and probably many more.

Why not force the hand you are dealt, in all likelihood he will only gain.

Worst thing is a career ending injury.

Very smart play by Petry.

That Khaira move is freak show, Bobby Hull stuff. What the hell?

88. PDO says:

rickithebear: have you ever shovelled cement.
    Think of shovelling grain that weighs 5 times more.
    Helping his dad in summers on the cement truck.

I have.

I sure as hell didn’t do it with my arm turned backwards and stretched away from my body though.

89. regwald says:

G Money: Yep.

That is perfectly OK by me.

By the way, I’m curious about this sentence.

Yet your sentence in context reads like a criticism.

It was meant as a case study comment. Faced with similar issues last summer, MacT added Gordon, hoped Gagner was better (injury hurt this past season yes) but knew Nuge was 6-8 weeks away from starting. That is similar behaviour to what we are seeing again now.

If he turns around and makes a deal to improve the center slot, then my comments don’t matter. My argument is he may do nothing.

90. PDO says:

That Khaira move is freak show, Bobby Hull stuff. What the hell?

I demand his internet search history.

91. OilClog says:

Gret99zky:
    (RNH & ???)

Vs.

(Toews & B Richards)
    (Kopitar & M Richards)
    (Backes & Stastny)
    (Spezza & Seguin)
    (Getzlaf & Kesler)
    (Thornton & Pavelski)
    (Duchene & MacKinnon)

Yikes.

It’s Carter as #2 in LA.

Ryan: He was acquired for a sixth round pick with 1/3 of his salary retained by TB.

Those Tampa fans sure did hate him!

92. stevezie says:

Off topic question, but can anyone tell me which site allows your to sort records since a certain season? For example, if I want to see which defenceman lead the league in goals between 1994 and 1999? I know I’ve seen this, but I can’t find it right now.

Thanks.

93. Racki says:

stevezie:

Thanks.

I haven’t looked, but I want to say that http://www.hockey-reference.com/ is good for that kind of stuff.

94. HallDown says:

Guessing Jultz and Petry are hustling MacT because they’re Right shot D in a Left shot world, with no prospects threatening them from below. Blame Tambellini. Don’t forget, Jultz has ditched a team before when he doesn’t like the scene.
    Far as C goes, Oilers history suggests Draisaitl will start on 2nd line just like Hall and RNH. This is not a great option but it’s better than trading our shiny new D for a temp, as consensus here goes.

The important thing to remember here is, the Oilers were not a quick-fix team when MacT took over. He did some patching and painting last year, and a full out Pimp My Ride this summer. At this point, I really think he wants to turn the keys over to the young prospects, and is only biding time until this happens. If a short term C can be found a la Nikitin great, if not then let Arco have his day in the sun until Draisaitl and one of Yakimov or Khaira can take over after next season.
    This means Oiler fans will have to be patient. BLECH.

95. wheatnoil says:

Woodguy:
    MacT verbal on the Petry deal.

Sounds reasonable.

For those, like me often times, who aren’t always in a place where they can listen to audio…

re Petry: “We looked at a longer term deal with him, we just really couldn’t agree on the longer term deal… It’s a bit of a risky deal for us because we’re exposed on the asset and we very much view Jeff as a high end asset for us, but at the same time we’ve got to see what the level is for Jeff. Jeff is anticipating a high level and he’s got the ability to hit it out of the park and we hope that’s the case and we’re right back at the negotiating table next year negotiating a long term deal based on a tremendous season and a big upgrade over what we’ve seen the last few years, which has been pretty good… We did offer him a longer term deal and somebody who didn’t have confidence in their ability would have probably taken it… but I think it’s a good deal for both parties, I really do. I think it’s the perfect compromise. I’m of the mindset that you can’t have a bunch of defensemen making, you know, $4 million. I think you want some making 7 and some making 1. The guys that are making 4, you can’t fill out your roster and I think you can allocate your dollars for defense better than having a bunch of people all at the same price point.”

My Humble Interpretation: MacT low-balled the long-term deal (edit: low-balled is too harsh of a term), looking at him more as 2nd pairing kind of guy, maybe something more like Fayne money or a bit better. Petry felt he had the ability to be a legitimate 1st pairing guy and is looking at something more in the $5 million range. So they agreed to do a year and revisit. We’ll see. I think Petry’s earned more faith than that, but it all depends on what he was asking for, which we’ll never know. MacT goes on to start talking about the $4 million dollar range, which concerns me. If Petry was asking for around $4 or $4.5, I sure wish they would’ve signed him to that longer term contract.

re Schultz: “That’s still ongoing. I think that both sides fully expect to get a deal. We want to treat Justin very very fairly. He’s working his way through the system. I guess at this point that’s probably the friction point. When you compare him to guys on our team, where he fits in is not going to be entirely reflective of our value of him, it’s more a reflection of the system and where he is in the system.”

My Humble Interpretation: Schultz may be looking for the $6 by 6 that the other members of the “core” got after their entry level and MacT may be more interested in bridging him a much lower rate. ‘Look, we really like you, we think you’re a part of the core, but you’re just coming off your entry level and you’re a long ways to UFA, so we’re not going to pay you like you’re farther along than that’. Hence the ‘where he is in the system’ verbal.

96. Numenius says:

Dicky94:
    Is Shultzon the way out? The return would be very nice I would think. Would much rather have a big mobile d that can play defence and move the puck up the ice. Maybe Nurse is ready.

In his interview today, McT said Schultz is part of the core and has tremendous upside. I don’t think he’s on the way out.

97. Gret99zky says:

HallDown:

This means Oiler fans will have to be patient. BLECH.

I wonder who is more patient? Oiler fans or players who are sick of losing.

MacT has to get these kids some veteran help and some wins. Another bottom 5 finish may lead to players giving up on this team for brighter days.

New arena be damned.

98. stevezie says:

Racki,

I thought that was the site I wanted too, but either I was wrong, or it’s menu is too dense and user-hostile for me to find what I’m looking for.

Or it’s day thirteen and I’m too stupid to function. I blame/credit Bendelson.

99. Hammers says:

Jasmine I so agree . Last year it was sign Gags to under $5 mill this year its play him on the wing or get rid of him . Guess what his gone and 90% of us agreed he should not play center so we are no worse off if Gags had stayed ( on the wing ) . I hate this on and off the bus on McT . Either the glass is half empty or half full . Better to sit back with $8.7 mill & 1 RFA to sign (Schultz ) than jump out of the frying pan into the fire . GIVE IT TIME .

100. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Not a big Pete Seeger fan.

I like the Trini Lopez version though.

I’m more partial to “Lemon Tree” though

fantastic tune.

And, “Made in Paris”

is just hilariously damn good.

101. Racki says:

stevezie:
    Racki,

Or it’s day thirteen and I’m too stupid to function. I blame/credit Bendelson.

Hahaha, I hear you. It might not be it, but I’ve managed to stumble my way on some sort of stats like you’re looking for, I’m sure, but I find the menu pretty clumsy to work with too. Information overload! Just give me one button that says “Click here for the stats you need”

102. Dicky94 says:

Numenius,

Ya just listened to the interview. Sounds like he isn’t going anywhere which is fine by me. Still believe there will be a trade for a centre though. Hope they don’t try the Hall at centre experiment again.

103. Hammers says:

Gret99zky: The clock is ticking on MacT getting a center. I realize it’s only July but as training camp and the season gets closer other GM’s start into “let’s wait and see what we’ve got” mode.The longer it takes for the other shoe to drop the more likely it won’t happen.Those first 20 games are going to be sooooooo important.

Only difference is a few teams are in trouble in both having to sign RFA’s and or there cap space is gone . Don’t Panic .

104. Hammers says:

RexLibris: I had proposed that trading Gagner was vital to the team’s progress last season not because I believed that Gagner was functionally an impediment to the OIlers’ improving, but because the team needed a better 2C option and moving Gagner would create a wound on the roster so open and gushing that not even Tambellini could ignore it. Okay, he probably could, but you get the point. They have a stopgap in Arcobello whom the analytics suggest is a player, despite his size. That MacTavish has decided to rely on Arcobello rather than blow his roster apart to address a crucial support hole means that as much as he is in a rush to improve the team, he won’t do it at all costs. Also, I think there is a good chance that Petry re-signs. This contract strikes me as being a compromise between the two positions – it allows the Oilers to offer more money on the next contract and avoid cap constraints in the short term and gives Petry a potential out if he changes his mind. Risk-Reward for both sides. Petry could get less than $4.5 million on the open market (stranger things have happened, see Tom Gilbert last off-season) and the Oilers could find themselves flush with younger, cheaper D options mid-season and try to move Petry for picks/players. I’m neither pessimistic nor optimistic at this point. Like the Zen Master, I shall wait and see.

Amen to that brother .

105. Hammers says:

jp: Or more likely the “Pisani” is available at a good price. Interesting that both Winnik and Moss, 2 of the favorite UFA targets of this blog, are still out there. Either of those guys for 1.5M per would be an awfully nice boost.

Only for 1 year .

106. Lois Lowe says:

I was at the Blue and White game tonigt in Jasper (aside: the Oilers were confused about which team was which and handed out programs incorrectly identifying Team “Blue” that wore white, and Team “White” that wore blue).

I am not an evaluator of talent, nor am I a hockey expert, so take my observations with a dumptruck’s worth of salt. The format was 15 minute periods of 4 on 4, with no real faceoffs except on goals and pucks out of play. The players seemed to really need a chance to get going, the final half was at a decent pace. Team White (wearing the white) was pretty much stacked with all of the higher end prospects to my eye.

Marco Roy was very vocal, directing the play and trying to help his teammates move the puck to open areas. He was almost the only one making any noise. He buzzes around like Perron and has a similar style to his game (I swear I’m not making the comparison because they’re both Quebecois). He’s slippery in the offensive zone and bounces around in the corners. Saw him good.

Leon the Teuton was sluggish and slow tonight. He didn’t play the majority of the 3rd period. He has excellent hands though and legs up to his ears. His shoot out slap shot was ugly. Saw him meh.

Darnell Nurse must have played over half the game. It seemed like he was almost aways on the ice. He’s clearly the most athleticly gifted among the kids at camp and appears to have stayed in excellent shape. He played at close to full speed most of the game and laid the only real hit of the evening. He spent much of the game jumping into the rush and was realy trying to make things happen offensively. For a kid that’s apparently under 200lbs he’s BIG. The kid is a gamer, he competes. Saw him good.

Dillon Simpson was paired with Nurse for most of the game. I can see why people say he has skating issues as he doesn’t really have a very good first step. He should talk to his step mom about some lessons. That said, out of everyone on the ice he has the best anticipation. He always seemed to know where the puck/play was heading and made the right reads (this was mosty in the O zone as that’s where I was sitting). Saw him good.

Joey Laleggia has NHL speed right now. Easily the fastest player on the ice and excellent offensive instincts. He’s very small though. Saw him good but worried about his size.

Jar Jar was a force tonight. He uses his body to shield the puck extremely well and drives the net hard. He’s easily the biggest forward on the ice and used that to his advantage. Underrated puck mover to my mind, he did well at drawing people to him and finding the open man. The official score sheet was a bit wonky with assists, I had him with 4 points. He’ll get a top 6 spot in OKC next year. Excellent cheeky shoot out move at the end. Saw him very good.

Greg Chase’s game is not well suited to intra squad games, as the pace picked up in the second half he became more visible. At one point he clipped Jar Jar after the play and you could see Khaira taking his number. Chase is a solid kid and hits hard. Has an excellent shot as well. Saw him good.

Yakimov’s night was pretty uneven despite all the points. He was integral on the two goals he assisted on (McCarron and Vessel, I think). His goal was a bit of fluke. He was in the high slot and the puck sort of bounced around and found him, but he absolutely sniped it. He has an excellent shot. He gasses very easily and needs to take very short shifts. I didn’t really notice him until he did something excellent to create a scoring chance. He doesn’t use his size like Jar Jar but is better in tight with the puck and has good vision. Saw him meh.

The player with the most eyeglow/60 was Colin Markison. He had about three or four good breakaway chances and started chirping at the refs over a missed call. He knows that this is an opportunity and is clearly taking it as such.

Many of the other kids had moments but I was trying to also watch the game.

107. waiting for no. 6th says:

Hey LT,

Sweet blog!

What do you think the odds are we could swing Seabrook out of Chicago?
    Both him and Petry UFA pending.
    Would he even sign here long term?

108. justDOit says:

Ryan: If I had a hammer’ I’d hammer Perron into a (trade for a) 2line centre and sign pancakes…

We stop at pancakes house.

109. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

110. HallDown says:

111. Hammers says:

Well Oiled and Enthusiastic: My personal view is they are running with Arco for this season and that is an upgrade on Gagner. Arco was a rookie last year and handled it fine. Flat out outplayed the veteran. He has eclipsed the AHL and is ready for NHL testing. There were two players that needed to come off that second line and one is gone for good and one is slotting lower to have time to mature and learn or seal his fate as a high pick bust. Arco is going to be sheltered by experienced NHL’ers and Arco is simply keeping the seat warm for LD who is likely slotted to take 2C next season and Arco will slide down or out. He will not be exposed nearly to the degree Gagner was in defensive breakdowns and I expect he posts similar offensive numbers to Gagner’s historical stats. I assume management is viewing this season as progression, not contention (for playoffs that is). It isn’t realistic to expect playoffs this year so bring in supporting vets and let the kids learn and grow. Our future is all about them. If they reach a playoff berth, fantastic – a real bonus in my mind. But I am embracing this season as a punt to next season for true playoff contention and the chosen core and future support players continuing to development in the system. Giving up anything for a 2C now when you have a Leon Draisaitl in the pipe just doesn’t seem logical to me. Arco is a very decent stop gap.

Good solid points . I also feel we have 6 NHL wingers that are proven plus Yak who should have a bounce back year . Throw in Lander / Pitlick / Gazdic or Joensu and our wing looks fine . I expect Lander to either play wing or be the extra “C” if McT doesn’t get another center & sends Leon back . Also McT still has time for a trade at “C” .

112. Hammers says:

HallDown: The other thing to get out of MacT’s statement was that he wants to pay people for the right price point, not pay everybody the same amount. In other words, top pairing $$ for top guys, 3rd pairing $$ for bottom guys. Jultz will be a 3rd pairing Dman this year, with lots of PP time to jack up his minutes. This is a good spot for him, but it means he gets less $$ than he’s looking for. Thus the slug-fest negotiating.

Trouble with that is he averaged more minutes than any other “D” . That’s why there still negotiating .

113. HallDown says:

Lois Lowe,

FYI, Nurse says he’s 205 now. Thanks for the report. I’ll try to post likewise after the Penticton Young Stars tournament.

114. Dicky94 says:

It would be nice to snag Brooks Laich from the Caps. His contract isn’t the geatest but I think he could fill the 2nd line centre spot nicely until Leon is ready. He would be a great third line centre down the road. Or am I insane?

115. HallDown says:

Hammers,

True that. But both him and Petry will be playing far less minutes now that Fayne is here, so you’d be paying him for past work, not current work. However, Jultz is also the key Dman in Oilers PP, so that’s gotta drive up his value.

116. PunjabiOil says:

Interesting comments by MacT on Petry negotiations

“We looked at longer termed deal for him but we just couldn’t agree on that longer termed deal,” Oilers General Manager Craig MacTavish said. “It’s a bit of a risky deal for us because we’re exposed on the asset. We very much view Jeff as a high-end asset for us. At the same time, we’ve got to see what the level is for Jeff and Jeff’s anticipating a high level and he’s got the ability to hit it out of the park and we hope that’s the case. We’re right back at the negotiation table next year negotiating a long-term deal with Jeff based on a tremendous season and a big upgrade on what we’ve seen over the last few years, which has been pretty good.”

The deal is reportedly just over $3 million and MacTavish says it’s a fair agreement for both sides.

“We did offer him a longer term deal. Somebody that didn’t have confidence in their ability would have probably taken it. I think it’s a good deal for both parties, I really do. It’s the perfect compromise. I’m of the mindset that you can’t have a bunch of defencemen making $4 million. You want some making seven and some making one. The guys that are making four, you can’t shell out your roster and I think you can allocate your dollars for defence better than having a whole bunch of people at the same price point.”

117. Suntory Hanzo says:

Side question…

Driving down to Seattle to watch the Mariners. Have afternoon free. Anyone know a place to watch the Germany game. Ideally close to Safeco or EMP.

118. Ribs says:

Is there really a chance Schultz doesn’t play twenty minutes a night? I highly doubt it at this point.

119. Lois Lowe says:

There is a bazillion bars near Safeco. I’m sure they will oblige you.

120. nycoil says:

Pouliot isn’t another Perron. People need to lower their expectations a bit lest they be disappointed.

121. haters says:

Is it possible Mact and a few other gms are waiting till preseason to see if some kids can push some vets out if a job ? I think that’s where we see a 2c come into play

122. Shau-co says:

I am struggling to understand all of the negativity on the Petry deal. To me this is much better and probably a learning from handing out cushy deals to Hemsky and Gagner. How did those deals affect their tradability? I think Petry is still a very valuable asset at a lower caphit one year term especially when so many teams are close to the salary cap.

123. Marcus Oilerius says:

Shau-co,

Because he will be gone for greener pastures come trade deadline, and if not then, then certainly on July 1.

124. Shau-co says:

The other thing i struggle with understanding is the fear that Petry will leave Edmonton. Well you know what? If thats his plan, there’s not much we can do about it. MacTavish has been trying to bring in guys who want to be here long term (Scrivens, Ference, etc) and I love that. If he can add a guy like Coburn or Boychuk I will be over the moon and wont miss Petry at all.

125. Shau-co says:

Marcus Oilerius,

Yes, but what is MacTavish supposed to do? He offered a long-term deal. I’d rather this option. If Petry wants to stay in Edmonton he can re-sign and theres less risk of his value dropping to zero with an overpay like what happened to Gagner.

126. Marcus Oilerius says:

Shau-co,

I think MacT made as sound a move as he could have. I suppose he might have tried to buy a few UFA years from Petry, but the price wasn’t right or Petry was unwilling. I’m just trying to explain to you why people are bummed out. They hoped Petry would stick around and now it appears as though he’s gone.

All in all, MacT made a decent deal. He’ll have an established, in-his-prime defenceman as a bargaining chip come the trade deadline. Petry will be motivated and likely have a career year, and there is always a market for d-men as the playoffs loom close. Petry will likely be close to the cream of the crop of available defenders (due to his age as well as ability – usually it’s mostly older defencemen who get moved), so we will get good value. Thing is, that value is likely to be prospects or picks, both of which we have in abundance. Contending teams aren’t going to trade us a roster player for Petry, and rebuilding teams won’t gamble on a pending UFA. So we’re setting our rebuild back a bit.

127. Marcus Oilerius says:

I think MacT made as sound a move as he could have. I suppose he might have tried to buy a few UFA years from Petry, but the price wasn’t right or Petry was unwilling. I’m just trying to explain to you why people are put out. They hoped Petry would stick around and now it appears as though he’s gone.

All in all, MacT made a decent deal. He’ll have an established, in-his-prime defenceman as a bargaining chip come the trade deadline. Petry will be motivated and likely have a career year, and there is always a market for d-men as the playoffs loom. Petry will likely be close to the cream of the crop of available defenders (due to his age as well as ability – usually it’s mostly older defencemen who get moved), so we will get good value. Thing is, that value is likely to be prospects or picks, both of which we have in abundance. Contending teams aren’t going to trade us a roster player for Petry, and rebuilding teams won’t gamble on a pending UFA. So we’re setting our rebuild back a bit.

128. gcw_rocks says:

Nikitin is a major Crap shoot whose contract may be pushing Petry out the door. Is there any world where you would trade Petry for Nikitin?

If the Oilers get the Nikitin who played in Columbus last year, and they trade Petry the defence is no better than last year. I get that the summer is time for optimism, but we should at least acknowledge the other possibilities, no?

129. gcw_rocks says:

Even ignoring the Ference contract (I certainly try to forget it), MacT overpaid Nikitin by over $1M, overpaid Pouliot by $1M (and two extra years, based on Perault and Raymond) and traded for Hendricks, who also overpaid close to $1m .

If MacT had $3M more in cap space to play with, would the Oilers not be in a much better position to fix the 2c hole?

130. justDOit says:

Here are some interesting numbers:

Jay Zawaski
    ‏@JayZawaski670
    . @thekapman reporting Kane / Toews cap hits will be around $10.8. Reasonable. I was hoping for $10.5 ish.

gcw_rocks:

132. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: Nikitin’s contract is comparable to the free agents who followed. I’m not sure he was the right guy, but the dollars aren’t crazy in the summer’s run. As for Pouliot, he’s a really good player and signed for perhaps a year too long, but the dollars are fine.

Or, they could just sign Loktionov for 2×1.5M and Mueller for 1×1.5M and there you have two extra Cs, one of whom (mueller) can play that 4RW spot if need be.

133. G Money says:

in the last five years, the biggest “hometown” discount I’ve seen a player take to play for the Edmonton Oilers is to sign a fair value to slightly overpaid contract.

Complaining about MacT overpaying free agents is like complaining about the lack of seaside properties in Edmonton. It’s technically true but it’s utterly pointless.

134. Dicky94 says:

justDOit,

In the next CBA they had better put a cap on what a player can make or this will get out of hand in a hurry. What will Malkin and Crosby want next. Twelve million. Don’t leave much for the others on the team.

135. SinceTheWHADays says:

No LT it’s not just being aware of the danger. I hear your words dude, but what you’re communicating is your scared of what MIGHT happen, instead of being excited about some possibilities we haven’t experienced in these parts for years with our OWN draft picks. Try to be a little more enCOURGED, instead of sounding so discouraged dude. I don’t think you POV is realistic, to me it sounds more pessimistic than anything especially at this time of year. Sheesh!

136. frjohnk says:

Dicky94:
    justDOit,

In the next CBA they had better put a cap on what a player can make or this will get out of hand in a hurry. What will Malkin and Crosby want next. Twelve million.Don’t leave much for the others on the team.

Rumors abound that Kane and Toews will get $10.8 M each. Devils and Schneider looking at $6M for 7 years.

137. Pouzar says:

Lowetide: P>The Oilers have $8.8M left and need to sign Schultz and add a center. Even if Schultz gets $4M, Edmonton still has $4.8 million plus the salary of the player they are trading away (see Eberle or Perron or Petry).

Stop TRADING EBERLE!!!!!!!!! IT AIN’T HAPPENNIN!!!!!!!!!

138. slopitch says:

I found this quote in MacTs comments about the Petry contract to be interesting.

I dont know if this foreshadows anything but I do believe he is right. I still think MacT is looking for the star D (and a legit 2C as well). We dont have have the cap space to entertain a Subban OS anymore.

139. Dicky94 says:

Pouzar,

Or Perron for that matter. I’m happy with the team as is. If its Leon at the number two spot so be it. The more I read and see about him, Jar and Bogs gets me super pumped! I want to see them all this fall. I wish it was 2016 though. Lol.

140. rickithebear says:

Dicky94:
    justDOit,

The NbA has 15 roster positions.
    and allows a player max of 20%

Nhl has 23 roster position

20% X (15/23) = 13%

13% x 69 = 8.97M

With the average salary spread being over 23 versus 15 players the 13% makes sense by roster size.

141. Hammers says:

I still feel there is at least 2 weeks to get a trade done but as long as its the right one . If not maybe McT adds a Winnick for a year and goes RNH , Arco , Gordon , Lander . Lander getting Winnick & Hendricks . A gamble maybe but if Leon has to go back to junior then so be it .

142. Pouzar says:

Based on Stauffer’s rundown yesterday of the 2C position NOW and into the future I get the impression the organization is bullish on Khaira.

143. russ99 says:

Petry doesn’t bother me, as he’s pretty close to his potential and moving into his prime years. What we see is pretty much what we’re gonna get. A one-year deal for him is good as a reliable NHL first pairing defenseman placeholder until MacT can acquire someone better. Would you rather spend $5-6M a year for Petry or $7-8M a year for an actual first pairing defenseman?

The mistake people are making are comparing Petry and his contract to Nitikin and Schultz, which are very different players and contract/career situations.

When you reduce that down to looking at first pairing defensemen and what you’re willing to pay and what you’ll get in return, it’s easy to side with MacT on this one. But we better see him follow through with the better player next deadline or offseason.

2C is a burr in my side. We need to add at least one NHL player at the position or this will be a weak spot all year, unless MacT shows a willingness and we have cap room to add salary via the waiver wire – once Draisaitl is back in junior and the revolving door of AHL centers can’t get the job done.

Like the old saying goes, people who don’t learn from the road trip of doom with 1 and a half centers during the lockout shortened season are doomed to repeat it.

144. Pajamah says:

Word out of C-Bus is Ryan Johansen and the team are miles from a new contract.

They’d want the world, but the Oilers could offer Schultz ++ get it done, and make the dollars work.

145. bry_oil says:

rickithebear,

The max NHL salary is also 20% of the salary cap at the time the deal is signed. So at $69 mill they can make a maximum of $13.8 mill.

That’s a big chunk of change

146. rickithebear says:

There are 3 dmen that’s PP production and Even production justify the Dollars for Goals Created affect.

As i have stated in the past.few years.

A strong PK dmen creates a negative GC affect on opposition.
    At minimal cost .

Out weighing most teams GC by the PP. WHich in most casses is average.

Shea Weber 7.86M
    He was one of the 10 worst PK dmen before this year.

His 26 PP points made Nashville 6 PPG/season better than the league average by time.

He is by Box protection a top 30 protector and was a victim of
    all 3 Goalies having the same 24+% Save % inside 20 ft
    Hutton; Mazane; Rinne.
    when Rinne has averaged 14.2% when Weber is paired with Suter or Klien.
    So was that the golaies or the sum of the D pair.

A true 1st comp Dman.
    Can drive the the Dpair box Protection.

Suter could against 1st Comp.

Klien could against 2nd comp.

Marincin showed that against 1st comp with petry
    and 2nd comp with J. schultz.

Aulie showed it with Phanuef in TOR
    and Tampa with Brewer against 1st comp.

147. rickithebear says:

bry_oil:
    rickithebear,

That’s a big chunk of change

By size of roster it should be13%.
    You must remember.
    Bettman was trained under Stern in nthe NBA.
    he copied the same 20%.
    It works for 15 players.
    23 players not so much.

148. rickithebear says:

gcw_rocks:

Nikitin top 10 Box protection. 4.5M X 2
    Wholy!
    Mitchell
    Slightly worse box protection numbers top 20.
    4.25M X 2

Pouliot 4M 43 EVG last 4 years
    Perron 3.8M 47 EVG
    Purcell 4.5M 47 EVG
    J. staal 6M 46 EVG
    Kulemin 46EVG 4.175M
    Callahan 45 EVG 5.8M
    Bickell 44 EVG 4M
    Brodziak 43 EVG
    J. Jokinen 4M 43 EVG
    Oahie 4.175M 41 EVG
    Raymond 3.15M 38 EVG
    Perrault 3.0M 38 EVG

Picks the 2 lowest contratcs.
    pouliot was paid 4M
    and Callahan got 5.8M what a steal MacT.

or do you think all the contratcs slightly over 4M
    might be a better measure.

Ference top 40 Box protection numbers versus 1st comp until Pec tear.
    3.25M

Facts!

Not
    Bull Shit!

149. gcw_rocks says:

Frank The Dog,

You have a loose definition of aiming high. Purcell was a buy out candidate in Tampa and Nikitin was a third pairing/healthy scratch guy in Columbus. Scrivens and Fasth are unproven starters at the NHL level. Aulie is at best a tweener and Gazdic can’t pay hockey.

They could all play well, but they are all gambles and that’s far from aiming high.

150. Marcus Oilerius says:

gcw_rocks,

To be fair, Tampa traded for Gagner to buy him our at a lower cap hit than Purcell.

151. gcw_rocks says:

Marcus Oilerius,

Right. But if they hadn’t made that trade, they were going to buy out Purcell. You don’t buy out strong performers unless you are buffalo. The point that Purcell is far from s rock star still stands.

152. gcw_rocks says:

rickithebear,

Nice job cherry picking a metric.

Because Tampa paid Callaghan stupid money did not mean MacT got a good deal. Tampa was about to buy out Purcell because he wasn’t worth the money. How many more games did Pouliot play than Perron the last four years? Nominee’s total offence was much higher last season and he is a shoot out killer. Nobody thinks Bickell’s connect is value. I can play this game all day long. Doesn’t change the fact that the two closest comparables to Pouliot in free agency this year got $11M and two years less than the Oilers paid.

153. art vandelay says:

If Traded Six Times is your 2LW and a CBJ pressbox visitor is your 2LD you’re not making the playoffs.
    Better hope those corgis line up just right.

#realitycheck

154. malinpaul says:

The blogosphere is relentless with putting Justin Schultz in the bottom pairing. Sorry guys but for better or for worse Schultz will continue to log north of 20min a game. Not sure how that makes him the bottom pair.

155. gcw_rocks says:

rickithebear,

Since you compared Perron to Pouliot,

Last four years

Perron
    Goals per game = .33
    Points per game = .68

Pouliot
    Goals per game = .19
    Points per game = .44

Pouliot provides 59% as many goals per game and 65% of Perron’s total offence per game, yet gets paid more.

Facts