LEGWAND OR ELSE?

I spoke to Rob Vollman on the Lowdown today, and he put it straight to me: David Legwand is the last available quality option for 2line C at this year’s free agent auction. I’ve heard there are several other teams (Ottawa, Toronto, Buffalo) involved, so we shouldn’t assume Legwand comes to Edmonton on a multi-year deal. If he does? Not bad.

PROJECTED PRO DEPTH CHART (FORWARDS) 2013-14

LEFT WING CENTER RIGHT WING
TAYLOR HALL RYAN NUGENT-HOPKINS JORDAN EBERLE
DAVID PERRON DAVID LEGWAND TEDDY PURCELL
BENOIT POULIOT LEON DRAISAITL NAIL YAKUPOV
MATT HENDRICKS BOYD GORDON MARK ARCOBELLO
LUKE GAZDIC ANTON LANDER*** TYLER PITLICK***
JESSE JOENSUU WILL ACTON*** STEVE PINIZZOTTO***
RYAN HAMILTON*** JUJHAR KHAIRA*** IIRO PAKARINEN***
CURTIS HAMILTON*** BOGDAN YAKIMOV*** ANDREW MILLER***
KALE KESSY***

Man that’s a lot of change. MacT’s flushed Gagner, Smyth, Jones, Horc, Hemmer, lordy. The top line can probably be spliced into a pairing (Hall-Nuge) and maybe Eberle can join the second pairing (Draisaitl-Yak) eventually. I think it would be advisable for the Oilers to send the Action Saxon to junior, but Dr. Drai may break on through to the other side this fall (I think the Oilers already have him on the roster, despite all the verbal we’re hearing about no pressure).

FREE AGENT OPTION loktionov_5ANDREI LOKTIONOV EXTRA SKATER

loktionov esI didn’t know he was a free agent, but I’d love to see Edmonton pick him up. Loktionov would be in competition with some of the draft picks for a roster spot, but this fellow has some nice things. Skilled, good hands, can do some things.

135 Responses to "LEGWAND OR ELSE?"

1. 36 percent body fat says:

sign loktionov for fourth line wing, and legwand for 2c. Lok can step in to help in case of injury.

2. lazerguidedmelody says:

So we either trade Petry for a C, sign Legwand, or let Draisaitl / Arco battle it out for 2C? I so hope that the Oil aren’t a dodgy pre-season hit away from a Canucks goon helping us to repeat 13/14.

3. OilClog says:

Watching sportscenter..

If Subban is having contract talk problems.. Offer sheet!

Or Giant trade after said offer sheet..

Yak, Petry, 2015 1st do it?

4. Donye West says:

I don’t think we have the cap space to sign Legwand, Draisatl, Petry and Schultz. Something’s got to give.

5. Frank the dog says:

36 percent body fat:
    sign loktionov for fourth line wing, and legwand for 2c.Lok can step in to help in case of injury.

Or put Arco on Jenny Craig so he can get down to the same weight as Loktionov. Okay, Arco is only 5 lbs heavier than Lok but you get the point.

Donye West:
    I don’t think we have the cap space to sign Legwand, Draisatl, Petry and Schultz.Something’s got to give.

The bonus on Leon’s contract goes onto 2015-16. They should have room.

7. 36 percent body fat says:

Frank the dog,

Or have all three as options!

8. Racki says:

Sign Legwand and don’t create a whole at #1 RHD ( or #2.. or #1.5RHD.. whatever you want to call it). This seems like the much better plan.

Second best plan, offersheet Ryan Johansen on principle of some Columbus Dispatch writer smack talking the Oilers today!

9. Ducey says:

Loktionov won a Memorial Cup with Taylor Hall in Windsor.

10. Melman says:

The reality for Legwand is barring a trading away of $ from a contending club there doesn’t seem to be many that have the cap space to sign him for more than what Edm. could give. The idea that he comes in with a verbal from the team or a restricted NMC to deal him at the deadline if he wants/they can may be a solid win-win for both sides. Could be awkward if the team is close to the playoffs though and he’s an important piece…

Still think they want/need to sort out Schultz and Petry before they can settle the 2C spot

11. Frank the dog says:

Ducey:
    Loktionov won a Memorial Cup with Taylor Hall in Windsor.

We just got rid of all our shorties. Nostalgic already? :)

12. Crash says:

I have been wanting the Oilers to go after Legwand since last summer. I thought they could have gotten him out of Nashville in a trade for Hemsky. Both players had a year left in their contract, with similar ages and salary. Also the players would have complemented each team’s need, an offensive player for Nashville and a quality 2C with size for Edmonton.

Nonetheless Legwand is available now. A little older but has the size and experience the Oilers need.

C’mon MacT. Get’r done.

13. Frank the dog says:

Melman:
    The reality for Legwand is barring a trading away of $ from a contending club there doesn’t seem to be many that have the cap space to sign him for more than what Edm. could give.The idea that he comes in with a verbal from the team or a restricted NMC to deal him at the deadline if he wants/they can may be a solid win-win for both sides.Could be awkward if the team is close to the playoffs though and he’s an important piece…

Outside of trading, what’s the worst case? Arbitration and then UFA? What other options exist to solve a stare down outside of a below par dump?

14. 36 percent body fat says:

Crash,

Well Hemsky was better than Erat and he fetched you Forsberg, that would have been nice.

15. oliveoilers says:

OilClog:
    Watching sportscenter..

If Subban is having contract talk problems.. Offer sheet!

Or Giant trade after said offer sheet..

Yak, Petry, 2015 1st do it?

16. Ducey says:

oliveoilers: How about Lander, Arco and a 6th in 2020 for Pavel Datsyuk? Or Omark for Weber? Subban’s getting PAID.

The Oiler’s 2020 draft is going to be perfect – in hindsight. You can’t trade a pick from that draft.

17. Truth says:

I said this in the previous thread, but I think a player of Legwand’s type and age will be looking for a contract with a lot of term on it. David Legwand – type players play until their mid-30′s at a decent pace and drop off fast. If he is 35 years old looking for a new contract it will probably be a small one. He’s probably looking to take less AAV but longer term to secure his own future. I know it’s what I would do.

I don’t know if the Oilers want to commit to him longer than 2 years, therefore I bet they have given him an offer similar to Nikitin’s and he goes elsewhere for the longer term.

18. OilClog says:

oliveoilers: How about Lander, Arco and a 6th in 2020 for Pavel Datsyuk?Or Omark for Weber?Subban’s getting PAID.

He is getting paid, but the whole priniciple of the offer sheet is to use it when a #1 Defenceman is having another round of contract troubles with Montreal. Offer sheet him, it’s in Montreals hands at that point and you can’t blame MacT for not trying..

Furthermore, the trade scenario is another strong reality or they wouldn’t be talking about it on sportscenter as a list of options..

Or yea.. Trade shit and shoe laces for weber..

19. Jon K says:

Lowetide: The bonus on Leon’s contract goes onto 2015-16. They should have room.

And of course if Leon goes down to Prince Albert his contract won’t count against the cap.

In a sense, if we see a 2C signed for 3+ million we can assume that either Draisaitl will end up going down or a decent cap hit will be moved out. We probably don’t have the space for a 2C, LD, Petry at 4.5 and Schultz likely around 3.25 to 3.75.

Some of these issues will be alleviated with the cap rising to 75-76 the season after next, but with the growing number of “small” overpays the Oilers really need to be careful. Marincin makes 730 now, but a strong season could see his cap hit go up to 3.0 even on a bridge contract. Yakupov will also need a new contract.

We may be lamenting the term and money on Gordon, Hendricks, and Ference next off-season.

20. Crash says:

Truth,
    I agree with Truth on the length of term concern. I would hope an overpay for two years would be more ideal, in order to give LD a year in the juniors and a second year as a third line centre with the Oilers. Then he can take over the reigns of the 2C.

speeds gets Legwand, Draisaitl, Schultz and Petry on the roster

22. Ryan says:

Sign Legwand so a grown man who’s afflicted me with a continued interest in this miserably poor hockey team can see it go to war with a roster chock full of more actual nhl players than it’s had since ?2006.

23. DBO says:

capgeek did a with Legwand cap, and Petry and Schultz signed. I like that lineup so much better then any lineup in last 5 years at least

24. Rondo says:

Would be nice to sign him for 1 yr. Not sure he would want that , he will be 34yrs old in August. He may want to go to a team that has a chance to be in the SC.

25. Racki says:

speeds gets Legwand, Draisaitl, Schultz and Petry on the roster

26. JamesL says:

Sign Legwand but DO NOT break the bank in doing so.

27. VanOil says:

speeds gets Legwand, Draisaitl, Schultz and Petry on the roster

Speeds for Armchair GM of the year!

28. matt says:

The man is making $4.5M right now. The Gagner/Grabovski contracts are younger players with longer terms with similar production at the same time at the same position with similar cap hits. Let’s use that as a starting point.

He will be 34. He has three teams bidding for him. He has steady production as a 40-50 point C. He will not have have steady production over the term of the contract, in all likelihood.

His interest is in maximizing the total dollar value of the contract, irrespective of term. It might be his last and buyouts are calculated based on the total remaining contract value (there is a mild theoretical incentive to heavily front end to mitigate risk as much as possible by maximizing the chance of a future additional contract, but let’s ignore that).

So. Adjust up for a shorter term (2-3 years), adjust up because of the scarcity of the position generally, adjust up because there is known competition, adjust up because the Oilers are naked at that position and everyone knows it.

Adjust down because he’s old and production will decline. Adjust down because the Oilers and, I understand, their competitors, can’t really go much higher that his current pay owing to cap restrictions.

So. 3x$4M AAV? $5/4/3?

29. Numenius says:

speeds gets Legwand, Draisaitl, Schultz and Petry on the roster

Yes, but that means any bonuses hit have to go under next year’s cap, when they have to re-sign Yak and Marincin. I don’t think that’ll work, as much as I’d love to fit Legwand in.

Here’s my take from the previous thread:

_______
    In light of Batty’s article (http://www.coppernblue.com/2014/7/3/5868237/edmonton-oilers-centre-salary-cap) about how much cap space is left, I think McT might stand pat and go with Arco and Dr. Drai as 2C/3C.

Main reason: They want to give LD the chance to make the team and if he does, there won’t enough cap left, whether this year or next year, for signing another C of sufficient quality. Technically there would be enough cap for this year, but with the possibility of LD, Yak, and Marincin hitting their bonuses, McT would be risking going over the cap, which, though allowable, would have to be made up for next year and would cause all kinds of trouble.

The only other reasonable possibility I see [edit: there is an unreasonable one: trade Petry for a 2C] is to plan now with leaving LD down and paying Legwand (or someone comparable) handsomely for a year, but I don’t think McT does that. He wants to give LD a chance to make it.

I do too.

30. G Money says:

Rondo: He may want to go to a team that has a chance to be in the SC.

I suspect, all else being equal, *every* player in the NHL would rather be on a team that has a chance at the SC over one that doesn’t.

The balancing factors are of course money and term.

Many of the teams that can challenge for the SC are either already deep at C and it wouldn’t be worth their while to break the bank for a guy like Legwand, OR they’re already cap constrained and cannot at this point offer any meaningful amount of money.

The Oilers can offer money but not term.

I suspect there are others who can offer term but not money.

I think it might be a bit of a turtle race at this point.

31. supernova says:

It might be in Legwands best interest to sign a 1 year deal and then sign a Iggy / Alfie

Contract late next summer with lots of bonuses.

Man he has got to feel like he kicked someone’s dog.

Toronto, Buffalo, Edmonton

We might legitimately offer the best chance of winning and best roster spot at the same time.

I almost can’t remember when I could say that.

32. Mr DeBakey says:

Racki: I honestly think Petry’s number here is on the high side too (I would be hesitant to give him that much yet)… which is a good thing. More convincing that this could all work.

3.5 + 5.0 + 5.0 + 5.0
    *** ***

On that Armchair GM roster why is Marc Bello and his 51% face-off percentage shown on the wing?
    Just askin.
    Also,
    It accidentally shows Draisaitl in Edmonton instead of Price Albert.

33. VanOil says:

Numenius,

Why I am not worried about bonus ‘overages’ brought up by Batty; If Yak hits his bonuses the Oilers make the playoffs.

Plus there is a guaranteed Rogers cap boost next year that should make Yak and Marincin’s new contracts affordable. After which hopefully our OKC prospects start replacing expensive Vets at the bottom of the roster.

34. G Money says:

VanOil,

Bingo.

Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug now

Getting the sense that the Oilers and Legwand aren’t likely to happen. Lukewarm interest in both directions. Trade more likely for C

36. G Money says:

supernova: Man he has got to feel like he kicked someone’s dog.

You’re feeling sorry for someone just because he’s at the tail end of his career? The fact that he’s already earned $37M, and plays a game for a living leaves me with little sympathy…

37. DBO says:

was just going to post this. So Berglund then? Who else is an option? Who has to drop salary that we can poach from without giving up a roster player?

38. speeds says:

I was able to create a roster where EDM can fit Legwand to start the year, but it’s kind of complicated and twitter isn’t a great medium to go into the nuance of potential problems.

Long story short, EDM would probably have to get Draisaitl to either take slightly less in bonuses than the normal 3OV pick (not unprecedented, NJ did just that with Larsson), or get the bonuses shifted around a little bit so as to comfortably fit under the bonus overage maximium.

39. Numenius says:

The other issue mentioned by Batty is that if LD’s contract includes full bonuses, then $665,000 of the bonuses (i.e what’s above $5,175,000) will have to be covered this year.

Speeds’ roster doesn’t work then, since he only has $357,500 to spare.

The Legwand, Petry, or Schultz contracts would have to be lower to compensate.

[Edit: Oh, I see speeds just addressed this...]

DBO:

41. crazyoil says:

With the Islanders signing Grabovski, I wonder if Nielsen would shake loose.
    Nice caphit and term.

42. Numenius says:

VanOil:
    Numenius,

If Yak and Leon play together, I wouldn’t be surprised if they both hit some of their bonuses. Nice problem to have, I’d say. :)

43. supernova says:

G Money: You’re feeling sorry for someone just because he’s at the tail end of his career?The fact that he’s already earned $37M, and plays a game for a living leaves me with little sympathy…

G Money,

Umm,

Do you not like pro sports?

When people have oppurtunities to cash in I say all the power to them.

Never heard a bad comment about him but he has little traction. I don’t really care if he gets 1 million but if he could have got 5 that is shitty for him.

Not sure that it sympathy but why not want well for people?

44. DBO says:

Would we go with Chris Kelly? He is a third line centre who is overpaid, but he would come for a draft pick and cost less then the $4 mill Legwand should command. He kills penalties, but is not overly physical or great on the dot. But he as two years at $3 mill, and with Boston’s cap issues, will cost at most a mid range prospect. allows us to keep Petry, and add a vet two way player. More of a third line player, but it means we shelter Dr. Dre and Yak and run Kelly as a tough minutes line.

45. maudite says:

Carter?

WHile I’m leery of the idea of getting taken behind the woodshed Lombardi style on this, it should be doable. Get them to eat some of that contract and offer up some babbles….Not sure what it would take but I would think they might want out of that contract. Would he work for us?

46. speeds says:

Actually, I should clarify that. They are probably just, JUST, under the bonus overage max if Draisaitl gets the same 2.3M in bonuses that other 3OV picks like Drouin, Galchenyuk, and Huberdeau received, as Yakupov’s bonuses are 2.85M and the max bonus overage is 5.175M this year.

However, that is so close that it would essentially mean that no one else with bonuses (Nurse, Klefbom) could join the roster as long as EDM was right at the cap, which would happen pretty quickly once an injury or two hit.

I believe, but am not certain, that wouldn’t be an issue for Marincin, as even though he’s still on his ELC and that has bonuses, there are no bonuses in his ELC for this season (only for previous seasons) according to capgeek.

47. G Money says:

supernova: I don’t really care if he gets 1 million but if he could have got 5 that is shitty for him.
    Not sure that it sympathy but why not want well for people?

Sorry man, but that about captures it right there… $1M isn’t “well”?

Sure, I love pro sports, but I think the salaries are utterly mind-blowingly vomit-inducingly obscene.

Except in the CFL. I love the CFL. *There’s* some guys who play for the love of the game.

DBO: Who else is an option?

A look at CapGeek suggests the answer might lie with one of these teams:

Philadelphia already $3,061,429 over with one player left to sign
    Chicago is $2,216,795 over but with a full roster
    Boston has $1,640,857 left in cap space and 5 players left to sign
    Tampa Bay has $2,131,698 left in cap spce and 3 players left to sign (I believe that averages out to < league minimum per player)
    Washington has $1,113,205 and one player left to sign. Can be done of course but it depends on what they need at this point.
    Pittsburgh has $7,330,833 in space and 5 players left to sign. Same as with WSH.

48. DBO says:

Would we want Lecavalier if they ate $1 or $1.5 mill of his deal? or is 4 years too much term? At $4 mill per, he is solid 3rd line centre for a few more years. On ce again he would cost us almost nothing.

49. eidy says:

Not good news on going trade route. Guess who the target is and what the cost is. Hate to lose #2. Would prefer loktionov, mueller, roy to that. All would come quite cheap as well. Not sure they are an improvement over Armco and lander, but you get to keep Petry.

Also, are the Redblacks the best team in the east

50. speeds says:

Numenius,

I think I just addressed this, but I think the other thing EDM could do is negotiate with Draisaitl when it comes to his bonuses. The other three 3OV’s received 2.3M in bonuses, flat across all 3 years, but I don’t think it’s impossible that EDM could either get Draisaitl to simply take less, or to adjust the numbers so that he gets less in year 1, but in exchange gets more in years 2 and 3, provided that helps EDM avoid any overage complications.

51. speeds says:

And it kind of seems like this might all be irrelevant given that Rishaug tweet.

52. supernova says:

G Money,

G Money: Sorry man, but that about captures it right there… $1M isn’t “well”?

Except in the CFL.I love the CFL.*There’s* some guys who play for the love of the game.

Don’t be sorry I am not.

Don’t care what the players make. None of it goes in my pocket.

I am self employed, have been since I got out of school.

I look at oppurtinities lost.

I love the NFL I think that lots play for the love of the game and they make out like bandits.

Good for them.

53. wordbird says:

Peter Meuller?

54. DBO says:

So, how about a sort of off the wall idea. I think it as mentioned a few days ago, but what about Dustin Penner for our 2/3 C issue. He was solid on the dot years ago, has the size and two way play we could use and paired with a few solid players he could be had at an inexpensive price point.

55. Rondo says:

crazyoil,

Re: Brock Nelson

I would knock on that door , not sure anyone would answer.

56. Ryan says:

DBO:

Penner was decent on draws back in his Oilers days, but that’s very different from actually playing centre.

57. DBO says:

Or perhaps is our missing centre already on the roster but not one of the ones we are talking about. Hendricks has played C for a good chunk of his career. What if Gordon is our 2nd/3rd line C, with Hendricks the 4th. Allowing us to sign LT favourite Winnick, balancing out our lineup. And while it is not a true 3 scoring lines, Gordon brings enough offense with two solid offensive wingers to allow that line to still outscore.

Hall-Nuge-Eberle
    Pouliot-Gordon-Yak
    Perron-Draisatl-Purcell
    Winnick-Hendricks-Arco
    Lander-Gazdic

That has balance, has size on all lines and enough PKers and a solid PP.

58. Jasmine says:

OilClog:
    Watching sportscenter..

If Subban is having contract talk problems.. Offer sheet!

Or Giant trade after said offer sheet..

Yak, Petry, 2015 1st do it?

59. DBO says:

David Staples ‏@dstaples 42s
    Just a rumour about trade for Bailey. Hope it remains a rumour…

60. crazyoil says:

Rondo,

I was actually talking about Frans Nielsen.

61. Jasmine says:

Racki:

Oilers will not tender an OS because as everyone knows only the Oilers get bashed for OS but the other 29 teams don’t. NO TO OS.

62. Halfwise says:

Jasmine: Why do Oilers fans want to run Yak out of town. Why do Oilers fans always need a player they want to run out of town. I’m getting sick of Oilers fans running players out of town. This has happened even when Slats was GM.

Really?

I have never heard that before. Are you new here?

63. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: I’d say Kadri, Schenn, Berglund, Bailey, Chris Kelly. I’ll have a post up tomorrow about the candidates, meaning the Oilers will trade for a center tonight.

If the Oilers have lukewarm interest (to quote Rishaug) on Legwand that means that he is asking for too much in $ or term. If that supposition is correct, then I would be relieved that they would shy away.

Define your limit and stick to it.

As to trades, we’ve all been throwing Petry’s name around for ages now. But the recent talk of Berglund (not a fan of acquiring him for 2C, by the way) shouldn’t be more than Lander and a 3rd, drawing that value from the Perron move last year.

Bailey would still be my target ahead of Kadri, Schenn, and Berglund.

Not sure about Kelly, I haven’t looked and have concerns over stats for someone like that getting floated by a good team.

64. gd says:

Has anyone thought about Brandon Sutter? He was everyone’s favourite target a couple of years ago. It seems like he has stagnated in the last couple of years, but if I am reading his WOWY charts properly he has really played with the low cost dregs of the Penguins depth chart. I don’t think he fits in Pittsburgh with Goc signed and with Matta out until at least Novemer they need a top 4 D man. Would him for Petry be doable? He also has one extra RFA year over Petry. If that was done could we then sign a guy like Morris for $1.5Mill as 6th Dman?

65. Jasmine says:

DBO:

Wouldn’t trade with the Flyers no matter what as idiot Hextall bashed the Oilers the minute he became GM.

66. DBO says:

gd,

Yeah that would be an interesting one as well. And fit the age group we have. Be a solid #2 right now and a great #3 going forward.

67. Ryan says:

Is this a running joke for which I am missing the punch line?

68. Jasmine says:

speeds:
    Numenius,

I think I just addressed this, but I think the other thing EDM could do is negotiate with Draisaitl when it comes to his bonuses.The other three 3OV’s received 2.3M in bonuses, flat across all 3 years, but I don’t think it’s impossible that EDM could either get Draisaitl to simply take less, or to adjust the numbers so that he gets less in year 1, but in exchange gets more in years 2 and 3, provided that helps EDM avoid any overage complications.

Draisaitl wouldn’t get the same as he wasn’t drafted 1OV.

69. Ryan says:

DBO:

Hall-Nuge-Eberle
    Pouliot-Gordon-Yak
    Perron-Draisatl-Purcell
    Winnick-Hendricks-Arco
    Lander-Gazdic

That has balance, has size on all lines and enough PKers and a solid PP.

Plenty of bloggers have Arcobello pencilled in for 4 RW. I don’t see it happening.

70. Jasmine says:

DBO,

Penner was run out of town by Oilers fans and rejected an offer from Edmonton last season I believe.

71. Halfwise says:

Ryan: Is this a running joke for which I am missing the punch line?

Sadly, yes.

72. Ryan says:

DBO:
    David Staples ‏@dstaples42s
    Just a rumour about trade for Bailey. Hope it remains a rumour…

I thought the rumor was (yesterdays’ news) bailey for Gagner or is this new? I didn’t think Bailey played much centre lately?

73. Pretendergast says:

If only there was some way to get thornton out of the cali sun. San jose would trade him but i doubt jumbo would ever waive to come here. Who better to teach dr drai to become thornton than the man himself?

74. Jon K says:

DBO:
    David Staples ‏@dstaples42s
    Just a rumour about trade for Bailey. Hope it remains a rumour…

To be honest, I wouldn’t mind Josh Bailey as an addition for the 2/3C role. I would mind if it was a one to one swap for Petry, but I do like how things looked this season for Bailey.

He had one of his best offensive years with 38 points (26 at ES), despite getting less icetime than previous years and having only an okay PDO and shooting percentage. And, according to Vollman he had the best corsi on of the shutdown forwards (Nielsen, Grabner) in NYI last season.

I hate the idea of moving Petry, but getting a package in return with Bailey included wouldn’t be all bad. He seems like a guy who could be still finding his way as an NHLer. He’s never going to be the scorer that the Islanders hoped for when they drafted him 9th in 2008 (though he was always highly regarded as a two-way player), but sometimes that’s the problem. Bailey could go on to another team without those expectations and find his place as a good but not great two-way centre.

75. RexLibris says:

Okay, ran the Vollman sledgehammer (CorsiRel) on the following:

Goc, Nugent-Hopkins, Monahan, Bailey, Grabovski, Henrique, Nielsen, Mueller, Legwand, Kadri, Kelly, Berglund, Nelson and Schenn.

Best options for the Oilers based on the criteria of needing a 2C who can create offense while facing difficult competition and getting defensive zone starts –

Bailey/Neilsen
    Legwand/Goc
    Grabovski
    Kadri

All of those players had more defensive zone starts and created offense from it.

Kelly was a small orange bubble at the bottom of the chart, meaning he had Dzone starts, but faced softer competition and created less offense from it.

Nugent Hopkins was way over in the Ozone starts, had the biggest blue bubble and faced the same level of competition (based on the graph) as Legwand.

Monahan and Schenn were both large deep orange bubbles in the Ozone quadrant.

My take based on this data – trade for Bailey as your 2C.

He is young, experienced enough, brings offensive chances (based on CorsiRel), can face difficult opposition, and plays for a dysfunctional organization who may be vulnerable to a value trade offer.

76. oilabroad says:

Jasmine,

Take this for what its worth, a drunken conversation, however I spoke with a recent ex teammate/friend of Penner, and he said Penner is done, he wont get offered another contract by anyone… the myth of him being a big man who looks like he is not trying is just that, a myth…

77. Diesel says:

What’s up all – it’s been several months since my last post.

Spent the day in Jasper at the Orientation Camp. There’s a “Pray the Gay Away” joke there somewhere, but I’ll skip it and get to my observations.

I did not stand there making notes on each player, as there are simply too many skaters and not enough time to develop much of an opinion. Instead I focused on The Saddle, Nurse, Khaira, Roy, and Houck. If anyone has any questions about a particular player I can reach into the ol’ thinkbox and see of anything is still rattling around.

The first player I watched intently was (surprise!) The Saddle.
    First impression: My girlfriend and I could have a proper candlelight dinner while sitting across his shoulders. I initially thought he might be a bit top heavy until I saw him on the bike afterwards. He has the legs to match – just a nice thick build that may play a major part in getting him through the gauntlet this year.

He was definitely full of nerves for the first several drills. Although he did improve over the course of the 2.5 hour session, I don’t think he quite reached a comfort level that was conducive to putting himself on display to an anxious onlooker like myself. He even looked a bit frustrated with himself at one point. This is all very understandable for a player in his circumstance, not to mention I’m not sure when he was last able to skate. Likely had some rust in there too. That being said, a few things were still noticeable. His straight line skating is certainly an area for improvement. He has a wide set stance that looks like he’s sitting in a… well, saddle. In contrast to his straight like skating that looks a bit clumsy, his footwork in close quarters (especially with the puck) is quite slick and agile. He’s able to pick up a puck that is rimmed around the boards with a remarkable little spin move that has him advancing to the net in the blink of an eye. He made use of that a few times as he intercepted a few outlet attempts. His finish in tight is also elite. Great hands in a breakaway/shootout scenario.

The next player I noticed was for all the wrong reasons. Jackson Houck. His skating below average in the group, his shot rarely on target and with little pace, and in general looked quite out of place at times. To be fair, he may have jitters and rust too, or any player for that matter. Although I left with a pretty unimpressed opinion of him, maybe it was just a bad day.

Marco Roy has an absolute laser of a snapshot. And deadly accurate. If you give him an attempt on net within 25 feet there’s a pretty good chance it’s clipping the bar/post and going in before the goalie can properly react. 2 on 1 situations he’s shoots 9 times out of 10 and is rewarded for it. Needs a Nuge to give him endless looks.

Khaira is an absolute monster and is far too much to handle for almost every opponent he had in a battle scenario. I watched him at last years camp as well, so it’s not just a shiny new toy situation. He definitely put on more weight. If you tried to bump/pin him near the wall, he either smashed his backside or shoulder into you and gained a step to the net, or he absorbed the bump and employed some very slick hands to get the puck to a quick shooting position. If you got tired of this or tried to cheat to the outside, he had shades of Eberle with a quick and effective pull to the middle and before you realized he was around you. I was honestly shocked at the combination of brute force, positioning, and hand speed. On top of that, he can one time a puck in close and deflect shots like a pro. He has all the tools to be a skilled power forward – and soon.

Darnell Nurse has left the NHL honeymoon glow in the dust. This guy is through with making friends and being happy to have stepped out of junior. I am more enamored with him than I ever have been, and you need to UP your expectations. He was nasty, nasty, nasty. Reminded me of the “fuck you, pay me” lines from Ray Liotta in Goodfellas. Want to cycle the puck in my end? Fuck you, pay me. Want to take the puck to the net? Fuck you, pay me. You want that rebound? Fuck you, pay me. Screen my goalie? FYPM. He single handedly upped the intensity of the whole group, and I guarantee you there are several skaters who can’t connect the dots between his off-ice persona and his on-ice attitude. At the other end of the ice, he made very heady plays straddling the blue line. His instincts to use the cannon, the jultz, or thread a pass were more evident than before. He’s also filled out quite a bit. From a distance I had a hard time distinguishing him and Khaira. I suspect he is 75-85% seasoned. Anyone order a Chris Pronger?

That’s all for now. I know I’m leaving out some thoughts because I nearly broke PDO’s phone with incoming texts. Any thoughts or questions let me know.

78. spoiler says:

Josh Bailey… really?

He has less O than Gagner and his D sucks just as bad. In fact, didn’t the Isles move him to wing this past season because he was so ineffective in the middle?

I can’t see how he is the answer or why we would give up anything of value to get him when we had his better self on the roster just a week ago.

79. spoiler says:

speeds:
    Numenius,

Jasmine: Draisaitl wouldn’t get the same as he wasn’t drafted 1OV.

Wow. Reading comprehension is a bitch.

80. OilFire says:

Diesel:
    What’s up all –it’s been several months since my last post.

81. oliveoilers says:

Halfwise: Really?

I have never heard that before. Are you new here?

82. PunjabiOil says:

I don’t get why they didn’t sign Olli Jokinen. He only cost 2.5M. Another 500K and you have him signed. A perfect stop gap, and you don’t have to give up an asset to improve at the position, and no long term consequences if he doesn’t turn out.

Not many (if any) options remaining. Can Derek Roy still play effectively? I know math liked him, but perhaps he took a detour last season?

The lack of wiggle room right now can be attributed to the Nikitin/Ference signings. Far too much coin for both players for the 4th/5th d-man slots, especially since they’re not driving the bus.

Ultimately, it will be MacT’s responsibility. He had options and opportunities to fill that void – it’s best he resolve that position sooner rather than later. Concerning times – remains to be see if he Tambellini’s his way the rest of the summer.

83. wheatnoil says:

Diesel,

Thanks for that! Great write up!

84. Halfwise says:

Diesel,

OilFire: Beautiful stuff, man. Any sightings of Chase in there, curious how he compares to Khaira in development.

Ditto, keep doing this if you can, please.

85. PaperDesigner says:

Everything about Khaira makes me want to believe. Last year’s results were less than impressive, however.

Big, power forward with size, puck skills. He sounds like a force, and the sort of player you could play in your middle six for a decade.

Plus, it’s not like we see a lot of Gus of Indian descent in the NHL. For the cool factor of that alone, I’m cheering for him to put together a strong NHL career.

He goes to OKC this fall, right? A 50+ point campaign there would go a long way to assuring me he’ll make the jump eventually.

86. Halfwise says:

oliveoilers: Jasmine is an old friend of the site. Doesn’t post much, but always cheers me up.

Maybe it was the after-dinner scotch* … just felt like yanking Jasmine’s chain. That “run players out of town” thing gets old after a while, don’t you think? Even if there’s a grain of truth in it, don’t beat it to death.

*Dalmore, great if you like a sherry cask finish in a single malt. Very more-ish.

87. Racki says:

Diesel,

I’ll join in on the love fest. Awesome stuff. Got me pretty damn excited about some players I was already pretty damn excited about, but unsure if they were going to meet my lofty expectations. Can’t wait to see Nurse, Roy, Khaira more in exhibition this year.

Roy/Khaira’s numbers this year I guess weren’t all that stellar (I guess?), so I probably should temper the excitement a bit, but glad to hear they started camp well.

88. Clay says:

I’m not sold on Legwand. Ugly girlfriend, and his eye glow is lacking.

89. PDO says:

Can vouch for Diesel blowing up my phone. Can also vouch for him being the best hockey player I’ve played with and having a great eye.

Awesome post buddy!

90. frjohnk says:

Diesel,

Beautiful. Thank you.

91. Ca$h-Money! says:

PunjabiOil:

Not many (if any) options remaining. Can Derek Roy still play effectively?I know math liked him, but perhaps he took a detour last season?

The lack of wiggle room right now can be attributed to the Nikitin/Ference signings.Far too much coin for both players for the 4th/5th d-man slots, especially since they’re not driving the bus.

Ultimately, it will be MacT’s responsibility. He had options and opportunities to fill that void – it’s best he resolve that position sooner rather than later.Concerning times – remains to be see if he Tambellini’s his way the rest of the summer.

Are you sure? How do you know the reason he went to Nashville was all cash? The guy has made lots of money to date, has three times been hated on by Canadian fans for underperforming. (Cal, Win, Cal). Maybe he just wanted to settle down somewhere else?

Diesel,

Awesome.

Thanks for that and please keep them coming!

Diesel,

That was beautiful. Darnell Nurse!!!! Blazing Saddle!!!

Stupid summer, when’s it done?

94. Esa10 says:

Great read diesel!

My 2 cents (or loud noises ALA LT)

Petry to St. Louis for berglund

Boychuk to edm for prospects and picks.

Add whatever to make it work but I think this could be the framework

Would people be happy with that?
    I think I would

95. pboy says:

Thanks Diesel, awesome job!

96. frjohnk says:

Nurse is now at 205 pounds.
    He was at 185 when drafted.

97. oliveoilers says:

Halfwise: Jasmine is like Krazy George, banging away on that same damn drum and hoping to get people stirred up. I don’t post much but I’ve been around here way longer than Jasmine.

It gets harder to stay fresh…….serious comedy isn’t what it was. I get my kicks wherever I can. Jasmine is like going through your record collection and not being able to decide, until you find an old favourite you haven’t listened to in ages. And the only grain of truth is in your fine Dalmore, sir. The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn’t exist.

98. book¡je says:

Diesel,

That was beautiful. Darnell Nurse!!!! Blazing Saddle!!!

Stupid summer, when’s it done?

October, but if history repeats itself ‘summer’ starts in late November, so enjoy the hell out of October!

99. spoiler says:

Diesel,

Awesome post, Diesel.

Can you comment on Khaira’s footspeed?

When I saw him in Penticton last fall he was a beast on the forecheck and the cycle, but struggled to get his ass back up the ice when the play went the other way, especially towards the end of the shift. Might’ve been an endurance issue, dunno for sure as his stride looks okay… would like to have seen more than a couple of games.

100. gd says:

RexLibris,

Interesting info on Bailey. I think it is plausible that he has some upside due to the Islanders dysfunction. I think his contract makes him relatively inexpensive to trade for. Islanders still need some NHL experience on D and have lots of cap space. Can the Oilers trade Nikitin for him? Is that even allowed when you’ve just signed someone. I sort of felt he was an insurance policiy in case they didn’t get Fayne. Could they then sign a Morris or Butler for $1.5Mill?

101. PaperDesigner says:

frjohnk:
    Nurse is now at 205 pounds.
    He was at 185 when drafted.

His voice has also dropped three octaves and grown women burst into fits of hysterics when they come within three square miles of his presence.

Henceforth, he shall be known as Son of Weir.

102. RexLibris says:

spoiler:
    Josh Bailey… really?

He has less O than Gagner and his D sucks just as bad.In fact, didn’t the Isles move him to wing this past season because he was so ineffective in the middle?

Bailey isn’t the best option out of all conceivable scenarios.

But I believe he may be the best option out of all those currently available.

I narrowed the field to show available options as of July 1, then added some markers at either end of the spectrum such as Monahan, Nugent-Hopkins and Henrique.

I’ve read a fair bit recently about Berglund to suggest that he doesn’t thrive against the middling competition, so expecting him to improve against tougher competition seems unrealistic.

Bailey has been able to compete against tougher comp, and he has also struggled offensively. The last three seasons, keeping in mind the abbreviated 12-13 season, his most common linemates were Martin(11-12, 42%) and Nielsen (12-13, 82.8%, 13-14, 64.5%) as well as being paired with Hamonic and MacDonald/Hickey the last two season on D.

This suggests that he has not been deployed exclusively as a C, but that he has been a key part of the Islanders’ shut-down line.

I’d rather acquire Bailey than Berglund as Bailey appears able to face tougher competition. Berglund is much bigger (3 inches and approximately 20+ lbs) but the difference in their NHL ppg is 0.06 (.5 for Berglund, .44 for Bailey).

There are a half a dozen players I’d rather have for the Oilers’ 2C spot. But between Berglund and Bailey, I’d take the latter based on team needs.

This suggests that he has not been deployed at C as much the last seasons but that he may be adaptable to that position based on history.

*edit – sorry, comment cut off early there.

103. Numenius says:

speeds:
    Numenius,

That makes sense. Thanks. Doesn’t leave a lot of breathing room, but it would be a way to fit everything in. (Insert that’s what she said comment here)

104. RexLibris says:

frjohnk:
    Nurse is now at 205 pounds.
    He was at 185 when drafted.

I’ll set the scene…

Lunch break at Oilers camp.

Nurse sits down at the table and gives his order to the waiter. Leans back in his chair which creaks noticeably.

MacTavish inquires as to how much weight Nurse gained during the off-season.

Upon hearing the answer he leans over to the waiter and says, pointing to Nugent-Hopkins, Marincin and Gernat, “they’ll have what he’s having”.

105. Frank the dog says:

RexLibris:
    Okay, ran the Vollman sledgehammer (CorsiRel) on the following:

Bailey/Neilsen
    Legwand/Goc
    Grabovski
    Kadri

Monahan and Schenn were both large deep orange bubbles in the Ozone quadrant.

My take based on this data – trade for Bailey as your 2C.

How does Bailey shape up against Arco in your opinion?

106. Hammers says:

DBO:

Philly .

107. RexLibris says:

Frank the dog: How does Bailey shape up against Arco in your opinion?

I’d defer to Bailey because he has played nearly three NHL seasons.

I like Arcobello, and maybe they both provide the same level of offense. But can Arcobello play a shutdown role against NHL competition over an entire season?

If the ask for Bailey or Berglund is a 1st, stick with Arcobello and store those trade requests in the “I’ll remember you said that” file.

If you could get Bailey for Lander and a 2nd, I think you have to take a long look at that deal. It closes a roster hole, adds depth (Arcobello could always slide in should you have an injury to either Bailey or Nugent-Hopkins, at least for the short term), and you are potentially adding a C that could replace Boyd Gordon in two years’ time.

108. Diesel says:

OilFire: Beautiful stuff, man.Any sightings of Chase in there, curious how he compares to Khaira in development.

I liked what I saw of Chase. He looked bigger than listed, and he skated well. Unfortunately I did not spend too much time watching him. In relation to Khaira, I assume he isn’t as far along or I would have noticed him appropriately. He was primarily in the end I was observing that also had Saddle, Nurse Khaira etc.

Racki:
    Diesel,

I know what you mean. I didn’t really plan to watch Nurse so closely because I thought I had a pretty good handle on his development already. He’s farther along, and much nastier than I thought.

spoiler:
    Diesel,

Can you comment on Khaira’s footspeed?

When I saw him in Penticton last fall he was a beast on the forecheck and the cycle, but struggled to get his ass back up the ice when the play went the other way, especially towards the end of the shift.Might’ve been an endurance issue, dunno for sure as his stride looks okay… would like to have seen more than a couple of games.

109. belcolt91 says:

Diesel: Anyone order a Chris Pronger?

Yes, please, with playoffs on the side.

110. PaperDesigner says:

belcolt91: Yes, please, with playoffs on the side.

I know I specifically ordered a 26 year old Pronger, not a 19 year old pre-Pronger!

111. G Money says:

Diesel,

Brilliant reporting, thanks. A couple of your descriptions gave me chills!

RexLibris,

Ha! Awesome.

112. spoiler says:

Diesel: There was fairly limited full-ice skating. However, the rush drills that were performed took place after 2 hours of hard battling etc, and he looked swift to me. Whether this represents an improvement in mechanics, agility or just conditioning is unclear.

That sounds very favourable, thanks.

I don’t really see any decent trade opportunities out there, so I’m trying to get pre-accustomed to the idea that we’re running Arco in Gagner’s slot and one of Lander, Khaira or The Saddle in the Arco/Acton slot.

113. belcolt91 says:

PaperDesigner,

I just hope Nurse doesn’t marry anybody who is not happy in Edmonton.

That would be great.

114. spoiler says:

I wonder if Andy McDonald could be convinced to come out of retirement and work out hard for a summer, play one more year? Platoon with Arco. Are his income taxes up-to-date?

See the straws I`m being forced to grasp at?

We`ve gone from MacTivity to LacTivity, dammit.

spoiler:

See the straws I`m being forced to grasp at?

We`ve gone from MacTivity to LacTivity, dammit.

Well that’s a killer line.

116. Old School G says:

Diesel, thanks for the effort!

Nurse has ‘the’ attitude. T Hall has it, Hendricks has it, Scrivens has it, Perron has it, Ference has it, B Pou brings it with him, I think Yak will bring it, along with a giant chip on his shoulder, this season. Leon has that ‘not to be fucked with’ look about him. The skill and minutes vary amongst players but it’s the lack of respect they show the opposition that’s going to get us back to being the underdogs fighting above our weight class in the playoffs again, I cannot wait.

117. spoiler says:

Looking at Ott’s fancy figures from last year, and I am shocked to discover that Ryan Jones put up very similar numbers… albeit in much more limited TOI.

118. spoiler says:

Lowetide: Well that’s a killer line.

Unfortunately, I am LacTive-intolerant.

119. Romulus Apotheosis says:

spoiler: That sounds very favourable, thanks.

———
    Thanks for the reports Diesel.

120. spoiler says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I have no idea, but I think Yakimov might have a better chance to play in the NHL before Khaira.

I’d bet they’d want to give him a year in OKC to adjust to the NA ice and style of play. Also, Khaira is used to more game minutes and should be ahead of Yak2 defensively, considering his recent coaching.

In reality though, they’re probably both a year away.

spoiler: Unfortunately, I am LacTive-intolerant.

I’m radiolactive.

122. spoiler says:

Lowetide: I’m radiolactive.

Ha! That’s perfect.

123. spoiler says:

spoiler: In reality though, they’re probably both a year away.

I mean a year away from even being considered, not a year from making the NHL.

124. Pouzar says:

Diesel………listen to me……….don’t toy with my emotions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

125. lance says:

OilClog:
    Watching sportscenter..

If Subban is having contract talk problems.. Offer sheet!

Or Giant trade after said offer sheet..

Yak, Petry, 2015 1st do it?

I asked the lady if she would do that deal. After a minute she said that yeah, she probably would. Another minute later she said “Actually not Yak. One of the other ones. Taylor Hall. That kid’s got a problem.” From a Ducks fan who sympathizes with us poor bastards.

After catching up on the comments I flipped to Asia Times and found a guest post from Noam Chomsky.
    Serious mactspectus.

126. Rondo says:

lance,

Noam Chomsky is an idiot, if your going to read Asia Times read Spengler

127. FastOil says:

I’m radiolactating.

Seeing a doc next week.

128. Yeti says:

Rondo,

Noam Chomsky may be many things, both good and bad. An idiot isn’t one of them.

129. Big Dan says:

I agree Legwand is the best option but only on a short-term deal. Not likely to choose here over other options.

MacT may be fielding options now, but will wait until camp before making a decision. I think Bailey= Berglund and could be had for less (D prospect). Isles updated their F’s yesterday but need some depth on D. Heck, maybe MacT does trade Nikitin if Nurse or Klefbom dazzle in camp? The Blues are crazy if they think they can get a 1st rounder for an overrated and mediocre 3rd liner.

MacT needs to see first… Is Draisaitl able to handle 2nd or 3rd line? Can Arco run with the wolves for a year (with two big linemates in Perron and Purcell)? Arco showed last year until Eakins gave Gagner his ice time back that you can overcome size with speed, smarts, and defensive acumen. Arco also doesn’t shy away from physicality like Gagner did. If neither guy is ready for 2nd line duty, perhaps you trade for Josh Bailey.

I think Bailey was the best option on the table for MacT until Purcell fell on to his lap. I’ll bet MacT did a little happy dance. Purcell is a VERY good player who had an off-year. Oiler fans are going to be very pleased with his steady 50-point production. Gagner was gone in two years – no doubt, and will never be as good as Purcell.

Another guy who I think is still unsigned is Daniel Winnik. With guys like Goc only getting $1.2M, maybe Winnik (who is a natural center) is an affordable option. Maybe he’s coming grips with the fact he’s getting a pay cut and will sign soon. A helluva lot better than Loktionov, who’s inferior to Arcobello. Let Perron and Purcell do the scoring. He’s big, tough, mean, experienced (aka will make room for them and do the back checking), and will still score 30 points.

The more I think about it, the more I like it. Great insurance policy for Arco and Draisaitl. If they step up, Winnik can play on the 3rd or 4th line at C or the wing. If not, he plays 2C for a little bit until they are ready.

I think we should be satisfied that MacT is not making rookie knee-jerk mistakes anymore (Grebs, Jones). He is taking his time, working the phones, and has a plan (as shown by the consistency of players in his FA signings). I like it.

And neither Petry or Yakupov are getting traded. That’s just the media making crap up. Although I am curious about the one rumor involving Kadri/Franson and Yakupov/Petry.. If the Oilers picked up Winnik, that’s 4 pretty darned good lines and allows for Draisaitl to play another year in junior. Like I said though, that’s just conjecture.

spoiler:

I’m not.

Ott is done.

There’s a very good argument that he seriously hurt STL’s chances in the playoffs.

Massive drag on possession.

131. G Money says:

Yeti:

Noam Chomsky may be many things, both good and bad. An idiot isn’t one of them.

Chomsky reminds me of William Shockley.

Shockley of course is a giant in the scientific industry – was a co-inventor of the transistor. We have him to thank in large part for the very existence of this blog!

Unfortunately, later in life he decided to dabble in nutrition (vitamin megadosing) and genetics (eugenics in particular).

Chomsky to my mind follows a similar path. When I was in CompSci, his was a revered name because of his work on grammars. We have him in large part to thank for the work that allowed the modern day language compiler to be built, and in turn, basically everything in the world driven by software. He’s a linguist by trade, cunningness unknown.

These days he’s a darling of the left because he generates anti-capitalist missives by the dozen. Most of them are nonsense, and of course, Chomsky doesn’t actually have any actual background, academic or practical, in economics. But he’s eloquent and once was a highly recognized academic in an unrelated field, so he gets a lot of interwebs airplay.

Idiot? Definitely not. Crackpot? Yeah, probably.

132. misfit says:

RexLibris:

Bailey/Neilsen
    Legwand/Goc
    Grabovski
    Kadri

You’re missing some very important perspective on these numbers.

It’s important to note that “zonestart” only involves shifts that begin with a faceoff (no on-the-fly changes). The point is to determine what kind of role the coach is using them in, and individual zonestart can’t tell you that alone. In the case of the Maple Leafs, they didn’t have a single player with a zonestart of 50% or higher. This is because they are a dismal possession team, not because they’re made up of a collection of 23 defensive specialists. That’s why, like QualComp, it’s best to look at the player in relation to his team and not just the number itself. Sobotka and Kadri have identical zonestarts, but they play very different roles for their teams.

Nazem Kadri played 1,748 shifts of hockey last year. He took 1,127 faceoffs. So roughly 36% of his shifts were not captured in the zonestart calculation. Considering his zonestart number is by far the most favorable among Leafs players, I’d be willing to assume he’s going over the boards in offensive situations, likely when the team already has possession of the puck. It also only accounts for ES faceoff zones. Kadri’s 158 PP faceoffs vs 7 SH faceoffs probably swings his number over the 50% mark

133. gcw_rocks says:

peeds gets Legwand, Draisaitl, Schultz and Petry on the roster

Pretty sure he had under estimated the bonuses. Both Yakupov and Leon are eligible for $2.9M in bonuses, but his chart only shows Yakupov and Marincin eligible. You need to add another $2.9M to that number.

134. gcw_rocks says:

Landeskog got $3.6M. Matt Duchenne got $3.2M. Anyone forecasting Leon below 3.5M is kidding themselves.