LOUD NOISES 8: O BROTHER, WHERE ARE THOU?

And we’re back, with another edition of “OILERS WHEEL OF MEAT!” the most damnable game show on earth or hell. It goes like this: we hope for the best, and it turns out as usual. Well, not quite. Edmonton did acquire a solid solution at center (Boyd Gordon) and their Captain (Andrew Ference), along with a goalie who should have been better (Jason LaBarbera) last summer on Day 1 of free agency. They acquired Jesse Joensuu and Will Acton and Richard Bachman and Anton Belov and Denis Grebeshkov and Ryan Hamilton and Ryan Jones.

It was a lot. And it wasn’t close to enough. This season, Edmonton’s list is shorter, but the precision has to be much better. This is damn important.

SUMMER 2014 LIST

1. A veteran top pairing defenseman. A real man, big time EV minutes and a history of successful sorties. Update: Nikita Nikitin has been added to the defense, but doesn’t fit the top pairing role. It’s possible EDM adds that top-pairing option in the next week. Nikitin is an actual NHL player.
  2. A 2line C with experience and the ability to play a two-way game. This is the other vital piece.
  3. A legit two-way winger who can score 12-15 goals. The Pisani role. Mentor, calms the waters. Update: Teddy Purcel has some of the elements we’re talking about here, although he’s not a terrific two-way type. He does give the team offense on the wing, and he has experience.
  4. Find a way to get value, or make use of, Sam Gagner. This does not include time at center. Update: I like MacT’s aggressiveness in problem solving. He dealt 89 after the draft, and acquired an actual NHL player in Purcell. I’ve got miles of room to criticize the organization about handling Gagner, but the trade is fine from here.
  5. Improve the bottom 6F’s.
  6. Retain as much of the young cluster as possible, understanding that the player who represents #1 on this list might cost a young D who will one day fill that role.
  7. Get Petry signed long term.
  8. Sign Schultz but DO NOT break the bank.

OILERS PROJECTED FORWARD DEPTH CHART 2013-14 (WITH ?)

LEFT WING CENTER RIGHT WING
TAYLOR HALL RYAN NUGENT-HOPKINS JORDAN EBERLE
DAVID PERRON ???? TEDDY PURCELL
???? LEON DRAISAITL NAIL YAKUPOV
MATT HENDRICKS BOYD GORDON ????
LUKE GAZDIC MARK ARCOBELLO  JESSE JOENSUU
  ANTON LANDER TYLER PITLICK

The internal solutions (Mark Arcobello at 2line C, Jesse Joensuu at 3line LW and Anton Lander/Tyler Pitlick at 4line RW) are listed, but the Oilers need to upgrade across the question marks. Those players will get their chances via injury, there’s no need to force them up the depth chart.

A quick note as well on Leon Draisaitl. I don’t believe the Oilers should keep him, but his NHLE implies he’s about as good offensively as Nail Yakupov at the same age (82gp, 15-25-40 for LD) and greater than the Nuge:

DESJARDINS’ NHLE FOR MAJOR PICKS

1. Taylor Hall 17-29-46
  2. Nail Yakupov 18-22-40
  3. Leon Draisaitl 15-25-40
  4. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 11-27-38

For our purposes this summer, we’re going to assume LD stays with the club and forms the nucleus of a soft minutes line with Nail Yakupov and (I’m hoping) Nikolai Kulemin.

OILERS PROJECTED FORWARD DEPTH CHART 2013-14 (WITH ?)

LEFT DEFENSE RIGHT DEFENSE
MARTIN MARINCIN JEFF PETRY (RFA)
????? JUSTIN SCHULTZ (RFA)
ANDREW FERENCE NIKITA NIKITIN
OSCAR KLEFBOM

This is my interpretation, your mileage may vary. I like the top pairing better than the rest, and the Oilers need to fix that but I’m not sure it’s out there in free agency today. I think it’s very reasonable to suggest that the Oilers will either sign a strong option for 2nd pairing today, or we’ll see Oscar Klefbom in the top 4D by Christmas. Nikita Nikitin is the next batter up in the Justin Schultz pairing search, with Nick Schultz and Andrew Ference unable to manage the chaos.

friedge petryCraig MacTavish has some negotiating to do here, as Petry has the hammer (one year from free agency) and may want a long term deal in the 5′s. I don’t know that they have a choice here, but if the club does trade him, my guess is New Jersey or Detroit as the destination. The Oilers would be in a world of hurt sending him away.

FREE AGENT LIST (OILERS EDITION)

1. D Christian Ehrhoff—It’s a rare thing, receiving a gift from above. Oilers need to overpay here and sign Ehrhoff. I love the short term idea, but if this player wants five years the Oilers need to step up on him. WINNER: PITTSBURGH
  2. D Anton Stralman—Second verse, same as the first. Anton Stralman is probably a better fit, he could back up the RH side of the defense and fit with any of the current LH blue.
  3. L Nikolai Kulemin—A very nice fit for that mentor role on the Kings of Leon trio. Kulemin may like that role, I read he wanted to be placed in a more offensive situation. That’s a pretty cool fit.
  4. C Mikhail Grabovski—We’ve talked about him forever, I think he would fit on the 2 or 3 line very well, and push Nuge for playing time (good thing) on special teams.
  5. R Daniel Winnik—I see him as being a nice fit on that tough minutes 4line, and he could help on the penalty kill, too.
  6. D Mark Fayne—A solid, if unspectacular, option.
  7. C David Legwand—A fine solution for the Oilers, I don’t think they get him but he would certainly be a loud noise.
  8. R David Moss—I like him for the Oilers, but we haven’t heard his name much leading up to free agency.
  9. D Kyle Quincey—Gets mentioned enough as an option I think he may be an Oiler by noon.
  10. C Marcel Goc—Always liked him, and he could float around in several roles. Useful player, a good add if they get him.
  11. L Benoit Pouliot—Inconsistent as all get out, but he’s got some nice things and had a good year.
  12. C Paul Stastny—Oilers have been mentioned a few times, great add but I don’t think it will happen. If it does, bold isn’t a big enough word.
  13. L Dustin Penner—This is a big man who could play that soft minutes role and thrive. I don’t think he’ll come back, but I’d love to see it.
  14. D Derek Engelland—On the list because there’s clearly interest, signing Engelland and working on being a possession team are not the same thing. If this is the first signing we hear about, the only person in the organization who should be smiling is Todd Nelson.
  15. C Olli Jokinen—Like Engelland, his name is out there. I’d rather have his brother, but MacT is determined to add actual NHL players and would sign him short term. I think this would be good news for Arcobello, who could probably take him.

Happy Canada Day! I’ll be barbequing with beer later, will it be with joy in my heart?  History suggests the answer is no, but we hope for the best.

171 Responses to "LOUD NOISES 8: O BROTHER, WHERE ARE THOU?"

1. DBO says:

So lets have some fun and go with the best, OK, and worst UFA scenario. 3 forwards and 2 D being the “goal”
    LT’s wet dream
    The WTF scenario
    - Sign Penner
    - Sign Goc
    - Sign Fiddler
    - Sign McBain
    - Sign Engelland
    Ecstatic about 1st scenario, can live with 2nd and the 3rd is a trip down memory lane (tambo years). Although i would be fine with Penner as a 3rd line LW.

2. book¡je says:

Last year MacT channeled Tambellini and gave mild overpays to poor quality players. They need to accept one or two big overpays on short contracts.

A couple of players to help this team learn to win.

3. fuzzy muppet says:

- Sign Goc
    - Sign Fiddler
    - Sign McBain
    - Sign Engelland

Disagree on Goc.

5. John Chambers says:

The forgotten man this summer is one Bradley C Richards of Thunder Bay. He’s not big and he’s not young but he seems like a candidate for a 2- or 3-year contract. Assuming Stastny is a pipe dream I hold Richards on parallel with Grabbo as the big fly for 2C.

6. DBO says:

Pouzar,

I like Goc, but if he is the 2nd line centre then we are in trouble. He is a solid 4th, maybe 3rd. I like most of that last scenario, but they are the bottom end of the UFA pool. And if that is all we come out with, then it is very Tamblowe.

fuzzy muppet:
    My list:

Grabo
    Kulemin
    Moss/winnik
    Stralman/erhoff

As a fall back Id take:
    Meuller
    J. Jokinen
    Robidas
    Penner
    Goc

Mueller would be an interesting and worthwhile signing imo.

8. Pouzar says:

DBO:
    Pouzar,

I think he is fine on a line with our skilled wingers but I am just going by the fancy stats and reputation. Not much offensively with him for sure.

9. fuzzy muppet says:

DBO,

This team needs more players that can play against men. Goc wont score but he can play tougher minutes than the dangler and with the right people could shelter that butter soft inexperienced 2nd line

10. eidy says:

Hope they target Grabovski, Kulemin, and Fayne. If you can’t get these three be patient. Lots of the names on the list will be there in a few days when options are less for them. Some will be available in one month

A day signing no one with bullets to spare is better than going full Tambo

11. fuzzy muppet says:

It fits MacT perfectly. Low risk: high reward possibility

12. fuzzy muppet says:

eidy,

I forgot Fayne. Ut think he will price himself out of this market. fayne at big$ means good bye Petry.

Id rather just sign Petry

13. John Chambers says:

If Dallas signs Stastny or trades for Spezza, they’ll have a surplus at C and there becomes an opportunity to deal for Cody Eakin.

Then I throw a bunch of money at Strahlman for RD and offer Petry for the young pivot from the Peg.

14. DBO says:

One issue will be going too crazy today. As mentioned in a copper and blue piece, there are always great deals to be had in a few weeks, let alone months. Vets on 1 year deals who need a place. For once it would be nice if we made our young guys actually win a spot instead of going in to the year with a spot for them to lose. you know, how winning teams do it.

15. theres oil in virginia says:

John Chambers:

Somebody (NYCOil?) mentioned a few threads ago that Richards wouldn’t sign any further west than Dallas for family reasons. Personally, I hope that’s true.

16. eidy says:

Also include Ehrhoff and stralman in targets that you should fire a bullet at.

17. speeds says:

I could see EDM deciding to sign a guy like Goc. Would free LD up for more offensive situations(or Arco, I suppose)

18. eidy says:

DBO,

I wonder if this is what MacT was talking about when he said “this years Grabovski”

I’m scared.

Hold me.

20. Pouzar says:

Josh Rimer
    ‏@JoshRimerHockey
    Some people believe Joffrey Lupul could be on the move today. Gonna be an interesting day. #christmascomesearly #nhlfreeagentday

21. theres oil in virginia says:

Bohologo,

“Jesus” Ochoa deserved a better team, but hell, so does “Jesus” Howard. After the atrocious qualifying campaign that Mexico put up, they should be ecstatic about losing in the Round of 16.

22. Doomoil says:

Woodguy:
    I’m scared.

Hold me.

I’m actually terrified.

Like I did something wrong and I’m just waiting for my mom to find out.

23. Spydyr says:

I am fully prepared to be underwhelmed yet again.Which is still way better than the Clarkson offer.

24. Pouzar says:

Doomoil,

I fear Petry will not be an Oiler for long.

25. eidy says:

Walk dog- check
    Mow lawn – check
    Stock beer for Canada day – check
    Pillow set up to curl into fetal position- check

26. John Chambers says:

Pouzar,

Yes but that could be a good thing if we get something nice for Petry*.

*failure to replace Petry at RD means something nice may also come in the form of Connor McDavid, although Buffalo is miles ahead in that game.

27. russ99 says:

Feeling a bit woozy, hoping MacT is way smarter than that: moving Petry and Yak or possibly signing Gilbert.

We need a good day from MacT to move the team further.

Bold, I tells ya, bold!!

28. soup says:

Woodguy,

You’re too short and that Brylcreme on your ass hair makes me more than nervous,,,

Enjoy the madness!

29. Doomoil says:

Signing Gilbert is what a smart team will do today.

30. Gret99zky says:

Did anyone else find the projected forward depth chart as easy to read as I did?

Something about the left winger being on the left.

Well done, LT, well done.

31. cabbiesmacker says:

Going 100% Eklund I have a feeling the Oilers are going to pull something big that will have the Oilogosphere buzzing for some time. Big as in the multi-player deal LT’s been craving for some time and that it’ll include a top 6 / Petry name along with multiple D prospects.

It would seem obvious that the roster as posted isn’t good enough to push for a playoff spot and I’d bet MacTavish wants to be there sooner rather than later.

Cash strapped teams i.e. Bruins, Flyers and Hawks are teams that look like good partners and I’m still having thoughts that Patrick Sharp could get dealt soon. He’s played some centre for the Hawks but a 5.9 cap hit would be a lot for an older player.

Thinking San Jose and STL are going to make some big moves early.

32. Gret99zky says:

cabbiesmacker,

I get the exact opposite feeling. The only buzzing I expect will be the usual “WTF” and a bunch of players slotted into spots well above their actual playing ability.

Sorry.

33. cabbiesmacker says:

Gret99zky:
    cabbiesmacker,

I get the exact opposite feeling.The only buzzing I expect will be the usual “WTF” and a bunch of players slotted into spots well above their actual playing ability.

Sorry.

Nothing to be sorry for. I just think MacT needs to have this team show some real progression this year. 8 years of being a laughing stock has to grind a little.

34. saddleblazer says:

I have my fingers crossedki for Grabovski.

Gret99zky:

Something about the left winger being on the left.

Well done, LT, well done.

Ha!

Agreed.

36. Mr DeBakey says:

David Booth was available on waivers a week before the trade.

His & Purcell had the same CF% last season, except Booth earned his in the Western Conference.

Booth played 309 games in the SE Division, he scored .28 G/G
    Purcell played 229 games in the SE Division, he scored .24 G/G

Why did the Oilers trade Gagner?

37. hodgkins says:

Mr DeBakey,

Not really answering your question, but I think that Booth has some durability issues with 62, 12 (shortened season) and 66 gp in the last 3 seasons.

Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 1m
    Gearing up for free agency fun today. Oiler targets, 2nd line C 3rd line LW, 4th line RW, and at least one Dman. Won’t get it all.

39. Jon K says:

I really don’t think the team has more than $7 million in cap space, once we take into account signing Draisaitl, Schultz, and Petry. Let’s say we sign the following:

Petry $4 million
    Schultz $4.5 million
    Gazdic $750,000
    Draisaitl $3.75 million

The team would be left with only about $7 million in cap space.

That would leave either $5 million for a 2C (Grabovski) and $2 million for 3rd pairing D (Engelland).

Alternatively, it could be $3 million for Jokinen and $4 million for Fayne.

I really don’t know which situation I’d prefer, possibly the later as Grabovski may be looking for term.

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 3m
    If the #Oilers do land Mark Fayne who is a right shot could set off a domino effect with another Oilers D being in play…

Bob’s bringing up my guess as to why Petry rumours started. Fayne might be in the bag.

Gotta trade Petry then because you can’t have 3 NHL caliber RHD right? Right?

Stauffer suggesting an Oiler D in play if they sign Fayne. La la la la la

42. Pouzar says:

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 5m

Sign at Oiler’s HQ.

WE NEED GOOD NHL QUALITY DMEN

JUST NOT TOO MANY OK?

44. Jon K says:

Woodguy:
    Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer3m

Bob’s bringing up my guess as to why Petry rumours started.Fayne might be in the bag.

Gotta trade Petry then because you can’t have 3 NHL caliber RHD right? Right?

Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 1m
    Possible targets, Jokinen Legwand Grabov Goc Fayne Quincey Engelland Kulemin, Winnik. Could see them taking swings at Stastny both Boyles

Jon K: I wonder, are the Oilers ahead if they sign Fayne for $4, rather than Petry who then gets dealt? The important question becomes, do we get a 2C under contract for Petry?

Oiler’s have cap space, I’d rather they get a 2C with a short term overpay and run a competent Dcorps for the first time since 2009.

47. Jon K says:

Woodguy,

What do you think of my thoughts above? If Schultz indeed is holding out for a McDonagh contract, the Oilers don’t actually have as much space as we think.

48. eidy says:

Woodguy,

Noooo. This is so oilers.

I had the same thought re Fayne/Petry. Unless the return is a good young centre, why? Just why?

Brian Lawton ‏@brianlawton9 4m
    If @NHLFlyers r willing to give up a draft pick & pay 50% of Vinny Lecavalier’s contract once 2mio sb is paid today it is possible he moves.

I fear MacT biting on this.

Jon K:
    Woodguy,

If Jultz is holding out for a McDonagh contract I move him, not Petry.

He’s not McDonagh.

Not even close.

51. Mr DeBakey says:

hodgkins,

Not to beat a dead horse [Hah!]

But I forgot to include one vital, vital statistic:
    Ted Purcell Weight 195
    David Booth Weight 212

52. eidy says:

MacT must be feeling the pressure to get a 2c. There has to be better way than trading the best all round D they have.

Nervous times

Still expect Ranger to the oilers as well. Would love Grabovski but doesn’t sound good. Same for Kulemin. Next up goc and winnick?

53. Kris11 says:

Sign Heatley. Trade Yak for William Nylander. Make them wear Chris Pronger jerseys.

Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 4m
    David Moss a definite possibility as well, solid depth RW with good possession stats, can score a little.

Hockey Central ‏@SNHockeyCentral 6m View translation
    Grabovski available; Capitals don’t meet price http://bit.ly/1rctB8D per @reporterchris

Gogo Grabbo two year overpay!!

55. Kris11 says:

Purcell signed for ability to possess puck not his number of Higgs bosons.

56. RexLibris says:

Woodguy:
    Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer3m

Gotta trade Petry then because you can’t have 3 NHL caliber RHD right? Right?

Unless it is for a deal that brings in a D on an lower contract/ELC.

Petry for Larsson? Ha, it’s Canada Day, why not dream in technicolour.

57. fuzzy muppet says:

Friedman says spezza to dallas

No word on return yet

58. PunjabiOil says:

It is possible that Petry does not want to sign a long-term deal here. The abuse he takes from the fans (social media makes it easy), the fact he’s American and away from home, and his best friend from the team (Ryan Jones) is no longer here – free agency one year away must look attractive, and anything less than 5M might be causing the hold up.

Can’t really do much if you’re MacT and in a corner.

59. Kris11 says:

Do players really care about fan BS like that? I can see how in some cases media attacks might be a factor, e.g. Heatley car crash etc. But Petry would care that some fans boo and think he should check more? Is he a baby?

60. Jon K says:

RexLibris: Unless it is for a deal that brings in a D on an lower contract/ELC.

Petry for Larsson? Ha, it’s Canada Day, why not dream in technicolour.

Big pass on Larsson. He’s barely holding down an NHL contract at this point. Spent more time in the AHL than NHL last season. Played the most sheltered minutes on NJ’s defence last season with the exception of Eric Gelinas.

61. fuzzy muppet says:

Am i the only one that prefers they keep Petry over Jultz?

62. Mr DeBakey says:
  63. Kris11 says:

Apparently you are, muppet.

64. RT26 says:

LT,

Like Seguin did as a rookie, if Leon stays in the NHL why couldn’t we keep him as the 3LW? Put Arco as the temporary 3C (depending on what happens today) and focus on finding a true 2C and top pairing D.

Make Leon earn the center position, and leverage an under-appreciated asset in Arco in a favorable ZS scenario.

65. FastOil says:

Mr DeBakey:

David Booth was available on waivers a week before the trade.

Booth played 309 games in the SE Division, he scored .28 G/G
    Purcell played 229 games in the SE Division, he scored .24 G/G

Why did the Oilers trade Gagner?

Booth’s teeth are too white – suspicious.

If they trade Petry, there HAS to be someone coming back for the blue, and I would think it would be a bigger contract and a player who plays more minutes. WHY would you do it otherwise?

fuzzy muppet:
    Am i the only one that prefers they keep Petry over Jultz?

68. Jon K says:

Jim Nill seems to be doing a good job in Dallas.

Benn joined by Nichushkin, Seguin, Horcoff, and Spezza in the span of one year. Yikes.

69. fuzzy muppet says:

Clearly Spezza doesnt understand things. Nashville is a much nicer place to live than Dallas

70. eidy says:

Something with philly maybe? Coburn, couturier, Simmons, Schenn all possible targets.

Also lecavelier at half price has been mentioned(yuck)

72. Jon K says:

eidy,

Jeff Petry and some pieces for Coburn and Lecavalier with half salary retained?

73. FastOil says:

Pouzar:
    Doomoil,

I fear Petry will not be an Oiler for long.

I don’t know why everyone is defending Petry. At this point he should be contending for the Norris. If not that at least getting 50 points. Last year he failed again. I don’t know how he looks his teammates in the eye. He’ll get what he deserves, and so will the Oilers.

Spezza trade breaks down like this:

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie · 12m
    DAL trades Alec Chiasson, Alex Guptill, Nicholas Paul and 2nd round pick in 2015 to OTT for Jason Spezza and Ludvig Karlsson.

Woodguy:
    Spezza trade breaks down like this:

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie·12m

That’s the shittiest of the shittiest trades.

76. FastOil says:

fuzzy muppet:
    Clearly Spezzadoesnt understand things.Nashville is a much nicer place to live than Dallas

Hates banjos, oh wait.

77. Suntory Hanzo says:

FastOil,

Being an oiler fan in Canuck country allowed me to “see him bad”. Even the Canuck fans wanted him gone. They can run people out of town just as fast as the Oiler fans can!

78. Jon K says:

Lowetide: That’s the shittiest of the shittiest trades.

79. FastOil says:

Woodguy: Because Fayne and Jultz will be over $4MM. Add that to Ference $3.85 and Nikitin $4.5 and the D is getting expenisve…..

others are big enough to do so. Moving Petry to keep Ference would be ……. oh no.

DAL having Seguin and Spezza as 1/2 C with Eakin and Horcoff playing 3/4 C is pretty formidable.

If they add a good D they are a lock for the playoffs.

Nill has turned that team around on a dime.

It is possible in today’s NHL to do that apparently and not have a 123 year rebuild.

Who knew?

81. LMHF#1 says:

Jon K: What ended up going away to acquire Seguin and Horcoff, again? I’m starting to see a pattern and the pattern says hold onto your wallet when dealing with Jim Nill.

Coulda been the Oilers’ GM…

Shame

Lowetide: That’s the shittiest of the shittiest trades.

I like Chiasson and the 2015 2nd.

No question that the value isn’t there.

It is only 1 year of Spezza, but meh.

FastOil: A few captains have been bought out, the Oilers’ should be no different. Admit the mistake, move on,

Can’t agree enough with this.

84. FastOil says:

Suntory Hanzo:
    FastOil,

Being an oiler fan in Canuck country allowed me to “see him bad”.Even the Canuck fans wanted him gone.They can run people out of town just as fast as the Oiler fans can!

I think Oiler fans take too much or are given too much credit for being awful. I’m not sure we rate that high, kind of narcissistic.

Booth was clearly using one of Vancouver’s illegal dentists, Benning was probably worried he might need a filling.

85. Pouzar says:

Woodguy: Can’t agree enough with this.

+2.

86. russ99 says:

fuzzy muppet,

Nope, Petry is close to his potential, while Schultz can grow further.

Still, Petry is one of our few NHL defenseman and shouldn’t be dealt unless he’s asking for the moon as an RFA.

87. FastOil says:

Woodguy:

If they add a good D they are a lock for the playoffs.

Nill has turned that team around on a dime.

Who knew?

And in 2 years. It’s not that hard if you know what a good player looks like, although I am sure Dallas has a better night life etc.

88. Gret99zky says:

FastOil:

Booth was clearly using one of Vancouver’s illegal dentists

Bwahahahaha!

Win!

89. DBO says:

Would we be happy with Gilbert, Hemsky, Penner, trade for Brodziak.

Wait, didn’t we have those guys before? WTF.

90. Pouzar says:

DBO:
    Would we be happy with Gilbert, Hemsky, Penner, trade for Brodziak.

Wait, didn’t we have those guys before? WTF.

Brodziak was one of the worst RelCorgi players in the NHL last season. Just sayin.

91. cabbiesmacker says:

Lowetide: That’s the shittiest of the shittiest trades.

Nice deal for Dallas. Only having to pay Spezza $4M for one year of work. Very nice.

92. fuzzy muppet says:

Knowing Oilers, they’ll move Petry and two years from now will be complaining they need a guy JUST LIKE PETRY.

93. John Chambers says:

Woodguy,

Like I mentioned earlier in the thread if we’re going to acquire an RD and trade Petry we should target Eakin. Probably have to throw in a 2nd or 3rd as Petry has just one year before UFA and Eakin is about to enter a bridge deal.

Centre Depth -
    RNH – Eakin – Drai – Gordon

A step closer to Nirvana

94. Pouzar says:

I don’t see what all the praise is about for Dallas getting Spezza. It’s 1 frickin year.

95. Zack says:

You finally went with the “generic” depth chart, it was really easy to read! Anyways, wonder how much interest Jussi Jokinnen is garnering? Not exactly sure on his contract status though but I’m suprised (if he’s hitting market) that he hasn’t been talked about much. Not much that I’ve seen anyways.

Here comes the craziness…

96. John Chambers says:

Pouzar,

That is relative to his team and my guess is that Brodziak took on tough assignments and gnarly zone starts, while they tried to put Parise, Pomminville, Koivu the offensive sorties, and Granlund and Niederreiter easy minutes.

As a result, Brodziak was relatively penalized in the final accounting.

97. FastOil says:

DBO:
    Would we be happy with Gilbert, Hemsky, Penner, trade for Brodziak.

Wait, didn’t we have those guys before? WTF.

That would be awesome, shades of what should have been.

98. Pouzar says:

John Chambers:
    Pouzar,

As a result, Brodziak was relatively penalized in the final accounting.

Yeah he was givin the Toughs BIG TIME.

99. John Chambers says:

Pouzar,

I suppose since Spezza chose Dallas there’s a strong chance he buys a home.

Catch him on a fall episode of House Hunters looking for a palace in Dallas.

100. Pouzar says:

John Chambers:
    Pouzar,

I suppose since Spezza chose Dallas there’s a strong chance he buys a home.

Catch him on a fall episode of House Hunters looking for a palace in Dallas.

LOL @ House Hunters….nice call….my parents are in town and that is all I have been watching. They love it!!!

101. Wolfie says:

DBO,

That’s the problem with tanking. It’s so hard to get useful players back after blowing it up. Especially when you’re a less desirable market. Now you’re forced to overpay either in assets or money to get those guys or similar back.

The importance of having some later round picks develop and deliver on value contracts is magnified given the big contracts/cap hits demanded by the 1st round picks

102. eidy says:

Jon K,

Hope not

103. Henry says:

fuzzy muppet:
    Knowing Oilers,they’ll move Petry and two years from now will be complaining they need a guy JUSTLIKE PETRY.

If they start 3-7 this October, it won’t take any 2 years.

104. Numenius says:

Eklund has Hemsky possibly signing in Arizona. Gagner would like that no doubt.

105. fuzzy muppet says:

My sources tell the the Leafs are in on Jesus Christ and Moses to solidify their top line

106. Numenius says:

Wolfie:
    DBO,

That’s the problem with tanking.It’s so hard to get useful players back after blowing it up.Especially when you’re a less desirable market.Now you’re forced to overpay either in assets or money to get those guys or similar back.

Excellent points.

107. Lucinius says:

Numenius:
    Eklund has Hemsky possibly signing in Arizona. Gagner would like that no doubt.

Oh god, no. Don’t do it Hemsky! Gagner shits all over your game!

108. Kris11 says:

What evere happened to fancy undies lady the seer?

109. Kris11 says:

I suspect hemsky goes to Calgary. Seems all too likely.

110. fuzzy muppet says:

Kris11,

Back to the adult movie industry I guess

111. skidplate says:

Erhoff gone 1 year 4 mil to pits

112. DBO says:

ehrhoff 1 yr $4 mill to Pitt. fuck.

113. Wolfie says:

Ehrhoff off the board to Pittsburgh

114. Kris11 says:

If Jesus didn’t win the Lady Bing, THAT would be something. But in TO, he would.

Ehrhoff to Penguins. Clearly a case of a player wanting to head there, I wonder if Pens move Letang now.

116. Rondo says:

skidplate,

Kulemin will like that

117. Wolfie says:

Kris11,

I was wondering the same thing. I checked her twitter and she hasn’t posted anything since the deadline.

118. Kris11 says:

Good for Ehroff and Pittsburgh.

119. skidplate says:

I would not think so with it only being a 1 year deal

120. Younger Oil says:

PIT might not have room cap wise for Kulemin now, but we wait.

121. russ99 says:

Fayne and Pouliot! Sweet.

122. fuzzy muppet says:

So Erhoff gets 4 and Nikitin get 4.5.

Oilers!

123. Wolfie says:

Fayne and Pouliot!

124. Pouzar says:

BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 39s
    #Oilers agree to terms with defenceman Mark Fayne on a four-year contract and winger Benoit Pouliot on a five-year contract.

125. Wolfie says:

Colour me happy!

126. russ99 says:

Good start, MacT. Still need a center and a checking winger.

127. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: That’s the shittiest of the shittiest trades.

Heatley netted them Michalek, Cheechoo and a 2nd rounder.

Michalek is a player, and Cheechoo seemed like a Devin Setoguchi player at the time – maybe he rebounds maybe he craters.

Both are bad trades for the team, and I’ve long been skeptical of Murray as a GM (I don’t think he is as capable as people seem to suggest), but his hands were also tied.

Here’s something interesting to compare though.

What has more value, one full year of Jason Spezza or approximately six weeks (guaranteed) of Jarome Iginla? Just to compare two recent trades of franchise players who put severe restrictions on their potential trade partners.

Compare the two: a 2013 1st round pick, and two prospects most definitely not from the top-shelf vs a 2015 2nd rounder and three forwards, one of whom is establishing himself as an NHL regular while the other two are still junior/college level prospects.

I’d say the Flames overall got better value is only because they got a 1st round pick in a good draft year in exchange for a shorter window with the traded player.

Could we then say that Feaster got a better deal with just as many restrictions made by the player than Bryan Murray?

Yep, a shitty deal for the Sens then.

128. DBO says:

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 1m

129. Pouzar says:

ANd right before I have to go out to the Movies with my kid.

WOW.

134. DBO says:

Fayne 4 year $3.5 m ill per year plus $500k signing bonus. Great dollar amount

135. striatic says:

FAYNE!

136. RexLibris says:

fuzzy muppet:

Won’t help. Carlyle will sit them in the press box. #gritchart #turntheothercheek

137. fuzzy muppet says:

skidplate,

If thats the number, well done

138. russ99 says:

Cue the whining about term/money overpay.

That’s the cost of doing business this time of year unless you’re a real cup contender.

139. striatic says:

That’s a great signing.

140. DBO says:

Pouliot $4 mill per

141. Pouzar says:

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 1m
    Pouliot is 4$M AAV

142. skidplate says:

McTivity (someones accurate nick name) is getting it done.

143. Henry says:

Very nice deal for Fayne. There may be hope.

144. fuzzy muppet says:

The fayne signing is great, the Pouliot one inot so much

145. Pouzar says:

Holy Crap….Fayne for 3.5????

146. Henry says:

$20M to Pouliot? Is a a 2C all of the sudden?

147. RexLibris says:

Love the Fayne addition.

I stumbled on him as a possible UFA back in January when I was playing around with the Sledgehammer (love that I can use this sentence and this community knows what I mean by it).

Pouliot for 5 years. I’m really uneasy about this one. I don’t know the player very well and I hope like hell it works out, but I have misgivings over those long term contracts given to free-agents.

But Fayne! Music.

Just need a bottom sixer and MacTavish can feel he’s earned a cold one by the end of the day.

148. Wolfie says:

Maybe the need for a centre is lessened with the obvious addition of experience and actual NHL players on the wing???

What does this mean for Petry?

Yak and Petry + ? for Letang. Book it!

150. Tarkus says:

LT’s prodigal son Pouliot returns! (Albeit, a slightly different model)

151. skidplate says:

Regarding Pouliot 5 year deal, he is only 27, takes him to 32. Not too big a concern, the 4 mil is an overpay though. But as we all know that is what is needed to sign UFAs in Edm

152. leadfarmer says:

Fayne addition is fantastic. The Pouliot addition is the reason GMs should have the phone taken away from them on Canada day.

If I’m Eberle and Yakupov I would have my bags packed. I dont think both will survive the year.

153. striatic says:

5 years is a long time if he’s a bust – age no matter.

With the cap going up each year though, those longer term, mid-range dollars contracts will become a minor slice of the pie by the time they are winding down though.

154. skidplate says:

Tarkus:
    LT’s prodigal son Pouliot returns! (Albeit, a slightly different model)

LOL, this is MAP’s long lost cousin

155. leadfarmer says:

So we suffered through Tambellini era with being stung by the cap with terrible players. We waited for cap space, and now we will go back to spending the cap on bad players. .

156. fuzzy muppet says:

Woudve preferred kulemin at less $ and term but i can live with this,

Where’s the C?

157. skidplate says:

I am hoping that the 2 deals are in reverse……

158. russ99 says:

Still have to keep Petry. Let the kids earn their promotions.

We now have Fayne, Petry, Nikitin, Schultz, Marincin and Ference. That’s a big improvement over last year.

159. Numenius says:

From Stauffer’s tweet an hour ago, it looks like McT is not close to signing a C.

Bob Stauffer 1h
    “My guess is Oilers certainly will look to add another winger…center options pretty limited”

Pouliot is clearly the winger.

160. RexLibris says:

The Pouliot deal will hinge on any movement clauses.

If there are none, then the Oilers will be fine because if things don’t work out they can still buy him out or maybe even trade him.

The Fayne deal is a Ference deal all over again, but for someone far more likely to fulfill the role required.

That they offered as much as they did to Pouliot suggests to me that they were never going to be able to meet Grabovski’s demands, which also implies that Kulemin may be a pipe dream at this point based on their rumoured preference of playing together.

161. fuzzy muppet says:

Pouliot for 4 million and 5 years

Michalek 4 for 3

Im confused

162. Ryan says:

Wolfie:
    DBO,

More simply, that’s the problem with being in an undesirable market.

In 2009 the Oilers were a cap team that finished in last place…

It’s easy to put on your rose colored glasses and talk about all of the good nhl dmen we had that year, (which WG is prone to doing) but every player on that entire roster with the exception of Hemsky were overpaid.

Add up all of the 15-20% overpays and it’s hard to ice a competitive hockey team.

I remember crunching the numbers back in the day and we gad spent an inordinate amount of our cap on dmen.

I recall reading a great article that suggested spending money buying offensemen was a fool’s errand past 1 offenseman.

We had four.

163. Doomoil says:

leadfarmer:
    So we suffered through Tambellini era with being stung by the cap with terrible players.We waited for cap space, and now we will go back to spending the cap on bad players..

Are there signings that only you know about?

164. FastOil says:

I don’t know much about Benoit, but I think I sussed out the facts: 15 goals (7PP) and 141 hits. That’s quite an over pay for a guy that has some hands and plays physically. Thanks LA Kings.

The real concern here is he’s listed at 6’3″ and under 200 lbs playing a ‘heavy’ style. I hope he can stay healthy.

165. Ducey says:

TSN saying Pouliot has some good fancy stats. Its an overpay, but he should help improve the top 9. EDM has to overpay.

EDM should still have about $5 million in cap space (assuming Petry and Schultz sign for a combined $8 million)

Burke screwed up – got nothing for Cammy

166. frjohnk says:

Pouliot is a bit of an overpay but I really like the signing. He gives us size, skill and grit on the wing.

Now just need a decent center. If nothing is found in free agency, MacT will have to trade for one.

167. Frank the dog says:

Ducey:
    TSN saying Pouliot has some good fancy stats.Its an overpay, but he should help improve the top 9.EDM has to overpay.

Burke screwed up – got nothing for Cammy

Benoit Pouliot:

Mark Fayne:

168. Kris11 says:

Is 4 MM for Puloit an overpay?

Cap is 69MM for a 23 man rosterl, yes .

That means an average of 3MM per player.

UFA players will earn more and rookies and RFA’s less, given the structure of the current bargaining agreement, (Eberle and Hall can’t complain about that. If they were UFa’s, they’d have earned more.)

So an average-ish UFA player earns more than 3MM.

Also, cap will go up and Pouliot’s 4MM will take up less of a percentage of the cap.