OILERS PROSPECTS 2014-15: GREAT EXPECTATIONS (VOL 2)

In our second (and final) look at the Oilers prospect depth chart, we continue to see rows and rows of defensemen, big forwards with a puncher’s chance, and goalies with major to major major issues.

• No. 21: R John McCarron, Cornell Big Red NCAA. Big 22-year old winger has 100 college games to his name and will stay another winter. He’s a physical player, has been running in place offensively but my guess is they like him and he’ll sign in the spring.
  • No. 22: D Brandon Davidson, Oklahoma City Barons AHL. Lots of competition at the AHL level now, he’s been passed by Marincin and Klefbom with more to come. The defender did receive a callup to the NHL last season, but didn’t play. Jason Gregor quoted new Oiler coach Rocky Thompson as saying that (after Marincin and Klefbom) this fellow is the one to watch out of the AHL stable moving forward. High praise.
  • No. 23: D Ben Betker, Everett Silvertips WHL. Huge (6.06, 216) defender who can also skate well, Betker blossomed this past season and has a chance to make it as a pro player. People will call him a 5-6 but I think we should see if he can pass and penalty-kill and keep an open mind.
  • No. 24: D Jordan Oesterle, Oklahoma City Barons AHL. This is the first defenseman on the list who I think will see time in Bakersfield. The Oilers have a lot of blue, and Oesterle played only five pro games after signing. He’s not an offensive player, he’s not known for crushing defense, and he is not a big player. We’ll have to see what he is, but at this point he isn’t better than about 10 guys who are also trying to break down the door from OKC.
  • No. 25: R Iiro Pakarinen, Oklahoma City Barons AHL. Perhaps undervalued at this number, better to err on the side of caution. I think he’ll be in contention for an NHL job in the fall along with Pitlick and Pinizzotto, but he is unlikely to get the job if Pitlick performs well.
  • No. 26: D Brad Hunt, Oklahoma City Barons AHL. It’s easy to forget about him, but the Oilers like these scatbacks and he could replace Phil Larsen on the big club next season. It’s more likely he spends the year in the minors.
  • No. 27: C Liam Coughlin, Vernon Vipers BCJHL. Big 20-year old power forward who can play center or wing, a little shy offensively. Originally slotted to go to Boston University this fall, it looks like that has been moved back one year.
  • No. 28: C Kyle Platzer, Owen Sound Attack OHL. Traded mid-season but as Brock Otten from OHL Prospects writes he still looks like an undersized tweener. The stories you hear on draft day about not getting playing time, or Lou liked the guy, or his brother is 7.01, they’re all mindbenders. NHL teams shouldn’t draft these players before the Greg Chase group, and the fact that they do tells you a lot about human nature.
  • No. 29: R Mitch Holmberg, Oklahoma City Barons AHL. Scored 62 goals in the WHL last season and scored a pro contract for his trouble. When a guy this good offensively gets passed over, it’s size or speed as the culprit. ALWAYS ask for the faster guy, even if he’s 5.05. Holmberg is 5.10 but the size issue is going to follow him forever. My opinion? 62 goals! I can count, that’s a lot. He scored 39 the season before too, so this guy can put a charge into the ball. All we can do now is cheer, because anything he ever does will be viewed through a biased lens.
  • No. 30: R Steve Pinizzotto, Oklahoma City Barons AHL. One of the last players on this list with a legit chance to play in the NHL this season, and I suspect he will. In a late-season audition a year ago, you could see why Edmonton dealt for him. Tough, physical and can skate plus play a little. There’s not 5% difference between this guy and a dozen end of the roster physical wingers, and that 5% is luck. We’ll see, but he has a chance.
  • No. 31: L Aidan Muir, Western Michigan University NCAA. Raw winger with potential, I think this is the player-type we discussed for the fourth round—where you need six of them to produce one actual player. He has some nice things, I’d like to know if he can pass and take a pass.
  • No. 32: G Frans Tuohimaa, Oklahoma City Barons AHL. The Finn is the final goaltender on the list who (imo) can be counted as a prospect of note. After this, there are simply too many question marks. He’ll battle Bachman and Brossoit for playing time in OKC and one suspects there will be a California trip, too.
  • No. 33: D Joey Laleggia, Denver University NCAA. Undersized offensive defender whose numbers keep going down each season in Denver. It could be quality of team or how he’s being used, but with all of these defensemen ahead of him, I’m not sure we’ll ever see him in Oklahoma City.
  • No. 34: R Andrew Miller, Oklahoma City Barons AHL. Struggled for a long period last season, but came on late. I don’t know that he’s unique in any way—Arco is a much better offensive player and they are the same age—but I’m glad we get to see him for another season.
  • No. 35: L Daniil Zharkov, Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod KHL. He’s only 20 so there’s lots of time. However, Zharkov had the ultimate limp noodle season in the KHL at 19 and Edmonton is going to have to pull him out of there or forget him if it happens again.
  • No. 36: L Josh Winqusit, Oklahoma City Barons AHL. Based on scouting reports there’s plenty to like here. Extremely skilled (and a Stone Alone offensively on his WHL team), he also displays a nice range of skills and can impact the game on more than one level. This is a very interesting player.
  • No. 37: L Curtis Hamilton, Oklahoma City Barons AHL. Scored a playoff goal and went 5-1-6 in a four-game run around the new year that must have caught someone’s eye. I’ve always cheered like mad for him, but even this blog was surprised he was qualified and then signed (although the terms have not been made public, curiously).
  • No. 38: C Will Acton, Oklahoma City Barons AHL. At the very edge of the callup group for 2014-15, he would rank (imo) behind Nuge, Leon, Gordon, Arco, Lander, Acton. Yakimov, Khaira and Andrew Miller could impact him, but there’s enough promise there for me to believe he will get a few games here and there.
  • No. 39: C Travis Ewanyk, Oklahoma City Barons AHL. Improved positionally as the season wore on, and the Oilers like his physical style. The problem is offense, and it’s pretty severe. He didn’t score a point in his first 17 games, and then had a two-goal game. His best 10 game period was 3-1-4 late March into April. The Oilers like him, and that has value. He seems to be improving as a checking option, that has value too. Ewanyk is going to have to find a way to score goals by guess or by golly, or he’s not going to make the NHL.
  • No. 40: (NR) G Keven Bouchard, Val d’Or QMJHL. 27GP, 2.95 .887. I like this selection more now than at the time, because he’s a classic draft and follow. He may never turn into anything, but they bought low and you never know. Especially with goalies.

It has come to my attention that the Oilers may not have the rights to D Erik Gustafsson, Frolunda HC SHL at this time. I had him ranked No. 26 overall, but have deleted him from the list until we receive clarification.

44 Responses to "OILERS PROSPECTS 2014-15: GREAT EXPECTATIONS (VOL 2)"

1. Chris Hext---formerly EasyOil--- says:

Didn’t Laleggia win NCHC Defenseman of the Year, as well as Offensive D of the Year? Perhaps speaks to a slightly wider range of skills than first thought.

Then again, Justin Schultz also won numerous awards at the NCAA level for his defensive ability, and we all know how that has presented itself thus far.

Would Laleggia & Schultz be cases of Tom Poti/Jack Johnson syndrome, where they never had to truly defend in college as they were so much more skilled/athletically gifted than their peers?

As usual, great stuff LT!

P.S. In case you missed it at the end of the last thread, thanks all for the kind words re: my article/site, much appreciated.

enjoyed your piece very much, Chris. As for Laleggia, hopefully he’s developed as a defenseman, that would be huge. But as you say, awards often go to the point producing defenders.

3. One-Timer says:

Evidently the on-line community is speechless at the sight of this list. Good? Bad?

Chris, quite enjoyed the article as well.
    I’m wondering if there’s a way to blend the FF or Corsi stat with the player usage somehow, so they can be compared on a level field. A Unified Theory of player possession effectiveness, if you like.

One-Timer: Sunday in July. :-)

5. One-Timer says:

Are you telling me I should go outside and play?

Could work on my tan…

6. John Chambers says:

Question: would you trade all 20 of them for a single first-round pick?

7. One-Timer says:

John Chambers:
    Question: would you trade all 20 of them for a single first-round pick?

Early 1st round, yes. Late, no.

Someone out of this group (21-40) has to pay off as an NHL regular.

John Chambers:
    Question: would you trade all 20 of them for a single first-round pick?

It would depend on the quality available in the draft and the quality of your top 20 prospects. I’d be tempted by 2013 and 2015 1st rd picks.

9. justDOit says:

That’s a nice endorsement of Davidson by RockyThomp. Will be interesting to see if he gets a cup of coffee this season.

Anyone else puzzled about why Del Zotto is still UFA? And if his situation is having an effect on Jultz’ contract?

10. Chris Hext---formerly EasyOil--- says:

One-Timer,

Well the colour of the bubbles relates to their Corsi (or Corsi Rel depending on which you have selected) – blue = good, red = bad, if that’s what you mean? Or do you mean something beyond that?

11. Frank The Dog says:

More so than any roster changes, I think this team will be transformed by the addition of Ramsay and Thompson. I believe those two will change the dynamic of the team, and we’ll see the difference in how the young core perform, particular. Rocky will add the fun and Ramsay the expertise.

12. Ryan says:

Chris Hext—formerly EasyOil—:
    One-Timer,

Well the colour of the bubbles relates to their Corsi (or Corsi Rel depending on which you have selected) – blue = good, red = bad, if that’s what you mean?Or do you mean something beyond that?

Good article Chris.

Lordy how on earth did you start a hockey blog with UK writers? :)

How many people actually watch hockey in Australia / uk not including expats?

13. Ryan says:

Interesting quote from Ken Olland at the hockey news:

“I think you and I would probably agree there are four or five teams that are better than everybody else, and the same number of teams that are worse than everyone else,” Red Wings GM Ken Holland told THN recently. “With all the other teams, there’s not a lot of separation anymore. And we’re one of those teams.”

Link: http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/thns-pre-season-prediction-debates-underscores-how-parity-has-made-the-nhl-unpredictable/

Four or five teams better than everyone else:

1. Los Angeles Kings
    2. Chicago Blackhawks
    3. Boston Bruins
    4. Pittsburgh Penguins
    5. Annaheim

Four or five teams worse than everyone else

1. Buffalo
    2. Florida
    3. Edmonton
    4. Calgary
    5. Islanders

14. wheatnoil says:

justDOit:

After all Davidson’s been through, it’s impossible not to root for him. With the sheer number of young D arriving, he’s going to be in tough for a second contract. I have little doubt that he’ll put up a good fight. I’d love to see him make it.

Ryan:

Los Angeles
    St. Louis
    Boston
    San Jose (pending)

16. VanOil says:

Ryan,

I think you are being very very generous to Pittsburgh. I have Pittsburgh on par with Vancouver and no where near Stl or San Jose (depending how stupid they get). In the West, Pittsburgh would probably be battling Vancouver, Minnesota and Dallas for a playoff spot. They are defiantly mid tier.

Your 5 losers list is pretty sound. It will take a lot of effort to escape it for the Oilers. I think the Islander have the best shot this year, but my faith in Snow doing something stupid means this won’t happen.

Boston seems to be a team running on fumes like Detroit was the last 4 years. They are old and great and not quite on the verge of collapse but and the road to slow decline.

17. Ryan says:

Lowetide: Five better teams (imo)

Chicago
    Los Angeles
    St. Louis
    Boston
    San Jose (pending)

Oops… I thought I had St. Louis for some reason… Apparently I forgot how to count to five and read simultaneously. :)

I included the Pens which admittedly appear in decline because they still have the best player in the world.

San Jose had a great team last year and nearly beat LA, but how much longer can old Joe keep up that elite level of play?

18. Ryan says:

VanOil:
    Ryan,

Yeah, they’re will be some flux. Chara doesn’t have many years left and is in decline. I agree with your thoughts on Boston.

I think the Sharks are teetering too though. Couture’s already doing the tougher sledding than Joe on extraskater. Dan Boyle’s gone. Old Joe will still be a huge shoe to fill when his wheels fall off.

Overall, the a East is in shambles compared to the west.

19. Chris Hext---formerly EasyOil--- says:

Ryan,

Haha, thanks Ryan!

There is a surprisingly passionate fanbase in the UK – the EIHL isn’t exactly of high quality overall but the cities which have teams have great fans. NHL coverage was spotty for a long time before ESPN came along, and now Premier Sports shows games most night, along with the odd EIHL game. I was at the London Premiere series in ’07 (between LAK and ANA) and the turnout was phenomenal – a lot of ex-pats and Euros for sure, but also a tonne of us Brits. Nine of my writers are British/Irish, the other 4 American.

It tends to be the teams with long, well-established histories that are followed in the UK – Detroit, Philly, Boston, Chicago, Montreal. Then you have a lot of Ducks fans thanks to Disney – those films (and the cartoon) were surprisingly big in the UK. Sidney Crosby has made the Penguins pretty popular. There’s a worrying amount of Devils fans for some reason too, but that’s inexplicable to me.

I grew up playing NHL ’98 on my PC, and always played as whichever team Gretzky was on – I’m not sure how but I just knew he was the best. I vaguely remember watching him on TV at Nagano. 8 years later, just prior to the ’06 run, that’s how I “discovered” the Oilers. We tend to have unique, fairly weird stories as to how we Brits fall into hockey.

As for Australia, again, it’s a small but VERY passionate fanbase. Nathan Walker certainly isn’t hurting things – not long after I moved here last year one of my colleagues turned out to be a coach of one of the local teams, and had skated with Walker several times, saying he was simply unbelievable – a prodigal talent relative to his Australian peers. Writers like Sasky Stewart are doing a good job promoting the game, and the league live-streams many of its games for free internationally – given the AIHL takes place during the NHL offseason, this allows hockey nuts to get their summer fix. It also helps that NHL games here are all in the morning/early afternoon – not good for weekdays but on weekends it’s great (when you’re not at the beach).

There is a special USA v Canada international series currently on tour here in Oz too, a couple of NHLers, a few AHLers and others from lower leagues (including Tyler Bunz, as we were discussing here the other day), which I am attending in Sydney on Saturday. They get pretty good attendance.

I’m not sure I actually answered your question as to how many non-expats watch, but I can assure you there is not an insignificant number in both countries!

20. Hammers says:

Lowetide: Five better teams (imo)ChicagoLos AngelesSt. LouisBostonSan Jose (pending)

Take out Boston as well and add Montreal . OMG I can’t believe I’m saying that .

21. VanOil says:

Chris Hext—formerly EasyOil—,

For a long time when I was in the UK it seemed NJ was the default late night game of the week, or even playoff series shown. I am not sure if this was because there was NJ fans in the UK or it created NJ fans in the UK. I fucking hate trap based swamp hockey and it made it hard to stay awake or convince my friends to watch. Good article and good luck with the site.

22. VanOil says:

Ryan: Yeah, they’re will be some flux.Chara doesn’t have many years left and is in decline. I agree with your thoughts on Boston.

I think the Sharks are teetering too though.Couture’s already doing the tougher sledding than Joe on extraskater.Dan Boyle’s gone.Old Joe will still be a huge shoe to fill when his wheels fall off.

Overall, the a East is in shambles compared to the west.

I guess the NHL really needs the 2015 draft to sort out the East because all arrows this summer point to a generation of Western dominance.

23. RexLibris says:

VanOil: Agreed on all points. It seems weird that the East does not even seem to have any up and coming teams sure Florida and NYI may one day not out right suck but they are hardly looking like future dynasties. Pittsburgh did a few years ago but seem to have ‘capped-out’ with ‘crapped-out’ goal tending.

Maybe if the Oilers didn’t steal all the 1st overalls… ;)

Seriously, I was thinking about McDavid and wondering if the lottery doesn’t swing over to put him in the East this year just to try and bring some more marketability there.

The really funny thing is, if the Penguins were out West there’d probably be talk of them being a failed rebuild, I think.

Crosby may be a better player than Toews, but what Toews has managed to do in Chicago against the Western Conference the last four years makes him deserving of the recognition he is getting.

24. Chris Hext---formerly EasyOil--- says:

VanOil,

Interesting, when was that? During the Devils’ Cup years or more recent? If it was the former it wouldn’t surprise me, TV broadcasters being what they are they will always show the most successful teams first and foremost to get the ratings, particularly if they’re only able to show one or two games per night. When I was in uni it was the Wings and Penguins getting most of the airplay – again, given they both won cups and you had Crosby, Datsyuk & Zetterberg on display.

Thanks for the kind words :)

25. One-Timer says:

Chris Hext—formerly EasyOil—:
    One-Timer,

… Sorry, out having a couple of pints…

I mean is there a way to compensate for the usage so players can be compared fairly.

For example, if a coach ever decided to give Malhotra or Gordon an o-zone push (ha!) I’m pretty sure we’d see a ‘blue shift’ in their bubbles. Player usage has to be a big factor in their Corsis. Could these be mathematically normalized to 50% ozs and average comp so that we’re looking at everybody through the same lens?

With this hypothetical superstat you wouldn’t have to say that so-and-so’s FF sucked this year because of all the heavy lifting. There would just be one number based on that player IF he was right in the middle of the Vollman grid.

This way you might be able to predict if Pouliot will get slaughtered in his new and inevitably tougher role here in EDM.

Don’t ask me for suggestions – I’m just the “vision guy”!

26. VanOil says:

Chris Hext—formerly EasyOil—,

I watched hockey in the UK off and on from 96-2006. The Devils being the seemingly default team starting bothering me around 2003. NJ did have some Cup wins in there and I accept they were a successful team. The style of game they played and what it did to hockey in general through those years was dreadful though.

My thought process normally went; hey I am up late lets see if any hockey is on the Tele, yeah it is, oh fuck its NJ, Zzzz. And I would wake up on the settee blaming Lemaire for my hang over. Fucking Jacques Lemaire not only ruined hockey but causes hang overs!

27. VanOil says:

RexLibris,

It will be interesting to see how the NHL(Bettman) arranges for the East to secure the top 3 picks in next years draft. Sure they have dreadful teams out East but how do you lose that many games against your fellow dreadful teams?

Plus the NHL will want McDavid and Eichel to be in good (at least EST) TV markets. I would demand the right to audit the Draft lottery if I was a Western Conference team in with a shout next spring.

Ryan:
    Interesting quote from Ken Olland at the hockey news:

Four or five teams better than everyone else:

1. Los Angeles Kings
    2. Chicago Blackhawks
    3. Boston Bruins
    4. Pittsburgh Penguins
    5. Annaheim

Four or five teams worse than everyone else

1. Buffalo
    2. Florida
    3. Edmonton
    4. Calgary
    5. Islanders

Islanders are probably making the playoffs.

Florida has a chance too.

Edmonton TBA.

Carolina are bad.

Toronto is bad.

Pittsburgh is not good. They have 2 superstars an ok Dcorps and shite elsewhere.

Anaheim will probably have to fight for the playoffs unless Gibson is unreal, their Dcorps are in transition (old to young) and they got very lucky last year.

STL is very good.

SJS was very good and still have a chance to be.

29. nycoil says:

Woodguy: Islanders are probably making the playoffs.

Florida has a chance too.

Edmonton TBA.

Carolina are bad.

Toronto is bad.

Pittsburgh is not good.They have 2 superstars an ok Dcorps and shite elsewhere.

STL is very good.

SJS was very good and still have a chance to be.

Islanders should make the playoffs, agreed.
    San Jose there’s still a pending, I think, depending on if Wilson does blow it up like he says he wants to.
    Interesting everyone has Anaheim so high to me as well. I think they drop back to middle of the pack this year. I still think they make the playoffs, but don’t see them as an elite team.
    Agree with you on Pittsburgh.
    Oilers are in the wrong, damn conference.

The West I group this way (as of the current moves this summer)

Locks for the playoffs (doesn’t mean they will be top of their division but I don’t see them missing):
    Chicago, LA, St Louis

Improved playoff odds (highly probables):
    Minnesota, Dallas

Diminished playoff odds (probables):
    Anaheim, Colorado, San Jose (this really depends on Wilson’s plans)

Improved playoff odds (but still outside looking in):
    Nashville, Vancouver, Edmonton (glaring lack of depth at C is the killer, coaching improvements remain to be seen)

You’re going the wrong way!:
    Phoenix

Treading water for now:
    Calgary

Anyone at the wheel?
    WInnipeg

So I see Edmonton around 11th (+/-2 spots depending on luck, injuries). If everything goes right, they could be 9th, if everything goes wrong they’ll be 13th and in the McDavid sweepstakes.

If they were out East, I’d put them more in the 9th category where +/-2 spots from there could happen and we could be talking playoffs.

nycoil,

WIN has a lot of nice pieces.

They kill themselves by insisting on giving an average AHL goalie all their starts.

nycoil,

I’d put VAN in the group above with ANA etc.

A new coach will really help there and they still have the Sedins and an excellent Dcorps.

32. nycoil says:

Woodguy,

33. Pouzar says:

nycoil: Woodguy, That’s fair. I lumped them in the category of pushing for a playoff spot from below (in that they were bad a year ago), but I have Van improving a lot as well.Winnipeg has nice pieces but they keep stagnating because of Pavelec and the fact they don’t try to improve at all. Have you read that stat that Chevy has made zero player for player trades during his tenure? Zero.

Chevy has made zero NHL player for NHL player trades. Yes. Unreal isn’t it?

Can’t wait till the Jets miss the playoffs again this year while Chevy sits on his hands once more. I pass him everyday on the way to work…maybe I should suggest some trades? :)

34. Henry says:

“No. 29: R Mitch Holmberg, Oklahoma City Barons AHL. Scored 62 goals in the WHL last season and scored a pro contract for his trouble. When a guy this good offensively gets passed over, it’s size or speed as the culprit. ALWAYS ask for the faster guy, even if he’s 5.05. Holmberg is 5.10 but the size issue is going to follow him forever. My opinion? 62 goals! I can count, that’s a lot. He scored 39 the season before too, so this guy can put a charge into the ball. All we can do now is cheer, because anything he ever does will be viewed through a biased lens.”

Ray Whitney scored 80 goals in Fort Saskatchewan before scoring 60 in Spokane.

He had to play in the minors a while before he could make the expansion Sharks. Small, not very fast, but can score. I’ll be interested to see Holmberg’s numbers in the E and the A. The Barons don’t have a lot of goal scorers now.

35. Pouzar says:

Henry,

Whitney was the first pick in the 2nd rd (#23 overall). Huge difference.
    What a contrast in careers he and his running mate Mr. Faloon(#2 overall) had. Wowsers.

Pouzar: Chevy has made zero NHL player for NHL player trades. Yes. Unreal isn’t it?

He makes v4.0 look active.

Terrible management by inertia.

37. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: He makes v4.0 look active.

Terrible management by inertia.

38. Henry says:

Pouzar,

39. RexLibris says:

Franson one year at $3.3 million.

I wonder if MacT is letting the market narrow the margins on the Schultz contract. If so, it may be working in his favour.

40. Henry says:

I wonder where Rieder would have been in the list…

41. Pouzar says:

Henry: Pouzar, Right you are. My point, if there is one, is that particularly in today’s game with all the systems play, big goalies and team defense guys who can really score especially at evens do so because they have something that the big club should look at. Holmberg and Winquist scored an awful lot.

Gotcha.

42. Pouzar says:

RexLibris: I was asked a few years back to try and contribute some content to Jets Nation when it first began.I was happy to oblige but struggled withe finding content. I think my comments at the time were how do I write an article about a team that, outside of its very existence, has done virtually nothing of note?Of course, it is pretty clear to me now. Should’ve done a Jets-as-Seinfeld article – they’re an organization about nothing. Cheveldayoff is Constanza.

Good one…Chevy is NO Lloyd Braun!

43. nycoil says:

Pouzar: Good one…Chevy is NO Lloyd Braun!

Where is Art Vandalay when he is actually needed? ;)