OILERS SIGN AULIE

The Edmonton Oilers have signed defenseman Keith Aulie. He’s probably in the mix for NHL employment at some point in 2014-15. Here’s a former member of Dallas Eakins’ Marlie mafia and he’ll help the kids in Oklahoma City when he’s not on recall to the big club.

214 Responses to "OILERS SIGN AULIE"

Newer Comments »
  1. Yak2 says:

Love the moves by MacT: Nikitin, Fayne, Purcell, Pouliot, Aulie #InMacTWeTrust

And Craig freaking Ramsay. That’s a very nice one.

3. Darrell says:

Solid depth move if they lose Shultz and Petry …

4. russ99 says:

Yak2,

Two more and I’ll have my seven additions, with 2nd line center and one more checking winger (cheap in a week or two) to go.

5. Yak2 says:

And Craig freaking Ramsay. That’s a very nice one.

Definitely. Also, Fedun goes to the Sharks.

6. Ducey says:

Klefbom likely to spend most of the year in OKC. Yay!

7. Rondo says:

Fedun sign SJ

BOOOOO!

Only mis-step so far.

9. Yak2 says:

Ducey:
    Klefbomlikely to spend most of the year in OKC.Yay!

Nurse back to SSM as well. Maybe Draisaitl back to PA.

10. Frank the dog says:

25, Left D, 6-6, 228 lbs, -10 Career.

11. skidplate says:

Hiller to Cgy

12. Backhand says:

800k isn’t a bad deal

13. skidplate says:

2 x 4,5

What the hell is the new GM in Wash doing?

5 years for Orpik who was done 2 years ago.

5 years at $5.5.

What an anchor.

Also,

CAL sign Jonas HIller

15. LMHF#1 says:

Should have been Fedun. Still no clue how they saw him so bad.

Woodguy:
    BOOOOO!

Only mis-step so far.

17. JamesL says:

Surely this means that Jeff Petry is expendable now, right? At least, that’s what media-types are telling me on Twitter.

18. skidplate says:

Woodguy:
    What the hell is the new GM in Wash doing?

5 years for Orpik who was done 2 years ago.

5 years at $5.5.

What an anchor.

Also,

CAL sign Jonas HIller

Ya, Washington made the worst deal so far today.

19. Ducey says:

Lowetide: Meh. Depth guy, he’s going to get passed by all the kids anyway. I prefer Fedun, but they set him free.

Fedun likely won’t do well sitting in the press box most nights.

20. LMHF#1 says:

Ducey: Fedun likely won’t do well sitting in the press box most nights.

21. Ducey says:

Why is Petry expendable? Is there some law that prevents the Oilers from icing a full complement of NHL Dmen?

22. skidplate says:

What, a young player does not need to play to get better?

edit: meant to quote LMHF#1

23. DBO says:

vanek to Wild. West getting much better

24. skidplate says:

Vanek to Wild 3 x 6.5 mil

25. Snowman says:

I’m thinking the Oilers are going into the season with Nuge, Drais, Arco and Gordon as the respective centers. MacT has done an excellent job so far. No major home runs but definitely a couple of solid doubles and triples. The blue line looks like a blue line. We kept all the kids. The forward group is upgraded. Well done MacT.

26. DBO says:

Robidas to Toronto

27. skidplate says:

Robidas to Tor, 3 year deal. 37 year old, ouch

28. Lois Lowe says:

I am happy with the day so far. I am sad that both Vancouver and Calgary found goaltending. My kingdom for more C depth though!

29. flyfish1168 says:

Previous Marlies that was brought over last year were all failures. Not trying be negative but I’m not holding my breath on Aulie.

30. Numenius says:

Yak2: Definitely. Also, Fedun goes to the Sharks.

We’ll be sorry about letting Fedun go. Such a solid character guy with actual skill. I don’t think his size will hold him back as much as people think.

31. Ducey says:

LMHF#1: That makes zero sense. This line of thinking is completely flawed. Right up there with “he can only play on the top two lines”.

You have a guy who has played 4 games in the NHL and only 2 years pro, then you make him sit for 5 games at a time in the press box and expect him to be a good NHL player?

32. Lewis Grant says:

David Bolland and Brooks Orpik each get 5.5X5

Hiller goes for 4.5X2.

And Thomas Vanek settles for 6.5X3 (granted, location was a factor)

Some great deals today, some terrible ones.

33. Acumen says:

Honestly, it looks pretty good from here on out. Sign Petry and Schultz to decent deals, and find a serviceable middle 6 C and I’m okay to ride into the season with what we have. Going off the recent additions, Berglund or Legwand seem like they could be targets. Maybe even attainable ones.

We’re not making the playoffs with the moves the big boys in the West have been making, but con sarnit we’ll have a real team again!

Hall-Nuge-Ebs
    Pouliot-[Berglund]-Purcell
    Perron-Drais/Arco-Yak
    Hendricks-Gordon-Kid
    Gazdic, Arco/Drais

Nikitin-Fayne
    Marincin-Petry
    Ference-Schultz
    Aulie

Scrivens
    Fasth

I’ll take it.

34. Bling says:

Don’t think Petry goes.

I think Schultz might, and that would not be a terrible move.

35. rickithebear says:

Kieth Aulie:
    facing 1st comp
    3.15 EVGA/60 with Brewer and hedman in Tampa
    2.10 EVGA/60 with Phanuef in TOR
    facing 2nd/3rd comp
    below 1.90 EVGA/60 when not with Lee or hedman.
    Tampa destroyed a young man who was Marincin good
    when playing with Quality dmen.

Craig Ramsey bring back the top 20 1st comp EVGA/60 kieth aulie!

36. oliveoilers says:

LOL, DE to MacT: “Bring in who you want, as long as I gets me my Marlie!”

37. Henry says:

So the remaining 2C possibilities are Grabovski and Legwand? 2020 1st rounder for Berglund?

38. LMHF#1 says:

skidplate:
    What, a young player does not need to play to get better?

edit: meant to quote LMHF#1

Played in the AHL.

Will play after injuries.

Practicing and being with the big club can’t hurt.

If you’re good enough, you’ll bump someone (on a sane team anyway).

Can’t play in the NHL from an AHL rink.

39. flyfish1168 says:

Capgeek is slow so found this site that is useful

40. RT26 says:

With these signings and the preponderance of young, promising D (Shultz, Klef, Marincin, Gernat, Nurse and Simpson) – can’t help but feel a trade is coming…..

41. Henry says:

Interesting that Niskanen is still out there. Possibly a bidding war btw Colorado and Detroit.

If Detroit loses, they will want Petry.

42. VanOil says:

Tennis, Football, Free agency. I am feeling over caffeinated. I will need a beer soon.

If Eakins does not have a dedicated facepuncher line next year he will not be able to start them petulantly after a goal against. This is a good thing, so far this summer I was only hoping that Ramsay would slap him up the backside of the head every time he did this.

Sign Petry.

43. Lewis Grant says:

RT26:

Defensemen take forever to develop, and they don’t develop in a straight line.

(Are we even sure that Marincin is an NHL defenseman yet?)

We can trade Schultz/Petry three years from now if/when Marincin/Klef are established top 4 and Nurse and Simpson are at Marincin/Klef’s current level.

44. Numenius says:

I don’t mind Miller going to Van. There’s a reason St. Louis didn’t want to re-sign him.

45. HallDown says:

Good signing. Can bring Klefbom up here and there to help his development.

COL trades for Brad Stuart!?!?!!?

I’m going to do simultaneous mortgages on my house to free up cash to put on the UNDER when the regular season points lines come on COL.

Lois Lowe:

All the talking heads say the Oilers are still C hunting.

Not sure if its via trade or FA.

48. rickithebear says:

Mr. Aulie is a 23.8% shots inside 25ft
    13.8% success rate.
    there is magic there MR. Ramsey!

49. ASkoreyko says:

rickithebear:
    Kieth Aulie:
    facing 1st comp
    3.15 EVGA/60 with Brewer and hedman in Tampa
    2.10 EVGA/60 with Phanuef in TOR
    facing 2nd/3rd comp
    below 1.90 EVGA/60 when not with Lee or hedman.
    Tampa destroyed a young man who was Marincin good
    when playing with Quality dmen.

Craig Ramsey bring back the top 20 1st comp EVGA/60kieth aulie!

Please never stop posting here Ricki, I truly enjoy your contributions and the different angles you bring with your analysis!

50. Gordies Elbow says:

I’m not sure of it (not enough data points) but I’m starting to think there is a pattern here:

Leon Draisaitl : 6’2″ – 204
    Nikita Nikitin : 6’3″ – 217
    Ted Purcell : 6’3″ – 203
    Mark Fayne : 6’3″ – 215
    Benoit Pouliot : 6’3″ – 197
    Keith Aulie : 6’6″ – 228

Jeebus.

rickithebear:
    Kieth Aulie:
    facing 1st comp
    3.15 EVGA/60 with Brewer and hedman in Tampa
    2.10 EVGA/60 with Phanuef in TOR
    facing 2nd/3rd comp
    below 1.90 EVGA/60 when not with Lee or hedman.
    Tampa destroyed a young man who was Marincin good
    when playing with Quality dmen.

Craig Ramsey bring back the top 20 1st comp EVGA/60kieth aulie!

Defensmen stop pucks?

Cool.

52. HallDown says:

Henry,

Word is he’ll make a decision later this afternoon.

rickithebear:
    Mr. Aulie is a 23.8% shotsinside 25ft
    13.8% success rate.
    there is magic there MR. Ramsey!

When you are playing against guys who have hands for feet (low rung comp) then yes the SV% is much higher.

54. skidplate says:

Moulson to Buf 5 x 5

55. spoiler says:

rickithebear:
    Mr. Aulie is a 23.8% shotsinside 25ft
    13.8% success rate.
    there is magic there MR. Ramsey!

You know he is a defenseman, right?

56. VanOil says:

A 2nd line Center and a Stud D man away from being a contender.

2 to 3 years from now Draisaitl and the posse in OKC should solve the Centre depth problem and Nurse may solve the Stud D problem.

I think the defense is OK enough now to bridge the gap. The Center bridge is less certain. The Oilers will need to keep spending late draft picks on Goalies and Wingers (hopefully with bigger upsides than this year) and the next 8 years might not be as bad a the last 8 years.

Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 1m
    Told Oilers are not in the mix on Stralman.

58. skidplate says:

Woodguy:
    Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug1m
    Told Oilers are not in the mix on Stralman.

More than likely due to the player and his choices.

59. OilClog says:

Gordies Elbow:

Leon Draisaitl : 6’2″ – 204
    Nikita Nikitin : 6’3″ – 217
    Ted Purcell : 6’3″ – 203
    Mark Fayne : 6’3″ – 215
    Benoit Pouliot : 6’3″ – 197
    Keith Aulie : 6’6″ – 228

Jeebus.

Frail?

60. Lewis Grant says:

skidplate:
    Moulson to Buf 5 x 5

Is Buffalo trying to sabotage their lock on Connor McDavid? Moulson is one of the more underrated players in the league.

61. Logan91 says:

Buffalo is starting to look really good now.

62. skidplate says:

They have several lottery tickets, so I think they still have the best odds.

63. Rondo says:

What are the NYI doing they do not want to be the worst team in the league

64. Marcus Oilerius says:

I see that MacT has subscribed to the “shut up and do something” rather than “talk shit and accomplish little” school of thought, while simultaneously delivering on last year’s bold promises.

I’m really starting to understand why you like the guy, LT, even if some of his decision making worries me. He’s like… The Anti-Dithers.

65. RexLibris says:

Given that Aulie was a Flames castoff, we should hope that he comes in and plays a solid, depth role similar to Andy Sutton.

I’m happy to give him a shot as long as it means that Engelland and Fraser are moot.

Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 2m
    Oilers very clearly need a Centre, were ahead of the game getting other needs met early with free agents. C coming via trade?

How about Jultz for Ryan O’Rielly?

67. Numenius says:

Lewis Grant: Is Buffalo trying to sabotage their lock on Connor McDavid?Moulson is one of the more underrated players in the league.

They don’t want to do an Oilers-style rebuild.

68. skidplate says:

Woodguy:
    Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug2m
    Oilers very clearly need a Centre, were ahead of the game getting other needs met early with free agents.C coming via trade?

How about Jultz for Ryan O’Rielly?

Wet dream. If we could get O’Reilly that would lock up a pretty noice looking lineup

69. spoiler says:

Woodguy: How about Jultz for Ryan O’Rielly?

Would COL do that now that they have lost Stastny? Can’t see it.

70. Gerta Rauss says:

Woodguy: How about Jultz for Ryan O’Rielly?

I had pencilled in Petry for ROR late last night, but sure, Schultz works.

Do you think COL trades ROR now that Stastny signed in St Loo..?

Trade a pick for Boychuk, then trade Petry/Schultz for a C

71. TeeVee says:

LMHF#1:
    Should have been Fedun. Still no clue how they saw him so bad.

There was no way he was going to get his sideburns short enough for MacT.

72. Marcus Oilerius says:

They don’t have a lock on him, certainly not with the new draft rules. Besides, they wouldn’t want to dump him into a hopeless situation like Hall was.

73. skidplate says:

Iggy, COL 3 year deal

74. John Chambers says:

I think Buffalo’s moves will only mitigate a sub-50 pt season.

My guess for bottom-5 next year are:
    Buf – Cgy – Ott – Tor – Nsh

75. Kris11 says:

Aulie over Fedun seems dumb, but mostly unimportant.

With all the signed wingers, IMO there is a possibilty of a big trade involving one of Yak, Eberle, or Perron. I doubt it and hope against it (depending on the return, I suppose), but I could see it happening.

76. Reginald Cooper says:

Why would Iginla go to the Avs?

77. spoiler says:

Iggy is an Av.

78. skidplate says:

Reginald Cooper:
    Why would Iginla go to the Avs?

Greed?

79. Kris11 says:

Iggy is due to fade a bit. 3 years is a long time.

80. KSC10032 says:

Woodguy,

Possible. Insofar as the idea of moving Jultz is concerned, IMO he has more cachet/trade value than Petry (although I agree with those who view Petry as a better overall player).

It may be an issue of how close they feel Klefbom is to filling Jultz’s spot on the roster (?). I’d defer to others here @ the answers to these questions.

81. theres oil in virginia says:

RexLibris:

That’s my feeling as well.

Woodguy:
    Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug2m

How about Jultz for Ryan O’Rielly?

Ryan Johanson is a disgruntled RFA. Is there a match with CBJ?

82. Kris11 says:

I’d rather play Arco with some good wingers and keep all the D you can than lose any D.

The Oilers don’t have a legitimate top pairing, so they need to do D by committee which requires 6 solid D men at all times, even during injuries.

Keep Petry and Schultz.

83. HiddenDarts says:

Reginald Cooper:
    Why would Iginla go to the Avs?

Wow. I hope he’s not thinking he’s gonna win a cup.

Oh, Iggy. You mercenary!

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 37s
    Iginla gets $5.5M, $5.5M and $5M in each of three years with COL.

Dammit! I want COL to get worse.

85. blainer says:

I have always liked this player. Defenceman always take longer to develop. Was not a fan of any of the Marlie signings last year but I do like this depth move. He is a player that can help here or on the farm. We are finally creating competition at every position…. Something that is LONG overdue. Have to say I am much happier today than any of the last few FA years. Keep it goin MacT..

86. striatic says:

HiddenDarts: Wow. I hope he’s not thinking he’s gonna win a cup.

It’s got to be about they pay day, and the chance to play with MacKinnon.

87. Bling says:

Woodguy:
    Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug2m

How about Jultz for Ryan O’Rielly?

88. Reginald Cooper says:

Hemsky to the Stars and Iggy is an AV. Nothing like the goods ones going to the rivals… ugh.

89. skidplate says:

HiddenDarts: Wow. I hope he’s not thinking he’s gonna win a cup.

Oh, Iggy. You mercenary!

Excactly, 3 yrs x 5.333. Seemed like a good fit in Boston, but went for the $$

90. Kris11 says:

TO should be proud that they didn’t offer Bolland 6MM a year.

91. Bling says:

Kris11,

Kris11:

Keep Petry and Schultz.

Not sure Schultz is all that good. If you can land your #2C for just him, I think you jump all over it.

92. spoiler says:

Rishaug tweeted that he thinks the Oil were also trying to get Perreault… might be another FA move for a C yet to come today.

93. John Chambers says:

Good thing Yzerman has all that cap space

94. ASkoreyko says:

Bling: Exactly the type of move they should be trying for. I’d do Klef+Schultz for O’Rielly. There’s no way that Schultz justifies the huge cap hit he’s going to get. Klef will probably be good, but you have Gernat/Musil/Simpson coming, and having Nuge/O’Rielly means that Draisatl can go back to junior for another year.

Why would you give up two of our better young dmen for a player that will be redundant in a few years? Leon should be able to step into that 2nd line C role in 2 years, I don’t really see the need for ROR right now unless we plan on contending in the next two years.

95. John Chambers says:

Also, kills the notion of Boston needing to trade Iginla. Someone can tell Klefbom to rent a nice condo in OKC.

96. Kris11 says:

Tough call on Schultz’ value. He has one and a half seasons of results, all while playing above his head.

97. DBO says:

…to Tampa for 5 yrs @$4 mill . nice signing

I mean Stralman

98. skidplate says:

TBay Stralman 5 yr x 4. good deal!!

99. Logan91 says:

DBO:
    NIskanen to Tampa for 5 yrs @$4 mill . nice signing

And Stralman

100. skidplate says:

Haven’t heard Niskanen yet

skidplate: Excactly, 3 yrs x 5.333. Seemed like a good fit in Boston, but went for the $$

Went for term right before his speed goes from meh to tugboat.

102. spoiler says:

Lightning finally spend some of that space.

103. Kris11 says:

How good is Niskanen. Never looked that good to my eye, but I am an idiot, and haven’t seen him much.

104. TeeVee says:

Woodguy:
    Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug2m

How about Jultz for Ryan O’Rielly?

105. skidplate says:

Woodguy: Went for term right before his speed goes from meh to tugboat.

Yes, I think there will be buyers remorse as early as next week never mind in year 2

106. blainer says:

MacT might be in a holding pattern now and waiting to see how things shake out the rest of today…Expecting another signing for a center or a trade for one. This may not happen today or for a week or so…

107. oliveoilers says:

Well, this is it. MacT has brought in players that are statistically very good. This will make or break Eakins if he told MacT he didn’t have the players last season. No superstars in, but good solid all-round NHLers. Damocles’ sword is swaying in the breeze….

108. spoiler says:

Gord, I wish some owner would give Pierre McGuire a team to wreck. Preferably in our division.

spoiler:

Perreault is another corsi monster.

That would have been a pretty good fit at 2C.

Smaller player, but good.

110. skidplate says:

Tlusty in Carolina RFA just got 2.95 mil one year. Had him in my keeper league last year and he was a bum. Big raise from 1.6

flyfish1168:

Reimer and Scrivens made those Marlie teams. Eakins and his collection of son-in-laws are duds.

Nelson with a defense of Helmer and ECHL guys outplayed Eakins’ Marlies team in the playoffs but Scrivens absolutely stoned the Barons.

I would have prefered Krueger and Ramsey to Eakins and Ramsey, but if Ramsey becomes the defacto head coach, and Eakins is just a press conference prop, the Oilers have a chance.

112. John Chambers says:

Lightning have added Carle, Niskanen, Strahlmam, and Salo as FA’s over the past three offseasons, along with Ohlund and Brewer (kinda) just before.

Aside from Hedman they have not followed a draft and develop model.

113. Bling says:

WG:

Perrault is UFA!?!? Did not know that.

Top 10 EV scoring amongst NHL centres, if memory serves.

Sign the man! I’d even overpay a little — he might be good enough to push Nuge down a slot.

114. Ducey says:

spoiler:

He said today on TSN that he told PIT to sign Hiller during his GM interview.

Disclosing private information from an interview isn’t going to convince anyone he can put a GM job ahead of his ego.

115. spoiler says:

Woodguy: Perreault is another corsi monster.

That would have been a pretty good fit at 2C.

Smaller player, but good.

Has footspeed issues too, and it would be nice to have more history of success, but he had a very nice price point.

116. skidplate says:

John Chambers:

Aside from Hedman they have not followed a draft and develop model.

Niskanen is still available

117. KSC10032 says:

Woodguy,

WG, do you think that Derek Roy has anything left in the tank? As a short-term filler?

I know nothing about him beyond boxcars.

118. Bling says:

MacT should be all over Perrault. Perfect fit, the right age, cap hit won’t be too rich.

119. VanOil says:

Woodguy: Perreault is another corsi monster.

That would have been a pretty good fit at 2C.

Smaller player, but good.

We are now a team of Giants. We can afford small but good. Did he not sign in the Peg?

120. spoiler says:

Bling:
    WG:

Perrault is UFA!?!? Did not know that.

Top 10 EV scoring amongst NHL centres, if memory serves.

Bling:

He signed with the Jets an hour ago or so.

121. spoiler says:

OJokinen and Goc still available. Winnik too.

122. skidplate says:

Stralman 5 x 4.5mil not 4 mil, still a good deal

Bling:
    WG:

Perrault is UFA!?!? Did not know that.

Top 10 EV scoring amongst NHL centres, if memory serves.

WIN got him for $3MM x 3 years.

Oilers should have offered $4MM x 2 in retrospect.

$4MM for everyone!

124. kooler says:

OilClog,

Bigger than before.

Winnick?

125. Bling says:

Woodguy: WIN got him for $3MM x 3 years.

Oilers should have offered $4MM x 2 in retrospect.

$4MM for everyone!

Nuts!

126. skidplate says:

Woodguy: WIN got him for $3MM x 3 years.

Oilers should have offered $4MM x 2 in retrospect.

$4MM for everyone!

Except Fayne, 3.5, looks good

127. Bling says:

Great deal for Winnipeg, IMO.

Wonderful, wonderful signing by them. 3 million is a steal for a guy like that.

KSC10032:
    Woodguy,

WG, do you think that Derek Roy has anything left in the tank?As a short-term filler?

I know nothing about him beyond boxcars.

He’d be ok as a 1 year stop gap, but he’s fading fast.

I prefer others.

129. Bling says:

Not really a fan of what’s left. Let’s trade Schultz.

130. KSC10032 says:

Woodguy,

Any “buried treasures” amongst remaining UFA centres?

131. lacking the apathy says:

Can we please sign Brian Boyle?

132. RexLibris says:

Still so much value left without a dance partner.

Kulemin, Grabovski, Winnik, Moss, Goc, Niskanen, Vrbata…

MacTavish is sitting in a good spot right now.

133. Gerta Rauss says:

Kulemin has played C…..yes…?

134. Rondo says:

Gerta Rauss,

He could really help Yakupov unless they are trading him for a centre

135. VanOil says:

Is this year Grabovski the same as last years Grabovski?

136. finn_fann says:

This isn’t related to Aulie but…

In Pouliot, I think we got an NHL player at an NHL price, and I think we got a helluva contract inked with Fayne. Once the salary is up at 74 million, these two contracts will make up 10% of the cap for a D-man who can handle top pairing minutes and a solid 2/3 line winger.

The term is the only bugger, but it is defensible in that it encompasses prime years for both players, so the risk of falling performance shouldn’t be as significant as, say, a Ference contract.

Solid signings by MacT imo

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 1m
    Grabbo looking for 5x 5M I am hearing

lacking the apathy:
    Can we please sign Brian Boyle?

*vomits on shoes*

139. VanOil says:

Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC · 23s
    Hearing CAL closing in on Deryk Engelland

Make this happen please!

Gerta Rauss:
    Kulemin has played C…..yes…?

141. RexLibris says:

Woodguy:
    Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer1m
    Grabbo looking for 5x 5M I am hearing

The money is fine, but the term.

If I were GM I’d hear that and then move on to Marcel Goc.

142. Gerta Rauss says:

Woodguy:
    Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer1m
    Grabbo looking for 5x 5M I am hearing

That’s a rich deal-I’ve got no problem with the dollars, the term gives me pause

He’ll probably get it…not sure if the Oilers should give him that

143. Kris11 says:

Now we play the waiting game…

….

Oh, I’m tired of this game. Let’s play Hungry Hungry Hippos.

144. Bling says:

Woodguy:
    Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer1m
    Grabbo looking for 5x 5M I am hearing

Don’t like the term. Grabbo is 30 and might start declining soon.

145. RexLibris says:

VanOil:
    Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC·23s
    Hearing CAL closing in on Deryk Engelland

Make this happen please!

Fayne = my cake

Engelland to the Flames = eating it too.

146. spoiler says:

9 minutes ago

@TSNRyanRishaug: Getting the sense Grabovski not a likely possibility for Oilers at this point.

KSC10032:
    Woodguy,

Any “buried treasures” amongst remaining UFA centres?

Not really.

Perrault was the last one.

I wouldn’t mind Legwand for 1 year.

He’s old, but still put up 51pts last year and isn’t a corsi drag.

RexLibris: Fayne = my cake

Engelland to the Flames = eating it too.

Hahahaha!

149. Kris11 says:

I think Grabovski and Kulemin were pretty improbable from the get go.

150. Gino says:

Isn’t it ironic the one team who could use the services of a GRABBO is the Leafs!

151. spoiler says:

35 minutes ago

@TSNRyanRishaug: Feduns deal with San Jose is two way 600/200 if that hasn’t been reported yet.

152. Numenius says:

spoiler:
    9 minutes ago

Good. Oilers need a lower cap hit and shorter term. Someone at 2-3.5 million over 2-3 years.

McGratton, Bollig, Engellend.

Well done Burkie.

I still think Grabbo and Kulimen end up there.

154. Gerta Rauss says:

3 years $2.9 for Engelland..?

Ouch

Gerta Rauss:
    3 years $2.9 for Engelland

Ouch

Per year????

CAL still needs to add about $3MM to get to the cap floor.

156. VanOil says:

RexLibris: Fayne = my cake

Engelland to the Flames = eating it too.

Wash that cake down with Beer. It is Canada day after all!!!

157. Gerta Rauss says:

Woodguy: Per year????

CAL still needs to add about $3MM to get to the cap floor.

Ouch

158. skidplate says:

Gerta Rauss:
    3 years $2.9 for Engelland..?

Ouch

and that is 2.9/yr ouch

159. VanOil says:

In other Canada Day news.

Raonic through earlier today to the next round. Expected opponent Nadal, just knocked out.

Bouchard’s expected opponent Sharapova just knocked out.

The draw is wide open for both of them.

160. DBO says:

John Shannon ‏@JSportsnet 3m
    Engelland gets almost 9 millions dollars over 3 years…told the demand for the tough guy was over the top
    hahahahahahahahahaahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahah

161. Gerta Rauss says:

VanOil:
    In other Canada Day news.

Bouchard’s expected opponent Sharapova just knocked out.

The draw is wide open for both of them.

Yes it is

Kvitova is the only real threat to Bouchard although Kerber is playing nice ball right now

Bouchard can beat any of the 7 ladies left in the draw-there is a nice wager there for Bouchard to win it all if you can get some nice odds

162. Gerta Rauss says:

VanOil,

And that’s a nice win for Raonic and a remarkable opportunity to get to the semis with that Nadal loss

Heady times for this Canadian tennis fan…I’ve followed tennis for 35 years and we’ve never had this kind of success/bright future

163. eidy says:

Gerta Rauss,

I have follow since rusedski was canadian and this is amazing time for canadian tennis.

Raonic and Bouchard could be Canadian male and female athletes of the year. Unbelievable.

Also Engelland hahahahahahahahahah

164. striatic says:

I wonder if Grabbo does 6×2.

165. spoiler says:

Gerta Rauss:
    VanOil,

I wish the asshats at TSN would stop saying they’re the first Canadians to ever reach a Wimbledon quarters. It’s infuriating. Christ a Canadian WON a Wimbledon title just last year.

166. cabbiesmacker says:

I think I know now what Treliving said during his interview that got him hired.

“I’ll guarantee you one of McDavid or Eichel.”

167. DBO says:

striatic:
    I wonder if Grabbo does 6×2.

mentioned same idea to a buddy earlier. even over 3 years so when you need to pay Draisatl he is off the books.

168. skidplate says:

cabbiesmacker:
    I think I know now what Treliving said during his interview that got him hired.

“I’ll guarantee you one of McDavid or Eichel.”

Hiller is going to help them. They have a nice start on their rebuild and don’t forget, they won more games than we did last year. ouch, ouch, ouch

169. Gerta Rauss says:

spoiler,

Danny Nestor doesn’t get near enough respect on the Canadian sports scene

Mary Carillo refers to mixed doubles as the “funny cars” of tennis

None the less, Danny’s built an impressive CV over his career

170. spoiler says:

@strombone1: @eddielack @RyanMiller3039 don’t fall for it….. ITS A TRAP!!!!

Classic.

171. thebiggestmanintheworld says:

In-Perron, Scrivens, Fasth, Hendricks, Nikiktin, Fayne, Pouliot, Aulie

Out-Horcoff, Hemsky, Smid, Dubnyk, Smyth, Gagner, a few picks and some cash.

MacTivity has moulded this roster to his liking in two short seasons.

What a difference from Tamblow.

Sign Petry and Schultz and this is the closest to an NHL roster we’ve had in along time.

Sign Grabbo/Legwand/Goc and I’m doing backflips ( disclaimer- I actually can’t do a backflip, but I will yell and run around waving my arms wildly as a sign of joy instead)

At either rate, the reservations I had about MacT are gone.

Big, skilled possession players? Yes please, can I have another?

Full steam ahead, capt’n!

172. DBO says:

Now a few (many) beers in out here in Newfoundland. I have talked myself into crazy money for a centre. No idea who, but it will still not be as bad as Engelland to Calgary. HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

173. spoiler says:

Gerta Rauss:
    spoiler,

Danny Nestor doesn’t get near enough respect on the Canadian sports scene

Mary Carillo refers to mixed doubles as the “funny cars” of tennis

None the less, Danny’s built an impressive CV over his career

Absolutely.

174. book¡je says:

RexLibris: Fayne = my cake

Engelland to the Flames = eating it too.

awesome

That Engelland deal is incredilble!

176. book¡je says:

That Engelland deal is incredilble!

Sometimes miracles do happen!

177. skidplate says:

That Engelland deal is incredilble!

178. jake70 says:

Gerta Rauss:
    VanOil,

1 Canadian in the Wimbledon quarters in each of the men’s and women’s draws, and no Americans, never thought I would see that.

Dreaming a bit here but MacT needs to find a way to plant a seed in Tavares’ head that he is miserable there, and construct a trade to get him to Edmonton.

179. Marcus Oilerius says:

I love that Spezza and Hemmer got reunited. It has to sting Ottawa that this probably isn’t a coincidence. Spezza went to a team that would spend the money to get Hemsky and already had a decent core. Dallas is kind of scary now, except for their defense.

180. striatic says:

This Calgary presser is great. Reporters really pressing on the ridiculousness of the Engelland signing.

Treliving not exactly hitting it out of the park with his explanations.

181. striatic says:

skidplate: Yes indeed, it appears to be questionable. Sure hope we did not come close to that price. That would be embarrassing.

Unless it was a calculated move to drive up the bidding in an effort to embarrass Calgary!

182. skidplate says:

striatic,

true enough

183. spoiler says:

I wonder if Brad Richards would be willing to do 2X$5M+. I’m expecting him to sign in Buffalo or Ottawa, but if you gave him a big enough number…would he do it?

184. skidplate says:

Dubnyk to Arizona 1 yr 0.8 . good for him

185. spoiler says:

Doobie signs with the Yotes.

That Engelland deal is incredilble!

DE’s Agent: “We have an offer of $3.3MM over 3 years from another team.”

Treliving :”$3.3MM per year is a little rich, how about $2.9″

DE’s Agent: *blinks”

DE’s Agent *picks himself off the floor*

DE’s Agent: “I think we can make those numbers work Brad”

187. DBO says:

So:

Hall-Nuge-Eberle
    Perron-???/Draisatl_Yak
    Pouliot-Draisatl/????-Purcell
    Hendricks-Gordon-???

looking in: Arco, Lander, Gazdic

Nikitin-Fayne
    Marincin-Petry
    Ference-Schultz
    Aulie

Looking in: Klefbom, Nurse

Lots of choices surprisingly. I think term is as important as dollars. a 1 or 3 yr deal is great, allowing Draisatl to be sheltered for a few years. And here’s hoping the great Winnick finally makes an appearance in Oilers silks, thereby having LT go into fits of ecstasy.

188. Marcus Oilerius says:

book¡je: Sometimes miracles do happen!

Taken right out of Dubnyk’s mouth.

189. skidplate says:

Woodguy: DE’s Agent: “We have an offer of$3.3MM over 3 years from another team.”

Treliving :”$3.3MM per year is a little rich, how about $2.9″

DE’s Agent: *blinks”

DE’s Agent *picks himself off the floor*

DE’s Agent: “I think we can make those numbers work Brad”

now that is funny, I can picture it, wiping the dirt off his suit and wiping the tears from his eyes lol

190. Gerta Rauss says:

spoiler:
    I wonder if Brad Richards would be willing to do 2X$5M+.I’m expecting him to sign in Buffalo or Ottawa, but if you gave him a big enough number…would he do it?

That’s pretty much where we’re at now

Sign an NHL 2C for short term, sign Petry, sign Schultz, call it good and head to training camp with a little spending money left in case something else comes up

If MacT has another plan for a 2C(trade) that changes things, but a 1/2 year deal for a Legwand, Richards, Jokinen…an established 2C that fills the gap until the German is ready

I’d be fine with that

191. DBO says:

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 36s
    #Oilers agree to terms with left-winger @lukegazdic on a two-year contract.

CAL is now paying $6.4MM a year for Engelland and Smid.

*sad trombone*

193. skidplate says:

Woodguy:
    CAL is now paying $6.4MM a year for Engelland and Smid.

*sad trombone*

That is a lot of money for a 4th pairing

194. DBO says:

Craig MacTavish ‏@FakeOilersGM 1m
    Calm down nerds. I got Fayne and Pouliot for you #gazdic

ha. awesome

195. DBO says:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 1m
    Brad Richards going to Chicago as per source.

wow. must be low dollars

NHL on TSN ‏@NHLonTSN 30s
    Chicago Blackhawks sign Brad Richards. #TSN #FAF

197. skidplate says:

DBO:
    Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger1m
    Brad Richards going to Chicago as per source.

wow. must be low dollars

Holy, B Richards to Chi, must be a trade available.

198. skidplate says:

1 yr x 2 mil, for B Richards

199. skidplate says:

Love to get Shaw out of Chi, but not bloody likely

200. blainer says:

Stauffer suggesting next years 1st rounder for Berglund. We are a playoff team if that happens. He is that big center we so badly need ..Perron with Berglund and Yak. That gives Yak a chance to get some room…and helps with the vetern prenence…fingers crossed…

Newer Comments »