OILERS SIGN BACHMAN

The Edmonton Oilers finalized their depth chart in goal this morning, signing Richard Bachman to be their AHL starter until Laurent Brossoit can handle the load fulltime. It’s probably a good bet to assume that will take more than a year—Brossoit is a good-not-great prospect, and the AHL is a difficult league.

OILERS PRO DEPTH CHART

LEVEL STARTING GOALIE BACKUP GOALIE
OILERS BEN SCRIVENS VIKTOR FASTH
BARONS RICHARD BACHMAN LAURENT BROSSOIT
BAKERSFIELD TYLER BUNZ FRANS TUOHIMAA
HINTERLAND TY RIMMER

I like the NHL goaltending tandem. Many fans are not happy about the duo, hoping for a starter like Jonas Hiller and Ryan Miller. I invite you to google ‘study of NHL goalies in their mid-30s’ and the graph contained therein. It isn’t pretty.

No words on dollars, he made $225,000 in the AHL and $625,000 in the NHL last season according to capgeek. Bachman was brilliant in his Oilers debut, and may see more playing time in 2014-15 with the big club. Todd Nelson will no doubt be happy with this signing, it gives his team a consistent goalie with experience. I’ll update this post will salary when it’s published.

Bachman is that rare small goalie still in the game. The Charlie Hodge family of goalies shrinks every year.

(photo by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved)

12 Responses to "OILERS SIGN BACHMAN"

1. KSC10032 says:

I’d guess that he got a very similar contract to last year.

The AHL $$$ has to be reasonably equivalent to what he could get in one of the better European leagues (DEL, NLA, etc.) in order to be an incentive to stay here.

Very important I think for a veteran goalie in front of what is going to be (again) a pretty young defense.

3. VanOil says:

Young but very talented. Fedun leaves a big whole though, he was elite at the AHL level last year.

4. Pajamah says:

VanOil,

Sad to see him leave the organization. If it isn’t for that POS 4th line Wild scum, he makes the team as 6-7 defenseman the year he got injured. By now he’s established as an NHL depth defenseman. Hope SJ gives him a shot to make the big club.

5. VanOil says:

If you averaged out Heatly and Cogliano’s skating speed do you get one averaged paced player? Ducks make bizzaro moves sometimes. They are not quite the NYI of the West because they don’t suck all the time but possibly Philly West.

Given there alleged trade history who do you think will be the better player this year for the Ducks Heatly or Cogliano? My money is on the one that can skate.

6. justDOit says:

VanOil,

Heatly for $1M? I’d do that deal. He’s fast enough, and on that team he can play Penner’s old role with Getz/Perry.

7. Bruce McCurdy says:

justDOit:
    VanOil,

Bruce McCurdy: At this point I don’t want Dany Heatley for $1. And I wouldn’t give you eight bits for the horse he rode in on either.

9. regwald says:

Lowetide: Yep. I rarely use this phrase, but Dany Heatley can kiss my lily-white ass. Dunce+money=asshat.

Classic stuff gentlemen. I couldn’t agree more.

10. Bruce McCurdy says:

Lowetide: Dunce+money=asshat.

Great equation. ANALytics at its finest.

11. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bachman is a very good 3G. Happy to have him to keep Nelson in the hunt and mentor the kids a bit.

Look forward to the day we can have an actual prospect in the 3G spot rather than Danis or Bachman types though.

12. j says:

I don’t have any time for Heatley but let’s be honest – he made a good hockey decision to avoid Edmonton. Nobody is calling Spezza a douche because he wouldn’t go to Nashville. I am more embarrassed with the way in which we pursued Heatley, rather than his snub. It is ironic that his game fell off a cliff shortly afterwards but the rest is nonesense. Nylander on the other hand…