OILERS SIGN MARK FAYNE

A solid signing. Fayne ends up with $3.5 million times four years, and that’s a very nice deal.

OILERS PROJECTED DEPTH CHART, WITH FAYNE

LEFT DEFENSE RIGHT DEFENSE
MARTIN MARINCIN JEFF PETRY (RFA)
NIKITA NIKITIN MARK FAYNE
ANDREW FERENCE JUSTIN SCHULTZ
OSCAR KLEFBOM

THE VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER

fayne vollman

Great area of the graph, terrific color. I like the signing, believe this is a fine add and allows the team to move Justin Schultz down the depth chart at even strength. It definitely gives the coach more options.

31 Responses to "OILERS SIGN MARK FAYNE"

1. Reginald Cooper says:

Looks good. Pouliot? I dunno….

$4MM x 5 years for Pouliot.

I like the player, but that is a whole lot of Pouliot.

Too much, too long, but like the player.

3. HiddenDarts says:

5 years for Pouliot?? Straight up insanity. MacT is bipolar!

4. Reginald Cooper says:

We can say for certain that Mac-T is all onboard with puck possession.

5. Wolfie says:

I can’t believe people are down on the Pouliot signing!

This is a guy in the heart of his career who has worked out the kinks. The Oilers finally get a guy someone else spent time developing and are now going to reap the rewards.

Mark Spector ‏@SportsnetSpec 2m
    Fayne ends up with $3.5M/yr for four years. Pouliot, $4M/yr for five years. That’s a quick $34 million spent by Oilers. #SNSigningSeason

That’s a real nice contract for Fayne.

Don’t get why Pouliot cost so much for so long.

7. John Chambers says:

Reginald Cooper,

Pouliot is 27 so we are buying his best years.

Has put up 2nd line offense the last couple years.

Wolfie:
    I can’t believe people are down on the Pouliot signing!

This is a guy in the heart of his career who has worked out the kinks.The Oilers finally get a guy someone else spent time developing and are now going to reap the rewards.

I like the signing.

The chance of Pouliot living up to the contract is low though.

I like the player a lot.

Pouliot’s been a corsi monster.

Looks like MacT is picking players via corsi.

Not a bad way to go.

Better than eyeglow

10. reckless_abandon says:

I’m all about the Fayne signing, but I wonder what it bodes for Petry. There is a lot pointing towards Petry being shipped with a pick for the 1st pairing unicorn.

Actually that $4MM won’t be as bad as soon as next year.

I’m warming up to it.

12. Reginald Cooper says:

I’m warming it to it as well but I think the TSN panel sweet talked me a little by saying the guy finally put in the work the last few years and gets it.

I hope he doesn’t unlearn the work ethic because he got the five year deal.

13. Wolfie says:

Woodguy: I like the signing.

The chance of Pouliot living up to the contract is low though.

I like the player a lot.

$4MM / year and $20MM over 5 years looks scary at first but this guy has finally established himself and the biggest thing is the fact that he has skill and size. He will help insulate Yak and Draisaitl. In a couple years it will be a bargain contract and he will be moveable if need be. Kind of reminds me of the Penner OS years ago.

14. blainer says:

Man we are getting bigger…bring on the kings…lol

15. russ99 says:

With the cap going up, those are pretty solid deals.

The 5 years is steep, but I’m convinced that MacT had to go there to land him.

16. fuzzy muppet says:

Woodguy,

I too am warming to it. But now im REALLY confused about the Nikitin deal

Fayne contract is wonderful

17. Gerta Rauss says:

If the OIlers see Fayne and Petry in a similar light, Petry could be on the way out for a C

Trade for Boychuk

18. fuzzy muppet says:

Stasny to STL.

Berglund for Petry?

19. Gerta Rauss says:

Ehrhoff saying that PITT pursued him early and he wanted to play with Crosby and Malkin

That’s great, but the cynic in me also sees the cap going up next year and Ehrhoff biding his time for a gigantic payday in 12 months-which is fine

20. Acumen says:

I’m ecstatic about the Fayne deal. Less money than I expected for longer term, and exactly the type of player we need back there. And he’s right handed. We have our right side locked down, and can keep it that way for as long as we get the men signed.

Pouliot was initially a ‘WTF is MacT doing?!?!?!??!” moment when I saw the dollars and term. Warming up to it though. As has been said he’s big and can slide around the middle 6, his corgis bark, and the longer term we have him for should be the prime of his career. If he holds up this is probably good value to utilize or move along when the cap crunch sets in in a couple years.

Actual NHL players with size, weight, AND actual skills. We needed them. We got them.

Now, MacT, go get a Center. Or two. I don’t want another Will Acton fiasco.

21. rickithebear says:

Woodguy:
    Pouliot’s been a corsi monster.

Looks like MacT is picking players via corsi.

Not a bad way to go.

Better than eyeglow

Pouliot is a EVGA/60 Monster.
    He averages 13 EVG/ 75 gm season.
    WOWY everyone is better with him.
    112 takeaways 77 give aways +35
    Increadible personal pocession Forward
    last 3.6 seasons

I droooled for this guy last year.

22. rickithebear says:

fuzzy muppet:
    Woodguy,

I too am warming to it.But now im REALLY confused about the Nikitin deal

Fayne contract is wonderful

Nikitin 2nd Comp 1.31 EVGA/60
    Fayne 2nd comp 1.61 EVGA/60

No confusion.
    2 of the best EVGA/60 Dmen in the game for there comp.

23. fuzzy muppet says:

If they can sign Grabbi. They win the off season

24. fuzzy muppet says:

It is clear the oilers have adopted the corgis.

How long until the “experts” complain about the lack of truculence?

25. G Money says:

Wow, love these deals. Concerns over Pouliot contract, but minor – hey, it is silly season.

Gents – this good news goes beyond just the players. This is the hallmark of pro scouting and decision-making that includes analytics, and not just eyeglow and ‘grit’.

Our kids have some veteran size and savvy behind them … FINALLY.

26. hunter1909 says:

Lowetide’s on his way to becoming the Don Corleone of Oiler bloggers, so the Kevin Lowe/Katz brain trust has made him an offer he can’t refuse: A Pouliot back in the lineup.

27. fuzzy muppet says:

Oh tallon. 5.5 dor 5 years dor bolland.

Dreadful

28. skidplate says:

New thread

29. HallDown says:

any complaints about the Pouliot signing are trumped by the Bolland deal. MacT doing some fine work this morning. Lots of $$ left and only 1 big spot needed to fill.

30. VanOil says:

hunter1909:

This is great. Don LT for short?

31. raventalon40 says:

I came here to talk about Mark Fayne but everyone is talking about Benoit Pouliot.

hunter1909: