OILERS SIGN PETRY

1-year, reportedly $3.075 million. Gack! Free agent 2015 summer. Suspect he’ll be dealt between now and deadline, and maybe the dollars were important for the center addition. More to come.

92 Responses to "OILERS SIGN PETRY"

1. striatic says:

3 million! Yay!

1 year! Boo!

2. PunjabiOil says:

I don’t like this at all. He’ll be an unrestricted free agent. If he’s not willing to sign long term, it’s best to trade him and get something in return.

If he is willing to sign long-term, then no reason you can’t work out a long-term agreement.

3. regwald says:

4. serum114 says:

Not sure it spells his inevitable departure.

If he wanted to force their hand, arbitration would have been the move (and he likely would have been able to get more money). My read is that either:

1 – He likes it here, would like to stay long term, but there was a fundamental disagreement on the value of the UFA years between his camp and the Oilers. So, this is essentially a friendly cap hit one year ‘prove it’ deal with an eye on getting a long term deal done between Jan 1 and July 1 2015.

2 – Edmonton doesn’t see him as a long term option but wanted to buy a year for Marincin/Klefbom/Nurse.

Either way, his immediate trade value seems to be lower signed to a one year deal than it was as an RFA and it would seem to indicated he’s at least part of the plan to start the season, which is tremendous. I’m confident he can play well enough to prove himself indispensable, and from now until July 1 next year, the Oilers are in control.

5. striatic says:

Really curious to see where this leaves Schultz. If he can be brought on for a 4m cap hit it would leave a good chunk of space to absorb a significant east coast salary dump without sending much anything back.

6. VanOil says:

Petry is a smart cookie he graduated from university this week and now is set to become a UFA in the Rogers Cap hit UFA bonanza. For all the talk of next years draft being ‘generational’ I think we can guarantee the next year might be the best summer in history to be a UFA. Petry will be a RHD going into this with his worst possible partner this year being Marincin while playing on a much improved defense. Today he won 6/49 next summer he will win Lotto Max.

7. striatic says:

serum114,

There’s also the possibility that he wants out, but doesn’t want to piss off the team in control of his ice time.

TOI he needs to keep up and improve his UFA value.

Sure, he could go to arbitration and get a few hundred thousand more right now, or he can take the cap friendly 3m the Oilers want him to take, keep them happy and get lots of ice time and hit pay dirt with some other team next summer.

8. Racki says:

One again, I’ll say that a one year deal makes it easy for Oilers to eat half his salary in a trade (NOT that I want him gone). About $1.55m for a D like Petry is a steal… Maybe even so much that Boston would send us a certain Edmontonian. Dare to dream, right? That would be one of few scenarios I would be content seeing him traded

9. Truth says:

Racki,

10. nelson88 says:

11. Racki says:

Truth:
    Racki,

A sure to be UFA will command a 5th round pick in trade.No matter how much salary the Oilers eat.Petry locked up long term to a decent contract might get you a somebody.

What if they are trading a pending UFA for a pending UFA though?

12. Eh Team says:

I don’t see where this means that Petry will be gone by the start of next year. I’d expect him to sign with the Oilders sometime during the year for 4x $5m.

That way, the Oilers get a $3m cap hit for this year, and $5m for the rest of the delal. This helps them manage the cap this year. They probably have the parameters of the deal worked out already.

13. Truth says:

Racki,

Fair enough. But if I was the Oilers I’d rather have Petry locked up on the team for a few years AND trade a high (4th, 5th, 6th) round pick to acquire a pending UFA then to have Petry sign this deal and then trade him for a pending UFA. His value dropped substantially in this signing, IMO.

14. 8p0intgame says:

Please Gord,
    Show MacTavish how to trade Schultz for Kulikov.

15. Racki says:

Truth:
    Racki,

Fair enough.But if I was the Oilers I’d rather have Petry locked up on the team for a few years AND trade a high (4th, 5th, 6th) round pick to acquire a pending UFA then to have Petry sign this deal and then trade him for a pending UFA.His value dropped substantially in this signing, IMO.

Oh don’t get me wrong, I would like Petry signed for at least a few years. Just trying to make some sort of sense out of this. I’m not sure it really makes sense, but the crazy scenario I’m suggesting is they eat one year of salary on Petry to trade him for Boychuk and then hopefully he signs here for a few years. But I have always been a big fan of Petry since the Oil drafted him.

16. Hammers says:

regwald: Thought I saw some banter on your blog LT that people said a 1 year deal gives them better cap management to fill out the roster for that center and then they can sign him long term in the next year.If that is the end goal here and not a trade, I like the short term deal. Especially if Schultz has a nice small number.

My guess is he is easier to trade now with a set $ figure . Teams like Boston , Philly , TB, all need to know what there getting & at what cost .

17. Hammers says:

nelson88: Petry, cheap asset + draft pick for the Schenn brothers? I like Petry and think the Schenn’s are overrated (precisely who the old regime would target) but I can see a deal like that making sense to Philly. Gives them an upgrade on D and gets them under the cap while trading from an area of strength.

Good possibility your correct or to Boston for Boychuck / Campbell Both have 1 year left saves Boston nearly $2mill .

18. malinpaul says:

He will be motivated to crush it this year. Speaking of guys who crush it on their own:

I like this article about the difference between how Jeff Carter and Rick Nash are used. Specifically the theory is that Jeff Carter creates on his own regardless of who is on his line. Thus by not having him on the top line, he does his thing against weaker defenders.

I feel like Taylor Hall fits this mold, and I think an argument could be made for playing Hall away from Nuge and Eberle.

19. delooper says:

Hmm, I don’t really see this is a harbinger of a trade. If Petry wanted to be traded, he would have signed for well below what he thought he was worth for a significant term. That’s the most valuable trade asset out there, period. For example, if Crosby was signed for 20 million per year for 8 years, could you imagine many teams trading for him?

20. Melman says:

I’m sure there’s is a plan and I HOPE we don’t find out what it really is until it unfolds. Whether it’s a wait and see as the season goes along and he gets a long term extension (what if Petry improves and Schultz fizzles) or part of a larger move and he’s gone, as much as it would be fun to know, a real measure of change and success will be if Matty isn’t telling the world what they have planned for 2 months before it happens.

21. Jon K says:

I think that we may see some increased backlash against the Nikitin signing if Petry walks at the end of the year or is traded for peanuts. There may be a perception that: 1) his signing drove up the price for Petry and 2) his 4.5 million this year arguably took directly from the funds that could have gone toward Petry signing a long term deal in the area of 4.5 million.

The other alternative is that the Oilers don’t quite believe in Petry and were unwilling to commit long term. I don’t really think that’s it however, given MacT’s verbal earlier in the off-season about being confident Petry would get signed.

22. Henry says:

Eh Team:

That way, the Oilers get a $3m cap hit for this year, and $5m for the rest of the delal.This helps them manage the cap this year.They probably have the parameters of the deal worked out already.

I think you are on the money here. Petry was likely to make more in arbitration considering how the Oilers themselves valued Nikitin. If he was willing to take a one year ‘show me’ contract to UFA, he could have just filed. He still could sign whatever contract until the hearing. This smells like there is an agreement in principal for a subsequent contract that will permit the Oilers to have more cap for this summer. Petry should sign the contract for next year soon so the Oilers can’t back out in case of serious injury.

The other possibility is a sign-and-trade, but why not go to arbitration in that case too?

23. Ducey says:

Truth: Racki, A sure to be UFA will command a 5th round pick in trade. No matter how much salary the Oilers eat. Petry locked up long term to a decent contract might get you a somebody.

Huh?

Most guys traded at the deadline command a pretty good return. A pending UFA righthanded defenseman on a cheap contract will have teams lined up at the deadline. Think DET will be concerned about signing hometown boy to a long term deal? They won’t be.

Mike Weaver returned a 5th last deadline. Petry is better than him. Nick Schultz brought back a 5th. Enough said.

Andrew MacDonald brought back a 2nd and a 3rd and a low level prospect. Petry is better than him so you would have to think this is the minimum they would get for Petry at the deadline.

24. Jon K says:

I wonder if there is a possibility that St. Louis may trade a different forward if they can’t get the return they’d like on Berglund, perhaps Sobotka? They elected to take him to arbitration today.

He’s not big but he’s good on faceoffs, played slightly above average comp in STL, slight tendency to defensive zone starts, and posted a fantastic corsi, even relative to his teammates.

His P/60 is also nothing to sneeze at, 1.79.

25. Pouzar says:

I swear I disagree with damn near everything Soria says. /RANT

26. Melman says:

malinpaul,

That’s an interesting read. I wonder how much of a difference it makes that Carter is a C and Nash is on the wing (like Hall). Based on today’s roster a 1-2-3 of:
    Perron-RNH-Eberle
    Hall-Arco-Yak
    Pouliot-Leon-Purcell

might give Hall softer comp and get Yaks feet moving (+give him some confidence) and puts Leon in a real soft landing spot.

Pouzar:
    I swear I disagree with damn near everything Soria says. /RANT

GOOD!!!! Let me hear it!

28. Bag of Pucks says:

Happy with the deal. Throw JP into the mix now with Fayne, Ference, Nikitin, etc. and see which of the vets rise to the top.

More competition for roster spots. Less guaranteed contracts. If Petry ‘crushes’ it over the first 40GP. pull out the cheque book for the extension. If he doesn’t, you have the flexibility to move him. More of this please MacT. THIS is how you change culture. Gagner should’ve gotten a similar deal the last time around.

The Oilers have been too fearful of losing players in the past. Hopefully this is a sign that fear is ebbing, and they’re getting more confident in their depth. If the Oilers want to contend for the playoffs, they need a great year from Petry and all of their ‘vet’ D. Setting himself up for a big UFA payday should be all the motivation young Jeff needs.

I think Petry is a better player when he uses his size and plays with a little more prejudice. Will be interesting to see if he ups the physical component of his game this season. Possibly that was a talking point with mgmt in negotiations?

Have a couple Canucks fans in the office and they expressed shock at the amount of this contract. These outside perspectives are interesting. Possession numbers show JP as valuable. Not sure the rest of the league sees him in the same context. Much like Hemsky, could be one of those situations, where he moves to a contending team and turns a lot of heads around the league.

29. Bag of Pucks says:

Ducey:
    Another goalie wants out of Vancouver.Markstrom now has asked for a trade.http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-2014-free-agent-trade-rumours-latest-hearsay-leafs-canadiens-canucks-penguins-bruins/

Not sure the Canucks can ‘trade’ a goalie to the KHL?

30. theres oil in virginia says:

Lowetide: GOOD!!!! Let me hear it!

31. hoser313 says:

I’d say the Petry signing is win-win.

He gets a shot at UFA status next year. MacT gets a year to compare Petry against Schultz, Nikitin, Fayne, Ference.

32. TheNemesister says:

I see 2 possible scenarios in play here…
    Either he wants to go ufa next year…
    Or we can’t fit him under the cap on a multi year deal that pays him for his ufa years, this year.
    So their plan MAY be to re-sign him mid season to his ufa years contract, giving him 5mill/yr.
    His rfa year, 3mill + his ufa years, say 5mill = 4.5+ Cap hit, which we can’t currently afford.
    So we get him this year (when we’re tight for cap space) for 3mill, & then when the cap goes up, we pay him his 5mill….
    Genius! Lol (look at me blue sky’n cause I like Petry on this team)

33. Romulus Apotheosis says:

hoser313:
    I’d say the Petry signing is win-win.

He gets a shot at UFA status next year.MacT gets a year to compare Petry against Schultz, Nikitin, Fayne, Ference.

But… he bought that chance to compare Petry at the cost of Petry not having to care what MacT thinks ever again.

34. nelson88 says:

Love Sobotka’s game and he can slide up and down the line-up. If MacT can get him for a reasonable trade and contract I will give the summer an A+.

theres oil in virginia: I may have misheard him, but I thought he said that the Oilers D wasn’t improved?And his reasoning was that it just seems that they are, because they were so bad last year?That makes no sense.They were terrible last year, and they signed three D-men who are improvements over who was playing in those spots last year.They don’t have the top-pairing guy (like Soria noted), but they obviously improved.

36. TheOtherJohn says:

Petry did not maximize his $$ on this contract. He did not seek arbitration that would maximize $$ but Oilers could choose arbitration # on a 2 year term

37. SinceTheWHADays says:

Eh Team,

This makes a tonne of sense to me too, plus it’s the most positive way to look at the deal. I think generally players play there best with one year deals. I remember Slats saying that Jari Kurri played his entire career with one year deals. And I’ve also seen many a good player tank with long term ones, ala Vincent Lecavalier. When there are Millions in the bank, there’s not much motivation to work hard, or improve. Many ways to look at this, but in the long run and short it’s a pretty savvy deal for both sides.

38. Kris11 says:

Until MacT says he wanted to sign Petry for one year, we must be open to the possibility that Petry refused to do anything over one year (unless for super big money and an NTC or something).

That would have been my stance if I was Petry. Next year the cap will be up, Petry will have played on a better team, shown better results (as GM’s see results anyway), and will have tons of bargaining power. Over his career, he’ll earn more by taking a one year now and hitting UFA next year.

39. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: I agree with you. Rob’s point (or what I took as) is the Oilers didn’t get the No. 1 guy we talked about and that is on my to-do list. It wasn’t there. I haven’t seen a major D exchanged this summer.

C’mon Orpik changed hands via UFA!

40. PhrankLee says:

I like the deal and I think Jeff gets a chance to double his salary next year somewhere else.

41. VanOil says:

MacT is betting big on the pipeline with this deal. (Which is essentially Petry for late round picks)

Pipeline progression;

Kelfbom to replace Petry at this years deadline. (It would be better if it was Ferrence but the contracts say it won’t be)

Nurse to replace Nitikin at next years deadline.

Musil v. Simpson fight it out to replace ferrence the following year. (I think Germat is not a MacT favorite)

This plan better work out because replacing Petry before Ferrence and Nitikin (players he is likely better than) is high risk if the kids don’t work out.

42. VanOil says:

Re: Fife N Dekel

I recommended Fife N Dekel to my YEG relatives based on your radio shilling. They have become devotees to there Apple pie and have recommended it to all there friends.

Advertising on your radio show works and I think Fife should give you a free slice of pie.

43. Bag of Pucks says:

The one thing that’s always concerned me about 1 year deals is ‘does it make the player more risk adverse?’

Without longer term, getting injured is now a huge risk for Petry. Will that make him shy away from contact, or does he push that out of his mind, and do everything he can to maximize his value by end of year?

Yes, Petry is setting himself up for a big payday. But that payday is contingent on staying healthy.

44. Pouzar says:

theres oil in virginia: I may have misheard him, but I thought he said that the Oilers D wasn’t improved? And his reasoning was that it just seems that they are, because they were so bad last year? That makes no sense. They were terrible last year, and they signed three D-men who are improvements over who was playing in those spots last year. They don’t have the top-pairing guy (like Soria noted), but they obviously improved.

I’d say that is a pretty decent coles notes version. Made zero sense to me and over the top pessimistic. Fayne is not a top pairing d-man, the Oilers are not better than last year just because, we have the worst goaltending in the division, blah blah blah

45. VanOil says:

I set my Defensive fix base line for MacT at Fayne + Kulikov earlier this summer.

Adding Fayne and Kulikov would have been a ‘B’ grade.

Adding Erhoff and Kulikov would have been an ‘A’ grade.

Adding Fayne and Nitikin I will grade as a ‘C+’ (a good grade in my Educational career)

By only locking up Petry for 1 year I am docking MacT the ‘+’.

Still a ‘C’ is a passing grade and significant improvement for a Defense that has been failing for years.

46. Romulus Apotheosis says:

TheOtherJohn: So why would Petry do that? to become a UFA. If he is a UFA at the end of the season he is not signing here. So:better trade him for the best possible return you can get. Great contract to facilitate that result

I think this deal makes Petry more tradeable, but lowers the return drastically.

Petry isn’t sexy enough on the NHL market to command a big rental fee. Without some contract guarantee going forward, he’ll be dirt cheap at the deadline. MacT will struggle to get full value for the player.

47. Pouzar says:

If he posted that drivel on this site he would get lambasted here.

48. Lloyd B. says:

I’m thinking this one year deal is as much cap management as anything. A multi year deal with varying annual amounts would raise Average Annual Cap value. Or a multi year deal for a much higher cap hit. A little tricky this year.

So sign a one year deal with no UFA years to keep cap lower this year. Sign a new multi year deal before the trade deadline for more $s as the cap goes up next year. Not only a silver fox but a sly one as well !.

49. thejonrmcleod says:

Pouzar,

I agree that Soria rarely makes sense when it comes to hockey.

TheOtherJohn:
    Petry did not maximize his $$ on this contract. He did not seek arbitration that would maximize $$ but Oilers could choose arbitration # on a2 year term

Petry has one year to UFA status. The Oilers CANNOT chose arbitration for two years in this case, only one. A team can only choose a two-year award if the player has two years till UFA. In Petry’s case, the Oilers only choice would have been one.

There was no way Petry was signing a contract with duration for less than 4 x $5 million.

The one year contract for Petry at $3 million is massive Coburn + BSchenn (for Petry and Lander/Pitlick) bait for Philly and Hextall.

51. Pouzar says:

thejonrmcleod: Pouzar, I agree that Soria rarely makes sense when it comes to hockey.

I mean, if I came on here and said that Oilers didn’t improve this offseason I would be beaten into submission. The Fayne signing alone improved the team. How can that be disputed? Every d-man gets moved down a spot. Yeah that really is a lateral move.

Bag of Pucks:

Players can buy insurance against injury impacting future earnings. I’m sure the Petry camp is doing this.

53. Bag of Pucks says:

Pouzar: If he posted that drivel on this site he would get lambasted here.

The wife lambasted me the other night. It’s actually quite pleasant. Not nearly as bad as it sounds.

54. Ice Sage says:

We don’t know Petry’s price for a longer term – 4.5? 5? That carries too much risk and, as mentioned, obstructs the organic D growth progression.
    Like the player but he isn’t going to be stopping Mackinnon anytime soon.

55. Bag of Pucks says:

godot10: Players can buy insurance against injury impacting future earnings.I’m sure the Petry camp is doing this.

Would love to see the actuarial tables for that.

Certainly no fair if Petry pays the same premium cost as Cal Clutterbuck.

56. jb says:

VanOil:

Pipeline progression;

Nurse to replace Nitikin at next years deadline.

That’s pretty much it. Marincin, Klefbom, and Nurse are all going to be full time players, likely in the next year or so. You can still bet a high end D will be added at some point, if the right deal/player is there.

Petry’s a good all around player, but not exactly the kinda guy the team is willing to overpay longterm.

In a year we end up with something like

Marincin- #1-2 guy
    Nikitin-Fayne
    Klefbom-Shultz
    Nurse/Ference

A year later Nurse replaces Nikitin fulltime, while Ference is on the way out.

57. misfit says:

Who knew re-signing Petry to a very respectful cap-hit would cause me such heartache.

If signing him to a one-year deal allowed us to add a player with a big cap number for another year, then why not do it with Schultz? At least you’d still have his rights next offseason. Petry is a huge gamble for such a move because he could walk next year for nothing.

If that WAS the case, these are next year’s UFA centers on teams with cap issues.

Toews – Not going anywhere.
    Krejci – See Toews.

/list.

I’d say it’s safe to assume that isn’t the reason for the one-year contract for Petry.

58. Ducey says:

misfit: . We talk about Tambellini dropping the ball by only signing Gagner to a 2 year deal in 2010 rather than committing to him long term. But this is a much worse signing that allows our best defender to walk at the end of the season. And for what?

The reality is that Petry is not going to sign a long term deal to stay in EDM unless its an overpay. Petry is not the kind of guy you overpay – especially with the hoard of Dmen coming up behind him.

59. Bag of Pucks says:

Ducey: Well, in retrospect, Tambo signing Gagner to a long term deal would have been a mistake.

But Ducey, he’s the BEST defenceman on the Oilers!

Which is a bit like saying Mike Derks is the best songwriter in Gwar.

60. Kris11 says:

If the Oilers had the option of getting one or teo of his UFA years at 4.5MM, they should. have done it. I would guess they would have done it, but Petry has faith that he can command a bigger desl, especially when the cap goes up.

61. Lois Lowe says:

62. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lois Lowe:

I’m guessing for a friendly game in the middle of summer with people you barely know… things like “coverage issues” will take a back seat regardless.

So, I’d like to hear about foot speed, first step quickness, edge work and skills (passing, shot, etc.)

I’d like to hear about Betker specifically.

63. striatic says:

Lois Lowe,

I really want to know what Yakimov’s footspeed is like compared to the other guys. Then more generally interested in who is fast versus who is not fast.

64. Younger Oil says:

Lois Lowe:

I’d like to see how Yakimov compares to Draisaitl in potential “NHL readiness” if that makes sense!

Also curious about how McCarron is doing, Simpson as well.

Thanks for your willingness to take notes and give us updates!

65. Shau-co says:

I don’t mind this short term deal. Now its on Petry to prove his worth this year which is never a bad motivator. Plus, I agree it makes him more tradable with the lower cap-hit as others have mentioned.

My guess is MacTivity finds a way to add Lecavelier and Coburn within a few weeks. I could see the Oilers offering Lecavalier a chance to regain his play and maybe he can be a mentor for the other first overall picks if he has actually learned a few things about how quickly things can fade or drop off.

66. delooper says:

Lois Lowe:

Eyeglow/60 for the Koelner Hai guy.

67. Marcus Oilerius says:

Younger Oil,

I’d guess Yakimov and Draisaitl are both equally unready for the NHL, but for different reasons. Yakimov hasn’t seen the small ice and the physicality of the North American game. He’s tall, but lanky. Draisaitl, meanwhile, hasn’t played against men. He’s been able to bully smaller players in the WHL with his size. The average defenceman in the NHL is as big as he is and as fast as some of the smaller guys in junior. That’s sure to be a big adjustment.

One year of the AHL for both, IMO. Draisaitl’s early birthday means, I think, that perhaps he could play in the AHL next season.

68. Racki says:

Marcus Oilerius,

Draisaitl would be AHL eligible as of the 2015-16 season since he’s only 19 as of the end of this year.

69. Ducey says:

I

Lois Lowe: Glad to have Petry under contract for the season at least. One less thing to worry about, one more thing to argue about all season.I also have tickets for tonight’s Blue v White game at Orientation camp. Tell me things that you’d like me to watch for.

I’d like to know your impression of MO R. Despite LT’s campaigning on his behalf, he is still underappreciated.

70. Lloyd B. says:

misfit,

maybe they do it with both to leave room for 2C. I suspect MacTavish is playing chess and is three moves ahead of us.

71. RexLibris says:

Lois Lowe,

If there was something I’d look for, it would be how Yakimov, Khaira and Draisaitl skate, specifically their edges.

Recall how Nugent-Hopkins was considered to be an average skater and Serdachny said he didn’t care, just look at the kid’s edges. I’m not especially worried about their straight forward speed so much as their ability to maneuver and turn within a tight space. That is a skill that likely plays a big part in separating big players from big players with skill.

72. denny33 says:

Lois Lowe,

************************************************************
    If you have time, # 79 Dillon Simpson – see what his footspeed is like…

73. RexLibris says:

Bryan Murray diagnosed with cancer.

Jeez, life is really kicking him when he’s down right now (Spezza trade).

Really hope he can pull through this.

74. Truth says:

75. denny33 says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

*******************************************************************************
    Agreed….I find it odd that our best defenceman will be a UFA in 12 months – meanwhile we have Andrew Ference locked up for nearly half a decade.

One step forward ( Fayne ) , one step backward ( Petry 1 year deal ?

76. Hammers says:

Simple . Who shows a mean streak .

77. Hammers says:

Truth: I hope that there is some sort of agreement between Petry and MacT where they use the entire season up to the week before the trade deadline to assess Petry’s value. If Petry meets the mark MacT signs him to an extension worth a predetermined amount. If he falls below the mark he still signs but for a different predetermined amount. I realize this is most likely just fantasyland type stuff.The way to build a contender is to constantly improve the value of your existing assets and to attempt to acquire assets increasing in value for assets decreasing in value. This signing immediately decreased the value of Petry as an asset. Not as much as Petry at 1 yr for $6M, but I would be willing to bet 4 years @ $4.4/yr would make him a very valuable commodity in 2 years from now.

Why would Petry do that . McT had an agreement with Gags not to trade him ???? McT makes Petry & maybe Perron the center of a big trade maybe even LT’s 3 for 1 .

78. PLUGGER says:

>CONGRATULATIONS JEFF! You will soon be an ex-Oiler and I am relatively certain that was the plan all along.
    The trade value for Petry is what it is and you can be certain that any team trading for him will talk to his agents and get commitments moving forward. Think $5MM is the starting point and likely 5 YRS minimum.
    Put yourself in Petry’s skates! All the fancy stas say he is the OILERS best defenceman and yet Ference,Nikitin,Fayne and soon Schultz will be earning more! For all those people who have been saying “It’s Katz’s money, WHO CARES?” Well now all the overpriced deals like Ference, Gordon,
    Hendricks, Nikitin Etc come home to roost. This was a 28th place team last years and with the improveemnts made we should expect to return to the lofty 24th place and have cap troubles?
    T
    T he first item on the off -season list was a centre and we get ?????
    WooHoo!!!

79. barry.moore23 says:

Now I’m worried that our top guys are going to look good practicing against our ‘non-top’ guys and then get slammed against real NHL players.

I think we should go back to the copper and midnite blue.

Damn this OCD ……..

80. Jordan says:

Jeff Petry interview just finished on Gregor’s show. Things I noted in the discussion:

– Jeff was really careful to emphasize that both sides thought the 1 year deal was best. Team wants him to prove he’s worth more, and he wants more to commit for longer. Sounds like there may be room for an extension. May have been a slip, but there was talk about a decision being made in Jan/Feb – probably a situation where he may be traded at that time, or extended (huge surprise).

– Jeff has heard a lot of good (read: positive) feedback about Ramsay. Sounds like he’s looking forwards to working with him

– Eakins put a big emphasis on Jeff conditioning over the summer. Doesn’t sound like he’s a big fitness buff – the big change to help him train over the summer in more long bikerides (stationary bike). I can’t stand biking for 30 mins, let alone 2 hours – that would suck.

– Finished his degree with a major in criminal law? this summer. First in his family to do so – very proud to have completed that. Love those players with big brains.

81. srisribillyg says:

Lots of great opinions and perspective here re: will he stay or will he go?, but this being a mathy blog and all I was wondering if anyone had any data about what percentage of pending UFAs have chosen to re-sign/sign elsewhere?

I skim capgeek from time to time but wouldn’t know where to look for this information. Slicing it by salary might be useful too, as the choices that fringe NHLers make (e.g. tweeners, enforcers, etc). probably aren’t material. I think it is clear that individual situations differ greatly (relationship with coaches and management; likelihood of winning a Stanley Cup; coming off of injury; cap situation of current team, etc. etc. etc.) but overall the data should show us something?

Right?

My gut says that just under 1 in 3 players in Petry’s situation end of re-signing, so I’ll be expecting a “Sail on, Mighty Buccaneer” post sometime between now and the trade deadline.

82. Factotum Pochemuchka says:

Because I wonder about way too many things…

In his 26-year-old season as a Detroit Tiger, Dan Petry was paid $875,000.
    He played in the all-star game that year and was 10th in the AL in ERA.

83. justDOit says:

Factotum Pochemuchka,

I wonder what’s worth more (adjusted for inflation) – Dad’s 1984 $875k salary, or Jeff’s 2014 $3M?

84. B S says:

Jordan:
    Jeff Petry interview just finished on Gregor’s show.Things I noted in the discussion:

– Eakins put a big emphasis on Jeff conditioning over the summer.Doesn’t sound like he’s a big fitness buff – the big change to help him train over the summer in more long bikerides (stationary bike).I can’t stand biking for 30 mins, let alone 2 hours – that would suck.

I know I’m not the first to express concern about how Eakins is “conditioning” his players (I think it was DMW who expressed it best, as usual), but Petry won’t be playing 2 hrs a night normally, so why try to build up red muscle fibers (slow twitch), when white fibers (fast twitch) are what he will be using all the time on his 40 *second* shifts? I’m no fitness coach, but it seems like it would be more productive to have players pedal like hell for 2 minutes, slow down substantially to a relaxed pace for a few minutes, then repeat totalling about an hour? The added advantage being that white muscle increases in mass more relative to red muscle so he would be bulkier as well.

Stamina may not be everything it’s cracked up to be in a game of 40s shifts and lightning speed, especially if you can’t keep up.

*edited for clarity

85. Factotum Pochemuchka says:

According to the US Government’s “CPI Inflation Calculator”,
    $875,000 in 1985 had the same buying power as $1,934,595.72 in 2014. (US dollars, of course.)

86. justDOit says:

I wonder how many lines of code it takes to write a CPI Inflation Calculator…?

87. Ducey says:

If you were wondering why Ollie Jokinen signed a yr $2.5 million deal with NASH, wonder no more. The Preds announced today that Mike Fisher ruptured his Achilles tendon and will be out 6 months. He had surgery July 3.

Ollie is likely counting on the bulk of the 1st line and PP minutes to boost his #’s.

88. meanashell11 says:

justDOit:
    I wonder how many lines of code it takes to write a CPI Inflation Calculator…?

89. AZOIL says:

Isn’t Petry American? I bet he wants to be closer to home at some point and cash in on next years Rogers Cap. My wife is American and she thinks Canada is a third world country, ignorant as it may be, I am pretty sure she thinks we are all hillbillies up there! Seems like he see’s the D that is bubbling under him and wants to get a pay raise maybe on a team of his choice next summer, can’t blame him. I would see Detroit and him being a perfect match!

90. B S says:

AZOIL,

If he seriously thinks there are nicer places to live in the US (not saying he does, just an if) then he deserves to live in Detroit.