OPENING NIGHT 2014-15!

I’m well into my RE series estimates these days (you’ll see them roll out beginning next week, still thinking about the artist) but thought it might be fun to discuss what I’m thinking and see if anyone agrees.

1. How many rookies will we see? Three.  Draisaitl, Pitlick and the Finn, Iiro Pakarinen.
  2. No Klefbom? No Klefbom.
  3. Why? Oilers hired Aulie and he’s a big guy. Klefbom is a better player, but they’ll scuff about with Aulie for awhile.
  4. WHY? Marlie.
  5. Oh. Are they better? Think so. I have them scoring more goals this season, and you’ll just have to see about the goaltending.
  6. How much does Draisaitl play? I have him playing a lot, not 82 games but he gets his chances.
  7. Will he get Calder consideration? No, he won’t play enough.
  8. What about Arco? I think he gets squeezed more than you’d like, especially as the season wears on.
  9. What about Yak? Think of it as a transitional season.
  10. Who emerges? Well, Hall has a fine year, Nuge is healthy and has the look of 2011-12, and Pouliot rocks it.
  11. Does Pouliot play center? No. I’ll leave that for the experts.
  12. Who is the MVP? Craig Ramsay.
  13. No pressure, huh? None.
  14. Are the Oilers are playoff team? No. But they’re better, I swear.

OILERS 2014-15 PROJECTED

NIKITA NIKITIN MARK FAYNE
ANDREW FERENCE JUSTIN SCHULTZ
KEITH AULIE

GOAL
  BEN SCRIVENS
  VIKTOR FASTH

119 Responses to "OPENING NIGHT 2014-15!"

1. bendelson says:

#9 is a problem given the C situation IMHO. Once again I think they head into the season without a clue what to do with Yak. Is he top 6? Third line? Fourth line dumping ground? Which rookie C will be leading him out of the woods and towards a 30G campaign? Is he a PP specialist this year?

Ug. I fear a repeat performance of last year except this year Igor doesn’t play so nice.
    I hope I am way wrong.

2. Yak2 says:

IF they get that 2C, they’re a playoff team, no doubt.

3. Numenius says:

That’s a reasonable stab at a lineup. I hadn’t thought of Pakarinen, but he could very well be an option there.

For my lineup, I’d switch Arco and Draisaitl.

Arco didn’t have good chem with Yak last year and I’d wager Drai will. It’s true that means two defensive liabilities on one line, but I’m guessing the difference in chemistry and keeping the 3rd as an extra soft minutes line compared with the 2nd (a 2nd line with Arco can take harder minutes than a 2nd line with Drai) would diminish that.

4. TheOtherJohn says:

No top pairing D again.

No 2C again. Realise its really tough to find top centres but can MacT maybe phone Jim Nill and pick his brain for ideas. Trading for 2 centres in 1 year. Wow. Oh, to be bold

Have three 3-4 D, have four # 5 to 7 D . Thats a gain of a 2nd pairing guy

Nice add of Fayne and Pouliot. Well done!! Expect next summer we will be saying that a lot.

If we keep adding 2 decent players a season we will only be 4 years until we will have a good team. Course by then our good young players may ask their way out of here

Other than the above concerns I think we’ll be marginallly better than last year. Think Nuge having an off season to work out will really help out his game.

Do not want to see Nurse or Dreisatl here other than for 9 games each at the beginning of the year

If Pitlick and Pakarinen play 35+ games this year we are going to regress……..and we only have 2 spots to drop

My assumptions above are predicated on one of the two goaltenders playing like a true #1 G. If they both prove that as a #1…… they are a good backup — Its going to be a very very long year. Both goalies had nice runs last year and some not so nice runs. Here’s hoping 1 of them proves he is a starter and I do not care which one it is.

5. Ducey says:

How many rookies will we see? Three. Draisaitl, Pitlick and the Finn, Iiro Pakarinen.

Nope. Leon for 9, then sent down.

Pitlick and the Finn will get farmed. Arco and Lander will make the team along with a #3C, not yet acquired.

Why? Oilers hired Aulie and he’s a big guy. Klefbom is a better player, but they’ll scuff about with Aulie for awhile. WHY? Marlie.

Why do you say things like this? It has nothing to do with him being a Marlie and you know it. Maybe you are just joking?

Sending Klefbom down is the right call. Don’t bitch about it. If they “scuff around” with Aulie as a 6th or 7th D for 3 months, Klefbom might just be ready. Would you rather they keep Klefbom around on opening night as the 6th or 7th D or have him playing prime minutes and developing on the farm?

If you would rather have someone else in the top 7, then its as choice between that person and Aulie. Klefbom has nothing to do with it.

Jeepers.

6. Henry says:

I think Nurse will be here for 9 games. Do games count on his 9 game limit if he is in the press box watching NHL play? It would be best to spot him in over a month.

7. Henry says:

Honestly, that lineup doesn’t look like a bad team. Not exactly a good one, but not bad. Plenty of mid career guys. Hall, Eberle, Perron, Purcell, Pouliot, Gordon, Lander?, Petry, Nikitin, Fayne, Aulie, Fasth, Scrivins. The top end talent has room to grow.

8. Ducey says:

Yak2: IF they get that 2C, they’re a playoff team, no doubt.

Who are they going to beat out? Maybe they sneak in if they were out East but out West:

CHI, ANA, DAL, SJS, LA, STL, MIN, That’s pretty much 7 that are given.

The Oilers would have to beat COL. COL had 112 pts last year. The Oilers had 67. That’s 23 wins difference. The Corgis say COL was lucky, but the Corgi’s pissed all over the Oilers too..

I hope you are right, but “no doubt” seems a little bit over optimistic. I think if they make it to 10th in the West they will have done well.

9. speeds says:

The interesting thing to me is the argument to sign Aulie to push Klefbom back arguably applies just as well for an additional C and Draisaitl, since moving Draisaitl back retains a year of service that EDM does not retain with Klefbom.

Not to mention that there wouldn’t be anything stopping EDM from just moving either Loktionov or Draisaitl to the wing, in the case Draisaitl plays well enough that he forces EDM’s hand to keep him.

I guess if they have plans for guys like Pitlick, Lander, and Arcobello, signing someone else means that one of those guys would likely have to be waived? Particularly if they are contemplating running with 13F/8D to start the year to give Nurse a 9 game look?

10. Ryan says:

bendelson,

Last season I predicted that Yak would go Stamkos…

This season, well the expectations for our #1 ov in his draft + 3 season are much lower.

I’m more hoping that get isn’t a draft bust. Go Yakupov!

11. "Steve Smith" says:

What about Arco? I think he gets squeezed more than you’d like…

By who? All of the other, better NHL centres on the roster?

In an earlier post, you talked about giving Arcobello a chance. Arcobello is guaranteed a chance. If he plays absolutely terribly, if he’s a complete catastrophe, then he might only get twelve or thirteen minutes per night.

The playing time is there for the taking and, if he doesn’t take it, the playing time is there for the getting anyway, because who the hell else do we have?

12. "Steve Smith" says:

Ducey: Nope.Leon for 9, then sent down.

In favour of who? All of the other, better NHL centres on the roster?

(I see that, unlike LT, you have the Oilers picking up another centre, which makes your position on this subject somewhat less absurd than his. But I still don’t see how you have the Oilers sending down their shiny, shiny new toy in an area of incredible weakness. Plus, even if the Oilers were to make the decision purely on merit, do we have any reason to believe that Draisaitl is not, currently, one of the best four centres in the system? He shouldn’t be, of course, because he almost certainly is not ready for the NHL; I just think that he probably is anyway.)

“Steve Smith”:
    What about Arco? I think he gets squeezed more than you’d like…

By who?All of the other, better NHL centres on the roster?

In an earlier post, you talked about giving Arcobello a chance.Arcobello is guaranteed a chance.If he plays absolutely terribly, if he’s a complete catastrophe, then he might only get twelve or thirteen minutes per night.

I think Arco gets squeezed by two things:

1. Draisaitl’s minutes at even strength
    2. Boyd Gordon’s presence as the de facto 3line C

Arcobello is going to spend much of the season dancing between 2 and 4 lines, and I think he’s better than that.

14. book¡je says:

“Steve Smith”: In favour of who?All of the other, better NHL centres on the roster?

(I see that, unlike LT, you have the Oilers picking up another centre, which makes your position on this subject somewhat less absurd than his.But I still don’t see how you have the Oilers sending down their shiny, shiny new toy in an area of incredible weakness.Plus, even if the Oilers were to make the decision purely on merit, do we have any reason to believe that Draisaitl is not, currently, one of the best four centres in the system?He shouldn’t be, of course, because he almost certainly is not ready for the NHL; I just think that he probably is anyway.)

I don’t think ‘Steve Smith’ means what you think it means.

15. "Steve Smith" says:

book¡je: I don’t think ‘Steve Smith’ means what you think it means.

What does it mean, then? All of the other, better NHL centres on the roster?

16. G Money says:

Yak2:
    IF they get that 2C, they’re a playoff team, no doubt.

Not a chance. Way too many things have to go right for that to happen.

At a bare minimum, to be a playoff team:

- One of Scrivens or Fasth *must* step up and become a true #1. A great goalie can mask a terrible team all the way to the playoffs, just ask Toronto and Colorado.

- RNH must become a true #1 centre. Yak must become a true #1 RW. This team’s very DNA is now predicated on “success because three #1 picks in the lineup”. We must have three #1 picks playing like #1 picks.

- Either MacT finds another 2C, or Arco steps up and plays the entire season like he did when Gagner was out.

- Marincin must prove to be the real deal. Fayne must prove to be the real deal. Nikitin must actually just be entering his prime as a D. That at least gives us the ability to ice six legit NHL D, even if no #1 D.

- Pouliot must prove a better fit for this team than an aging Smyth. Purcell must find better chemistry with his new teammates than Hemsky did.

That’s a lot of things to go right. If they all do, then yeah, this is a playoff team.

I don’t think they all do. Maybe most of them will come true, and then it’s at least a dogfight with some meaningful games late in the season.

If most of them don’t come true, especially the first point … like Drake said, “Started from the bottom now we here …” – still at the bottom.

17. nycoil says:

I, too, see this year being much better than last. I was skeptical all along about the Oilers last year. The blue was just a mess and the goaltending too suspect.

The C depth is horrible, but there should be enough, experienced 2-way wingers to make things a little more respectable than last year. I’d say somewhere around 10th in the West.

I think the top line will score 80 goals (30-20-30)
    I think the 2nd line as you have constructed it will score 55 goals. (25-15-15)
    The 3rd line you have above will score 45 goals (15-10-20)
    The 4th line plus spares will score 20 goals (5-7-5 / 3-2)

200 from the forwards

25 from the defensemen.

225 total, which would have been neck and neck with Winnipeg for 7th in the West last year.
    I see the goals against improving from 270 to ~ 230 with the much better blue line, goaltending, and defensive forwards.

If Ramsay can fix the power play, I am thinking the Oilers’ goal differential this year is going to be somewhere within sniffing distance of even.

18. G Money says:

We must have three #1 picks playing like #1 picks.

DANG! Just thought of the perfect line I should have used: “Otherwise, we’re just a one pick pony.”

G Money:
    We must have three #1 picks playing like #1 picks.

DANG!Just thought of the perfect line I should have used:“Otherwise, we’re just a one pick pony.”

Thwack! It’s a long fly ball….

20. "Steve Smith" says:

G Money,

We all have our bears to cross.

(It does remind me of a Paul Simon album, though…Parts of Phones.)

21. RexLibris says:

7. Will Draisaitl get Calder consideration? No, he’s an Oiler.

Yeah, that is how I read this line.

22. book¡je says:

“Steve Smith”: What does it mean, then?All of the other, better NHL centres on the roster?

You’ve just been very focused in hockey analysis lately. I miss the sarcasm.

23. "Steve Smith" says:

book¡je,

I don’t think that “analysis” means what you think “Steve Smith” means.

24. RexLibris says:

Also, I think Aulie has some potential.

The Oilers are bringing in a young D whom other organizations have thought had enough promise to explore. He is big, but he only has 136 NHL games on his resume. He may never become a Randy Gregg or Jeff Beukeboom, but he could become an Andy Sutton bottom pairing shutdown guy who can give a coach 10 to 15 quiet minutes a night on the blueline.

If all he does this season is play well enough in 50-odd games to buy another AHL season for Klefbom then he has served his purpose. Ideally, he could become the big bottom pairing guy who earns a regular roster spot for another year or two.

Frankly, by preventing the return of Fraser, I’m already pleased with his addition.

His EP profile is here http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=12561, and the fact that he had so reasonable a +/- on the awful Leafs is something.

His ES player profile is no screaming heck, but I think there is a useful player here. http://www.extraskater.com/player/515/keith-aulie#usage

25. leadfarmer says:

Pink Floyd, Pink Floyd. OOOH Please Pink Floyd.

26. "Steve Smith" says:

leadfarmer:
    Pink Floyd, Pink Floyd.OOOH Please Pink Floyd.

I actually think that every second year should be Neil Young. On the downside, by about 2065 you’d be running low on material (assuming that he’s not still releasing new stuff at that point, which actually isn’t all that safe an assumption).

“Steve Smith”: I actually think that every second year should be Neil Young.On the downside, by about 2065 you’d be running low on material (assuming that he’s not still releasing new stuff at that point, which actually isn’t all that safe an assumption).

I have listened to Loose Change 4,000 times since the last Neil Young RE, and the entire Zuma album possibly 200 times. I spent many months listening to pretty much only Neil Young.

28. lance says:

I read the opening line and planned on pitching Little Feat, I think you’ve used their material before, but then changed my theoretical request to Paul Simon. It’s sufficiently blue to reflect the moment in oiler history but not Bob Dylan whack. Bet Eakins would get the title track to BOTW and with Comrie gone I hope no one gets Cecilia.

I think this team picks tenth nex year.

29. Undisclosed_Personal_Reasons says:

Oh please, please let it be Dr. Dre.

(sung to opening of “Next Episode”)
    La-da-da-da-dahh
    It’s the mothaf#ckin’ H-A-double-L
    La-da-da-da-dahh
    You know I’m mobbin’ with the Drai-sat-al

30. Numenius says:

Wait.

LT, where’s Gazdic?

31. nycoil says:

Total OT:
    Man, was just picturing Hemsky in a Stars jersey. Ugh. Why did it have to be Dallas? Hate that team.

32. Bruce McCurdy says:

Numenius:
    Wait.

LT, where’s Gazdic?

Opening Night? He’s on IR.

33. Zangetsu says:

Tom Petty. Yak seems like a refugee. Hendricks strikes me as Free Fallin.

34. rickithebear says:

Hall (6) 43G 87A 130P 1st comp 57.9% ZS
    Kane (9) 52G 72A 124P
    Toews (12) 51G 65A 116P
    Eberle (25) 44G 58A 102P 1st/2nd comp 55.8%
    Sharp (32) 40G 58A 98P
    Hossa (48) 47G 44A 91P
    B. richards (60) 31G 54A 85P
    Perron (65) 38G 44A 82P 1st comp 49.8%
    RNH (69) 23G 57A 80P 1st comp 59.0% 1.6 seasons of non injured say 91P (48)
    Purcell (74) 23G 55A 78P 1st comp 56.2%
    Hendricks 10G 5A 15P 3rd comp 26.8%
    Regin 4G 7A 11P
    Gazdic 4G 4A 8P
    Nordstrom

35. "Steve Smith" says:

Zangetsu:
    Tom Petty. Yak seems like a refugee. Hendricks strikes me as Free Fallin.

If you won’t do Neil again, Petty’s got my vote too. Or Paul Simon.

36. Frank The Dog says:

nycoil:
    Total OT:

I wonder if Hemsky would have still wanted out, had next seasons coaching team been in place last year?

Or did we just need to move him anyway?

37. HiddenDarts says:

God NO to Petty! Arggh! Let’s get some education here! I’m talking Deep Purple, Allman Brothers Band. Sly & The Family Stone. Incredible String Band. Fairport Convention.

ANYTHING BUT PETTY.

Loved the recent Van Morrison series. It exposed me to a lot of things. A Tom Petty series would only expose me to nausea.

38. "Steve Smith" says:

HiddenDarts,

You’re saying that you don’t want to be the girl who’s devoured by ants?

39. Rondo says:

OT: Stuart Scott honored with the Jimmy V award.

Excellent speech

40. Lois Lowe says:

I’m throwing in my vote for Leonard Cohen. Not quite rock, but one hell of a singer/songwriter.

41. Hammers says:

LT on the 12th you had Joensuu on your list and today its Pakirinen . I know you like Finns but we don’t know anything about Pak and maybe they both start in Okl . Perhaps Joensuu starts like last year but no injuries this time . Maybe we should tell McT to get a Finn for 2nd line “C” . Trying to be funny but why do you think Pak can make the 14 . I would be interested to know .

42. Numenius says:

Bruce McCurdy: Opening Night? He’s on IR.

Oh yeah, that’s right. Thanks.

Okay:

Allmans
    Doors
    Johnny Cash
    Paul Simon
    The Who
    Eric Clapton
    Tom Petty
    Tom Waits
    John Prine
    Warren Zevon
    Leonard Cohen

Anyone else?

Hammers:

I don’t know Pak at all, but his scouting report sounds interesting

45. Hammers says:

Lowetide: I don’t know Pak at all, but his scouting report sounds interestingA large winger shooting from his right. An energetic player with good skating and a nice frame. Possesses a good sharp, wrist shot and is a solid finisher. A hard worker and versatile player who can also play as a defenceman.

Never heard the bit about playing “D” . As for hard working I think all the Finns are that way . Thanks as I hadn’t seen anything on him and like you I do believe we need a Finn in the line up .

46. Bruce McCurdy says:

Okay:

Allmans
    Doors
    Johnny Cash
    Paul Simon
    The Who
    Eric Clapton
    Tom Petty
    Tom Waits
    John Prine
    Warren Zevon
    Leonard Cohen

Anyone else?

Any women make the grade or is this above the glass ceiling?

47. nycoil says:

John Prine
    Warren Zevon
    Leonard Cohen

Anyone else?

Some nice choices above

Perhaps also:

Crosby, Stills and Nash (can add and Young if you want to bring him back into the fold)
    Foghat
    Velvet Underground/Lou Reed
    CCR

48. VanOil says:

Out of that list Tom Waits and John Prine jump out at me as fitting for my expectations for the season.

Nina Simone might set the mood even better.

49. Bar_Qu says:

Bruce McCurdy,

I second Bruce’s thought. Linda Ronstadt was recently inducted into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, she might be a good choice.

Stevie Nicks might work too.

But I don’t want to overstep my musical knowledge (too late)

50. 719 says:

I dream of J. Staal

Bruce McCurdy: Any women make the grade or is this above the glass ceiling?

Sure. Open to suggestions, love female artists. Emmylou Harris, Joni Mitchell, has to be someone with lots and lots of tracks.

52. nycoil says:

Joni taking it too far?

Yak = “Trouble Child” They open and close you
    Then they talk like they know you
    They don’t know you
    They’re friends and they’re foes too

Eakins = “Shadows and Light”, etc.

Hall = “The Only Joy in Town” –OK, that was satire taken too far.

53. geowal says:

Aulie is fine as a 7th defenseman, rotating occasionally for short term injuries and crappiness. This is not a position for Klefbom. If he plays it is for cups of coffee or long term injuries (or if Nikitin is awful, which seems possible). I don’t see how he wouldn’t get at least some games though, who in Okc would be a callup above him?

54. JamesL says:

Gonna definitely add my humble vote for Paul Simon — so many amazing songs to choose from. I might also suggest Elvis Costello and Nick Lowe. I would shoot for the fences and throw Big Star at you, but A) I’m not sure that’s your bag; B) they really only had three proper albums.

Come to think of it, of tragic ’70s bands, Badfinger might not be a bad choice, too…

nycoil:
    Joni taking it too far?

Yak = “Trouble Child” They open and close you
    Then they talk like they know you
    They don’t know you
    They’re friends and they’re foes too

Eakins = “Shadows and Light”, etc.

Hall = “The Only Joy in Town” –OK, that was satire taken too far.

Perron-In France They Kiss on Main Street

Tom Petty
    Tom Waits
    John Prine
    Warren Zevon
    Leonard Cohen

Anyone else?

Please allow me to cast a vote for the Eagles. Or have they been done already?

Heart would be a decent choice if we’re looking for fewer Y chromosomes.

57. edoil1 says:

Hey Lowetide,how about some some old Jackson Browne,surely can relate to the Oilers,The Pretender,the Deluge,Running on Empty and for those of us that fought though it,Doctor my eyes. recently departed J.J Cale, Bob Marley are also stellar.

58. bendelson says:

I will once again vote for VU/Lou Reed (tip of the cap to NYCOIL). Matching that song list to the Oiler players would be one hell of an adventure…

But nobody wants to be a one pick pony, so I’ll also put in a vote for the Allmans (no offence Bruce).

59. nycoil says:

I like it. By the way, ice hockey, the Oilers and the place they’ve had in my life (and probably in most people’s here) = “Case of You”

60. Gerta Rauss says:

Joni is a nice fit

Big fan of Floyd and the Who as well

I like the Doors but not sure if there is enough material there..?

I’ll throw Bruce Cockburn’s name into the mix

61. book¡je says:

“Steve Smith”:
    book¡je,

I don’t think that “analysis” means what you think “Steve Smith” means.

There it is :)

62. edoil1 says:

bendelson,

If you haven’t heard it , the guitar intro on” Sweet Jane” the Lou Reed Rock and Roll Animal album is fantastic as is the album ,you tube it.

63. 8p0intgame says:

I sincerely hope the Oilers can find a way to increase Yakupov’s value if he has grown sideburns. The 2012 1st overall pick was a valuable asset and I will be irate if the Oilers waste it on mid round picks in the 2016 entry draft. If Yakupov must be moved, I hope MacT can make another Perron-type trade: Yakupov and a 2nd for a nice thing. The player on my personal wish list is Bjugstad. However, he’s been playing 1C minutes in Florida so I doubt Yakupov and a 2nd gets the deal done. But maybe, just maybe, a future top line of Barkov-Huberdeau-Yakupov would be too good for the Panthers to pass on…

64. "Steve Smith" says:

book¡je: There it is

On that note, what about Tag Team?

65. book¡je says:

Okay:

Allmans
    Doors
    Johnny Cash
    Paul Simon
    The Who
    Eric Clapton
    Tom Petty
    Tom Waits
    John Prine
    Warren Zevon
    Leonard Cohen

Anyone else?

I like all of those and lean towards the Who with songs like “Wont Get Fooled Again”, “Pinball Wizard” and “Baba O’Riley” ready made for this team- Baba O’Riley for Driasaitle

With that said, I know it’s off the board for you, but with the passing of Tommy Ramone – the last Ramone – the Ramones would be my choice – Perhaps the best song titles of the bunch as well “Now I wanna sniff some glue” and “I don’t wanna go down to the basement” come to mind.

66. Ribs says:

2. No Klefbom? No Klefbom.
    4. WHY? Marlie.

WHY? Klefbom is not that good…yet.

Are they better? I sure as hell hope so. Last season was abysmal. But does more goals = better?

Who is the MVP? Craig Ramsay.

Is this how low the bar is right now? Sad…

Are the Oilers are playoff team? No. But they’re better, I swear.

Oh man, I hope so. Last year was a killer for me. This rebuild has been as slow as Andy Sutton without the surprisingly effective glacial slide.

67. bendelson says:

Tarkus:

Heart would be a decent choice if we’re looking for fewer Y chromosomes.

The Heart suggestion is ridiculous…
    It’s the Oilers – No heart.

68. "Steve Smith" says:

bendelson: The Heart suggestion is ridiculous…
    It’s the Oilers – No heart.

69. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I see LT doesn’t have much time for the Floyd suggestion. Fair enough.

If a lady, let me suggest Nina Simone or Dinah Washington.

70. "Steve Smith" says:

Romulus Apotheosis: both have deep, great catalogs… with a wide variety of affects (happy, sad, angry, etc.)

I see what you did there.

(You used “affect” as a noun. Correctly.)

I’m fine with Floyd. Simone is so fucking cool it’s incredible. Dinah Washington too, fabulous. Millie Jackson would get me arrested.

72. Shafty19 says:

TheOtherJohn:

-Scrivens
    -Fasth
    -Fayne
    -Nikitin
    -Purcell
    -Pouliot
    -Nurse
    -Draisaitl

Gotta be more than 2 good players in there. True, one required flushing Gagner and two were high picks, but even without those three there are still 5 solid adds in one year.

Nothing “bold,” but MacT is making progress.

73. jp says:

RexLibris:
    Also, I think Aulie has some potential.

Yikes. I hadn’t looked at Aulie’s possession stats before. I did have some hope for him like you, but my God those numbers are awful. Far worse than Fraser’s actually. His only clear skill appears to be “big”. Maybe this is the year he figures it out, and he is only being counted on to play a depth role, but I don’t see a lot of hope for Aulie in his play to this point…

Also, I’ve never thought of Sutton delivering “quiet” minutes.

74. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“Steve Smith”: I see what you did there.

(You used “affect” as a noun.Correctly.)

I read enough moral philosophy that that is the primary usage of “affect” I am familiar with.

75. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Stauffer night thoughts for the twitterless

Bob Stauffer @Bob_Stauffer · 2m
    #7 I would not trade J. Schultz for a #2 C like say O Reilly. Oilers finished 29th in D scoring last season. Patience!

Bob Stauffer @Bob_Stauffer · 12m
    #6 the player I get asked about the most around the League is David Perron. Not surprising as he is the Oilers 2nd most competitive player

Bob Stauffer @Bob_Stauffer · 15m
    …competitive battle between Victor Fasth and Ben Scrivens which should help the Oil get off to a better start than last season

Bob Stauffer @Bob_Stauffer · 17m
    #5. The Goaltending situation is not “fixed”. It would be fixed in Henrik Lundqvist was an Oiler. Nonetheless I fully expect a highly…

Bob Stauffer @Bob_Stauffer · 20m
    …season…but now they really have to take the next step…but the Oilers also need to ensure farm team is about developing players…

Bob Stauffer @Bob_Stauffer · 23m
    #4 2010 2nd round picks Tyler Pitlick and Curtis Hamilton fought injuries and a deep depth chart in first 2 pro years…progressed last….

Bob Stauffer @Bob_Stauffer · 27m
    …the Oilers have to make sure Khaira Centers 1 of the top 2 lines in OKC and gets a lot of minutes right from the get go as a Pro…

Bob Stauffer @Bob_Stauffer · 29m
    …#3 Jujhar Khaira has a legit shot to be Oilers #3 C by 2016. His #’s weren’t great in Everett but he played for Kevin Constantine…

Bob Stauffer @Bob_Stauffer · 31m
    …#2 The biggest addition long-term will be Leon Draisaitl. Under-stated personality will compliment Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yak and Schultz…

Bob Stauffer @Bob_Stauffer · 33m
    Some late night Oilers thoughts for U.
    #1. The biggest off-season addition in the short term will be Craig Ramsay…good add for Eakins…

We’ve talked about the OKC thing at length, and we discussed it at the time. They weren’t getting any playing time (I think Nelson said 7-8 minutes a night). HOWEVER, they weren’t forcing the issue either, so for me to blame the coach on this (or the development) kind of excuses the player.

77. bendelson says:

“Steve Smith”: Get back to me when Eye Glow has its first top 40 hit, you fucking piece of shit.

The life of a repo man is always intense.

78. islandoil says:

Willie is my Oiler music.
    We need Petry, good skater, physical enough, will improve decision making with time and Better coaching (Ramsey). Hope his contract is renewed.
    Like Arco’s hustle as 2C he will be fine, but we still need an ace in the hole, and Lander is not it, so MacT has some more work to do.
    Scrivens puck handling is questionable game in and game out so hope Fasth is a capable #1

79. Old School G says:

This completely cracked me up. “Steve Smith”, you are a funny man!

I vote for Joni Mitchell, she blindsides me every time.

80. PerryK says:

nycoil:
    Joni taking it too far?

Yak = “Trouble Child” They open and close you
    Then they talk like they know you
    They don’t know you
    They’re friends and they’re foes too

Eakins = “Shadows and Light”, etc.

Hall = “The Only Joy in Town” –OK, that was satire taken too far.

Gotta have Joni!

81. prairieschooner says:

How about

Abba
    Rod Stewart
    The Eurythmics
    or Tom Jones

82. v4ance says:

Hey LT,

With Chicago getting squeezed by the cap, what do you think of Versteeg as a 2 year stopgap?

83. malinpaul says:

Why does everybody insist on labeling Schultz as a 3rd pairing guy. We knew he is going to play 25 min a game.

84. Henry says:

If we anticipate a good season, I think the Who would be a fine choice for the RE series.

If it is going to be more of the same, Elvis Costello is the guy.

I’d be very interested to see how LT would fit Frank Zappa with the Oilers though. Or the Clash.

85. Henry says:

v4ance,

Style is too close to POS.

86. spoiler says:

Hmmm… Is Bright Eyes close enough?

Then we could go with songs like “We Are Nowhere and It’s Now”… “At the Bottom of Everything”… “Don’t Know When But a Day is Gonna Come”… and… “Let’s Not Shit Ourselves”.

Seems perfect for Oilers 2014.

87. spoiler says:

I actually find the whole song thing silly. I tried spoofing it last time but to no avail. It’s like sharing the mix tape you made for your girlfriend with the whole wide world. And music, especially popular music, is so much a matter of individual taste.

I never click on the youtube embeds. The notion of reading words while someone sings completely different words seems inherently schizophrenic and self-defeating.

But it’s not my blog and I’m merely hitchhiking along for the ride, so I’ll keep my grubby little fingers off that radio dial.

88. Lois Lowe says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Stauffer night thoughts for the twitterless

Bob Stauffer @Bob_Stauffer·23m

This is assinine. Deep depth chart?

89. RT26 says:

Given MacT’s interest in acquiring talent in their 20′s and fitting in with the nucleus of the team, I would:

> Trade a 2nd round pick or Musil to Chicago for Marcus Kruger ($1.3M)
    > Put Kruger on the 4th line with Hendricks and Lander
    > For next year, place Gordon as the 2C tough minutes center with Perron and Purcell.
    > Let Arco center the soft minutes line with Pouliot and Yakupov.
    > Send Leon back to the AHL for seasoning.

90. book¡je says:

spoiler:
    I actually find the whole song thing silly.I tried spoofing it last time but to no avail. It’s like sharing the mix tape you made for your girlfriend with the whole wide world.And music, especially popular music, is so much a matter of individual taste.

I never click on the youtube embeds.The notion of reading words while someone sings completely different words seems inherently schizophrenic and self-defeating.

Thanks for sharing.

91. B S says:

Rocky Thompson new “eye in the sky” assistant coach for the Oilers

92. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis: “affect”

I’ve always wanted to write a book titled “The Seven Habits of Highly Affective People”.

93. HiddenDarts says:

Sounds like we’ve got a sweet consensus for Joni Mitchell. Classic!

Go LT!

94. Hammers says:

There are some good “D” out there in the trade market with 1 year left before becoming UFA’s . All are on teams over or close to the cap . Boychuck & Oduya being 2 and either Coburn or L.Schenn from Philly with 2 years . Does it pay to add 1 of these players and my feeling is yes . McT seems to be handling his “D” by committee . Maybe except that Leon is here and add 1 more “D” . Any 1 of those 4 makes for a very competitive fight for playing time on defense .

Joni Mitchell it is, then. When I lived in Maidstone as a kid, I used to deliver the Star Phoenix to the house she lived in when she lived there. Makes me well qualified.

96. spoiler says:

book¡je: Thanks for sharing.

Ditto.

97. spoiler says:

HiddenDarts:
    Sounds like we’ve got a sweet consensus for Joni Mitchell. Classic!

Go LT!

It’s nice to see the word consensus used here correctly for a change. Rather than as a substitute for what is really an average.

98. spoiler says:

B S:
    Rocky Thompson new “eye in the sky” assistant coach for the Oilers

Rocky Top?

99. Ivan says:

I’m in for Johnny Cash.
    “Ain’t no Grave”- Oilers 2014-15
    “I walk the Line” – Perron
    ” Five feet high and Rising” Arcobello
    “I’d just be fool enough to Fall” Marincin
    “Loading Coal” Boyd Gordon

The posts write themselves.

100. elgruntus says:

Damn, too late to suggest Steve Earle!

101. TheOtherJohn says:

Shafty19: I don’t want to be the annual naive Oilers optimist – I’ve been burned before – but to his credit, MacT’s adds in the past 365 days (and change):

-Scrivens
    -Fasth
    -Fayne
    -Nikitin
    -Purcell
    -Pouliot
    -Nurse
    -Draisaitl

Nothing “bold,” but MacT is making progress.

The 2 good adds last year were Perron and Gordon.. ….mostly dreck SIGNED beyond that last summer.Expect next summer Fayne and Pouliot slot into the good player category.
    Nikitan was a #6 D man in CLB who may be a player. Or he may be a #6 D man. Signed at $4.5m for 2 years.If he’s the later we are paying Ference and Nikitan are being paid $7.75m to play on a 3rd pairing. Purcell is/was a big soft winger that was a salary dump from TB.

Scrivens and Fasth are career backups who each may be able to be NHL #1 goalies. Neither has been to date. Scrivens March & April numbers eirily similiar to Dubnyk November & December #’s.

Adding 1st roound draft picks is not some great acumen by the GM. Each team gets one and, generally, you have to F**k up royally to screw up a 6OV and a 3OV . Delighted to say Nurse and Draistal dont look like screwups. That does not make MacT into Sam Pollock

102. Bruce McCurdy says:

TheOtherJohn: Bruce think many suggest Schultz on 3rd pairing because he bleeds chances in his own zone and you can try to minimize that. Yandle played that exact role in Phx for a number of years. 3rd pairing pairing and top PP minutes. Good player .

Huh, what?

103. Bruce McCurdy says:

RT26: > Trade a 2nd round pick or Musil to Chicago for Marcus Kruger ($1.3M)

The chances of Chicago trading Marcus Kruger are about as close to zero as you can get. With a $1.325 MM cap hit and a HUGE role in their defensive structure he is a big part of the solution of their cap woes, not part of the problem. What a bargain.

104. TheOtherJohn says:

Bruce

I think Schultz is less than adept defensively. I think that is borne out by his perfomance in games. Dave Tippett had a similiar problem with Yandle in Phx and for the first 3 years Tippett played him 12-14 minutes 5 x 5 and gave him top PP minutes. Do not think that has been the case over the last 3 years

Just because youu want a player to be a top pairing guy does not mean you throw him in the deep end and say—- go ahead. Well, unless you have a 33 yr old Chris Pronger to pair him with. Alas we had N Schultz

Agree on Marcus Kruger — great value

105. doritogrande says:

Damn. I was too late for my suggestion of Santana.

106. Bruce McCurdy says:

TheOtherJohn:
    Bruce

I think Schultz is less than adept defensively. I think that is borne out by his perfomance in games. Dave Tippett had a similiar problem with Yandle in Phx and for the first 3 years Tippett played him 12-14minutes 5 x 5 and gave him top PP minutes. Do not think that has been the case over thelast 3 years

Agree on Marcus Kruger — great value

Not disagreeing with your point necessarily, just reacting to my name at the front of it. (“Bruce think many suggest Schultz on 3rd pairing…”)

107. Bruce McCurdy says:

To elaborate on the actual topic, my thinking re: Schultz on 3rd pairing concerns QualTeam. Usually 3rd pairing guys wind up playing with plugs & slugs which would serve to neutralize Schultz’s plusses while not necessarily sheltering his negatives. Mind you there are counterexamples like Yandle or Leddy which might serve as models (or would if Oilers actually had depth in the top 4). Two years in, Schultz has been a big minute-muncher from the get-go and it seems unlikely that will change.

108. hunter1909 says:

The most important thing is no one dares mention Dallas Eakins being a 100% incompetent hire by the relatively stupid MacT.

And as the oilers have a fool as head coach, someone who more or less was little more than a personal ‘hunch” from the arguably out of reality general manager…

It can be argued, without a hell of a lot of effort, that this team is Royally fucked.

Anything else?

109. TheOtherJohn says:

my mistake…… wrongly attributed an above comment to you.
    D
    Someone said he’s a 25 TOI D man why do people say he’s 3rd pairing? He is an 18 TOI D man being played 25 TOI

110. Bruce McCurdy says:

hunter1909:

111. OilClog says:

Ramsay isn’t the MVP.

He could be a great add, but Chance is and always will be the MVP until he’s wearing a different jersey. He’s in a completely different realm, he’s truly a Star. This team will go as Hall goes, MacT is making moves to make this happen. Watching Pouliot in the playoffs, Would never think he’d come to Edmonton, his highlights in a Wild jersey against the Oilers are horrible yet amazing to watch knowing he’s finally on the copper and blue side about it.

Oilers are missing a 2C and have an abundance of skilled wingers now, I think they believe the solution is within. Cause really, any of the wingers can do what Gagner did, poor dot skills, no back checking, some offense.

Dr. Drai may have a monster year, look at all the wingers he may be playing with at any point.. Ridiculous.

Hall/Ebs Perron/Yak Pouliot/Percell. That’s insanity.

Bruce McCurdy: “No one dares”? You should visit the comments section of Cult of Hockey. Slamming Eakins is daily fare, regardless of the actual topic of the post.

I was first. And I was right. I called the wretched season when almost everyone else was hopeful. MacT subsequently confirmed the total disfunctionality in the room at the start of the season.

“Toonces” Eakins is still in charge. The question is “how” and “when”, not “if”.

113. russ99 says:

I still think against the better Western Conference teams it would be smarter to go:

Hall – RNH – Ebs
    Pouliot – Gordon – Purcell
    Perron – Draisaitl – Yak
    Hendricks – Arcobello – Gazdic

But it’s doubtful, since “Toonces” (LOL!) would never go for a lineup like that, makes too much sense.

114. Bruce McCurdy says:

godot10: I was first.And I was right.I called the wretched season when almost everyone else was hopeful.MacT subsequently confirmed the total disfunctionality in the room at the start of the season.

PS: I thought “Toonces” was Tambellini?

115. kb says:

russ99:

Hall – RNH – Ebs
    Pouliot – Gordon – Purcell
    Perron – Draisaitl – Yak
    Hendricks – Arcobello – Gazdic

But it’s doubtful, since “Toonces”(LOL!) would never go for a lineup like that, makes too much sense.

What woudl happen if, Perron – Draisaitl – Yak lost the puck in the O-zone, or god forbid iced the puck… oh boy.

Depth wise, it would be nice to let Arco/Lander/Drai fight it out for 1 position, but really all we need is one of them to step up and another capable of soft minutes (which I’d hope they all could?)

Hall – RNH – Yak
    Pouliot –Drai – Ebs
    Perron – Lander – Purcell
    Hendricks – Gordon – Arco

I think Yak has to be able to play top line for us to have a hope at 3 balanced scoing lines.

116. Maggie the Monkey says:

I was going to suggest Dolly Parton but only a fool would object to Joni. Bonnie Raitt would have been fun, too.

Bruce McCurdy: All hail godot10, the smartest person not only in the room but in all of the Oilogosphere!! I bow at your feet, o wise one!!

PS: I thought “Toonces” was Tambellini?

I knew the only satisfaction that I was going to get from last season was predicting the foreseeable calamity.

This season depends on whether Eakins and Acton are going to be willing to just be figureheads, and let Ramsey overhaul everything Eakins said was fixed in stone for this season after the mini-training camp after the Olympic break. After all, Eakins said he has put the systems they were going to play this season into implementation at the end of last season, and that nothing was going to change.

That everyone was going to go into training camp knowing the systems they were going to play.

118. lance says:

I didn’t know we could pick Tom Waits. I want a do over on my vote cause I didn’t know.

Really I have a question instead. Based on the comments I think the proposal regards a reasonable expectation series but I don’t know for sure because I didn’t read the blog. If this is about a forward looking series, then I think Tom Waits makes great sense. Joni to me is contemplative and reflective. Waits delivers ragged uncharted and priodically unstructured deployment of forces previously unbeknownst even likely to him.

I don’t know the future for the 2014-15 Edmonton Oilers, but I’d hazard a bet that history will show this season’s tale to be significantly closer to Tom Waits than Joni Mitchell.

119. mumbai max says:

I vote for Tom Waits, followed by Joni. Perhaps a duet?