PANIC CENTER

Bill Torrey is a really smart guy. He made one of the truly unusual trades in the game’s history while building the New York Islanders. The 1973-74 Islanders won 19 games and lost 41 despite the presence of Denis Potvin, Billy Smith, Billy Harris and a few good veterans like Eddie Westfall. At the draft that summer, NHL teams could draft one underage player (because of WHA raids) but it had to be in the first two rounds. Torrey selected Clark Gillies at No. 4 that year, and then at No. 22 (in the second round) he grabbed 18-year old Bryan Trottier. I loved those picks because they were WHL kids, and although I didn’t know they would end up being HOFers it was pretty clear the Islanders did a nice job drafting.

Torrey didn’t stop there. I’ve never quite figured out why people forget about this, but NYI made a trade in September that weakened their current blue line and improved the center position immediately. On September 10, 1974 the Islanders traded defenseman Larry Hornung (who was a successful WHA player for the Winnipeg Jets at that time) and a player to be named later to Kansas City Scouts (a new entry to the league) for recent draftee Bob Bourne. A week later, defender Bart Crashley was sent to the Scouts to complete the trade (Crashley would play  half a season with the Scouts).

Torrey (and Al Arbour, the coach) kept Gillies and Bourne with the big club (they were 20) and sent young Trottier back to junior for seasoning. The club won 33 games in 1974-75, added Trottier to the band for the fall of 1975 and that group were natural-born killers for a decade. Imagine. Two centers in the same draft, and they traded two NHL calibre defensemen to get it done. Bill Torrey did a lot of things people remember, but that trade is one that doesn’t get mentioned (but should).

IHOCKEY-JUNIOR-SWE-RUS

We’ve been focused on the NHL situation at center this summer, but it’s interesting to look at what Craig Mactavish has been able to accomplish in two summers and two drafts. Here are the centers added to the system since his arrival as GM spring 2013:

• Bogdan Yakimov No. 83 overall 2013
  • Kyle Platzer No. 96 overall 2013
  • Greg Chase No. 188 overall 2013
  • Leon Draisaitl No. 3 overall 2014
  • Tyler Vesel No. 153 overall 2014

It is of little help this fall, because these kids aren’t ready (for the most part). A year from today, Leon Draisaitl will have one year in the NHL, Bogdan Yakimov will have a year in the AHL (and maybe a cup of coffee in the show) and we’ll probably be talking about Greg Chase and the latest first-round selection. This is NOT sexy, it’s dreary and slow and after all these years feels like same old same old.

I think there’s some real steel in these moves, these kids are good bets. A year from now these centers will be pushing up from the bottom. If you’re MacTavish, are you tempted by a Brandon Sutter coming available, or more likely to go with Mark Arcobello for a season? I think Torrey would choose Arcobello over something rash. There is no use at all in trading away your future for a short term gain, not at this point in the process.

We wait.

53 Responses to "PANIC CENTER"

1. John Chambers says:

So Derick Brassard now makes $5M a season. Okay. Interesting to see how that deal looks in December with no Pouliot on his wing and no Boyle to master the defensive zone.

It’s contracts like this that make me think trading Petry at some point wouldn’t be a bad idea. Teams are so desperate to avoid having their players go to UFA that they pay UFA money to secure them.

2. Mr DeBakey says:

But
    Santorelli at $1.6mm for one year wouldn’t have done any harm.
    Or, two even.

3. TheOtherJohn says:

Would not surprise me if the centre’s you listed as MacT finding in the last 2 drafts play 800 games in the show. Seriously. That will be pretty impressive!
    Course 794 of those games will be played by Draisatl alone with Rom touting him as the best centre in Oiler history notwithstanding 99 & 11

Thought the Panic Center headline referred to the Oilers have spent near to the cap, have no top pairing D, no 2C and our best D man is a UFA in 11 months

4. Mr DeBakey says:

TheOtherJohn: Thought the Panic Center headline referred to the Oilers have spent near to the cap,

Mr DeBakey: According to Capgeek, the Oilers have $8,782,500 free with two players to sign/add.

6. blainer says:

Really don’t wish to trade Perron for Sutter. Let’s see what shakes out after camp. I have a feeling we may see Yak2 quicker than we think. Players sometimes surprise and Yak and Khaira could be the next Saad or O’ Reilly.. come to camp and win a spot. It happens that players are ready quicker than we expect.. It IS rare but does happen. Not sure what we can afford to trade that can get us Sutter without opening another hole.

7. One-Timer says:

For the time being the oil remain pretty sketchy down the middle, and at times this year we may want to avert our eyes.

But if…

If even one of those later picks at C becomes a reliable bottom-6 pivot – I mean a real NHLer – then we could wake up two years down the road with real strength at C. Gotta hang on to Gordon, though. Leon’ll be great.

By then all of those WC monsters from the 2003 draft will be hitting the back nine, and then hey, who knows?

If this “fingers crossed” method of MacT’s works out, he’ll look like a genius.

blainer:
    Really don’t wish to trade Perron for Sutter. Let’s see what shakes out after camp.I have a feeling we may see Yak2 quicker than we think. Players sometimes surprise and Yak and Khaira could be the next Saad or O’ Reilly.. come to camp and win a spot. It happens that players are ready quicker than we expect.. It IS rarebut does happen. Not sure what we can afford to trade that can get us Sutter without opening another hole.

Perron for Sutter? Hadn’t heard that, but not a good trade.

9. TheOtherJohn says:

When they sign Schultz they will have less than 10% from the ceiling. If they play Draisatl in the NHL they will leave us with 5% from the cap ceiling.

With a 28th place team.

Or maybe we just roll with Nuge, Arco, Gordon and Lander as our 4 centre’s with Acton as a spare 5th C. That would be kinda funny because LAK has the deepest & most expensive centre’s (4 guys–$21m) in the league. Different priorities to spend your money I guess

TheOtherJohn:

With a 28th place team.

Or maybe we just roll with Nuge, Arco, Gordon and Lander as our 4 centre’s with Acton as a spare 5th C. That would be kinda funny because LAK has the deepest &most expensive centre’s (4 guys–$21m)in the league. Different priorities to spend your money I guess

The current center situation is not good. I don’t believe adding Sutter improves it a great deal, certainly not enough to trade Perron.

11. Yak2 says:

Apparently Brandon Sutter is available. A right-handed shooting C. I’d jump all over him. The caveat? He only wants a 1-yr contract.

12. jeetz says:

I bet we get Shultz for 17 mil over 4 years(4.25 per). I still believe whoever we get as #2 center only has to last 2 years then can be either flushed or becomes our #3. Draisaitl and Yak at #3 no pressure. Our #2C can’t be that hard to fill

13. Wild Bill Hunter says:

I’m not averse to trading Perron (or any player for that matter) if the the return is sufficient. There is no way of looking at a Perron for Sutter trade as a deal which makes the Oilers better in the long term nor in the short term for that matter. Sutter would be a fine third center, but giving up an asset like Perron for a good third line center would just be foolish.

With Draisaitl now in the fold, the Oilers could only be improved by acquiring a solid 2nd line center (probably from a team with cap issues) in exchange for a couple of players and who are down the pecking order who are easily replaced by players already in the system. That would work for a year while Draisaitl matures.

If that can’t be done I would prefer to see what Arcobello can do for an entire season between two legitimate scoring wingers. I think that is the direction the team is headed and it makes sense. Arcobello showed some surprising skills when he was given a chance early in the season, why not give him a full season as the number 2/3 center? If he bombs, we go looking for a #3 center to play behind Draisaitl next season. If he succeeds we will have three offensive pivots to build around. I think there might be a little Davey Keon in Mark Arcobello and I would like to see him given the opportunity to show what he is made of.

14. bigbadbruin24 says:

Perron for Sutter does not make sense.

Depending on the dollar value of an offer sheet Sutter would sign for you would be looking at either a second round pick or a First and Third round pick.

If he is asking for First and Third money as the Oilers you should not be interested.

If he would be willing to sign for a second round pick compensation value, the Oilers may want to approach the Pens with this and perhaps throw in a minor prospect not in their future plans as a show of good faith in actually NOT sending out the offer sheet.

So does a second and say Brad Hunt for Sutter do it for both sides?

15. bigbadbruin24 says:

Oh and LT, for goodness sakes stop jinxing Leon with the Steve Kelly reminder on the photo. That is what Photoshop is for, lol.

I still remember the crowd chanting for Doan when the Oilers were about to make their pick back in 1995.

16. stevezie says:

What if- and this is a big what if- Sutter didn’t cost much to acquire and could be signed relatively cheap?
    Sutter, or someone like him, doesn’t have to be a long-term solution. If all he does is allow the Oilers to leave Leon in jrs for a year we can flip him next summer and look back at his year here as useful.

It all depends on the contract and ask, of course. I thought he showed a lot of promise in Carolina, but he’s clearly disappointed in Pittsburgh.

17. flyfish1168 says:

JMHO. I do believe Arco/Lander combo will be better than people think they will be. Barring injuries I believe they can succeed. They are one year older and both on 1 year contracts, They know they have to succeed now. To bring in someone will kill and take away the competition for the position and show know faith in our own farm system. JMHO

18. flyfish1168 says:

stevezie:

19. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

I’ll admit I’m new to advanced stats, and still trying to figure some of it out.

I’d like to know what kind of trouble the Oilers would be in if Gordon went down for even 20 games due to injury?

If I’m MacTavish I’d think it wise to look at all trade possibilities to add strength up the middle, if the Oilers have had conversations with Peron’s agent about an extension and got little back then I would think its responsible to seek out a trade while value is still high on Peron.

Wes Mantooth-11:

I’d like to know what kind oftrouble the Oilers would be in if Gordon went down for even 20 games due to injury?

21. blainer says:

Correct me if I am wrong but don’t we have to be concerned with Yak’s bonus’s as well as LD’s if he makes the team. I do believe those bonus’s carry over to next year and if so management has to be careful. If Yak has a breakout year he will be due his six million next as well as the carry over of bonus’s this year. Even with the cap rising it’ll still be tight. I do think if this is the case that is why Shultz’s contract talks are going so slow.

22. steveb12344 says:

Wes Mantooth-11:

Remember when Perron said this…

David Perron @DP_57 · Apr 16

I wanna live this with the Oilers! Best Anthem I’ve ever heard! Unreal! #2006cupfinals http://youtu.be/meLpuF9UMvk

I don’t think he’s opposed to sticking around for a while.

23. RexLibris says:

The difficulty the Oilers are having is that their depth C prospects, the ones that often take four or five years to develop, are the newest kids on the block, while the wunderkinds have been around almost the longest.

Ideally everything comes together at the right time.

Gagner ought to have been the lynchpin for the whole thing, buying time at 2C while Draisaitl learned the ropes, and then traded near top-dollar for some new shiny pieces.

Instead….well, we’ve seen that movie and know how it ends.

Compare where the…oy….Flames are in their 2nd year of rebuilding. Backlund is the real deal, drafted in 2007 after Gagner. And Plante. And Nash. Stajan wears the sacrificial cow hide and Monahan gets the easy matchups while they can take their time with Bennett.

Now, they’ve got a whole lot of nothing developing on the backend, so that is likely where they are going to struggle immensely because many blueliners take an eternity to develop.

But on account of the sheer fortune of Darryl Sutter liking veterans over rookies and prospects, and therefore perennially sending Backlund back to the AHL for more development, and the dumb luck of drafting back to back solid C prospects in Monahan and Bennett, the Flames’ roster holes are predominantly on the wings, where it is far easier to find a hired gun.

I’m not saying the Oilers ought to have taken Seguin back in 2010, or that they’ve gone about the entire process incorrectly, just that fortune put them in a very tough situation with virtually no C depth in the organization and only one bona fide C amongst three 1st overall draft picks.

What MacTavish has accomplished in very short order is noteworthy, and not solely on account of the poor record of his predecessor.

24. jp says:

I agree that Torrey would probably stick with Arcobello rather than do something rash. And agree that MacT is likely doing the same and that it might well be a wise decision (and has added some nice C prospects).

All the same it would be nice if MacT could trade Larsen and Aulie for Bo Horvat to shore up the future a little better (fair comp for Hornung and Crahley for Bourne?).

25. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Gordon’s severe zone starts mean the other centers can roam about the earth somewhat free. Without him, disaster in that area and even less possession, if that’s possible.

That would only be endurable (and this is a real stretch, even for me) if the Oilers were bad enough to snag a better draft position than the Flames as a result and then win the lottery to pick up Eichel or McDavid.

Speaking of which, we should start the work on drafting a pool right now: If the OIlers won the draft lottery in 2015, how many hours would it take before the NHL announced a major revision to the lottery process prohibiting a team from winning the lottery in the event they have had a 1st overall pick any time in the previous five years? My bet would be 18 hours.

26. Romulus Apotheosis says:

sutter isn’t a good option.

you want one of two kinds of players for this role.

1). a green assassin, a killer, who’s also young, like J Staal, or ROR who can come in fill the role right away and for years to come. Stick around for the good times and add some competition to RNH and Leon down the line.

2) a mercenary vet, like Legwand, who can come in and fill the role for a year or two and then disappear into the night, like it never happened.

A player like Sutter… is basically Gagner again. A guy that can’t really stabilize your roster, but he’s young enough to have long term ideas.

no thanks.

Trade for Nielson, Anisimov, or Eakin. Or, say fuck it and sign both Loktionov and Winnik to one year 1M deals each.

jp:
    I agree that Torrey would probably stick with Arcobello rather than do something rash. And agree that MacT is likely doing the same and that it might well be a wise decision.

All the same I’d rather trade Larsen and Aulie for Bo Horvat (fair comp for Hornung and Crahley for Bourne?).

Yep

28. Pouzar says:

If the kids name was Brandon Smith a lot more people wouldn’t be happy with this rumor.

29. Marcus Oilerius says:

Lowetide: Oilers have lots of room, but if there comes a contract available that they need to flush a contract over, they have a few candidates. Good spot they’re in.

Let’s not forget that Schultz and Draisaitl still haven’t signed. Draisaitl might go back to junior, or he might be a $3.5m cap hit.

Marcus Oilerius: Let’s not forget that Schultz and Draisaitl still haven’t signed.Draisaitl might go back to junior, or he might be a $3.5m cap hit.

The bonus from Draisaitl’s contract, as I understand it, would not apply to the cap.

31. stevezie says:

flyfish1168: JMHO. I believe there is not much Leon will learn going back to junior. Not like a defensemen. That was one of the arguments used to keep Monahan in Calgary versus back in junior.

Maybe not, but it’s not just about helping Leon. It’s also about maximizing his ELC (self-explanatory I hope), and helping the team. As Mantooth mentioned, we’re frigged six ways to Sunday if any centre gets hurt. We need depth- the kind of depth I don’t think leon provides. Maybe he can be effective in sheltered minutes. but if RNH or Gordon goes down and we can’t give them to him? I think Lander has shown the developmental value of being road kill in the NHL.

Romulus Apotheosis,

Gagner’s biggest flaw was a lack of defensive awareness, right? Well this team is perfectly suited to put that flaw on display. Sutter’s sure looks like he can’t score enough. I think this team is well-suited to absorb that one.

He’s no Plan A, but if all Sutter (or whomever) is is a competent center that we trade in a year when Leon is imminent, that is useful on this team.

(We’re also in a good position to live with it if ROR flees to free agency in two years, for whatever that’s worth.)

32. Romulus Apotheosis says:

stevezie: You described the two ideal solutions, but I’d still take a green mercenary if that’s all that’s out there. Let’s say Sutter comes in and all he is is a flawed, but established NHL player. Isn’t that still useful given our current depth?

Hey,

IF Sutter is coming over for Lander and a 5th round pick in 2016… ok. fire away.

The problem is… he’s going to command enough to create another hole, on the wing or on D.

33. TheOtherJohn says:

Sorry if anyone thought I was suggesting Brandon Suttwr. I was not. In the 3C role in Pittsburg he was meh Absent throwing Draisatl into the deep end and hoping he doesn’t drown, it’s RNH, Arco, Gordon, Lander and Acton. I really like RNH & Gordon and holy crap that’s a bad group of centres. Like really bad

I like and advocate Rom’s option 1. Trade real NHL players for Jordan Staal or ROR and solve Oiler C woes for 5 years.

Or try the existing 5, plus LD, we have now. How bad can it be? With everyone exceeding expectations 16-20 is a legit possibility. If some of them perform as expected or less than expected we could be out of the playoff hunt by December 1.

Or maybe quality centres in the NHL are not necessary. That’s possible…….right. It’s not the first time the Oilers have shown they are the smartest guys in the room

34. Hammers says:

How did Sutter get into the conversation . I still think Ealin would be the fit even if its a “D”( Musil ) we give up with say with Lander . Helps Dallas with there cap Landers 600K & Musil plays in Texas .

35. supernova says:

Hammers,

Musil and Lander probably wouldn’t get you Eakins skates from Dallas.

They need a D that can play right now.

36. "Steve Smith" says:

supernova:
    Hammers,

Musil and Lander probably wouldn’t get you Eakins skates from Dallas.

Then what do you think it would take?

I WANT THOSE SKATES!

37. TheOtherJohn says:

Pretty sure you could get Cody Eakins skates for an autographed set of shoulder pads from Zdeno Chara the best Bruin D man of all time

If Eakin is such a good player, and I have assumed he is, why would Jim Nill, inexperienced rube that he is, be willing to trade him to the Oilers?

I keep forgetting the Oilers ability to use Jedi mind tricks……”there’s nothing here, move along….”

38. G Money says:

How many of these have to be true before we exit the Panic Centre? How likely is each?

Scrivens & Fasth > Doobie & Barbie
    RNH14 > RNH13
    Arco14 > Gagner13
    “Steve Smith” gets Eakin’s skates from Dallas
    Lander14 or Dr. Drai > Acton Jackson
    Yak14 > Yak13
    Pouliot and Purcell >= Hemsky and Smyth
    Fayne > Nultz
    Nikitin > Belov or Larsen
    Ali > Frazier oops I mean Aulie > Fraser

(I’ll assume that we can count on reasonable season to season equivalence for Hall, Ebs, Perron, Gordon, Hendricks, Petry, Marincin, Jultz, Ference assuming fewer minutes)

Despite being up late, I’m not losing any sleep over this team. It’s a better team than last year. Yeah, it would be nice to sign a veteran 2C and Winnik, but I expect a markedly better year anyway. Every line and every pairing, not to mention the goalie tandem, should be better than last year, and that’s something. *** AND THE COACHING. ***

39. supernova says:

“Steve Smith”,

A young Center who just scored 35 points and was on pace to out score that the year before?

I would think Petry would be the ask maybe even Petry Plus.

If Sutter and Eller are getting $3.5 million range for Salary Eakins will be there shortly, he is a bit younger so less Bargaining power right now but he is in that range.

Lander hasn’t proven a thing so his trade value is not high and Musil has “footspeed” mentioned with his name every time.

Aside from that Dallas has Oleksiak and Honka in the system amongst others and is making a play to compete with the big boys with Acquisitions of Spezza, Hemsky, and Seguin. They are going playoffs or bust.

40. "Steve Smith" says:

supernova,

That was a thorough and reasoned answer, but you misunderstood me: I’m only interested in the skates.

41. jp says:

“Steve Smith”: Then what do you think it would take?

I WANT THOSE SKATES!

I’m seeing a potential 3-way deal here. What would you give for the skates?

42. supernova says:

“Steve Smith”,

Pretty darn good skates too.

Trade for the player you get those skates.

43. stevezie says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Well… yeah, exactly. I’m arguing hypotheticals because it makes me happy. No one knows why.

Sutter, Kelly, Loktionov… there’s a long list of guys who sort-of-but-don’t-really fit our needs. My only real point is the pathetically obvious one that if the choice comes down to “flawed” vs. “no one”, take the flaws. Preferably on the cheap.

Skates included.

44. Deadman Waiting says:

Another long night, and the walls are speaking in tongues again.

If I were to pull together an American Idol panellist dream-team, four names that just came to me in a dream are Jesus, Prince, KD, and Ella.

Ella: versatile, perfect pitch, all business
    KD: versatile, perfect pitch, out there
    Prince: versatile, probably perfect pitch, out there
    Jesus: all business, extra perfect pitch, possibly out there

Prince immediately renames himself “Pi”. Thereafter he only ever refers to KD as “Ms Lang”. KD comes right back at him, addressing Prince-cum-Pi as “Pea”. Ella calls him “Sweet Pea”. Only Jesus calls him “Pi”. With this small compromise, the handle hierarchy boils under.

One time Ella forgets herself and says “Hey, Prince” and they both start talking over each other at the same time. After this incident, Ella sticks to calling Prince “Sweat Pea” to keep things clear, except there was this one time when she gets steamed over Jesus’ tough love attitude and turns to him with the big “beehive” headshake and goes “Hey, Sweat Peace, what gives, man?”

Behind the scenes, after the first episode, Jesus’s contract is amended to “keep his #$@!# healing hands off the blues and soul artists”.

After the contractual paperwork is concluded, there’s a bit of banter.

Executive 1: You know, you’re worse than Simon!
    Jesus [playing dumb]: uhhh … Simon, Simon Peter, or Simon Cowell?
    Executive 2: Pfffffft …
    Executive 1: … We thought you were going to be the soft judge.
    Jesus: Wherever did you get that idea?
    Executive 2: Sunday school.
    Jesus: Sorry, I never attended Sunday “school”. Things were a lot different back in my time. I guessed you missed the movie.
    Executive 1: Hey, yeah, what did you think about the movie?
    Jesus: Honestly, it made me think. First off: the director is awfully rough on my homies … I’m going to have to have a chat with him about that somewhen. Okay, so I’m sitting there—really feeling it—and then this voice in the back of my mind says to me “you know, we really didn’t think about the children in the future era of MTV”. My life story was already pushing the envelope on good taste when it was merely ink on parchment.
    Executive 1: So it looked good on paper …
    Executive 2: … but when you go to actually film … er … produce it …
    Executive 1: … it’s a bit over the top for a mixed audience.
    Jesus: Yeah, I guess that’s fair enough, but you know, hindsight is 20–20. As I said, things were a lot different back in my time.
    Executive 1: But the boys could sing?
    Jesus: Oh yeah, the boys could sing.

———

This is not quite as far off topic as it might at first appear. It’s a disguised meditation on what it means to actually earn your accolades, about when society gives people a pass and when we don’t.

45. Pouzar says:

G Money,

Bang on G. This is a better team than last year period. Heck the coaching changes alone would buy us a couple extra wins. Expecting a playoff team might be a bit much given the amount of turnover but this is a better team no doubt. I ain’t losin sleep either brutha.

46. Ca$h-Money! says:

TheOtherJohn:

If Eakin is such a good player, and I have assumed he is,why would Jim Nill, inexperienced rube that he is, be willing to trade him to the Oilers?

I agree… Except Chara is the third best bruins D behind Orr and Bourque.

47. russ99 says:

I wonder which veteran centers we’re going to invite to camp?

I’d rather see Arco earn a spot than just gift him a top 6 role.

The goal this year is to improve. Just ignoring the center position and knowing that it’s unlikely that RNH and Gordon can play tough minutes and be able to play all 81 games (hopefully Dallas had a talking to by Ramsay about icetime already) and how awful a grind it was when we had 1 1/2 centers that road trip a few years ago makes it seem even worse.

Hopefully MacT is just waiting to get Schultz signed so he knows what numbers he has to work with.

Bohologo: Why you gotta hurt Brad Park’s feelings like that?

Leaving Dit Clapper out of the conversation similarly controversial!

Eddie Shore is going to club everyone to death for not mentioning him.

49. russ99 says:

G Money,

Sorry but Arco’s offense << Gagner's offense and to win, you need offensive production from your second line.

50. gcw_rocks says:

I would look at trading Perron for Anisimov and then sign someone like Setoguchi.

Hall – Nuge – Eberle (power vs power)

Yakupov – Anisimov – Purcell (soft minutes)

Pouliot – Arcobello – Setoguchi (average competition)

Lander – Gordon – Hendricks (own zone starts)

51. gcw_rocks says:

As I understand, the bonus can be deferred to count against next year’s cap, but do you want to take the hit now when the team is clearly not a contender, or defer it to a time the team is likely to be more competitive and their have better use for the cap space?

52. G Money says:

russ99:
    G Money,

Sorry but Arco’s offense << Gagner’s offense and to win, you need offensive production from your second line.

This is possible, but you speak from certainty and the numbers do not support such a stance.

Here are Arco’s numbers from the first month of the season when he was the de facto 2C:
    PPG: 0.769 Avg TOI: 17.83 Avg game-by-game (not total) 5×5 CF%: 67.9%

VERY respectable, maybe even outstanding, for a 2C.

Here are Gagner’s from Oct 29th on:
    PPG: 0.552 Avg TOI: 18.38 Avg game-by-game (not total) 5×5 CF%: 44.58%

NOT all that respectable for a 2C.

Even Arco’s full year scoring numbers in the NHL, despite spending much of it stuck on the fourth line once Gagner returned, were pretty close (0.44 ppg).

Now of course all the usual caveats apply – small sample size, Eastern opponents, etc.

Nonetheless – the book on Arco as 2C, especially given his torrid late-season AHL scoring pace of almost 2 ppg, should be optimistic, not pessimistic, until demonstrated otherwise. At this point, he is likely a significant improvement, offensively AND defensively, over the Gagner of last year.