PRONMAN ON THE PICKS

I spoke to Corey Pronman on the Lowdown today, he always brings the good stuff when talking prospects. In our continuing effort to grab all the available information on these new Oilers, I wanted to pass along what Pronman said today on Edmonton’s top 2 picks.

PRONMAN VERBAL

• On Draisaitl: “I think there was a reasonable argument to take him. He’s a guy who is an elite passer with high end skill and a good brain, he’s a guy who could be a pretty high end NHL player offensively. Considering the Oilers current roster, getting a high end offensive player with size was a priority for the organization.”
  • On Lagesson: “He’s a guy I had rated around 60. I’ve seen him play well many times, he’s a player I really like. At the U-18 level, in the tournament in February and in April, he was a top player for Sweden U-18s). He’s a physical defenseman he skates well and defends well. I don’t think he’s a sterling offensive player, but he has average puck moving ability. He won’t be in the World Juniors this year. I think this is a guy who is going to be a very good prospect and the Oilers got good value where they picked them.”

pronman lagesson

MORE ON LAGESSON

Ryan Kennedy, The Hockey News

• A big, strong defenseman who is nasty to play against, Lagesson also chipped in three goals for the Tre Kronor at the world under-18s. Already 6-foot-2 and nearly 200 pounds, Lagesson was picked up by Dubuque in the first round of the USHL draft, so perhaps we’ll see him over here sooner than later. Draft eligible in 2014.

Stu MacGregor, Edmonton Oilers

• “He makes a good first pass and has some hockey sense but I can’t emphasize how much he wants to battle and compete. One-on-one he’s a warrior. It doesn’t hurt that he’s coming over here to get used to the ice surface. He’s probably going to college after Dubuque.”

Hockey Prospect.com

• Lagesson was Sweden’s best defenseman in this game and was effective in different areas of the game. He did a good job using his body to separate the opposing players from the puck and he won quite a few battles deep in his zone. He was very aggressive on 1-on-1 battles and he took a bad penalty doing it. I also thought he moved very well around the ice and he showed it by joining the rush a few times. He seems to have some interesting tools and the upside to play a solid two-way game. Skating needs work.

MORE ON DRAISAITL

• WHL from Above: Draisaitl has arguably the most raw talent of any WHL prospect for the 2014 NHL Draft. From my viewings, his best asset is his vision. He has a great ability to slow the play down and set up linemates with super feeds on either the forehand or backhand, with his backhand sauce being something to sit back and marvel at. That ability to slow down the play has been seen as a knock by some, as he tends to attempt to slow the pace down constantly, instead of showing an ability to play in a faster environment. His skating is also another area of concern as he’s got a choppy, ugly stride. I think that’s definitely an area of concern, but has been an area that many players have improved upon in the past. He really had a great second half of the season, putting the Raiders on his back and shrugging off a sub-par appearance at the World Juniors for team Germany. He also put together a strong performance for Germany at the World Championships, proving that he can look pretty good on the ice against some NHL talent, despite his skating concerns. Overall I think he might have the most potential of any WHL player in the draft and I wouldn’t be shocked if a team took him in the top 3 picks.
  • Bruce McCurdy, Cult of Hockey: The big centre (listed as 6’1, 209) was neither overly physically aggressive nor a speedster, but largely impressed this observer with his overall command of the game. The play went through his stick constantly, and for the most part, good or at least promising things developed thereafter. He showed a couple of bursts of what I would term “situational speed” but his A game is clearly one of controlling the play rather than pushing it. As I said to my voice recorder at one point, “When the puck is on Draisaitl’s stick, he owns it. Even if there’s a guy in his kitchen he’s in full control.” And later, “Very calm with the puck on his stick, not quite nonchalant but knows how much time he’s got, which in this league is a lot. Big and strong and can dangle the puck out of reach of the man who’s on him, pick his spot and distribute… A lot of subtle stuff, some little mistakes at the end of shifts, but with the puck on his stick he makes a lot of good decisions.”
  • Central Scouting’s B.J. MacDonald: “He’s the best prospect I’ve seen from this draft class at protecting and handling the puck; he’s very Jaromir Jagr-esque. He protects the puck, makes those button hooks and hits guys coming in late. He’ll hold onto that puck until he sees the right play to make. He has a great wrist shot and good snap shot, and can surprise a lot of goalies with it.”

59 Responses to "PRONMAN ON THE PICKS"

1. RexLibris says:

I was nervous about the draft going in, worried that Ekblad would fall to #3 or that the Oilers would have to choose between Reinhart and Bennett.

I think Draisaitl was the best fit/highest-skill player available for the Oilers in the draft and they got him.

I’ll take a big body/big brain player with terrific playmaking skill all day long. Joe Thornton? Please and thank you.

On Lagesson, I noticed he actually had a .4 ppg pace over 50 games in SuperElit (Frolunda), the most games he’s played in any single league, and was +31 over that time. Sounds kind of like a prospect in the Musil type with perhaps a shade more offense.

2. VanOil says:

A third line of;

Pouliot-Draisaitl-Yakupov

Get-Dish-Destroy

3. YoungOil says:

VanOil:
    A third line of;

Pouliot-Draisaitl-Yakupov

Get-Dish-Destroy

If it actually worked, I would be in heaven.

4. eidy says:

Just saw that Kenny Morrison is at the LAK camp this year. Lots of rumors about Edmonton being interested in him as a college FA before taking the other kid from western michigan.

How does it work for college kids, if they are I drafted can they go to whatever camp they want? Do they switch it around? I suspect the oilers tried to get him to come back again to development camp. I wonder if there is any impact on where they ultimately sign? I suspect it is like recruiting trips for the college kids but I was hoping he would have been in Jasper as well.

5. John Chambers says:

Anyone think that if Draisaitl has a bad prospect camp that MacT thinks it over and shops for a veteran centre?

I wonder to what extent they’re evaluating over the next few days to measure whether they need to give a one year contract to Derek Roy or Steve Ott.

6. Ryan says:

John Chambers:

Maybe he decides to run:

RNH
    Arcobello
    Gordon
    Lander

And make a run for McDavid.

7. Ryan says:

John Chambers:

Sorry, just messing with ya.

I think Mact knows he has to make a trade for a top six centre.

If the Nuge gets injured, this entire season is a write off.

Imagine:

Arcobello
    Dry saddle
    Gordon
    Lander

It wouldn’t even be watchable.

8. Zack says:

John Chambers,

Possibly send Draisaitl down after his 9 games. From what I remember I love Steve Ott’s style of play but his skill level is another question… Possibly sign him and put him on the fourth line and bump up Gordon to the third. Still leaves a hole at 2C though.

RNH
    1B/2C
    Gordon
    Lander/Ott

Where are you Horcoff?

9. John Chambers says:

Ryan,

I think that’s got to be the question management has to contemplate – they can survive an injury to a wing or defenseman, calling up Klefbom or other, and moving Lander up the lineup. But a single injury at C would spell catastrophe and render the nice offseason moves all for naught.

10. Ryan says:

John Chambers:
    Ryan,

I think Mact is acutely aware that even with the fortuitous distraction of the chance to draft McDavid, the unwashed masses will be calling for his head if the Oilers suck this year.

Really the atmosphere within the Org will be completely toxic if the Oilers finish in the bottom five again.

The only way to avoid that is to trade for a top six centre.

11. John Chambers says:

Ryan,

Do you favour making a trade or signing one of the remaining UFA’s?

If trade, who do you think is the target ? What asset(s) should the Oilers be willing to give up?

For me I’m more in favour of just signing Derek Roy for a year and keeping all our prospects, picks, right- and left-handed defensemen. Legwand would’ve been the ideal, IMO.

12. Colieo87 says:

I predict Edmonton to have center injuries this coming season and we are in lottery contention with McDavid and hall ask for trade in the next 2 seasons.

13. supernova says:

To me this draft seemed to a ” fill In the gaps draft”

Seems like they started out saying what do we need in the big club?

A Big C that can play top 6.
    A guy that can lay the hammer in the defensive zone.
    A goalie that we can maintain a save percantage and we can take some time developing.
    A big guy that could be a late bloomer, in the Penner/ Purcell mode.
    Etc, etc

To me this draft feels like they were looking for specific needs.

I am not sure I like that especially with the lack of top 60 picks. It seems the opposite style of last years draft. I am not sure it works out well for you when you have specific things you want. The draft is already a crapshoot of teenage boys.

But I did like their first 2 picks.

14. jp says:

John Chambers:

Agree also that D. Roy would be a good stopgap option.

Instead of thinking about Steve Ott playing for the Oilers, I like to thing about fun things like sticking my foreskin in a running eggbeater or getting paper cuts on my eyeballs.

Woodguy:

Fun! MacT is looking for a bridge, not a cliff

17. Ryan says:

John Chambers:
    Ryan,

Do you favour making a trade or signing one of the remaining UFA’s?

Well, I would have liked to sign Legwand or Grabovski, but that didn’t work out. Now, we’re scraping the barrel to the extent that there are no palatable ufa’s available.

It’s hard to know what targets are available though the Blues are rumored to be shopping Berglund who is not an ideal fit, but might be an okay stopgap if the price is right. For those who disagree, what are the odds that he’s worse than one or all three of Dry Saddle, Arcobello, and Lander next season?

Other than that, even with losing Stastny, Colorado has an embarrassment of riches at centre with Duchenbe, O’Reilky, and Mackinon. Maybe one of their less palatable surplus vet centers shakes loose for cheap like talbot. Again, not ideal but better than our current situation.

The Islanders are knee deep in centres, but likely would be looking for a dman in return.

After that, I don’t really know…

In terms of assets, I would be inclined to shop the beloved Perron. He’s a great player on an awesome contract for two more years which makes him valuable. I’d rather trade from our depth on wing than from defense to fill the 2c hole. Of course if you’re trading Perron, you want a much better return than anyone I’ve listed and I just don’t know who’s available.

18. steveb12344 says:

jp: Nice point. And iirc all the guys who ended up making an NHL impact looked out of place (in a good way) at dev camp. Maybe I’m misremembering the others, but it doesn’t sound like Daisaitl is clearly ready for the NHL, never mind 2C.

19. Lloyd B. says:

Ryan,

Last year we were all screaming for 2LW. MacTavish went out and got one. Now you want to recreate that hole? Please stop trading actual NHL players. They are precious commodities on this team.

20. jp says:

steveb12344: So you determined this based on a scrimmage between team-mates (sorta) in early July?

Fair enough – obviously the small sample size vs weak competition isn’t the be all and end all for Draisaitl’s year.

My point was that, if I’m remembering correctly, all the guys who recently made a successful jump to the NHL looked dominant at development camp. Head and shoulders above most of the others there who were headed back to Jr or college. Draisaitl didn’t do that. A small point may be, but still not a positive one.

I said that Draisaitl isn’t obviously ready for NHL action, not that the definitely isn’t based on this weeks performance.

21. HallDown says:

If we insist on bringing in a ringer and can’t get it via trade than I say short-sign Ribeiro, on the condition Eakins keeps him in a box so his lousy attitude can’t poison the dressing room. Just picture Eakins being down a goal, turning to Ramsay and saying “bring out The Gimp.”

22. FastOil says:

Unless a winger or Fasth can be dealt for a high Q centre I think I would rather Arcobello swapped with Lander handling 2C for one year.

Reality is this isn’t a Cup year, so do things that get the team to the goal regardless.

23. Ryan says:

Lloyd B.:
    Ryan,

Last year we were all screaming for 2LW.MacTavish went out and got one.Now you want to recreate that hole?Please stop trading actual NHL players.They are precious commodities on this team.

Last year we were all screaming for a 2c, NHL dman, and more c…

On the grocery list of roster needs, I don’t recall anyone screaming for a 2lw last year.

I love Perron, but you have to find something to trade because you sure as shit can’t run rNH-Arcobello- dry saddle–Gordon,

If that’s your plan, Gord help you if the Nuge tweaks his shoulder.

24. jp says:

Woodguy:

Based on him being a jerk, or his hockey playing ability? Or both?

25. Ryan says:

jp: Based on him being a jerk, or his hockey playing ability? Or both?

His Corsi rel.

26. Deadman Waiting says:

Woodguy:

I did that once as a young child. Only it wasn’t a kitchen appliance. It was one of those first generation post-war washing machines: the original white good that later gave birth to Tik-Tok (male-pattern accumulation) and R2D2 (male-pattern inclination).

There were these two rubberized rolling pins (industrial strength) conjoined at the gaping end with a compound lever–latch. Their main purpose was to separate water from cotton. Cotton is pretty tight with its pizzle, so the motor behind the belt was torque city.

I was at—or nearly at—the age of reading. There was no bright-orange sticker in Sweden’s favorite font helpfully informing the curious young child: WARNING: The human body is an ugly bag of mostly water.

My curiosity about the magnitude of its draw was instantly rewarded. My alarm, too, was immediate, but this was nothing compared to the immediate prospect of running out of index finger. Forefingerskin is really quite durable. It’s when you’re hard up against the insufficiency of fingerstalk that things become dicey: dicey like a fish peeled right out of his pyjamas. It’s when the roller hits the fingercrotch that one’s initial whimper escalates into a shriek. I don’t recall whimpering, but I must have made some kind of noise, because my mother arrived extremely promptly, about five seconds before her blood. Whatever teleportation technology she employed dithers over haemoglobin.

I still have a white barracuda on the top of my left index finger where the debate began about feeding the roller the rest of my arm.

My poor mother.

27. B S says:

Deadman Waiting,

So… Steve Ott then? that’s 2 for and two against by my count.

28. jp says:

Ryan: His Corsi rel.

I guess 2 yrs of ugly isn’t OK, but he was quite solid for years before that in Dallas. He’s most definitely not the answer for 2C, but he could be a worthwhile bottom 6 player if the price tag falls below 1.5M or so. At least slightly on the good side of genital mutilation imo, if there were cap $$ that might go unused otherwise.

29. gr8one says:

What’s the Story on Ribeiro’s issues?

His skill and passing level is elite, but I’m not sure how serious his off ice issues are, but I bet he could put up some nice numbers with some of the wingers we have. I’d still like to see another winger like Winnik signed too, but with Joenssu/Pitlick/Gazdic/Pakarinen kicking around I doubt that happens.

Hall Nuge Ebs
    Perron Ribeiro Yakupov
    Pouliot Draisatl/Arco Purcell
    Hendricks Gordon Winnik

On the other hand, if Ribeiro’s problems have the potential to be cancerous to the room, then obviously no thanks.

Any of you out there now more about what his issues are?

30. justDOit says:

Funny stuff:

Strombone
    ‏@strombone1
    For most of my twitter followers asking……NO I was not in goal for Brasil today…….

31. John Chambers says:

jp,

I just can’t believe the entire league of GMs soured on QualGrit in such a short period of time. I thought for sure he’d be the champion of least merited, most likely to be prematurely bought out, contract of the entire July 1st escapade of excess.

Instead the award goes to Brooks Orpik.

32. Ryan says:

gr8one:
    What’s the Story on Ribeiro’s issues?

Hall Nuge Ebs
    Perron Ribeiro Yakupov
    Pouliot Draisatl/Arco Purcell
    Hendricks Gordon Winnik

Any of you out there now more about what his issues are?

Type “mike ribeiro” into Google and let Google suggest alkege the rest. His problems are allegedly of a substance abuse nature.

33. Johnny says:

gr8one,

Think party on the ski hill type issues. I don’t know if we want that around the kids…

Steve Ott would be good, so would Roy….anybody really. The Dangler has to go back and so do Bo and JuJar.

Remember we got Hendricks that can play center too. Arco definitely deserves a chance after what he did to fill in for Gags last year and with how he lit up the A.

Hall RNH Eberle
    Perron Arco Yak
    Pouliot Gordon Purcell
    Gazdic Hendricks Lander

Maybe they fight for 10th….if everything goes perfectly…

34. Chris Hext---formerly EasyOil--- says:

Slightly OT, though still to do with prospects.

Am I right in thinking that the only prospects in the Oilers system that will be playing in Europe this year will be Zharkov and Slepyshev? Tuohimaa (AHL/ECHL) and Lagesson (USHL) are both making their way to North America.

Excluding the likes of Larsen, Horak, Hovinen, Tyvrainen, whom I wouldn’t really class as “prospects” any more due to their age and experience. And of course Bumagin who is still hilariously listed on the Oilers’ site.

Just found it odd, can anyone else think of a time when the Oilers had so few prospects playing in Europe, or am I wrong and two is a normal year?

35. frjohnk says:

Ryan: Type “mike ribeiro” into Google and let Google suggest alkege the rest.His problems are allegedly of a substance abuse nature.

Its too bad, he is a talented player.

Chris Hext—formerly EasyOil—:
    Slightly OT, though still to do with prospects.

I believe you’re correct.

37. Chris Hext---formerly EasyOil--- says:

Thought so. Wonder how that compares with other organisations.

38. jp says:

Chris Hext—formerly EasyOil—:

There’s a lot of goalies. I’ve got a feeling Tuohimaa ends up back in Finland (assuming they re-sign Bachman).

Scrivens
    Fasth
    Bachman
    Brossoit
    Tuohimaa
    Bunz
    Rimmer

You’re right though, sure seems like there are usually more prospects playing over your way.

39. One-Timer says:

Ryan: I think it is important for the Oilers (from their perspective) to take a step forward this year.

The only way to avoid that is to trade for a top six centre.

…and use the 2015 1st to get it done. (But only for gold, as per WG.) Then there’s no incentive to Fake it for McDavid.

You’re right – Oiler fans need and deserve a real season of competitive hockey. This is not trading away the future; it’s helping the future that is already here.

MacT: “Taylor, we don’t want to use that pick for veteran presence, we want a newer, younger superstar.”
    Hall: “Fuck you, I’m outta here.”

Burn the ships!

40. RexLibris says:

justDOit:
    Funny stuff:

Strombone
    ‏@strombone1

Gold!

41. One-Timer says:

justDOit:
    Funny stuff:

Strombone
    ‏@strombone1

Haha. As funny as that is, Julio Cesar does not own the goat horns for this humiliation of the century. He could have stopped 2 of the 7 goals… maybe.

The culprits-in-chief were the D in front of him. They were doing a great impression of cement-anchored 6 x 6 pressure-treated fenceposts.

You could have put the Eddies in there for Germany, and it might have been a draw.

42. Ducey says:

Chris Hext—formerly EasyOil—:
    Slightly OT, though still to do with prospects.

Erik Gustaffson is playing in Sweden. He is a 2012 4th rounder. I think he is still Oilers property isn’t he?

43. Ducey says:

I almost wonder if the Oilers made up A. Bumagin. The name is hilarious, and they don’t even have a picture for him on the website even though he is a 2006 draft pick and has been in the system forever. They never talk about him as a player of interest.

He was their last pick of that draft.

STL did it one year. They made up a guy and kept the myth going that he existed for some time.

44. justDOit says:

Ducey,

It was Buffalo – Taro Tsujimoto.

45. Logan91 says:

Agree also that D. Roy would be a good stopgap option.

Craig Button on Roy:
    “He can’t play,” Button said of Roy. “He can’t skate, he can’t play, he’s not big enough, he’s been injured. Basically, he’s not good enough. Wouldn’t touch him.
    “Up until about three years ago he was a very good, strong player but he ended up getting injured and the game got quicker and faster and to me he’s just not able to play at the pace and in the Western Conference. Small centreman that can’t skate, I’m not interested.

Button on going with Mark Arcobello over a player like Roy:

“I’d rather go with an unproven guy that skates better, competes, hasn’t been injured. Players have an expiration date, I get that. And they have a period of time leading up to the expiration date. That’s just the nature of pro sports and that’s never going to change. But I’m not prepared to go and take players who are at that point and don’t fit what your needs are just because they have experience.”

46. RexLibris says:

Ducey: Erik Gustaffson is playing in Sweden.He is a 2012 4th rounder.I think he is still Oilers property isn’t he?

The Oilers chose not to sign him and so lost his rights.

47. Hammers says:

Work on the basis that both Nurse & Leon get there 9 games and then they want them to return to junior . What if we win 6 or those 9 . Does Eakins say to McT I want keep them or do you still send them back . This has nothing to do with another “C” or “D” for that matter but is a question that would be hard to answer . My guess is most fans would scream bloody murder if they go back even if its better for both of them . As fans we see games but as a G.M. McT must see the big picture . For that reason alone I think he gets another “C” in the next couple of weeks . It may be a 2nd ; 3rd or 4th but he gets one .

48. RexLibris says:

justDOit:
    Ducey,

It was Buffalo – Taro Tsujimoto.

Of the Tokyo Katanas, if I recall correctly.

Nice C prospect, but he never came over to NA instead choosing to play in his hometown and try to grow the game overseas.

I wonder if LT ever got his rookie card: https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/the-taro-tsujimoto-rookie-card-honoring-an-unreal-player?urn=nhl,wp8508

49. jp says:

Logan91: Craig Button on Roy:

Button on going with Mark Arcobello over a player like Roy:

Cool. I didn’t realize it was that bad.

50. Surly says:

Hammers:
    What if we win 6 or those 9 .

My best guess is that the decision would be based on how we are winning. If we are winning 3-1 with Nurse holding his own and Leon scoring one of the goals every other night, they stay. If we are winning 6-4 with the veterans carrying the offence and those two bleeding chances, they go back to PA / SSM.

Montreal drafted Dave Lumley and the NY Islanders drafted Stefan Persson after the Taro Tsujimoto pick.

52. RexLibris says:

Why do you hate Imlach, LT? ;)

53. mumbai max says:

54. wheatnoil says:

mumbai max:

Also, how about when people ask questions and don’t use question marks? :)

55. Pouzar says:

mumbai max: Why is the confusion so rampant on this site between the words THEIR, and THERE. It drives me a bit nuts. THEY need to figure out how to use the correct word in THEIR writing and not use them interchangeably, here and THERE, regardless of which is correct.

Don’t loose you’re cool. People take this stuff way to seriously. It’s not they’re fault!

56. rickithebear says:

mumbai max:

What is the diffrence between centre and center; thru and through.
    Dialect!

People have the ability to determine its intent.

You know what the diffrence between their and there and they’re
    It belong to a dialect of people who do not give a fuck about.
    their or there.

If you get the intent you are being a dialect biggot.

I take it back if you are to/ too/two rigid to differentiate the intent! ;)

57. rickithebear says:

wheatnoil: Also, how about when people ask questions and don’t use question marks?

Don give a F……………….. Dialect!

58. Mesmer says:

rickithebear,

It’s got nothing to do with dialect or how rigid a reader is.

Sure, I can get the intent of the commenter. However, if the commenter cannot be bothered to learn or use proper syntax, why should I bother to take them serious enough to care? No offense, but the improper grammar and such just gives a reader the impression that you are not very smart, so why should I believe you have anything intelligent to say.?

Use whatever spelling or grammar you want. It’s only a reflection of who you are.