RE 14-15 BENOIT POULIOT: WOODSTOCK

When the Edmonton Oilers signed  Benoit Pouliot, buried under the lead (“Role player gets insane contract”) was a pretty effective third-line winger from Manhattan. A franchise that is more wasteful than the Kardashians may have actually gotten value for one of their July 1 trial balloons. Who knew?

BENOIT POULIOT 13-14

• 5×5 points per 60: 1.79 (6th among regular NYR forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 3.10 (8th among regular NYR forwards)
  • Qual Comp: 10th toughest among regular forwards (3rd line opp)
  • Qual Team: 10th best teammates among regular forwards (3line linemates)
  • Corsi Rel: 7.3 (4th best among regular forwards)
  • Corsi for % 5×5: 55.1
  • Corsi for % Rel 5×5: +3.4
  • Zone Start: 57.8% (6th easiest among regular forwards)
  • Zone Finish: 51.7% (3rd best among regular forwards)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 141/10.64%
  • Boxcars: 80GP, 15-21-36

VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER (CORSI ON)

pouliot vollman

A nice spot for a veteran player with some skill. He’s still in the two-way area, but getting a nice zone start (but no push, the Rangers apparently refused to start in their own end) and softer minutes. Terrific P/60 number for a third-line player, has to be one of the best in the business.

RE 14-15 PROJECTION

PPG NAME GP G A PTS
.450 BENOIT POULIOT ACTUAL 13-14 80 15 21 36
.432 BENOIT POULIOT 14-15 RE 74 14 18 32
  1. This is a wonderful third-line winger. Yes. Pouliot is a perfect fit for the need. Home run, MacTavish.
  2. Contract is stupid. Sure, way worse than Cam Barker or Nikolai Khaibulin or any number of Tambellini deals. It’s full lash and for several years, but they “got their guy” and that’s a big damn deal for Edmonton.
  3. I hear they’re moving him to center. Summer sportstalk radio is where fiction got it start. Relax.
  4. He did play center. Who cares? He made it as a LW, they’ll use him there.
  5. Come on, this is classic MacTavish! I’m surprised he hasn’t hired Pisani to ease the transition. I hate you.
  6. Hahaha. Remember when they traded Reasoner and then had to play Rem the Gem in the final? I’m going to kill you.
  7. Okay. Let’s talk about Benoit the winger. A very nice player. The offense is really good, his 5×5 is borderline outstanding. If he could score 1.79/60 from the third line for a decade they’d make the Pouliot Prize.
  8. Well, he’d be on the second line. Might end up there this coming season, depending on Yakupov.
  9. I thought Yakupov was off the table until it’s Yakupov time. Right you are.
  10. Who should Pouliot play with? On a soft minutes line, it would be interesting to see him with Leon or Arco as the center.
  11. But he wont? I expect there will be long periods during the season when Dallas Eakins has him on a checking line with Boyd Gordon at center.
  12. How should he be used? As in New York, with two other guys who can handle the puck and send it in a good direction.
  13. Who did he play with? Derick Brassard (499 minutes), Mats Zuccarello (352 minutes), Carl  Hagelin (219 minutes) and this is all 5×5.
  14. What do they do well? Brassard is average size but sturdy, good speed and can take and make a pass. Good offensive player, probably too good for his role in Manhattan and maybe that’s why he’s so strong at it.
  15. Edmonton equivalent? Don’t have one. The only center more skilled than Brassard on the current roster is Nuge, and he’s up the road apiece. Draisaitl may be better in terms of skill, but he’s a teenager and the foot speed is going to be a question mark until he proves himself. Oilers don’t have a Brassard, the closest comparable is Arcobello (good speed, can take and make a pass) and that may end up being the match. Arcobello is not as gifted as Brassard which is a key to the NYR line.
  16. Zuccarello? Diminutive skill winger, stunning passer just a delight. Gets a lot of things to the point of dangerous with a deft pass. Very underrated.
  17. Edmonton equivalent? Purcell is a bigger player, but does a lot of the same things. I’d say that’s a reasonable match in terms of skill, not a match in size or foot speed portions of a comparable.
  18. Carl Hagelin? Another undersized bullet with good passing ability. He can scoot by defenders ala Taylor Hall, but doesn’t have the ability to finish consistently. Scary forward with the puck on his stick, though.
  19. Edmonton equivalent? Yakupov, although he’s a different type of player (Yakupov isn’t as fast, but he can finish more consistently).
  20. So, the new Brassard-Zuccarello-Hagelin is Arcobello-Purcell-Yakupov? Yes, I think that combination is as likely as any based on fit. Perron-Purcell or Perron-Yakupov would seem to be the likely 2line combinations, so it makes sense. And then Arco until they trade for Cody Eakin.
  21. But you still think Boyd Gordon? You have to assume there are going to be many nights when nothing rhymes—this is still an unproven team. I imagine coach Eakins will throw Pouliot-Gordon-Hendricks out there a few times and it will probably settle things down. I’m not saying I love the idea of squashing Pouliot’s offense, but the Oilers are going to need two working lines. When the Leon line and the Arco line are swimming, one suspects we’ll see this kind of line get a lot of work.
  22. And the Nuge line? 28:12 and 44%.
  23. Now I hate you. Good. They need a more established center is all. The Oilers are close to balance, but they aren’t there. We can’t ignore that in the projections.
  24. Why this song? As the video above indicates, Mitchell never did get to Woodstock, watched it from New York. Mitchell wrote herself into Woodstock by song, and inserted herself into the history and lore of the event—I bet most people don’t know she couldn’t attend (it’s explained in the video). I think it’s a good match for Pouliot because he was a lottery pick, but he never did get to play that role, so he had to re-write himself and find an NHL career by becoming what you see today. Like Ethan Moreau before him, Pouliot is not the dominant scorer teams pursue when selecting in the top 10 overall, but he worked to become a worthy player. There’s honor in that, maybe more honor than being touched by God and having things come easily even at the highest level.
  25. Your explanation is longer than the song. Pouliot explains it well: “I consider myself a top-nine forward now. The past three years have been really positive. My game is better (more consistent player). In Tampa and in Boston before New York, I was third line, second line. Different roles on the second and third lines, maybe, but you get used to it and you do the job.”

47 Responses to "RE 14-15 BENOIT POULIOT: WOODSTOCK"

1. Hammers says:

Great pick up by McT and I would love to see him with Arco & Perron on the 3rd line . Your Re is as close to perfect in my opinion . . Great expectations and this player will be here for awhile . Another top 10 pick who has bounced around . Bet his stock goes up over the next few years .

2. oilspillcali says:

Hey LT

Sorry this is unrelated to the RE but do you think that a Petry or Petry+ a little for Cody Franson would be a good move ? I mean I feel Petry is probably a little more offensively minded then Franson but with Franson’s size and extra grit i feel that he could also help shore up the defensive holes. They have similar contracts with one year deals and then they are UFAs. i know Cult of Hockey had a good article on him but i was wondering your opinion.

3. wintoon says:

What I really like about the Pouliot acquisition, and LT alludes to this, is that he has become a professional hockey player. He is aware of his talents and has modified his game to maximize those skills. As a result he has become a very effective 2/3 line player and should make a significant contribution to the Oilers this coming season. We may have found our elusive Pisani.

4. nycoil says:

No thank you to Petry for Franson. Hell no, thank you to Petry+ for Franson.

Re: Pouliot– I’ve been thinking about this concept of 3 scoring lines and one with the brutal zone starts to do the heavy lifting. Out of the Oilers’ forwards, along with Boyd Gordon the one player with the ability to handle that duty is Pouliot. I’m glad you mentioned him in that context with Gordon and Hendricks.

I think that wastes his offense, but he could handle that role. The optics will be bad (signed a player for $4M per to play on the 4th line with an expensive 4th line C and an expensive 4th line wing in Hendricks). But optics be damned, that line could handle the load.

5. YoungOil says:

nycoil,

Agreed, but what do you think of getting someone to do that 4th line job like D. Winnik? Has the offence and can also play the toughs.

The icing on the cake is, he can also be had for pennies on the dollar.

6. nycoil says:

YoungOil,

I think that’s a good plan. If you can’t get the centres you need, that shouldn’t keep you from improving your team through other moves. I would be all for signing Winnik for the 4th line duties so that Pouliot can patrol the 3rd line instead and shelter Yak.

7. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I’m really happy with Pouliot. didn’t have him on my watch list of Fs this year. Figured he’d go big money, long and figured that would mean somewhere else. The SCF makes you figure everyone will cash in and that rarely means coming to EDM.

My only question on the contract is this: we are seeing the bargain bin get picked over with a bunch of really nice looking contracts (just like every year).

So… would you rather have one Pouliot or 4 of the following: Moss, Winnik, Roy, Riberio, Booth, Santorelli, etc.

I don’t know how to come to a definitive conclusion on that question.

In broader strokes I’d make two points:

1. I’m glad the Oilers followed their plan and it worked: Identify their couple of targets and go hard and get them.

2. I’m a little upset MacT didn’t (or hasn’t yet… there’s still time and still Loktionov, Winnik, Mueller, etc) explore the Grabo option he mentioned recently of waiting a bit and picking through the misfit toy pile.

In the future, I’d like to see some combo of both tacks tried.

8. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Adrian Dater ‏@adater 6m
    Joe Sakic tells me this is no sign-and-trade thing with ROR. “We want him long term, and we’ll keep working on that”

9. gcw_rocks says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

That’s what bugs me. They would have been better off to overpay Kulimen and sign Grabovski than to get Pouliot and have a big gaping hole at centre, even if Pouliot is better than Kulimen.

10. book¡je says:

I was at Woodstock, saw Joni Mitchell perform there, she was great.

book¡je:
    I was at Woodstock, saw Joni Mitchell perform there, she was great.

LIAR!

12. TheOtherJohn says:

Quite like the player. Have no difficulty on the term, hate the $$. A team cannot pay 3rd line wingers $4m unless you have 3-4 super cheap late draft pick forwards on cheap contracts Kruger/Shaw/Saad (Iam laughing as I think of the Barons forwards & type) or an $80m cap. Or you could have 2-3 super value deals like Hall’s contract and Nuge & Eberle on $5m long term deals

Think he will, like Gordon, be very appreciated for what he does most nights. His salary will not become a problem until it is a real problem.

Not sure the comparable for Pouliot’s overpay contract is Barker or Khabby. Do not think most people thought great signing but a a wee too much $$. Most thought they bad contracts when signed and the complaint was why, not the $$ value.

13. justDOit says:

book¡je:
    I was at Woodstock, saw Joni Mitchell perform there, she was great.

Biker acid and Joan Baez?

14. nycoil says:

TheOtherJohn,

I’m a big Pouliot fan. That said I pose the question: Hemsky at 3 x $4M or Pouliot at 5 x $4M?
    And I know they wanted to move on from Ales, and by the end, I’m sure Ales was ready to go as well. But in terms of value, I’d take Hemsky with all that comes with it (the hyperbolic media narrative about being a LIFO at practice, the “soft” label, etc.)

I don’t know who offered more term than the Oilers to Pouliot; putting two rumors together (New York area and 6 years), my guess is the Islanders, but that doesn’t mean it’s good value. I think the cost was high; MacT fully paid top dollar for an asset that suddenly came in vogue.

I, too, would have addressed the hole down the middle first, but getting better players is what’s needed at the moment and the Oilers are better with Pouliot than without.

15. Numenius says:

Gregor has an interesting interview with Rocky at ON.

A quote about Arcobello really stuck out to me. Rocky says Arco understands systems quickly from merely talking about them without needing a visual.

“Some players you can explain a system to and they can get it. Marc Arcobello you can talk to him and he can go right off of the bench and he can do exactly what you said. Other players they need a visual, they need to see themselves and they need to see where they failed and then be corrected in that situation. I think that it’s been an excellent tool for allowing our team, which was a very systematic team the past four years in Oklahoma, just to get us dialed in.”

That’s good to hear. He may be a better 2C than we think.

Edit: And I love the Pouliot signing.

16. justDOit says:

Numenius,

Was just going to post a comment about that article. Another thing that stands out, is how much Rocky Thomp has studied the game – being less gifted than most players, he says he had to focus on understanding the systems (through junior) to play a successful role on the team.

And that he was a national boxing champ and scratch golfer in his teens. Didn’t someone here suggest the Oilers get a fighting tutor to help Hall n co defend themselves? Rocky!!!

17. Pouzar says:

justDOit,

Can’t believe he is only 36.

18. Pouzar says:

Eric Rodgers ‏@ericrsports 44s
    So Stauffer hints that a vet center could be headed to the #OKCBarons on an AHL deal. First name that comes to mind, Corey Locke. #Oilers

19. justDOit says:

Pouzar,

Yeah – Tambo would have signed him to a 4 year contract. Player contract, that is.

Is Martin St. Pierre still kicking around?

21. Deadman Waiting says:

There’s a difference between “true balance” and “achievable balance”. We’re a little top heavy in star power by design (supposing Nuge takes the next step, Yak catches fire, and Dry Saddle is the real goods). Unbalanced like the “ugly” A-10 Warthog is not necessarily a bad thing—just make a few concessions and build around your ballyhoo.

The front landing gear is offset to the aircraft’s right to allow placement of the 30 mm cannon with its firing barrel along the centerline of the aircraft. During ground taxi, the offset front landing gear causes the A-10 to have dissimilar turning radii. Turning to the right on the ground takes less distance than turning left.

You know you’re hung when dressing to the side causes haggis ankle.

The wheels of the main landing gear partially protrude from their nacelles when retracted, making belly-up gear landings easier to control and less damaging.

Kesler discovers why you can’t scrape by with just one fully-functional Iron Man hockey glove.

Well, perhaps the A-10 program really should be cancelled after all.

No truth to the rumor the Flames signed the cow.

23. Bag of Pucks says:

There’s a lot to like about what MacT accomplished in free agency this year.

Defined reasonable targets (no whale hunting), kept contract terms relatively short and most importantly, acquired players from other teams who are known quantities.

For far too long, the Oilers were on the other end of this process. The org lived through all the players development pains only to lose them once they were finally reaching their potential. There IS some overpay with some of these deals, but it’s far better than the past when the Oil were essentially playing the role of the Montreal Expos.

There’s a lot of focus on the fact that MacT hasn’t acquired a vet 1D or 2C (unfortunately, this is the type of criticism you invite when you come in promising ‘bold moves’). But, by my eye, MacT’s primary tasks post Tambi were to address the 4-9 F depth, the overall D depth and the G in its entirety. In a scant 2 seasons, he’s done almost all of that. Solid work.

Now it’s on Eakins to make something of it all. If he’s not at the very least competitive with this roster, pink slip by Christmas?

24. Marcus Oilerius says:

I know y’all say that Pouliot is an advanced stats darling, but I don’t think I agree.

His zone starts are generous, as is his QoC. Between his zone finishes and Corsi/CorsiRel, it seems like he’s benefiting from a good ZS and weak QoC. Even then he doesn’t manage to finish in the offensive zone as often as he starts.

That’s not to say that he’s bad, but I don’t think he’s some sort of advanced stats prodigy whose fancy numbers don’t reflect his contribution. He seems like a good third line forward, no more.

Marcus Oilerius:

His zone starts are generous, as is his QoC.Between his zone finishes and Corsi/CorsiRel, it seems like he’s benefiting from a good ZS and weak QoC.Even then he doesn’t manage to finish in the offensive zone as often as he starts.

That’s not to say that he’s bad, but I don’t think he’s some sort of advanced stats prodigy whose fancy numbers don’t reflect his contribution.He seems like a good third line forward, no more.

The point with Pouliot is he delivered. Soft parade AND points AND good Corsi. His 5×5/60 is really solid, that has a great deal of value. The Rangers had silly good zs’s, so it’s not correct to say he received a push there.

26. Showerhead says:

Marcus Oilerius:

I read things the same way. Played on a very good team, had pretty good results given his context which was hardly uphill. I’ve hardly seen him play but the numbers on screen make me think Pouliot is certainly a real NHL player but will be no screaming hell.

oilspillcali:
    Hey LT

Franson has no grit and is a marginal 2nd pairing defensemen at best. (a 4.5). And he is a horrible defensive defenseman. I’d rather have Corey Potter.

Petry is a legit 2nd pairing defensemen forced into a first pairing role. (a 3.5)

Petry >> Franson, and it ain’t close.

28. Rocknrolla says:

Small sample size, but Purcell and populist were 56.9% Corsi For in 2012-13 while in Tampa. Played with Purcell only 14% of his ice, but nice number….

Edit: also that’s his highest teammate all year for anyone over 30 min.

29. Bag of Pucks says:

Btw, I know we have some Expos fans here. Anyone read Keri’s book “Up, up and away?”

Overall, I enjoyed the book a lot. Brought back a ton of memories and really made me realize that for a number of reasons, 1994 was the year I stopped being a serious MLB fan.

Interesting to hear a Montrealer’s take on why they lost the team. Certainly there were a lot of mitigating factors (stadium, work stoppage, lack of corporate support, losing broadcast revenues to the Jays, CAN$, etc.), and Keri covers them all. But at the end of the day, the fans simply stopped showing up.

Which brings up an interesting concept (fantasy?). Would a professional sports league ever support a team that divides it’s home games amongst a number of markets?

For example, if the Expos weren’t viable in Montreal alone, do they become viable as the “Canada Expos” with their home games divided equally amongst Montreal, Vancouver, Edmonton and Regina for example? Would fans get behind this or is there something intrinsically lost when rooting for the ‘home team’ means your sharing that allegiance with other markets?

30. book¡je says:

For those of you with elite standards who don’t happen to click over to Oilersnation, you might want to have a read of the interview that Gregor did with Rocky Thompson. I thought it was great. He sounds like a really good addition to the coaching staff.

31. Lois Lowe says:

book¡je,

Beware the brown acid.

32. Marcus Oilerius says:

Bag of Pucks,

So you have to build 4 stadiums rather than one, and by their very nature, baseball stadiums are specialized, meaning they’re running pretty much only baseball games. At 1/4 capacity. ie, busy 20 days out of the year.

I don’t think that’s viable.

33. Henry says:

book¡je,

It was a terrific interview. I love the Inside Hockey stuff.

34. Marcus Oilerius says:

book¡je,

I don’t mind Gregor. I hate discussing with him, because he’s an obstinate mule, but he’s light years ahead of Brownlee and slightly behind Staples as far as MSM go.

35. Henry says:

Bag of Pucks,

Montreal was a sad case. They needed to replace the O and that was everyone’s fault. Ultimately they fell prey to an owner who seemed to want the team simply as leverage to acquire more from the city and MLB. Now his tactics are on display in Florida. He has all the charm of a syphilitic penis.

36. wheatnoil says:

Marcus Oilerius:

I don’t think Pouliot is absolutely amazing, but his advanced stats have been consistently good year over year. He’s produced a positively corsi relative to his team every year for the last 5 years. Now, he hasn’t done that against top opposition but he hasn’t been facing the dregs. The last few years, he’s been facing middling opposition with middling zone starts (compared to his team). (edit: in the interest of accuracy, I should say that he did get a zone start push 3 years ago in Boston and 4 years in Montreal he faced the easiest competition, otherwise as far as I can see he’s been relatively middling compared to teammates)

If you go to http://nhlnumbers.com/2014/7/19/dcorsi-introductions , you’ll find a tool that attempts to determine what a player’s “expected” corsi is, given his usage and teammates and thus giving you a delta-corsi, your corsi above or below what is expected given your usage. If you look up Pouliot (edit: there’s a tool to do so on the link), you’ll find that he consistently bats above his expected corsi, with a positive delta corsi for the last 4 years.

Also, Tyler Dellow has his take on Pouliot in the following two links. I’m not as unreservedly positive as him, but he makes some good points. http://www.mc79hockey.com/2014/07/oilers-best-free-agency-move-ever/ and http://www.mc79hockey.com/2014/07/pouliot-possession-and-production/

37. Lois Lowe says:

Henry,

Jeffry Loria is the devil. He’s evil through and through.

38. Henry says:

“21. So, the new Brassard-Zuccarello-Hagelin is Arcobello-Purcell-Yakupov? Yes, I think that combination is as likely as any based on fit. Perron-Purcell or Perron-Yakupov would seem to be the likely 2line combinations, so it makes sense. And then Arco until they trade for Cody Eakin.”

One of the nice things about Poo-two is the versatility he’s gained from playing with so many players and teams. The two and three lines can be interchanged in any number of way to find a fit. Arco can play centre or RW. Yak, Perron and Purcell can play either side. Pouliot played effectively with a lot of guys in NY. Hopefully this will help the Oilers ride out the injuries that will come.

39. book¡je says:

Marcus Oilerius:
    Bag of Pucks,

So you have to build 4 stadiums rather than one, and by their very nature, baseball stadiums are specialized, meaning they’re running pretty much only baseball games.At 1/4 capacity.ie, busy 20 days out of the year.

I don’t think that’s viable.

Yes, I think the logistics of it in 2014 make it not an option. In 1970 when wages were low and stadiums/arenas were of much lower quality, then it may have been possible and I bet someone will bring up an example.

What is possible, however, is for a team like the Oilers to play a couple of games in a City like Regina or something in order to ‘reward’ their fans there. Currently, this tends to be a pre-season thing, but it could become a standard practice. On that note, did the NHL quash the ‘games in Europe’ thing?

40. Bag of Pucks says:

Henry, agreed that Loria is a douche, but ultimately I think Montrealers have no one but themselves to blame for losing the team?

In 94, they had the best record in baseball and only 3 teams in the NL had worse attendance numbers (PIT, NYM, SDP).

The popular narrative in MTL seems to be that the combination of the strike/lost World Series chance, and then the following fire sales where Brochu let so many stars walk are the prevailing reasons for losing the team. But clearly team attendance was trending downward before then.

Loria came onboard in Dec 99 and by then, Expos attendance had already started to bottom out (lowest in MLB in 98 and the only team under 1mil in total attendance). At the point Selig brought Loria in, the Expos had become an embarrassment to MLB.

Honestly the Expos had everything working against them (ownership, stadium, fickle fanbase, lack of corporate support, USvCAN$, etc.). Their lone saving grace was their stellar talent pipeline and development system. A real shame. In many ways, it seems they were an org that totally ‘got it’ on the field, but were absolutely clueless off of it.

41. Frank The Dog says:

“In a sense it’s kind of funny because the coach in the old days, you did it just because he told you to do it. Now, we have to convince you and let you know why it is that we are telling you what it is,…”

This from Rocky’s interview. May be a breath of fresh air to anyone who was on the team last year.

42. dessert1111 says:

Even though there has been some teeth gnashing this off season, I don’t think I have felt this good about the team’s depth at the major and minor level since the last time they made the playoffs.

One undermentioned positive I think is the versatility of the non-first line forwards. Several of them can play roles throughout the line up. That will allow the oilers to bring up the next best player from the farm when injuries hit instead of having to just bring up the guy who has the closest matching skill set to the injured player.

The centre and defense has up and comers, let’s just hope for development and today’s holes won’t be an issue in a year or two.

Transition time, but unlike two years ago I can see outside the dark tunnel.

43. Bag of Pucks says:

book¡je: Yes, I think the logistics of it in 2014 make it not an option.In 1970 when wages were low and stadiums/arenas were of much lower quality, then it may have been possible and I bet someone will bring up an example.

What is possible, however, is for a team like the Oilers to play a couple of games in a City like Regina or something in order to ‘reward’ their fans there.Currently, this tends to be a pre-season thing, but it could become a standard practice.On that note, did the NHL quash the ‘games in Europe’ thing?

Would it work in hockey? Could Regina, Hamilton, Quebec City and Halifax for example, share a team in the NHL?

In other words, could a market with an outdated facility like Copps w/out the prerequisite luxury boxes and other revenue streams, become viable if they only needed to achieve 10 guaranteed sellouts a season?

44. Henry says:

Bag of Pucks,

Sure Montrealers set themselves up for what they got. The team was good, but the O was a disaster. Little reason to go there unless one was hopelessly in love with the team. The team’s value plummeted and the carpetbagger came in. *spits*

The early nineties Expos were good, or at least promising for years. Alou was a very good tactical manager. Management was in general very good with cultivating prospects (excepting a misguided Randy Johnson for Mark Langston trade). Before I moved to San Franscisco and became a Giants fan I hated Barry Bonds because he singlehandedly put Pittsburgh in the playoffs over Montreal every year. Until 94 when FehrSelig did.

45. VanOil says:

I would like to see Pouliot on a soft minutes third line with Draisaitl and Nuge because there range of skills.

Get-Dish-Destroy

Sadly as it currently stands it seems the coaches priority will be protecting the weakness in the Center position. NHL coaches are overly conservative, it is part of the job Eakins picked up early.

46. Bag of Pucks says:

Henry:
    Bag of Pucks,

Sure Montrealers set themselves up for what they got.The team was good, but the O was a disaster.Little reason to go there unless one was hopelessly in love with the team.The team’s value plummeted and the carpetbagger came in.*spits*

The early nineties Expos were good, or at least promising for years.Alou was a very good tactical manager.Management was in general very good with cultivating prospects (excepting a misguided Randy Johnson for Mark Langston trade).Before I moved to San Franscisco and became a Giants fan I hated Barry Bonds because he singlehandedly put Pittsburgh in the playoffs over Montreal every year.Until 94 when FehrSelig did.

Agreed on the Langston trade. Those kind of missteps were quite rate (a good thing) and ironic that it happened in the rarest of situation when ownership actually decided to stop being conservative for a change.

Shame about the O. Amazing how a city can get it so wrong in one way, and so right in another. Watching an Als game in McGill is a top notch fan experience. Possibly the best football stadia experience in the CFL.