RE 14-15 DAVID PERRON: COYOTE

David Perron was a delight, a true revelation in his first year as an Oiler. A fanbase used to seeing smallish forwards weave and dangle and fall in a heap—suddenly exposed to an agitating winger with some swagger, attitude and the ability to create chaos and outrage on the other side. Well, it was love at first sight.

DAVID PERRON 13-14

• 5×5 points per 60: 1.96 (3rd among regular forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 3.71 (5th among regular forwards)
  • Qual Comp: 3rd toughest among regular forwards (top line opp)
  • Qual Team: 11th best teammates among regular forwards (4line linemates)
  • Corsi Rel: 6.9 (best among regular forwards)
  • Corsi for % 5×5: 45.7
  • Corsi for % Rel 5×5: +2.5
  • Zone Start: 48.9% (7th easiest among regular forwards)
  • Zone Finish: 45.7% (6th best among regular forwards)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 220/12.7% (2nd among F’s>100 shots)
  • Boxcars: 78, 28-29-57

This is a fine season by an established NHL player.  More please! A solid 5×5/60 in points and he had a solid Corsi Rel too (the team itself was a mess, that’s the problem) and of course buddy shoots the puck (220 shots on goal, and many from Laredo).

VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER (CORSI REL)

hall sledge corsi rel

We’re doing Rel this year because a sea of brown and red isn’t much to look at (or learn from—the Oilers were bad as a team at possession). Perron played some tough opps and he didn’t get the zone start push others did—or more accurately he did at times but was forced into lesser offensive roles at times. That’s a nice shade of blue there, David Perron.

RE 13-14 REVIEW

PPG NAME GP G A PTS
.638 DAVID PERRON 13-14 RE 69 20 24 44
.731 DAVID PERRON 13-14 ACTUAL 78 28 29 57

RE 14-15 PROJECTION

PPG NAME GP G A PTS
.736 DAVID PERRON 14-15 RE 72 24 29 53
  DAVID PERRON 14-15 ACTUAL
  1. Your RE is compost. Thanks, glad you liked it.
  2. Hall gets all the glory and screw the French guy, eh? My RE’s are based on three seasons. Perron had a terrific year, and I hope he has another. That said, there’s every chance he’s going to get a less effective (offensively) center and that has an impact.
  3. Too conservative. We’ll see. I’ll make you a deal: If the Oilers trade for a better option for 2line C between now and opening night, we’ll revisit the subject.
  4. How many goals did the top two lines score last year? Hall-Nuge-Eberle scored 74 goals, Gagner-Perron-Yakupov scored 49.
  5. How did the two lines do at EV strength? Nuge line 53 goals, Gagner line 35 goals. Perron had 19 EV goals, same as Patrick Kane.
  6. And he played with Yak and Perron all season? Perron’s WOWY tells us he played most 5×5 with Gagner (459 minutes), RNH (277), Hall (254), Smyth (207) and Eberle (202). He also played Gordon (195), Yakupov (176), Arcobello (158). But he played a lot with 89, I’m surprised it’s so much (about 40% of his total playing time 5×5). He got 37% of his 5×5 offense while playing with Gagner and 39% of his shots with 89. Graph is here.
  7. So, how well did he play with Arcobello? Corsi for 52.8% 5×5, far better than without, but it’s a small sample size. We can’t consider it reliable. He scored 1.14/60 with Arco as his center, compared to 1.83 with Gagner. Again, small sample size but that scoring total matches our bias.
  8. When did he start to emerge as a quality player on the team? At the very start. Eakins in September: “Boy I think we got a lot. We’ve got a guy who can score, competes hard, he’s not afraid to get his nose dirty, we’ve let him loose on the penalty kill a little as well, I think we’ve got a well rounded player.”
  9. What makes him so good? The great thing about getting to see a new hire for a season is all the nuance you didn’t know about before. Perron is a sneaky offensive player, shooting from everywhere, making deft passes, wrist shots through a crowd, he’s always creating offense from a piece of string and a paper clip.
  10. So he’s MacGyver? Kind of, yes. There are miles of examples of Perron shooting from a silly angle and scoring, or shooting on the off beat on a play. I suspect goalies despise him because they have to watch him so closely. He’s also always around the net. Very fine player.
  11. Can he play left or right wing? Either or, I didn’t really notice a difference. Perron just kept on ticking all year long, drawing penalties and impacting the offense.
  12. Any specific plays you remember? I don’t remember the team, but he and Gagner were doing curls to the left of the net (Rangers?) and nothing really was happening. The defenseman had position and Gagner circled to see the view but there was nothing. He passed to Perron in the corner, who did the same curl, saw nothing, and then sent the trickiest little shot through a screen and beat the goalie (not clean mind you, the goalie got most of it). Something out of absolutely nothing, Perron did it many times this year.
  13. What kind of center would you like for Perron? I think there’s a wide range of skills here (as Eakins suggested) so a two-way type with enough offensive skill to move the needle. I’d like him to have some speed, and the ability to get back if the line is pinned deep on a jailbreak. I have suggested Cody Eakin in Dallas as a good fit for Edmonton, that’s the kind of two-way player I want for the Perron line in 2014-15.
  14. Is he a good mentor for Yakupov? The duo had terrible Corgis together, but did score 5×5, with Perron (2.38) trailing Yakupov (2.72). That’s a nice number, but they both spent buckets of time with Gagner who is a creative center. Their Corsi together wasn’t strong, so I’m thinking a guy like Eakin—who is not Gagner’s equal offensively but can play better positionally—might solve lots of problems and let the wingers wheel.
  15. So you’re happy with Perron? THRILLED with Perron. The best trade by an Oilers GM in many moons. Better than expected by a wide margin.
  16. Why this song? It’s the perfect song for Perron. The coyote is unavoidable, you can hear him from your living room at night, he’s calling just to let you know he’s there. And the coyote will NOT play by the rules (“Now he’s got a woman at home, He’s got another woman down the hall, He seems to want me anyway“) and impossible to tame (“Coyote’s in the coffee shop, He’s staring a hole in his scrambled eggs, He picks up my scent on his fingers, While he’s watching the waitresses’ legs“).
  17. That song is about sex! It’s Joni Mitchell, you’re going to have to get used to it.
  18. So he’s outside the lines? Yes. A lot of Perron’s game is defying convention, shooting from behind the net, getting the other guy off his game, shooting late, not avoiding the goalie, hooking on the back check. He’s a real ass. Love the guy. Coyote.
  19. Anything you’re worried about? A couple of things. He was absolutely healthy this past season, here’s hoping he can do it again—that’ll make three healthy seasons in a row.
  20. What else? I worry they’ll trade him. The Bill Torrey-Al Arbour rule is “get good players, keep good players” and it’s important to keep the men who flourish in Edmonton. Perron is such a player. I know his trade value has increased since arrival, that doesn’t mean cash him in. David Perron is central to the success of that second line, and may be an important figure in the development of Nail Yakupov. Either way, he’s a fine player signed to a wonderful contract. I hope he remains for the good times.

134 Responses to "RE 14-15 DAVID PERRON: COYOTE"

1. Hammers says:

#20 is what I have been thinking as well .Hopefully McT keeps him but he could be exactly the player asked for to get a decent 2nd line “C” . Interesting you dropped his goals but not assists . I thought the other way as in 30 goals a 20 assists . Your insight on these players reminds me of a card shark always looking for tells .

2. Jesse says:

I believe it was a pre-season game against the Rangers — Perron scored two different tip-in goals. Then that game against New Jersey back when I still believed in happiness where Perron scored off the faceoff late in the game (to tie it up?). It did not take long, he was a hit in my books.

That New Jersey game might have been the high point of last season for me. Still had hope for the season, a brilliant comeback, sawing off the Corgis against the Devils. Reminded me of the LA game where Yak scored with 5 seconds left. Made you believe anything could happen with the team in front of you.

3. gogliano says:

Why do the RE:s go LW-C-RW instead of C-LW-RW?

Love Perron but I don’t think he is a fit at C.

4. OF17 says:

I honestly think that Perron might be the Oilers’ Patrick Sharp. He has obviously yet to reach Sharp’s level, but there are a lot of similarities in that both were bought low, both provide good offense and good defense, and both aren’t afraid to mix it up when need be. Perron will need to take the next step offensively to reach Sharp’s level, but even if he doesn’t, he’s still from that “ideal support for star forwards” tree.

The last time an acquisition felt this good was either the Visnovsky for Stoll and Greene trade or the Souray signing. Grabbing an awesome, well-rounded player for relatively little. The Pronger trade is obviously still the crown jewel of the last 15+ years, but the Perron trade is in that group of 4 or 5 really nice moves.

5. FTO says:

Holy shit, anyone else see the leafs fire Nonis/Poulin and add Kyle Dubas as assistant GM???

Edit…
    I mean Claude Loiselle instead of nonis

6. OF17 says:

Hammers:

I think that drafting Draisaitl has saved us from that. I think that that has played a big role in MacT’s patience on the center front this summer. If we had drafted Ekblad, for instance, I doubt that we’d still have all of Nurse, Klefbom, and Marincin in the system, and I can only imagine that one of them would’ve been either packaged up or traded straight across for a mid-aged center ready to play. Why sell the farm for an O’Reilly type acquisition (not saying that that package would get O’Reilly, just some sort of long-term and expensive acquisition) when realistically you’re only weak at center for the next 1-2 years? Having 3 centers signed long-term at $5 million plus is probably less than appealing too given the salary on our wings. In that sense, I think Perron is safe. The only way I see him leaving is if there are concerns about signing him or if there’s a trade for a #1D that has to include Perron to work.

All that said, I think the RE are pretty on point. Scoring at about the same rate as last season, cut a few points and games for injury. Looks good.

7. wheatnoil says:

FTO:

Edit…
    I mean Claude Loiselle instead of nonis

Damn… that’s a good hire by the Leafs. Dubas is absurdly young but Sault Ste Marie is a well managed OHL team. They also use a lot of fancy stats… will be interesting to see if he can sway Nonis at all.

Edit: I guess I’m unsure if it’s the coaches or the GM (Dubas) that has been pushing the fancy stats. Either way, the Soo have done well since Dubas took over.

gogliano:
    Why do the RE:s go LW-C-RW instead of C-LW-RW?

Love Perron but I don’t think he is a fit at C.

I start with the highest scorer (Hall) then run through the top players at the position. Then move on the 2nd highest scorer, run his position through, etc. I don’t really have a set rotation, the idea is to surprise you.

9. justDOit says:

It gets better when you remember that all of Perron’s concussion issues were the result of an elbow to the head. Yes, it could happen again (especially considering hit tick-like behavior on the ice), but it’s not like he has a habit of crossing the offensive blue line with his head down.

Get Perrons – keep Perrons. Why does that make me think of District 9…

10. bendelson says:

During the first half of the season I was wondering how he was getting the benefit of so many calls from the referees…

The second half do the season, I was wondering why they were picking on him.

He takes a lot of penalties and he draws just as many.
    Always walking that line.

Fun player.

11. Oilanderp says:

I got a little adrenaline rush when I saw the headline of this article and my brain jumped to the conclusion that there was a trade between Edmonton and Arizona…

Qual Comp: 3rd toughest among regular forwards (top line opp)
    Qual Team: 11th best teammates among regular forwards (4line linemates)

Am I misunderstanding this? Perron played top line opposition while skating with fourth line teammates? How is this possible?

12. Pouzar says:

Oilanderp,

Me too….shat my pants.

13. nycoil says:

Yet another summary of the Sobotka situation.
    It really looks like Sobotka got bad advice. He changed agents twice in the days leading up to this move and I think he must have been told if he went to the KHL for a year, he could be an UFA upon his return. Now he has painted himself into a bad, bad corner. Owing the Blues a year at a salary of $2.725M, about half of what he makes in the KHL after taxes, while clearly being a lame duck who doesn’t want to be there.

LT, an article at Sports Illustrated online stated Sobotka had an out-clause for this summer as well, but sounds like he is already in Russia and is playing at least this year over there. Definitely makes a trade for one of the St. Louis centres unlikely.

14. nycoil says:

Oilanderp,

He played the most minutes with Gagner, who was atrocious? I don’t know, just a shot in the dark.

Oilanderp:

Am I misunderstanding this?Perron played top line opposition while skating with fourth line teammates?How is this possible?

During a season, he would play with multiple combinations of players and against varying opponents. He spent significant time with Gagner, but also with Arcobello and guys like Yak and Smyth. I wouldn’t say that’s fourth line help, but he lined up that way on the depth chart.

16. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Any thoughts on how this effects Nurse?

I’m guessing it won’t at all… but, was extremely confident with Nurse in Dubas’ hands… now, I’d pause and think about it.

17. Oilanderp says:

Madness! That creates a certain slant of light that makes him look even better!

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Any thoughts on how this effects Nurse?

19. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Darnell Nurse ‏@drtwofive 1m
    Huge congrats to @kyledubas on his new job in Toronto! Could not have been luckier to be a part of the program he ran these past 3 years!!

20. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: I think the Oilers are probably going to ‘wait and see’ at training camp with Nurse, Marincin and Klefbom. If Nurse plays well enough, they’ll give him 9 games with one of the other guys on the farm. If all three play well? I expect Jeff Petry’s days are numbered.

I think that’s the case at any rate… just wondering if they would even have a conversation about the Dubas situation.

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Darnell Nurse ‏@drtwofive1m

This is a massive earthquake in the center of the hockey universe.

Out Louiselle and Poulin – Old school “hockey men”

Should be interesting to watch in the next couple of years.

Guarantee it was Shanny’s hiring and not Nonis.

22. Marcus Oilerius says:

FTO:

Edit…
    I mean Claude Loiselle instead of nonis

Dammit, the Leafs may actually be a smart franchise now.

I also had no idea he was so young. I looked at TSN and thought “who is this goof? Did the Leafs promote their own Tom Gazzola into a management role?!” Then I read the name…

23. Marcus Oilerius says:

Woodguy

Guarantee it was Shanny’s hiring and not Nonis.

Poor Pierre. You just know he was a leading contender for the job. He had all the cliches.

I think you’re right about this being Shanahan’s hire and not Nonis. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is a chance to get a feel for Dubas, get him some experience and contacts in the NHL, and then potentially replace Nonis.

24. Pouzar says:

Woodguy: This is a massive earthquake in the center of the hockey universe.Out Louiselle and Poulin – Old school “hockey men”In – Kyle Dubas – 28 year old GM of Soo Greyhounds who is a huge proponent of possession hockey and fancy stats.My guess is that distain of fancystat by many of the MSM will be in full retreat since the Holiest of Holy Leafs suddenly may be on the leading edge of the fancystats movement.Not leading edge actually, but by hiring Dubas they go from the Stone Age to the Space Age in one move.Should be interesting to watch in the next couple of years.Guarantee it was Shanny’s hiring and not Nonis.

Steve Simmons puked in his corn flakes AGAIN.

25. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: This is a massive earthquake in the center of the hockey universe.

Out Louiselle and Poulin – Old school “hockey men”

Should be interesting to watch in the next couple of years.

Guarantee it was Shanny’s hiring and not Nonis.

And it frees up Burke to hire his old buddy Nonis (who has literally/figuratively followed Burke around to every professional hockey job he has ever held) for Calgary. Maybe he can get Treliving’s coffee and pick up the drycleaning.

The best thing about the Dubas hire? It was in Toronto, not Calgary.

27. bucknuck says:

I saw the title, and thought Perron was traded to the Coyotes… and I was angry. Not curious, not wondering what came the other way, not even irritated.

An agitator in the top nine is something the Oilers have been missing since forever and I am so happy he is an OIler. Nice article LT, naughty title.

28. Marcus Oilerius says:

Pouzar: Steve Simmons puked in his corn flakes AGAIN.

Steve Simmons Twitter:

If people paint this hire as analytics only, they are inaccurate. Dubas was hired because is keen hockey eye and stats man: A rare double.

29. FTO says:

Oh I totally agree, i’m not too sure i’d have been able to handle that.

The thing about Simmons tweet there is that NO ONE EVER suggested otherwise, and to frame the man as being a rare double is a very unfair indictment of other hockey people who have knowledge, the ability to see, and also use analytics.

Steve Simmons isn’t helping.

31. Pouzar says:

Marcus Oilerius: Steve Simmons Twitter:

At least he cleaned himself up first.

32. nycoil says:

Since we’re on the subject:

Edit- I am not advocating/endorsing this writer’s opinion. Just sharing.

33. justDOit says:

The best thing about the Dubas hire? It was in Toronto, not Calgary.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    TI (truculence index) and BEL/60 (belligerences/60min) are all the fancy stats Burkie needs. My biggest fear however, is that he’s building a Goner for Connor team down the QE.

34. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: Guarantee it was Shanny’s hiring and not Nonis.

S Simmons who seemed to have the drop on the move, tweeted something big was coming right prior

steve simmonsVerified account
    ‏@simmonssteve
    Heads up: There’s something brewing with the Maple Leafs today. Expect an announcement of significance sometime today.

then said explicitly it was a Shanahan move

steve simmons @simmonssteve · 1h
    This was a Brendan Shanahan move, his first significant front office hire. There will likely be another assistant GM hired.

35. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Also… some a guessing that the Soo coach (Sheldon Keefe) might also go to the Leafs as an assistant.

A full clearance could be huge (in a negative way) for Soo and Darnell.

36. Pouzar says:

Fire Nonis, give the keys to the new Theo Epstein and watch the SC parade in T.O.

37. nycoil says:

This article on the subject makes it clear this was Shanny’s hire

Money section:

During a May interview with ESPN The Magazine, Dubas shared some of his philosophy, one that is a departure from the way the Maple Leafs have played.

“It’s not any secret if you watch our team you’ll begin to see it clearly we don’t really dump the puck in,” Dubas said. “We want our players to solve problems and make plays with the puck. … One-hundred years of history will show you that the best way [to score goals] is to outshoot teams and get more shot attempts.”

38. nycoil says:

Simmons and others may spin this hire as a “rare dual” guy or whatever, but fact is, the “centre of the (hockey) universe” just got shaken to its core regardless of how you look at it. It’s huge news.

39. belcolt91 says:

If Perron can do 1.83 with Gagner posting a 43% Corsi, would it be reasonable to expect Arco to post better than 1.14 with more time, possibly even closer to that 1.83, considering that 52% Corsi and his overall possession numbers? I know Gagner is an established offensive center, but based on Arco’s AHL numbers and his start to the year, I feel like he can boost that number with some extensive time with Perron on his wing.

40. nycoil says:

lisa dillman ‏@reallisa 3m
    Terms for Vatanen deal – $1,250,000 and $1,275,000

Can MacT please use him as a Schultz comparable? Ha ha, I kid, but not really.

41. Marcus Oilerius says:

A bit of humor stolen from PPP on the Loiselle firing: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BtKCw9aCUAEmSQS.jpg

42. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

So is it impossible to orchestrate a trade of Nurse to the Oil Kings (between the CHL leagues)?

If MacT was to suggest to the new GM of the Hounds, that he’ll keep Nurse in the NHL if the Soo was seen to be worse off for the loss of GM and possible coach, they’ll be faced with a ‘trade him or loose him’ scenario.

belcolt91:

44. Marcus Oilerius says:

justDOit,

Can’t trade players between leagues. You can waive a player and he can be picked up in another league, but the original league has first dibs.

Also, Dubas will be involved in hiring his replacement. It’s not like SSM hit rock bottom, and I think it’s unlikely that the Leafs hire the coach this year. They just extended Carlyle and they just signed Horachek as his assistant.

45. justDOit says:

Marcus Oilerius,

Thx. I would hope that the Soo have some plan for continuity within the org, but if the coach was plucked as well (as hinted), that team could suffer as a result.

46. belcolt91 says:

Fair enough. The biggest factor would be if they pick up that C. If not, he’s getting those at-bats, and a whole lot of them. Atleast if they do, based on Friedman’s comments, Draisatl will be going back to junior.

47. Hammers says:

Lowetide: The concern is Arco’s offensive ability. It isn’t established yet, and we know he’s too good for the AHL but that’s miles from being what we’re talking about here. I like Arco, cheer like hell for him, believe he could do it but am not certain he can. And the big point is this: Does Edmonton give him 500 at-bats to prove/disprove?

Hammers: I still expect another deal ,probably a trade so Arco may end up being the replacement for Leon . My gut says Leon goes back unless he really knocks it out of the park . So we have RNH / ??? / Arcobello / Gordon with Lander on the wing . That’s why I still feel a player like Perron is the trade chip .

I think they make a trade, and the odd man out will be Lander. That’s what my RE will suggest, anyway (although he is included because the club hasn’t added anyone). Something like:

Nuge
    Eakin
    Draisaitl
    Gordon
    Arco (also RW)

49. Lois Lowe says:

God I hate Steve Simmons so much. It will be less than a year before he’s some sort of analytics ‘expert’ and revising history to show himself on the right side of it.

The Marlies coach (Spott) and assistant are the new Leafs assistants.

Gord Dineen (Kevin’s brother) has already been hired as the new Marlies coach.

I think Keefe is still fairly new at coaching. Probably needs more years before taking the AHL step.

The Greyhounds probably cannot collapse as an organization in one year. As long as Keefe stays around to coach, that is probably the key thing for Nurse and the Greyhounds.

51. Marcus Oilerius says:

I really feel like Lander is on the cusp of putting it all together. Trading him is a move we’d regret, IMO.

1st line RW’s are earning $8 miiiion (Kessel, Perry, Kane, Ovechkin) and up already. Semin is earning $7 million. Callaghen basically $6.

The Oilers will only be able to afford to keep Perron if Yakupov is a bust.

53. B S says:

Thought this might be relevant to current RE series:

Can’t wait to see who you give #1 to.

B S:
    Thought this might be relevant to current RE series:

Can’t wait to see who you give #1 to.

55. John Chambers says:

godot10,

Lupul’s $5.2M contract, Cammalleri’s $5M, Vrbata’s $5M, Moulson’s $5M are probably the correct range.

Justin Williams at $3.25, and Clarke MacArthur (same) represent the low bar, while Semin and Callahan represent the outliers, however one has multiple 30 goal seasons, while the other’s leadership intangibles are highly valued.

I think the Oilers could give Perron term (5-6 years) and easily have him signed for $5.5M or less, especially if he likes his teammates and the city.

56. 106 and 106 says:

godot10,

That depends on the cap raise in the next few years and with the wonder-kids on somewhat value contracts (comparing Eberle at $6MM vs. Kane at $8MM) for the next while, I wouldn’t write it off yet.

57. John Chambers says:

Marcus Oilerius,

A possible comparable for Lander is Oakland’s Josh Donaldson.

In limited plate appearances as an August / September call-up Donaldson was a bust despite hitting above .300 as a power-hitter in AAA. They call this type of player a AAAA player – too good for the minors but unable to excel against major-league pitching.

Anyhow, Billy Beane realized that players don’t hit the sweet spot of their careers until about age 25 or 26 and decided to give Donaldson another crack. Last year he hit .301 and mashed 24 dingers.

Lander probably needs a full season in the National Hockey League to know what we really have. I agree with Eakins that he’ll have to play 4th line Centre, 2nd line Centre, right wing, enforcer, etc, but my guess is that he finds his groove as an NHL player of some caliber this year, even if it is as a depth forward.

John Chambers:
    godot10,

We are talking the salary scale two year into the future, not two years into the past, which will be ancient history.

106 and 106:
    godot10,

Kane is over $10 million not $8 milliion.

In two years, 2nd line wingers who can put up 20 something goals and 50 something points will be starting at $6 million for UFA years.

60. justDOit says:

B S:
    Thought this might be relevant to current RE series:

Can’t wait to see who you give #1 to.

What – no Queen City Kids, Kick Axe or Helix on that list? Pfft….

I’m kidding of course. Interesting to look at the regional breakdown, where Nova Scotia produced 6 of the top 100, and would maybe have 3% of the population of Canada. Nothing else to do, Nova Scotians? Keep it up then!

61. Numenius says:

Anyone see this on Draisaitl?

They key info is this:

“Draisaitl said an average week for him contains work with a skating instructor Mondays and Wednesdays and off-ice training five days a week. He said there’s two areas in particular he’s looking to improve.
    ‘My skating and my game away from the puck,’ he said. ‘I know what I’m able to do with the puck and what I’m capable of offensively, but [making the Oilers] will come down to my play away from the puck, and I need to get quicker and play faster.’ ”

Good to hear he’s working on those two things and getting professional assistance with the skating.

62. B S says:

Lowetide: Won’t open for me, but suspect it won’t be on my RE series. I don’t have a lot of the ‘hits’ on the list.

Odd that it won’t open for you. *River was #23, so at least a fair portion of Canada shares some of your good taste in music.* #1 is Both Sides Now. No need to say whether it’s on the list, that’s always part of the fun of the series.

justDOit: What – no Queen City Kids, Kick Axe or Helix on that list? Pfft….

Kick Axe is Canadian? Jeeze, it’s like when a friend of mine had a wedding (to an American) and wanted as many songs as possible to be secretly Canadian, just so that he could pull the traditional “oh, did you know they’re Canadian?” line all night.

*edited to add*

63. Numenius says:

godot10
    106 and 106:

—–
    Kane is over $10 million not $8 milliion.

Huh? Kane is at $5.25 AAV, ending one year before Eberle’s contract.

64. wheatnoil says:

godot10:
    Perron is not going to be value for money when the Oilers are a competitive team.He is going to be a $6-$7 million dollar player on his next contract in two years, which will be the going rate for a 2nd line winger.

1st line RW’s are earning $8 miiiion (Kessel, Perry, Kane, Ovechkin) and up already.Semin is earning $7 million.Callaghen basically $6.

The Oilers will only be able to afford to keep Perron if Yakupov is a bust.

I think, among the number of things an Oiler fan can worry about, there are much more acute things that we have a clearer picture on then if Perron will continue to be a value contract in 2016. I agree that he might not be. That doesn’t change the fact that he is now.

65. RexLibris says:

OT, but HA! American sports media exercising a bit of our familiar “those foreigners just don’t understand the game like we do” storytelling.

An excerpt quoting Jason Whitlock speaking about Canadian NBA players: “This is what a lot of NBA people believe that American-born and even some of the European-born players, they have more intensity, more of a hunger for the game. They’re not as laid back”

See, Schultz isn’t a lollygagger, he’s just a Canadian basketball player in a hockey player’s body.

Numenius: Huh? Kane is at $5.25 AAV, ending one year before Eberle’s contract.

On which planet do you live?

Patrick Kane is on the last year of a contract signed 4 years ago for $6.5 million per season (of which 4 of the 5 were RFA years), which ratchets up to $10.5 next season (UFA years only)).

67. Pouzar says:

Numenius: Huh? Kane is at $5.25 AAV, ending one year before Eberle’s contract.

Patrick Kane.

68. RexLibris says:

wheatnoil: There’s a lot of guess work here. We don’t know what the cap will be in 2 years (we can guess, but a lot can change in the financial markets and the Canadian dollar in two years). We don’t know what the Oilers cap situation will be (though we know Nuge, Hall, and Eberle’s cap hit, if they’re still with the team… there’s no guarantees). We don’t know how competitive or not the Oilers will be. We don’t know if Perron would even want to resign. We don’t know if he did, if he’d be in the situation where he’d take a discount to stay or not. We don’t know if he’d extend in one year’s time and not come close to testing the UFA market. We don’t know how Yakupov will progress. We don’t know if Perron will be traded or if Yakupov will be traded as part of a package for a stud D. We don’t know how guys like Chase, Khaira, or Yakimov will progress. We don’t know if the Oilers will be in a position where they can flip one of their fine young D for a fine young F to replace Perron in 2 years and so can let him go and replace him internally.

But as I have argued previously in this forum and others, if the worst problem the Oilers have is trying to sign too much talent under a salary cap, then I think we should be thankful.

If that ever does happen, we should start a twitter handle #OilersProblems, an obvious nod to http://first-world-problems.com/#sthash.RH3hA7Pd.dpbs

69. RexLibris says:

Pouzar: Patrick Kane.

Citizen Kane.

70. wheatnoil says:

RexLibris: Sooooo, what you’re saying is that we have a lot of known unknowns in this situation.

I can’t wait for the day that the Oilers can pay market value for free agents. If Perron wants to stay without an overpay, then great! Rebuild over!

71. Pouzar says:

Fayne says he is “renting” this year. HE WANTS OUT!!!!!

72. B S says:

RexLibris: Citizen Kane.

Rosebud

73. wheatnoil says:

RexLibris: Citizen Kane.

Michael Caine.

74. B S says:

RexLibris:

Tell them it was invented by a Canadian and watch their heads explode.

75. John Chambers says:

godot10,

I agree with your point about salaries going up commensurate with the cap. However, if the cap is at $80M in two years, that’s only just above 15% higher than a $69M cap, meaning it would represent an increase of $750k over the contracts Moulson, Cammalleri, and Radim Vrbata just signed.

Perron’s closest equivalents right now are probably Brad Marchand, Wayne Simmonds, Jakub Voracek, Patric Hornqvist, and our very own Theodore H Purcell.

I think the Oilers happily dig in for $5.5M over term provided that Perron looks anything like he did in ’13-’14, and Purcell is here for a good time not a long time.

76. FastOil says:

John Chambers:
    godot10,

Ding ding ding ding

77. justDOit says:

Pouzar,

78. wheatnoil says:

Another point on the Perron acquisition last year… At the time of the trade MacT specifically mentioned that Perron was a player that the analytics liked. I wonder if Perron’s success (and the failure of guys like Fraser) has helped sway him towards some of the signings we’ve seen this off-season.

That said… he was also apparently in on Engelland. Saved by Burke! Bless you Brian… how I love that you’re in Calgary!

RexLibris: want to resign. We don’t know if he did, if he’d be in the situation where he’d take a discount to stay or not. We don’t know if he’d extend in one year’s time and not come close to testing the UFA market. We don’t know how Yakupov will progress. We don’t know if Perron will be traded or if Yakupov will be traded as part of a package for a stud D. We don’t know how guys like Chase, Khaira, or Yakimov will progress. We don’t know if the Oilers will be in a position where they can flip one of their fine young D for a fine young F to replace Perron in 2 years and so can let him go and replace him internally.

godot10:

The Oilers will only be able to afford to keep Perron if Yakupov is a bust.

Just like Hall and Eberle will never sign long term for less than $7MM right?

81. Pouzar says:

justDOit: Pouzar, Probably all that extra tax he’s paying in Alberta. He might be able to afford something in 2016.

LOL…I believe NJ is one of highest taxed States in the U.S. is it not?

82. B S says:

Woodguy: I hope Matty, Terry Jones and every Canadian MSM who every wrote about “enigmatic Russians” read that piece by Whitlock and realize just how fucking stupid they sound.

Has anyone posted it on their twitter yet? Maybe post it alongside one of their rants on picking up a european player.

Woodguy: Just like Hall and Eberle will never sign long term for less than $7MM right?

Well I was right. Hall’s agents were wrong.

84. justDOit says:

Pouzar,

Ah, but maybe he could have signed with the Perds or Dallas and saved big!

85. nycoil says:

I will take a dispassionate, soft German on my team any time. Yeah, they are so soft every four years at the Olympics and World Cups.

86. bigbadbruin24 says:

*Looks around nervously*

Perron and a 4th for Yandle and Samuelsson.

Source = “LT’s photo / headline” and “2 + 2 = 4″

*Runs away*

87. Pouzar says:

David Booth to the Leafs…1 yr deal

88. justDOit says:

bigbadbruin24,

Hockey math: 2 + 2 = 22

89. Pouzar says:

39 minutes ago

tsnscottcullen: “The overly sensitive analytic community will hail the hiring of Dubas as a great victory for their world.” http://t.co/NndGLSJHoU

36 minutes ago

tsnscottcullen: Now, who comes across as more than a little sensitive here when it comes to discussing Mikhail Grabovski: http://t.co/ahad8Yp09f

90. commonfan14 says:

godot10: Perron is not going to be value for money when the Oilers are a competitive team. He is going to be a $6-$7 million dollar player on his next contract in two years, which will be the going rate for a 2nd line winger.
    The Oilers will only be able to afford to keep Perron if Yakupov is a bust.

91. Marcus Oilerius says:

The way Shanahan talks about Dubas in that press conference, and the discernible lack of talk about Nonis (or the lack of his presence), the fact that the hire of an AGM is such a big deal… yeah… I’m pretty sure Nonis is polishing up his resume.

92. Numenius says:

godot10: Numenius: Huh? Kane is at $5.25 AAV, ending one year before Eberle’s contract.

On which planet do you live?

My bad. Was just reading something on Evander and brain didn’t make the transition.

93. RexLibris says:

wheatnoil: Michael Caine.

Candye Kane.

*Don’t google it. Trust me!

94. RexLibris says:

You underestimate the human mind’s capacity for cognitive dissonance and compartmentalization of data.

Too bad this wasn’t done mid-season. It’d be wonderful (in a Through-the-Looking-Glass kind of way) to see Don Cherry go ape over a report like this.

95. Numenius says:

godot10: Well I was right.Hall’s agents were wrong.

Hall was right. Hall wants to win and knows he won’t if his salary cripples the team.

The Blackhawks are f’d after this year with Kane’s and Toews’ contracts. The cap will never rise enough to compensate (or by the time it does, they’ll be old and decrepit).

96. RexLibris says:

OPENING NIGHTS, THEN AND NOW http://oilersnation.com/2014/7/22/opening-nights-then-and-now

You are right. Renney does have a decent lawsuit there.

97. justDOit says:

Pouzar:
    39 minutes ago

98. RexLibris says:

Pouzar:
    39 minutes ago

36 minutes ago

RexLibris: Candye Kane.

*Don’t google it. Trust me!

100. RexLibris says:

justDOit: Uhrggg!!! When did Bill O’Reilly change his name to Steve, and start doing sports radio? That was beyond awful, below craptacular, and deserving of a pink slip.

That is more or less what I wrote at the time I heard it.

Simmons uses the same rhetorical techniques found in many media outlets when a guest is brought on to provide a target for rampant editorializing disguised as dialogue. Pay attention to the timing, Simmons cuts him off repeatedly and takes the argument in a variety of different directions because keeping the guest off-guard and without a response gives the impression that there is no response to be given.

I’d call Simmons a sophist, but I think that would be giving him too much credit.

101. bendelson says:

Pouzar: Now, who comes across as more than a little sensitive here when it comes to discussing Mikhail Grabovski: http://t.co/ahad8Yp09f

Thanks for the link. I had not heared that ‘conversation’. Steve Simmonds is a laugh riot.

Should Perron put a 30-30 season together (not unreasonable if Leon is actually ready or Arco goes mini-supernova) then you a likely correct. Unfortunately, nobody around here wants to hear about the Oilers not be able to sign Perron in two years. Too painful I guess.

102. G Money says:

commonfan14: Plus Ovechkin signed a $9.5 million deal that included multiple RFA years back in 2008, so 1st line wingers have to be earning at least $17 million per UFA year by now.

This has become one of my favourite non-memes of the Lowetide world.

Godot making outlandishly rigid statements and predictions about salary using absolutist language.

Then when the real world proves him wrong? “I was right. [Player or Player's Agent] was wrong”.

I’m convinced Godot is a member of the Republican Party.

103. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: One of the best things about being over 50? Life has taught me to listen to advice like this, instead of rushing in and then regretting it.

You could just enable safe search if you wanted to check out her album covers. But sometimes caution is the wise elder brother of curiosity.

104. justDOit says:

RexLibris,

I didn’t know who that guy was until today.

And it’s stuff like this that keeps me away from talk/sports radio in general – excepting of course for some rational and interesting LT, streamed on the intertubes!

Think I’ll go click that Candye Kane link now, to try and forget that idiot Simmonds.

105. Pouzar says:

RexLibris: And if, or perhaps when, the Leafs sputter the fault will likely be put on the young Dubas, deserving or otherwise. Media may revel in his hiring today, but given the opportunity there are many who would gleefully write a chapter about the inevitable downfall of Analytics as a cause celebre amongst the unwashed masses who dared to challenge the authority of the established gatekeepers of hockey wisdom.

With each loss Steve Simmons will pen the “I told you so” article.

106. wheatnoil says:

I’m torn about the Dubas hiring. On one hand, it is hilarious to watch the Leafs struggle. On the other hand, if the Leafs can actually start putting together a competitive team, maybe the East will start getting a little stronger, which would help the Oilers in the long run.

Either way, what a fantastic success story for Dubas. Only 28 years old and assistant GM of the Maple Leafs! Good on him!

107. RexLibris says:

Pouzar: With each loss Steve Simmons will pen the “I told you so” article.

He’s free to do so, obviously. And while I am interested to see what Dubas brings to the Leafs at this point and hope he has a good career in management, I know enough not to crow about this too loudly.

Ever see Charlie Wilson’s War? The final scene about the Zen Master and the little boy. “We’ll see”

108. RexLibris says:

justDOit:
    RexLibris,

I didn’t know who that guy was until today.

SAFE SEARCH!!!….eh, too late, he’s already gone.

;)

109. justDOit says:

RexLibris: SAFE SEARCH!!!….eh, too late, he’s already gone.

Hey – she plays the bongos… biiiiiiiiiiiiiig bongos… wait…

Steve who, now?

110. Marcus Oilerius says:

Looks like the Coyotes saga may not be over.

Weiers, who voted against the deal that kept the hockey team in Glendale, said he believes the meeting violated the Arizona’s Open Meeting Law and revealed key information to the Coyotes about the city’s negotiating position.

“I think it’s a clear violation,” he said. “That meeting is wrong on so many levels. It’s like playing poker and showing your opponents all your cards.”

Violations of the Open Meeting Law can rescind actions taken by elected officials, which could potentially void Glendale’s deal with the team, which was then called the Phoenix Coyotes.

And…

Needless to say, the accused are denying the existence of this meeting, although The Arizona Republic obtained an e-mail that sure has the look of a smoking gun.

In the e-mail, Council member Gary Sherwood tells fellow Councilman Manny Martinez that he “spent over an hour with Nick Woods last night”. Woods is IceArizona’s attorney.

Sherwood also mentions another councillor that was there, then tells Manny to delete the e-mail after he’s read it, which seems suspicious for a correspondence that’s on the level.

111. FastOil says:

Booth would have made a pretty good 4RW at that salary.

112. JonyPro says:

Is it just me or has the text size on my mobile gotten a lot smaller on these articles?

godot10: Well I was right.Hall’s agents were wrong.

I don’t disagree with that.

That’s why we can’t assume “top of the market” for these players in the future.

Everyone underestimates the power of inertia.

Nobody likes to move.

114. "Steve Smith" says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Any thoughts on how this effects Nurse?

I see what you did there.

(You used “effect” as a verb. Incorrectly.)

115. Marc says:

B S:
    Thought this might be relevant to current RE series:

Can’t wait to see who you give #1 to.

I’ve just spent a very enjoyable couple of hours going through that list. A few quibbles (given that that is what lists like this are for):
    - I couldn’t name a Justin Bieber song, but given that he’s been one of the most successful artists in the entire world over the last decade, he should probably be on the list somewhere
    - There’s some east coast bias in favour of the Halifax indie scene and against the Vancouver scene from the same period. No Spirit of the West? No Grapes of Wrath? Really? And if you’re going to put a Sloan song in the top 25 it should be Underwhelmed
    - Courage should have been the second Hip song, not Nautical Disaster. Nautical Disaster is one of dozen great, great Hip songs, but Courage goes to the very soul of the most Canadian of Canadian bands

116. theres oil in virginia says:

justDOit: Hey – she plays the bongos… biiiiiiiiiiiiiig bongos… wait…

Steve who, now?

“I wish I had a pair of bongos…bongo fury!”

I know, you’re probably the only one here who’s gonna get that reference.

117. Mr DeBakey says:

What kind of center would you like for Perron?

Last season Perron & Arcobello:
    GF% – 55.6%
    CF% – 52.8%

118. justDOit says:

theres oil in virginia,

Oowwwwww! (thanks for that – think I’ll put that one on later)

Not to be confused with Howard Stern’s Butt Bongo Fiesta…

119. RexLibris says:

Bruce McCurdy:
    Nova Kane.

Never pegged you for an Outlawz fan, Bruce.

I see your Nova Kane and raise you a Fraser Cain. http://www.youtube.com/user/universetoday

120. B S says:

Marc: I’ve just spent a very enjoyable couple of hours going through that list.A few quibbles (given that that is what lists like this are for):

I doubt anyone over the age of 20 can name a Bieber song, that’s probably why there aren’t any on there. Cripes, Backstreet Boys was the biggest band on the planet when I was a kid (followed by Nsync and preceded by New Kids on the Block), I was really into them for all of 4 months, now I can’t name a single song of theirs.

There’s going to be some east coast bias simply because it’s close to “the center of the universe” so that stuff actually gets heard over there, simply by brownian motion. Hell, no Faunts, or Captain Tractor suprised me a little.

Not a ‘Hip fan, but yeah Nautical Disaster struck me as an odd choice.

Personally I’m a little disgusted that anything Arcade Fire (nothing against them, just doesn’t get me as high as they’re ranked) is ahead of GBC’s “Ordinary Day”. and only one Stompin’ Tom song, when he died I spent a whole day going through his library.

Plus side is I listen to a lot of stuff I don’t normally hear (I’m an old time rock & roll fan normally). Finally listened to Barrett’s Privateers; been meaning to do that for a while.

*edit to add: I lied, I think “Get Down” was a BSBs’ song; possibly about blow jobs, which is creepy since their target audience was 8-12 year old girls at the time.

121. B S says:

On topic, I loved Perron’s game this season, and like Yak playing with him (I’m guessing the score well together because the goalie has to be wary of both, keeps him on the move), but they will definitely need a defensively responsible center. Do you shift up Gordon for neutral zone draws on that line? I like Gordon with Yak, but I think we need Gordon playing the Malholtra minutes, so I don’t know where you get them together.

122. Lois Lowe says:

Marc,

I have some issues with Five Dollar Bill being Corb Lund’s song. He wrote so many much better songs than that. It’s like he was included as an afterthought and they just picked one at random.

Absolutely no love for some of Canada’s finest hip hop artists and electronic producers (Buck 65 is phenomenal), but Maestro Fresh Wes gets into the top 25. He’s a farce of an artist who basically stole Rakim’s rhyme style and passed it off as his own.

I’m also surprised that no Diana Krall, Chantal Kreviazuk, or Our Lady Peace songs managed to make their way in.

123. Oilanderp says:

In 2 days I get x-rays to determine if I can finally abandon my crutches and start putting partial weight on my ankle again. If so, I guess Anita Kane.

124. B S says:

Oilanderp:
    Anita Kane.

Bravo, I’m clapping right now.

125. justDOit says:

Lois Lowe,

I like Five Dollar Bill, but yes – there are others that coulda/shoulda been his song.

Also +1 for Buck65. I don’t know enough about the Maestro, other than I don’t like it…

Danged inflation – I remember when 50 Cent could get you a rapper…

126. Lois Lowe says:

justDOit,

American to Canadian exchange rates are a bitch!

127. B S says:

Lois Lowe,
    You’re, right, didn’t think of them, but those are all noticeable omissions. Also no Rodeo Song (NSFW), I mean why the heck not? tops my list.

128. Bank Shot says:

wheatnoil:

The fact that Perron is a value contract now is the biggest reason the Oilers should be looking at moving him for an upgrade IMO.

There are more then a few other teams around the league in “win now” mode that are in some cap trouble. A sub $4 million dollar winger could be pretty appealing to them.

The Oilers could likely get an equal or better player in a position of need like C or D by taking on a bigger contract.

That helps them more then having a value contract for 3 years of non playoff hockey.

129. Marc says:

Lois Lowe:
    Marc,

Good points all.

I would add Crash Test Dummies (they made the cover of Time!) and K’Naan (it was the World Cup anthem!) to the list of surprise omissions. And maybe She Ain’t Pretty by the Northern Pikes (a radio mainstay for years. It’s probably still on the playlist of YR Radio.) and Informer by Snow – that song was everywhere that summer.

I’m guessing the list was compiled by middle age white guys with a rock/indie background. It’s reverent of the 60s/70s gods of Canadian music, lots of 90s stuff they listened to as teenagers/young adults, and a lot of the more recent stuff is the kind of indie music ie Arcade Fire, that 90s indie fans seem to gravitate to.

Then they probably added 30 or so songs that they don’t actually listen to because they thought they should for balance.

130. B S says:

Marc: Good points all.

Admittedly my list wouldn’t include any hip-hop, with lots more Tom Connors, Lightfoot, The Band, and now Joni Mitchell, and plus Great Big Sea, and some stereotypical big hits by more recent bands, but the list is rather vague as to what it is listing. Best song by a canadian artist, or best song that relates to Canada? I’m assuming the former, because Canadian Railway Trilogy isn’t on there, nor are any Arrogant Worms songs (I used to know Last Saskatchewan Pirate word for word, as did every bar patron I ever met in Alberta).

131. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“Steve Smith”: I see what you did there.

(You used “effect” as a verb.Incorrectly.)

See, I told you. I only know how to use affect as a noun properly.