RE 14-15 JORDAN EBERLE: FREE MAN IN PARIS

Jordan Eberle is at the point in his career where he has to deliver impressive offense in order to be considered worthy of the money. Eberle is not an outstanding two-way player, and he does not push the river. He’s a dynamite scorer though. He has 78 goals in his last 206 games—that works out to 31 goals per 82 games played. That, my friends, is going to get you paid.

JORDAN EBERLE 10-11

• 5×5 points per 60: 1.82 (4th among regular forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 3.94 (3rd among regular forwards)
  • Qual Comp: 3rd toughest among regular forwards
  • Qual Team: 8th best teammates among regular forwards
  • Corsi Rel: 8.7 (2nd best among regular forwards)
  • Zone Start: 49.3% (8th most difficult among regular forwards)
  • Zone Finish: 51.6% (6th best among regular forwards)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 158/11.4% (5th among F’s>100 shots)
  • Boxcars: 68gp, 18-25-43 (led the team in points as a rookie)

JORDAN EBERLE 11-12

• 5×5 points per 60: 3.08 (1st among regular F’s, 2nd in NHL)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 4.77 (4th among regular F’s)
  • Qual Comp: 5th toughest among regular forwards
  • Qual Team: 3rd best teammates among regular forwards
  • Corsi Rel: 5.7 (5th best among regular forwards)
  • Zone Start: 60.7 % (2nd easiest among regular forwards)
  • Zone Finish: 54.5% (best among regular forwards)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 180/18.9% (1st among F’s>100 shots)
  • Boxcars: 78, 34-42-76 (led the team in points for 2nd year in a row)

JORDAN EBERLE 12-13

• 5×5 points per 60: 2.31 (2nd among regular forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 3.46 (7th among regular forwards)
  • Qual Comp: 3rd toughest among regular forwards (top line opp)
  • Qual Team: best teammates among regular forwards
  • Corsi Rel: 21.9 (best among regular forwards)
  • Zone Start: 51.1% (5th most difficult among regular forwards)
  • Zone Finish: 50.0% (8th best among regular forwards)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 133/12.03% (3rd among F’s>70 shots)
  • Boxcars: 48, 16-21-37

JORDAN EBERLE 13-14

• 5×5 points per 60: 2.03 (2nd among regular forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 4.72 (3rd among regular forwards)
  • Qual Comp: 5th toughest among regular forwards (2nd line opp)
  • Qual Team: 3rd best teammates among regular forwards (top linemates)
  • Corsi Rel: 7.3 (2nd best among regular forwards)
  • Corsi for % 5×5: 46.3
  • Corsi for % Rel 5×5: +2.9
  • Zone Start: 55.8% (4th easiest among regular forwards)
  • Zone Finish: 47.2% (5th best among regular forwards)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 200/14% (1st among F’s>100 shots)
  • Boxcars: 80, 28-37-65

VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER (CORSI REL)

hall sledge corsi rel

RE 13-14 REVIEW

PPG NAME GP G A PTS
.833 JORDAN EBERLE RE 13-14 78 28 37 65
.813 JORDAN EBERLE ACTUAL 13-14 80 28 37 65

RE 14-15 PREVIEW

PPG NAME GP G A PTS
.875 JORDAN EBERLE RE 14-15 80 30 40 70

1. Why doesn’t he get any respect? Well hell, his linemates are No. 1 overall selections. That’s a pretty tough group to glory over.
  2. Is that kind of production worth $6M? I think so, based on the money handed out lately. The contract will never be as good as Hall’s, or the Nuge’s, but 30 goal scorers are not easy to find.
  3. There you go, you just did it! It’s just true, there’s nothing anyone can do about it. Hall and Nuge are exceptional players, number one overall picks, franchise-level talents. It’s a victory for Eberle to keep up to them!
  4. You’re such a bastard! I’m not, really.
  5. Is Eberle the best RW on the team? Now that Hemsky’s gone, I’d say it is between Perron and Eberle. It probably doesn’t matter, Yakupov could pass them like a house on the side of the road soon.
  6. Will he be traded? I don’t think so. They’ll have to enjoy more success, and then fail.
  7. Heh.  I understand what you’re saying. Will Eberle be the last to go? The scenario I have suggests he’s the one to stay.
  8. His whole career? Yes. I think the Oilers will have success later in the decade (not predicting Stanley Cup, just saying success) and there will be some good times with this group. At some point players will move on from Edmonton (they always have) and Eberle will be the first major Oiler to play his entire career with the team.
  9. Will he score 500 in his career? Hmmm. I’ll say 400, that’s his current average (96 in four years) over 16 seasons. He’ll slow the pace as he ages, but there should be some nice scoring seasons ahead.
  10. What can’t he do? Play center, push the river like Hall, intimidate physically, play an aggressive and effective two-way game.
  11. What can he do? Score goals, pass and make a pass, keep up, find open spaces, accurate shot, terrific deke artist, make goalie look silly.
  12. That’s a lot. Oh yeah, this is an outstanding hockey player.
  13. But the Corgi’s don’t dance for him. I think many believe Eberle-Hall is a poor possession combination because of last season. That isn’t true. Even with the poor numbers a year ago, they are 50% together for their careers—and this is on a terrible hockey team.
  14. You have the No. 1 line breaking out this season. Yes. 87 goals. Eberle (30) and Nuge (24) trailing Hall (33).
  15. How many did they score last season? 74.
  16. A big step up! I have Hall and Nuge going up significantly, suspect the power play will help and RNH will be healthy from the start.
  17. Eberle is consistent, isn’t he? Yes, he certainly is. Didn’t score in 5 February games, but that aside, he really does bring consistent offense.
  18. With that kind of offensive increase, do the Oilers take a big step forward? I think they’ll improve, win 35-37 games, but am not certain what that will mean in the western conference standings.
  19. Where will they finish league-wide? I’ll say 24th overall.
  20. Will the Oilers move up in the standings slowly each year, or will they explode one year? I’ll say explosion.
  21. Could it be this year? Sure. I think the results last season were dour, but the goaltending and swarm and possession issues brought on by coaching strategy curtailed progress. If they straighten even some of that out, they’ll be better. If they get all of them? Who knows?
  22. What should the Oilers goal be this season? Playoffs, Stanley.
  23. No, really. Really.
  24. Okay, that aside, what reasonable goal could they have? They should try to make sure they’re in the third-row tables at the draft. That way there’s clear progress.
  25. Draft 15th overall? Giddyup.
  26. Why this song? It’s a hit single. Jordan Eberle should be the hit single.
  27. WHAT. THE. HELL. DOES THAT MEAN? He’s famous, he’s a hit! God you’re sensitive about Jordan Eberle.
  28. Because you’ve never liked him like you do Taylor Hall. Again, we get into the No. 1 overall comparisons. Not fair. I’ve said this before, but Eberle is one of my favorites for many reasons. Regina kid, Stu’s first pick (and a home run), he’s a CFL fan, and, this is the important one, he can keep up to the number one’s. That’s a big damn deal.
  29. Why? Because you need more than one line of scoring. If the Oilers can find another Eberle-Perron this winter (and they have some fine candidates Pouliot, Purcell) and Yak City can go crazy, well, this team could have that explosion we’re talking about here.
  30. What will you do when they clinch a playoff spot? I’ll turn to my wife and say “we’ve raised our kids, they have kids and those kids have kids since the last time. But it was worth it!”
  31. You’re so NOT funny. Ah, it was a little bit funny.
  32. You’re trading Yak tomorrow. We talk Yak tomorrow.

77 Responses to "RE 14-15 JORDAN EBERLE: FREE MAN IN PARIS"

1. j says:

I agree with you LT that there will be an ‘explosion’. Most believe evolution is linear, steady improvement but evolutionary history shows quite a different trend. Species/systems can be evolutionarily dormant for years (Tambo?) and then experience a sudden leap forward in terms of progression (Mac?). And in a closed system (like pro sports), other species are devolving in parallel. The Oilers are set to take an evolutionary step forward while teams like Vancouver and Pitts may be heading in the other direction (note: Pitts have generational talent that will help slow the tide).

2. Romulus Apotheosis says:

before we get started here…

someone needs to call attn. to the unfortunate use of some kind of filter (soft, hazy) on the lens that shot that Joni vid.

Also, the bass player… leather pants… just awful. always awful. I don’t care who you are. don’t wear leather pants. They look profoundly stupid.

3. borisnikov says:

LT, you seem pretty bullish on the Oilers season. They have a massive hole to climb out of. I’m not so sure it’s going to be as easy as just figure out the possession game and there will be the explosion left we’re all waiting for. It’s pretty rare for 44.1% fenwick teams to take huge jumps into medicoricty let alone turning into a team that excels. Put me down in the column that says there are far more growing pains ahead.

Romulus Apotheosis:
    before we get started here…

borisnikov:

I’m not saying the pain is over. But there’s a light.

6. Pouzar says:

Trade the bum. :P

7. borisnikov says:

You’re correct though. There is a glimmer of light… but my eyes are still adjusting from the darkkness :)

8. wintoon says:

9. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: I like her voice so much on this version. Not as youthful, but more musical somehow. Or maybe it’s just that I heard the studio version four million times before I was 20.

I just hate it when the guys with the cameras and the editing tools muck about. I don’t want to see you make a bunch of jump cuts, or use weird filters or irises, or whatever. You manning the camera are a cipher for the performance here, not a performer.

10. slopitch says:

I think its next year.

If it somehow happens this year then look out. The Oilers would have 2-3 years of entry level deals on both Nurse and Drei to swing for it.

11. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“Eberle will be the first major Oiler to play his entire career with the team.”

I think this is right. There’s a psychological analogue with J. Schultz to some degree. These guys get some kind of boost with the team/fans because they exist outside of that select group of #1 overalls.

They are both “stars” but not in the same stratosphere as the #1s.

There’s a sense about the #1s that they were accidentally married to the team. They just happened to be the BPA at 1 on those years when the Oilers had the first pick. It’s an arranged marriage.

Eberle and Schultz, however, were matters of convenience. There was no merger of external factors pushing the Oilers to take Eberle when they did, not to the degree there was with the 1s. The Oilers were free to cast about and take the player they really wanted at that spot. Similarly, Schultz was free to cast about and pick his team.

That changes the relationship, at least in how it is perceived. I think it sets them apart to some degree as “favored sons”

12. Showerhead says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    before we get started here…

Sage, sage advice. Although there are some women in the world for whom it does not apply.

slopitch:

I think its next year.

I don’t think we’ll ever come close to the value contracts of 2006 but Edmonton will definitely need to have at least a couple of these on the roster. I actually think those $6M contracts are all just fine for the talent they’re buying but there sure are a lot of them and more are on the way.

The one thing I continue to worry about in this scorched earth rebuild is where the value contracts are going to come from. The other is that if they’re bad for too long that one of the kids might want out. That one is terrifying.

13. nycoil says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Oh, I like the version just fine. The flange on the guitar is a bit too… guitary for me, but it’s a fine tune and a fine performance.

I blame the 80s. Look at those broad lapels on the pinstripe suit. And agree it all sounds too electronic in this version. I guess it works for Ebs on two fronts, though: 1) because his substance (which is good) gets lost in the flash sometimes and 2) because he’s our Joey Mullen so 80s is fitting. Sorry, Ebs!

nycoil: I blame the 80s. Look at those broad lapels on the pinstripe suit. And agree it all sounds too electronic in this version. I guess it works forEbs on two fronts, though: 1) because his substance (which is good) gets lost in the flash sometimes and 2) because he’s our Joey Mullen so 80s is fitting. Sorry, Ebs!

I thank Eddie Bauer for help in the 80s. It was hard to find shirts/pants that were still “guy” and not look like Grandpa. Eddie Bauer had nice shirts in the 80s. Comfortable, looked good. Thanks, EB!

15. Pouzar says:

borisnikov: Lowetide, I compeltely agree on the players that they borught in. Far better bets than last season’s hires. The depth at center is lottery scary and the goatending (while probably better) is still a bit of a question mark, IMO.You’re correct though. There is a glimmer of light… but my eyes are still adjusting from the darkkness

16. soup says:

LT, are you a victim of your own ‘saw him good?’ I can’t think of any way possible you can consider Hemsky a better player than Eberle over the last 4 years. Hemsky has not been Captain Fantastic since 2008/09. That is 6 seasons ago.

I love Hemsky and hope he sees his renaissance in Dallas this year. However, he is not the player he once was. The blaming of the team for his poor performance may be partly true, but you must also consider that his poor performance in part has lead this team to where it is today. Regardless, if you do a fair comparison of Eberle to Hemsky, it really isn’t much of a contest.

17. slopitch says:

Showerhead,

Ya that is key. LA has Tyfoli and Pearson this year. You cant win without value contracts. Hall is a value contract though – they don’t have to be rookie deals. The Oilers should keep Nurse and Drei in juniors one more year with an eye to win some time in 2016-2018. Of course if they force the issue and win jobs this year, I dont think you hold them back. The Oilers need to emerge from the abyss and it cant happen soon enough.

18. Bag of Pucks says:

She’s probably using some chorus and a tad bit of delay on here to fatten up her guitar sound and give it a bit of a shimmery sound. Chorus was hugely popular in the eighties. In fact, there was a hilarious quote from Alex Lifeson when he returned to a more natural guitar sound in the early nineties, after the Grunge guys started to re-popularize more organic tones, where he said he’d finally been successful in kicking his ten year addiction to chorus.

19. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bag of Pucks: FYI – There’s no flanger on the guitar. That effect creates a circular comb filter effect that is very obvious when you hear it. Eddie Van Halen on the song Unchained is the prototypical example of that effect.

20. Bag of Pucks says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I’ll defer to you here. I often use “flange” as shorthand for stupid guitar fuckery. It’s a much funnier word than “chorus.”

‘Jape’ is another good word for this : )

Fuckery is a great word. Reminds me of ‘jiggery pokery’

21. justDOit says:

Bag of Pucks,

I believe I spotted the corner of a Roland Jazz Chorus stereo guitar amp behind her on stage, which would explain the guitar sound. Still revered as great guitar amps to this day for their clean, shimmering tone, they lured many a sensible guitarist into binge chorusity – that depth control was truly addictive.

Other than a bit of modulation on a stereo delay, I’ve been chorus clean since the mid 90s!

22. Bag of Pucks says:

justDOit:
    Bag of Pucks,

From pedal boards to rackmount gear back to pedal boards again. We’ve come full circle!

23. Pouzar says:

Willis sounds like he does these interviews from a library.

24. Showerhead says:

Bag of Pucks: Fully agree that the processing on the guitar signal is over the top. That and the drum sounds are very much what ‘dates’ music from this era. Shame cos she’s playing a beautiful hollowbody. There is zero need to drench that guitar’s sound in effects. It sounds perfect on its own or with a pinch of reverb.

Bag of Pucks: Good stuff. Weird and fun to see so many of the retro effects coming back now. Imagine players like Jack White and the Black Keys have a lot to do with this.

We’ve come full circle!

That’s how it goes though eh? All music exists in context, and we’re constantly responding to yesterday when deciding what to listen to today. Overproduced for a while? Strip it down. Tired of the same tones? Experiment with effects. It’s a great ride.

25. justDOit says:

Pouzar:
    Willis sounds like he does these interviews from a library.

Maybe a bit of chorus would spice it up…

26. Frank The Dog says:

Lowetide: Sure, I’m not saying they WILL but they could do it. The problems are less myriad and more identifiable than they were a year or two years ago. MacT has in fact addressed some of the issues. Does it mean he’s done? Hell no. But this is a team that has more actual NHL players, and the gifted cluster are a little older.

I’m not saying the pain is over. But there’s a light.

There’s more than a light. There’s the whiff of fresh air, lakes and forests. The profound difference will be whether Dallas is prepared to eat some humble pie and ride the connected enthusiasm of Rocky and the expertize of Ramsay. As long as Eakins and Acton don’t get in the way, I am expecting the enthusiasm of the young core to return with a willingness to follow the intelligent collaborative persuasion of a younger, connected coach, rather than the directive arrogance of an inept ex-player that was out of his depth.

That plus more actual NHL players.

27. Bag of Pucks says:

Showerhead: This comment, after a post about Jordan Eberle, is what makes the Internet good.

And possibly quite appropriate, as I’m told Ebs plays guitar.

We’ll give him the props for that and try to overlook the fact that he’s a big Luke Bryan fan ; )

28. PeOiler says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

-1 for leather pants. -1 for awkward duckwalk/dance, but +2 for the twin BC Rich Eagles.

29. Showerhead says:

Bag of Pucks: And possibly quite appropriate, as I’m told Ebs plays guitar.

This is embarrassing, but I don’t know who that is. Country?

30. Romulus Apotheosis says:

It would appear that was Joni’s husband (at the time) playing bass. So… he “out kicked his coverage” as LT would say, by some margin!

I have no idea why she let him wear those pants. I might file for divorce from my wife if I somehow took up the idea of wearing leather pants and she didn’t intervene with authority in the matter.

She is wearing a Tam. Which is also unfortunate in my estimation. Maybe it was a rough period for them.

31. bassguy says:

Hi Lt..love this series..I saw Joni 3 times!.,,hey ROM.thats larry klien playing bass here..great player and producer and also husband for a while..but no Jaco..check out shadows and light tour records and video..I saw Joni in 1980 with pat methaney, jaco, michael brecker ,lyle mays, and don alias..I still have a Polaroid of jaco doing his solo(or my son has it now)..I saw her on whyte avenue at a bar sitting outside..I couldnt believe it!..there was the woman who wrote don jauns reckless daughter!..sitting right there..and my favorite time , I was standing beside her at the jubilee aud in calgary as she was watching the alberta ballet do a short version of their tribute to joni..I didnt bother to say anything as I bathed in her dignity and wonder

32. borisnikov says:

Pouzar: Read GMoney’s post on the last thread. It’s almost comical how much better the team is on paper over last year. I have no idea what that will translate into but my gawd, Will Acton and Ryan Hamilton were on this team last year.

I did see that comment and it is a pleasent way to frame the off season thus far.

On paper they are improved. The big unknown for me is how much did Eakins learn last year and how much influence will Ramsey have on Eakins’ decsisions.

Like LT said (in a previous post), the strategies need to be changed to straighten out the possession numbers. Last season’s results really were an absolute mess. The 44.1 team fenwick scares me. Only 15 teams (of a possible 180 back to back season samples) in the last 7 seasons have gone from a sub 45 5v5 FF% to climb 4 or more points to respectability. The potentnial is there for a big jump, but the likelyhood is statistically slim.

We again have hope, but we’ve had that before:)

33. Pouzar says:

borisnikov,

Can’t argue when any of that!

We wait…

34. Bag of Pucks says:

Showerhead: This is embarrassing, but I don’t know who that is. Country?

Probably best described as what modern radio considers ‘country’ to be in the post Shania Twain era. It’s pretty far removed from George Jones and Willie Nelson.

Lot of frustrated top 40 rockers plying their trade in Nashville these days.

35. Henry says:

justDOit,

A little chorus rounds out your sound nicely. It’s like salt on your food. A lot of great players injured their tone with too much chorus in the 80s.

36. geowal says:

Has nobody noticed that the Barons signed Jason Williams (yeah, that one) out of the swiss League to an AHL contract?

Presumably it’s insurance for something centre-wise, but what? Ineffective Arcobello, inured Gordon, all of the above? Does this do anything for the need for a 2C? Or is the intention really that he’ll be there for the Barons? My first take was that they gave him the AHL deal as an incentive to essentially show up for a professional tryout and be guaranteed a contract with ok money either way.

37. Romulus Apotheosis says:

So… the Dubas era is off!

Leafs sign Winnik.

38. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Rom, you might want to do some research into the 80s. You’ll find a lot of otherwise rational people engaging in all sorts of fashion techniques that could only be described as traumatic today. It happened.

Here’s a great Joni concert from the late 70s. The Don Alias/Jaco Pastorius rhythm section might be the best ever recorded, but if you get hung up on their fashion sense, you’re gonna have a bad time.

39. Pouzar says:

Winnik to Leafs – 1 yr

40. DBO says:

Winnick signs with Leafs on a one year deal. Are the Oilers even trying to add these guys or have we entered the “want to give our young guys a chance to compete and prove they are good enough” part of the off season. That didn’t work too well in the past 7 years.

WTF is the problem with having a roster full of experienced NHL players. Winnick would have solved and solidified our 3/4th lines. And now we have to live with Gazdic and possibly Pitlick (who has not done anything to earn a spot, regardless LT of how many times you put him into your projected lineup).

What is wrong with having to waive a real NHLer if he gets beat out by a kid, and just as importantly why do we gift spots to kids (See Draisatl, Leon), when they will not be hurt by having to win a spot. I know it is a minor move, but man what started as a nice summer has turned into crickets and questionable moves (and lack thereof now) sending us once again to a year of “youthful exuberance and potential”. Or as the Basketball pundits liek to call, “Tremendous Upside”.

DBO:

42. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: I would suggest to you that Pitlick is in my lineup because he is among the players available to the Oilers next season. I’m not forcing him on you, he’s an option available and honestly I think he’ll play. I’m not really understanding your overall point, which seems to be the Oilers aren’t trying, but I wanted to assure you that Pitlick is in fact a candidate for NHL employment and not something I’m trying to push as an agenda.

This is a bit of use/mention issue by DBO here.

It’s actually pretty common for people to mistake (sometimes cynically, sometimes not) the discussion of something with its endorsement. It is also a mistake that, frankly, has never made any sense to me.

43. DBO says:

My apologies. My “just busting your chops” tone didn’t translate on a message. I would love to see Pitlick step up, but my “not trying” comment comes from seeing discount vets signed every year that we miss out on, and then having the Org talk about the young guys getting a chance. As you have often said, Real Nhl players. We lack them, we still do. Winnick would a huge addition, allowing Pitlick to go the AHL. But now we will enter camp with too many question marks, again.

44. Bruce McCurdy says:

Oilers turn up their noses at yet another NHL vet banging on the door & offering to work for minimum wage. What terrible people!

In an alternate universe (mine) not every free agent wants to play here. I argued in favour of Winnik here the other day as a decent option, but for whatever (unknown!) reasons an offer wasn’t made, or maybe wasn’t accepted. Hardly means Oilers aren’t trying.

45. Bag of Pucks says:

Leafs got good value out of a similar signing last season w/Mason Raymond.

I agree we can’t tell without more inside info if the Oil are ‘trying’ to land value vets like this. But history has shown us time and again, that Oiler mgmt have no qualms about hitting training camp with inexperienced prospects penciled into starting roles.

Oiler training camps aren’t as much about legitimately competing for roster spots as they are about setting the depth chart.

46. bassguy says:

justDOit,

Hi , I saw the shadows and light tour in vancouver in 1980..possibly the high light of any concerts I have seen…I walked down to the floor as we were up high in the hockey rink, the pacific coliseum as it was called..excatly the same building as rexall!, and when I got down there they had cleared the throngs of people but Jaco was starting his solo called slang!!..from the live weather report record..I walked right up to the front being chased by security and took a pic!

47. Pouzar says:

Can we ask the Ducks didn’t sign him or are we going to continue to B and Moan about not signing every UFA on the market. Nice player but lets put away the pitch forks.

48. justDOit says:

bassguy,

You need to kiss yourself for doing that! What a wonderful memory of an amazing concert. I wasted those years learning Angus Young and Jerry Doucette riffs, and considered JM’s music to be dull and boring. I guess that’s what young teens do, and I at least moved on and learned that there’s more to music than rockin’ riffs!

49. bassguy says:

justDOit,

Ha, rockin riffs is good too!..but to see that band, wow, i dont believe Jaco was ever playing better and it was the start of a sad and crazy 8 years or so till his death..he still produced some absolutely great records with his big band and “mingus” with joni(maybe that was at that time?) ..and pat methany with lyle mays was a gas..!

50. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Pouzar:

this is an absurd comment.

51. Pouzar says:

Romulus Apotheosis: this is an absurd comment.

I like the player, don’t get me wrong. But how does a Stanley Cup contender not sign him to a similar deal?

52. Pouzar says:

Allow me to quote Mr. McCurdy’s article:

” Up until this most recent campaign he has recorded excellent shot share results especially relative to his own teammates, although those dropped sharply in 2013-14:”

“Whether that’s an anomaly or represents some sort of drop-off in his play, it’s perhaps no coincidence that the talent-rich Ducks have seen fit to let Winnik’s contract expire.”

My point is it isn’t the slam dunk some people think.

53. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Pouzar: How so? Our fav pass time is ragging on Oiler Mgt when we don’t pick up a player we see as a fit.

54. Pouzar says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Every year useful players make it to UFA status. That’s no sign the player is flawed.ANA passing on Winnik is no more an indication he’s a good/bad player than them signing him two years ago. We’ve learned over and over again not to trust the decision makers of the NHL as reliable judges of talent.And, I don’t see a lot of bitching and moaning or pitchforking. I see people talking about the paltry Summer hockey news and wishing their team has signed a player we’ve talked about since forever.

Read DBO’s post.

55. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Pouzar: Read DBO’s post.

56. Frank The Dog says:

One of the most bloodthirsty wars in history started 100 years ago today. Quite honestly that means more to me than the fact that the Oil didn’t sign a failed playoff team’s castoff.

57. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis: It seems reasonable to me, excepting the part where he/she confuses LT’s intentions.

Upvote for Pouzar.

58. bendelson says:

Happy Corb Lund Day everyone!

To properly honour his entire music library, I will be drinking whiskey and wearing a ten-gallon hat tonight – shirtless, with duct tape on the nipples to be sure.

Truly, a sight to behold.

59. vinotintazo says:

justDOit: Reasonable to assume that MacT didn’t send an offer to Winnik’s camp, and that it was turned down for an unknown reason? Reasonable to think that MacT didn’t talk to the Ducks about him, and why they weren’t signing him? Reasonable to just start trashing mgmt because they ‘missed out’ on Winnik, without knowing any background on the situation?

Upvote for Pouzar.

Yes lets sign every FA winger in the nhl untill we run outta contract spots… really smart.

60. DBO says:

61. stevezie says:

bendelson,

I love that picker. Also, you sound drunk. Finally, I know we all mock the Habs for handicapping themselves by insisting there are a certain amount of Francophones on the team, but I get it. I like Eberle because- in addition to being a good player- he is a prairie boy. Like most of those yokels he has pretty sketchy taste in music, but I like him all the same. We’re a prairie team.

62. jake70 says:

On Winnik……

He was just on PTS, Friedman asked him if any team had approached him that he rejected so far during free agency. Winnik: “there wasn’t anyone that I shunned away and was like “no, no thanks” in previous weeks, but it all just kinda happened this past week, was kind of a couple of teams but that was it, nothing prior to that”

63. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Upvote for Pouzar.

No. The context is quite clear.

MacTavish has stated on day one he needs to upgrade the bottom six. He’s very recently talked up using the UFA market to find inefficiencies. He’s also talked a lot about not forcing kids to play beyond their proved level of ability.

Since then a lot of useful players have signed late in the UFA season, cheaply with various teams.

It is possible Mgt. has been interested in all of these players and missed out for one reason or another. If that is case, some measure of responsibility clearly falls on MacT’s shoulders for not winning the day.

But… that is a patently absurd and overly-friendly interpretation of the facts.

The EDM media leaks everything. If there was interest in Raymond last year or Winnik this year or anyone else mentioned here, there and elsewhere, we’d have heard about it.

It is perfectly reasonable to question the Mgt. about their intentions for the bottom 6 (esp. considering their ambitious plans to run the Chicago model).

An empty, pointless gnashing of teeth would look a lot different IMO. It’s a completely fair comment.

64. Romulus Apotheosis says:

DBO: My view of LT’s intentions are clouded by his hate for sideburns, Hemsky and his repeated attempts to run Yakupov out of town while shamelessly promoting good Canadian kids with character

can’t tell if sarcasm.

65. bendelson says:

stevezie: you sound drunk.

No, not drunk as of yet… that would be irresponsible.
    I am extremely high however.

(That’s a joke kids. Don’t abuse drugs).

66. "Steve Smith" says:

bendelson: (That’s a joke kids.Don’t abuse drugs).

Also, don’t take great pains to draw distinctions between “using” them and “abusing” them, because, in a Catch-22-esque sort of a way, only abusers of drugs do that.

And don’t be like Bendelson, because he is history’s worst monster.

67. Hammers says:

wintoon: Eberle is a top notch complementary piece for a teams first line. As LT has stated he does not push the river or dominate a game. He is more the silent assasin type. He has the ability to make you pay for ignoring him and he is able to match the pace of his line mates. if, as you have stated, Yakupov is able to find his NHL game, then the Oilers will have incredibly effective wingers coupled with very promising centres for the first time in the 2000s. I wait patiently.

The problem I see is yes that is a number 1 line but with no proven 2nd line center I see one of Ebs or Hall on another line . Probably Ebs with Yak taking his place . Do that and the coaches have so many options dependent on Leon or Arco claiming that spot . If Leon my guess is Ebs & Perron . If Arco I think Ebs & Pouliot . I also wouldn’t be surprised if Leon makes it to see Gordon back as #3 “C” and with Purcell & Pouliot . Leaves Arco with Hendricks & Lander on the 4th . That’s why it depends on Leon . Training camp will tell a lot .

68. Hammers says:

Your key word is forever .Mac got who he wanted Pouliot & Purcell . So one spot on the 4th line tries Pitlick or Lander with Gazdic ( As needed ) on the side .

69. RBB says:

“Steve Smith”,

“don’t be like Bendelson, because he is history’s worst monster.”

So…is that an abuse, or an appropriate use of history? :D

70. "Steve Smith" says:

RBB,

Could go either way, really.

I loved your work in opposition during the Alberta & Great Waterways Railway scandal, by the way.

71. Melman says:

Winnik’s a Leaf at $1.3. I’d like to know which one of the pro scouts laid the bet on Double J – he better outplay Winnik this season and I can’t see that happening.

Melman:
    Winnik’s a Leaf at $1.3.I’d like to know which one of the pro scouts laid the bet on Double J – he better outplay Winnik this season and I can’t see that happening.

Joensuu looked good until getting clocked in G1, and he certainly wasn’t the same. The “better outplay Winnik” idea is understandable, but I do like the Oilers fishing overseas. I have more faith in that Finnish guy.

73. Melman says:

Monday musings: I wonder if the holdup on the contract for Schultz is impacting the deal for a 2C. With Leon in camp, Nurse back for year 2, Klefbom, Marincin and the 4 new vets all as story lines, that’s a lot of focus away from Yak which could a quiet bonus in all of this.

Melman:

Monday musings:I wonder if the holdup on the contract for Schultz is impacting the deal for a 2C.With Leon in camp, Nurse back for year 2, Klefbom, Marincin and the 4 new vets all as story lines, that’s a lot of focus away from Yak which could a quiet bonus in all of this.

Could be, I do think EDM has options and they certainly don’t appear to be in a hurry.

75. bigbadbruin24 says:

Dude on another site, lets say it rhymes with “SockeyDuzz” so we don’t promote it, mentioned on Saturday that Winnik to the Leafs was a done deal on Friday. He claimed to have had lunch with Winniks agent, Pat Morris I believe, and was told it was a done deal. I didn’t think much of it at the time I read it but I guess some “regular” peeps actually are in the know sometimes.

Winnik would have looked good in copper and blue…especially at or near that salary.

76. oilswell says:

I have been told by several ladies that that leather pants on a guy is sexy. Given that so many guys dislike them, I think it’s pretty safe to assume that leather pants is — at least in certain circumstances — the correct answer.

77. bucknuck says:

That was one impressive RE last year, Lowetide. Nice work!