RE 14-15 LEON DRAISAITL: CHELSEA MORNING

Edmonton Oilers fans had to be pleased when Craig MacTavish announced Leon Draisaitl’s name. The big center with skill represents a perfect fit, and fans haven’t seen a draft pick like Leon at the position since Jason Arnott.

RE-14-15 PROJECTIONS

PPG NAME GP G A PTS
.515 LEON DRAISAITL 14-15 RE 66 12 22 34

1. So you really think he’ll play? Yes.
  2. The whole season? Yes.
  3. All of these kids since 2010! Well, first of all they had three No. 1′s in there, and second Leon isn’t in the NHL yet.
  4. When will they make the call? Leon Draisaitl turns 19 on the day Edmonton plays it’s ninth game of the season (Oct 27).
  5. Convenient. It’s just what it is, there’s nothing newsworthy beyond it’ll be a great birthday or a crappy one.
  6. I think we both know it’ll be a great birthday. Yes.
  7. Batty thinks it’s a bad idea. Batty makes some strong points as always. He brings up some excellent arguments and they are certainly pertinent to the conversation. This isn’t a slam dunk.
  8. Why don’t you object to keeping him? I think that’s the wrong way to look at this.
  9. What way should we look at it? For me, the first thing to acknowledge is that he may actually be good enough for the NHL. He’s outstanding, and the numbers imply impact-player potential. Leon’s size suggests some form of physical maturity and if he can play then he’ll certainly be one of the better options for Edmonton. The thing I can’t abide is handing it to him, as the Oilers appear to be now.
  10. Handing it to him? Come on. His major hurdles are Mark Arcobello and Anton Lander? This is taking a knife to a gunfight.
  11. So you hate Arcobello. No, but I do believe the Oilers would benefit from another veteran center to push the group. That’s a befuddling part of this summer.
  12. First time you’ve mentioned it. Well, no.  It’s an issue, and should be an issue in the Oilers’ offices.
  13. I bet it is, they probably have a trade to make later in the summer or in pre-season. I keep thinking they’ll trade for Cody Eakin, Dallas is drunk with centers and could use some blue line help. There’s a trade fit there.
  14. You’re happy if they trade for Eakin? Sure! That’s a legit roadblock, and then the decision becomes Leon v Arco for the other center slot.
  15. And Lander. Sure, if you like. I think Lander is basically Gordon insurance and a candidate for the 4line, but he did post nice numbers in OKC. Many tumblers would have to click, but we’ve seen stranger things over the years.
  16. Is MacT a draft pedigree snob? God no. He spent much of the 00′s sending out the first rounders and keeping the guys without pedigree. MacT was a show-me coach, and loved a player who knew what he was doing. Pisani types.
  17. Did MacT ever keep a player in Leon’s situation? Yes, there’s a situation that is almost identical. Ales Hemsky, drafted in 2001, was kept on for 2002-03 at least partly because (this is from memory) they didn’t like what he was learning in Hull with the Olympique.
  18. Do you think they feel the same way about the Raiders’ coach? No, not at all. That’s a pretty solid coaching staff by reputation (Cory Clouston) and they’ve done good work in a small place. Impressive.
  19. What do you make of the storyline about his leaving Germany to play in a small city like Prince Albert? First of all, these stories are basically insane. If Leon Draisaitl was worried about the night life and the excitement of a big city, he probably wouldn’t be the No. 3 overall pick in the draft. LD is clearly motivated by hockey, Prince Albert is fine—in fact, it’s a very good place for a teenager. Less trouble, fewer distractions.
  20. God you sound old. Don’t care. I was 19, and did live in a town MUCH smaller than Prince Albert. There’s trouble anywhere if you’re the type to find it. Leon’s passion is hockey, that’s a very good sign. I don’t buy that going to Prince Albert was some kind of major sacrifice. That’s the arrogance of people who have never lived there assuming their lifestyle is better than the one they’re pitying. God I hate that stuff. You ever break down in the middle of nowhere? You pray to whatever God you believe in that it’s somewhere near Prince Albert. Good, decent, happy people. You can tell a lot about a guy who talks down a place he’s never been. Bah! City people.
  21. Okay okay, geez. I just asked a question. Well, I don’t like that kind of talk.
  22. Let’s get back to Leon. Your estimate for points is low. Yes. It is. I feel there may be games, and Hemsky went through this, Joe Thornton too, where LD doesn’t see the ice much. I suspect the Oilers will be more interested in making sure he’s a better player in April than running him hard in Los Angeles at Christmastime.
  23. Joe Thornton? Yes. I’m not saying he’s Thornton but that guy had a painful rookie season and went on to a brilliant career. Scott Reynolds had Thornton as the “everything goes right” option in his comparable article.
  24. You don’t really expect that, do you? Nope. But the rest of Scott’s list is full of shining diamonds, too. I really, really like this player.
  25. We’re at question No. 25, and we just get to that? It’s ‘reasonable expectations’ not ‘Lowetide’s new favorite player’ but he is.
  26. Who would you like to see him with at 5×5? I’d say Perron and Pouliot but that totally screws over Yakupov.
  27. Book it! Yeah, I know. I think maybe Perron-Purcell and Pouliot-Yakupov could be the pairings for the second and third line wingers.
  28. You’re concerned about Yakupov and where he fits, aren’t you? Deathly afraid. Keep your powder dry, we’ll get to the Russian soon.
  29. Why this song for Draisaitl? It’s about new beginnings and being really happy, like ‘happiest time in my life and I know it’ happy. No worries, no concerns, real contentment and starting a new life in an ideal surrounding. Maybe arriving at your dreams and realizing it’s even better than you thought it would be. Over the top good.
  30. Nice. Yeah. Leon in Edmonton is a good thing, whenever it happens. It’ll be a big test for MacTavish though, sending him out. If Leon isn’t ready, I hope they do no matter how bad it looks with a flimsy depth chart. Burning a year of Leon’s entry for an unready soldier would be the real crime here.

62 Responses to "RE 14-15 LEON DRAISAITL: CHELSEA MORNING"

1. Pouzar says:

I think we need to sign him first. :P

2. regwald says:

Taylor Hall was NHL ready and there was no need to go back to jr. Nuge I would have liked to see go back to jr due to his slight build. Yak I think wasn’t going back to Sarnia cause of the KHL gig. Was okay with him being in the NHL instead. Liked Nurse being sent back. Hope he is again this year. Back in the day, I wanted them to send Gagner back – in hindsight I think they should have.

Now for Leon, I think one more season in PA is the right answer.

But, I think the writing is on the wall, he will be in Edmonton to start the year.

3. jeetz says:

Have Leon center Yak City on the 3rd line with Pouliot and run it all year. Give them more ice time during home games where they can be sheltered more. (lean on Hall RNH Eberle more on road games) Let them figure out the NHL together and develop chemistry vs the soft parade.

Pouzar:
    I think we need to sign him first.:P

That’s probably close. Oilers sign these kids mid-summer.

5. G Money says:

Honestly, it doesn’t matter that much to me if LD plays this year or not – as long as he earns it.

Lots of top 3 picks play in the NHL in their post-draft year, even on teams much deeper than Edmonton, because the player is just that damn good.

As LT says – the issue is not whether LD plays next year, its whether the job is handed to him. If LD wins the job by beating out a legitimate NHL calibre player, that’s a good thing, not a bad thing.

6. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Greatest Oiler Ever?

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Greatest Oiler Ever?

Something tells me we’re going to hear this a lot from you. :-)

8. RT26 says:

Maybe this is a silly idea, but if Leon stays with the big club should he play on the DZ line with Gordon and Hendricks? You’d have 3 face-off men on the line, giving you flexibility.

I also think forcing him to learn and deliver defensively sound hockey would be a good foundation for him. When he earns top 9 ice-time, we can give it to him in subsequent seasons. I would still like to give Lander a shot in the pre-season with good wingers and see if he could be a decent 3C for us in the future.

9. gr8one says:

What are his comps with Barkov and Monahan from last year?

Is he considered more, less, equal as to NHL readiness as they were?

Boy, if he has an injury free comp to Barkov as a rookie that would be great, and I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s what management is hoping for.

10. gd says:

I have no problem with Leon making the team in a sheltered 3rd line role. He is less than 2 months younger than McKinnon and Barkov. If his biggest weaknesses are his footspeed and play away from the puck, I’ve got to think he would be better served working on that in the NHL with someone like Ramsay guiding him, rather than dominating junior.

I really think his skillset could be a perfect match for Yak and they should still look at this as a development year and run with them for at least 20 games, to see what kind of chemistry they can establish. This is where getting a guy like Eakin, Anisimov, Eller or even Sutter would allow them to properly shelter the Leon/Yak line and they could go with either Arco centring them or Pouliot providing veteran support from the wing.

I think Leon bringing skilled size is a huge game changer to the Oilers’ long term future. I think his worse case scenario is 2nd line LW with size, and barring injury he should be a top 6 forward within 2 years, so whatever they do this year it should be on what is best for his development, not filling a hole in the roster.

11. Hammers says:

If he does play he will get more than 34 points . So much will be dependent on the wingers he gets and he needs 2 players who can add a lot . If he plays with Purcell & Pouliot it would make for a BIG line and give Arco , Yak & Perron some soft minutes . Age doesn’t mean that much with a kid like this . With all that said I still expect a trade but it won’t happen until Schultz is signed . I also see Leon getting a few games with Hall but maybe that’s what I’m wishing for .

12. Mr DeBakey says:

regwald:

Now for Leon, I think one more season in PA is the right answer.

Yes, yes and YES.

Problem is, with the Oilers Center situation being what it is, there is no way he’s not going to be one of the best 4 Cs in camp.
    I doubt, though, that having him in the line-up will help the Oilers win many games this coming winter.

13. LMHF#1 says:

Not exactly a re-born Jason Arnott I see?

14. Marcus Oilerius says:

The way you talk about Hemsky and the Olympiques makes me think of Yakupov and the Sting.

Regardless of whether Yak was ready, I look at the way he plays, and the stories coming out of Sarnia about how they used him, and I think it was the right move to get him out of there. Krueger probably gave Yak a little too much rope, which lead to the conflicts with Eakins this season.

Anyway, back to Draisaitl. I really, really wish they’d keep him down. He’s supposedly got a fair amount of work to do on his skating, and the Oilers have to start thinking long-term cap considerations sooner or later. Bringing Leon in right now won’t make us a playoff team or a contender, even if he has a Gagner or Nuge rookie season. At best he’ll put up points, I don’t think he’s going to make an impact as a legitimate second line centre. He won’t be able to handle the defensive responsibilities as well as he could when he’s 20, or ideally 21. If we give him another season in junior, he’ll be faster, stronger, and more experienced. Then we can send him down to the AHL to learn to play the man’s game, and after half a season or a full season there, he can step in and contribute.

Either way, by keeping him in junior for another season, we extend his ELC into his better years, and we get one more year of RFA.

I don’t think it’s realistic to assume that the cap will keep going up at the rate it has, after next season. The big TV deals are signed. They weren’t counted this season and as we saw, other than TV, revenues were mostly flat. Whatever more the Canadian teams charged in ticket prices, they lost in the falling dollar.

Nuge had a great rookie season and I’d argue we did him or ourselves no favors by bringing him in so early. Yakupov, if he’d played for a competent franchise in the OHL and there wasn’t a Russian Factor in the equation, could have stayed down.

15. John Chambers says:

LT – I would be over the moon about acquiring Eakin. He was playing rec league at the MTS IcePlex last night and making a bunch of beer-leaguers I know look foolish.

But if you’re Dallas your Plan A is to rid yourself of Horcoff’s contract, even if you have to send it along with a 3rd rounder to Buffalo, before you give up Eakin.

I’m in no position to guess (but I’ll do it anyway), and I’m sure the conversation between MacT and Nill have the Oilers asking Dallas to keep some of Horcoff’s cap hit and send a nice draft pick in exchange for Jesse Joensuu, while the Nill camp doesn’t want to get fleeced by Edmonton in consideration of the deal made a year ago.

Ultimately MacT has the cap space and can acquire the player whenever he wants, whether that’s Horcoff or Chris Kelly, etc, and he’s probably willing to go through training camp and make Nill sweat in order to get the best deal possible out of Dallas … which might be as high as a 2nd rounder.

16. commonfan14 says:

gd: I really think his skillset could be a perfect match for Yak and they should still look at this as a development year and run with them for at least 20 games, to see what kind of chemistry they can establish.

I can picture this clicking, to a ridiculous degree on some nights, and GDT comments sections full of nothing but cackles.

17. vinotintazo says:

Stop trading for Horcoff, is not going to happen

18. tsg says:

Draisaitl will likely be one of the best 4 centers on the Oilers in training camp. I do not believe he should be competing against the other centers, but instead he should be judged based on his competing development curves. Effectively he’s competing against himself. If his development curve would be better served in going back to junior, then he should. If his development curve would be better served by staying in the NHL, then that’s where he should be for the season. MacT referenced something like this a while back when he mentioned something along the lines of the Oilers doing what was best for the prospect and not what was best for the team. Of course this is a much more difficult and subjective decision than basing the decision purely on comparing him straight across against his peers.

19. Mr DeBakey says:

Bohologo:
    I might have asked this before, but if Leon can’t be sent to the AHL due to his age, and if he has nothing left to prove in PA, why not send him to the German league? He can play against men, earn some bucks, and mom will be happy.

Is this daft?

Not daft
    Very good idea
    Or, if not the German League, maybe playing for Rob Daum with Linz in Austria [in The Hapsburg League]

I’m not sure how binding those CHL You’ll-play-for-free-for-a-million-dollar-operation contracts are.

20. RexLibris says:

I haven’t had a chance to read through this, but I figured I’d throw it out there for discussion amongst some more arithmetically-able minds than I.

Could be a useful new tool.

21. gcw_rocks says:

I am not sure the numbers show Leon as exceptional. They show him, like Nuge, to be very good, but not exceptional. Crosby is exceptional. McDavid is exceptional. Leon would benefit if we have realistic expectations of his upside and where currently stands.

As such, the oilers would be better off to error on the side of caution with Leon.

gcw_rocks:
    I am not sure the numbers show Leon as exceptional.They show him, like Nuge, to be very good, but not exceptional. Crosby is exceptional. McDavid is exceptional.Leon would benefit if we have realistic expectations of his upside and where currently stands.

23. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Meh. Exceptional is a word, it doesn’t have a line we can agree on. That’s certain. However, I don’t think my using the word in regard to LD should immediately mean we compare him to Crosby.

Draisaitl was a 3rd overall pick.

So why not compare him to another 3rd overall recent draft pick who played right out of the gate, with little shelter, and has more or less shown that he was equal to the task in Matt Duchene?

Now, I’d love for the Oilers to have the depth to send Draisaitl back to junior, but only if it was because he honestly did not earn the position out of camp.

That requires two circumstances to come about: the Oilers have enough C depth that Draisaitl can’t jump over all those other candidates in his first professional camp, and, that Draisaitl is the prospect we believe him to be and not perhaps even better than a candidate the Oilers could acquire to act as a hurdle, such as Cody Eakin.

24. justDOit says:

Exceptional << Generational. It's exceptional if an 18 yr old can make the cut on an NHL team. If the player puts up anywhere near 100 points, that's generational.

25. regwald says:

Mr DeBakey: Yes, yes and YES.

Yes. The second summer where MacT is coming into training camp under qualified at center. Sad, but true.

26. Bank Shot says:

RexLibris: Draisaitl was a 3rd overall pick.

It’s dangerous to compare Draisaitl to Duchene because Duchene was the most successful 3rd overall pick immediately post draft in the last ten years.

Guys like Huberdeau, Drouin, Galchenyuk were held back a year, Galchenyuk half I guess due to lockout. They are now contributing but not exactly blowing the doors off the NHL. What if Draisaitl is like them?

He won’t help the team win any hockey games his first season if that is the case.

We shouldn’t even go by training camp either. Draisaitl will probably look pretty good in camp, especially as the Oilers will put him in positions to succeed. Then around game 20 when everyone else starts ramping up, he will probably start to look like he doesn’t belong and at that point the Oilers have to keep him.

I want the best for Leon, and the best thing for Leon and the Oilers is another year of junior IMO.

27. jake70 says:

Has anyone heard when he gets his shoulder surgery done? Maybe they are waiting for Nurse to have his first? ;-)

jake70:
    Has anyone heard when he gets his shoulder surgery done?Maybe they are waiting for Nurse to have his first?;-)

Jake, I need your exact location. :-)

29. sliderule says:

There were comparisons to Kopitar for Leon

Kopitar turned 19 in the August before his first Kings season.

If Leon is the next Kopitar he will be entering his first NHL season only two months younger than Anze was.

If he is the real thing he will play.

30. rubbertrout says:

In case it already hasn’t been said enough, I love the RE series LT.

31. nycoil says:

I think the issue with Leon for this year is his speed. Duchene had an impact because he had NHL-calibre, high end foot speed. Leon, despite working on it hard this summer, will not. That doesn’t mean long-term he won’t be a high impact player, but Sergei Samsonov began his NHL career a lot better than did Joe Thornton. I think Leon will struggle with this if he is handed 2C primo minutes this year.

Would really love to see him broken in on the 3rd line wing, but that requires a trade for a C at least, plus probably one more depth signing to give Arco/Lander a push.

I think this is the issue we are facing right now. We are one Nuge injury away from a disastrous season at the C position with the current depth. Remember that season when the lack of C depth was glaringly obvious all along and Tambo did nothing about it for months and months?

32. Bank Shot says:

nycoil:

You mean last season?

33. TheOtherJohn says:

Lowetide: Something tells me we’re going to hear this a lot from you.

GOE……… its like Chara being the called best Bruin defenseman……Ah hell….no!!!!!

34. Bag of Pucks says:

Anyone else struggling to decide if Joni Mitchell is hot or not?

In certain angles, she’s seems all Cali beach bum, granola eating, earth mother hot.

But then from other angles, she seems all Cali beach bum, granola eating, earth mother not.

Shame we don’t have a photo of her in a Baywatch uni. I think that would help.

Btw, count me in as one wanting Dr Drai back in junior for the year. The problem with the ‘as long as he wins the job’ narrative is mgmt can mightily skew that playing field in Leon’s favour. And the OIl have shown us time and time again, they’re willing to go that route to sell hope & tix.

35. nycoil says:

Bank Shot,

Ha, last year was MacT, and there were more glaring holes on D and in net and in the bottom six, which were all atrocious to even the layman’s eye.

I am referring to 2011-2012 when Horc got hurt and Tambo did nothing for ages, then Nuge got hurt and it was all over.

Item #8 sums it up.

36. nycoil says:

Bag of Pucks,

There are pics of her out there wearing bikinis, etc., you know…
    I’m in the “not” camp. Impressive cheekbones, though. Could be carved into a mountain as part of a Canadian artist “Mount Rushmore.”

37. Bag of Pucks says:

nycoil:
    Bank Shot,

Item #8 sums it up.

Really shows how far we’ve come.

Cole for Patio Lanterns with Justin Williams to LA. Those were dark days.

38. RexLibris says:

I’d like Draisaitl to go back to junior as well.

I think there is a chance that he makes the team as the best 2C option because, well because all the other options wouldn’t even be on the table for most other teams.

The same situation happened with Gagner. In camp he won a spot because…wait for it…the Oilers were awful and this kid had skill.

Big change in the roster now, but Draisaitl is something they don’t have much of – size married to skill.

Last season Sean Monahan won a job after his 9 game audition because, among other things, the Flames were dirt poor in the exceptionally talented center position. He was probably never more than 50/50 on whether it would have been better to go back to junior (my opinion) but because he stood out when compared to a biased talent sample he looked “ready”.

39. G Money says:

RexLibris: I used Duchene as a high-end example. He and O’Reilly both played for the Avs right out of camp and both did pretty well for 18 year olds. Very unlikely that gets repeated, but we should recognize it as at least a possibility.

In that department, the Avs are doing pretty well. You can certainly add MacKinnon and Landeskog to that list as well.

40. GATO BANDIDO says:

Bag of Pucks:
    Anyone else struggling to decide if Joni Mitchell is hot or not?

Shame we don’t have a photo of her in a Baywatch uni. I think that would help.

Not sure if I’m quoting Lester Bangs, Philip Seymour Hoffman, or Cameron Crowe:

“Good-looking people don’t have any spine. Their art never lasts.”

41. speeds says:

In comparing Arcobello to Draisaitl, is it reasonable to think Draisaitl will be better than Arcobello next year?

42. oilswell says:

So, if I’m reading Reynolds’ article correctly you’re projecting a points per game drop-off worse than those of Falloon and Legwand?

43. Bag of Pucks says:

GATO BANDIDO: Not sure if I’m quoting Lester Bangs, Philip Seymour Hoffman, or Cameron Crowe:

“Good-looking people don’t have any spine. Their art never lasts.”

Is it possible to be good looking without a spine?

I would think the amorphous jellyfish look is universally reviled.

speeds:

I have Draisaitl clear of Arcobello in points-per-game, but as mentioned above LD’s role will vary and I’m estimating the same for Arco.

oilswell:

I’m projecting Draisaitl to play varying roles on the team, more like Hemsky when he was 19. I don’t recall the TOI for either Falloon or Legwand, but would guess their minutes per game would be more than Draisaitl’s (in my projection).

46. Bag of Pucks says:

LT, I was going to ask the question ‘do you dream about the Oilers?” but then I realized, I already know the answer to that : )

47. speeds says:

I guess I’m just wondering if I’d expect Draisaitl to go on a run like Arco had in the AHL last year, were he eligible to play there. Granted, I wouldn’t expect that out of Arco either.

48. FastOil says:

speeds:

I think so. Leon is the better player hands down, what he lacks is experience, and what we don’t know is how quickly he’ll pick up. Given his progression from where he started I’m hoping quickly.

I suppose the other unknown is edges, I’m not sure blazing speed is necessary for his game. Weak skating will scuttle him in the NHL. Won’t be protecting pucks if he can’t elude anyone, strength advantage gone.

49. LadiesloveSmid says:

Pouliot-Perron would be screwing over Yak? I think Purcell, a setup man, might be a good fit with Yak city. Yak-Arco-Purcell would be an interesting line

50. Hammers says:

I’m a bit surprised at the number of comments to send him back no matter what . If we don’t trust McT & Eakins to make the right decision then who do we trust . I for one believe McT when he said he would be evaluated and then a decision will be made . Remember he sent Nurse back last year and he may or may not be sent back this year . I will let the chips fall but if he plays he will get more than 34 points .

51. jake70 says:

Lowetide: Jake, I need your exact location.

Haha…..I tell you what, if you are sending a pallet of fresh Alberta beef you can have my location, but I don’t think that’s why you want it.

52. Zangetsu says:

I think people are pronouncing his name wrong. I know a little about German. From what I know everything sounds really angry. I suspect it sounds more like DRAISAITL

First time you’ve mentioned it. Well, no. It’s an issue, and should be an issue in the Oilers’ offices.

Does the dude asking questions read your blog?

The blog since July 2nd has been a (almost) paranoid chant about 2C.

Edit: It’s not just you. You can’t swing a virtual dead cat in the Oilogosphere without reading “WHAT ABOUT 2C?!?!?!?”

Bag of Pucks: Actually very encouraging to go back and read that old RE on Tambellini-fumblerooski.

Really shows how far we’ve come.

Cole for Patio Lanterns with Justin Williams to LA. Those were dark days.

Vor attributing v4.2′s record to bad luck should be brought up in every thread.

55. Deadman Waiting says:

People arguing from “because risk” are helping to obscure the reality that even if we had a crystal ball and knew DRY SADDLE’s first season boxcars in advance, there would still be at least a 2:1 ratio in the peanut gallery concerning the threshold for “good enough”. Gagner had 49 pts in 79 games, which is darn close to 0.625 PPG and some people think he didn’t justify his first season. According to 18-Year Old NHL Player, Seguin managed just under 0.300 in his rookie season. Some hulking forward from the 1970s with a name that sounds like a female body part managed to dress for 74 games and put up a hair under 0.150 PPG in his rookie season. He wasn’t that much of a duker, either. I don’t think too many people would argue for keeping D. up if we knew in advance he would post 0.150 PPG. A few years into his career, mammoth female body part racked up a 39–goal season, so one could hardly argue that he was ruined for life by rookie droughts.

Heh. Grant Mulvey. Ironically (for our purposes) he was among the first ‘underage’ selections made as the NHL (in 1974) began to allow selections under 20 to ward off the WHA.

Was NHL’s youngest full-time player in 1974-75 season, starting the season just three weeks after his 18th birthday

57. russ99 says:

Zangetsu,

LOL. In German, unlike other languages, every letter is pronounced.

and “AI” is pronounced like “eye” both in the first syllable and the last.

So its dr-eye-s-eye-tl.

i hope Yak gets a nice long sortie with Draisaitl and Perron, that would be a killer soft minutes line and save Pouliot and Purcell for the tougher comp/zone starts

58. Romulus Apotheosis says:

As I’ve said before, Jozef Stumpel. He’s going to be Jozef Stumpel. And that is great. Seriously, if he hits the Stumpel range we should be really happy.

A right-handed center, Jozef Stümpel is known for his great hockey sense. He is a fairly large player with a good hands. He excels as a playmaker thanks to his vision, hockey IQ and very good passing-game. Stümpel is also a good two-way player. His career has been slowed down by injuries, especially in recent years, which has also had an effect on his skating. (Matias Strozyk, 2011)

excepting that LD is LH, that sure sounds like him. Big, smart. Not that fast. Creative play-maker.

played just under 1000 games and scored just under 700 points. That’s with a number of injuries factored in.

59. mumbai max says:

Deadman Waiting:
    People arguing from “because risk” are helping to obscure the reality that even if we had a crystal ball and knew DRY SADDLE’s first season boxcars in advance, there would still be at least a 2:1 ratio in the peanut gallery concerning the threshold for “good enough”.Gagner had 49 pts in 79 games, which is darn close to 0.625 PPG and some people think he didn’t justify his first season. According to 18-Year Old NHL Player, Seguin managed just under 0.300 in his rookie season.Some hulking forward from the 1970s with a name that sounds like a female body part managed to dress for 74 games and put up a hair under 0.150 PPG in his rookie season.He wasn’t that much of a duker, either.I don’t think too many people would argue for keeping D. up if we knew in advance he would post 0.150 PPG.A few years into his career, mammoth female body part racked up a 39–goal season, so one could hardly argue that he was ruined for life by rookie droughts.

If you sort this list by PPG, you find that Nuge had the 13th best 18 yo season ever. Pretty impressive. Only 85 points behind Wayne in first place!

60. gcw_rocks says:

Bank Shot,

RexLibris: Draisaitl was a 3rd overall pick.

Well said, sir. I wish the best for Leon as well, but its risky to count on him this season, and to rush his development. I would like to see him get another year of junior and at least a half season in the AHL before hitting the big club. Some time with Nelson would benefit Leon greatly.