If you love the underdog, Mark Arcobello is for you. Mark Arcobello couldn’t grab an NHL contract when he graduated college. He began his pro career on the lowest rung of the ladder, a minor league contract and a roster spot in the ECHL. Lordy. From there, Arcobello went about the business of passing more heralded players on the way. For Arcobello, time was and is of the essence: He has less of it and came from farther back. So far, he’s doing just fine.
MARK ARCOBELLO 13-14
VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER (CORSI REL)
RE 13-14 REVIEW
||MARK ARCOBELLO RE 13-14
||MARK ARCOBELLO ACTUAL 13-14
RE 14-15 PROJECTED
||MARK ARCOBELLO RE 14-15
- What happened last season? Arcobello earned 82 games, he got 41.
- Why? Coach Eakins made a lot of errors last season, this was one of them.
- Did Eakins have a good reason to abandon Arcobello? Hmmm. I would say no. Arcobello was the better option, even when in OKC.
- Can you offer proof? Well, Woodguy already has, here.
- Give me the thumbnail. First 13 games, Arcobello looks like he belongs. Oct 27 everyone has a bad game, October 29 Sam Gagner is back and Arco begins sliding down the depth chart. Eakins tries a few things but there’s no trust (plus the coach is drowning, never a good thing for the guy who isn’t established) and he’s down the road long before Valentine’s day. Woodguy’s item is a great read, recommend going over it again if only for the Gazdic effect.
- Why would Arcobello return to this? And that’s another thing, why did he sign that low-money deal? It’s a sweet deal for the Oilers. I think Arcobello made the deal because he sees some daylight here, and a chance to win a career in the NHL.
- Your RE is low, it should be higher. The trouble with both Draisaitl and Arcobello is they’re sharing (supposedly) the 2line and the 4line jobs, so it’s kind of a wonky deal.
- No they aren’t! Look Gordon is probably going to end up being 2nd in C’s total ice time, that’s how this team is going to do it.
- What are the combined numbers for Draisaitl and Arcobello? 20-43-63.
- You’re so wrong, that’s way too low! What were the combined numbers for Gagner and Arcobello a year ago? 14-41-53.
- Those are awful numbers. The less we know, the less sure we can be about RE. Draisaitl may play only 9 games, and there are going to be nights where the coach feels he’s better served by watching from the gondola. There will also be nights where Draisaitl is playing 4line because Arco is on fire (he was hot as Hades in October, remember) and times when the opposite is true.
- You don’t have either man grabbing the job. Right.
- I am most unhappy with your efforts here. Right.
- Do them again! Well, no.
- You’re SUCH a tit! I can see either man getting 45-50 points if they were clearly established as the only option at 2line C. That is not the case.
- Uh, HELLO?!?! Three scoring lines? Riiiight. I’ll believe it when I see it. Oilers will have the Nuge line, the Arco/Leon line, the Gordon line and the Gazdic show.
- Who would you like to see on Arcobello’s wings? Ideally? Perron and Eberle. He scored well with them at 5×5 (small sample size) and all three players used their head for more than a hat rack. All three can play with skill.
- None of them is a driver. One of the key elements for Edmonton this season is to find someone who can push the river aside from Hall. This line (Perron-Arco-Eberle) isn’t perfect—they’re all right-handed—but there’s a chance they can push a little and Arco gives them a reliable center without the puck.
- Is that the pairing you’d like for Leon as well? Yes. For different reasons, but yes.
- What are those reasons? Well, just as Horcoff mentored Hall and Eberle as rookies, Leon’s step into the NHL would be best served by having creative, veteran wingers who know what they’re doing. Purcell would also work, and Pouliot too although I suspect he ends up on the Gordon line with Hendricks.
- Back to Arcobello. Would you be shocked to see him score 50 points? Yes.
- More shocked to see him score 50, or Leon score 50? Arcobello.
- ASS! I knew you hated him! I don’t hate him, just not convinced he possesses that kind of offensive ability. He can play on my team any day.
- Until something better comes along? I don’t believe you have a championship calibre team if Mark Arcobello plays 2line C.
- You don’t really like him do you? I really like him, he’s found money—the best kind. This is our annual trip to reasonable, and I don’t think he wins the job outright from the big kid from Germany.
- Why this song? It’s about dreaming , being alone, restless, and in places uncharted. That’s Mark Arcobello. There’s no template, he’s a solo dash vapor trail across the bleak terrain, and a wonder in his own right.