RE 14-15 TEDDY PURCELL: THIS FLIGHT TONIGHT

Chances are, if you’re trading your lottery pick sevens summers after arrival, things have not gone well in the recent past. For Oiler fans, that statement is worth both a tear and a giggle. It has been an enormous disappointment. Sam Gagner’s Oiler career ended in a wildly disappointing fashion, and for that reason I think it’s safe to say the return was better than expected under the circumstances.

TEDDY PURCELL 13-14

• 5×5 points per 60: 1.37 (7th among regular forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 3.34 (7th among regular forwards)
  • Qual Comp: 6th toughest among regular forwards (second-line opp)
  • Qual Team: 4th best teammates among regular forwards (second-line teammates)
  • Corsi Rel: 8.9 (best among regular forwards)
  • Corsi for % 5×5: 53.6
  • Corsi for % Rel 5×5: +3.5
  • Zone Start: 56.2% (2nd easiest among regular forwards)
  • Zone Finish: 52.0% (2nd best among regular forwards)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 157/7.64%
  • Boxcars: 81, 12-30-42

VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER (CORSI ON)

purcell sledgehammer 1

RE 14-15 PREVIEW

PPG NAME GP G A PTS
.488 TEDDY PURCELL RE 14-15 80 11 28 39

1. This is frustrating, dealing away lottery picks for role players. Sure. I agree. Having said that, I don’t think it was going to work out and Purcell perhaps represents a new day for the Oilers.
  2. Riiight. It was not a good value trade. I think Gagner will far outdistance Purcell when things are done, but also believe it was time to move on. I really like Sam Gagner, hope he has a helluva career, but it was time for the Oilers to grow up a little.
  3. And now we’re younger at center. Yes. That’s an issue for sure, however they haven’t played a game yet, we’ll see what tomorrow brings.
  4. Darkness. Oh come on, you haven’t been negative at all so far this summer, why start now?
  5. Right, good point. I’ll wait for the defense. There ya go!
  6. You like Purcell? Well enough, I guess. He’s an NHL player, has had some fine seasons and hey you never know.
  7. You have him repeating last season. Yes. It’s difficult to project a player moving from east to west, Tampa to Edmonton. I decided to stay the course.
  8. Purcell’s addition helps the team, but how much? The team’s 1-2-3 RW depth chart is Eberle-Yakupov-Purcell, that’s pretty damn good if Yak gets straightened away.
  9. Purcell, Pouliot, Fayne, that’s quite the addition. It reminds me of the Montreal Expos in about 1977. That winter, they added veterans Tony Perez, Dave Cash and Chris Speier in one winter and they went from 55 wins to 75. They had to make some decisions on some young players, but man did that team look better with the veterans.
  10. Did they lose good young players? Oh sure. Mike Jorgensen, Tim Foli, Andre Thornton, Bombo Rivera.
  11. BOMBO Rivera? Yes.
  12. Ha! Jesus. That was his real name.
  13. Who’s real name? Bombo’s.
  14. Bombo’s real name. Yes.
  15. Jesus. Bombo’s real name.
  16. That’s not how it goes. Fly ball.
  17. Fly ball? That’s what Bombo means.
  18. Where? I don’t know, wherever Bombo lives.
  19. I’d say Christ, but that’s probably what he calls his glove. Anything else about Purcell?
  20. Can he win faceoffs? He hasn’t been in that role forever, so one would think the answer is no.
  21. MacT used to move wingers to center all the time. Probably better options than Purcell.
  22. Like? Mark Arcobello and Will Acton were both at 50% or better last season.
  23. Will Acton? Yes. Certainly possible he plays for the Oilers this coming season.
  24. I hate you. Well, the truth is (from what we know) Edmonton has tried all summer to acquire a veteran center with offense (notably Olli Jokinen). It hasn’t happened, and when you keep checking down sooner or later the decision becomes more grey in nature. At this point, it’s probably like picking Mac apples for apple crisp. IS Chris Kelly a better bet than Mark Arcobello? Not for the money. DO you want to send away Jeff Petry for Cody Eakin? Not on this team. So, MacT might have a deal or two in his back pocket should he decide to pull the trigger, but they are grey deals, no black and white.
  25. Why this song? I chose it because it’s a pleasant surprise. It’s a famous song for Mitchell, but her version is not the well known track (Nazareth). However, it’s actually brilliant, with the guitar and the tone of her voice (Mitchell has a really interesting voice, especially the changes mid-verse. Very unique) and the lyrics combine anticipation and regret—which I suspect Purcell has experienced in equal amounts since the trade.
  26. Purcell’s going to help, but he’s not a center. Any Mitchell songs about that? Well, her plane hasn’t landed yet in the song, so there’s another verse.
  27. Bombo Murphy, this is a mess at center. It’s a long fly ball, wait until it lands.

56 Responses to "RE 14-15 TEDDY PURCELL: THIS FLIGHT TONIGHT"

1. Pouzar says:

LT,

Why do you hate Newfies?

2. theres oil in virginia says:

So, Who’s on first and Bombo’s in the outfield. Nice!

I wonder, though, if Purcell is 2RW and Yak is 3 for now.

3. Pouzar says:

Sidebar from E.F.

P.K. Subban has asked an arbitrator to provide him with a $8.5 million annual salary.

Montreal has countered with a $5.25 million offered and has specified that they would like the arbitrator to provide Subban with a one-year deal. The hearing is scheduled for Friday, but of course both sides can make it moot if they’re able to agree to terms before that date. Subban’s demands aren’t surprising given that he’s coming off of a great season and won the Norris Trophy in 2013. He’s experienced an interest in staying with the Canadiens for the long haul, but he won’t come cheap.

4. wheatnoil says:

theres oil in virginia:
    I wonder, though, if Purcell is 2RW and Yak is 3 for now.

I suspect the middle 6 combo of Arcobello, Draisaitl, Pouliot, Purcell, Yakupov and Perron will be in a blender for much of the season with the occasional winger getting bumped up to the 1-line at times if the wunderkids aren’t clicking. I don’t think there’ll be much to separate the 2nd and 3rd line.

If the 1-line is Power vs Power and ‘Gordon and Friends’ are stuck in Shawshank, that basically allows for the middle 6 to share middling competition. Luckily, that’s pretty much the scenario that both Pouliot and Purcell have had success in the past in regards to possession (and in Benoit’s case, 5×5/60 scoring).

5. soup says:

“Candy-gram for Bombo”

“Bombo likes Candy!”

That Bombo?

6. supernova says:

LT,

Is the right side better suited now for this team moving forward than last year?

Eberle-Hemsky-Yak. VS. Eberle-yak-Purcell

Not saying Purcell is better straight up but does this fit their needs better? Like size, development , possession, interchangeability, etc

7. Deadman Waiting says:

I don’t know whether Tuohimaa means “Rent-A-Goalie” as Bruce speculated this morning, but I do know something about young 18-year-old Juuse Saros who ate his lunch.

The saros is a period of 223 synodic months (approximately 6585.3211 days, or 18 years and 11⅓ days), that can be used to predict eclipses of the Sun and Moon.

This particular Saros eclipsed Tuohimaa’s entire solar system—Gun, Moon, and Uranus—so I figure “Saros” is Finnish for “Fist-of-God”.

2014 Edmonton Oilers prospects: #28 Frans Tuohimaa

8. slopitch says:

Purcell is an NHL player who can provide secondary offense. He’ll be an ok player, nothing special IMO.

I wonder which would have pissed off Oilers fans here more, keeping Gagner as 2C or not replacing him as 2C. I think MacT gets a replacement during camp myself.

9. theres oil in virginia says:

wheatnoil,

Yeah, I guess camp and preseason will help sort things out. Not a bad situation to be in – a bunch of interchangeable parts. I keep thinking that it might be good to have a “4th” line with young guys who get offensive zone starts, but not a lot of ice time. Have Gordon’s line be the “3rd” line, based on ice time. If Nuge gets better at faceoffs, it would really relieve some of the burden from Gordon, and allow you to start Nuge’s line anywhere you want without worry.

10. blainer says:

11. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I very much enjoyed the chatter this morning. Very good LT.

I like the Purcell trade, if only because it looks so much better than Clifford and Umberger.

I think the fans will see him as a kind of smaller (not by much) Penner. Offence and puck possession without the aggro the Oil fans love so much.

——–

I have a feeling Lander may be in the Acton role this year to be honest.

12. wheatnoil says:

theres oil in virginia,

Oh I agree with Gordon’s line getting more ice time… in fact, at even strength I could see Gordon getting the second most ice time among centres some games.

I see Nuge getting top comp – O zone push, Gordon getting top comp – D zone (15-20% zone starts like last year), Arco getting middle comp D-zone (not anywhere near as severe as Gordon) and Drai getting middle comp – O zone push.

Basically, Gordon gets stuck in Hell, and no one gets butter soft minutes so as to share the burden with Nuge (or whatever line Hall is on) saving the middle six from top comp.

Edit: with the exception of Hall, the wingers are pretty much interchangeable in this scenario, with some notable exceptions for the Gordon line.

13. russ99 says:

14. theres oil in virginia says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Rom, is that you (and not “you”)? Wait, I know how to tell:

“I think Gazdic is slated for 2 line when he returns from injury and they drafted Draisaitl as a checking forward.”

–––
    One of the strange things about Yak, to me anyway, is that he looks like he needs to have the puck a lot in order to get going, but he’s been a disaster with the puck at times when he holds on to it too long. It’s a delicate balance, perhaps similar to the balance that Perron has to walk with regard to taking/drawing penalties. I wonder if he just needs some chemistry with linemates to sort it out.

15. Numenius says:

I was initially ok with the Purcell trade, but really started getting excited about it when I saw his corgis. (um, I mean… ah, forget it)

No matter what quality of teammates he plays with, his CorsiRel is at or near the top of his team.

This is shamelessly stolen from Matt Henderson on BockeyHuzz:

Purcell TOI

2010-2011 14:06/G Lecavalier, Moore

2011-2012 16:07/G Stamkos, St Louis

2012-2013 16:44/G Stamkos, St Louis

2013-2014 16:27/G Killorn, Filpula

Purcell CorsiRel

2010-2011 +2.6% (3rd among Forwards)

2011-2012 +3.5% (1st among Forwards)

2012-2013 +2.1% (2nd among Forwards)

2013-2014 +3.5% (1st among Forwards)

Purcell P/60 5v5

2010-2011 1.89

2011-2012 2.40

2012-2013 2.07

2013-2014 1.40

One would think that Purcell’s high CorsiRel in ’11-’12 and ’12-’13 was simply due to playing with Stamkos, but when he didn’t play with him as much last year, he still managed to have the highest CorsiRel on the team (though didn’t score as much). That’s impressive. It suggests that he’s defensively responsible while being quite solid offensively as well. When could we ever say that about Gagner?

16. Hammers says:

russ99: Purcell should easily outscore those numbers based on past history, with the exception below:MacT and Eakins’ ridiculous notion that each line needs a big checking winger is going to undermine all four lines. Someone has to hold the fort vs. the toughs and defensive zone starts if our overall shot differential is going to move out of the red, and right now the best we can put out there is Pouliot – Gordon – Purcell. They may not plan it that way to begin with, but I’d be willing to bet that’s how it ends up, and it may take Ramsay becoming head coach to push it that way. Three scoring lines is a pipe dream, especially with our current roster. Do we want to win, or do we want to continue with fantasies?

17. soup says:

blainer: Arco needs to be played with players that have size.. you can have a possession line of Arco between Pouliot and Purcell and have that as line 2a and then give have perron with Draisiatl and Ebs as line 2b and have Yak up with Hall and Eberle..Yak will pot at least 30 if plays with Nuge and Hall at home at the very least. Hoping for a Hendricks Gordon and Yak 2 for the last line. This team has great size…what a difference from last year.

Play Yak on the 3rd with a competent winger and an up-and-coming centre. Let him earn his time and learn his craft before expecting him to bat lead off.

18. Soup Fascist says:

Hammers: Said the same thing last week . Gordon , Purcell , Pouliot on a typical 3rd line especially if Leon is sent back to junior . Arco , Ebs , Perron is 2nd & Lander , Hendricks , Pitlick/Joensuu for 4th .LEON is the key .

I just don’t see a world in which Leon is sent packing (barring a trade for a true #2C) back to P.A. If your 2 – 4 C are Arco, Gordon and Lander you are bringing a knife to a gun fight every night. With all the limitations and problems a rookie center brings, he will almost certainly outscore any of these guys by a wide margin. Unless a trade is made – Leon is a LOCK.

In terms of Purcell I think he has been brought in as a possession guy who has shown flashes of brilliance – albeit playing with Stamkos. My fear is if he and / or the team get off to a bad start he could become a lightning rod for the fanbase. It has been proven time and time again that nothing pisses off Oiler fans more than big guys who do not play somewhat physical. I mean Teddy had 13 hits ALL of last year. It’s hard to believe one would not get that many by accident. My Grandma throws 13 hits to get to the cashier on Seniors Tuesdays at Sobeys for Chrissake.

19. Pouzar says:

Just some food for thought:
    The number of 30+ goal scorers in the NHL dropped from 30 to 21 in the last 2 FULL years.
    There were 3 players over 40 goals last year.

20. Jordan says:

Pouzar:
    Just some food for thought:
    The number of 30+ goal scorers in the NHL dropped from 30 to 21 in the last 2 FULL years .
    Their were 3 players over 40 goals last year.

So, that would be 13-14 & 11-12?

Well the Oilers have been doing their part – few teams have let in more goals over that time than the Oilers (Thanks so much Panthers & Isles)!

What about you Los Angeles? How come you won’t help the game and let more pucks in the net, huh? God – some teams are so selfish.

21. Pouzar says:

Jordan,

Correct.

22. John Chambers says:

supernova,

Tell you what I like about Purcell at RW

For the last 20 years all you hear about is the Oilers “getting younger”. Forever and a day an inexperienced team, but with promise!

This offseason the Oilers got older. There mean age increased and that’s with the departure of Smyth.

The Oilers added age, but not in a foolish way. Guys who are mid-arc. I’m looking forward to October.

23. nafnikufesin says:

“Chances are, if you’re trading your lottery pick sevens summers after arrival”

Minor nitpicking, but Gagner wasn’t a lottery pick. After trading Smyth, we lost 15 in a row to fall into 5th last and a lottery position, but won our final game against Calgary that season to leapfrog Chicago out of the lottery spot. Of course, Chicago won the lottery and took Kane.

24. Yak2 says:

LT,

That RE for Purcell is terrible. You really think he’s going to do worse than last year? He’s going to get 50 points. Book it. 15-37-52.

25. Bruce McCurdy says:

Deadman Waiting:

2014 Edmonton Oilers prospects: #28 Frans Tuohimaa

Haha, good catch. I am intimately familiar with the Saros cycle, and in my other life have written a few columns touching on the subject (e.g. here and here if you’re interested).

I didn’t really want to get sidetracked on my post, so I just dropped a couple of references about Saros’ rather appropriate age and to goalies developing by sun dial and carried on.

I will say his is one of my favourite names in all of hockey and I wish young Juuse a long and productive career. In Nashville (spits).

PS: My favourite part of your quoted snippet on the Saros is “approximately 6585.3211 days.”

26. Bag of Pucks says:

For me the issue isn’t that they traded Gagner, it’s that they drafted him in the first place with Couture, Sutter, Backlund and others on the board.

We wrestle with this conundrum, is it the prospect or the development process? With Sam, I’m not sure how sending him back to Junior or marinating him in the A, creates more footspeed or the desire to backcheck? Possibly, a more patient development curve could’ve helped Gagner improve his FO% but surely talk of development process has to lessen in importance as the player reaches 5+ years in the league?

We know what Sam Gagner is now as a professional hockey player, an offensively skilled, defensively inept player who cheats for offense and sucks on the dot.

The Oilers drafted a one dimensional player. We can blame the Oilers’ development process for not adding the additional dimensions, gifting him the big contracts for not creating the desire to improve, or we can ask ourselves, at what point is a professional responsible for his own development?

The Oilers may have failed Gagner early in his career, but two years ago he was given a sizeable contract and a mandate to improve his deficiencies. It didn’t happen. I blame the player.

And, I think it’s entirely possible that by the 50 game mark of Leon’s career, no one will be pining for the return of Sam Gagner. We have our upgrade and it’s a MASSIVE one. Better days ahead.

27. Mr DeBakey says:

Yak2:
    LT,

Because I’m a pedant,
    I’d like to remind those of you following along at home that David Booth had a slightly higher Goal/Game rate during his time in the SE Division than Mr Purcell did during his tenure in that same Division.

Conduct yourself accordingly.

MacT is going to regret not signing Petry to 4 x $5 something.

Kulikov 3 years $13 million = 2RFA x $3.5 + 1UFA x $6 million
    Gardiner and Fowler 5 years $20 million = 4RFA x $3.5 +1 UFA x $6 million

Fowler and Gardiner have pretty much set the market for Justin Schultz. 5 x $4million. 4 RFA years plus one UFA.

Petry is also something all those guys are not, a more scarce right shot D.

29. Jordan says:

godot10,

Actually, both Petry and Jultz are right-handers.

Agree with you about the regret bit though. Not the best call IMO. Hopefully Jultz’ deal makes up for it.

30. HeavySig says:

LT, why do you hate apple crisp?

Hot, out of the oven (using McIntosh apples instead of the superior Granny Smith variety because that is what you sold in Boy Scouts as a fundraiser and you have a whole damn box of them in the cold room downstairs), in a bowl with a scoop of French Vanilla ice cream melting down into it.

Guarding your bowl from your siblings with your elbows on the couch while watching HNIC, as the dog stares you down in hopes of getting last licks in.

Are you some kind of communist?

HeavySig:
    LT, why do you hate apple crisp?

Are you some kind of communist?

SO this. Except the ice cream was co-op.

32. nycoil says:

Bag of Pucks,

Sam Gagner’s NHLE was out of this world good. He shredded the Junior Super Series. He came to camp, won the job, put up almost 50pts his rookie year. At some point the wheels fell off the wagon with him, I know it’s easy to say in hindsight he was riding P. Kane’s coattails (but that doesn’t explain his awesome rookie year), or that the Oilers rushed him. I don’t know what went wrong specifically for Sam. This is a young man who has the skill (and I don’t care what luck was involved) and the brains to have an 8pt game against the friggin’ Blackhawks. Did I have a slight preference for Jake Voracek at the time of the draft? Yes, but for the first few years I thought the Oilers were right and I was dead wrong. But hell, Voracek needed a change of scenery to truly blossom as well. We could be about to witness the same for Sam.

I’m sad it didn’t work out for the Oilers and Gagner. I would love one day to hear from him in a candid interview about what he thinks went wrong for him here. Too many coaching changes? Injuries? Poorly defined role? Bad system? He took success for granted? Whatever the reasons may be. I’d love to hear from him on the matter down the line when it isn’t as bad to finger-point as now.

33. Hammers says:

soup: Not sure why there is the push to break up the top line. Ebs down the batting order in favor of Yak makes no sense. That is, unless the aim is to get Yak going by putting him with RNH and Hall. To that I’d say it is even more foolish. Where Yak’s talents are substantial, his hockey fundamentals are quite poor. Gifting him the top line position weakens the top line.

Unless the aim is to get Yak going . You said it and that’s why you do it for a few games

34. nycoil says:

Lowetide: SO this. Except the ice cream was co-op.

35. Frank The Dog says:

slopitch:

I’d prefer Sam on 2RW over Teddy but that’s just because I do believe Sam will be fixed with NHL calibre coaching which he was deprived of here for his entire tenure under Bucky and most recently, Eakins. I think next year’s coaching team coulda woulda fixed Sam but we’ll see what PHx does with him instead. I think Sam would be a better 2RW than Purcell but Purcell is probably a better 3RW due to size and defensive chops, and perhaps better fit for the team if Yak can get his scoring legs on under said NHL coach and AHL fighting coach and encourager.

36. B S says:

nycoil:
    Bag of Pucks,

Sam Gagner’s NHLE was out of this world good. He shredded the Junior Super Series. He came to camp, won the job, put up almost 50pts his rookie year. At some point the wheels fell off the wagon with him,I know it’s easy to say in hindsight he was riding P. Kane’s coattails (but that doesn’t explain his awesome rookie year), or that the Oilers rushed him. I don’t know what went wrong specifically for Sam. This is a young man who has the skill (and I don’t care what luck was involved) and the brains to have an 8pt game against the friggin’ Blackhawks. Did I have a slight preference for Jake Voracek at the time of the draft? Yes, but for the first few years I thought the Oilers were right and I was dead wrong. But hell, Voracekt needed a change of scenery to truly blossom as well. We could be about to witness the same for Sam.

Well put. And assuming Gagner continues to play center his FO% will probably improve. The vast majority of centers with good FO% are over 25, this is a skill born from experience, not simply talent.

37. Frank The Dog says:

blainer:
    Arco needs to be played with players that have size.. you can have a possession line of Arco between Pouliot and Purcell and have that as line 2a and then give have Perron with Draisatl and Ebs as line 2b and have Yak up with Hall and Eberle..Yak will pot at least 30 if plays with Nuge and Hall at home at the very least. Hoping for a Hendricks Gordon and Yak 2 for the last line. This team has great size…what a difference from last year.

iirc Yak never clicked with Hall and Nuge last season. Perhaps later in the season if/when Yak gets his mojo back. I’d definitely put Arco between Pouliot and Purcell, to give the line some size, for a 2b line, and have Drai between Perron and Yak as a sheltered minutes scoring line. I believe Yak and Perron compliment each other, there is already some chemistry there, and each shoots opposite to their preferred wing position. If Yak and Drai don’t earn the minutes, then you can allow Perron to slide up and down to relieve any of the LW or RW’s.

That would leave the Shawshank line with Gordon centering Hendricks and Lander/Pitlick.

38. Frank The Dog says:

nycoil:
    Bag of Pucks,

Sam Gagner’s NHLE was out of this world good. He shredded the Junior Super Series. He came to camp, won the job, put up almost 50pts his rookie year. At some point the wheels fell off the wagon with him,I know it’s easy to say in hindsight he was riding P. Kane’s coattails (but that doesn’t explain his awesome rookie year), or that the Oilers rushed him. I don’t know what went wrong specifically for Sam. This is a young man who has the skill (and I don’t care what luck was involved) and the brains to have an 8pt game against the friggin’ Blackhawks. Did I have a slight preference for Jake Voracek at the time of the draft? Yes, but for the first few years I thought the Oilers were right and I was dead wrong. But hell, Voracek needed a change of scenery to truly blossom as well. We could be about to witness the same for Sam.

Too few coaching changes. Gags joined the team at the same time as Kelly Buchberger, and both left last season. Is it reasonable to assume that could have impacted his growth? Interesting that they call 35-35-10 .500 season. I’d call that 35 wins, 45 losses, or a .438 season. Was that his greatest coaching accomplishment?

39. Bag of Pucks says:

nycoil:
    Bag of Pucks,

I would love to hear the explanation (excuses?) as well. Don’t think you’ll hear the ‘it was partially my fault’ narrative soon. Players don’t typically share those confessions until the bio 30 years after retirement, if they share them at all.

‘Because Tippet’ I do think Sam will make some incremental progress as a two way forward this season, and I am pulling for him as he seems like a genuinely nice guy (and I’ll always remember his moxie in dropping the gloves in response to Quinn dropping him down the depth chart).

It won’t surprise me in the least however if Gagner does not improve ‘substantially’ as a player and follows the career trajectory of a lot of recent Oiler castoffs >New Team>Bad Team>Out of the League. The Oilers tried to find a way to work around it for a number of years, but the reality is, Gagner is SLOW. Players can be slow and physical in the NHL and/or slow and defensively sound, but slow and one dimensional? That’s a recipe for early retirement imo. But maybe he’ll thrive in a different role that minimizes that weakness.

Btw, in terms of anecdotal evidence, I’ve always felt that Gagner apologists had a case for the org failing him with this quote. http://www.mc79hockey.com/2013/09/quinn-on-gagner/ The debatable quality of Quinn’s recall aside, it seems to paint a fairly clear picture of an org divided on a player’s development process at a critical juncture in his career. Again, the question for me is, why did they draft the slow player in the first place? As you say, clearly the RE was driving the conversation. And maybe there was some residual hangover in the org from an earlier draft where they went speed (Kelly) instead of production (Doan)?

The Oilers’ long fallow period at the draft is well documented, and I think one of the common factors in that under-performance was an overemphasis on skating speed to the detriment of other hockey skills. The Oilers drafted a LOT of fast skaters that couldn’t play hockey very well before they drafted Gagner.

40. One-Timer says:

nycoil: You’re just one of the 29% of all sheep who prefer vanilla ice cream over the more “exotic” flavours! P.S. Apple Pie > Apple Crisp. Apple Crisp reminds me of Terry Crisp. Apple Pie reminds me of Shannon Elizabeth (or is that too young for this blog?).

And LT said something about a co-op so he is a commie.

41. B S says:

Bag of Pucks:

Heh, Cogliano.

42. G Money says:

Mr DeBakey: Because I’m a pedant,

Conduct yourself accordingly.

Nothing like using a sample size of one to really drive home your point…

And if you ARE going to be a pedant and insist on using Booth as an analog for Purcell, it might be worthwhile noting that Booth’s last year in the SE he put up 40 pts in 82 (0.488 ppg) and the next year in the WC he put up 29 in 56 (0.518 ppg). So by that measure, shouldn’t we be expecting Purcell to do better next year?

An objective observer might be inclined to think that the overall decline in Booth’s numbers *might* have something to do with two severe concussions and a serious MCL injury, but hey, yeah the whole SE thing really works just as well, since they don’t have NHL players or goalies there.

43. G Money says:

One-Timer: None of the crusty olduns on this blog would kick her out of bed for eating crackers, but they might still give her the boot because of the movies she’s been in.

44. Bag of Pucks says:

G Money: I’m rapidly approaching the age where I’m on the ‘cracker eating’ rather than ‘kicking out’ side of the situation.

This is why we can’t have nice things.

45. G Money says:

Bag of Pucks,

I actually do have a shirt that says “*I* am why we can’t have nice things.” So … guilty as charged!

On the other hand, what’s wrong with eating crackers in bed with Shannon Elizabeth?

46. Bag of Pucks says:

G Money:
    Bag of Pucks,

48. Henry says:

G Money,

The webcam will crack.

49. G Money says:

Bag of Pucks: To be fair though, I’ve never heard of that part of the female anatomy referred to as ‘crackers’ before?

It’s a PG13 site.

Lowetide: Kool-Aid

We’re Oiler fans. We’re all GALLONS into the Kool-Aid at this point!

50. Jordan says:

Lowetide: There was no french vanilla ice cream in the stores of my childhood. None. Kool-Aid and Freshie, but no french vanilla ice cream. Maple walnut ice cream was available.

Maple Walnut is still good stuff.

My dad would easily trade all the vanilla ice cream in the world for a scoop of Maple Walnut.

Of course, he’d also trade all the Maple Walnut ice cream in the world for a scoop of rum raisin, so clearly it’s relative.

Bag of Pucks: Given all the math savants we have on the site, I typically avoid statements with numeric absolutes but I feel comfortable in declaring with absolute confidence, there is absolutely, sweet FA nothing (i.e. Zero to the power of infinity) wrong with eating crackers in bed with Shannon Elizabeth.

I’d rather go with ice cream and Shannon Elizabeth, even if it is co-op vanilla. Somehow, I think it would still be most enjoyable. However, the reasons not to do so would include:
    – wife
    – litigation
    – alimony
    – child/children

Still, there’s always ice cream.

51. Bag of Pucks says:

Since we’re getting a wee bit old school chauvinistic at the moment, thought some of the guys would get a laugh out of this clip a buddy forwarded me today.

My defense in posting this is it is analytics based : )

52. Mr DeBakey says:

G Money: Nothing like using a sample size of one to really drive home your point…

Well….
    2. Ex-Hurricane Eric Cole was a “disappointment” in his brief spell with the Oilers
    3. I can remember when Olli Jokinen, then a Panther, was considered by the fanboys to be a “True Number 1″ Center due to his scoring exploits.

I do agree on the injury thing about Booth
    And I should’ve qualified my comment
    But I was having too much fun being pedantic

53. nycoil says:

I know the conversation has moved on to another post. But, in case you see this. Maple walnut ice cream. Brings back memories. Growing up in Tokyo, I went to an international school and I was one of two Canadian kids in my grade. Every year, this international school would host a food fair that was known throughout Tokyo. You know, Indian kids and Chinese kids and Brits and Americans and Aussies, etc. And they’d have booths showcasing the food from each country. You can guess the Indian booths were popular with curry and samosas, etc., Thai, too. Italian was always popular. But you know what always sold the best among all the booths every year?

The Canadian. You know what we sold as Canadian food? blueberry muffins (homemade by the moms) and maple walnut ice cream. 10,000 KMs apart, we speak the same language, sir.

P.S. All proceeds went to good causes like charities and field trips for the kids!

54. Bruce McCurdy says:

At least one can still find maple walnut ice cream at the grocery store. If one wants to track down the ultimate flavour, orange pineapple, one needs to go to a place like Mackay’s ice Cream Parlour in Cochrane, AB. Almost worth the trip for that purpose alone!