RE 14-15 TYLER PITLICK: CIRCLE GAME

Tyler Pitlick’s career progression has been a carousel—constant movement, and no time for stopping and settling in one place. His pro career began with three seasons (mostly) in Oklahoma City, but even at that he didn’t see the ice as much as he should have because of injury and ineffective play. It won’t matter much if he makes it, and ‘making it’ is pretty important this fall.

TYLER PITLICK 13-14

• 5×5 points per 60: 0.68 (13th among forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: nil
  • Qual Comp: 14th toughest competition among regulars (fourth line)
  • Qual Team: 12th best competition among regulars (third line)
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 41.5
  • Corsi for 5×5 % REL: -2.9
  • Zone Start: 23% (3rd toughest on the team among regular forwards)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 9 shots/11.1% (4th among forwards with more than 5 shots)
  • Boxcars: 10GP, 1-0-1

VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER (CORSI REL)

pitlick vollman

RE 13-14 REVIEW

PPG NAME GP G A PTS
.446 TYLER PITLICK OKC RE 13-14 56 9 16 25
.564 TYLER PITLICK OKC ACTUAL 13-14 39 8 14 22

RE 14-15 PREVIEW

PPG NAME GP G A PTS
.222 TYLER PITLICK RE 14-15 45 3 7 10

1. So, he finally arrives? Pitlick probably plays more in the NHL a year ago without the injury. I think Dallas Eakins likes what he brings, and possibly sees a useful player.
  2. Eakins noticed him? Right from the beginning. Dallas Eakins in pre-season: “I keep trying to send him down and he keeps playing like that. Every time I turned around he was running into somebody. I grabbed him after the second period and asked him if he wanted to play in the NHL because if he keeps playing like that, it won’t be too long until he is. He needs to keep the fire lit and he bought himself another game tomorrow.”
  3. If he doesn’t make it, what will be the culprit? Goal-scoring ability. Pitlick is not an offensive impact player at any pro level.
  4. Is there anything about his past that suggests Pitlick can score goals? He popped 22 EV goals in Medicine Hat, that’s a good total. At the pro level, he has 11 goals in his last 83 AHL games. That’s exactly the same number as Curtis Hamilton in the same number of games. These are poor totals for a legit forward prospect looking for NHL employment.
  5. Is he a power forward? No. I asked Jim Byers several times and he suggested that Pitlick (6.02, 193) has a physical presence and can hit people, but we shouldn’t be expecting a power-forward type.
  6. Any good news from that small NHL sample size? His Corsi for 5×5% isn’t great, but considering the zone start it’s reasonable for a rookie. I’m not saying he’s a player, but there’s some positive indicators here.
  7. He’s always looked like a player. Yes, he has. He’s a ‘saw him good’ dream, this Pitlick fellow. His goal was nice, driving down the wing and bam! A nice preview of coming attractions, even if it only happens 12 times a year. If that happens.
  8. Can he be that 4line RW for the Gordon-Hendricks line? I thought MacT would get a Winnik for his coach, but instead the battle for 11-12F will come down to Pitlick, Joensuu, Hendricks, Lander, Gazdic, Pinizzotto, Pakarinen and anyone else who plays well enough to get consideration.
  9. Surely Hendricks is a lock. Well, that’s not necessarily true. If the Oilers need some cap space, the Hendricks role (which I see as being extreme zone start 4line veteran winger) may fall to a younger, less expensive option.
  10. Seriously? Oh yeah, for sure.
  11. Hendricks has no value! You know, veteran players have value. Hendricks can do some things and is a well-respected player. However, he makes full bore and more for his ability, so that’s an area Edmonton could slice.
  12. Who replaces him? Maybe Lander, maybe someone not currently in the organization. I’m not saying it will happen, but it could.
  13. So, a 4line of Lander-Gordon-Pitlick? Maybe. I’m not absolutely convinced Gordon is on the 4line, it might be a 3line of Pouliot-Gordon-Purcell for many nights this coming season. Leaving a 4line of Hendricks-Arcobello-Pitlick or something similar.
  14. Is this a make or break season for Pitlick’s Oilers career? It’s pretty important.
  15. If he plays 45 games in the NHL, do they re-sign him? Depending on performance, yes I think so.
  16. He’ll never be what they thought they were getting. How so? Role players and checkers are former junior and college scorers. This isn’t terribly different than the Ethan Moreau story, save for draft number. Pitlick’s progress has meandered and his role has been altered, but that’s part of growing up and finding your way.
  17. The circle game? Yes. It’s part of what we all go through as young people. The dreams you have carry you to a new day, and perhaps it doesn’t look exactly as planned but it’s your story, you own it. It’s authentic.
  18. How many times have you heard this song? Many times, this song and others like it from the folk era. If you grew up in Canada during the 1960s, The Circle Game and Canadian Railroad Trilogy (Lightfoot) and many others are embedded in your brain. I watched Singalong Jubilee all the time, most Canadian kids from my era did, too. Lots of songs Canadian kids would remember well but are obscure today. Lightfoot was on all the time, Guess Who had their own show from Winnipeg.
  19. Was this his best pro season? Oh sure, you bet. Some real hope now. There were some trying times, though.  Tyler Pitlick: “I went from highest of highs, scoring my first NHL goal, to a torn ACL. It was tough mentally to take that. But those things happen, you just have to stick with it. We still have lots of season left and hopefully I can come back and start off where I left off.”
  20. I’ve heard people say Pitlick and Hamilton’s progress was harmed by lack of playing time. Do you agree? Not really, no. I think coach Todd Nelson’s job is to make these kids earn playing time, and if they don’t well that’s on them. If you look back on MacT’s coaching career, a lot of Pisani’s passed a lot of Rita’s on the way to the NHL. You have to hold people accountable, and giving at-bats to those undeserving is a fool’s game. If Teemu Hartikainen was the better player, then play the man. And Nelson did in fact play his best options. Pitlick and Hamilton still have a chance, and would be farther along if they’d remained healthy. I have a hard time demonizing the coach on this one.

64 Responses to "RE 14-15 TYLER PITLICK: CIRCLE GAME"

today on the Lowdown at 10 TSN 1260:

10:05 Dennis King
    10:25 Alannah Phillips CFL is for Girls
    11:00 Justin Bourne, The Score
    11:25 Kent Ridley, Ridley Scouting

See you on the radio!

2. Ca$h-Money! says:

It would be so nice if he turned out. I think this needs to be a breakout season for one of the depth forwards to really step forward, and of them I believe Pitlick represents the best option for a large-but-possession-focused new age 4th line role. I like his skating and aggressiveness, I just hope that starts to show up on the stats page (both advanced and basic).

3. supernova says:

This is a much larger discussion but I disagree here.

If we could go back and reset his development, once he was injured in junior he should have played the next season there as well, he was just starting to taste success. Instead he was overcoming injury, moving to a new place again and playing against men. Nelson might have done the right thing in making him earn ice time, but the organization didn’t “set him up for success” at that point.

Nelson’s main criteria was to win first and then develop second, which is the reverse now.

A lot still falls on the player but the organization HAS to understand its players and treat each one differently. I do like the development changes under MacT in this area, he has placed an emphasis on development at the farm and to play the kids. Also giving the kids a sample of the NHL ( & that large pay cheque they earn even for a day or two) . The players recognize these things and work harder once they sample this.

4. bassguy says:

Hi LT, I remember music hop!.(guess who from winnipeg)and one show or he might have been a guest in the band, Lenny Breau!!.and seeing Shirley Eikhard as a young singer alongside Anne Murray..I think the band in the vancouver version was called the strawberrys or sometning like that but it was Chiliwack

5. Hammers says:

I’m a bit surprised you have him playing 45 games as that probably means Joensuu is gone. Unless traded Lander has to stay and if Leon goes back his the 4th line “C” . . I also said Gordon / Pouliot / Purcell would or should be the 3rd line . Hadn’t thought about the departure of Hendricks partly because he could also slot into 4th line “C” if Leon goes back and there are injuries .down the middle .. This season could be real interesting with questions like Will Leon play more than 9 games? What happens if both Nurse &Klefbom look to good to send down ? Do they trade Petry for Eakin if Nurse & or Klefbom do stay ? Will the trade for a “C” happen ? Will LT get his 3 for 1 tradeby this fall ? ( could happen )

6. justDOit says:

bassguy,

Lenny Breau was on local tv in the Peg? So cool. By the age of 12, Lenny had learned (and mastered) all of Chet Atkins’ stuff, so he drifted into the world of jazz guitar, where there were fewer ‘boundaries’ on how or what you could play. He even had a 7 string guitar built for himself, to facilitate playing melodies over top of complex jazz chords.

Chet Atkins, Liona Boyd, Steve Vai – ask any of them who they think the best guitar player is/was, and Lenny’s name if first to their lips. There’s a great documentary of Lenny out there somewhere.

7. Bag of Pucks says:

Love the photo. Reminds me of road hockey – the guy with his stick down wanting you to pass him the puck – 3 frickin’ feet to your left.

supernova:

I have no doubt they’ll play, and consistently, but a feature role in year one in the AHL? Yakimov may force the issue, but if he’s getttng killed at center they’ll move him over.

9. bassguy says:

justDOit,

Hi again, that doc was done by his daughter Emily who lived in edmonton a while back…Lenny had a singer for a wife for some time(from here)..you probably know this story but when lenny showed up at Chet Atkins house he told Chet he had learned all his music!..”ok. well play me something”..so Lenny played him a tune Chet had recorded..much to his amazement Chet stopped him in midflight and said, ya but I had overdubbed multiple tracks!!..you are playing everything at once!!

bassguy:
    justDOit,

That’s awesome, thanks for telling that story.

Bag of Pucks:

And the rapid stick taps right? Just in case you can’t SEE the guy. :-)

12. justDOit says:

bassguy,

He was a generational musician, much like Gretzky or Orr were athletes. Here’s the best way to sum up Lenny’s talent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX9re6k9k8c

13. GATO BANDIDO says:

Now I’m all nostalgic for childhood musical TV: The Irish Rovers, Stompin’ Tom Conners, The Pig and Whistle, Tommy Hunter…

bassguy:

Good times. Years ago, my cousin came to visit me in Maidstone (summer, mabye 1973) and told me about this cool band Applejack who played at his high school.

Two years later, I bought Trooper’s debut album. :-)

GATO BANDIDO:

Yep! Carlton Showband! Come in BOMP BOMP! TO THE PIG N’ WHISTLE!

16. supernova says:

Lowetide: If you’re going to bench Hartikainen and force Hamilton into the lineup, then all is lost. Players have to earn their playing time and that did not happen. The idea that the rivers will part for Moroz is noxious and incorrect. You can’t develop talent that way.

LT,

Each player is different.

My point is over handling each player. The scale for Hamilton is different for Moroz and for Pitlick.

The issue I had with Pitlick is that Hamilton was also breaking on to the team, amongst other young players. They tried to do to much at one time.

Also they chose to have Players like Keller, Green, Hunter Trembkay, etc.

Is it right to have Pitlick, Hamilton, cornet, Harti, etc all trying to make it at the same time?

Part of me says yes. But we see high levels of washed out players.

This isn’t the Detroit Model or the Tampa Bay model or the LA kings model.

It has a direct correlation to the success of after 1st round picks. Direct.

The fact is they had the option of sending Pitlick back once injured, they chose to jam players into the system and we are left here 4 plus years later with none on the team.

That strongest survive model isn’t working. Whether we agree ideologically or not.

17. flyfish1168 says:

JMHO.Nice artilce. I watched Tyler play in Medicine Hat a few times. back then it appearred like he was heading in the direction of a power forward with net presences, excellant shot but had some issues in tight quarters. I cheer for him to make it full time.

18. bassguy says:

Hi again Lt and Justdoit, with only 2 maybe 3 channels we didnt have alot of choices for tv!..but thats when you would watch pretty well everything between sing along jubilee(was that before hockey night in canada?..sometimes ,or right after possibly..and gene maclennan(sp?)who wrote snow bird amongst many other great songs was one of the guitar players..put your hand in the hand etc) Davey and goliath and hymn sing!!

19. justDOit says:

bassguy,

I just found an episode of The Lenny Breau show, CBC Winnipeg, 1966.

20. theres oil in virginia says:

I can’t see any way that Hendricks loses his job to Pitlick, regardless of salary differential. I think that Pitlick is competing with Lander on the wing for a job and he’s not leading. Also, I thought his first goal was a bit of a muffin, but I’m not one to complain about how it gets scored. I guess some of this will get sorted out in TC.

So, innocent question here, why don’t folks complain about Pitlick being taken in the 2nd round, like we hear regarding Moroz, when he presents no offense either?

21. Oilanderp says:

And the rapid stick taps right? Just in case you can’t SEE the guy. :-)

EA Sports NHL series is more realistic than I thought! If you go play an “online team play” game you can barely hear yourself think with the constant stick tapping of 9 year olds who think they are Gretzkys (who?), all who want the puck, and want it RIGHT NOW.

*tap tap tap*

22. russ99 says:

If Pitlick plays 45 games in Edmonton this year, that would either be due to a disastrous run of injuries and/or a major failure by the front office.

23. russ99 says:

Oilanderp,

Which is why I rarely play games online, especially sports games – and ones where you need to wear a headseat. LOL

Kind of bummed that the annoying online kid invasion is likely coming to PS4 this christmas…

24. bendelson says:

theres oil in virginia: I think that Pitlick is competing with Lander on the wing for a job and he’s not leading.

I think we have to view Lander > Pitlick with the roster as it stands. The Oilers are very light in the PK department. Without Lander in the line-up it’s worse (unless the goal is to have guys like Perron and RNH spending significant time on the PK).

This is the main reason Hendricks is not going anywhere this season. He is without quesiton the #2 PK forward on the team. He is required.

25. Pouzar says:

Earning your ice time? What the **** is that?

26. Romulus Apotheosis says:

With the playing time.

A couple of points.

We do know that MacT signalled a change of philosophy on this. I suspect part of that relates to roster construction, i.e., less AHL vets. But part also concerns playing time. IIRC, as one concrete example, Nelson mentioned that the club had asked him to play Winquist in a playoff game to get a look at him.

Another point might be that Hartikainen beating out Pitlick isn’t an issue as both were drafted prospects being tracked to the NHL with any luck. I think the concern may have been more that guys like Cheechoo, who were basically short-term AHL ringers, were taking up TOI.

27. Bag of Pucks says:

theres oil in virginia:

That’s a great question. For me, both players are 25% lottery tickets.

But for some, Pitlick was a value pick while Moroz was a walkabout/coke machine. Bias? Spin? Valid?

Given the % of lower picks that actually make the show, we expend a TON of energy considering & discussing the career paths of guys who’ll be lucky to get a cup of coffee. It makes for interesting water cooler talk, and I do enjoy it, but for the purposes of this rebuild – it’s way more important that the Oilers scouts went 3-for-3 with those 1OVs,

That’s what will make the next couple of years so interesting imho. We are reaching the crux of this rebuild where we’ll start to see whether this core has the ability to become a true championship team or whether they’ll fall into the far more common category of teams (SJ, OTT, VAN, etc.) that were good enough to compete for a championship, but never good enough to win it.

RNH and Yakupov have to reach the elite level of Hall. The entire rebuild is predicated on that notion. If they don’t show signs this season, the prospects of actually winning the Cup with this core become more questionable. The Oilers do have some ‘found money’ opportunities with players like Klefbom, Schultz and Eberle. Much like the Hawks had players like Seabrook, Keith and Bolland before their surefire picks (Toews and Kane) came along, that certainly helps.

Fingers crossed!

28. Bag of Pucks says:

If we could jump in the Hot Tub Time Machine, does a core of Seguin, Landeskog and Murray (or even Trouba) give us a better potential championship core than Hall, RNH and Yakupov?

Based on the early returns, I think you have to say yes. Though I loathe replacing Hall with Seguin in that scenario (think Tyler benefits a ton from playing with Benn), Seguin is trending as a surefire C pick while we’re still waiting on Nuge.

I’m still hopeful that our 1OVs will pass the 2OVs on the outside corner to make the answer to that question ‘no’

Bottom line, we need big seasons from Yak and Nuge. How about playing them on the same line? Now there’s a thought.

29. supernova says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    With the playing time.

A couple of points.

Bag of Pucks,

I agree that it is do to roster construction, and emphasis on development of the kids.

My issue is Harti beating out Pitlick for ice time, that is more than fair. My issue is the Cheechoo types that always seem to be around the Oilers farm, these players have essentially no shot at making the big club. These aren’t Denis Grebeshkov gambles where the management thinks they can improve the big club. I can name a number of players that Oilers signed and placed on their farm who in all likelihood had a 1% chance ( approx) of ever playing for the Oilers.

aside from the odd Center or experience D or goalie, i am not in favor of having older wingers taking top 6 time away from the kids.

A Jouenssu is different than a cheechoo, he was signed for the majors not for the minors, if they have to send him down its because he lost the battle.

Ryan Hamilton is a very borderline signing to me.

LT does his look back and has facts around age, games played in the minors, development path, etc.

Why put players on the farm that are far outside of this type of tracking?

all it does is take minutes away from prospects who can use “at-bats”

As the Oilers improve and start drafting after pick 10, I expect to see a player (winger) Picked say 15th overall sent to the minors and compete against other similar aged players for top 6 minutes.

30. mumbai max says:

Lowetide: Yep! Carlton Showband! Come in BOMP BOMP! TO THE PIG N’ WHISTLE!

And let’s not forget Juliette

31. digdeepnbleedblue says:

Always liked this player. North south type. Cheats for defence. Probably why he will never be a stats porn star. I get the impression the centre in him (and Lord Nelson’s learnings) lead to this positive trait. Plus, he hits like a fucking pick-up truck. Love it! Rooks got a hard shot too.

His only goal in the show was more of a oops (fanned), however. Good news: he did drive hard to the net.

Prognosis: perfect year for him to grab 4th line right wing. And, I’m guessing 65g with a 10 and 10 split and over 200 hits. If he achieves this and is even or slightly plus the season will be a epic win for this player and the org.

Hopeful comparable: Clutterfucker! A girl can dream can’t she…

I think the fight comes down to him, Pinizzotto and Joensuu for that spot. My monopoly money is on this cat.

Lander? He’s almost a lock and the only player I see challenging him is Acton. Like Will or not that seems to be the break down there. One of the 13th or 14th forwards needs to be a centre.

Can’t wait for TC. The money is on the table, the ball is spinning. All we need now is 13 black, baby!

32. Bag of Pucks says:

I would think OKC mgmt has an inherent conflict of interest. On one hand, the Oil want them to play the kids to satisfy their mandate as a development pipeline. On the other hand, their paying customers want to see a competitive team being iced.

This is where you hope Darryl ‘Deep Pockets’ Katz is ok with the first mandate trumping the latter – gate receipts be damned.

Based on the arena negotiations though, he doesn’t strike me as a ‘win at all costs guy’ Certainly, he’ll open the wallet but I’m 100% sure he has to buy into the business case. I think fiscal considerations do factor into the decision making for Hockey Ops. It’s just the way of the world.

Honestly, if Cheecho can sell a few extra tix in OKC (and believe me, I’m not convinced he does in that market), that thought has to cross the mind of OKC’s Pres.

Romulus Apotheosis:
    With the playing time.

A couple of points.

Hamilton, as an example, enjoyed a brilliant run at the turn of the new year. I have no doubt Nelson would have kept him in that role save for an injury. That’s much different than having a guy on your 2line and getting nothing done.

34. supernova says:

Bag of Pucks:

Bag of Pucks,

agree completely with this.

OKC is in a very tough spot. Doesnt work well without the big club owning the farm team completely.

One of the major reasons in my mind the Oilers have taken along time to get back to playoff level is the EIG abondoned their AHL team due to finances. This didnt take affect right away but if we use roughly 5 years for development for a prospect and then look at when EIG essentially folded the farm, its not a big surprise where the Oilers have been.

35. supernova says:

Lowetide: Sure. However, there’s zero chance the Oilers are going to put Khaira on a scoring line for three weeks if he isn’t pissing a drop. The new hires may get promoted sooner and more often, but they’ll need to show well.

Why not use Waivers to acquire these players than? happens every year.

Zach Boychuk bounce around the league a couple seasons ago, they can fill out top 6 minutes and also still have a half a shot at the bigs.

These guys exist.

supernova: Why not use Waivers to acquire these players than? happens every year.

These guys exist.

That’s fine, but that isn’t the conversation we’re having now. If Curtis Hamilton had been ready in 2011 fall, Nelson would have played him. I believe that, as he did it with Teemu Hartikainen AND Phil Cornet the previous season. Nelson gave lots of at-bats to prospects in Hamilton/Pitlick’s rookie season, they were available.

They went to Antti Tyrvainen and Mark Arcobello, which is what should have happened.

Curtis Hamilton might have been “cheated” of development time in OKC, but that was clearly performance based.

Pitlick was NEVER cheated of ice time in OKC. When he was healthy, he was in the lineup most of the time. He was hardly ever a healthy scratch.

At the end of his rookie season, in the playoffs, he was playing on the 3rd line with Lander and Tyrvainen, and seeing a smidgeon of PP time, and producing little.

Top nine was Paajarvi, Hartikainen, Lander, Pitlick, Arcobello,Cornet, Tyrvainen. The only only non prospects were Green and Keller. VandeVelde was the 4th line centre who moved into the top nine when Green got hurt. House and the goon were the other 4th line players. Most AHL teams dress a heavy weight. Nelson typically double shifts a top nine forward with the 4th line. And the 4th line guys are typically penalty killiers.

Todd Nelson has developed a steady stream of prospects and rehabilitated others since he has been in OKC.

To say that he has focussed on winning over development is nonsense. The cupboard was basically bare when he took over because of Lowe, MacT, and Prendergast.

He took a failed prospect, and turned him into an NHL player. Colin McDonald.
    He took low round draft picks and brought them to the NHL cusp. Omark, Hartikainen
    He fixed a lot of the problems in Paajarvi’s game. Arcobello and Lander have thrived under him.

He made Alex Plante an AHL all-star.

Petry and Marincin. When was the last time Oiler D picks made it all the way to the NHL.

MacT was just bad-mouthing a guy he really didn’t know last year to justify not giving Nelson an interview after he hired Eakins after being smitten by the long wavy black hair.

39. bendelson says:

LT: Any chance we are going to get a RE on the Oilers PP and PK?
    It would be interseting to compare who recieved the ice-time in the past, how they did, and what you think this year’s special teams will look like.

Did I mention I think the Oilers PK (the forwards) is thin and in danger of being a complete mess this season?

40. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

I don’t enjoy the 3-line vs 4-line talk as it confuses the real issues of deployment and TOI.

Line: players (give or take) – ES TOI
    —— ————————— ———-
    PVP: Hall Nuge Eberle – 14:00
    Utility: Perron Arco Purcell – 12:00
    Soft: *Pitlick Yakupov – 10:00
    Hard Mins:Pouliot Gordon Hendricks – 13:00

*Hall also plays several ES shifts per game on the Soft line.

PVP line plays regardless of ZS against tough opp.
    Hard Mins line has steep ZS and toughest opp.
    Soft line is protected in ZS and especially qual comp.
    Utility line is played at regular shift. Goal is to be better than some lines and just survive tough opp.

For this edition of the Oilers I see:
    PVP can go toe to toe and push the possession.
    Hard Mins can play from own zone and push it to the other side of the rink.
    Utility should have medium ZS and be respectable, an upgrade to a top flight 2C makes this fly.
    Soft line with a good C lets Yakupov kill the protected mins – especially if paired with several shifts a game with Hall.

Yakupov makes extra time by playing plenty of PP and up the chart when down a goal late.

If the target is high-end enough then Arco slides down into that role (if the German makes the team I don’t see it as a C).

Pitlick plays regularly but limited role. As a rookie I think this gives him a position to succeed in rather than with Gordon.

bendelson:
    LT:Any chance we are going to get a RE on the Oilers PP and PK?

Hendricks, Gordon, Lander, Arcobello

Certainly Ramsey should be able to coach Pouliot and Purcell up.

42. bassguy says:

justDOit,

hey thats great..thanks!..going to watch it now

43. bendelson says:

godot10: Hendricks, Gordon, Lander, ArcobelloCertainly Ramsey should be able to coach Pouliot and Purcell up.

Is Ramsey working the PK?
    Lander and Arco both in the line-up on a nightly basis?
    Pouloit and Purcell to PK? It’s just that easy?

Your thoughts suggest a whole lot of inexperience getting the job done. Doesn’t mean it can’t happen but there is no track record of any signifcance with the majority of the players you mentioned.

44. bassguy says:

justDOit,

Hi…wow, fantastic..I know the vocalist on the show..thats judy singh who also went out with woody shaw(and is featured on one of his albums)..the bass player(the band is not credited)could very likely be a guy by the name of ron hallderson who recorded and played with lenny when chet produced him in nashville ..he wanted ron to stay and live/work but ron didnt like the tension in the air in the united states in 1968?..ron is a great musician..also plays fantastic steel guitar..thanks so much for this!

45. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I don’t think MacT is going to have Nelson play someone way above his head… but I think there is a shift in philosophy here that needs to be acknowledged. It may be as subtle as giving guys more opportunities to fail in-game.

Romulus Apotheosis: Oh yea. Agreed. And, it’s a balance. You want to ice a real team and have some depth to push players and educate them (cue Jason Williams etc).

47. justDOit says:

bassguy,

Glad you enjoyed it. I’m a bit of a Lenny fanatic, and I was surprised to learn he had his own show for a short time.

48. bassguy says:

justDOit,

Im going to get in touch with judy to make sure she has seen this!…lenny sounds amazing…not sure what kind of guitar that is?..likely a hybrid of some sort..Im sure you know what happened to lenny as there is still question and mystery around his death

49. supernova says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

You can see the philosophy shift last year, which is much appreciated. Todd Nelson spoke on the 2 stations quite often of what management direction was given him, and it was clear that management had said enough with the older players outside of certain roles, put in our young AHL veterans and let them run.

I can see using Veteran D, Veteran C, and even a goalie. but if you are a veteran winger in the AHL you better score the lights out. Very few players go to the AHL and are point a game scorers, especially there first year. to expect any kids to go in and score often is a mistake.

many examples but Tampa has a very interesting system to study.

50. supernova says:

godot10:

To say that he has focussed on winning over development is nonsense.The cupboard was basically bare when he took over because of Lowe, MacT, and Prendergast.

He took a failed prospect, and turned him into an NHL player.Colin McDonald.
    He took low round draft picks and brought them to the NHL cusp.Omark, Hartikainen
    He fixed a lot of the problems in Paajarvi’s game.Arcobello and Lander have thrived under him.

He made Alex Plante an AHL all-star.

MacT was just bad-mouthing a guy he really didn’t know last year to justify not giving Nelson an interview after he hired Eakins after being smitten by the long wavyblack hair.

dont have an Issue with Nelson. I have an issue with what management required of him.

I also blame EIG, then Lowe, then Tambo

dont see how you can blame MacT for development until now.

51. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: That I can agree with all day. MacT is going to make sure they get playing time and at-bats. Feature roles? Earn it.

One thing to watch for this season I think is the in-game line blender.

The lines in the AHL are often a mess because of the sheer number of transactions and because you can carry so many players on the team… but one way to observe MacT’s influence might just be to see if Moroz, for example, gets the odd offensive zone shift on say Williams’ wing, before heading back to play further down the roster with say… Acton.

I think we might see that kind of thing. With the special teams too.

52. Romulus Apotheosis says:

supernova: My question was Hamilton elgable for another year of junior? (he has something like a Chase birthdate thing if i recall)

McCurdy went through this recently

53. justDOit says:

bassguy,

That guitar is wildly unique, and I don’t think I’ve seen him play it anywhere else.

Purportedly, Lenny’s daughter has stated off the record that the police know who killed him, but were unable to prove it.

54. Frank The Dog says:

Bag of Pucks:

Didn’t work last year. Perron and Yak have some synergy and are both opposite shooting wings. If Yak and Drai are getting along off ice, give Perron, Drai and Yak City a chance to show what those 3 can do as a line against soft opposition. Put Pouliot and Purcell with Arco.

Also, get Rocky to give Yak some fighting lessons. He’ll likely need them this season.

55. bassguy says:

justDOit,

thanks, i have never seen that doc so I should watch it…

56. supernova says:

Romulus Apotheosis: McCurdy went through this recently

a blog featuring Lowetide, Willis, Rom, Rex, Bruce would be great.

57. cahill says:

bendelson: Is Ramsey working the PK?
    Lander and Arco both in the line-up on a nightly basis?
    Pouloit and Purcell to PK?It’s just that easy?

Ramsay was said to be taking over the PP. So I would assume that Acton is handling the PK. With the way the wingers only Hendricks played much on the PK.

Here’s TOI of the top 6 wingers.
    Eberle – :41
    Perron – :28
    Hall – :22
    Purcell – :01
    Yakupov – :00
    Pouliot – :00

It may make sense to have Hendricks-Lander-? Pitlick/Gazdic/Other (Internal trade or waiver pickup) on the tough zone line start line, but not taking the toughs. Use a Gordon (with say Perron & Pouliot) centered line to take on the matchups and zone starts if needed.

Then the PK forward units could be Hendricks-Lander & Gordon-? (Perron, Arcobello, RNH & Pitlick).

Regarding Pitlick. I think he needs to do a couple of things to be an effective forward. 1. PK 2. Play physical doesn’t mean fighting but does mean finishing his checks 3. Take faceoffs, doesn’t mean he needs to play center. But with only Arcobello being the right handed center man. If Pitlick can be leaned on to take faceoffs it could go a long way to making the roster.

58. Bruce McCurdy says:

supernova: thanks i like Bruce’s stuff but wish he was on a blog similar to this that was better for replies and conversation.

a blog featuring Lowetide, Willis, Rom, Rex, Bruce would be great.

59. bendelson says:

cahill: Ramsay was said to be taking over the PP. So I would assume that Acton is handling the PK.

Yes, that is what I thought as well.

Right, so Hendricks and Gordon are solid.
    Lander (when/if playing) should also get the job done.
    The sometimes third and fourth spots are open and available. It looks as though they will be filled by someone either learning the role on the fly or an top 6 player expanding his role on the team.
    Depth is a concern here.

And I’ll stop talking about the PK now.
    Thanks for the response.

60. supernova says:

bendelson,

i dont have a facebook account nor do i intend to get one.

The greatest aspect of a blog is the author and readers can converse if blogs lose that they will shrivel in the market place. its a different form of social media.

I don’t know how he keeps it up but it works very well.

Oilersnation and cult of hockey are great as well. Personally I do to cult of hockey and then read and leave, Oilersnation is the same, i used to comment on there more but it seems to have been taken over by commentators that want to say things for a reaction good or bad. not a fan or the like or dislike button on the comment, although i do understand the appeal.

61. supernova says:

sorry above post was intend for Bruce not bendelson

62. Bruce McCurdy says:

supernova: Not here to bash any blog at all but the best thing about Lowetide’s is you have daily or more posts with relevant information and an outstanding audience that add to it.

Agreed. Every once in a while the convo goes off the rails but LT does a great job of reining things in when that happens & otherwise it’s a terrific open forum for all things Oiler.

63. Melman says:

bendelson,

I think that’s a valid comment on Lander. We’ve all been waiting for him for so long I don’t think there is really much expectation left for him to succeed. Hopefully that sets up perfectly for him to prove everyone wrong and finally arrive.

As for development vs. winning – I’ve always thought the best approach is to give the ice time to the players that are playing the best, which is not always = to your best players. The same way of saying you earn your ice.

64. Rocknrolla says:

Bruce McCurdy: Thanks, and I share your frustration. I got into blogging in the first place because I enjoy the back-and-forth of discussion about hockey (which is why I still hang out here after years of blogging elsewhere), but the Facebook commenting system is pretty restrictive and completely off-limits to some who prefer not to have a Facebook account. I wish it were different but have little say or sway in the matter.

I agree, hate using Facebook for opinion based items.

There is always the option to just make a new Facebook account on a different email and use an alias to comment on Cult. Cumbersome though.