THAT’S ENTERTAINMENT!

In one of his three NHL seasons, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins has been a power-play witch (credit Tyler Dellow for the phrase). In the other two, he’s been pretty damn good. Nuge’s 5×5/60 falls short of what we might call ‘top quality top 6F’ but with the man advantage he’s golden:

• 2011-12: 7.30 (led NHL regulars)
  • 2012-13: 4.91 (3rd among regular Oiler forwards)
  • 2013-14: 4.85 (led all regular Oiler forwards)

Source: BTN

Craig Ramsay skated miles preventing power play sorties as a player, I’m intrigued by what he’ll do with this group and the coming 5×4 and 5×3 opportunities. The Edmonton Oilers have some fine young talent, but they haven’t delivered as often as one would hope. Here’s the numbers for last year’s PP men:

1. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 4.85
  2. Jordan Eberle 4.72
  3. Taylor Hall 4.29
  4. Phil Larsen 4.22*
  5. Ales Hemsky 4.15*
  6. David Perron 3.71
  7. Mark Arcobello 2.65
  8. Nail Yakupov 2.63
  9. Ryan Smyth 2.32*
  10. Justin Schultz 2.23
  11. Sam Gagner 2.15*
  12. Anton Belov 0.85*

Craig MacTavish has added three potentially significant pieces to the puzzle. Nikita Nikitin (0 PP points in CBJ one year ago), Teddy Purcell (3.34/60) and Benoit Pouliot (3.10). It should be mentioned that Nikitin posted a 3.20 5×4/60 in 2011-12 when he had significant power play time. Note: Hemsky’ number is an estimate, all others sourced via BTN. Asterisks are men who have left the team.

TIME ON ICE PP 2013-14

1. Justin Schultz 3:26
  2. Taylor Hall 3:10
  3. Jordan Eberle 3:02
  4. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 2:59
  5. David Perron 2:49
  6. Sam Gagner 2:36*
  7. Ryan Smyth 2:33*
  8. Phil Larsen 2:25*
  9. Ales Hemsky 2:21*
  10. Nail Yakupov 2:10
  11. Anton Belov 1:19*
  12. Mark Arcobello 1:07

The Oilers lost five men from the group, including a center (Gagner), a block out the G winger (Smyth) one ridiculous winger (Hemsky), and one surprisingly effective (Larsen) and surprisingly ineffective (Belov) defenseman. That’s a lot of turnover, but it also means opportunity for overlooked men like Nail Yakupov

POSSIBLE POWER-PLAY COMBINATIONS

LEFT WING CENTER RIGHT WING
TAYLOR HALL
RYAN NUGENT-HOPKINS JORDAN EBERLE

LEFT DEFENSE RIGHT DEFENSE
NIKITA NIKITIN JUSTIN SCHULTZ

LEFT WING CENTER RIGHT WING
NAIL YAKUPOV ARCO/DRAISAITL DAVID PERRON

LEFT DEFENSE RIGHT DEFENSE
MARTIN MARINCIN TEDDY PURCELL

I didn’t find room for Pouliot, and wanted to find a way to put Yakupov on the 1PP. Ramsay’s vision of this group could be much different. I will say this: Martin Marincin or Andrew Ference are going to get some power-play time this season. I’d pick Jeff Petry but he’s needed for PK time and I wanted Purcell on the 2PP.

WHAT IMPACT DOES THIS HAVE ON THE NEW CENTER?

If the club is going to keep Draisaitl, and his best skill is passing, I think they will want him on the power play. If the club does decide to sign a free-agent center, they all have some ability 5×4:

1. Andrei Loktionov 5.05/60 on about 1 minute per game
  2. Derek Roy 4.95/60 on 2:17 per game
  3. Mike Ribeiro 3.11/60 on 3:17 per game

Roy would seem to be the most attractive choice in this regard, and in this area (as the numbers show) he’s a better player than Arco and would be a veteran fit to an area of need. If the Oilers plan on keeping Leon Draisaitl, acquiring a two-way presence would seem more likely. Acquiring Roy (or Ribeiro, who doesn’t get mentioned because of the because) would seem to make sense in regard to improving the power play.

Now. How do we shoehorn Pouliot onto this power play? He’s the “Ryan Smyth” in the group, so do you run him instead of Yakupov? Dammit! Having said that, it can’t be Perron. Maybe Pouliot plays center on the 2PP,  loses the draws, and….dammit! I’ve been watching the Oiler power play too long.

Welcome, Craig Ramsay. Gooooooood luck!

98 Responses to "THAT’S ENTERTAINMENT!"

1. Halfwise says:

2. supernova says:

LT,

Could you by chance seperate the first 15 games of RNH’s first season from the remainder.

Very interested to see that number?

Also what was Correy Potters for that time frame ?

Thanks, on iOS device and it is not user friendly for this on BTN

3. theres oil in virginia says:

Regarding getting Pouliot onto the PP, I’m guessing they’ll run Eberle at the point for some time, opening up another slot at forward.

supernova:
    LT,

Very interested to see that number?

Also what was Correy Potters for that time frame ?

Thanks, on iOS device and it is not user friendly for this on BTN

5. jake70 says:

Halfwise: It’s probably just cynicism born of fatigue, but I would also like Mr. Ramsay to help the Oilers reduce the number of faceoffs at centre ice during their power play. You know, the ones after the shorties.

Very good point. This was a life-sucking disaster last year that needs to get addressed. Not sure if it was all personnel or systems but this should be at/near the top priority list.

6. Marcus Oilerius says:

Shoehorn Pouliot in? No need, the Oilers routinely run 4 forwards on the PP. Perron on point, Yak on the right wing (where his left shot does the damage), and Pouliot on the left wing.

jake70: Very good point.This was a life-sucking disaster last year that needs to get addressed.Not sure if it was all personnel or systems but this should be at/near the top priority list.

99.9% of NHL players in that spot abandon the offensive zone and live to fight another day. Schultz took a penalty. Poor decisions killed his season.

8. Stanley 2018 says:

The Oilers Defense scored a total of 3.. 3! PP goals last year, and 26pts total. After Jultz (12) the next guy was Larsen with 5, and the rest had no more than 2. To quote South Park, “That’s bad, mmmkay.”
    It doesn’t look like much has been done to improve it. Will be interesting to see how Ramsay fixes this, likely by moving a F to the point. Eakins used Hall like this sometimes.

9. Frank The Dog says:

Where can I go to compare coach vs coach or team vs team pp stats?

Frank The Dog:
    Where can I go to compare coachvs coach or team vs team pp stats?

NHL.com has team-by-team comparisons

11. sliderule says:

If Ramsay runs the PP like he did in Florida I doubt if you see the 1-3-1.

That might help cut out the shorties .

12. FastOil says:

Pouliot will get rotated in when someone is or is seen as off their game I would think. I’m thinking Yak a lot, unless he really buys into systems this year.

13. supernova says:

My thought is;

Was the potter & RNH connection lighting in a bottle or can it be reproduced?

And was it as good as my memory tells me ( don’t trust my memory)

Stanley 2018:

Nikitin is a guy who has had success in this area, suspect he gets a push.

15. Marcus Oilerius says:

supernova,

We just need a point man with an accurate, long range bomb who knows where to be on point, plus a coach who knows how to run the power play. So… yeah, thank God that Eakins isn’t responsible for the power play any more, and let’s hope that Schultz or somebody develops a shot.

Marcus Oilerius:
    supernova,

We just need a point man with an accurate, long range bomb who knows where to be on point, plus a coach who knows how to run the power play.So… yeah, thank God that Eakins isn’t responsible for the power play any more, and let’s hope that Schultz or somebody develops a shot.

17. shawwwood says:

LT
    Looks like Florida used 2 D on the power play 80% of the time.
    Brian Campbell was on the ice for 65% of Florida PP time.
    When there was only 1 D on it was Campbell 67% of the time.
    I wonder if Ramsey would use Schultz this way.
    Maybe Schultz is on both PP units replacing Purcell on your board.

18. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Alongside P/60 5×4 it might be helpful to take a look at shot generation.

We’ve looked at this before. SH% on the PP year over year is a crazy business.

YEAR–SH%–RANK
    13-14–12.28–15th
    12-13–16.86–2nd
    11-12–16.07–1st
    10-11–12.06–4th
    09-10–13.40–7th

Same years but with CF/60

YEAR–CF/60–Rank
    13-14–85.6–24th
    12-13–73.9–29th
    11-12–80.5–29th
    10-11–80.8–30th
    09-10–81.8–30th

See the massive discrepancy?! crazy peaches…

This team is fucking far––historically––from SJS in terms of PP shot generation it makes you want to puke.

19. nycoil says:

Interesting fact about Pouliot’s season on the power play was that he had 7 PP goals and 1PPA. He cleans up rebounds, garbage but he doesn’t initiate the play. This is true because his shot sucks in terms of accuracy. When he’s all alone one-on-one he aims for the crest. So he is good at the garbage goal.

I’d put him on unit one with Hall, Nuge, Nikitin, Eberle. Hall moves to his off-wing to receive one-timers and has the speed to get back to help Nikitin on D as needed, Eberle slides across to the left and below the goal line as needed. The witch does his thing, Nikitin unleashes the bomb, Pouliot cleans up the mess.

Unit 2 I would run Yak, Perron, Schultz, Petry and…the only thing is C. I guess it’s Arco? or Leon? Don’t know. Agree they could use an upgrade here.

20. Romulus Apotheosis says:

On Loktionov… I just want to trouble the idea that he is a bona fide center.

I really like the player, but since we routinely ding players listed as Cs that aren’t actually used as Cs… we ought to call a spade a spade.

YEAR–GPS–FO–FO/G
    13-14–68–369–5.4
    12-13–28–206–7.4
    11-12–39–149–3.8

I haven’t factored in TOI… but the picture is still pretty clear. Loktionov doesn’t have a strong track record of playing center (regardless of the quality of his play at that position, he simply isn’t playing center very much)

21. SinceTheWHADays says:

IMHO signing one of the three remaining FA centres would be a dumb move especially considering what Wood Guy gave us yesterday. If another Center is coming it will be via trade and probably something that no one has considered. MacT is better at thinking out side the box than most bloggers, plus he has info at his disposal only a NHL GM has. The pp will be better, it will be tinkered with and it will have both lulls and peaks throught the season. Trying to slot in players that will play on it in mid July is futile.

Lowtide bring me 21 marbles in four seperate containers, but there has to be an odd number of marbles in each container. . Think outside the box dude.

SinceTheWHADays:

Editing to answer the comment correctly.

I understand your point, but it’s July! The power play is going to be a big damn deal and there’s not a pile of subjects that we haven’t discussed!

Dude! :-)

23. nycoil says:

Is it not possible that the Oilers believe Mark Arcobello is the answer at 3C? Would you be that surprised to see Leon Draisaitl lined up as the 2C on opening night?

If I believed I had my 2C and 3C already in hand after the draft, but both of them were a bit young and lacked NHL experience, the way I would go about helping them is by bringing in some veteran 2-way wingers: Enter Teddy Purcell and Benoit Pouliot. Now I can guarantee at least one veteran winger on each line.
    2nd line looks like Perron (LW) Draisaitl (C) Purcell (RW), 3rd line Pouliot (LW) Arcobello (C) Yakupov (RW). You run with this until Yak is ready to switch places with Purcell.

Now do I agree with this strategy? I would have personally taken the approach of adding a vet C and grooming the youngsters on the wing until they can slide into the more challenging role as pivot, but the evidence we have suggests the Oilers don’t see it that way, no?

MacT’s plan all along was to go get help on the blue line and help on the wings for his young Cs. That’s why he traded for the not cheap Purcell and overpaid to ensure he got the services of Pouliot. And this is why we haven’t heard through Stauffer or the grapevine much about the Oilers’ pursuit of the bigger name FA Cs that were out there.

nycoil:

That may have HAPPENED, as they went through the summer and found the other options wanting, but we don’t have evidence of it.

Not that I can see. Hopefully they read WG’s post! :-)

25. nycoil says:

You could be right, but MacT may have given Arco the one year deal though to see if he could prove himself before he gave him more term. No team was going to offer Arco more than one year, I don’t think. But maybe knowing Stastny and Grabo weren’t interested in Edmonton he switched to the “get good wingers” plan early on?

Maybe he has this list in mind next summer

Then again it doesn’t look very compelling outside of Krejci.

If they run this current lineup and they improve to say, 10th in the West, next summer MacT can either pursue and sign someone like Krejci or make a better informed decision on his blue line prospects and deal one + picks, prospects for a 3C replacement for Arco (assuming Leon is on track to be the future 2C). Maybe he sees it as a 2-year plan?

Then again maybe I am giving him too much credit. Gazdic got a 2-year deal for some reason, for example.

26. Romulus Apotheosis says:

extraskater has added Renney1 to the mix. have a look

27. Wolfie says:

The Oilers don’t want to overcommit to a player at 2C because they feel Draisaitl will be ready for the role this year or next. Heck RNH stepped in and delivered 1C offence before injury in his rookie year. We know Gordon will be the beast of burden. I think the Oilers are comfortable with shuffling Arco and Drai with any combination of wingers.

Signing anyone to longer than a 1 yr deal was going to cause headaches next year. Add to the fact that Lander will likely push for full time NHL employment either this year or next. If Arco hits it out of the park this year he is still an RFA and you still have some negotiating leeway. If he doesn’t pan out Drai is another year older and the problem of 2C is less pressing.

The Oilers had to play Gagner at 2C. They couldn’t afford to bury his trade value completely.

28. SinceTheWHADays says:

Lowetide: Editing to answer the comment correctly.

Dude!

Fair enough; believe it or not I greatly appreciate the efforts and time you dedicate to giving us something to read regarding the Oilers everyday. I also appreciate all the data posters pour through to give the a averade fan, like me, a bigger picture. Your great at pointing out the odds of long shot high round picks making the show. BUT some of those long shots to beat the odds. When all this Center fear started July 2nd, I personally thaught: wait and see. We might have more Center depth than it looks like on paper. We got a couple, or three, GIANT kids in the system hungry for a shot and a couple more with enough skill to alter the balance of there draft number, we got a couple other fellas who have paid there dues, got some pro experience and deserve a look. There are seven directions in the universe, most people can instantly see six, but I think our Center hole can be filled looking in the seventh direction. The dude was not meant to be derogatory… I won’t do that again. I apologise Mr. Mitchell.

29. haters says:

Jshultz has one more year to “get it”. He is a nightmare in his own end and underperformed offensively. I am of the belief a much improved and heavier Nurse or perhaps klefbom, will make him expendable come training camp and that’s when we see his overhyped ass shipped out for Anismov. I hope.

SinceTheWHADays: The dude was not meant to be derogatory… I won’t do that again.I apologise Mr. Mitchell.

My ‘dude’ either. Please feel free to use ‘dude’ whenever, I wouldn’t take it as a putdown.

31. nycoil says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Interesting to see the team trending better over the season (albeit from a terribly low base).
    Other observations: Why did they let Cogliano go for magic beans? Gagner was a pretty good player then.

32. nycoil says:

Lowetide: Please feel free to use ‘dude’ whenever,

“The dude abides.”
    To me, addressing you as “The Dude” would be a compliment of the highest order. Well, second to saying you sound like John Short on the radio, anyway. :)

33. Fixall with Rexall says:

Yak on the point for the power play. He doesn’t have to overthink, it gets him involved more and his shot breaks ankles. The lack of options there alone makes this logical.

nycoil: “The dude abides.”

Fixall with Rexall:

I like Yak there, but the Oilers run Nuge down low on the 1PP and to my eye they had Gagner/Perron working the other side on the 2. I guess you could go Schultz LH side and Yak RH side, but that would last until the first SH goal against and then Eakins would Cherry the Russian.

36. theres oil in virginia says:

My brother-in-law hates to be called “dude”. Anytime someone does, he replies with “Dude? Dude? I’m not a dude. I’m a man, like you.”

37. Hammers says:

Pouliot is the Smyth of this group and I see him getting PP time and not Eberle who will drop to 2nd unit . Purcell may be the guy who drops out or Perron. If I’m not mistaken and I may be Ramsay likes getting shots from the point and you need a big body to get the garbage goals .I also think Ramsay will use Yak’s shot from the slot more than Eakins did . I see Ebs on the second in place of Purcell and Purcell may be that big body so it means Perron would be out .

38. Romulus Apotheosis says:

theres oil in virginia:
    My brother-in-law hates to be called “dude”.Anytime someone does, he replies with “Dude?Dude?I’m not a dude.I’m a man, like you.”

Not sure how I’d hold back on forcing that hilarious response.

39. Ducey says:

Now. How do we shoehorn Pouliot onto this power play?

Its going to take a while to get used to this new Pouliot. I still keep thinking you are trying to shoehorn MAP onto this team. You tried for sooo long.

You have finally given up, right?

Ducey:
    Now. How do we shoehorn Pouliot onto this power play?

Its going to take a while to get used to this new Pouliot.I still keep thinking you are trying to shoehorn MAP onto this team.You tried for sooo long.

You have finally given up, right?

NO!!! That’s the things!!! I’m still figuring out a way to get him on the team!!! His NHLE in Europe last season makes him a strong 3C candidate!!!!

41. Ducey says:

Lowetide: His NHLE in Europe last season makes him a strong 3C candidate!!!!

…with the Barons.

42. jfry says:

Ducey,

Rumour has it he is going to Calgary to play with his best friend gaudreau.

Lowetide: Yeah. I remember ‘dude’ as an actual form of address BEFORE the movie, it’s always been a good thing. Now, HOMBRE is a totally different deal!

Rob Schneider had a bit on “dude” way back when he was a stand up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77v_Q0mhbZU

Wolfie:
    The Oilers don’t want to overcommit to a player at 2C because they feel Draisaitl will be ready for the role this year or next.Heck RNH stepped in and delivered 1C offence before injury in his rookie year. We know Gordon will be the beast of burden.I think the Oilers are comfortable with shuffling Arco and Drai with any combination of wingers.

Signing anyone to longer than a 1 yr deal was going to cause headaches next year.Add to the fact that Lander will likely push for full time NHL employment either this year or next.If Arco hits it out of the park this year he is still an RFA and you still have some negotiating leeway.If he doesn’t pan out Drai is another year older and the problem of 2C is less pressing.

The Oilers had to play Gagner at 2C.They couldn’t afford to bury his trade value completely.

Willis has a really good piece on MacT and his verbal around adding another C: http://oilersnation.com/2014/7/13/timeframe-for-landing-a-centre

Key parts:

“We didn’t address all of our needs today,” was the first thing out of MacTavish’s mouth when asked about the team’s depth chart up the middle. “We still feel ideally we’d be able to add a centreman.”

“Right now we have Mark Arcobello, we have Anton Lander, we’ve got Boyd Gordon and of course [Ryan] Nugent-Hopkins in those positions now,” he said, summing up the depth chart that so many see as unacceptable.

“Now you can draw all your own conclusions based on what my strategy may be going forward, and we’re hopeful that we can do something and add a centre piece to what we’ve done already. These things aren’t always guaranteed, but we’ll be trying to do something in that regard.”

This was on July 1st

Pretty sure he sees the hole too.

45. rickithebear says:

Last year:
    at Boston U.
    Gaudreau 40gm 38G 42A 80P
    Hayes 40gm 27G 38A 65P
    Arnold 40GM 14G 39A 53P

Currently listed on Flames roster.
    Gaudreau AUG 93 20yr 5’9″ 150lb
    Arnold may 92 22yr 6’0″ 218lb

46. Lloyd B. says:

It is interesting to note Arocbellos production (7th)based on his ice time (12th) Compared to Shultz who is 10th in production yet 1st in ice time. It would appear Eakins has a blind spot….or two.

47. supernova says:

Lowetide: Nikita Nikitin has a plus shot. I believe he’ll be a strong option this fall for Ramsay.

Marcus Oilerius,

Well I do think Nikitin will be used by Ramsay, I don’t think it is as simple as Sub Potter for Nikitin and boom we have production of RNH as rookie on the PP.

I think the PP is a constantly evolving plan. Something similar to Peyton Manning offences in the NFL.

Having something like 3 or 4 base formations and then adapting each one a multiple of ways depending on the defence they are seeing.

If you have 4 base systems mixed with 3 adaptations each you have a lot to through at the penalty kill.

Each unit could have 2 base systems to not over coach the players. Each one has a PP QB that can lead on the ice.

This is just an example.
    ————

This might sound like a form of over coaching but I feel it is the opposite. They are shown and practice effective strategies and know how to adapt right away.

This to me is particularly disgusting as they have some insanely creative players. They just need proper guidance on the PP.

PK is completely different they can act like a robot there. Don’t think just do X, Y, Z

48. supernova says:

rickithebear,

Would like to have a crack at Hayes, I too see the dots connecting in Calgary.

But keep thinking it would be ludicrous to Ice that line an expect to win Regularly.

McDavid sweepstakes?

49. theres oil in virginia says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Not sure how I’d hold back on forcing that hilarious response.

Ha! That would be a good one. It got so regular at one point, that if I was present when someone called him dude, I would just go ahead and run through the routine before he could say anything.

50. bendelson says:

nycoil: Interesting fact about Pouliot’s season on the power play was that he had 7 PP goals and 1PPA.

I was sure you were going to follow that with a…

But he also took 5 penalties while on the PP.

You know, those bad penalties you have forewarned us about (and we all saw in the playoffs).

51. nycoil says:

Oh of course dude goes back a long way. Dude ranches for city slickers and back even further to refer to well-dressed gentlemen. Surfers and skate-boarders then used it for a while and the Simpsons, etc. In satire but they’ve all moved on since. Still, THE dude has a special place in the word’s history.

52. fifthcartel says:

I thought Pouliot played in front of the net on the Rangers powerplay. Could be a fit there as they use to have Horcoff in tht spot, and then tried a bunch of players there since; Perron, even Hall for a bit. Especially with Smyth gone I could see him in that role

I wonder if the lack of RH shots will be an issue. They have 3 LH shots that could be featured in the same spot and do well (RNH, Hall, Yak)

53. Ducey says:

I don’t know if someone tracked shoots from the point on the PP, but the Oilers had to be at an all time low last year.

Many team’s PP’s have the shot from the point as a staple. Last year the Oilers only had Schultz back there with his wrister. As a result teams just focused on shutting down the Oilers down low.

Hopefully Nikitin has a bomb back there and can force teams to cover the points a little more. Not requiring a defensively inept forward back with Schultz would be an extra bonus.

54. nycoil says:

bendelson,

Haha. You’ve all been forewarned!

55. MrEd says:

As per Hockeybuzz- Petry is not listed on the Oilers roster as of noon today. Hm.

56. Marcus Oilerius says:

supernova: Watching the Oilers PP last year was brutal, the players acted like the couldn’t think, move, act on the flow of the game because if they did they would have repercussions. I don’t know that this is the case but it looked like this.

Agreed. I think that mentality applied to the power play throughout the year, and 5 on 5 defense for the first quarter of the season. I really, REALLY hope that Eakins has learned a lot, because it seems quite obvious that he was part of the problem for the team. There was serious regression from Krueger, and Krueger got worse stats (though better results) than Renney.

57. Henry says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    On Loktionov… I just want to trouble the idea that he is a bona fide center.

YEAR–GPS–FO–FO/G
    13-14–68–369–5.4
    12-13–28–206–7.4
    11-12–39–149–3.8

Good catch Rom. Added to the notion that Lok is not really a center is the fact that he is 5′ 10″, 180lbs. He will give up 40lbs to Getzlaf, Carter and Kopitar in puck battles every time the Oiler’s go to California. Arcobello has the same problem, but you know he isn’t ‘soft’. Arco is a cheap and a good option. If there is to be an upgrade, the player should be able to compete with the hulks in the division.

58. Marcus Oilerius says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    On Renney year one and two and usage learnings

Wild.

That’s pretty much the “Jason Strudwick is finished” chart.

Henry: Good catch Rom.Added to the notion that Lok is not really a center is the fact that he is 5′ 10″, 180lbs.He will give up 40lbs to Getzlaf, Carter and Kopitar in puck battles every time the Oiler’s go to California.Arcobello has the same problem, but you know he isn’t ‘soft’.Arco is a cheap and a good option. If there is to be an upgrade, the player should be able to compete with the hulks in the division.

Is Loktionov soft? I hadn’t read that before.

60. 8p0intgame says:

Something I noticed when I read LT’s “A Trip to Reasonable” article yesterday was eight players put up less than 90% of the points they could reasonably be expected to put up in 2013-14. Those players were: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (88.89%), Nail Yakupov (46.15%), Sam Gagner (71.15%), Ales Hemsky (72.22%), Ryan Smyth (82.14%), Ryan Jones (31.58%), Jesse Joensuu (35.71%) and Anton Lander (8.33%). We can make excuses for a few of those players. Nugent-Hopkins played longer and tougher minutes, Gagner was rushed back from a devastating injury and Smyth was a year older. That leaves the following players:

Nail Yakupov
    Ales Hemsky
    Ryan Jones
    Jesse Joensuu
    Anton Lander

Notice a pattern? Four of the five players on that list are European. Hemsky did manage to put up 72.22% of his projected points at rate of 0.473 points per game (86.67% of his projected rate). The remaining three European players put up less 50% of their projected points (Yakupov [46.15%], Joensuu (35.71%] and Lander [8.33%]).

Is it possible that there is a disconnect between Eakins and the Oilers’ European players?

*Edit: This is an attempt at explaining Yakupov and Belov’s awful seasons and why both players expressed frustration with the Oilers’ organization.

61. supernova says:

Marcus Oilerius: Agreed.I think that mentality applied to the power play throughout the year, and 5 on 5 defense for the first quarter of the season.I really, REALLY hope that Eakins has learned a lot, because it seems quite obvious that he was part of the problem for the team.There was serious regression from Krueger, and Krueger got worse stats (though better results) than Renney.

Marcus Oilerius,

There is an issue when this list of players act that way;

Eberle- always known for creativity and great hands
    RNH – #1, for many things including creativity
    Yak- creative offensive player, with a killer shot
    Schultz- creative D player, like a 4th fwd.
    Hall- go through a wall, doesn’t lack in creativity in the O zone
    Gagner- best attribute is creativity with the puck

Can keep going on but when your core has been praised for years about their creativity in the NHL and in development leagues but they act like a robot there is an issue.

Eakins sees this know I believe with the hiring of Ramsay.
    His job might depend on truly letting Ramsay lead.

62. Henry says:

Lowetide: Is Loktionov soft? I hadn’t read that before.

I’ve only seen Loktionov play three or four times and I don’t have much of an impression of him. The vague musings I’ve read and heard colour commentators say lean toward soft. Add salt before internalizing. His numbers the past couple years are pretty nice though.

I don’t want to accuse Lok of being soft or not, just small. I’ve followed Arcobello for four years and consider him a gamer, just undersized. If an upgrade is deemed necessary it should be a bigger guy than Loktionov.

63. justDOit says:

MrEd:
    As per Hockeybuzz-Petry is not listed on the Oilers roster as of noon today.Hm.

I think that’s the Eklund equivalent of an E3.

BTW: http://oilers.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

Lowetide: Part of it, and I’m honestly not trying to pick on Justin Schultz, was Justin Schultz had no sense of danger. I can’t remember what game it was against Anaheim, but the Oil had a PP going in a close game, and Schultz held the zone even though a crazy puck was heading for him.

goals against on the PP is a signature trademark of Dallas Eakins’ coached teams. It happened during his Marlies tenure.

goals against on the PP are NOT a signature trademark of Justin Schultz’s hockey career.

65. speeds says:

Woodguy:
    This was on July 1st

Pretty sure he sees the hole too.

It’s possible that he sees the hole, but doesn’t think it’s as big a hole as you do. It’s also possible he’s perfectly happy with what he has right now. And when September comes along, he’ll say “Well, what can you do, no move to be made at the right price”

*edit to add* It seems most reasonable to think he would still like to improve the C. On the other hand, he traded away Gagner for a W*, and acquired 2W and 2D with ~16.5M in cap room (~12M if you ignore the Gagner swap). Hard to argue that is prioritizing a C upgrade.

*Sounds like Gagner would have been a W next year anyways, but he has played the C position.

Lowetide: If MacT believed Arcobello was his answer, he would have signed him to a longer term, no? I think they like Arcobello as a depth guy, but there’s little to no evidence they see him as a guy who will be a big part of the 2014-15 team.

Not that I can see. Hopefully they read WG’s post!

Arcobello isn’t going to sign a longer contract at such a low salary. Why lock in a a bargain basement salary? And the extra years would make other teams less likely to pick you up on waivers if the Oilers put him on waivers.

In Arcobello’s position, one year one way with a low NHL base salary where you are betting on yourself is unequivocally the best option.

nycoil:

You could be right, butMacT may have given Arco the one year deal though to see if he could provehimself before he gave him more term. No team was going to offer Arco more than one year, I don’t think. But maybe knowing Stastny and Grabo weren’t interested in Edmonton he switched to the “get good wingers” plan early on?

Maybe he has this list in mind next summer

Giving Gadzic a 2-year deal means that in a pinch you can put him on waivers with little risk of another team claiming him because of the extra year.

68. bendelson says:

nycoil,

Further to the notion that Pouliot takes bad/selfish/lazy O-zone penalties…

The numbers suggest he has never really been a big penalty minute guy…
    Is it fair to say, ‘he doesn’t necessarily take a lot of penalties, but when he does, they are often of the ‘ugly’ variety’?

In comparison, wow does Perron ever take AND draw a lot of penalties… a big positive on a team with a great PP and solid PK.

69. rickithebear says:

supernova:
    rickithebear,

Would like to have a crack at Hayes, I too see the dots connecting in Calgary.

McDavid sweepstakes?

We are in the west.

there are bunch of teams that could chase the lottery.

We break up play into PP; EVEN; PK

when i look at our EVP production rank for our FWDS for their position!
    Over time!

Hall(1) – Arco (?) – Purcell (26)
    Perron (20) – RNH (31) – Eberle (7)
    Pouliot (38) – Draisatl (?)- Yak (24 12-13) (69 13-14)

Our wings are all pretty much 1st line producers at Even.
    Based on Arco’s centre numbers and AHL end of season.
    A top 40 should be expected.

70. nycoil says:

godot10,

Good point. I guess if you really want to keep him that makes sense. They clearly value his face-punching ability more than do I.

bendelson,

Oh, it’s clearly a “saw him good/bad” thing. He just seems to take a large proportion of offensive zone penalties. He’s not a big penalty minute guy by any means. It’s just frustrating as fans to watch because he seemingly takes needless/lazy penalties on the far end. In my section at MSG that’s all the fans would complain about. That and his muffins into the chest on breakaways.

Again, to be clear, I like Pouliot. Wanted the Oilers to sign him. I’m just saying the average fan is definitely going to pick up on that (unless he changes that aspect of his game somehow) and complain about the big contract. It’s just the way some fans are (like Petry and Gilbert are too soft, etc.)

71. Ryan says:

speeds: It’s possible that he sees the hole, but doesn’t think it’s as big a hole as you do. It’s also possible he’s perfectly happy with what he has right now.And when September comes along, he’ll say “Well, what can you do, no move to be made at the right price”

*edit to add*It seems most reasonable to think he would still like to improve the C.On the other hand, he traded away Gagner for a W*, and acquired 2W and 2D with ~16.5M in cap room (~12M if you ignore the Gagner swap).Hard to argue that is prioritizing a C upgrade.

I think it’s a matter of short-term vs. long term view. We’re all looking at what we don’t have next season. Mact is probably (hopefully) also looking two and three years down the road.

Next year is Nuge-Arco-?DrySaddle-Gordon… which is one of those things that make you go hmm.

If Nuge gets injured you have a built-in excuse to go McDavid hunting…though I still don’t think that will stop the fan base from rioting in the streets and tearing down the HQ on Kingsway avenue. lol.

With the McDavid sweepstakes looming, you have to image that there will be GM’s looking to give their roster the Denver boot if they don’t get off to a good start. How soon that will be is hard to say, but probably prior to the halfway marker.

In that case, there will be some centres that shake loose. If I had more time on my hands, I’d take a look a teams that have potential to make the playoffs (but are not locks) as well as those that have no chance–and see what could shake loose from their rosters.

Obviously we’d have to get off to a good enough start to be in playoff contention which isn’t likely to justify grabbing a top six centre from a team pulling the chute.

The following year, you can comfortably hope that you have Nuge-DrySaddle–new guy/Yakimov/Arcobello–Gordon which should look a lot better assuming DrySaddle isn’t a draft bust or a slow developer with a sophomore slump like Yak.

72. Pouzar says:

Speaking of Pouliot….anyone hear Stauffer mention he turned down more $$ from a NY based team to sign with with EDM? Thought I heard that right.

73. nycoil says:

Pouzar,

If true, the Islanders the only possibility? Can’t see the Sabres doing that and we know the Rangers did not.

Pouliot did say playing in Canada was a goal of his.

Pouzar:

My guess would be that EDM won with term and tax rates.

New York state is among the highest taxed regions in the NHL.

After the two Florida teams, EDM and CAL are the lowest.

$4MM in Alberta is like 4.25 is NY state.

75. justDOit says:

Woodguy,

Is Quebec the highest taxed region?

76. nycoil says:

Woodguy: My guess would be that EDM won with term and tax rates.

New York state is among the highest taxed regions in the NHL.

After the two Florida teams, EDM and CAL are the lowest.

$4MM in Alberta is like 4.25 is NY state.

Sad to say this is true. And if you’re in New York City (Isles aren’t but Rangers obviously are) the taxes are even higher as there’s ~3.9% city tax for high income residents, making the NYC top tax rate 12.7% (including 8.8% state tax). Add that to the 39.6% top US federal income tax rate. Ouch.

And it costs far less to live in Edmonton as well.

Now I am depressed. Why am I living here?

77. Deadman Waiting says:

nycoil:
    Now I am depressed. Why am I living here?

Because you’re Polish–Ukrainian and you practically live on perogies, so it all came down to the 79% potato premium. NYCOIL is clearly just a euphemism for kosher Kielbasa.

78. B S says:

nycoil,

plus unless you’re a US resident you only get a $3900 deductable.

Deadman Waiting: Because you’re Polish–Ukrainian and you practically live on perogies, so it all came down to the 79% potato premium.NYCOIL is clearly just a euphemism for kosher Kielbasa.

Wait do they have perogies in New York? In f@#$ing New England they’re as rare as a 118 Ave hooker with a full set of teeth.

79. nycoil says:

B S,

Perogies next time you’re down in the City

80. hags9k says:

Ramsey to Eakins: “Wait, wait, so you mean to say you didn’t feature Yakupov’s shot on the right side of the PP last year?”
    Eakins: “No.” *blink, blink*
    Ramsey: *pukes* “DUDE!”

81. B S says:

nycoil:
    B S,

Perogies next time you’re down in the City

Thanks, willl definitely have to check it out. As a good old Edmonton boy I love me some perogies (plus once they’re made I know a few easy recipes with them, so they expand my available meals a fair bit), but they’re just so hard to find in the US. I had to go wandering through the wardrobe in walmart’s freezers before I stumbled over them, and they weren’t particularly sturdy.

82. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I think the bar on “upgrades” is a lot lower when assets aren’t being spent and the player will probably come cheap and on a short deal.

Loktionov looks like an NHL player to me. I’d be really happy to add him to the depth chart at C or wing. I just think we should be clearer about his history as a center.

I don’t know if he’s soft… but there’s some worry over it according to Hockey News’ pro scouting report:

Assets: Has plenty of playmaking and offensive prowess, backed by soft hands. Can play both center or wing. Is shifty, extremely patient with the puck and plays a heady game.

Flaws: Lacks ideal size for the NHL game and isn’t at all a physical player, so he’ll need to continue adding strength in order to thrive at the highest level.

Career Potential: Creative offensive forward with some upside.

83. bendelson says:

B S: In f@#$ing New England they’re as rare as a 118 Ave hooker with a full set of teeth.

The grawlix really saved that comment…

84. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Pouzar:

That sounds vaguely familiar… but I agree with WG that it was probably term based. He said as much himself. Tired of all the 1 year deals.

And, I believe MacT said he had to go the extra year (he said something like he wanted the same term as Fayne, so 4) to secure the player.

85. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

justDOit: I think that’s the Eklund equivalent of an E3.

BTW: http://oilers.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

As per that link sail on #58. He’s been replaced by some guy wearing #2

86. B S says:

bendelson: The grawlix really saved that comment…

Gotta keep it PG after all.

*edit: Canadian PG.

87. TheOtherJohn says:

You can always count on Stauffer to put the best possible spin on any Oiler decisions. Yeah we spent a lot of $$ on Pouliot but someone offered more $$. Maybe that’s true but that’s a lot of money for a 3W. Like the player but $4m is a lot.

Was it Bob who reported that Oilers offered the most $$ for Clarkson but lost out to Toronto? Bet the Oilers wish that story was not out there

TheOtherJohn:

Was it Bob who reported that Oilers offered the most $$ for Clarkson but lost out to Toronto? Betthe Oilers wish that story was not out there

I think the Pouliot signing is worth defending without spin. No problem with that deal.

89. Pouzar says:

The only issue I have with Pouliots contract term is if he somehow becomes a bad hockey player, ceases to be an asset, and subsequently becomes a buyout candidate. His track record suggests strongly that won’t be the case. We’ve been screaming for actual, real NHL hockey players in this age group and we acquired 2 dandys (Fayne) that I really thought we had no shot at….let alone both of them. Arrows up!

Pouzar:

Yeah, I agree there’s a risk for sure. OTOH, it seems to me the drafting team took him on when he was a rambler, and when he straightened out even teams who enjoyed his production couldn’t get over the memory.

Edmonton gets him at a time when he probably searched for some while to get this, suspect he’ll want to show a lot of people they were wrong about him.

91. TheOtherJohn says:

My point was Pouliot is a good player but even a real good player at $4m on the WING of your 3rd line has a very precious cost. If the Pouliot contract was a single above market contract it would be an outlier. Problem is that nobody spends $13m on their 3rd line. We are already overpaying Gordon, Hendricks, Ference and Nikitan and each of those decisions has a consequence.

Or magically, unlike all of their competitors, the Oilers no longer play in a salary cap system.

Salary cap management is going to be an issue as the Oilers try to compete for: firstly the playoffs and then for the SC. Or maybe they won’t

Good teams avoid shitty contracts like the plague …… The Oilers really and truly don’t care. They seemingly believe those contracts have no consequence They are so far from competing it seems irrelevant. It is not.

92. supernova says:

TheOtherJohn:
    My point was Pouliot is a good player but even a real good player at$4m on the WING of your 3rd linehas a very precious cost. If the Pouliot contract was a single above market contract it would be an outlier. Problem is that nobody spends $13m on their 3rd line. We are already overpaying Gordon, Hendricks, Ference and Nikitan and each of those decisions has a consequence.

TheOtherJohn,

Let’s play this out and we can see.

Salary Cap next season (15-16)very likely to be at $73 – 75. So let’s call it $74.

The next season (16-17) if we use history we can assume at least a 7% increase. So that takes us to approximately $80 million.

The oilers salary cap is fairly concrete for the core as well.

Oilers are going to be sitting ok for the duration of the Hall, Ebs, and RNH contracts.

They would need a back breaker deal to throw them way off.

Paying some players an extra million or two is actually something they can afford and probably need to afford to get to the next level.

Not every team gets their players on a discount and oilers are on the other side of that.

If the oilers don’t start getting better soon, I would be concerned about Hall wanting out.

93. TheOtherJohn says:

Two assumptions you are making on your “we’re ok” salary cap management model. First that the cap just keeps going up. It may. It also may not. If it doesn’t bad contracts could cripple a promising team before it gets good. Secondly that somewhere: somehow we add some low cost contracts that makes the blown money on bad contracts manageable. Add Nurse, Klefbom and Draistl to your cap. None of them are cheap w bonuses it’s $7+m. And with the exception of Marincin we have added no 2nd, 3rd or later round players on really cheap contracts.

Any idea what LAK, Chi, STL spends on their 3rd line? It ain’t $10-11m. Nor is it $7.0m on their 3rd pairing D or $6m on their 4th line

But you are right a steadily rising tide on the salary cao will salvage all of the overpays

94. supernova says:

TheOtherJohn,

When doing cap management you do have to assume certain things, we already have a good idea what the cap will be for one full season from now. (15 -16) due to the new Canadian tv contract. Which is approx. $74 million.

Even if we assume no rise of the cap after that. Edmonton can be fine. They key is a combination of short and long term of contracts.

LA has a center being paid $6 million playing 4th line minutes.

Chicago has it’s Pouliot playing at times 2nd line, other times 3 rd line minutes. Bryan Bickell $4 million.

I think it is beneficial to look at the team in terms of Management as percentage or dollar amount for FWD, D, G.

LA has this breakdown- $40, 20, 7

Edmonton is nearly identical. Teams can be higher in one area for a year or two but they find their range soon.

Chicago will be reshuffling their roster with the new Kane/ toews deals but they were very close to those dollar amounts too, a little higher on the D side.

Do I want overpaid contracts ?

Of course not

Do I want to get out of the lottery draft ?

If these contracts don’t move us up the standings then they are terrible, but what else can we do? We have been drafting high for 7 years and have barely moved the needle, we need to augment the roster somehow.

Would I prefer $3 mill for 3 years on Poo ? Of course but we wouldn’t have him
    $2 mill for 3 years on Gordon ? Same answer
    $3 mill for 2 years on Nikitin ? Same answer

Pick your poison.

95. TheOtherJohn says:

“.We have a similiar breakdown as LAK”…… except we have a 28th place team.They just won the cup. You also cite Chicago……yeah we’re not like them either

That is they have proven winners and that is their payroll.

I realize summer time is a time for unbridled optimism but we should be a long way away from the cap with the quality of this roster.

96. Bruce McCurdy says:

Lowetide: Hmmm. I don’t know how to do that, sorry. Take first 15 games away at BTN? Anyone? I don’t know that area.

On raw scoring, RNH had 13 points in his first 15 games, with 6 of them on the PP.