THE HOCKEY NEWS!

Elliotte Friedman let loose with an overflowing 30 thoughts earlier today, and several passages involved the Oilers. The money quote from Friedman: They’re going to look for a centre, because they don’t want to rush Leon Draisaitl for no reason.

FRIEDMAN’S THOUGHTS

• 21. Edmonton landed two of its top targets in free agency — Mark Fayne and Benoit Pouliot. (Someone was willing to go a sixth year on Pouliot, so the Oilers went to five to get him.) They also took a run at Olli Jokinen, who took slightly less in salary elsewhere (but in a tax-free state). They’re going to look for a centre, because they don’t want to rush Leon Draisaitl for no reason. Same goes for Darnell Nurse. Sault Ste. Marie has a good rep, so I don’t think it would bother Edmonton if he needs to go back there and try for the World Juniors.

I’m fine with the Pouliot contract. This was the lesson of David Clarkson last summer, but the club got a better player and a better match. I know the money is dear, but the Oilers need a specific player-type and Pouliot fits. It’s like Gordon a year ago. This is also the passage that mentions their third target (Jokinen) along with Fayne and Pouliot—we can discuss it later but that would appear to be a fairly nice group from this summer’s free agents.

MARK FAYNE EXTRA SKATER fayne es

BENOIT POULIOT EXTRA SKATER (1.80 5×5 per 60)

pouliot extra skaterOLLI JOKINEN EXTRA SKATER (1.64/5X5  per 60)

JOKINEN EXTRA SKATERThis is going to sound insincere but I’m glad the Oilers got Fayne and Pouliot, and am satisfied they can find a suitable player in the fall should Arco and or Leon falter. If something comes available, maybe we’ll see an addition before training camp, although I wouldn’t count on it.

• 22. Could see two University of Wisconsin alumni — Jake Gardiner and Justin Schultz — agreeing to short bridge deals.

Pleased to see this, MacT is in some danger here in regard to Schultz. With Petry less than 12 months from full fledged free agency, Schultz is the future on the RH side along with Fayne and (probably) someone from OKC (possibly treble Klef). A two-year deal for reasonable dollars allows Edmonton cap freedom and room to take on a bargain contract (should it come available) from Philly or Boston or Chicago.

• 35. Benning wasn’t going there, but it is believed both Vancouver and Edmonton tried to pry Patrik Berglund from St. Louis. With Vladimir Sobotka gone, it’s harder to see the Blues parting with Berglund. “We see our centre ice being big and the toughest to play against with Berglund in it,” Blues GM Doug Armstrong said. “He gives us a lot of options.” (Armstrong would not comment on specific teams that asked).

Berglund may in fact have been a target, but I’d love to see Vladimir Sabotka here instead. Reports in the previous thread suggest this bird has flown to Russia already, but a guy can dream.

So, not earth shattering but some news worth reading during a long summer without news. This reminds me of those precious days when the monthly Hockey News would arrive at Rexall, and I’d read it from cover to cover and back again.

Hurry sundown, hurry cool September. WHAT am I saying?

43 Responses to "THE HOCKEY NEWS!"

1. RexLibris says:

The vapour trail of Gagner heading out of town can still be seen in the sky and hearing this seems like music in the wind.

An organization that learns from mistakes, makes more or less the right call on free agents, sees the landscape for what it is, and decides that discretion is the better part of valour.

Are these the same Edmonton Oilers I know and love?

2. RexLibris says:

I’d also add that missing on Jokinen doesn’t break my heart.

Fayne and Pouliot were the big wins, and I wouldn’t trade either of them to add Jokinen.

I wonder if MacTavish starts kicking tires on O’Reilly.

3. TheOtherJohn says:

Like Pouliot a lot. Hate the $$. No concern on term. Wonder what Perron will want when his contract is up: $25m over 5 yrs? Based on Gordon & Pouliot contracts not sure how Oil can say no.

Only reason Dreisatl or Nurse make roster is if MacT feels a need to sell a shiny new player to fan base. Only hole squad has at C is near top of the order and Draisatl ought not to be feed to the big boys in WC. Nurse at 195lbs will get knocked around if he tries to play rock em sock em hockey with NHL players

4. Marcus Oilerius says:

Link to Friedman’s 30 Thoughts.

Quoth the Fried Man: “Could Jeff Petry be 2015′s Niskanen?”

5. Marcus Oilerius says:

17. With a glut of centres, Capuano said that Brock Nelson is going to get a shot at the wing with John Tavares (who is skating again) and Kyle Okposo. Nelson played with them on the power play and spent time on the wing at the world championships. Frans Nielsen is not switching positions. “Frans is one of the smartest players in hockey. And he thinks the game as a centre.”

Perron for Nelson?

6. Rondo says:

Interesting article by Jason Gregor regarding Darnell Nurse

He does not agree with Brock Otten.

Brock Otten responds to the article

That’s perfectly fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Nowhere did I say that he dominated every shift. I said that he dominated quite a few shifts. There’s a difference there.

Bottom line is that if he dominated quite a few shifts last year, the projection would be for him to dominate even more as a 19 year old. And that raises the question? Do you want him dominating the competition? Quite frankly, I’d rather my top prospect be challenged. It’s only through adversity and challenge that we improve.

Pietrangelo is the perfect case of that. Jason Gregor can throw stats out as he wishes, but Pietrangelo was not terrific in that 19 year old year with Barrie (a year which I saw him a lot). He DID develop bad habits that year and in 08-09 with Niagara. He was making bad pinches, had developed a bit of lazyness away from the puck and in returning to his own end and times looked disinterested when the puck wasn’t on his stick.

Did Pietrangelo turn out alright? Hell yeah he did. He’s one of the top defenseman in the NHL already at a young age. But his final two years in junior, where he bounced around the NHL, and the OHL were not good years for him in the OHL.

Each individual prospect requires a different developmental path because no two people/players are the same psychologically.

The coaching staff in Sault Ste. Marie is top notch, among the best in the league. But what I’m simply saying is that I think he’s learned all he can from the OHL. The coaching staff can’t control the competition he’ll be facing off against. Nurse is physically ready for the NHL. And I think he’s mentally ready for it too. One of the most composed and mature kids in the O.

Nowhere in the article did I say that if the Oilers send him back to the OHL he’ll be ruined and will never develop into an NHL player. I said I think it would be a mistake and I stick by that. I think he’s ready for a new challenge.

July 21, 2014 at 4:12 PM
    Blogger Brock Otten said…
    I should add…

Yes, Nurse does have some things to work on. He’s by no means the perfect player? But who is.

His ability to read the play, both offensively and defensively, is the biggest area of improvement needed from him.

But in the OHL, he can find so much success without having that particular trait, because of his skill set. In the NHL, he’d be forced to learn and forced to improve. That’s just my two cents.

If he comes back to the OHL next year, dominates, wins a WJC Gold, wins Defenseman of the Year. That would all be fine and dandy. It’s not going to screw him up. BUT, going into 2015/2016, when he goes to make Edmonton, he’ll still have to learn how to play to the speed of the NHL and improve his decision making ability. Why not do it next year?

7. Marcus Oilerius says:

Rondo,

I hate to agree with Jason Gregor, but on the left side we have Nikitin, Marincin, Ference, Aulie, and Klefbom as options. I wouldn’t be surprised if Nurse is better than one or two of those three, but three of them? No.

In exchange, you’re losing an ELC year.

Otten makes a good point about Nurse needing to ramp up the competition level to learn (and Gregor is an obstinate mule on this point), but the advantages of throwing Nurse in compared to the disadvantages (having to send down Aulie and one of Marincin or Klefbom, and putting one of Nikitin, Ference, or Marincin/Klefbom in the #7 position) are too much. Ideally he’d be in the AHL, but that would burn an ELC year, too.

No doubt Nurse will learn some bad habits, and he won’t learn to make decisions as quick as he’d need to at the pro level (minor or NHL), but he’ll come out fine. Possibly with a Memorial Cup run and WJHC medal, and an extra 10lbs of muscle.

8. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Joe Haggerty ‏@HackswithHaggs 6m
    FWIW, talked to somebody close to Kevin Hayes and sounds like not much of a chance he signs w/CHI. Avs and Preds appear to be lead suitors

9. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I wonder if there was interest in Sobotka. My guess is no one thought the was available… the breakdown was kind of sudden and shocking right?

Once it happened, though, you’d think an NHL team would take a run. I believe he did have out clauses.

With that arb deal… though, I don’t know how’d it work. IIRC you can’t re-up until like Jan. And, the only reason he’d come back now to that deal is if you extended him a much bigger money long term.

——–
    I’m glad they were in on Olli. Just wish they targeted Perreault and Legwand at the same time.

10. Romulus Apotheosis says:

BTW… I’d be remiss if I didn’t comment on your picture selection.

THN calls him a “solid citizen” which is… weird

he’s running negative on the rel

two year left at 3M and he’s 33.

aim higher Oilers. aim higher.

I’d rather just spend the 3 large on Winnik and Loktionov, than on Kelly.

Assets only go out the door if they cost nothing, or something really good is coming back (Nielson, Anisimov)

Rom: Yeah, I’m a Bruins fan and can say he’s not a player Edmonton should acquire. I love that photo though, that logo is awesome!

12. Romulus Apotheosis says:

and do you mean the shoulder patch or the chest crest?

13. gr8one says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    BTW… I’d be remiss if I didn’t comment on your picture selection.

THN calls him a “solid citizen” which is… weird

he’s running negative on the rel

two year left at 3M and he’s 33.

aim higher Oilers. aim higher.

I’d rather just spend the 3 large on Winnik and Loktionov, then on Kelly.

I am meh on Loktionov, but still think a Winnik signing for this team would be outstanding for our bottom six. I was hopeful he was a target on day of of free agency and am quite honestly astonished he’s even still available.

I was daydreaming today of a package to acquire him centering on Schultz+ going the other way, and then filling the Schultz void by bringing in Franson for something like Gernat and a 2nd.

Romulus Apotheosis: that’s interesting. you’ve got me curious now. That looks like a thoroughly pedestrian sports photo to me. What am I missing?

and do you mean the shoulder patch or the chest crest?

15. John Chambers says:

Friedman makes some good points about the Canucks being a good team who ran low on morale and luck this past year.

They may take this one-year hiccup and be right up there with LA (who they were tied with in the standings mid-season). I’m interested in this idea of short-term re-builds where a team completely collapses one season, like the way Montreal did prior to drafting Galchenyuk, and then the dead wood is cleared , the team gets healthy, and they’re right back competing but with a couple of top-drawer prospects added into the fold.

16. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Both. Those are wonderful colors, just incredible. God I loved the Bruins as a kid.

The original owner, Charles Adams, chose the black and yellow to match the colours of his grocery chain. The Bruins were an extension of his marketing plan.

Similar to the original Alberta Oilers’ colours being chosen because Gulf as a primary sponsor, or the Eskimos (’49 to present incarnation) wearing Green and Yellow (yeah, it’s capitalized because it is the Eskimos!) because when they joined the only jerseys they could find were loaners from the U of A.

I love those franchise origin stories. They tell so much about the things we all take for granted now. Fans treat the teams like a quasi-religion, and the beginnings are often so humble and quaint that it wonderful to look back.

Anyway, probably not saying anything new here, but I can’t help ramble a bit when it comes to history.

17. RexLibris says:

Sidenote: the Bruins original rink, Boston Arena, was/is the world’s oldest indoor ice hockey venue. Opened in 1910, first hockey game was in March 1911.

18. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ha! Ok… that makes sense then.

how do you feel about the alternate jersey, with the bear on it?

More pensive than threatening. Still, I like it.

19. Dee Dee says:

From #40 on the Friedman list:

Ales Hemsky will play with Jamie Benn and Tyler Seguin.

Awesome news for Ales getting to play with one of the top lines in hockey.

They will strike fear in the hearts of their opposition, going to be a scary thing to watch.

Romulus Apotheosis: Ha! Ok… that makes sense then.

how do you feel about the alternate jersey, with the bear on it?

More pensive than threatening. Still, I like it.

21. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: Don’t like them at all. Awful. I also don’t like the crest being worn as the logo. Spoked B on the chest, black road and home whites. That’s all.

Ok. but how do you feel about fresh mint in lemonade?

22. Pouzar says:

RexLibris: I’m probably telling you something you already know, but are you familiar with the provenance of the Bruins colours?

Why is the new CFL team called the Ottawa Rod Blacks? He’s not that good.

23. justDOit says:

gr8one:

Franson would do more than just fill the void. You could replace Jultz with Del Zotto very ea$ily though.

24. justDOit says:

Pouzar: Why is the new CFL team called the Ottawa Rod Blacks? He’s not that good.

Ding ding ding ding!

25. RexLibris says:

Just wait until Labour Day when they bring out the 3rd jerseys with his face on the front like the Islanders’ Captain High Liner logo.

26. Lois Lowe says:

I was at a wedding in Saskatoon this weekend. I haven’t spent a lot of time in Saskatchewan, actually, almost none. I had no idea that the Riders were such a big deal. I mean, I knew that people there were a bit nuts about their team, but I had no idea about the depth of craziness.

27. gr8one says:

RexLibris: It’s the moustache. The Upper Lip Hair Lobby makes the CAW union look like a Girl Scout troupe.

Gold. Pure. Gold.

Lois Lowe:

I’m married to one. I know. GOD how I know.

29. Pouzar says:

hee hee….classic!

30. justDOit says:

Lois Lowe,

I lived there for 30 years, and can say that you’ve probably only scratched the surface during your visit. Imagine if that province had an NHL team? Year round crazy!

31. Lois Lowe says:

justDOit,

I imagine that’s what us Edmonton fans look like to the rest of the world.

32. bigbadbruin24 says:

Nothing to say really but I figured I should comment since the photo is of a Bruins player.

33. wheatnoil says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

There were reports they were in on Perreault… I think from Rishaug actually but I can’t quite remember. I remember it being a credible source though.

Not sure if they were in on Legwand though. Rishaug’s tweet was about it being lukewarm from both sides.

34. wheatnoil says:

Lois Lowe:

My wife and I went to the hospital just before the Grey Cup game last year for what turned out to be ‘false labour’. We were there for the whole first half and the staff were coming in and giving updates on the game to the women entering labour (and their husbands).

There are fans, there are fanatics… and then there’s Rider fans.

35. PunjabiOil says:

They had options, the cap space, and financial means to add a 2C in free agency.

Perreault, Legwand, Jokinen, Roy, Ribeiro, etc.

Like I said, if they don’t address the 2C hole, it’s fair to direct criticism MacT’s way.

- Would also like the Oil to sign Penner. He’ll probably get no more than 1-1.5M. Flush Joensuu. Immediate upgrade.

For a team like the Oilers who invest in analytics, why aren’t they captivating on market inefficiencies and value contracts?

36. RexLibris says:

Lois Lowe:
    justDOit,

I imagine that’s what us Edmonton fans look like to the rest of the world.

Perhaps. But we all know what Stampeders fans look like from here though.

37. RexLibris says:

wheatnoil: I went to my first Rider game last year. Let me tell you, it was wild. Literally every man, woman and child I saw in the entire city of Regina on game day was dressed in official apparel, right down to the babes in arms. Before the game I sat in Roca Jack’s coffee house and sipped coffee while a random guy with a massive build, a heavy Russian accent, huge white beard, and a Durant jersey engaged me in conversation and complained vociferously about the O-Line.

There are fans, there are fanatics… and then there’s Rider fans.

Saw a glorious “Ski Saskatchewan” t-shirt online a few years ago. Featured an image of a downhill skier…parallel to the horizontal.

Wish I’d bought it.

I have family from Saskatchewan and last Christmas I bought them a (used) Encyclopeadia of Saskatchewan (yes, these things actually exist). The best part was I told them that inside there was a pop-up diorama of the province. Open the book and lay it flat on the table and…voila!

I think I’ll be getting coal this Christmas.

38. mumbai max says:

gr8one: Agree totally, I remember seeing the “solid citizen” thing a couple weeks ago and had the exact same thought. Weird.

Or Del Zotto for nothing

39. haters says:

Should we be worried about Fayne pulling a Clarkenstien ? Player coming from strong possession/defensive team to, well I mean, here ?

40. matt says:

gr8one: Boy would O’Reilly be the perfect fit for this team, I wonder what it would in addition to Schultz in a package to get him.

THIS. Or something close. Add to it the (theoretical) prospect of picking up Winnick and Penner and flushing Joensuu and I risk checking twitter incessantly like during day 1 of free agency.

Otherwise, MacT had two huge jobs to do (D + C). He did one. Failing grade until he atones.

41. Lloyd B. says:

I was staying in a hotel downtown Regina last year on game day. Green on everything and everyone. The door swipe card stopped working that day so I had to go get a new one at the front desk. Roughrider logo on the new swipe card ! I didn’t think it was on purpose but I wouldn’t put it past them.