TRAINING CAMP HOPEFUL NO. 1: MITCHELL MOROZ

Mitchell Moroz fits a need going back a long while if he can deliver in all areas required for a big, physical forward who can complement skill forwards. It’s a really difficult job, and it takes awhile to find the range. When we discuss a player-type like Moroz, the temptation to compare him to the outer markers (I’m not going to name him, so you can forget it) is overwhelming. How about we let Mitchell Moroz be Mitchell Moroz, and see where that takes us?

MITCHELL MOROZ RE 14-15

PPG NAME GP G A PTS
.429 MITCHELL MOROZ OKC RE 14-15 70 15 15 30
  MITCHELL MOROZ OILERS RE 14-15 1 0 0 0

This is a reasonable bet for Mitchell Moroz based on the ice-time he’ll probably get in Oklahoma City. The club has several Barons they’ll want to give playing time in the AHL this season on the left side.

BARONS DEPTH CHART (FORWARDS)

LEFT WING CENTER RIGHT WING
RYAN HAMILTON (300k) JASON WILLIAMS MATT FORD
CURTIS HAMILTON (75k) WILL ACTON (100k) STEVE PINIZZOTTO (225k)
MITCHELL MOROZ (70k) BOGDAN YAKIMOV (70k) ANDREW MILLER (90k)
KALE KESSY (65k) JUJHAR KHAIRA (70k) IIRO PAKARINEN (70k)
KELLEN JONES TRAVIS EWANYK (60k) MITCH HOLMBERG
JOSH WINQUIST CONNOR JONES

REDLINE REPORT DRAFT DAY

• Redline Report: Big, edgy power forward plays an in-your-face style and looks to initiate hard contact all over the ice. A feared enforcer who picked up 20 fighting majors, yet skates and handles the puck well enough to take regular shifts. Coaches eventually rotated him into the top six to give scoring lines a boost – gives smaller, skilled linemates more room to work with his physicality. Has surprising offensive tools with a heavy snap shot. Puckhandling confidence is soaring and he’s willing to try things with the puck now he wouldn’t have dreamed of six months ago. Skating enables him to play in open ice and even has decent lateral agility. Spins off checks to find space and gets to open ice. Emerging force uses great size/strength to dominate below the circles and is impossible to move around crease. Development curve is heading straight up and has upside.
  1. What role will he play? Likely a checking role, maybe (as the season rolls on) a two-way role. He was part of a shutdown line in Edmonton, but that’s probably for the future at this level.
  2. Will he get power play time? Moroz did in junior, scoring 9 of his 35 goals last season in the WHL with the man advantage. I don’t think he’ll get heavy minutes on special teams this season, but we’ll see.
  3. Craig MacTavish wants these kids to play. Sure, but a feature role at 20? Offensively? Nah, that’s too rich.
  4. Do you like Moroz to make the jump? The Oilers haven’t been very successful getting their forwards from the AHL to the NHL since arriving in OKC. Many of them (Hartikainen, Omark, others) spend time in the NHL but are found wanting. That may be a prospect problem, but it may also be a flaw in the system (as you asked about above). Moroz, I would think, is a pretty big test for the AHL coaching staff. Edmonton drafted this young man out of order because they liked the cut of his jib, and certainly want to see return on their investment.

43 Responses to "TRAINING CAMP HOPEFUL NO. 1: MITCHELL MOROZ"

1. Rocknrolla says:

Really liking the RE series LT, and also the 2 posts a day is making my summer that much more enjoyable!

Cheering for Mitch, but lets see how he does after a good coup,e years in the AHL. If he can end up like a Clifford or King from LA, great! Seems to have the tools…just keep that confidence going.

2. Bar_Qu says:

I can’t see anything but positive by letting all those guys duke it out in the A. Seriously. If we consider the AHL to be the next toughest league to the NHL, then by giving them a chance to earn ice time and develop the skills needed to succeed at that level under (thankfully) Coach Nelson, then we might see a couple (please more than one!) emerge.

Like throwing noodles against the wall, only more refined. Right?

Honestly though, Moroz, Yakimove and Khaira might learn something about what it takes to be successful or work hard from Pinnizotto, R. Hamilton and Acton. Those guys might not be the ones I want to see on my team, but they certainly fit the bill for demonstrating good work habits and professionalism to younger players.

3. leadfarmer says:

He still is a long shut but really cheering for this player. Would be nice to have an enforcer that can still play. If he learns how to stand in front of the net and battle for garbage goals he might just get some powerplay time.

Left wing in OKC is pretty wide open for anyone inclined to seize the opportunity.

5. Zangetsu says:

I strongly doubt he gets even 1 game in the bigs. I have seen better players at a younger age be bad AHLers. Hamilton and Pitliick jump to mind.

In other news, I think you have holmberg too far down the lineup, buddy can play.

Also, I missed it yesterday, but why do you hate Eberle? He will never be a physical player, but he has such good hockey sense that I’m sure he will become a solid 2way player. There are times, and they’re not as rare as some believe, that eberle is the one carrying the offence, not Hall.

6. Bag of Pucks says:

Outer marker = Lucic

This is what’s known as ‘playing along at home’

Btw LT, if Marshall Mathers does in fact become the Great White Whale (I.e. A legitimate NHL power forward), The Magnificent Bastard will be exactly that – for life – or until he starts scouting from Mexico.

7. Rocknrolla says:

Loved that he spent a lot of time with Ryan Smyth while he was up here at camp last year. If he can become that front net tip machine, that would be great! Maybe Smitty could be a mentor for him.

8. bendelson says:

Bag of Pucks:
    Outer marker = Lucic

This is what’s known as ‘playing along at home’

So any type of direct comparison shouldn’t last very long beyond training camp.

9. Melman says:

Bar_Qu,

The Williams signing was a very good add for OKC as well.

10. Bag of Pucks says:

bendelson: So Lucic the rookie made the Bruins out of training camp, played 77 games, scoring 27 points (plus 2 goals in playoffs) .

So any type of direct comparison shouldn’t last very long beyond training camp.

Spoilsport.

Since we’re wishing and dreaming anyway, I’m going school with my comp. – Cam Neely.

Btw, why are the Bruins so good at this?

John Tonelli please.

I’d take John Tonelli over Lucic or even Neely.

12. bendelson says:

Bag of Pucks,

You never really know.

He could surprise at camp, hit the ground running, never see the AHL and find himself bulging the twine in NHL playoffs this year.

Perhaps we should find a more appropriate outer-marker?

13. bendelson says:

Neely, Tonelli… yeah, we are getting into Moroz territory now.
    Why stop there guys?
    Let’s give him #11 at camp and move him to centre and wait for the magic.

14. Bag of Pucks says:

bendelson:
    Neely, Tonelli…yeah, we are getting into Moroz territory now.
    Why stop there guys?
    Let’s give him #11 at camp and move him to centre and wait for the magic.

Anointing a new ‘Messiah?’

Heretic ; )

Zangetsu:

16. Bag of Pucks says:

Lowetide: Every year since he was drafted, someone has told me I hate Eberle. On the bright side, this is the latest in the calendar year it’s happened!

Why do you hate Eberle, LT?

It’s because your wife is a Riders fan, isn’t it?

Ok, that sounded borderline stalkerazzi. I may be spending too much time on this site.

17. Pouzar says:

On the bright side….yer not alone.

18. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“the temptation to compare him to the outer markers (I’m not going to name him, so you can forget it) is overwhelming”

Fred Garvin?

19. Zangetsu says:

I know I’ve said it many times before under another alias.

Zangetsu:

I know I’ve said it many times before under another alias.

well, you’re late! :-)

21. Pouzar says:

Is anyone else as excited for the OKC season as the Oiler season? I know I am. This is a huge year in terms of seeing if we have the makings of an honest to gord NHL team along with the a decent pipeline of prospects.

22. Henry says:

The inner marker on this fellow is Hartikainen. I hope he can protect the puck and shoulder off defenders as well as he did. Fighting will be a plus in the sense that he might be able to eliminate the need for another while maintaining the skills of a hockey player. If he scores 20 goals as a rookie AHLer there will much to cheer for.

23. Henry says:

Jason Williams is a fine pickup for this team. If Khaira or Yak2 struggle at C one can slide to the wing. If not, Williams can slide there and score.

24. Younger Oil says:

I wonder if the Gardiner contract is a good or bad thing for the Schultz contract negotiations. It would be awesome if he would accept a very similar contract if a bridge deal is off the table.

25. Zangetsu says:

Honestly I was waiting for the Eberle RE. I never got an earlier chance to say it. I had a hard time watching the second half. I checked out in november (when we were out of the playoffs) and came back for the draft. Caught a game or two since. Followed the stats, but that’s about it. Just got too busy livin.

My favourite LT moment in the Eberle hatred was last years RE when you praised gagner saying he was only a few months older than ebs. Then projected ebs to regress despite having played most of that season with a broken wrist.

Zangetsu:

Of course, last year’s RE was accurate, so there is that.

A little something on 20-year old AHL seasons

28. Hammers says:

I don’t see Pitlick or Joensuu on the Barons list above . No way they both make the NHL !

Hammers:

I have both playing more than 10 games next season, so they’re not on the list. Absolutely both could be on the opening night roster, what with Gazdic injured

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Male Prostitute.

Filling out job applications there Rom?

31. OilLeak says:

Has someone hijacked Rom’s account or is there a hidden message to the video he posted?

32. "Steve Smith" says:

OilLeak,

Yeah, that was me, sorry. But in compensation, I’ve let Rom take over my account. And by “I”, I mean “Rom”, and by “Rom”, I also mean “Rom”.

33. Numenius says:

“Steve Smith”:
    OilLeak,

Yeah, that was me, sorry.But in compensation, I’ve let Rom take over my account.And by “I”, I mean “Rom”, and by “Rom”, I also mean “Rom”.

Nicely done, “Rom”.

34. hags9k says:

Something tells me this is the great white ninja they have been coke machining for since forever. I like the cut of Moroz’s jib too. Exciting times. GOILERS

35. G Money says:

Drinks this season for when either scores:

Eberle – http://shop.eberlewinery.com/Catalog/PRT_FBRED12_SMALL_20130307_092828.png

Hall – http://www.hallwines.com/media/catalog/product/cache/4/small_image/198x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/h/a/hall-napa-valley-cabernet-wine_9.jpg

I was at downtownfood in Calgary this evening but did not notice until too late that they carried an Eberle wine.

36. theres oil in virginia says:

Lowetide: Of course, last year’s RE was accurate, so there is that.

Details, details. And where was your prediction for Eberle’s 2013-14 “under 21 y. o.” goals? That’s the only advanced stat. that really matters anymore. You’ve gotta keep up with the times LT; the world moves fast.

;)

37. Romulus Apotheosis says:

OilLeak,

You’ll have to excuse me, I was suffering from an acute case of “Steve Smith.” Thankfully, “Steve Smith” offered to take over my account in good standing. And, I, by which “I” means “”Steve Smith”,” have left it in said standing, re: “Good.” As soon as I, meaning “Rom” not “Steve Smith,” see my “Steve Smith” clear up, I’ll be back to normal. In the interim, I, meaning “Steve Smith,” will be handling all of my, meaning “Rom’s,” affairs.

In the meantime, please consider the services of Great Lakes Feed and Grain as a gratuity paid upon your years of accounts receiving. Mitch Moroz, by which I, “Steve Smith,” mean “Fred Garvin” will be by on all odd numbered evenings. Animal gratification assured.

Users, however may find they suffer afterward from an acute case of “Steve Smith” or at the very least a bad case of “apple thumb.”

38. russ99 says:

i hope for the kid’s sake they don’t rush him. Besides, it looks like we’re set on wing for his role at the NHL level with Purcell and Pouliot anyway.

This year in the AHL should tell a lot. Many, including me, think that his numbers with the Oil Kings aren’t sustainable against bigger and tougher players, and playing more of a defensive role.

I have much higher hopes for Chase than I do for Moroz and Khaira.

39. Oilanderp says:

Aren’t we happy if Moroz can put Gazdic out of a job eventually?

40. Wolfpack says:

Moroz is a prospect that I cheer for just a tiny bit more than the others. I can’t recall a player criticized by so many people for the simple fact that he was drafted 15 spots (or whatever) earlier than expected. Like it was somehow his fault for getting picked where he did. If he can develop in the AHL like he progressed in junior, he has a chance to play in the NHL. And I really hope he does, because he is just what the doctor ordered for the Oilers.

I am not sure when the Oilers last had a feared player who could actually play. Billy Guerin?

41. wintoon says:

Wolfpack you have a very short memory. Mr. Horcoff simply signed the contract offered by the Oilers management and he became an instant pariah. Certainly not his fault for accepting a bucket full of money.