TRAINING CAMP HOPEFUL NO. 2: ANDREW MILLER

It is always dangerous to make a judgement based on first impressions. Andrew Miller looked slow and undersized during his first exposure to the Oilers fanbase last fall, and frankly didn’t post much offense early in Oklahoma territory. However, as the year rolled along arrows began to land in a good direction, and now we have a prospect of interest to follow.

ANDREW MILLER 13-14 REVIEW

PPG NAME GP G A PTS
.726 ANDREW MILLER OKC RE 13-14 73 16 37 53
.654 ANDREW MILLER OKC ACTUAL 13-14 52 8 26 34

ANDREW MILLER RE 14-15

PPG NAME GP G A PTS
.676 ANDREW MILLER OKC RE 14-15 65 14 30 44
.000 ANDREW MILLER OILERS 14-15 1 0 0 0

ODDS AND SODS

• Corey Pronman: The 24 year old center is a classic small, skilled college player. Miller displays above-average qualities in terms of his speed, puck skills and overall offensive instincts. In his Senior season especially he showed the ability to consistently create scoring chances and keep the play flowing in the right direction.
  • $90,000 AHL and $675,000 NHL salary under his new contract signed recently.
  • Miller on playing in the AHL: “I’m a smaller guy, so I’ve got to avoid the bigger guys. But (speed) gives me a jump on the defense where other people might be a little slower to make a turn and get there. I try to take advantage of my speed and use it. So far I’m still learning how to use it in the best way, but hopefully I’ll be able to harness it and become a good player using my speed.” Source
  • Neal Livingston on Andrew Miller playing in the AHL:  Used mostly as a versatile right winger, Andrew Miller was an important piece in Todd Nelson’s game plan of suffrage. Miller caught the eye of Craig MacTavish coming out of the collegiate ranks, and seemingly was poised to play a bottom center role with the Oilers “one day.” A wrist injury sidelined him for a spell in Oklahoma City, and while he was out, the team moved forward. The youthfulness caught somewhat of a rhythm down the stretch, and when he was inserted back into the fold his role slightly changed. Source

RECENT COLLEGE SIGNINGS

1. March 8, 2011: Oilers sign Taylor Fedun from Princeton. (4 NHL games).
  2. March 19, 2011: Oilers sign Tanner House from Maine.
  3. March 31, 2011: Oilers sign Hunter Tremblay from University of New Brunswick.
  4. April 4, 2011: Oilers sign Mark Arcobello from Stockton (via Yale). (42 NHL games).
  5. July 1, 2012: Oilers sign Justin Schultz from Wisconsin. (122 NHL games)
  6. April 17, 2013: Oilers sign Andrew Miller from Yale.
  7. April 1, 2014: Oilers sign Jordan Oesterle from Western Michigan.
  1. What role will he play? Two-way role, I believe.  Oilers have Matt Ford, Steve Pinnizzotto, new Finn Pakarinen and maybe Pitlick at the position. Miller should get his share of PP time, but one suspects he’ll play the role Livingston mentions above.
  2. Will he play center? Possibly, Oilers are very young at the position. Signing Jason Williams recently really helps, but if Jujhar Khaira or Bogdan Yakimov struggle there, Miller may move in to support Williams, Acton and Ewanyk.
  3. Is he too old to have an NHL career? He’ll be 26 in the fall, but that doesn’t mean Miller can’t have a career. Last year’s 52 games were the first pro games of his hockey career.
  4. What year was he draft eligible? 2008 and 2009, I believe. He played for the Chicago Steel (USHL) both seasons, so in that way is somewhat similar to recent draft selection Tyler Vesel.
  5. Did he play with Troy Hesketh? No. Miller left after the 2000-09 season, Hesketh arrived 2010 fall.
  6. How can he get to the NHL? Good two-way play, more offense.
  7. What’s the best thing he has going for him? The current GM signed him. It’s a big damn deal.

Photo by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved

17 Responses to "TRAINING CAMP HOPEFUL NO. 2: ANDREW MILLER"

1. Cobbler says:

“March 8, 2011: Oilers sign Taylor Fedun from Princeton. (4 NHL games).”

Ahhhh, I wish we could have seen Fedun more in the NHL wishing him all the best in his new spot.

Where did Hunter Tremblay end up. I always thought there was a player there.

Best of luck to Miller, hopefully he can rip it up in the “A” like Arcobello has.

2. Cobbler says:

LT, I am really enjoying the RE as well as the “Training Camp Hopeful” series. Just an excellent read.

3. Chris Hext---formerly EasyOil--- says:

Cobbler,

I was wondering the same about Tremblay. Had a solid first AHL year, and was good defensively if reports were to be believed, joined St John the next year and it looks like it was shortened by injury. Hockeydb and EliteProspects both lose track of him after 2012/13. Latest news report I can see on him has him playing in a ball hockey tournament this summer, but that’s it! Maybe he decided pro hockey wasn’t for him.

EDIT: A further browse of the interwebs shows his injury in 2012/13 was concussion related. Perhaps he’s still suffering symptoms?

Chris and Cobbler,

Yeah, looks like something happened. Had a pretty nice season in the AHL as a rookie.

5. Melman says:

Whew, close call – I thought we were only going to get one post today! Thanks LT, now I can crack another beer.

6. Cobbler says:

Too bad, but unfortunately this is what happens to a lot of prospects. Injury is a big factor, I think particularly when the organization is not as strongly vested in the AHL contracts.

Is there any data on attrition levels due to injury at the AHL level that anyone knows of? Is this sort of thing tracked?

7. Hammers says:

Sooner or later (Arco ) one smaller player out of NCAA will make it . Only if there is a good team concept around him . When I think of Fluery I go wow what an asset . If one of these smaller ( not in heart ) players can make it we must shout to the heavens . . I wish Miller all the best but a bit of luck may help .

8. wheatnoil says:

I like these NCAA signings… low risk and low developmental cost. Miller had a pretty underwhelming year last year, but that points-per-game rate was a bit higher than I thought it was. He’s got to take a step forward this year, but he was a low-risk bet.

9. Marcus Oilerius says:

I just found out it’s 69 days until puck drop. I felt this was appropriate. https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1852153405/image.jpg

10. wheatnoil says:

Marcus Oilerius:
    I just found out it’s 69 days until puck drop.I felt this was appropriate.https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1852153405/image.jpg

I feel like I shouldn’t click that link.

11. Marcus Oilerius says:

wheatnoil: I feel like I shouldn’t click that link.

I never post anything unsafe, unless it’s tits, in which case, if it’s unsafe, either your boss or your wife are terrible people and I’m doing you a favor. In this case, not even tits.

12. Deadman Waiting says:

Marcus Oilerius:

The problem with marking links as “NSFW” is that it makes an end-run around human judgement on the receiving side, and promotes a race to the bottom where the most fragile person with the least amount of discretion is wagging the fixed dog (guard your kidneys with bared fangs, Lassie).

Unfortunately, there doesn’t seem to be a better solution. One man’s stoic prurient satire is another man’s prolix satirical prurience.

13. Marcus Oilerius says:

Deadman Waiting,

Wow, you put a lot more thought into it than I ever did.

I was just making a joke. I never post NSFW links, because this is a SFW site, and if I post something risque, it’s going to be no more edgy than one of LT’s girls.

14. Deadman Waiting says:

I just had a stray thought about Willis’s article on Cult this morning.

The trade that brought Kale Kessy to the Edmonton Oilers was a bad one, but he’s still developing on the farm

It’s unfair to Kale Kessy, who didn’t engineer the trade, but it seems obvious that his progression is always going to be compared to Tobias Rieder, the prospect that the Edmonton Oilers moved to Arizona in order to acquire Kessy’s rights.

That’s like trading big tits for wide hips. The male mind reels. What’s the point of surviving childbirth if you can’t properly feed ‘em?

15. Cameron says:

Deadman Waiting,

+1 for the use of ‘prolix’

16. Bruce McCurdy says:

Deadman Waiting: One man’s stoic prurient satire is another man’s prolix satirical prurience.

Haha, that’s brilliant.

Cameron:
    Deadman Waiting,

+1 for the use of ‘prolix’

Ironic that DMW used it in one of his shortest comments on record!

I for one am definitely prolix, especially when the discussion turns to ice cream or Scarlet Johansson.

17. russ99 says:

I really wondered why the Oilers brought back Miller, as his roster spot could have been used for an AHL veteran playmaker that the system needs.

I’m also a bit dismayed at our “Training Camp Hopefuls’ this year, would like to see more talent there, and also in OKC.