TRAINING CAMP HOPEFUL NO. 3: BOGDAN YAKIMOV

Bogdan Yakimov may not speak English well, but he manages to get his point across. In an Edmonton Journal article earlier this summer, Joanne Ireland quotes the young prospect about the NHL and how much he wants to make the world’s best league:

• Yakimov: “Last year, I played in the pro league and I think I can play. I need more work, but after development camp, I will stay in Edmonton. In my head? One thought. NHL. NHL. NHL. So no problem if they say eat this, do that, I do it. No problem.” Source

BOGDAN YAKIMOV RE 14-15 PREVIEW

PPG NAME GP G A PTS
.703 BOGDAN YAKIMOV OKC RE 14-15 64 22 23 45
.000 BOGDAN YAKIMOV OILERS RE 14-15 2 0 0 0

COREY PRONMAN: #73 OVERALL

• Yakimov had a decent season playing in the second-tier Russian pro league, and he was a final cut from the Russian World Junior squad. He is a big center, measuring in at about 6’5″. He may not have the top-end tools of a typical top Russian prospect, but he is talented and he plays a good power game. His hands are above average, and while he can certainly make some moves and carry the puck into the opposing zone, he is not an overly creative forward. He also has pretty good hockey sense, as he makes quick decisions, sees the ice well, and positions himself effectively. As mentioned, he is a big body player, but he could use some more muscle to fill out and make the most of his frame. Still, he is effective when protecting the puck on the boards, and he will drive the net, making use of his physical assets. His main issue is his skating, as it is below average. His top speed and his first few steps are subpar, and while has shown some improvement, he must continue to progress in that area.
  • Yakimov: “I’m extremely happy, because I’ve been waiting to be selected. I was already at the edge of my nerves, so this was a huge relief to be selected by anybody, particularly by the Edmonton Oilers. In Nizhnekamsk, the most favourite team of anybody is Edmonton Oilers, because Nail Yakupov is from the same town.”

The Edmonton Oilers went to the entry draft in search of a specific player type. A man who could play a physical game while playing a complementary role on a skill line. They traded down at #37 in order to add bullets to the collection. They traded Zykov for more chances at a Wayne Cashman type—a complementary player who can deliver enough offensively to play with skill. Bogdan Yakimov clearly gained the confidence of Edmonton’s management, as one year after he was selected he is signed and heading to camp. That my friends, is called the fast track.

1. Could he make the Oilers opening night? Very very small chance of that happening. Leon Draisaitl is going to get a long, long look—suspect he wins a job in Edmonton, with Yakimov playing in OKC for most of the season.
  2. The AHL projection suggests he’ll be successful. If Yakimov posts those numbers, he’ll be the most successful 20-year old forward in Barons history offensively. His ppg will trail Magnus Paajarvi, but as you’ll recall the Swede had an NHL season at 19, so it’s not a fair comparison.
  3. What is the best thing about him? Yakimov was successful last season in the KHL—that’s a strong league. Six even-strength goals in 33 games, and less than 10 minutes a night. His points-per-60 in the KHL is about 2.20, mostly at evens. That looks pretty good. Teemu Hartikainen’s point-per-60 in the KHL last season was 2.34, and we know Harski could post offense in the AHL.
  4. Will the Barons play him at center? Hard to know. Yakimov did take 76 faceoffs in the KHL regular season a year ago, winning 58.3% of them. On the other hand, he was taking about 2.5 faceoffs a game, so he wasn’t doing a ton of it.
  5. What was that crazy trade again? Ready? It’s a long one. The Oilers traded No. 37 overall (Valentin Zykov) and ended up with (ahem) No. 83 overall (Bogdan Yakimov), No. 88 overall (Anton Slepyshev), No. 94 overall Jackson Houck, No. 96 overall Kyle Platzer and No. 113 overall Aidan Muir. I wrote about it here.
  6. Is Yakimov the key from the Oilers side? Yes, Yakimov and Jackson Houck. Houck enjoyed a strong season (after a slow start) in the WHL and could help the trade, but the Russian improved season over season and should be considered the big item in the deal.

41 Responses to "TRAINING CAMP HOPEFUL NO. 3: BOGDAN YAKIMOV"

1. Pouzar says:

I love BOh-Dan and JJ unconditionally. That is all.

2. striatic says:

This guy is such an interesting prospect, maybe the most interesting in the system.

He’s KHL numbers were *outstanding* for a player his age and made even more outstanding by the limited minutes he accomplished them in.

Explosive start to his season where he was keeping up with Kovalchuk through the first 10 games with about half the playing time. Clearly he was going to regress, and he did, but he continued to put up stats beyond a reasonable expectation given where he was taken in the draft.

He’s already played very well against men, and is more AHL ready than any Oilers prospect we’ve seen in a long time. Hope he knocks it out of the park.

Have to think his heart sunk a little bit when the Oilers drafted Draisaitl though. Seem to fit a similar role in terms of size, position and playing style. The competition between these two players should make TC that much more interesting.

3. soup says:

Instantly becomes one of my favorites based on the EJ quote alone.

“They want me to eat this, do that – no problem!”

Love it!

4. sliderule says:

From the clips at development camp I thought his skating was a whole lot better.

He is a big guy and they tend to run out of gas so training in Edmonton might help him.

The Khl stats with limited ice time gives us hope.

5. Yak2 says:

Future Oilers center depth

1. RNH
    2. Draisaitl
    3. Yakimov

Diiiiirrrrrty!

6. Frank The Dog says:

sliderule:

The Khl stats with limited ice time gives us hope.

Big people often don’t look fast until you see them in a race. There was a girl on our kids basketball team that did not look fast at all, but when they did auditions on a AAA team addition where two girls would race the length of the court and back while bouncing a basketball, the slow looking big girl was the fastest on the team.

There’s “seen him slow” and “slow”. the two are quite different. Let’s see how he goes in TC. I’m also keen to see how Yak1 and his new buddy Drai perform speed wise.

Hopefully we wont be beat by AHL leftover teams in the pre-season like last year either. At least we got Gazdic out of one of those games, which was when I first thought that this new wundercoach may have a job on his hands.

I am hoping last season represents the nadir of this team’s history.

7. Melman says:

I’m not sure if the 3 year extension to Nelson got the recognition it deserved. Very happy that Big Yak and JJ will be under his tutelage. I think we’ll get at least 1 helpful player out of the 2 and that in itself will be a solid single. How kickass would it be if one of them spent 3 years turning into Hanzal.

8. bendelson says:

Frank The Dog:

Did this line give anyone else a foreboding sense of deja-vu?

9. Frank The Dog says:

bendelson: Did this line give anyone else a foreboding sense of deja-vu?

I never saw those clips. Ask Sliderule :)

10. bendelson says:

Sliderule – my apologies for attributing the line to the dog named Frank.

11. barry.moore23 says:

I have this terrible feeling Nige is just frail to play in the NHL. Yeah he’s young, but gord I’m afraid he’s gonna get pulverized before he has a chance to make it. Someone please tell me it’s going to be OK. Do his genetics tell us he’s going to put on some weight. Ugh. Thanks for listening.

barry.moore23:
    I havethis terrible feeling Nige is just frail to play in the NHL. Yeah he’s young, but gord I’m afraid he’s gonna get pulverized before he has a chance to make it. Someone please tell me it’s going to be OK. Dohis genetics tell us he’s going to put on some weight. Ugh. Thanks for listening.

Nuge? You’re wondering if Nuge is going to “make it”?

13. Lois Lowe says:

Melman,

What forward prospects has Nelson graduated to the NHL? I’m not saying he’s a bad coach, but his track record isn’t spectacular.

Lois Lowe:
    Melman,

15. leadfarmer says:

While the KHL is a very good league, the transition for a player from the bigger ice to the smaller ice especially for one that has always played on the larger ice plus the difficulty in being in a vastly different culture is quite large . I am expecting him to struggle next year, which is understandable. He will rebound the following year, but I think next year will be a hard one for him.

16. justDOit says:

barry.moore23:

Well Pivel seems to have survived the rigors of the NHL, despite being 190 lbs or so. I wonder if the whole ‘being good at hockey’ thing has something to do with it?

17. cabbiesmacker says:

Lois Lowe:
    Melman,

Based on the Oilers talent at prospect forward what do you think the number should be? I’d say Nelson’s a damn good coach considering what he’s had to work with which is basically right next to SFA.

How would you rate his performance at prepping D prospects where the Oilers have actually drafted decently? Better? Amazing.

Nelson’s a good coach, not a miracle worker but back atcha with, “How many hockey players period did Dallas Eakins progress to the bigs from the Marlies?”

18. wheatnoil says:

cabbiesmacker:

I don’t disagree with your overall comment… but Nazem Kadri says ‘hi’

19. Pouzar says:

Nuge HAS made it…now to make the rest of the NHL his ***** #drinkin

20. justDOit says:

Melman:
    I’m not sure if the 3 year extension to Nelson got the recognition it deserved…

I must have missed that deal with Nelson, but I’m glad that he’s going to continue running the development program in OKC.

And if the worst case scenario plays out for Eakins, then a Nelson/Ramsay duo won’t disrupt my sleep cycle a bit – although if it comes to firing another coach, I want Lowe behind the bench for the rest of the season. Just because.

21. striatic says:

cabbiesmacker,

Nelson is pretty much impossible to judge a failure right now, due to the weird situation he has been in with regard to not having any first round prospects to work with in an actual AHL development situation – with the exception of Klefbom and a handful of games for Nurse.

Defence takes longer to develop and Nurse and Klefbom are recent picks and on track. Has working with Nelson improved the later round picks? Lander has become a very capable AHL player to the point where people are seriously re-evaluate his NHL potential. Arcobello looks like he might get a full season this year and he’s a Nelson product.

Evaluating Nelson based on number of NHL grads over the past three years is unfair when he’s had three 1st round bullets bypass him immediately to the NHL. Need to find some other criteria to evaluate him, which takes into account the lack of 1st round talent he’s had to work with compared to the majority of other AHL coaches.

22. Manitoba Oilers says:

6. Is Slepyshev not a key?

23. justDOit says:

Manitoba Oilers:
    6. Is Slepyshev not a key?

I thought the same thing, but maybe because he’s a slight built, scoring winger, he wasn’t thought of as a key in the ‘trade and draft’ scenario? Maybe he’ll be the sleeper pick, or Sleepershev?

24. FastOil says:

Big ice favours faster player because speed more important than strength

Small ice favours stronger player because strength more important than speed

If Yak 2 can produce on big ice and likes contact he should transition well to smaller ice. He may need to add strength (like Marincin and Gernat) but at his height if you can’t add some weight you’re not trying hard enough. Even a few percent muscle mass gain will add 5-10 lbs I would imagine on a frame like that no problem.

Hope he makes it soon, give Yak 1 a homer.

Manitoba Oilers:
    6. Is Slepyshev not a key?

26. Manitoba Oilers says:

Lowetide: He could be, but like Muir and Platzer but he didn’t move the needle much this season and was an overager to begin with.

Looked outstanding in wjc though

27. FastOil says:

The only question about any prospect outside of terrific offense is if whether they have the right cut of jib physically for MacTavish’s Oilers.

Or maybe it’s a Lowe thing, but mark this: they will all start to have a certain look soon enough, as they did when MacT was coach. Sorry all, couldn’t keep it to myself any longer. As the camera pans the bench, there will be growing homogeny. Look for it.

Probably like the thing LT mentioned once about scouts looking at a baseball player’s girlfriend – not special girl, guy has no confidence.

28. Halfwise says:

FastOil:

29. Ryan says:

FastOil:

We’re all hoping that Mact is the Billy Beane of the Nhl…. We wait….

30. Ryan says:

Okay boys, was going to wait for a more opportune time to drop this idea…

I’d like to see if there was a filter for Corsi / fenwick / Corsi close / fenwick close as a team stat vs playoff teams only.

The idea for this came from an Erik Tulsky article about the “Corsi kings.”

As an oiler fan, we know that the LA Kings padded their Corsi to the tune of 100 shots or so vs the oilers in four games.

Wouldn’t you like to be able to filter the Kings Corsi stat against other teams that made the playoffs last season?

Please and thank you extraskater…

31. cabbiesmacker says:

wheatnoil: I don’t disagree with your overall comment… but Nazem Kadri says ‘hi’

I guess I could say “how did Nelson do with Hall, Nuge, Eberle and Schultz using those rules.

If memory serves Klefbom on D is the highest pick Todd Nelson’s had to work with to date and it’d be unfair to judge based on that limited sample but…Klef and Marincin didn’t look too out of place by the time they got a little pro time. Yay Nelson.

32. wheatnoil says:

cabbiesmacker: Kadri says Hi from a first round 7th overall position and had already played 30 NHL games by the time he hit the Marlies. How many of those has Nelson had to work with? Pretty unfair comparison I think.

Magnus Paajarvi says “Hi”

Again, I don’t actually disagree with your argument. I think you make a lot of valid points and I actually quite like the work Nelson has done. I think he’s a key component to the development process and if you compare him to the results before, I think he’s done pretty well. I’m particularly impressed with the D development, but I think Arcobello has done well with him and Lander had improved too. I think Hartikainen had something more to give at the NHL level.

I think your argument became weaker by trying to then imply Eakins is a worse developmental coach at the AHL level. Eakins did some pretty reasonable and, in fact, comparable things with the Marlies. That doesn’t have anything to do with Nelson’s coaching and developmental ability.

33. nycoil says:

Who is that filthy moustache Yakimov is chasing, and why haven’t we drafted it?

That aside, if one or both of Yakimov and Khaira pan out as a big, two-way 3C as well in the future, that is going to go a very long way to making Oiler fandom tolerable once again.

34. striatic says:

Halfwise: Anson Carter, Mike Grier, Sean Brown, Theo Peckham, Mark Fraser and Grant Fuhr say “Hi”. Oh, and Janni Niiniimaa and Jarri Kurri.

Pretty sure Fastoil wasn’t talking about racial homogeny.

There are other kinds of physical homogeny.

35. wheatnoil says:

nycoil:

If Yakimov can improve his footspeed to something approaching average… well he might bring enough to be a solid 3rd offensive line option. Nuge, Drai, and Yakimov down the middle would allow the Oilers to have a lot of different looks offensively.

36. Hammers says:

Lowetide: It’s important to remember what we’re looking for here. Daniel Cleary, Fernando Pisani, Jason Chimera—those are the successes. Nelson has been sending players north, but the first group (Hartikainen, McDonald others) is now complete. The second group (Arcobello, Pitlick) arrives now.

So meaningless unless they perform . Lois has a point .

wheatnoil: The problem with Khaira is going to be his offence. His best NHL-E over the last 3 seasons (in 3 different leagues) was 23 points (which was in his NCAA season I believe). Yakimov matched that playing less than 10 minutes a night in the KHL. Khaira’s going to have to take a step forward in the AHL in order to be a legitimate top 9 threat.

Ideally, you’d like it to be a center who remains a center.

38. nycoil says:

Lowetide: That’s how I see it, too. It’s fun to think about all these prospects, but they disappear in a hurry as history tells us. There’s very little chance that all of Yakimov, Khaira and Moroz turn into NHL players. In fact, since they’re all second and third round picks, chances are only one turns into a 200 game NHL player.

Ideally, you’d like it to be a center who remains a center.

Oh I agree with you both. I am a massive skeptic of these guys, Khaira not enough offence I couldn’t agree more. I still thinfk he was a reach pick, but would love to be proven wrong.

As for Yakimov, Slepyshev and co, just need one of them to be better than Zykov. The example of Zharkov makes me hesitant to get excited too early.

39. haters says:

Haters says hi

40. Ca$h-Money! says:

Didn’t look at the picture too closely the first time. I’m saddened to learn that Yak2 isn’t the guy with the absolutely filthy mustache.

Our team clearly needs more of that pervy’ gumption.

41. Braden88 says:

Yakimov was very impressive from what i saw of the world juniors. he brought alot of energy and showed plenty of skill, making and taking passes, and his board play was good too. Could just be a saw him good scenario, but non the less i think this kid has the pedigree to make it! but we thought the same thing before MPS went to OKC. i hope Yakimov can adjust to the smaller ice surface. But with a frame like his, i’m hopeful