WHO WON THE 2014 DRAFT?

If you enter the draft with five picks in the top 100, you should walk away with five of the highest-ranked picks in the top 100. Agree? Are we now at a point where we can agree on this? Risk averse in the top 100 is a bad way to go. Right?

Here’s a team-by-team rundown of Craig Button’s top 100. Picks are listed with their selection number (not Button’s ranking). Teams are also listed with the number of picks inside the top 100 (so if you have three picks, there should be three names). NOTE: This is about the top 100 ONLY, we’ll look at No. 100+ later.

• Anaheim (3): L Nick Ritchie (#10); D Marcus Pettersson (#38); R Ondrej Kase (#205). Chose unranked D Brandon Montour inside the top 100, but he was well enough known that I had him so that’s not walkabout. They also drafted Kase well outside the top 100. On the other hand, Ritchie at No. 10 is good not great value, so I’m going to give them a B+
  • Arizona (4): L Brendan Perlini (#12); C Ryan MacInnis (#43); L Christian Dvorak (#58); L Anton Karlsson (#87); L Michael Bunting (#117). Arizona ended up with five of Button’s top 100 selections, and they added Dysin Mayo and Edgars Kulda. That’s a lot of value, even if their first-round selection (Perlini) doesn’t have the kind of offensive potential you’d like from a top 15 pick based on his EV scoring. I’m giving them an B.
  • Boston (2): L David Pastrnak (#25); C Ryan Donato (#56); D Emil Johansson (#206). Bruins got an extra selection and did well in value with their first round selection. Difficult to fault them, although Donato is a long-range prospect. C+
  • Buffalo (6): C Sam Reinhart (#2); L Brendan Lemieux (#31); C Eric Cornel (44); L Vaclav Karabacek (#49); D Brycen Martin (#74). The Sabres got excellent value with their No. 2 overall pick, and landed five of Button’s top 100. The extra pick was spend on a solid goalie prospect Jonas Johansson, but I’m not sure Brendan Lemieux will cover his number. Based on all those picks, good not great value. B+
  • Calgary (4): C Sam Bennett (#4); G Mason McDonald (#34); R Hunter Smith (#54); D Brandon Hickey (#64); D Adam O. Mattsson (#175). The Flames plucked my No. 1 overall pick at fourth overall, and grabbed five of Button’s top 100. On the other hand, they chose a goalie very high, and  Smith is a late bloomer and they took him in the second round. Hickey and Mattsson are long-term investments, not sure it’s wise to draft Hickey so high. A
  • Carolina (5): D Haydn Fleury (#7); G Alex Nedeljkovic (#37); L Warren Foegele (#67);  R Lucas Wallmark (#97); D Kyle Jenkins (#187). The Hurricanes took Fleury very early (I had him No. 16) and history tells us some of the forwards they passed up will overperform the blue. A high goalie pick, but they received nice value in the middle rounds. The big worry is the forwards missed in Round 1. C
  • Chicago (4): C Nick Schmaltz (#20); R Jack Ramsey (#208). It was a strange draft when filtered through Button’s list, and I thought the first round pick was a little wonky. That said, Beau Starrett, Luc Snuggerud and Matteson Iacopelli were all well known players and should give value. C
  • Colorado (3): C Conner Bleackley (#23); C Nick Magyar (#93); L Julien Nantel (#204). The Avalanche got nice value in round one, and then pick two more Button men along the way. They chose Kyle Wood in the top 100, he’s big and strong and doesn’t score much. C-
  • Columbus (4): C Sonny Milano (#16); D Ryan Collins (#47); D Olivier Leblanc (#197). The Blue Jackets took Sonny Milano quite early, and were off the board by pick No. 75. It could work out, but if this was the Oilers draft there would be much derision. D
  • Dallas (3): D Julius Honka (#14); L Brett Pollock (#45); D Alex Peters (#75); D Michael Prapavessis (#105). The Stars took Honka too high, and I loved Honka. Good value in Pollock, and a total of 4 in Button’s top 100. I’m not high on Peters, but overall this was a decent draft. B-
  • Detroit (2): L Dylan Larkin (#15); C Dominic Turgeon  (#63); C Axel Holmstrom (#196). A little high on Larkin and Turgeon is a reach, but then again they got a Swede in Button’s top 100 and they got him around 200. Suspect he’ll raise the cup in 2022. C
  • Edmonton (2): Leon Draisaitl (#3); D William Lagesson (#91). Value on both picks, I had Draisaitl No. 3 and Lagesson No. 77. The Oilers also grabbed Nagelvoort, who wasn’t on Button’s list but made mine at No. 91. No walkabout picks in the top 100 again, good sign. B+
  • Florida (4): D Aaron Ekblad (#1); C Jayce Hawryluk (#32); L Juho Lammikko (#65). They got the No. 1 overall pick, so let’s be real that’s a home run lottery evening. Good not great value elsewhere. B+
  • Los Angeles (4): L Adrian Kempe (#29); D Roland McKeown (#50); L Spencer Watson (#209). A wonderful draft, but a crazy one. The Kings selected defender Alex Lintuniemi at No. 60 and I don’t remember reading about him at all. On the other hand, they took Watson and Jacob Middleton right at the end of the draft to win the day. A
  • Minnesota (2): R Alex Tuch (#18); C Reid Duke (#169); C Pavel Jenys (#199). The Wild received good value in the first round and two late picks made Button’s list. I liked their selection of Finnish goalie Kaapo Kahkonen. C+
  • Montreal (2): L Nikita Scherbak (#26); C Daniel Audette (#147). The Canadiens are poetry at the draft table, and hit a monster home run in round one. Button had Audette inside the top 100, like that pick too. Brett Lernout was a bit of a reach, but the Habs are good. B+
  • Nashville (4): C Kevin Fiala (#11); C Vladislav Kamenev (#42); D Jack Dougherty (#51); L Justin Kirkland (#62). This was a stunning draft. Fiala landed at No. 7 on my list, Kamenev No. 20. Add in Kirkland and Dougherty and that IS music. A+
  • New Jersey (3): C John Quenneville (#30); D Josh Jacobs (#41); R Connor Chatham (#71). A nice value draft, Quenneville took a late giant leap forward and the Devils got him at a good number. C
  • NY Islanders(4): L Michael Dal Colle (#5); C Josh Ho Sang (#28). Islanders got fine value with their two first-round picks, and I really like the goalie (Ilya Sorokin) they chose at No. 78 overall. B
  • NY Rangers (2): D Ryan Mantha (#104); R Richard Nejezchleb (#122). The Rangers didn’t have a first round selection but passed on a lot of talent when taking G Brandon Halverson at No. 59 overall. Keegan Iverson at No. 85 was fine, but NYR needed to get more with their early picks. F
  • Ottawa (3): D Miles Gendron (#70); D Kelly Summers (#189). I really like this draft, despite the lack of a first-round pick. NYR should pay attention to the Senators. I like Englund fine, and really like Perron, who they picked at No. 190. B-
  • Philadelphia (3): D Travis Sanheim (#17); C Nicolas Aube-Kubel (#48); W Oskar Lindblom (#138). They passed on some outstanding value to take Sanheim in the first round. I like their second-round pick, but the Flyers could have had so much more. D
  • Pittsburgh: L Kasperi Kapanen (#22). Penguins got nice value in the first round, and then (as with the Oilers) had to wait around for a long time. I do like their later pick Lindo. C-
  • San Jose (5): L Nikolay Goldobin (#27); D Julius Bergman (#46); C Rourke Chartier (#149). It’s weird, I wasn’t high on their first-round pick but LOVED the rest of their draft. Which means I’m probably wrong about Goldobin. Seriously, Bergman, Rod, Schoenborn, Sadowy, I love all these picks! A+
  • St. Louis (5): C Robby Fabbri (#21); C Ivan Barbashev (#33); C Maxim Letunov (#52); D Jake Walman (#82); G Ville Husso (#94); R Austin Poganski (#110); C Jaedon Descheneau (#124). A very exciting draft. I mean look at this! I had Fabbri No. 8 and Barbashev No. 12. A wonderful draft by a team that walloped the poor drafting teams over and over again. A+
  • Tampa Bay (4): D Anthony DeAngelo (#19); D Dominik Masin (35); C Brayden Point (#79). The Lightning picked a terrific offensive defender in round one, and got some nice value through the top 100.B-
  • Toronto (2): William Nylander (#8). The Leafs hit a homer in round one, and I like the Russian blue. B
  • Vancouver (4): L Jake Virtanen (#6); C Jared McCann (#24); G Thatcher Demko (#36); D Gustav Forsling (#126). First three picks were expert, the rest are a blur. We’ll see, but strong in the top 100 is historically the important accomplishment. A-
  • Washington: L Jakub Vrana (#13). A nice first-round pick, but trading up for an obscure pick? Noxious. Oilers fans know all about that, and it rarely works out well. I do like Vrana. D
  • Winnipeg (3): L Nikolaj Ehlers (#9); C Chase De Leo (#99). Winnipeg are an exciting team at the draft, which is a good thing because they don’t make any trades. Love the first-round pick, really like Jack Glover where they got him, De Leo too. Quality. B+

The best draft in 2014: St. Louis by my eye.

barbashev

By my count, the following players in Button’s top 100 weren’t taken at all in the draft:

• D Vladislav Gavrikov
  • R Reid Gardiner
  • C Alexandre Goulet
  • L Vladimir Tkachyov
  • L Daniel M. Bagenda
  • C Tyson Baillie

Now Button’s list isn’t like McKenzie’s, but that’s a lot of players who didn’t get chosen AT all in the entry draft. Here’s a list of players I projected in my top 100 who weren’t taken:

• (43) L Dexter Dancs
  • (49) L Vladimir Tkachev
  • (52) C Andrew Mangiapane
  • (62) L Kris Schmidli
  • (73) C Luke Philp
  • (78) D Gavin Bayreuther
  • (80) D Riley Stadel
  • (81) C Colby Cave
  • (82) C Reid Gardner
  • (90)L Blake Clark
  • (98) D Sebastian Aho

Button’s list and my list have Gardner and Tkachev, so even at that there’s little in common. This was one wide open draft. Here are the picks that made Button’s list but we chosen after 100:

• Michael Bunting
  • Jaedon Descheneau
  • Jack Ramsey
  • Daniel Audette
  • Austin Poganski
  • Nikita Lyamkin
  • Ryan Foss

This was an incredibly divided draft. I knew it was going to be a little wonky when Washington traded UP to get goalie Vitek Vanecek.

36 Responses to "WHO WON THE 2014 DRAFT?"

1. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“Which means I’m probably wrong about Goldobin.”

You are ;)

——–
    “Risk averse in the top 100 is a bad way to go. Right?”

good way?

2. Marcus Oilerius says:

Vladislav, not Vladimir Kamenev. I’m not being nitpicky, there’s actually a difference, and Vladislav is his name.

Also, I think you’re being rather soft on Edmonton (B+? In a draft where we don’t have picks in the 2nd and 3rd?) and Calgary (two goalies?!)

3. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I’m a little higher on the Islander and Tampa than you, but mostly I agree with this.

STL just killed it. awesome day for them.

4. sliderule says:

Other than the first rounders and some second rounders I have no idea how good the players are.

I can look at past drafts and Sharks ,Ducks ,Kings and Hawks make pretty good picks.

I can say with certainty that those teams draftees will do better than most.

But it’s all luck.

Right!

Marcus Oilerius:
    Vladislav, not Vladimir Kamenev.I’m not being nitpicky, there’s actually a difference, and Vladislav is his name.

Also, I think you’re being rather soft on Edmonton (B+?In a draft where we don’t have picks in the 2nd and 3rd?) and Calgary (two goalies?!)

We’ll look at picks No. 100+ later, but they didn’t go walkabout until No. 130. It’s really really hard to find fault with that performance.

Romulus Apotheosis:

STL just killed it. awesome day for them.

The Lightning chose a gifted but one dimensional guy in the first round, I nicked them a little for that, plus I’m mad at all these damn teams for letting Barbashev fall down to STL.

7. Marcus Oilerius says:

Lowetide: The Flames got Bennett at No. 4, I should have given them an A+ for that. As for EDM, they didn’t pass up value for either pick and selected a strong option at No. 3 overall. If I threw in Perron and Scrivens there’s an argument they WON the weekend.

As for the Flames, the one thing they did right is pick Bennett, but it’s so hard not picking the #1 ranked skater at the #4 spot that they should deserve almost no credit for it. Buffalo goofed with Reinhart, IMO (who should have gone 4th), and the Oilers chose size+skill over more speed+skill at #3. Don’t get me wrong, this isn’t Staal over Toews and Backstrom, but there’s a significant chance that we left considerable skill on the table. The Flames then went off the board quite early.

Marcus Oilerius: By that logic, it feels almost as if the Oilers should get a worse grade by allowing Bennett to fall to #4.

As for the Flames, the one thing they did right is pick Bennett, but it’s so hard not picking the #1 ranked skater at the #4 spot that they should deserve almost no credit for it.Buffalo goofed with Reinhart, IMO (who should have gone 4th), and the Oilers chose size+skill over more speed+skill at #3.Don’t get me wrong, this isn’t Staal over Toews and Backstrom, but there’s a significant chance that we left considerable skill on the table.The Flames then went off the board quite early.

9. Bar_Qu says:

Wow, did I ever nap hard today. I had no idea it was 2019 already! (I kid, I kid)

I too would have judged the Flames draft a little more harshly and don’t think the Bennett pick redeemed the other selections. Otoh, I didn’t realise that St Loo had done as well as it had. That is an organisation on the way to great things.

10. geowal says:

I would be inclined to punish the Islanders for trading up to draft a head case like Ho Sang. Taking him when available is one thing, but trading up is a bit off

11. Marcus Oilerius says:

Lowetide: Meh. Flames got three guys in McKenzie’s top 60. It gives me no pleasure giving them credit, but Calgary added some nice pieces.

They had 4 kicks at the can in the top 64, 5 in the top 90. NOT getting three guys in the top 60 would require a monumental effort.

I suppose if we’re judging by overall result, then yeah, the Flames got an A. But if we’re judging by potential result, B- seems more fair.

I’ll grant you Perron and Scrivens for the Oilers, though Barbashev could be someone we regret missing out on, in future years.

12. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: I’m a little worried about Dal Colle’s offense, and Ho-Sang is the reason! For the life of me I don’t know the reason for the gap. DC’s numbers via that new fangled Katsaros thingy got me a bit afraid of him.

You and I both had Dal Colle at 8. 5 is a touch high for him for sure. But he is very young (June 20th)

Otten noted his skating took a big leap and that he shielded the puck well

and Red Line said he “goes hard to the net at every opportunity… Wins puck battles along the boards and in front of the net”

hard to get upset about that. I preferred the ES scoring of a lot of undersized players to him, but when you combine him with Ho-Sang, I think they did really well.

With Tampa, I really liked the Point pick.

Watching Ivan slip was heartbreaking and nonsensical. I’d have happily taken him in the top 15.

13. Darrell says:

When are physicals and camp start ? I hope we are NOT ovewhelmed reading about bag skate and Mountain biking stories again. IMHO – this was a rookie coaches mistake as he sends out a letter warning players he thinks he is Herculies and expects the same.. If I a am vet or first over all my reaction is who the fuck do you think you are Rookie which is a bad start that steam rolled into a train wreck.

Darrell:
    When are physicals and camp start ?I hope we are NOT ovewhelmed reading about bag skate and Mountain biking stories again.IMHO – this was a rookie coaches mistake as he sends out a letter warning players he thinks he is Herculies and expects the same..If I a am vet or first over all my reaction is who the fuck do you think you are Rookie which is a bad start that steam rolled into a train wreck.

15. PeOiler says:

I see Alexandre Goulet has been invited to the Montreal training camp. Is there an age restriction for signing the undrafted kids?

PeOiler:
    I see Alexandre Goulet has been invited to the Montreal training camp.Is there an age restriction for signingthe undrafted kids?

They’re draft eligible until 20, then they’re free to sign elsewhere.

17. flyfish1168 says:

Sorry topic change but I found this interesting on flamenation and what ryan pike thinks of our moves so far.

Romulus Apotheosis:

STL just killed it. awesome day for them.

Yes, STL owned souls.

They have a very good draft history, Kekelainen was one of the best.

People who’s draft kung fu is very powerful had Barbashev in the top 10.

Killed it.

Good example of them killing it in the past is Jori Lehtera signing this year.

Drafted 3rd round in 2008 at #65 overall.

Comes over this year as a 5 year pro at 26 having scored 44pts in 48 KHL games last year.

Value like that is almost priceless.

Of course if Stu drafted Jori he would have been called a bust for 4 years now.

19. jake70 says:

Lowetide: Agreed. Expos had a manager who did that, lasted like a snowflake in a hot place. Runnels?

At least Eakins didn’t show up to camp looking like Stormin Norman Schwarzkopf.

20. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: Yes, STL owned souls.

They have a very good draft history, Kekelainen was one of the best.

People who’s draft kung fu is very powerful had Barbashev in the top 10.

Killed it.

Good example of them killing it in the past is Jori Lehtera signing this year.

Drafted 3rd round in 2008 at #65 overall.

Value like that is almost priceless.

Of course if Stu drafted Jori he would have been called a bust for 4 years now.

One day I hope to have a powerful kung fu in any discipline… I’d even take “palate for mustards”

I wonder if Tarasenko helped with Lehtera. Both incubated in the K for a long time and came over late (Lehtera much later obviously). Is that planned all along? can’t be right? has to be an ad hoc process.

At any rate, with the rights lasting forever (nearly) on euro picks, it’s an interesting gamble.

Stock Watch. Slide warning. Oiler warning. It’s better, but it’s not there.

22. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Stock Watch. Slide warning. Oiler warning. It’s better, but it’s not there.

“the Sharks have decided to overcome playoff disappointment by winning fewer games.”

couldn’t have said it better. perfect.

what’s worse… watching a terrible team sputter for years as it tries and fails and fails and fails and slowly inches towards success…

or watching a phenomenal team dominate for year and years but for luck only to self-immolate senselessly and look deep into a sharp, stupid decline

23. RexLibris says:

flyfish1168:

24. Romulus Apotheosis says:

this part?

Edmonton [10 points behind]: Added Keith Aulie, Benoit Pouliot & Mark Fayne. And lost Sam Gagner. I have no idea how they finished so far behind Calgary with their roster, and I don’t know why I think they’ll be about as good next season. On-paper, they’re probably a little bit worse than last year.

pretty thin assessment and I’m not really sure how he manages to get to that conclusion. he doesn’t even bother to rationalize it, he just asserts it.

25. Zangetsu says:

That first sentence is kinda wonky, but I think I get what you meant. I don’t love the oilers draft, but when you throw in scrivens and perron, it makes more sense.

26. nycoil says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Rom, posted this the other day but not sure you saw this re: Barbashev

Many pointing to Lehtera as replacement for Sobotka. Personally I would have kept both but St Louis is still very good for now and the future.

27. Frank The Dog says:

Based on the 5 year principle there has to be a formula we can apply to the 2008 draft to gauge who won the draft, combining their dradt position with their performance to come up with some kind of collective rating per team?

I cant right now, too much work on my plate tonight, but it would be a good read for sure.

28. raventalon40 says:

The games against the Coyotes just became a lot more interesting! The Hall-Hanzal-Michalek, Gagner-Purcell, Dubnyk-Scrivens-Fasth storylines writes themselves!

Now all we have to do is sign Mike Ribeiro… (I swear I am an Arcobello fan…)

29. rickithebear says:

nycoil: Many pointing to Lehtera as replacement for Sobotka.

Lehera was 44 gm 6evg 5PPg 1 SHG 32A 19:31 61% FO%
    Convert to 33 gm
    Lehtera 33 gm 5EVG 3PPG 22A 19:31
    convert to 9:55
    Lehtera 25yr 33gm 3EVG 1PPG 11A 15P 9:55 61 FO%
    Yakimov 18yr 33gm 6EVG 1 PPG 5EVA 12P 9:55 59% FO%

Replacement for Sobotka hey!

30. flyfish1168 says:

RexLibris: Ryan’s estimates were pretty roundly discussed in the comments. Most felt that the Oilers’ changes were being underestimated and that the narrow scope ignored the totality of the moves. It is a fair assessment, though, to suggest that the Oilers will have to prove that they are better than the Flames, because they haven’t been in a very very long time. My take on it was that I believe the Flames will finish approximately where they were last year, drafting somewhere between 3rd and 5th overall but also that I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if they managed somehow to finish a bit better. I think the Oilers could find themselves in a three-way dogfight with the Coyotes and Canucks in the standings, but ultimately none of it may matter in the wildcard race.

Thanks for your reply. I hope your correct.

I hope Purcell has a bounce back year from last , Pouliot proves to everyone he has a higher level of play with a longer term contract and Fayne can play without Greene. These three items can dispell pyke’s idea that we didn’t improve.

31. limit says:

By the way, Mangiapane the ExtraSkater superstar is also a YouTube superstar on NHL 14 GM Mode, check it out (99 shot)!

32. nycoil says:

rickithebear,

I didn’t say I agreed with it. I am referring to the Blues bloggers and media. They’re not happy about Armstrong letting Sobotka go over a take it or leave it $300k difference either.

33. rickithebear says:

nycoil:
    rickithebear,

Not an attack.

Just simple math.

Reference for all those who say,

We should get him!

It allways comes down to Comp; Team; and ZS.

34. rickithebear says:

CF%; SF%; GF% should be conveyed as +/- GF; +/- SF; +/- GF
    cause not all 55% are the same!

.645 @ 55% is +.118
    1.015 @ 55% is +.170

35. Bruce McCurdy says:

Lowetide: They’re draft eligible until 20, then they’re free to sign elsewhere.

He was eligible for the 2008 NHL Entry Draft but went undrafted.[2] Offered a try-out with the Los Angeles Kings, Jones impressed team scouts at Los Angeles’ rookie camp, and following a strong showing at their main camp, the team signed him to a three-year contract before reassigning him back to the Hitmen.

Bruce McCurdy: My understanding is they’re free to sign anywhere after they have passed through a draft. Happens, but very rarely, for a walk-on who impresses enough at camp for a team to offer him a contract. Case in point, Martin Jones. From his Wikipedia page.

Huh. Did not know that. Thanks, Bruce.