WHY FOR ARE THEY TRADING PETRY?

I had to zip down to Red Deer this afternoon, and on the way back caught Jason Gregor and Ryan Rishaug talking Oilers. I don’t have the exact words (never drive and write on foolscap at the same time) but it sure sounded like negotiations are interesting and Petry’s time in Edmonton may be ending. That’s my reading over the conversation, I was also listening to my wife so Rishaug may have said “I bet no one watered the plants while I was away and they’re all dead—you never pay attention to anything” but somewhere in there all the words above reached my ears.

POSSIBLE REASONS FOR TRADING JEFF PETRY

1. PK Subban offer sheet
    2. Johnny Boychuk fits the Oiler way more than Petry
    3. Petry is asking for a bunch of money in contract negotiations

Trading Petry and bringing  a forward back in the same trade is a sticky wicket. The depth chart would look something like this sans Petry or replacement:

LEFT DEFENSE RIGHT DEFENSE
MARTIN MARINCIN MARK FAYNE
NIKITA NIKITIN JUSTIN SCHULTZ (RFA)
ANDREW FERENCE OSCAR KLEFBOM
KEITH AULIE

And that’s less than 24 hours of enjoying that defensive depth chart that resembled a real one. Lordy. Chances are the club trades Petry for Boychuk, though. I don’t have inside info but Rishaug’s comments married to Friedman’s tweets suggest there’s something MacT has in his laptop and that he’s waiting to hit send.

This is turning into something resembling a “settle all family business” summer.

CENTER!!!!

A number of centermen are off the market now, Mikhail Grabovski and Vern Fiddler signing this afternoon. David Legwand is still out there, Derek Roy? Probably not. Can the Oilers get Couturier out of Philly? Berglund out of St. Louis? Eakin out of Dallas?

This looks like a trade to me. 2016 1st rd pick and the defensive prospects are likely in play, and, incredibly, Jeff Petry.

179 Responses to "WHY FOR ARE THEY TRADING PETRY?"

1. LadiesloveSmid says:

I wonder if Nikitin’s contract has Petry asking for 4.5-5M and EDM won’t bite.

2. Gerta Rauss says:

I mentioned this in yesterdays thread(s)

Do the Oilers view Fayne and Petry as similar players..? Are they similar player types..? At first glance, they certainly share some similarities.

Did the Oilers give Petry’s contract to Mark Fayne..?

Petry for Boychuk would be a disaster-with the Bruins hard against the cap and an expiring contract in Boychuk, a pick or prospect is market value. 4 years of Josh Gorges returned a 2nd round pick yesterday.

A pick/prospect(Gernat) for Boychuk, then trade Petry for a C that is higher up the food chain than David Legwand. I could get behind that, and I’m a huge Petry fan.

No way I move Petry unless another RH D comes back in another deal.

If a trade like that is not out there, fine, sign Petry and Legwand and let’s head to training camp.

3. misfit says:

No reason at all to trade Petry. I like Fayne as much as the next guy, but Petry is still this team’s best defenseman. And a team who’s had a bottom 5 defense for years should not be trading away their best D-man.

4. speeds says:

Maybe the Oilers are trying to negotiate a long term deal, and are curious how his value compares to the number they think it would take? Or maybe they have some reason to think that his name being available in trade talks does something to help their negotiating position for a long term deal?

Don’t forget Bob talking about trading a Dman now after Fayne signed.

He using he “in the know voice”

I’d just like to point out I said this July 1st at 8:47am:

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 3m
    If the #Oilers do land Mark Fayne who is a right shot could set off a domino effect with another Oilers D being in play…

Bob’s bringing up my guess as to why Petry rumours started. Fayne might be in the bag.
    Gotta trade Petry then because you can’t have 3 NHL caliber RHD right?

Right?

I’m like freaking Nostradamus right?

7. Rondo says:

Petry is coming into his prime over the next couple of years. Boychuk is passing his prime. I guess Edmonton would have to weigh this in making a deal.

8. Dicky94 says:

What about Green and Johansson in Washington. Petry and next years first get you that?

speeds:
    Maybe the Oilers are trying to negotiate a long term deal, and are curious how his value compares to the number they think it would take?Or maybe they have some reason to think that his name being available in trade talks does something to help their negotiating position for a long term deal?

Great points.

Woodguy:
    I’d just like to point out I said this July 1st at 8:47am:

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 3m

Gotta trade Petry then because you can’t have 3 NHL caliber RHD right?

Right?

I’m like freaking Nostradamus right?

We still like you, rain cloud. :-)

After Legwand, I think we’re talking trade and that’s Petry, the prospect blue and draft picks.

11. supernova says:

contract Demands could be Higher than expected because he feels under appreciated.
    He knows he isn’t in the main core and plays the toughest competition but takes a lot of flak.
    That combined with rarely winning probably weighs heavy.

Why not ask for more in a attempt to move out. Especially when your hometown team craves a RH , or you could ( or likely ) would be moved east.

Maybe if dealt you sign a reasonable deal. If I was his agent I would be using this Angle.

Would love to make a play for Alzner in Washington.

12. Gerta Rauss says:

Rondo:
    Petry is coming into his prime over the next couple of years.Boychuk is passing his prime.I guess Edmonton would have to weigh this in making a deal.

That’s an excellent point – Godot brought that up yesterday in our discussion

Mark Fayne is also entering his prime, and he currently has a contract with the Oilers

*edit-I just want to add, I’m not running Petry out of town, I love Petry. I can see how the OIlers may have reached this conclusion though

13. cabbiesmacker says:

If the Oilers trade Jeff Petry the only digestible reason would be if he’s asking for over the moon coin, and if they can give Nikitin $ 4.5 then Petry’s worth $5+ imo.

IF they do trade him please feel free to post a link to Springsteen’s “One Step Up and One Step Back” in perpetuity..

If however he and Yakupov can land a real C, maybe a flip flop with Nuge at #1 type then by all means do it and throw Klefbom to the wolves.

14. G Money says:

Sigh.

Adding Boychuk for Petry undoes much of the confidence-building use of analytics in signing Fayne.

It also indicates MacT suffers from the Petry-Gilbert Tambo mindset of “hey, we’ve got a new one of those, I can trade the old one now.” Because apparently five *is* too many NHL-quality defensemen to have (I’m excluding either Ference or Jultz, not sure which as yet).

MacT pleasantly surprised us with his savvy the last couple of weeks.

Let’s hope he does it again, rather than reverting to some sort of Tambo-mean.

Can the Oilers get Couturier out of Philly?

Wil Fraser makes me want to set fire the radio, but I listen on the way to work because I’m an Oiler’s junkie and a masochist (same thing really) . Drive to work is about 20min, way more than enough.

That being said he mentioned taking Lecav in order to buy him out and demand a C as payment.

He floated Yak for Schenn because he’s Wil Fraser, but its an intriguing idea.

If you are Ron Hextall (who just signed Nultz. Nick Praise The Lord Shultz), and Craig MacTavish calls you up and says:

CM: “You are going to trade me Couturier and Lecav and I am solving your Cap problems. Call Vinny and make sure he’s cool being bought out. He’s probably cool, he’s done it before. What do you want?”

Let’s assume the Holy Trinity of 4-93-14 are off the table (as they should be)

What do you ask for if you are Ron Hextall?

If you are Craig MacTavish, how high are you willing to go?

Gerta Rauss: That’s an excellent point – Godot brought that up yesterday in our discussion

Stop running Petry out of town.

*shakes fist at you*

17. G Money says:

Doesn’t trading Petry for a long-term 2C like Couturier solve a problem that’s already been solved two years from now, while creating a whole new problem that’s barely been solved in the here and now?

G Money:

I don’t think you get Couturier for Petry or even close.

Do you get him if for Petry if you buy out Lecav?

Do you have to take Luke Schenn too?

19. Rondo says:

Woodguy,

Still think Couturier is off the table, Florida probably would have taken him for the #1 pick but Phillly probably d/n offer.

20. coolwasabi says:

Eric Brewer, Doug Lynch and Jeff Woywitka were traded for Chris Pronger.

Do that Mact!

Cool: THREE FOR ONE!!!! YEAH BABY!!!! COME ON, JUST ONE TIME!!!! BABY NEEDS A NEW PAIR OF SHOES!!!! SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX!!!!!!! SHAKE IT SHAKE IT SHAKE IT!

22. Gerta Rauss says:

Woodguy: I don’t think you get Couturier for Petry or even close.

Do you get him if for Petry if you buy out Lecav?

Do you have to take Luke Schenn too?

Can you tell me if the compliance buyouts are done..?

I know there is a small window in August for buyouts if you take a player to arbitration, but last year the compliance buyouts were not eligible. Was that because of the compressed summer(lockout)…or can a team use a compliance buyout during the arb window..?

Anybody know…?

23. book¡je says:

What if it’s a three for one resulting in balance?

book¡je:

What if it’s a three for one resulting in balance?

I’ve been waiting for a three-for-one since forever. IF the Oilers could pull off a massive deal around one good NHL piece and two quality prospects (adding an impact D or C) then I’m all for it, have been forever.

25. Frank the dog says:

misfit: I’ll never understand why this team is so afraid to pay its own players and adverse to having actual depth.

I don’t think it’s either. More likely Petry wants out and pushed his price up accordingly.

26. cabbiesmacker says:

Woodguy:
    Can the Oilers get Couturier out of Philly?

Does Philly have cap issues with Pronger put back on LTIR?

27. cabbiesmacker says:

coolwasabi:
    Eric Brewer, Doug Lynch and Jeff Woywitka were traded for Chris Pronger.

Do that Mact!

28. Skim Tank says:

Couturier between Perron and Pouliot would be a nice connection

29. Doomoil says:

Woodguy:
    Can the Oilers get Couturier out of Philly?

Wil Fraser makes me want to set fire the radio, but I listen on the way to work because I’m an Oiler’s junkie and a masochist (same thing really) .Drive to work is about 20min, way more than enough.

Neilsen and Fraser have the comedy thing down, but there isn’t a lick of hockey sense between the two.

30. Younger Oil says:

cabbiesmacker: And CFP was what? $6M per year? $6.5? Makes a guy shake his head a little when comparing to Pouliot and Nikitin’s contracts doesn’t it? Caps higher and all but jeez, 1 of those things is not like the others.

It really is more of an indication of the salary cap going up. Pronger made $6.25M on a $39M cap, which would be the equivalent of him making $11M on a $69M cap. By comparisson, Pouliot would be making $2.25M in 05-06, With todays cap, a player who is above average should probably make about 5% of the current cap, which is $3.45M. With Edmonton being a poorer team, and Nikitin and Pouliot being free agents, their contracts aren’t really that bad!

31. Rondo says:

What about trading Viktor Fasth for Berglund ?

32. Wolfie says:

I’m not as keen on making a play for a centre. Arco showed last year he can play. The Oilers have added actual NHL players with size and skill to the wings. I think those moves will insulate LD and NY.

You can either put LD between Perron and Purcell while having Arco and Pouliot babysit Yak.

33. Ryan says:

Mact has some pretty big stones, you have to give him that… To trade Gagner for Purcell then throw $4m at Pouliot–a winger and not even grab a 3c vet on a 2 yr overpay… Just wow.

Last year aside from all the flotsam he signed, the other glaring error was not addressing depth a centre.

Nuge–arcobello–Draisatl–Gordon, yikes. History could repeat itself.

34. Ryan says:

Wolfie:
    I’m not as keen on making a play for a centre.Arco showed last year he can play.The Oilers have added actual NHL players with size and skill to the wings.I think those moves will insulate LD and NY.

Even uber talented rookie centers are typically a drag though some can put up okay boxcars getting butter soft minutes and ozone starts.

If Nuge misses more than 15 games due to injury, we’re a lock for mcdavid.

Ryan:
    Mact has some pretty big stones, you have to give him that…To trade Gagner for Purcell then throw $4m at Pouliot–a winger and not even grab a 3c vet on a 2 yr overpay…Just wow.

Nuge–arcobello–Draisatl–Gordon, yikes.History could repeat itself.

36. Doomoil says:

Gagner is a winger. Gagner was never going to play center for the Oilers this year. MacT said as much in his presser yesterday.

37. theres oil in virginia says:

G Money:

Two years from now? Ha! You wish. Center market’s dry…saddle up! Yeehaw!

38. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Philadelphia Flyers ✔ @NHLFlyers
    The #Flyers have agreed to terms with F Zack Stortini on a one-year, two-way contract. Read more: http://ow.ly/yIPYn

Ed Snider. gamer.

39. bigbadbruin24 says:

Would love if the Oilers fire an offer sheet to PK. I imagine it would have to be 7 x 9 million for him to look at it though. 7 x 8.5 would be more reasonable but I think the Habs match for sure

If they are headed towards a trade with Boston regarding Boychuk, I think Chris Kelly would be involved as well. Marchand/Boychuk would be the way to try and go but I think it would be more along the lines of Kelly/Boychuk for Petry and a mid to late pick…maybe a 5th. I’m not sure that is the way the Oil would want to go.

40. Chris Hext---formerly EasyOil--- says:

Off-topic: I currently live in Sydney, Australia, and am particularly excited to go and see USA v CAN later this month. Now, it’s not the “real” Team USA and Team Canada we all know and love, it’s a bunch of so-so NHLers (Kyle Quincey is the big name, has done this the last couple of years), goons (Matt Kassian, Zenon Konopka), fringe NHLers (Matt Kassian, Ian Cole, Brian Lee), prospects (Emerson Etem is the big attraction this year imo), minor leaguers, and minor-minor leaguers. Keith Primeau is Canada’s head coach.

I must also add Nathan Walker, whom the hockey community here is ecstatic about being drafted last weekend, though his participation is in doubt now depending on whether he has to attend a Capitals rookie camp.

Anyway, being Australia – not exactly a hotbed for hockey, though those that do follow it are highly passionate and knowledgeable – the event promoters feel the need to pump up each player as though they are either a star, or the next big thing in the NHL.

Why do I bring this up in a worthwhile discussion about the Oilers? Well, Edmonton’s very own Tyler Bunz has just been announced as Team Canada goalie, having received permission from the Oilers. See this beautiful excerpt from the press release below:

“He had exceptional numbers in the WHL and has carried this on in his pro career. After his second season as a pro, Bunz has a good shot a making the big club next year as he is in his final year of his three-year entry level contract.”

I know the Oilers situation in net is far from spectacular, but that is just outstanding BS – no offense to Bunz.

41. LMHF#1 says:

OK with Petty being gone if it means P.K. arrives, right LT?

Not the one I’d ditch either (Ference) but still…

42. OilClog says:

Send the package to Carolina for a Stall, please.

43. Rondo says:

Darren Dreger

2 yrs, $5 mil per for Vrbata to Canucks.

44. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I think there’s a real silliness in freaking out over the center position, or getting too comfortable with a near NHL ready D-corps, until the season actually starts.

MacT has plenty of time to fix one and fuck up the other. or vice versa or whathaveyou.

45. gr8one says:

Chris Hext—formerly EasyOil—,

haha, that’s great.

46. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Chris Hext—formerly EasyOil—,

I saw that too. Do you know why Bunz isn’t in EDM right now for O-Camp?

Are those guys already in Australia?

47. TeeVee says:

OilClog:
    Send the package to Carolina for a Stall, please.

As long as his first name starts with Eric, I’m all for it.

48. Romulus Apotheosis says:

TeeVee: As long as his first name starts with Eric, I’m all for it.

Jordan would be really damn good for this team. Seriously.

49. Hammers says:

Before you get to bent out of shape it maybe Petry for Boychuk & Campbell . If it is I hope McT says at least 1 has to resign or we get a pick next year . Trouble is both of those players are great in the playoffs & Oilers don’t make the playoffs . Boychuck still has a couple of years in him and Campbell would be a great 4th line “C” to bump Gordon to 3rd . McT always liked 2 offensive & 2 defensive centers . There goes 3 scoring lines unless he sees Gordon / Yak / Pouliout as a line . This trade maybe for more pieces if in fact Petry does get traded .

50. Ducey says:

I am a fan of Petry.

But Petry is “seen” as “soft” and makes lots of boneheaded mistakes. He is quiet and doesn’t engage with the fans. I am not sure I have ever heard him talk. He doesn’t look like he is trying.

The saw him good crowd doesn’t like him.

But make no mistake, the MacT Oilers will disregard that if the math is good. Yesterday proved that.

I think the scouts elsewhere likely don’t like him much more than the saw him good crowd. He will not bring back as much as we think.

I think he gets a 3 yr deal and will not be traded this summer. But he better get more consistent and eliminate the obvious chaos or he will be traded next summer.

Gerta Rauss: Can you tell me if the compliance buyouts are done..?

Anybody know…?

Good point.

They might be.

52. Chris Hext---formerly EasyOil--- says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I’d be surprised if they’re here already, the first game isn’t until the 11th in Perth. I suppose it’s not out of the realm of possibility they’re here early to get over the jet lag…

Can’t see anything on Bunz’ twitter about why he’s not at O-Camp, but wouldn’t be surprised if the Aussie Tour has something to do with it. Oilers giving him permission is a pretty clear indication of how they see him.

cabbiesmacker: I heard No Chance re Couturier being available. He’s supposedly one part of 4 that are off the table. I’d assume Mr Patty Bum is one of the 4 but after that? Schenn? Voracek? With that lineup I don’t see them wanting to trade anything close to a real hockey player to be honest. They’re starving for decent prospects but I have no clue who in hell they’d trade to get them.

Does Philly have cap issues with Pronger put back on LTIR?

They are pretty fucked.

They need to be under the cap with Pronger on opening day.

Last few years they put some guys in the AHL and brought them back up after.

Those guys are not waiver exempt anymore.

coolwasabi:
    Eric Brewer, Doug Lynch and Jeff Woywitka were traded for Chris Pronger.

Do that Mact!

GOGOGOGOGOGOOGOGOGOGOGOOGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doomoil: Did you happen to hear him suggest Steve Ott would be a perfect fit for the Oilers and immediately make us much better?

Wil Fraser suggesting Steve Ott is the perfect 2C in Edmonton is akin to ……..

WIl Fraser suggesting Steve Ott is the perfect 2C in Edmonton.

Sorry, that’s all I could come up with.

Woodguy: Yes.

They are pretty fucked.

They need to be under the cap with Pronger on opening day.

Last few years they put some guys in the AHL and brought them back up after.

Those guys are not waiver exempt anymore.

Maybe that’s our answer. Men who can be sent down ala Marincin.

Wolfie:

Thanks for posting MacT!

Lowetide: Maybe that’s our answer. Men who can be sent down ala Marincin.

Or Klef.

Plus something.

59. thejonrmcleod says:

There hasn’t been much buzz about Legwand. How about 2 years for about $3 million per season?

I wouldn’t trade Marincin or Klef for Berglund straight up , but you giggle like a school girl as you drive one of them to the airport with your 2016 1st and buy out Lecav or Luke Schenn.

Or spin Schenn off to someone for a 6th.

61. Rondo says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

He would, but I would not give the 2015 1st rd pick. Oilers are not a playoff team and with all these additions you still need chemistry.

Pouliot’s a helluva player

Posts from 2005.

63. bigbadbruin24 says:

One thing I can state with almost absolute certainty is that Boychuk will be in Edmonton on July 21st…he has a kids hockey camp to run.

64. Dicky94 says:

OilClog,

Yes yes!

Lowetide: Pouliot’s a helluva player with an excellent track record. It’s vague, and because he crossed so many teams he looks like a replacement level, but if you look at it he’s done well. Seriously. Very strong signing, I pray he ends up on a soft minutes line with German and Russian.

I think Poo makes Perron available more in trade today than he was yesterday.

They can play Poo as 2LW and run a combo of Gazidacacacac and Pitlick as 3LW with Dry Saddle and Yak.

Not ideal, but it gets you a 2C

Doomoil:

That’s one reason why we think he learned a lot his rookie year.

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Philadelphia Flyers✔ @NHLFlyers

Ed Snider. gamer.

Nultz, Zorg.

THEY’RE GETTING THE BAND BACK TOGETHER!!

68. TeeVee says:

Perron absolutely does not get traded. Only men with Tambellini sideburns.

You heard it here.

Romulus Apotheosis:

We’re not freaking out.

We are spitballing.

History tells us the solution is coming soon.

70. Ryan says:

I don’t have any problems with Pouliot except for the fact that he doesn’t play centre :)

In fairness it’s still cap space that Mact could have thrown at a pivot. Maybe none were interested in signing here, so who knows.

In my mind, it’s sort of like last year where Mact packaged PRV and a second for a scoring winger. Sure we all like Perron, but he still converted our few traceable assets into a scoring winger when we really needed a centre. Then he traded the dirty Russian for cap space and a spare part further eroding our depth at centre.

We all know good teams need a centre or two playing on the wings in the top 9 for depth when injuries hit.

We currently have 2 actual nhl centers and one is pencilled in for a shut down fourth line.

Now, the best case scenario could involve moving our best defenseman for someone like Berglund. Yikes.

Ducey:
    I am a fan of Petry.

But Petry is “seen” as “soft” and makes lots of boneheaded mistakes.He is quiet and doesn’t engage with the fans.I am not sure I have ever heard him talk.He doesn’t look like he is trying.

The saw him good crowd doesn’t like him.

But make no mistake, the MacT Oilers will disregard that if the math is good.Yesterday proved that.

I think the scouts elsewhere likely don’t like him much more than the saw him good crowd.He will not bring back as much as we think.

Its obvious the MacT is paying attention to possession stats.

Petry has the 2nd best possession stats on the team behind Marincin.

He’s the only one in the city who needs to care about such things, and he has proven he does.

Doesn’t mean he doesn’t trade him.

It just means that Terry, Jim, Marc, Wil, etc or the fans don’t get a vote.

Just the way it should be.

72. Jon K says:

Is there any reason that Pronger’s contract couldn’t be traded by Philly? If that were the case, I’m sure there would be many creative ways that teams could “help” them out with it.

Philly really is in trouble though. Eight of their players have some form of NMC. It would seem all the planets are aligning for the Flyers to get bent over by some opportunistic team.

73. Gret99zky says:

Eric Brewer, Doug Lynch and Jeff Woywitka were run out of town by evil Oiler fans.

Remember last year when MacT failed to address C depth? And then Sam got a stick to the face? Boom–out of the playoffs in November.

Well, Gord help this line-up when the injuries start coming.

74. FastOil says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    I wonder if Nikitin’s contract has Petry asking for 4.5-5M and EDM won’t bite.

75. TheOtherJohn says:

Agree with Rom:Jordan Staal would be perfect to play against big body C in the WC. He would be very expensive to get out of Carolina but outstanding get. Would also allow us to bring LD on slowly

If not Staal: Boychuk and Soderberg for Petry+. Soderberg is big body that is bridge to LD being ready. UFA next year though

76. Hammers says:

Another idea is Petry & Perron for Coburn & B.Schenn . Would that make anybody happy . When thinking on it I realized nearly everyone who writes to LT has said after Schultz & Petry are signed we still miss the playoffs and maybe end up 20th at best . Maybe McT is willing to trade a couple of players he doesn’t see here long term . Accept the fact its McT’s neck on the line not any blogger .

77. Gret99zky says:

FastOil: Imagine Petry with a good partner with more than 7.375 games experience.

That is a lot. Like 89 seasons.

FastOil: That alone should be MacT’s end if true. Imagine Petry with a good partner with more than 7.375 games experience. Nikitin doesn’t play first level comp. You can argue Petry can’t either, but he’s done ok with no help. The far better player.

That’s the thing about Fayne.

He’s good.

I don’t think anyone has any idea if he’s better than Petry.

If he signs for 4 years cheaper than Petry, well then there’s that…..

Jon K:

Not many would trade for that.

Hammers:

2C in the Western Conference is a loooooooooooong way from there.

81. bigbadbruin24 says:

TheOtherJohn:

If not Staal: [b]Boychuk and Soderberg for Petry+[/b]. Soderberg is big body that is bridge to LD being ready. UFA next year though

Bruins are very happy with Soderberg…highly doubt he would be moved. They waited a long time for his arrival.

82. wheatnoil says:

I’m not opposed to getting Berglund out of St. Louis, though it would be strange for them to trade him right after resigning him. However, I’m not sure St. Louis would be interested in acquiring Petry.

Their current top 6 D:
    Pietrangelo
    Bouwmeester (No trade clause)
    Shattenkirk
    Jackman (No trade clause)
    Gunnarsson (just traded for him)
    Leopold (modified NTC)

Where does a signed Petry fit into there? They have a fair bit of money tied up back there and half of them have no trade clauses. They’d have to clear one of them out for Petry by shipping out the just-acquired Gunnarsson or Shattenkirk. I don’t see a fit.

I don’t want the Oilers to trade Petry for Berglund because I don’t think the Oilers can afford to give him up… but I also don’t think there’s room for him in St. Louis. It would have to be something else.

83. Frank the dog says:

Unless Petry flat wants out I’d suspect all we’re seeing is a stare down.

84. Gerta Rauss says:

Woodguy: He has to be on your roster on opening day and you cannot buy out contracts when the player is on LTIR, and he is forever.

Not many would trade for that.

And it’s a 35+ contract

tee hee…:)

Frank the dog:
    Unless Petry flat wants out I’d suspect all we’re seeing is a stare down.

Makes complete sense.

86. Gerta Rauss says:

Woodguy: That’s the thing about Fayne.

He’s good.

I don’t think anyone has any idea if he’s better than Petry.

If he signs for 4 years cheaper than Petry, well then there’s that…..

I can picure the Oilers looking at Fayne(with a 4 year contract)….then at Petry….then back at Fayne….and coming to the conclusion that they’ve already got a George

wheatnoil:

Their current top 6 D:
    Pietrangelo
    Bouwmeester (No trade clause)
    Shattenkirk
    Jackman (No trade clause)
    Gunnarsson (just traded for him)
    Leopold (modified NTC)

STL doesn’t want Petry.

They want a 2015 1st (BUF owns theirs)

They need cap relief.

Lowetide: Makes complete sense.

*crosses fingers*

Gerta Rauss: And that’s all I’m saying about the comparisons I’m making between Petry and Fayne.

I wish for a day when 6 actual NHL Dmen were the goal.

Someday my princes will come.

90. Ryan says:

Woodguy: STL doesn’t want Petry.

They want a 2015 1st (BUF owns theirs)

They need cap relief.

How about a 2015 2nd from the Oilers? Almost as good.

91. belcolt91 says:

speeds:

This. Wouldn’t be the first time a name has been thrown into the trade rumourmill under the MacT regime. I believe this is simply MacT expanding his options.

coolwasabi:
    Eric Brewer, Doug Lynch and Jeff Woywitka were traded for Chris Pronger.

Do that Mact!

Chris Pronger was damaged goods (no one was certain he would recover from his chronic wrist injury for which he had surgery) and St. Louis was in cap hell, along with pretty much every other team in the NHL except the OIlers.

93. cabbiesmacker says:

Jon K:

What the hell. Slap some of those 2″ thick horn rimmed goggles on him ala Bubbles from Trailer Park Boys and play the bastard. He’d still be top pairing D in Edmonton. If he gets blindsided a few times, whatever. He can damn well play in a walker.

94. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Chris Hext—formerly EasyOil—:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

I’d be surprised if they’re here already, the first game isn’t until the 11th in Perth.I suppose it’s not out of the realm of possibility they’re here early to get over the jet lag…

I thought it might be a diss and then I saw he was headed to this tourney. So, I’ll assume that’s what’s keeping him away, but it is funny because they don’t exactly over-lap it seems.

Woodguy: Nultz, Zorg.

THEY’RE GETTING THE BAND BACK TOGETHER!!

Wonder if they offer CVDV another contract too?

Woodguy: We’re not freaking out.

We are spitballing.

History tells us the solution is coming soon.

Not you… a poster or two was in a real huff about the signings because they didn’t address C.

That argument doesn’t make sense as long as the regular season is months away.

95. Lloyd B. says:

The only way I see Petry heading out is IF and its a big IF is that he is part of a package for a BHAD. The game is changing and the US college defencemen are the way it is going. It may be 10 years ahead of the change but Dmen that can use their smarts to get the puck from the opposition and head man it to the forwards are the way this is going. Without our standard of driving the guy into the boards to get possession.

96. wheatnoil says:

Frank the dog:
    Unless Petry flat wants out I’d suspect all we’re seeing is a stare down.

MacT: Come on now, he was a UFA and you know damn well it’s a different market than RFA.
    Petry’s Agent: Well, Jeff’s only got one RFA year left, so his first UFA year has to start at at least 5.
    MacT: Nikitin’s got a 32 point season behind him, Jeff doesn’t.
    Petry’s Agent: That was 3 years ago Craig, and last year he played depth minutes. Petry plays the hardest minutes on your team.
    MacT: Fayne plays harder minutes and did better and we just signed him as a UFA for $3.5, Petry’s going to have to come in a lot less than that.
    Petry’s Agent: Oh please Craig, Petry’s your top D and you damn well know it. Who are you going to have if he doesn’t play?
    MacT: Hey, Nikitin can play the right, so we have options. I got a deal on the table to move Jeff to fill my 2C spot and it’s to a team that has less cap space than us, so good luck getting your deal from them. I can have Schultz, Fayne and Nikitin on the right and have Nurse and Klefbom fight it out for last spot on the left with Ference and Marincin. Look, I think Jeff’s a great player and I think he makes this team better. I want him here, I really do, but I’m not going to break the bank for him. I’ve got options.
    MacT: Try me.

*stare down*

97. book¡je says:

Some are suggesting that the Oilers signing Nikitin allows Petry to ask for more. I actually see it weakening Petry’s bargaining power somewhat.

98. cabbiesmacker says:

Ryan: How about a 2015 2nd from the Oilers?Almost as good.

How about for Berglund…..nothing. Not a damn thing. Nada.

Take him out of STL and watch how he plays. When Andrew Shaw and Marcus Kruger can eat your lunch playing 6″ shorter you suck harder than a Hoover.

99. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Not many would trade for that.

That’s actually something I never considered.

If I’m Burke and I’m willing to overpay Engelland to get to the cap floor (that has to be the reason right?) for 3 years… why not be creative and take on Pronger and get something real nice in return?

100. Jasmine says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    I wonder if Nikitin’s contract has Petry asking for 4.5-5M and EDM won’t bite.

Petry can’t use Nikitin’s contract because Petry is a RFA and Nikitin was a UFA.

101. Lloyd B. says:

book¡je,

Yes. Because they have replaced him based on last years D. However, with both we are in a much better position. I reckon MacT knows that he has replaced a myriad of marginal defensemen with slightly higher end defensmen across the board. Every incremental step to improve each player in the line up is a good thing. I’m liking the whole stare down thought. Besides … once we have signed Petry…Shultz will get what we need via trade.

To be clear. I’m not a jultz fan despite my earlier comments on US college players. He can prove me wrong but I played with these types of heros and MEH ! They truly believe it’s all about them having great numbers and the team is the problem…not them.

102. Jasmine says:

Wolfie:

103. Gret99zky says:

wheatnoil: Petry’s Agent: You just threw around $4.5 at Nikitin and my client is better than that.
    MacT: Nikitin’s got a 32 point season behind him, Jeff doesn’t.
    MacT: Try me.

*stare down*

Damn I hope they cast Christopher Walkin in the role of Petry’s Agent in the made for TV movie. And Christoph Waltz as MacT.

Ryan: How about a 2015 2nd from the Oilers?Almost as good.

That what I said.

I don’t rate Berglund though.

Not as a 2C in the WC.

Pass.

Jasmine: Arco can’t be used as a centre because he’s a smurf and doesn’t have size. Oilers wanted to convert Gagner to wing prior to trading him because he didn’t have size. Oilers would get killed with Arco at centre. Arco needs to be moved to wing.

I want to run him out of town.

Gret99zky: Damn I hope they cast Christopher Walkin in the role of Petry’s Agent in the made for TV movie.And Christoph Waltz as MacT.

It needs more cowbell.

wheatnoil,

That’s probably the gist, but I bet they’re more polite.

108. Gerta Rauss says:

Romulus Apotheosis: That’s actually something I never considered.

But sure, yeah

109. Jasmine says:

Woodguy,

Why do you want to run Perron out of town. Why do Oilers fans always want to run players out of town?

110. Gerta Rauss says:

Wait…is he a smurf, or a shrimp..?

Please clarify

111. Gret99zky says:

Jasmine:
    Woodguy,

Because walking them takes too long.

Petry is a one year arbitration away from UFA status next summer. He is “effectively” a UFA.

Unless it is 4 x $5 million, he’s opting for arbitration, and going to UFA next summer.

He has absolutely no reason to sign a contract for anything less than 4 x $5 milion. There is no incentive to sign a two or three year deal. Arbitration will get him $3, and UFA next year will get him $5 million next summer.

He is a top 4 right shot veteran multi-tool D entering his prime. The price for that is $5 million.

There is minimal risk in signing him to that contract, because of his age and with the cap likely to go up, and the fact that he is a scarce commodity…a just entering mid-career veteran right shot D. He will be tradeable.

113. Ryan says:

Woodguy: That what I said.

I don’t rate Berglund though.

Not as a 2C in the WC.

Pass.

It wouldn’t be ideal especially with the vaunted 2015 draft class, but I’d still consider it because I’d like to watch meaningful hockey at least to January this year. :)

So far we’ve traded PRV and a 33 for three years of Perron. We burned one year of that chasing Draisatl… Next year we’re out of the top 20.

So unless Perron extends for a good rate or we’re competing for long playoff run in the third year of his contract, what was the point?

114. "Steve Smith" says:

godot10,

Here’s a bet: it vests only if Petry signs, rather than following through with arbitration. I bet you that, if he does sign, he does so at a cap hit of under $5 million. If I win, you can never write “not” in all caps on this blog again. If you win, I can’t ever post again without adding, or at least attempting to add, some substance to whatever conversation I’m interjecting in (or choose a different forfeit; I don’t really care).

If you’re confident in your prediction, you should be willing to enter into this bet, since the only two possibilities are Petry opting for arbitration, in which case the best doesn’t vest, or Petry signing for four years at $5 million per, in which case you win.

115. Hammers says:

Woodguy: Brayden Schenn hasn’t shown anything except he’s a below average 3C in the Eastern Conference.

2C in the Western Conference is a loooooooooooong way from there.

Yea but you need to overpay for Coburn so maybe a fair trade .

116. Younger Oil says:

Sobotka is a far more appealing option than Berglund IMO. Feisty, stocky, can do a bit of everything, had good corsi despite unfavorable zone starts. Could be a good #2C for a couple of years and then could move to #3C when Draisaitl is ready. Would probably be expensive to acquire and sign, but I’d much prefer him than Berglund.

117. russ99 says:

Ugh. We’re one decent center and a backup checking winger away from a decent NHL roster that could be playing meaningful games in April (if Eakins listens to Ramsay, which I’m not convinced about just yet) and now we’re trading everyone.

MacT did too much right over the last week to have it all unravel now over an ill-conceived sell-low trade.

118. wheatnoil says:

Moneyball 2: The Eye-glow Strikes Back

119. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Gerta Rauss: The only drawback to this is that you’d run a 22 man roster for the next 3 years

But sure, yeah

As I understand it… once the season starts you LTIR Pronger and can add a player/cap… wouldn’t affect anything in-season.

120. Ryan says:

russ99:

Take your pick: http://www.capgeek.com/ufa-finder/?stats_type=standard&position_id=F

121. Younger Oil says:

The deal that keeps popping into my head is a #2C and a #3LW for Perron, Musil/Gernat/Lander, and a 2015 2nd round pick. I don’t want to get rid of Perron, but his contract is probably the most appealing to other teams.

Josh Bailey and Brock Nelson

Vladmir Sobotka and MPS

Artem Anisimov and Matt Calvert

Each of those IMO could really, really help this team going forward, if the deal is plausible.

122. VanOil says:

Sign Petry. 4M to 4.5M X 4 years

NYI now have spare Centers.

Pitlick, Musil + 2nd for Brock Nelson.

Nelson with the Vets Perron and Purcell as 2nd line Center until Draisaitl pushes him down the line up.

Oilers become Western Monsters down the middle. RHN, Nelson, Draisaitl, Gordon with Arco and Lander to fill in and a bevy of big C’s in the system.

123. Gerta Rauss says:

russ99: Hopefully MacT stays the course, signs our two RFA’s and makes one of those shrewd late July signings for a Draisaitl stopgap center at lower than expected salary.

I’m saying this without snark russ

Who is going to be left in late July..? The landscape is already bare and it ‘s only July 2

After Legwand signs, we’re looking at a trade if we want a 2C that can make a difference

If we’re staring at Michael Handzus in late July I’d rather run Arcobello or Lander, and that would be an opportunity missed imo

We’re 1 roster player away from seeing that balance picture LT has stashed away( I think it’s Sofia Vergara, but that’s just a guess)

124. Romulus Apotheosis says:

VanOil:
    Sign Petry. 4M to 4.5M X 4 years

NYI now have spare Centers.

Pitlick, Musil + 2nd for Brock Nelson.

125. FastOil says:

Frank the dog:
    Unless Petry flat wants out I’d suspect all we’re seeing is a stare down.

If you sign or trade for a name you have a leg to stand on with your existing players. Petry has carried a load, been shit hammered for the home side, and deserves an equivalent pay to NN who is also the same age, so there is no age excuse (perhaps more term with less $).

I have no idea why Fayne signed for what he did, but if I were JP I’d think that way.

126. Ducey says:

Gerta Rauss: Wait…is he a smurf, or a shrimp..?

Please clarify

As long as he is not a Schremp, the Oilers will be ok.

127. HallDown says:

My guess would be, because Petry is UFA next year, he wants term and dollars like what he’s seeing now, especially after playing for peanuts last few years. If MacT wants to buy some UFA years, Petry will want to be paid for it. Contracts like Engelland and Orpik must have GM’s fuming.

To make things worse, Petry is a 2nd pairing D, but Oilers have him playing top pairing. So do you pay him for the job he’s been doing or the one he’s supposed to be doing? It’s literally a million dollar question, at the least.

128. FastOil says:

HallDown:

129. Gerta Rauss says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I understand what you’re saying now….using Pronger’s cap hit to get to the floor for opening day then LTIR him.

I’m not sure that works though- the minute you put him on LTIR you would be under the cap floor and I’m not certain the league would allow that(or would they…does LTIR spend count against the cap..?)

I’m not sure

130. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Gerta Rauss:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

I’m not sure

Ha!

Not quite what I meant either.

More like… a team that has a lot of cap space (so, worrying over opening day cap isn’t an issue), but that is willing to spend on useless things (like Engelland) might as well try to spend money in an interesting way that might get them something worthwhile.

something like that.

131. TeeVee says:

FastOil: A little loyalty is often appropriate. Petry is a good player. Buy out Ference to pay him.

132. Deadman Waiting says:

wheatnoil: Petry’s Agent: You’re bluffing Craig. You’re not going that young on the blue. You and I both know it.

MacT: It’s a damn deep draft next season, and we have to get the miles on those guys somewhere down the road.
    Petry’s Agent: Dallas won’t survive another lottery ball.
    MacT: You’ve never seen Dallas jogging at 05:00 in his asbestos-lined track suit, have you?
    Petry’s Agent: You’ll be the one feeling the heat.
    MacT: I’ll be the only person in Edmonton with my office window open when it’s forty below. Last winter I set up my spiny chair in between two desks, and gave myself a swift 180 every ten minutes. Not even a touch of frostbite in either ear.
    Petry’s Agent: Now you’re just making shit up.
    MacT: Alright then, in plain language: your leverage only exists if I capitulate. The more I capitulate, the sooner I’m screwed down the road. You’re trying to talk me into the hyperbolic discounting of saving my own skin. I suggest that you and Jeff come to the table and argue your own interests, and cease this nonsense of arguing from my side of the table, because we covered this at great tedious length in MBA school and it’s simply not going to fly.

133. Frank the dog says:

FastOil: How would you feel if buddy walks in with a worse resume, from a different team, and gets more? This is a problem with overpaying marginal UFA’s.

Whereas MacT wants home town discount, hence the stare down.
    If MacT can get an equivalent value of asset for less than Petry wants, he’ll take it, no offense to Petry. That asset could be a D, or a 2C or both.

I’m hoping Petry is not asking for more than market, and that he doesn’t mind staying with the Oilers. If not, then it’s a whole different ballgame.

134. VanOil says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Brock Nelson isn’t going anywhere. He ate Bailey’s lunch last year for his age. Bailey might pop free.

Don’t ruin my dreams with your rationalism. Maybe Snow does not know the young man is a Corgi killer.

135. HallDown says:

FastOil,

I agree he should be paid, but why buy out Ference? He’s good on 3rd pairing and the C, and there’s plenty of $$ to go around. I think Oilers should pay JP $3MM this year, $4MM for 4yrs after. Its’ what he’s worth on the market, and it would send a good message to roster players and prospects: Stick around and you will be rewarded.

136. Gerta Rauss says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

got it

you mentioned cap floor in your original post and I made the whole thing more complicated than it needed to be

137. Big Dan says:

Petry is worth $5M? Really guys? Niskanen just had a career year putting up a pile of points and he got $5.5M.

Petry is a good player. No disagreement there. But good lord, anything north of $4M is high in my opinion. He doesn’t score a lot and has nights when he is a total bonehead. Matt Fayne is very comparable of $3.6M. Maybe you go as high as Kyle Quincey at $4.25M. That’s the ballpark/range that Petry will realize.

After a long stare down, Petry will be signed to 4-year $17M in August. Book it.

Anyone talking about trading Petry for a 2C is just spit balling rumors for the sa ke of something to do. MacT has shown through his deals of completely untradeable players like Dubnyk/ Gagner/ Hemsky, acquisitions of Perron/ Purcell/ Scrivens/ Fasth, and the free agent signings… that he is a very smart guy. He doesn’t have to bend over and give Petry $5M just because he asks for it. That’s what negotiations are all about. Patience!

The 2C will come. And it’ll have nothing to do with Petry.

138. Gerta Rauss says:

FastOil: Buy out Ference to pay him

TeeVee: I’ve had this hunch all week that Ference would be bought out to free up the necessary cash to get a big deal done.

6 year cap penalty to buy out Ference guys, I doubt this happens anytime soon

Ference was MacT’s marquee signing last summer. Captain. Community presence.

139. Ryan says:

MacT: Nikitin’s got a 32 point season behind him, Jeff doesn’t.
    MacT: Try me.

*stare down*

Almost missed this. It’s a real gem…

btw, is there an internet term for when the blog comments aren’t flowing fast enough, so you start scouring old comments for something you missed reading?

140. Zangetsu says:

Brassard? Probably not 2C, but good 3C. Would force Drat back to junior if we could find someone else (legwand).

Jasmine:
    Woodguy,

Run, run, run.

The further away the better.

“Steve Smith”:
    godot10,

Here’s a bet: it vests only if Petry signs, rather than following through with arbitration.I bet you that, if he does sign, he does so at a cap hit of under $5 million.If I win, you can never write “not” in all caps on this blog again.If you win, I can’t ever post again without adding, or at least attempting to add, some substance to whatever conversation I’m interjecting in (or choose a different forfeit; I don’t really care).

I don’t like this bet.

You’re best when you have no substance.

143. Lois Lowe says:

Gret99zky: Because walking them takes too long.

WINNAR!

144. "Steve Smith" says:

Woodguy,

That was really uncalled for, Senator.

Younger Oil:

I’ve loved me some Sobatka since he was a Bruin.

Can’t believe Armstrong picked him up for sfa.

Not sure he’s a 2C though.

He had a bloody +23 RelCor in the playoffs. On STL. That’s nutty.

You can make a serious argument that Sobatka played very slightly less comp, but with tougher zone starts, with much worse linemates and came out way ahead of Berglund.

His 5v5 scoring is worse than Berglund historically, but this year Sobatka put up 1.79 while Berglund put up 1.72.

Sobatka AND Berglund had Schwartz and Taresenko as their two most common line mates. The TOI is pretty damn close with each of them.

Here is their CF% together

Sobatka with:

Schwartz 58.6%
    Taresenko 62.7%

Berglund with:

Schwartz 53.8%
    Taresenko 57.9%

Looks like our boy Sobatko owns Berglund a bit head to head no?

SAY NO TO BERGLUND MACT, OR AT THE LEAST GET THEM TO THROW IN SOBATKA AND FLIP BERGLUND TO SOMEONE ELSE.

To be clear Sobatka doesn’t have the history of offence like Berglund, but he’s had bottom of the roster team mates forever. When he has some good ones, he’s as effective as Berglund.

I aim higher.

Still love me some Sobatka.

“Steve Smith”:
    godot10,

I am not an idiot.

In saying that Petry will opt for arbitration, it means he would be more than will to sign a one year contract for less than $5 million. Most arbitrations never make it to the arbitrator, or haven’t you noticed.

Conceivably he could sign for 2 with an AAV of $4 million, with $3 million in year one and $5 million in year two, but it would be an extremely bad decision to delay UFA status the the extra year. That would be surrender of his negotiating position.

He would not be asking for 7 years like Niskanen. Niskanen got to play with a grizzled veteran in a weak conference with Crosby and Malkin. He really isn’t much better than Petry.

Petry got to play with Smid and Marincin against the toughest competition in the Western Conference for the last two seasons.

147. Ryan says:

Big Dan:
    Petry is worth $5M?Really guys?Niskanen just had a career year putting up a pile of points and he got $5.5M.

Petry is a good player.No disagreement there.But good lord, anything north of $4M is high in my opinion.He doesn’t score a lot and has nights when he is a total bonehead.Matt Fayne is very comparable of $3.6M.Maybe you go as high as Kyle Quincey at $4.25M.That’s the ballpark/range that Petry will realize.

After a long stare down, Petry will be signed to 4-year $17M in August.Book it.

Anyone talking about trading Petry for a 2C is just spit balling rumors for the sa ke of something to do.MacT has shown through his deals of completely untradeable players like Dubnyk/ Gagner/ Hemsky, acquisitions of Perron/ Purcell/ Scrivens/ Fasth, and the free agent signings… that he is a very smart guy.He doesn’t have to bend over and give Petry $5M just because he asks for it.That’s what negotiations are all about.Patience!

The 2C will come.And it’ll have nothing to do with Petry.

For the early years reading Dellow’s blog, it felt like the SETI project in which he was looking for signs or really any hint of intelligent life within the Oilers management.

Mact has made some mistakes, but he’s certainly shown the ability to make some smart trades and well now the search is over.

I come across as critical, but I do like the thought process behind many of the recent moves.

148. Jon K says:

The problem with the Petry negotiation is that the Oilers are pretty much out of cap space. They have 11.8 left in space, but they have to sign Petry and Schultz and both will command at least 4.0. Once you take Draisaitl with bonuses into account, the Oilers essentially have no more space under the cap at all.

Regarding Petry specifically, he can demand a one year contract or arbitration and he can hit the jackpot a season later as an UFA with a 2015-2016 cap estimated to be around 75-76 million.

The Oilers likely know this but would like to keep him long term if they can. However, a top 4 UFA of Petry’s quality over long term can probably command around 5.0, especially with a higher cap the season after next. Petry knows this, hence the current standoff.

I suspect we haven’t seen any movement on the centre front for this reason: MacT needs to get Petry and Schultz sorted because there may be no more funds for the 2C. If they can’t get Petry on a long term deal under 4.5 we may see him traded for the 2C.

149. Jon K says:

Big Dan:

After a long stare down, Petry will be signed to 4-year $17M in August.Book it.

The 2C will come.And it’ll have nothing to do with Petry.

Petry as an UFA will absolutely get 5.0 if he walks at the end of next season.

It’s funny you mention Niskanen as getting 5.5 because in many ways he and Petry are similar players.

Petry and Niskanen have similar EVP/60 over their careers, have similar relative CF%, are both around 21mins EV a game. Petry actually plays more at ES than Niskanen.

150. TeeVee says:

Is it possible that if we sign Jerred Smithson, with the right wingers, he could be our answer at 2c?

*Slightly Drunk*

151. Romulus Apotheosis says:

TeeVee:

*Slightly Drunk*

check into a hospital. you have alcohol poisoning.

152. VanOil says:

TeeVee:

*Slightly Drunk*

153. Gerta Rauss says:

Jon K,

They can defer Leon’s bonus’ until next year if it comes to that (he may play in PA for all we know) Leon counts about 925k against the cap for now

The other 2 will be interesting…$8M might be a little high, I think they’ll get a bridge deal done with Schultz. Petry is the wild card.

They’ve got a little spending money for a C

154. bendelson says:

Big Dan,

Last fall you made a crazy prediction that Dubnyk would at best be a 2M/yr backup goalie somewhere in the NHL by this time…

Your confidence in Devon’s impending downfall pissed me off. Where do you get off….?

Well, here we are and credit is due. Good call, you cynical bastard. It’s hard to believe you were actually overselling Dubnyk by 1.2M.

So, in my mind you are now the defacto Oilers goalie expert around these parts… tough gig.

Anything we should be worried about in goal come October Big Dan?

155. TeeVee says:

VanOil: I was that “Slightly Drunk” once. It involved playing grab ass with a cop on Canada day.

So you’re Claude Giroux?

156. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

If you stand back and consider that in the time/space continuum:

A. there has not been a team that has consecutively stacked exceptionally high picks like the Oilers in NHL lore (they are ‘in the bank’ so to speak)
    B. whilst a Norris level defenseman of such a TENDER age has been seemingly locking horns with his current team for financial respect with a union bargained mechanism for third party negotiation intervention called an offer sheet is available and looming
    C. And the team with the stacked picks has financial capacity, a very well funded owner, a packed arena EVERY damn game regardless of outcome, a new shiny arena dropping within two seasons, an escalating salary cap, runway on a new CBA and a 10% income tax advantage on the poor sods hamstringing this young and truly elite defender (which gets AMPLIFIED with a larger quantum on the contract)

And it’s obvious isn’t it? Lightening in a bottle. Strike, and strike with conviction. You forego the future picks and step on Montreal’s neck. We are the ones that have experienced the difference of a Norris level defenseman tilting the ice – instantaneously. It would be a bloody shame to not jump through this generational worm hole. Nice guys finish last. Drop the hammer.

157. belcolt91 says:

Jon K,

If they sign/trade for a 2C, I think LD is going back to junior. Which is ultimately a good thing.

158. Lois Lowe says:

I love that Nick Schultz will be playing D somewhere next season. It shows just how little GMs are willing to look into a player. I fully expect Ryan Jones and Ryan Whitney to be given another shot somewhere.

159. nycoil says:

Woodguy,

You’re on a roll today. BUT, just like Berglund isn’t a 2C in the Western Conference, Pouliot is not a 2LW in the Western Conference. Pouliot is best as a 2-way 3rd liner who occasionally moves up to 2nd line when needed.

Like the player (except for those gosh darn stupid penalties he takes every other game), and I like that we got him. We overpaid on term for him, though. But if Perron is gone and Pouliot is the full-time 2 LW the Oilers aren’t going to score many goals at all.

160. original31 says:

Finally they expand to 32 teams!

Never understood why we in the west had a better chance at making the playoffs

161. cabbiesmacker says:

nycoil:
    Woodguy,

You nailed it. Funny how kids get so fascinated with shiny new things isn’t it? Every year around this time to boot.

Dude has played for 5 different teams since 2009 and theres a reason for it. He showed flashes in this years playoffs but he’s about to turn 28 and there have been very few of those flashes over the course of his career. Anyone thinking Perron should now be tradebait because Pouliot is onboard is on luudes. Perron is a much better player, now, in the foreseeable future and most likely forever.

He’s not the worst signing MacTavish made this offseason, Nikitin has that trophy, but I’m firmly from Missouri on this guy. Let’s talk in November and see what ppl have to say.

++ He’s a better bet than Ryan and Ryan

162. cabbiesmacker says:

Ryan:

So far we’ve traded PRV and a 33 for three years of Perron.We burned one year of that chasing Draisatl…Next year we’re out of the top 20.

Out of the top 20 what? First round picks? Cmon Ryan. You’re better than that dude.

163. cabbiesmacker says:

So the Oilers may lose Petry but they’ll have Nikita Nikitin on the roster at $ 4.5 M per.

What’s wrong with this picture?

That’s not good management at all. “One Step Up and Two Steps Back”

164. Kris11 says:

Petry deal will look like this, no?

RFA year: 3M
    UFA Year 1: 4.5 MM
    UFA Year 2: 5 MM

3 years, AAV of 4MM per.

Short term gives him options to hit the UFA market big will still in his prime after this deal. Cap hit is reasonable for the Oilers, especially given rising cap.

165. Kris11 says:

I mean a little over 4Mm

166. FastOil says:

Gerta Rauss:
    6 year cap penalty to buy out Ference guys, I doubt this happens anytime soon

Ference was MacT’s marquee signing last summer. Captain. Community presence.

He does also have great hair.

167. FastOil says:

Godot 10

“I am not an idiot”

FastOil

“I am”

168. FastOil says:

Jon K:

They need to remove the overpaid fringe players. Many have mentioned you can’t have bottom 6, backup goalies and 5-10 D making coin.

Fasth, Ference, Hendricks are stopping what needs to happen. They are too expensive to be roster bottom players. A GM is mandated to make his team better. It would be hard to be that bloodless, but then again, I don’t make 7 figures.

169. Chris Hext---formerly EasyOil--- says:

How big a deal is this “offensive zone penalty machine” thing with Pouliot?

A quick look on BtN tells me that Pouliot was tied for 89th in the league (out of the 449 players who played in a minimum of 60GP) in penalties taken at 0.9 per 60 mins. He’s in the upper echelon, yes, but nowhere near the top. He also drew penalties at exactly the same rate.

In the playoffs, he did raise that level considerably, presumably being what lead to this narrative (I didn’t get to watch much of this year’s playoffs). He took penalties at a rate of 1.9 per 60 minutes, good for 3rd in the league among the 130 players who played at least 10 games.

2012/13 Reg Season – 0.8/60 (tied for 150th out of 509 who had min. 30GP)
    2012/13 Playoffs – Pouliot with TBL, didn’t make playoffs.
    2011/12 Reg Season – 0.7/60 (tied for 165th out of 443 who had min 60GP)
    2011/12 Playoffs – 1.5/60 (tied for 40th out of 273 who had min. 5GP [Poo had 7GP])
    2010/11 Reg Season – 1.8/60 (5th out of 452 who had min. 60GP)
    2010/11 Playoffs – 3.2/60 (tied for 14th out of 339 who had min 1GP [Poo had 3GP - tiny sample])
    2009/10 Reg Season – 1.2/60 (tied for 84th out of 625 who had min. 30GP [Poo had 39GP]}
    2009/10 Playoffs – 0.9/60 (tied for 53rd out of 140 who had min. 10GP)

To me it looks like he had one crazy year with Montreal (10/11), but other than that isn’t what I’d term a “penalty machine”. He does admittedly look like he does it more in the playoffs, though that of course is a smaller sample.

So what is it, the timing of the penalties? Or is the whole thing overblown? Honest question.

170. TheNemesister says:

Long time lurker… Love the site LT.
    I just want to say…
    if we’re gonna trade Petry, he should be packaged with Perron & a pick (2016) for a signed Subban…
    The Habs love their frenchies & Petry plays toughs in the west, so he should be even better at it in that other conference… (at least that’s my sales pitch for Mactivity to use)
    BOOM! BOLD!
    edit: I love Petry & Perron, I would hate to see them go… but I think that’s the only way the Habs don’t hang up on us & yes, I’d offer the 2016 1st if we had to… which we would… plus more I presume… still worth it… & sorry but offer sheets are for weak GM’s with no Savvy ;)

171. mumbai max says:

Shultz, Eberle or Perron, and 2015 1st round pick (i know) for Subban. Add sugar to taste.

172. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 10m
    As of last night, Toronto among the interested teams awaiting word from David Legwand following contract offer.

173. Ducey says:

All these Subban suggestions are nuts. Webberesk, in fact. Can we stop with them?

To do it

a) we need to get our pick back from ANA to even do it (3rd rounder). Until you see that, it isn’t happening;
    b) he needs to sign the offer sheet and therefore must want to come here – that is generally a problem for most marquee guys;
    c) MTL will match anyway (they have more cap room that the Oilers) so you just piss off MTL and make MacT look desperate.
    d) take yourself out of strong draft (until the 4th round) and give up your 1st in 2016 to boot – creating a big hole in the rebuild.

The Penner offer sheet is part of the reason the Oilers suck. They could have had Myers and Hamonic.

It would improve the Oilers to maybe finishing 18th (moving up 10 spots)?

It is simply not worth the risks at this point.

174. Numenius says:

original31:

Finally they expand to 32 teams!

Never understood why we in the west had a better chance at making the playoffs

That’s a joke. They have Regina (!!) getting an NHL team.

175. mumbai max says:

Ducey:
    All these Subban suggestions are nuts.Webberesk, in fact.Can we stop with them?

To do it

a) we need to get our pick back from ANA to even do it (3rd rounder).Until you see that, it isn’t happening;

The Penner offer sheet is part of the reason the Oilers suck.They could have had Myers and Hamonic.

It would improve the Oilers to maybe finishing 18th (moving up 10 spots)?

It is simply not worth the risks at this point.

I was talking trade not offer sheet.

176. nycoil says:

Chris Hext—formerly EasyOil—,

Hey. I can answer that for you. Math won’t show it. We will all see this in action soon enough. Pouliot in his time with the Rangers and Bruins drove both fan bases mad because he takes a higher proportion of hooking, holding and tripping penalties (so-called “weak,” “lazy” penalties) and takes many of them in the offensive zone, rather than in the d-zone to prevent a scoring chance.

It is all “saw him good, saw him bad” narrative.
    But in Edmonton we have a fair share of the fan base that have hated and wanted Poti, Gilbert, Petry gone for similar skill sets (Big, skilled, can make a pass but doesn’t hit hard, turns the puck over(because they have it to begin with), takes ill-timed penalties, and shoots into the goalie’s crest or misses the net on prime scoring chances seemingly all the time.

Again, to be clear. I wanted him on the Oilers because I thought the math and possessiom stats showed he was undervalued. $4m x 5 years is not even close to undervalued. It is a huge overpay. I’d take Hemsky 10,000 times over him at the same cap hit. It’s all well and good to say the Oilers have to overpay people to come here, but there is a solid 15 year history now of sending away good players because they weren’t perfect and then bringing in other flawed players and repeating the process. The definition of insanity is?

I am just warning all Oiler fans to be prepared for what Pouliot brings. Unfortunately that contract brings a lot of expectations. Would love for him to deliver but he is 28 so I think we mostly know what kind of player he is: versatile, mobile possession winger who can play with skill at times and can play a checking role at times. If he were a baseball player he’d be A useful utility player that you want in the lineup everyday but mostly lower in the order unless one of your top of the order guys gets hurt or needs the night off.

177. GriffCity says:

Petry for Boychuk would be the best move the Oilers have done

178. Dicky94 says:

The one player I could see going in a trade for a center is Yak. Don t like the idea but kinda makes you wonder with bringing in Teddy. Package him with some prospects and keep Petry. Give Pitlick and even Chase a shot on the third line.