YOU CAN’T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT

The Edmonton Oilers are planning to address depth at center via the trade route, as Ryan Rishaug put the David Legwand rumors to rest late Thursday afternoon.

rishaug trade

So, we move on.

NAMES WE’VE HEARD

The Edmonton Oilers are a funny organization. They pride themselves on being smarter than everyone, have forever, and yet they also can’t keep quiet about what they have planned. The Oilers supply their fans with transactions, thrills and spills, but also a narrative that guides us through these events. They offer groups of options, we fasten ourselves to one possible solution, and then the Oilers drop the hammer and we either rejoice or throw ourselves overboard. It’s like Clue or Charades or a Poe story: you’re casting about for answers based on the narrator clues.

1. Brayden Schenn—He’s been thrown out to the fanbase for years now. Schenn is a former high draft pick who hasn’t blossomed in his time with the Flyers. Although originally drafted by the Kings, the recently signed Schenn may be an Oiler some time this summer.
  2. Josh Bailey—Bailey has been mentioned a number of times, most recently yesterday. He’s not really a center anymore, but the name keeps showing up on the Oilers wheel of meat, so he could be in Edmonton by summer’s end.
  3. Patrik Berglund—The drumbeats have been louder of late, I can’t see the Blues dealing him for picks and long range prospects. Edmonton doesn’t have a useful player who can be sent down for recall as required (beyond Marincin and Klefbom), I think that’s a likely barrier to a deal.
  4. Zack Smith—Travis Yost and I traded him to Edmonton several times.
  5. Cody Eakin—A fairly recent addition.
  6. Brandon Sutter—A two-way center we talked about during the Olympic break.
  7. Nazem Kadri—Less talk lately, but he’s certainly a quality player.
  8. Artem Anisimov—Perfect fit, more wishful thinking than actual rumor.
  9. Ryan Strome—Islanders are always in rumors, they trade away their young constantly.

Mark Arcobello looms large on this roster right now, either as a 2line C or 4line C or utility outfielder. I’d rather hire Loktionov (who we discussed yesterday) than pay a pretty penny for Josh Bailey. There’s a sense I get that Oiler fans are deathly afraid that we’ll begin the season Nuge-Arco-Dr. Drai-Gordon, but I’d rather begin the beguine addled than give up Jeff Petry for a bridge solution at center. The Oilers don’t NEED a 10-year answer to this question, they need the five years Jeff Petry has in front of him.

HEY BOGDAN!

yakimov twitter1I’m beginning to like this kid more. In an interview over at the Hockey Writers, Yakimov details his summer training and how he feels about Edmonton, the Oilers and the possibility of playing in the AHL this season. The AHL and the KHL are (imo) probably similar leagues in quality, so if we extrapolate Yak 2′s numbers over a complete AHL season, we get 76GP, 16-12-28 based on his Russian winter in 2013-14. I suspect he’ll score better than that, Bogdan wasn’t playing heavy minutes in the KHL. If we take his 9:32 and boost that by half again, we end up at 76GP, 24-18-42 for a full AHL season.

Nothing scientific there, but it gives us a little glance into what we might expect from him this coming season.

mact on nurseThat was Craig MacTavish before the draft this summer, and I’ll take him at his word here because it matches the Oilers established past. Much is being made of Nurse being sent down last year, breaking the chain of players who went from the draft podium to NHL ice. It’s not really a clear case of patience, because Nurse is a defender and that’s a tougher gig to suss out.

Joanne Ireland has a piece up at the EJ about Nurse and orientation camp. The young man wants it bad, I love seeing that in these prospects. He’s facing an uphill climb, and the organization has placed all of these obstacles in front of him. His reaction? Don’t care, I’m going to make them break my heart again.

• Nurse: “I’m close. For sure. I’ve been pushing myself this year to different lengths than I ever have.”

Love it! You keep pushing kid, give these old coaches and managers a real headache, make them fret about sending you back this time. I believe there’s a 9-game available to Darnell Nurse if he kicks out the jams during main camp and pre-season. More importantly, Darnell Nurse thinks he’s close. This is going to be one helluva training camp on the way.

nurse2

• Michael Parkatti on Nurse: “All you can really ask of your prospects is that they progress. I think it’s pretty obvious he progressed year over year. It’s probably a function of the opportunity he was given, he was playing behind some older players during his draft season. It’s good to see that he performed pretty well when given the chance. In terms of his chances, you have to look at the depth chart and think he has a shot here.”

The depth chart has changed since Parkatti said them on the Lowdown, but the thought still applies. The Edmonton Oilers didn’t bring Pronger in this summer, after all.

DIESEL

Poster Diesel was at the Orientation camp yesterday and posted the following comments. They are top drawer and a must-read:

• Spent the day in Jasper at the Orientation Camp. There’s a “Pray the Gay Away” joke there somewhere, but I’ll skip it and get to my observations.
  • I did not stand there making notes on each player, as there are simply too many skaters and not enough time to develop much of an opinion. Instead I focused on The Saddle, Nurse, Khaira, Roy, and Houck. If anyone has any questions about a particular player I can reach into the ol’ thinkbox and see of anything is still rattling around.
  • The first player I watched intently was (surprise!) The Saddle. First impression: My girlfriend and I could have a proper candlelight dinner while sitting across his shoulders. I initially thought he might be a bit top heavy until I saw him on the bike afterwards. He has the legs to match – just a nice thick build that may play a major part in getting him through the gauntlet this year.
  • He was definitely full of nerves for the first several drills. Although he did improve over the course of the 2.5 hour session, I don’t think he quite reached a comfort level that was conducive to putting himself on display to an anxious onlooker like myself. He even looked a bit frustrated with himself at one point. This is all very understandable for a player in his circumstance, not to mention I’m not sure when he was last able to skate. Likely had some rust in there too. That being said, a few things were still noticeable. His straight line skating is certainly an area for improvement. He has a wide set stance that looks like he’s sitting in a… well, saddle. In contrast to his straight like skating that looks a bit clumsy, his footwork in close quarters (especially with the puck) is quite slick and agile. He’s able to pick up a puck that is rimmed around the boards with a remarkable little spin move that has him advancing to the net in the blink of an eye. He made use of that a few times as he intercepted a few outlet attempts. His finish in tight is also elite. Great hands in a breakaway/shootout scenario.
  • The next player I noticed was for all the wrong reasons. Jackson Houck. His skating below average in the group, his shot rarely on target and with little pace, and in general looked quite out of place at times. To be fair, he may have jitters and rust too, or any player for that matter. Although I left with a pretty unimpressed opinion of him, maybe it was just a bad day.
  • Marco Roy has an absolute laser of a snapshot. And deadly accurate. If you give him an attempt on net within 25 feet there’s a pretty good chance it’s clipping the bar/post and going in before the goalie can properly react. 2 on 1 situations he’s shoots 9 times out of 10 and is rewarded for it. Needs a Nuge to give him endless looks.
  • Khaira is an absolute monster and is far too much to handle for almost every opponent he had in a battle scenario. I watched him at last years camp as well, so it’s not just a shiny new toy situation. He definitely put on more weight. If you tried to bump/pin him near the wall, he either smashed his backside or shoulder into you and gained a step to the net, or he absorbed the bump and employed some very slick hands to get the puck to a quick shooting position. If you got tired of this or tried to cheat to the outside, he had shades of Eberle with a quick and effective pull to the middle and before you realized he was around you. I was honestly shocked at the combination of brute force, positioning, and hand speed. On top of that, he can one time a puck in close and deflect shots like a pro. He has all the tools to be a skilled power forward – and soon.
  • Darnell Nurse has left the NHL honeymoon glow in the dust. This guy is through with making friends and being happy to have stepped out of junior. I am more enamored with him than I ever have been, and you need to UP your expectations. He was nasty, nasty, nasty. Reminded me of the “fuck you, pay me” lines from Ray Liotta in Goodfellas. Want to cycle the puck in my end? Fuck you, pay me. Want to take the puck to the net? Fuck you, pay me. You want that rebound? Fuck you, pay me. Screen my goalie? FYPM. He single handedly upped the intensity of the whole group, and I guarantee you there are several skaters who can’t connect the dots between his off-ice persona and his on-ice attitude. At the other end of the ice, he made very heady plays straddling the blue line. His instincts to use the cannon, the jultz, or thread a pass were more evident than before. He’s also filled out quite a bit. From a distance I had a hard time distinguishing him and Khaira. I suspect he is 75-85% seasoned. Anyone order a Chris Pronger?

roy capture

My sincere thanks to Diesel, that’s outstanding. No Lowdown today, but I will be filling in for Dave Jamieson noon to 2 this afternoon. Jonathan Willis will be a guest, and Steve Lansky will be by as well. The rest of the lineup is a moving target, but we’ll talk World Cup, Wimbledon and Eskimos among other things.

TSN 1260, noon.

186 Responses to "YOU CAN’T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT"

1. Frank the dog says:

“Fuck you, Pay Me” That needs to be 2014 slogan for the whole team. Fuck you. Pay me.

Edit: As in, fuck you for taking the puck into my end, now you pay. May come back in player contract negotiations at seasons end though.

2. Jordan says:

Frank the dog:
    “Fuck you, Pay Me”

What is the exact quote from Jeff Petry’s initial contract offer in negotiations with Craig MacTavish, Alex.

I’ll take Famous Titles for 800.

3. Rondo says:

When Dallas Eakins says their need to be competition, I think of Leon D , he has only had 2 years of real competition . His upside could be huge.

4. Marcus Oilerius says:

Thrilled to read the news about Khaira and Nurse. I wonder if Khaira may be a call-up this season. Last year at rookie camp he looked solid, but behind the pace of the pros.

5. Frank the dog says:

Rondo:
    Frank the dog,

I had looked that up while researching prior to my post, but the attitude I was thinking of is making opponents pay for trying to cycle the puck, screen the goaltender, etc.
    A bit more aggressive than “Hew Wood, Draw Water” . But yeah I can also see Petry and others adopting that in their contract negotiations.

6. HallDown says:

Based on recent history, I’m guessing MacT’s solution for C will be something nobody expected. Did anyone see the Purcell trade coming? I didn’t, and I didn’t see the Pouliot signing coming either. Everyone was talking Winnik or Kulemin or Moss.

Reading about Nurse and Draisaitl regurgitates my frustration about this CHL agreement. They should be playing in OKC this fall with men, not having to choose between going back to Kid League- where they have nothing left to prove- or the big giant NHL. There should be a First Round exemption or something. The rule is great for the business of the WHL, but it’s not serving the kids’ best interest. Draisaitl could play half a season in OKC, and then make the jump. Nurse could play there now and be an Oiler at least a full year earlier. The rule should be, “when they’re ready,they’re ready” and not “he’s ready, but the contract clearly states..” Total BS.

7. nqmt says:

I’m dumb…who is he referring to when he says “The Saddle”?

8. Marcus Oilerius says:

nqmt:
    I’m dumb…who is he referring to when he says “The Saddle”?

Draisaitl. It’s not the vest nickname, imo.

9. OilFire says:

nqmt:
    I’m dumb…who is he referring to when he says “The Saddle”?

As Marcus says, it’s Draisaitl. Apparently to correct pronunciation is pretty close to dry-saddle.

11. Death By Misadventure says:

I’m with you LT. Was listening to your show yesterday and nearly had coffee come out of my nose when you read the Action Saxon text.

I guess one has to be of a certain vintage to appreciate that one. Also, kinda obscure to begin with.

12. OilClog says:

If I can share a dinner across his shoulders

And there needs to be some sort or German reference..

And Erhoff already has the Hoff down..

How about.. Baywatch.

13. Romulus Apotheosis says:

German diphthongs (pairs of vowels) often result in strong, stand out sounds.

For example, the common pairings of the letters “e” and “i” almost always lead to the strong sound of the latter letter.

That is, “frei” = “fr-eye” with a strong “I” sound.

and Tobias “Rieder” = R-EE-der” with a strong “E” sound.

Draisaitl, “ai” = “EYE” or “I”

Dr-EYE-ss-EYE-tl

so, EYE-tl, not AH-tl

14. OilClog says:

He came in Large, Bronzed, Shiney, and saving lives

Baywatch

15. ironsight says:

Another thing to keep in mind when projecting out Yakimov’s offense is his splits:

ES – 6-4-10
    PP – 1-1-2
    SH – 0-0-0

He missed 8 games on account of the WJHC, returned for 2 games in which he scored 1-1-2 and averaged over 16:00 of TOI in each, and then missed the remainder of the regular season and start of the playoffs with what looks to be an injury. He returned for 2 playoff games where he recorded an assist in an average of 11:00 TOI.

If the kid is given a PP push in OKC along with top 6 minutes, his point production should (hopefully) take off.

16. Henry says:

That Khaira report made my morning. I want to see the Barons this year and am more than pissed that the Aeros moved out of town. Nelson is good at seasoning defensemen. He has two centres to build into monsters.

Diesel, if you are out there, thanks.

17. Henry says:

LT:

With Boston’s cap situation you have to think that Chris Kelley is available for magic beans allowing us to keep Petry. Is he good enough to make your list of possibilities?

Is Peter Mueller?

Josh Bailey is too small to play center in this division and help more than Arco.

18. Ducey says:

Lowetide: I like Dr. Drai, although it’s not in my wheelhouse. Action Saxon is so cool, but doesn’t seem to be catching on.

How about “Leon”? There are no other Leon’s in the NHL currently and none that have been recently. Can’t be much doubt about who you are talking about.

If he lights it up, he can become Neon Leon.

19. Frank the dog says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    German diphthongs (pairs of vowels) often result in strong, stand out sounds.

That is, “frei” = “fr-eye” with a strong “I” sound.

and Tobias “Rieder” = R-EE-der” with a strong “E” sound.

Draisaitl, “ai” = “EYE” or “I”

Dr-EYE-ss-EYE-tl

so, EYE-tl, not AH-tl

Is German Dipthongs a Teutonic Baywatch? :)

20. PunkInDrublic says:

Just like Magnus was Maggie, and Hall is Hallsy, I think Draisaitl may end up being Sadie, Drai, or Leo, although none are overly clever.

21. wintoon says:

Given that Leon Draisaitl was the third overall pick in this years draft and is German, the nickname for him should be Drei, which in German means thrree. Somehow it seems totally appropriate and is easy to use. Thoughts?

22. Saul Goodman says:

Wonder if MacT has a “Jim Nill” trade up his sleves?

Ryan Johansen talked are stalling, lets hope Howsen can convince Kerkalinen;
    Perron or Yak, Klefbom or Marincin + something small.

23. Hammers says:

If accurate the news on first Nurse may let McT trade Petry . Not really the right thing to do but Nurse may force someone out . Marincin / Schultz ; Nurse / Fayne ; Ference / Nititkin ; Aulie . Yak2 may have a good chance for call up this season . Leon may just make the grade and it won’t surprise me at all . As for Kahairiy , would be great to see him push through . Pitlick better come to camp in the best shape his ever been in as he may be gone .Injuries are still an equalizer for so many young players .

24. Ducey says:

LT, if you are trading for Zach Smith, get the Sens to throw in Patrick Wiercioch.

They apparently don’t like him but the fancy stats do, as does Yost:

Travis Yost‏@TravisHeHateMe ·
    Last three years (1000+ TOI), there are five defensemen who have a better per-sixty scoring rate and Corsi% than Patrick Wiercioch. Five.

Petry and a second for Smith and Wiercioch.

25. steveb12344 says:

wintoon:

That’s awesome. Nice catch.

Dr. Drei it should be then. At least I like it anyways, fwiw.

26. Marcus Oilerius says:

PunkInDrublic:

Good grief. The NHL should be embarrassed. This completely uncreative conservatism is befitting of the North Korean bureaucracy.

27. Pouzar says:

Getting to follow Khaira and Bogdan down on the farm will be pure bliss. I am looking forward to that as much as anything.

Neal L. was/is real High on Air Khaira!

28. Pouzar says:

Well scratch another one off the list…

Renaud Lavoie ‏@renlavoietva 12m
    Flyers signed Chris VandeVelde. One year contract at $575 000. (2 way)

29. su_dhillon says:

I endorse any and all Henry Hill lines so I am definitely down with Fuck You Pay Me, nice report there by Diesel.

If Nurse or Klef force anyone off this roster it should be Schultz not Petry because regardless of how good they look in training camp there is no way they are going to be ready to play the toughs and neither is Schultz so really they are all competing for those easy minutes. Only way I deal Petry is if its Petry + for a top pairing Dman.

30. admiralmark says:

Khaira=Kesler in next couple years. Every time i see him play i keep seeing a lot of Kesler in his style of play.

31. OilFire says:

PunkInDrublic: Hallsy

Good point. Usually the first syllable of the last name gets picked up. That makes it most likely that Drey sticks. Hope so, as that leads to the obvious Dr. in front.

Clever nicknames never seem to get picked though… I waited for years for our d-man with reasonable passing skills and the just-too-perfect lastname of Petry to get nicknamed “Dish”

32. blainer says:

I think Khaira was a sleeper in his draft year and is gonna be a great find for our division. Very impressed with the report on Nurse…sounds like he is on a mission to make the team…probably pissed about the moves that were made during FA…All the players better be ready to compete for a change..JJ and Yak2 can’t get here fast here fast enough..hope they develop fast in the A…

33. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Pouzar:
    Well scratch another one off the list…

Renaud Lavoie ‏@renlavoietva12m
    Flyers signed Chris VandeVelde. One year contract at $575 000. (2 way)

ha! called that the other day when they signed Storts. Knew they would re-up CVDV

34. PaperDesigner says:

Pouzar:
    Well scratch another one off the list…

Renaud Lavoie ‏@renlavoietva12m
    Flyers signed Chris VandeVelde. One year contract at $575 000. (2 way)

Curses! Our second line solution, gone!

35. Kert says:

Bohologo: Anyone else think Leon should go and play in the German senior league instead of Prince Albert?

Certainly fits with the “Fuck you, pay me.” theme. :)
    Sadly, the current state of the center depth chart suggests he’s 3C with some 2PP time in Edmonton.
    If the depth gets addressed, it’s possible one of the European leagues makes sense. Is it more important to have him learning North American systems or playing against men? Is there evidence of either being more effective?

36. VanOil says:

Diesel,

Could you please comment on the German Cowboy’s stick. Is a Smyty like Canue paddle blade evident or is a figment of my imagination?

Thank you for reporting.

37. RexLibris says:

Pouzar:
    Well scratch another one off the list…

Renaud Lavoie ‏@renlavoietva12m
    Flyers signed Chris VandeVelde. One year contract at $575 000. (2 way)

Well, they hardly need Couturier now then, do they?

Meh, give them Lander and a conditional 3rd round pick.

38. Numenius says:

PunkInDrublic:

Like Hallsy, it’ll likely be “Draisy”.

39. TheOtherJohn says:

“The Edmonton Oilers are a funny organization. They pride themselves on being smarter than everyone, have forever, and yet they also can’t keep quiet about what they have planned”

Agree with you completely re: above. No bleeping clue how Oilers with their record since 2000 could believe they are the smartest organization in hockey but theycertainly do.

Thank you Diesel for the report from Jasper

After reading his report I am very very optimistic that everyone will have a really strong CHL/ AHL 14/15 campaign. Can’t wait for amny of these top prospects to force their way onto the Oiler roster. Is this coming season to early for some? I assume by next year a handful of Dreisatl, Nurse, Roy, Kheira, Chase, Musil, Gernat & Simpson will all be with the NHL team

40. RexLibris says:

VanOil:
    Diesel,

Thank you for reporting.

I bet it is carved from a solid piece of Oak, a tree sacred to his ancestors.

41. thejonrmcleod says:

I think it would be easier to come up with a nickname for Draisaitl based on his first name.

Leon the Large (needs to still grow a bit)
    The Lion (unoriginal)
    The Roar (the name “Leon” means “lion”)
    The Predator
    The Big Cat (unoriginal)

42. Numenius says:

If anyone, the D who should and possibly could be traded for a 2C is Nikitin, especially since his cap hit would make room for it.

It would leave the left defence a bit weak, but that may be better than leaving C weak, especially since left defence is where there are the most quality potential replacements (e.g. Aulie, Nurse, Klefbom).

The main problem is that it’d be a pretty asshole thing to do after going after him so hard.

43. Younger Oil says:

The more I think about it, the more that using Lecavalier to get a discount on Couturier makes sense to me. Philly definitely needs to get cap space, and likely the Lecavalier contract is what they want to get rid of.

I’m still not too sure how compliance buyouts work, but I wonder if we could use Couturier as a 2C and Lecavalier as a 3C next year to keep Draisaitl in jr for another year, then use our last compliance buyout on Lecavalier next summer (though I’m not sure if we’d be allowed to do that). Not sure if there’s a way for Philly to retain salary on one year of his deal as well, but if that’s possible, that would be ideal.

Though his contract is horrible and his play is declining, he could probably still get 30-40 points on a sheltered 3rd line, and play at a similar level to a rookie Draisaitl.

Not sure what we would have to give up to get that deal done, but if the compliance buyout in the next year is possible, it would definitely be worth looking into IMO. Because getting Couturier would be music.

44. Lynas1 says:

PunkInDrublic:

Hockey players always come up with the least imaginative nicknames. :(

45. Ice Sage says:

Numenius: Like Hallsy, it’ll likely be “Draisy”.

And when he owns the puck like a Sedin, LT will call him ‘Draisycutter’?

46. John Chambers says:

thejonrmcleod,

The King of Leon

47. steveb12344 says:

thejonrmcleod:

Leon the Large (needs to still grow a bit)
    The Lion (unoriginal)
    The Roar (the name “Leon” means “lion”)
    The Predator
    The Big Cat (unoriginal)

Well let’s hope that one day we can say he’s earned the name “Lionheart”

This would be huge for the team.

48. Lynas1 says:

Fantastic read from both LT and Diesel. I’ve been a fan of Khaira since day one, and I’m always glad to hear of development. Same for Nurse.

49. VanOil says:

For those linguistic minded denizens of this corner of the internet; a linguistic guide to the Scottish referendum. http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-28088409

My personal favorite: Cybernat

50. John Chambers says:

Bohologo,

I think NHL teams should make partnerships with European teams, say in Sweden and Fin where you can send good CHL players to make coin and play against men.

Linkoping could potentially ice Draisaitl, Nurse, and possibly Roy and Chase for a few years until they’re ready to join the AHL team for the playoff run.

51. YoungOil says:

Younger Oil:

I don’t think the compliance buyout window extends to next year. Most likely it was just June 2013 and 2014. (I may be wrong but, this is the sense I get from capgeek)

Getting something for Lecavalier makes a lot of sense, but I doubt Philly lets go of 2 of their top 4 centres in one trade. However, would including a center back (like arcobello for example) change it?

Arco + 2nd for Couturier, Lecavalier?

Edit: Just spitballing here, but we’d be over the cap with Petry and Schultz to sign, so most likely we have to buy out Lecavalier. Arco + 2nd for Couturier. the difference is made up by taking Lecavalier off Philly’s hands.

52. AZOIL says:

Legwand to Ottawa. 2 years.

53. YoungOil says:

AZOIL:
    Legwand to Ottawa. 2 years.

2 Years, 3 Mil per

54. slopitch says:

John Chambers,

Ya I like that idea. HV71 is a perennial contender though. Might be a better fit for the weaker SEL teams.

I’m fine losing out on Legwand, just don’t trade Petry!

55. slopitch says:

Im actually fine trading Petry for a legit 2C, although the problem is you address one need and create another. Seems lateral…

56. RexLibris says:

Each team was provided with two compliance buyouts at the beginning of the current CBA, to be used up to the close of the buyout window of this summer.

I believe warnings were also given to the teams to avoid looking for loopholes by trading to acquire players for the sole purpose of using a compliance buyout, essentially putting a bona fides restriction on their use.

57. KSC10032 says:

YoungOil,

Hmmm,…

This contract, for Legwand, and this destination would seem to lend credence to Rishaug’s “lukewarm” commentary of yesterday. He will bat higher up the order in OTT.

Stay tuned.

58. HallDown says:

59. Henry says:

slopitch,

It’s worse than a lateral move, it’s foolhardy. He’s the best D on the team and there is no depth on the right side, all the upcomers are LHD. Just opens another hole they are trying to fix with Nikitin. When Fayne pulls a groin, they are putting a rookie way out of position and leading the league in GAA again.

Lecavalier isn’t eligible for a compliance buyout, only a regular buyout, since his contract was signed after the new CBA.

It is also an expensive buyout, since he has $2.5 million in signing bonuses, which have to be paid out at 100%.

61. Ducey says:

Legwand to OTT. 2 yrs $3 million per

62. admiralmark says:

Legwand at 3 Mill/per X 2 would of been perfect. Thats a miss by MacT imo.

63. Kris11 says:

LD nickname: Funkatron.

64. KSC10032 says:

HallDown: Ryan Rishaug at TSN 1260 saying Petry and a 2nd rounder is the package EDM might be offering for a Center. Frankly, I’d rather put Draisaitl at 2C and keep our deep new D intact. Not like we’ll be in the SCF this year. If I’m MacT, the only pieces I’m offering are draft picks and prospects not named Nurse or Klefbom or “Dr. Drei.”

I’d certainly agree here, with the natural caveat that if we are talking about someone higher up the food chain than what’s been discussed thus far, then,…

65. RexLibris says:

Jokinen for 2.5 million, Legwand for 3.

Have to run with Arcobello now, or trade some prospects/picks for a passable 2C.

Based on the C depth bubbling under, I’d run with Arcobello and see how the season progresses.

Some GM could find himself between a rock and a hard place and look for a trade.

66. HallDown says:

godot10:

Hextall paid out that bonus on July 1st.

67. Henry says:

admiralmark,

Yes you are right. I read 3 years at first. MacT could have offered that and likely a bit more money.

68. KSC10032 says:

admiralmark: Legwand at 3 Mill/per X 2 would of been perfect. Thats a miss by MacT imo.

This presumes that any offer was made, that Legwand would come here for the same offer, that Legwand would come here at all, and/or, that the Oilers were even all that interested (per Rishaug, yesterday), etc.

Its not necessarily a “fail” for MacTavish. Too many variables exist for that to be the only possible conclusion.

MacT will ruin much of the good work he has done this summer if he trades Petry, and recreates the hole on defense.

One can sign Petry and he will still be tradeable.

Petry (and Lander) for Brock Nelson (and Josh Bailey) makes some sense for both teams if MacT is intent on the massive #FAIL. Snow could use another D.

HallDown: Hextall paid out that bonus on July 1st.

It was $4.5 million on June 30 in signing bonuses left. $2.5 million in signing bonuses left on July 2.
    I subtracted the $2 million paid on July 1.

71. RexLibris says:

Draisaitl must be celebrating. Germany 1 France 0.

72. Jordan says:

admiralmark:
    Legwand at 3 Mill/per X 2 would of been perfect. Thats a miss by MacT imo.

73. admiralmark says:

KSC10032

True but we do some speculating here.. and the price tag is low enough to presume they took a pass or were “lukewarm” on the idea. And it’s hard to imagine many players choosing Ottawa right now considering the ownership there.

Perhaps they have other plans in the works. But if the plan is to run Arco and Draisaitl at the 2/3 C positions on this team i stand by my fail comment.

74. VanOil says:

Given the early size reports from Diesel, Draisaitl is not ‘the saddle’ but the whole damn horse. Das Hörse.

75. Loweblow says:

Having watched the Baron games and talk to a few Baron fans & Bloggers we came to the same conclusion on Nurse. He’s not close to being ready, ridiculous to think so. Nurse has all the skills, great puck handler, excellent skater, but defensively he sucks. He lost battles in the corner, or was knocked to his butt all too often. In one period Nelson even sat him. The only time he excelled with the Barons is when they played 4on4 in overtime. I understand he has put on around 15-20lbs since he played, mostly building up his lower body.which is great because he looked like a beanpole in OKC. Irresponsible to have people believe he has a chance. Yes it was a small sample in the AHL, but it was enough to show his poor defensive skills, it needs work and another year in the OHL will do him good.

Loweblow:
    Having watched the Baron games and talk to a few Baron fans & Bloggers we came to the same conclusion on Nurse. He’s not close to being ready, ridiculous to think so. Nurse has all the skills, great puck handler, excellent skater, but defensively he sucks. He lost battles in the corner, or was knocked to hisbutt all too often. In one period Nelson even sat him. The only time he excelled with the Barons is when they played 4on4 in overtime. I understand he has put on around 15-20lbs since he played, mostly building up his lower body.which is great because he looked like a beanpole in OKC. Irresponsible to have people believe he has a chance.Yes it was a small sample in the AHL, but it was enough to show his poor defensive skills, it needs work and another year in the OHL will do him good.

Meh. You’re talking end of season and playoffs against Texas. Let’s see him in the fall.

77. OilClog says:

At this point.. Arco brings what a run down Legwand or Jokinen would of brought plus he’ll probably lead us in hits again! Lol

Just from the looks of what MacT is doing.. Who is the man in the middle they view in the same light as Purcell?

Carolina, and San Jose are yet to make those big moves they’ve been talking about. I can’t see them sending Big Joe here, but what about a Stall?

78. Jon K says:

Loweblow:

Well, let’s wait and see how he is in the fall. I absolutely agree with you about how his defensive game needs significant refinement still. Another year in SSM can only benefit him.

79. Bank Shot says:

Lynas1: Hockey players always come up with the least imaginative nicknames.

Probably because yelling out “Panzer Mark Seven!” is too difficult when you are trying to call for a pass.

Really disappointed about the miss on Legwand and all of the decent available centers.

Now if Mact wishes to make a trade he’s doing it from a position of weakness as the whole world knows the Oilers need centers, except probably the Oilers.

I bet we start hearing about how everyone is asking for “crazy” value for a center, and then we start seeing some articles about how meaty Draisaitl is looking, and how great he looks in development camp.

I’m now expecting Drai to break camp as the number two center, and the Oilers to flush another season before it has begun.

yay.

80. KSC10032 says:

admiralmark,

And, that is largely what I’m saying. The other shoe has to drop before we make any conclusion.

Jordan: A miss… a miss is going to pick up some beer for a friend and getting his 3rd favourite kind because it’s what you last saw him drinking.This is like being asked specifically to pick up some Oban because it’s on sale, and deciding that since he’s looking for something cheap you’ll pick up a case of Jim Beam instead. Sure it costs more overall, but you’ve got more to enjoy! D=Very interested to hear what the Oilers offered, because right now, this looks pretty bad (imho).

This comment supposes that the Oilers made any offer at all. They may well not have. Its completely plausible that the Oilers decided that Legwand has too many miles on the ododmeter for their liking, or they otherwise don’t see a fit. I’m NOT necessarily saying they are correct in such an assessment (if indeed its been made). I’m not qualified to make such a judgment, and will defer to others with more knowledge and background in current NHL affairs.

IF we presume Rishaug’s tweet of yesterday has some basis in fact, and is not just second/third hand speculation, the Oilers may be focused on a trade option for something other than a bridge centre, given the speculated Petry and a second package.

Now if they move Petry for an older short-term centre solution that is — by consensus — not significantly better than Legwand/Jokinen/Roy/etc. then I’ll sign up to the “nuclear fail” club.

81. Diesel says:

RexLibris: I bet it is carved from a solid piece of Oak, a tree sacred to his ancestors.

This is true. The German Oak is the national tree of Germany and is a highly valued military recognition symbol as well.

Leon “The Cask” Draisaitl.

Crafted of fine German Oak – a thick, bulbous build. Sure to contain a heady, aromatic spectrum of (hopefully) aged spirit.

82. Loweblow says:

A little lost here, where is Nurse going to gain these defensive skills he lacks during the summer.

Loweblow:

I’m on the air, will address later

84. Ducey says:

Legwand: DET traded a 2nd, a decent prospect and Eaves (salary dump) for him at the deadline. They obviously didn’t like what they saw, as they don’t tend to flush picks and prospects for nothing, and they have the Cap room to have signed him.

It would have been nice to sew up the lineup early in the summer, but the reality is that there are lots of moves to be made by most teams. Using up the last bit of Cap space on Legwand would limit MacT’s options very early in the summer. Having Arco and Leon to fall back on means he doesn’t have to do anything at this point.

The Oilers have 46 spots used on the 50 man (assuming Nurse gets farmed, Leon and the RFA’s are signed). We can expect at least 2 more signings to fill out the farm and add depth.

85. admiralmark says:

KSC10032:

True it’s early I guess i’m assuming that Draisaitl is the long term plan at 1 or 2C. And that route would lead one to think that a stop Gap 2C to eventually slide to 3C should be the route to consider even on an overpay. I would rather they do that then trade a Petry ++ for a Long term 2C considering the hole he would leave. But as you say we will find out shortly exactly what route they have decided to go.

86. Pouzar says:

RE: Leon Nickname

In honor of Diesel’s scouting report: “Das Auto”

87. AZOIL says:

admiralmark,

You guys can’t call everything by MacT a miss when you don’t have all the pieces of the puzzle. No offense, but we don’t know what MacT is dealing with as options? Legwand it sounds like had no interest in Edmonton, so it can’t be a miss if the guy wouldn’t even entertain the thought. MacT has done an awesome job thus far with what he is given as far as a not so popular FA destination, so bravo MacT.

88. bry_oil says:

Hey LT,
    Long time reader and listener but first time commenting; Just want to comment on how great your blog and radio shows are.

Do you ever see a time when NHL teams will be able to designate one of their prospects with “exceptional status” to a player (say 1 player per team) in Junior so that they can let him play in the AHL? Would be helpful to quite a few of the top prospects that are too good for Junior (Nurse, Dry Saddle, and Drouin last year for examples)

89. Kris11 says:

If the Oilers are into possession numbers, who would the 2Cs that they would like to acquire be?

Also, Just to frighten everyone, I would say Yak is very much in play on the trade market. Not just Petry.

bry_oil:
    Hey LT,

Do you ever see a time when NHL teams will be able to designate one of their prospects with “exceptional status” to a player (say 1 player per team)in Junior so that they can let him play in the AHL? Would be helpful to quite a few of the top prospects that are too good for Junior (Nurse, Dry Saddle, and Drouin last year for examples)

God I hope so. If you’re Bry-Oil from HF, hi!!!

91. Kris11 says:

I’d say Nurse is unlikely to make it, even without Petry in the lineup.

Klefbom being slotted in top 4 and Aulie bottom pair is what we are likely to see, IMO, if Petry is moved.

92. Marcus Oilerius says:

Kris11:
    I’d say Nurse is unlikely to make it, even without Petry in the lineup.

Nurse doesn’t make it because he shoots left and his decision making is questionable.

93. Marcus Oilerius says:

Pouzar:
    RE: Leon Nickname

In honor of Diesel’s scouting report: “Das Auto”

Das ist verboten.

VW is probably the most unreliable European car brand sold here.

94. book¡je says:

Ok, I got it, Draisaitl sounds kind of like Drei, which as someone pointed out is 3 in German which is where was drafted. Three is nearly the number of members of the band ‘Kings of Leon’ which is like his first name. This sounds a lot like León which is a City in Spain which once had a King. It is also the name of a movie, ‘León: The Professional’ and Draisaitl is trying to be a professional hockey player. Gene Wilder starred in the movie ‘León: The Professional’ and also starred in Willie Wonka & the Chocolate Factory which starred Rusty Goffe who starred in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows with Gary Oldman who starred in Blazing Saddles, which sounds kind of like his last name. Blazing Saddles was one of the movies that was eligible for an Oscar in 1974 and Oscar is the name of Oscar Klefbom who Draisaitl may play with. The movie that won the best picture in 1974 was ‘The Sting’ which is the same phrase used by the FBI when they are trying to capture someone. The FBI is an organization that observes a lot of people. By observing people and examining their past behaviour, it is possible to predict their future behaviour (to a degree). Through using this skill on the Oilers, its pretty easy to see that despite all of the awesome inventiveness of everyone here, Leon Draisaitl is going to be nicknamed ‘Leo’ or ‘Drais’.

95. bry_oil says:

sorry to get your hopes up haha, not the same one.

96. Bag of Pucks says:

On the FA front, it looks like Ribiero (with an iron clad morals clause in his contract) is the best of the available options now.

Win/win for the org. He can put up points as the 2C bandaid and serve as a cautionary tale to the young core on how NOT to manage your life outside the rink.

If you’re a local bar owner, you have to be salivating at the prospect of Ribiero on the team. He’s got Norm Peterson bar tab written all over him.

bry_oil:

sorry to get your hopes up haha, not the same one.

That’s okay, welcome!

98. rickithebear says:

When you look at the decline of RSL standard.
    ther is a saturation from Finland .55 League.
    AHL/ low TOI NHLplayers
    and Addition of
    Czech league and Non Russian hockey oblasts.

Two of the divisions(kharlamov/Tarasov) are made up of RSL teams with Finnish and Czech Saturation and
    2 divisions (bobrov/Cheryshev) from
    Czech league and non russian oblast countries.

The top 2 divisions reflect .77 NHLE by history and Fin/czech sturation
    and the other divisions reflect .65 NHLE.

The AHL was a .55 NHLE league.

Yakimov played in the divisions with the Russian hockey oblast teams
    would at least expect a .77 NHLE mequivalancy

So I take his NHLE with incresed TOI to be:

33gm 6EVG 1PPG 5EVA 9:55 TOI
    With a goal being scored in half the timeon PP. would expect his PP TOI to be .5/6.5 = 7.7% PPTOI

His actual EVTOI should be 9:09
    with a conference equivalency of .77

i would expect a jump in TOI depending on wether he plays with Hal-Yak
    or Pouliot.

The likely jump is to 12:30 EV TOI
    A 36.6% increase.
    If he shows the same defensive acumen and 59% FO%
    he will get further TOI with Extensive DZ time.

With added TOI 82 gm and .77 NHLE
    he reflects a 29 EVP season @ 20
    82gm 15EVG and 14 EVA.
    Which is equal to gagner at his even best.
    But this guy Bigger; Stronger; Scores at a better EVG rate and is strong on the Dot.

13-14:
    M. Richard 27 EVP 6 ESG
    Kruger 27 EVP 8 EVG
    Kesler 26 EVP 15 EVG
    Henrique 26 EVP 15 EVG
    J. Staal 26 EVP 12 EVG

No wonder he was part of the
    special 18 year old group from russia.
    He better get a shot in camp!

99. A'bunadh says:

I’m a little disappointed the Oil didn’t go after Legwand a bit harder. 2ys @ $3m would have been an ideal situation for us. With the way the Oilers handled (screwed) Arco last year I don’t think there is any way they’d be comfortable slotting him in as a 2C this year. I think Petry is as good as gone and that scares me because like a lot of fans, I don’t think management values Petry as much as they should and I see us losing whatever trade happens with him.

100. HiddenDarts says:

Wow. These nicknames keep getting worse. Please. Stop. Now.

101. bendelson says:

book¡je,

What in the wide, wide world of sports are you talking about?

102. smellyglove says:

Comrade Horcov would sure look good in that #2/3 Center spot. 1 step forward and two steps back!

MacT: do not trade Petry to fill that hole. While we’re a step above the handful of bottom pairing D from last year, the Oilers are not in the position to be trading players like Petry. Unless it’s a significant upgrade at that position. Any veteran RHD with contract issues these days?

103. "Steve Smith" says:

VanOil:

I like that as a nickname, just because, of all the German words I know, that one yields maybe the most amusing results when its pronunciation is anglicized.

Edit: According to Google Translate, it’s “das Pferd”.

Ducey:
    Legwand:DET traded a 2nd, a decent prospect and Eaves (salary dump) for him at the deadline.They obviously didn’t like what they saw, as they don’t tend to flush picks and prospects for nothing, and they have the Cap room to have signed him.

Caveats:

Detroit didn’t want to flush the season.

They have Weiss coming back from injury signed for slightly large dollars and too long a term.

105. GriffCity says:

A’bunadh,

Dont worry A’BUNDA, Petry is much worse than you think he is and moving him now after being “showcased” last season is the best move for this hockey club. His value may never be as substantial as it sits right now and we NEED a second line centre more than we do a soft defenseman who cant handle the big competition physically.

If Petry goes elsewhere and has crazy success I will gladly eat my words. If i was a betting man, id say he gets pushed down through most other NHL line ups and eventually ends up in a Tom Gilbert type situation.

He stinks, move him.

Loweblow:

The late season race to the playoffs and the playoffs was AHL-plus hockey. Full intensity and pressure out of the gate.

Nurse has about 10 games of experience and the game tapes to study about what he did right and wrong.

I doubt he pulled an “overconfidentrookieEakins” and didn’t/won’t watch a minute of game tape during the summer.

107. "Steve Smith" says:

GriffCity:
    A’bunadh, If i was a betting man, id say he gets pushed down through most other NHL line ups and eventually ends up in a Tom Gilbert type situation.

He stinks, move him.

I do not think that “Tom Gilbert” means what you think that it means.

108. Rebilled says:

The Edmonton Oilers are a funny organizized.

Just with less desperation and Eakins style push-ups.

109. Dicky94 says:

HiddenDarts,

A’bunadh,

They didn’t go after Legwand because they have obviously got something better planned in a trade. To not throw crazy money at some of the available u f a centres, they must have had talks with other teams before free agency to see who was available. Might not have to give up much for teams that have no cap room. I think there will be a lot of player movement in the next couple weeks.

110. Numenius says:

admiralmark:
    Legwand at 3 Mill/per X 2 would of been perfect. Thats a miss by MacT imo.

Wouldn’t have worked for the 2nd year due to cap space. 1 year was the most they could do without trading somebody.

111. Numenius says:

Ice Sage: And when he owns the puck like a Sedin, LT will call him ‘Draisycutter’?

Hey. No comparing our German Panzer to a sissy Sedin.

112. Bank Shot says:

Dicky94:
    HiddenDarts,

A’bunadh,

They didn’t go after Legwand because they have obviously got something better planned in a trade.To not throw crazy money at some of the available u f a centres, they must have had talks with otherteamsbefore free agency to see who was available.Might not have to give up much for teams thathave no cap room.I think there will be a lot of player movement in the next couple weeks.

Yeah sure. Then why isn’t the trade made already?

This is like last year when everyone was wondering when they would acquire another established D man or a center, or a reliable two way winger and they never did.

113. GriffCity says:

“Steve Smith”,

Well what dont you think i was meaning by saying Tom Gilbert situation? A situation where you play yourself virtually off any NHL top 6 roster and are left looking for camp invites to try and find a job. Sure Gilbert signed a deal this year but do you recall when the OIlers gave him way too much money to play here? By any standards he has fallen a long way from being Edmonton top 3 guy to bottom pairing anywhere else. Too soft, poor positional play, two names, Petry, Gilbert.

114. Kitchener says:

Draisatl nickname ideas:
    – Öler (German for “Oiler”)
    – Mr. Köln (German spelling of Cologne, his hometown)
    – Der Konig (“the king”)
    – Köln König
    – K.Ö.K. (Köln Öler König)
    – Der Stier (the Bull)
    – Das Pferd (the Horse)
    – Wotan / Wōdanaz / Wōden (Germanic diety; bringer of victory)

I’m partial to the Wotan concept. The Wagner Leitmotif played each time he scores? Music!

115. Dicky94 says:

Bank Shot,

This year is different. We actually look to have a competitive team.

116. Jon K says:

I’m really quite curious as to what MacT is doing on the trade front right now.

I mean, if they can’t get Petry signed for something reasonable, then fine, I guess trading him is a consideration.

But if he can be re-signed, I really think the team should consider waiting for other opportunities to emerge, rather than trading a valuable asset. And the roster doesn’t look horrible if Petry is retained and nothing further is done at 2C, provided that Arcobello can at least match his performance last season:

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
    CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
    FORWARDS
    Taylor Hall ($6.000m) / Ryan Nugent-Hopkins ($6.000m) / Jordan Eberle ($6.000m)
    David Perron ($3.813m) / Mark Arcobello ($0.600m) / Nail Yakupov ($0.925m)
    Benoit Pouliot ($4.000m) / Leon Draisaitl ($1.500m) / Teddy Purcell ($4.500m)
    Matt Hendricks ($1.850m) / Boyd Gordon ($3.000m) / Luke Gazdic ($0.800m)
    Jesse Joensuu ($0.950m) / Anton Lander ($0.600m) /
    DEFENSEMEN
    Nikita Nikitin ($4.500m) / Jeff Petry ($4.500m)
    Martin Marincin ($0.730m) / Mark Fayne ($3.625m)
    Andrew Ference ($3.250m) / Justin Schultz ($3.750m)
    Keith Aulie ($0.800m)
    GOALTENDERS
    Viktor Fasth ($2.900m)
    Ben Scrivens ($2.300m)
    BUYOUTS
    Eric Belanger ($0.000m)
    BONUS OVERAGE
    $0
    ——
    CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
    (estimations for 2014-15)
    SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,892,500; BONUSES: $2,990,000
    CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,107,500

The lineup could be further tinkered with, if management and Eakins decide that they want the middle 6 to be divided into two lines, one for soft minutes and one for tough.

Still like that lineup better than the past 5 or 6.

117. Bank Shot says:

Dicky94:
    Bank Shot,

This year is different. We actually look to have a competitive team.

I don’t see where the massive improvements are:

Hemsky Out-> Pouliot in
    Smyth out-> Purcell in
    Gagner out-> Draisaitl in
    Smid out-> Fayne in
    Belov out-> Nikitin in
    Schultz out-> Marincin in

“Steve Smith”: I do not think that “Tom Gilbert” means what you think that it means.

Hey everyone Steve is back!

Dicky94:
    HiddenDarts,

A’bunadh,

I agree with this.

MacT is aiming higher and that is good news.

Sad news is what its going to cost.

I hope he makes a good deal.

Petry and a 2nd is a pretty nice package.

120. Pouzar says:

Woodguy: I agree with this.

MacT is aiming higher and that is good news.

Sad news is what its going to cost.

I hope he makes a good deal.

Petry and a 2nd is a pretty nice package.

He’s got some irons in the fire for sure. Just a feeling.

121. Ducey says:

Bank Shot: I don’t see where the massive improvements are:Hemsky Out-> Pouliot inSmyth out-> Purcell inGagner out-> Draisaitl inSmid out-> Fayne inBelov out-> Nikitin inSchultz out-> Marincin in How many of those are clear upgrades? Marincin over Schultz if Marincin manages to keep it up, which isn’t a certainty. Other then that I would say any upgrades from the beginning of last season are marginal at best. The goaltending should probably be better, but even after getting better goaltending last season, this team was still porridge. Other teams the Oilers are competing against made huge upgrades. Vanek in Minny. Spezza and Hemsky in Dallas. Colorado might have gotten worse but they are miles and miles ahead to begin with. The Oilers have added not much to a roster that was terrible last season, and are again counting on massive internal improvement from the department of youth. Just. Like. Every. Other. Year. The free agent pool is essentially empty, and the best known available trade targets are gone as well. Unless MacT pulls off a huge unexpected move this team is pretty much running in place.

Yup, the Oilers are going to suck apparently. I am sure Legwand would have made all the difference.

122. admiralmark says:

Numenius says:

Not sure how this is predictable at this moment in time? He signed for $3 Million/year. If this team can’t afford to pay $3 Million/year + for the 2nd line C position there is big big problems.

123. Backhand says:

Re: Vinny and taking on a buyout contract

I’m not sure if this is mentioned, but I’m under the impression that as of July 1, compliance buy-outs are no longer available. You break it, you buy it.

Looking at capgeek http://capgeek.com/faq/how-do-compliance-buyouts-work it appears compliance buyouts are available “During the ordinary-course buyout periods in June 2013 and June 2014″.

And this: http://capgeek.com/faq/how-do-buyouts-work confirms the “ordinary-course” buyout period is from June 15-30 (or 48hrs after scf).

I don’t think taking on Vinny’s contract is an option.

124. Death By Misadventure says:

admiralmark: If this team can’t afford to pay $3 Million/year + for the 2nd line C position there is big big problems.

Jon K: Matt Hendricks ($1.850m) / Boyd Gordon ($3.000m) / Luke Gazdic ($0.800m)

Jon K: Andrew Ference ($3.250m) / Justin Schultz ($3.750m)

The Oilers are willing to pay a #4.5D $4.5 million, a #4D $3.625 million, a #5D $3.25 million, but are unwilling to pay their #1D (who toiled for the last two years as the #1D for $1.25 million) $5 million.

126. Numenius says:

admiralmark:
    Numenius says:

It’s not hard to estimate how much cap space is available and what they Oil will have to do to fit under it for one simple year in advance.

Anyone can do it simply by looking at Capgeek for a while and assuming the estimated $74M cap the rumours are suggesting for next year (thanks to the Roger’s deal bump up).

If Oiler management can’t do this, then they’re eff’d.

127. "Steve Smith" says:

Death By Misadventure,

Totally agree on the third pairing – the Ference signing was awful, and if Schultz is getting $3.75 million per, he’d better be giving up some UFA years in the process. I fully expect that he *will* be signed to that kind of money without giving up any UFA years; I’m just saying that if/when he is, it will be a bad contract.

With respect to the third line, Hendricks is somewhat overpaid (but not badly, at least in absolute terms), and Gazdic is overpaid to the extent that he is being paid to play in the NHL, but even if Gordon does wind up on the fourth line (which he may not, since he’s currently the Oilers’ second best centre), his role can’t be considered exclusively in the context of that role: he’s also the Oilers’ top penalty killing centre, and overall defensive specialist. Viewed in that context, and considering that it was necessary to go the UFA route to get him, I don’t think $3 million is indefensible.

128. admiralmark says:

Death By Misadventure

There is certainly an overpay here and there. Every team in the league has a list of overpays. But it seems that even as it stands they have 3-3.5 Mill left to spend on a 2C if they choose to do so.

Ryan Batty seems to sum it up pretty well here:

129. Deadman Waiting says:

I don’t think the hole on this roster is 2C in MacT’s mind. It’s 1C. What if Nuge takes a spin on the good ship LTIR? Lottery lift-off. We need at least one guy other than Nuge who can feasibly play 1C for at least four weeks. Hint: It’s not Taylor Hall. Nuge needs a viable understudy.

Loweblow:

Darnell Nurse was brought from the OHL and placed in the heat of a playoff race. Word I got was he looked good in some games, and less impressive in others. Completely understandable, he’s coming from a different league and trying to get his head around the leap.

Fall is a different time. He’ll be six months older, he will gradually work into the season as all players will. If Nurse gets an NHL partner in a couple of pre-season games (early), he may get a late look too.

In a situation of that sort, the leap is more gradual (boil frog) and young players often find their way to a 9-game look in just that way. If Nurse is unready, then he should be sent back and that’s the most likely scenario.

When I see ” Bloggers came to the same conclusion on Nurse. He’s not close to being ready, ridiculous to think so” we’re now giving bloggers a wide range of abilities, including scouting and player evaluation. I suspect we need to step back from making sweeping statements about our collective expertise in that area.

If not, bloggers fall victim to the same trap that mainstream media falls into: talking out of our collective ass.

131. whale says:

Off topic but so what.

Desirability of all 30 NHL Cities

I thought I saw something somewhere that showed the results of a survey of active players and their rating of each city as to their desirability of playing there.

Well, I think they should make this type of survey mandatory once a year and include it in the CBA. It will be used as a tool to adjust each team cap floor and/or ceiling. A top destination team would receive no adjustment while the bottom team would receive an additional 1-2 Million in Cap space. The amount can be incremented on some sort of curve/scale whatever going from 1st to 30th. It’s rather tiring to have NYR or PHI or LA getting good players at discounts or even going rates and teams like the Oilers having to pay extra all the time. That’s not even talking about being on someone’s no-trade list. I know a winning team helps a lot but weather, beaches, amount of travel and night life has an enormous effect.

132. Bank Shot says:

Ducey: Yup, the Oilers are going to suck apparently.I am sure Legwand would have made all the difference.

It sure would have helped.

D.C. Johnson @habs329 · 40m

Yay!

About time someone offer sheeted a Bruin.

Not official yet, but lots of hubbub

134. Jon K says:

Death By Misadventure: Just a guess, but I’m guessing that the 4th line and 3rd pairing are probably the most expensive in the league. That’s the problem.

Yeah I agree. I said as much under a previous post. The Oilers may very well find themselves in a cap crunch next off-season when they need to give Yakupov and Marincin raises and are stuck with Gordon, Ference, Hendricks, and the like making too much for their roles.

The point about possible injury to a centre is a good one. I recant my previous suggestion that the Oilers could make do with their current centre depth. One bad injury to RNH and this team could be back in the mix for McDavid.

135. Zangetsu says:

How about “IDLE” since he has effort concerns.

136. Ducey says:

Bank Shot: It sure would have helped. MacT blew his wad on wingers yet again this season when the huge gaping holes are still at Center and Defence.

He did fix the defence. 2 actual NHL defensemen.

C is a tough position to fix. There is a high demand for top 6 C’s.

You have no idea what he tried to do to fix the C position.

Anyway, you are complaining about the difference, apparently, between the Oilers finishing 28th again, and 26th had they landed Legwand.

Trading Horcoff last year was a really, really, really bad decision.

138. vinotintazo says:

if you are feeling sad, just look at this roster :D

139. Ducey says:

Woodguy: D.C. Johnson @habs329 · 40mPer 104.7 COGECO radio station, the #Habs are about to offer a contract to RFA Riley Smith of the #Bruins #NHL #FreeAgencyFrenzy #FAFYay!About time someone offer sheeted a Bruin.Not official yet, but lots of hubbub

Hubbub. Nice word.

I don’t know all the ins and out of the Cap but it would seem BOS would have enough room to match. They have Savard who has not played in something like 2 years with a concussion. He likely will pull a Pronger on go on LTIR, freeing up $4 million. However, they might have some trouble meeting the opening day requirement as they only seem to have one guy (Hamilton) who is on a minor league contract and would not have to go thru waivers.

Is Smith that good, or is MTL just going after a rival?

140. Ducey says:

godot10: Trading Horcoff last year was a really, really, really bad decision.

Did you miss the part where he essentially asked for a trade?

FFS

141. commonfan14 says:

Woodguy: D.C. Johnson @habs329 · 40m
    Yay!
    About time someone offer sheeted a Bruin.
    Not official yet, but lots of hubbub

Not sure it should be the Habs getting into that game.

It would be pretty disastrous for them if some team signed PK to a huge 2-year contract. Even if the team doesn’t for a second expect the Habs not to match, I think that takes him right up to UFA status.

Isn’t that the kind of thing a team like the Flyers might do, with the hope of signing him again for real in 2 years?

142. belcolt91 says:

Bank Shot,

So I checked out the stats for just last year (I know, it’s a limited scope), using the Corsi Rel QoC (the first number) and Corsi Rel (the second number). Also, I matched up Hemmer with Purcell and Smyth with Pouliot for positional sake. And I compared Gagner with Arco, as right now I’d say he’s our second 2C, with Draisaitl filling in for Will Acton (although not at 4C).

Hemsky (0.824, 5.8) -> Purcell (0.478, 8.9)

No improvement here, and for what it counts I wish we never traded Hemmer.

Smyth (0.278, 4.6) -> Pouliot (0.145, 7.3)

Arguably some improvement, If this was the old school Smyth it wouldn’t even be a competition.

Gagner (0.673, 0.9) -> Arcobello (-0.067, 6.4)

I believe he should’ve kept 2C for the rest of the season. It’ll be interesting to see how he handles a full 82, should no trade be made.

Smid (0.536, -15.2) -> Fayne (1.015, 1.6)

Oh boy. Great signing.

Belov (-0.415, 7.1) -> Nikitin (-0.636, -3)

This one looks bad. Hopefully it was just a difficult year.

Schultz (-0.089, -11.1) -> Marincin (0.699, 15.5)

We all know the story with this one. Even if Marincin can’t keep up those numbers, Nultz hasn’t exactly set the bar high.

And considering Will Acton was our 4C last year at the start, I’d say LD’s NHLE of 15-25-40 makes up for what defensive advantage Acton may have, especially considering he’s most likely destined for the soft parade.

This is leaving out Hendricks (over Ben Eager), a G tandem we feel more comfortable with than the one we did last year, and that young nucleas one year older.

All in all, it looks like improvement to me.

143. "Steve Smith" says:

“Steve Smith”,

That comment apparently triggered comment moderation. What was it, the mention of Horc?

144. Frank the dog says:

godot10:
    Trading Horcoff last year was a really, really, really bad decision.

Horcoff and Hemsky wanted out. MacT made the best he could of a bad situation

145. Zangetsu says:

Also didn’t they increase the number of games a chler can play. I don’t think it’s nine anymore, might be 18. Seem to recall this from the lockout season, could be wrong.

146. Doomoil says:

Imagine the putrid line up the Oilers would field if Griffcity had a say.

147. freedomisamyth says:

Bank Shot: I don’t see where the massive improvements are:

Hemsky Out-> Pouliot in
    Smyth out-> Purcell in
    Gagner out-> Draisaitl in
    Smid out-> Fayne in
    Belov out-> Nikitin in
    Schultz out-> Marincin in

How many of those are clear upgrades?Marincin over Schultz if Marincin manages to keep it up, which isn’t a certainty.

So a marginal upgrade in 2nd line center is going to make all the difference?

I think you need to get used to the reality that there never was any way for this team to take any big step forward unless we get “massive internal improvement from the department of youth”. If those 1st overalls don’t turn into stars, this team is going nowhere but being mediocre. You can swap out the role players all you want, but it won’t matter in the grand scheme of things if those kids don’t improve.

148. flyfish1168 says:

Dallas definitely has depth in the middle. Down in the AHL they have Travis Morin. Someone we maybe able to pry out of the Stars.

149. bry_oil says:

Woodguy,

I’ve seen a tweet going around (can’t find it now) that cites section 10.2 (c) of the new CBA. I understand it to be that both Krug and Smith can’t be signed to offer sheets since they have already been signed to a QO, giving Boston exclusive negotiating rights.

150. gvblackhawk says:

vinotintazo:
    if you are feeling sad, just look at this roster

That roster is as good as the one last year…the one that finished higher than the Oilers. Their top defense pairing is still much better than the Oilers’. Their center depth is arguably better than the Oilers’.

That’s not making me feel any happier at all.

151. blainer says:

rickithebear:
    When you look at the decline of RSL standard.
    ther is a saturation from Finland .55 League.
    AHL/ low TOI NHLplayers
    and Addition of
    Czech league and Non Russian hockey oblasts.

2 divisions (bobrov/Cheryshev) from
    Czech league and non russian oblast countries.

The top 2 divisions reflect .77 NHLE by history and Fin/czech sturation
    and the other divisions reflect .65 NHLE.

The AHL was a .55 NHLE league.

Yakimov played in the divisions with the Russian hockey oblast teams
    would at least expect a .77 NHLE mequivalancy

So I take his NHLE with incresed TOI to be:

33gm 6EVG 1PPG 5EVA 9:55 TOI

His actual EVTOI should be9:09
    with a conference equivalency of .77

i would expect a jump in TOI depending on wether he plays with Hal-Yak
    or Pouliot.

The likely jump is to 12:30 EV TOI
    A 36.6% increase.
    If he shows the same defensive acumen and 59% FO%
    he will get further TOI with Extensive DZ time.

With added TOI 82 gm and .77 NHLE
    he reflects a 29 EVP season @ 20
    82gm 15EVG and 14 EVA.
    Which is equal to gagner at his even best.

13-14:
    M. Richard 27 EVP 6 ESG
    Kruger 27 EVP 8 EVG
    Kesler 26 EVP 15 EVG
    Henrique 26 EVP 15 EVG
    J. Staal 26 EVP12 EVG

No wonder he was part of the
    special 18 year old group from russia.
    He better get a shot in camp!

That is interesting…Maybe MacT is waiting for camp to assess everyone and then make a decision on who or how to upgrade at center. I don’t think yak2 will be ready just yet but what a treat if he is,,,Same with nurse..LT make some valid points on Nurse and we have to keep an open mind on these players if they do indeed make the team. Maybe this is the year we finally see established players worried about not making the team…I don’t expect MacT making any more moves for a center or anywhere else for that matter…He is due a vacation soon and probably needs some downtime..

152. "Steve Smith" says:

bry_oil:
    Woodguy,

153. speeds says:

bry_oil:
    Woodguy,

They don’t have enough years experience, as defined by the CBA, to be eligible to receive offer sheets.

Most players have enough when their ELC runs out, but because Krug and Smith both burned an ELC year in the spring they signed, without playing enough games to also count as a year of experience, they aren’t eligible for offer sheets.

154. Bank Shot says:

freedomisamyth: So a marginal upgrade in 2nd line center is going to make all the difference?

Legwand or similar at centre would have been a bigger upgrade to a single position then anything else MacT has done this offseason.

155. oliveoilers says:

"Steve Smith": The word is “Pferd”, but I’m not sure of the gender offhand – I think it might be “der Pferd”.

Edit: According to Google Translate, it’s “das Pferd”.

Anglicised? Ancient German to modern German? LOL, language is funny. We used to tell girls in Germany that we were unter-wasser-panzer-fahrers.

156. Bank Shot says:

Ducey: He did fix the defence.2 actual NHL defensemen.

C is a tough position to fix.There is a high demand for top 6 C’s.

You have no idea what he tried to do to fix the C position.

These aren’t big improvements.

157. prairieschooner says:

Neon or Neon Leon

158. blainer says:

Bank Shot: I don’t see where the massive improvements are:

Hemsky Out-> Pouliot in
    Smyth out-> Purcell in
    Gagner out-> Draisaitl in
    Smid out-> Fayne in
    Belov out-> Nikitin in
    Schultz out-> Marincin in

Agreed. This was not a great UFA year. We were losing Hemmer.. Smyth is too old.. Gagner was too soft and small …Fayne is a decent upgrade..and really hoping for the Nikitin from three years ago. We really NEED that big young 2nd line center..It may not get us in but it will help..Yak also needs to show up this year and the German to be the rookie of the year with 65 points….The single most important thing as it was for the Avs last year…A goalie with a 928 save percentage..oh and hopefully some good coaching from Ramsay…I do see improvement …but we are spinning our wheels without that center…

159. commonfan14 says:

Maybe Lander will solve a riddle or find a ring or something and his NHL scoring curse will be lifted.

Problems solved.

160. regwald says:

“Steve Smith”: I don’t have a copy of the CBA, but if they have signed their qualifying offers, then there is nothing left to negotiate, and they are no longer RFAs.

I think what you are thinking about is if arbitration is filed no offer sheet can be made to an RFA.

161. blainer says:

Bank Shot,

The one thing we did do that Everybody was complaining about.. me included….We got bigger…

Any NHL player that doesn’t have a signed contract or hasn’t opted for arbitration is eligible for an offer sheet.

Players coming off of their entry level contracts typically don’t have arbitration rights.

A qualifying offer doesn’t negate your ability to seek an offer sheet. If the player has arbitration rights, and opts for arbitration, then he loses his eligibility for an offer sheet.

These aren’t big improvements.

Two things:

1) I looked hard at Nikitin and calling “a healthy scratch” is a disservice. He’s not worth 4.5, but you’re stretching credibility there.

2). You’re equating Smid with Fayne? Really?

164. belcolt91 says:

Woodguy:

2). You’re equating Smid with Fayne? Really?

This.

I’ll point out that MacT wasn’t exactly left with much when he took over. I would argue that this team is looking much better than it did a couple years ago.

165. malinpaul says:

The quote I can’t get out of my head from camp last year was “Nurse looks like a young Larry Robinson”.

#FYPM

166. Ducey says:

Bank Shot: MacT only added two NHL defencemen to fill the holes of the ones he traded away last year. One who has been pretty similar to Smid. The other who was a healthy scratch last year. These aren’t big improvements. I really don’t care what Mact tries or tried to do to fix the top 6C. I just care what he actually accomplished. Other GMs make big moves and big trades to fix their squad. Mact so far has been less than bold.

Perhaps you should realize that because of the position the Oilers are in (low in standings, Canadian market, frozen tundra, western conference) that its not easy to attract high end free agents. Guys were signing 1 yr cap friendly deals to go elsewhere. Comparing what MacT can do to what other GM’s can do in their market isn’t really fair.

The current top 6 defence is a huge upgrade on last years which involved Belov (57 games), Larson (30), Nick Schultz (60), Fraser (42), Grebs (7) and Smid (17) at various times. Marincin didn’t even come up until mid season. They also have the benefit of more experience and the likes of Klefbom etc on the farm.

If you cant see this you don’t want to see it.

The bottom line is that Legwand was available on July 4 for only $3 million per because he is not that useful. The gap between him and Leon or Arco will only make a difference of a spot or two in the standings. And you don’t even know if he would have come here. This hardly matters.

Please take this into account when making your random complaints about MacT.

167. Melman says:

If Petry does get dealt, Corey Potter is a UFA :)

168. flyfish1168 says:

JMHO. I think we will be better just by having some consistency at head coaching and bringing in Ramsey. All the new guys that they brought in may have a better corsi but they never played in the western division with this amount of travel.They will be facing better and heavier players more regularly now. JMHO

169. Bank Shot says:

Woodguy: Two things:

2). You’re equating Smid with Fayne? Really?

1) Nikitin was a healthy scratch at times last season. There is no credibility to stretch. That actually happened.

2) Smid was a guy that everyone had pegged as a reasonably steady stay at home D guy until last season. Fayne is pretty much that guy no? Maybe he will embrace the chaos and look great in Edmonton, maybe his numbers will suffer without defensively responsible forwards and a solid system. No one can say for certain at this point.

Lets not act like we landed Chris Pronger 2.0 here.

170. Bank Shot says:

Ducey:

The current top 6 defence is a huge upgrade on last years which involved Belov (57 games), Larson (30), Nick Schultz (60), Fraser (42), Grebs (7)and Smid (17) at various times.Marincin didn’t even come up until mid season.They also have the benefit of more experience and the likes of Klefbom etc on the farm.

If you cant see this you don’t want to see it.

It potentially is an upgrade. .

A lot of fans here loved the depth and upgrades at D going into last season’s training camp and we know how that turned out.

The Oilers didn’t land a legit first pairing D-man in this offseason. They landed some more potentials.

malinpaul:

#FYPM

Old timey guys like you and me can’t resist that kind of comp. It’s like saying “he’s like Steve Shutt!”

172. Pouzar says:

WTF happened? I leave for a few hours and some HFOil lifers have taken over??!?!?

Fayne isn’t an improvment over Smid??? Sweet Jezzuz Batman.
    MacT hasn’t improved this team???

Oh i get it….almost got me….ALMOST.

173. belcolt91 says:

Bank Shot,

Three less seasons and already dominating top end talent. Not to mention he started doing it as soon as he hit NHL ice.

Bank Shot:

Lets not act like we landed Chris Pronger 2.0 here.

We didn’t. We landed Mark Fayne. And he’s a clear improvement over Ladislav Smid.

174. v4ance says:

If we’re looking for nicknames for Draisaitl, why not ” Blitz” or “Panzer”. He’s definitely built like a tank and if he gets a head of steam up the ice, he’ll hit like a linebacker.

175. justDOit says:

v4ance,

I suggested Panzer many days ago, but apparently some people are offended by war terminology.

#dontmentionthewar

176. bry_oil says:

godot10,

If a player is coming off of their ELC and have been given a QO (not necessarily signed it) then the club has exclusive negotiating rights with the player. you can check it out here http://cdn.agilitycms.com/nhlpacom/PDF/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf (page 55 of the PDF)

177. Bank Shot says:

Pouzar:

Fayne isn’t an improvment over Smid??? Sweet Jezzuz Batman.
    MacT hasn’t improved this team???

Oh i get it….almost got me….ALMOST.

I said they are similar players. You act like they don’t belong in the same league.

Fayne’s play in Edmonton will be a pretty big test for RelCorsi as the determining stat for defencemen.

178. A'bunadh says:

Woodguy,

I agree there is most likely some negotiations going on. I’m just worried he return won’t match the cost. I see us losing any deal involving Petry.

bry_oil:
    godot10,

Read section 10.2 in its entirety, particularly the opening clauses. Ryan O’Reilly was offer sheeted by the Flames coming off of his ELC. So you are wrong. People were begging for Subban to be offer-sheeted two years ago coming off of his ELC. Ditto for Pieterangelo last year.

The clause you refer is a catchall for a player that someone falls through the cracks of the general cases.

180. bry_oil says:

godot10,

ahhh okay sorry about that and thanks for clearing it up for me

181. bcisleman says:

Just finished viewing a film about John Adams in honor of July 4rh. In it, he notes that “facts are stubborn things”. The author of this blog apparently regards facts to be far more inconstant.

If we believe this blogger, the Islanders are constantly trading away young prospects. In fact, under 8 years of Garth Snow’s management, the Isles have traded away prospects twice. The most recent was Nino Niederreiter who demanded a trade.

The only other prospect Garth Snow has traded was Ryab O’Marra. Oiler fans will, I am sure, remember Ryan O’Marra. They may wish they could forget, but they remember.

Used to HMSM throwing darts at the Isles but Oiler media probably should keep in mind the glass house they live in and they should surely get their facts straight.

182. bcisleman says:

BTW, I don’t believe there’s ANYBODY on EDM other than Hall or Hopkins that the Isles would trade Strome for.

183. delooper says:

Expecially since he’s not Sachische.