BIG FISH BITES IF YOU’VE GOT GOOD BAIT

A couple of days ago, NHL.com had some interesting quotes about the Edmonton Oilers and where they sit as we prepare for training camp. As always, Craig MacTavish is very forthcoming:

• MacTavish: “I think there is room for somebody outside of the organization if we can find the right complement. In my mind it’s a real significant piece that we’re looking for, and it would have to be a big incremental difference between who we feel would fill that position currently and the player that we would bring in. If we were able to get a star player that could win faceoffs, play big minutes and be productive at the net front and on the power play, we’d really enhance our ability to compete and to have a great degree of success. But they are tough to find.” Source

The description suggests to me Ryan Johansen, your mileage may vary. I would think you’re going to be paying a major price here, Leon plus plus, maybe including the 2015 first-round selection. Johansen signed for $6 million times six years? Is that worth it? Not sure. But it’s a conversation worth having. This definitely flies in the face of the ‘short term solution’ we were talking about all summer. I find myself liking Leon ‘Action Saxon’ Draisaitl more and more as summer rolls along, don’t know if the idea of trading him—even for an somewhat established player like Johansen—has the appeal it might have before the draft.

• MacTavish: “We’re committed to development, and we need good players and we want to keep the guys that we view are a big part of this solution going forward. We’re going to try to use some other pieces, draft choices and so forth if we can, to try and pry that centerman [via a trade]. But our sense is that we’re going to get to camp with a very similar group to what we have right now and then assess it through camp, much like many other teams will do.”

I think we’re at a point where second and third-round draft picks are currency Edmonton is willing to use in order to improve the 23. Many comments on this blog ridiculed me for suggesting Darryl Sutter was right to trade all those second round picks during the early part of the century, but that was and remains good business. If you can acquire a reasonable NHL player for pick No. 49? Music!

• Jim Matheson: Oilers defenceman Martin Marincin, always trying to bulk up, is close to 200 pounds now on his 6’4” frame. His buddy, OKCity farmhand Martin Gernat, is up to 207 pounds after a summer in the gym. Gernat played 64 games with the Barons in his rookie pro season, mostly with Fedun as a partner. Source

Marincin has a great future based on his progress and the 44 games with the Oilers a year ago. Gernat has no real draft pedigree but some nice things and he did adjust fairly well to the AHL. I quite like the urgency shown by Gernat and the organization, and the truth is the defensive pipeline is quite strong. Dillon Simpson will join Gernat, David Musil, Brandon Davidson and others this fall in OKC, and some of those men should end up in the NHL. Added to Marincin, Oscar Klefbom and Darnell Nurse, that’s quite the group.

It’s also worth mentioning the 2011 Oilers draft. I haven’t waxed poetic about 2011 because the 2010 fell to pieces in so many unpredictable ways, but the ’11 group boasts Nuge and Klefbom (who have already played in the NHL) and a trio of interesting blue. Musil, Simpson and Gernat all have good arrows, and Tobias Rieder also looks like a player. It’s going to be fun tracking that draft in the next two years.

• Taylor Fedun on Mark Arcobello: “It was painfully obvious he was too good for that league (AHL, 28 points in 15 games).” Source

Arcobello signed a sweet deal (for the team) over the summer and is guaranteed a feature role during 2014-15. Seems the Oilers agree with Fedun, and the college pipeline that turned up Justin Schultz may have another significant talent helping the big league team. That Matheson article also details the transaction that saw Fedun arrive in San Jose, and I think reflects well on the organization. If Fedun isn’t in your plans, then let him go.

feds

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

10 this morning, TSN 1260. Bruce McCurdy from Cult of Hockey joins us at 10:05, then Justin Bourne from the Score kicks in at about 25 past. He’ll talk about the neutral zone and it’s importance, and what good zone entry teams do in today’s NHL. At 11, Rob Soria from Oil Drop kicks by to discuss the US Open, Labor Day weekend and we’ll talk hockey too. Dave Jamieson pops in about 11:40 with breaking news (hahahahahaha) and then we’re fin.

See you on the radio!

74 Responses to "BIG FISH BITES IF YOU’VE GOT GOOD BAIT"

1. Ca$h-Money! says:

Counterpoint:

Last summer the discussion was that Ryan J. was a bust… he got benched in the AHL for not giving a damn and failing to produce like he should. Then after 1 good season (finally) he wants big money and big term. Sounds like a wonderful young man. I’m not seeing how we give up a guy with nothing but good arrows in Leon, who we have every reason to believe will be in the range of RNH, for a guy who has posted 1 good season and has shown a bad attitude, who will want to get paid like he can be relied on to produce for years to come.

I would take Ryan J., but I wouldn’t include Leon in a trade for him at this junction. I also wouldn’t sign him to more than a two year deal.

2. Ben says:

Sounds like the Oil are gonna rob Petry to pay Paul.

3. Clay says:

Love the Arco story. Everyone loves an underdog, and he’s climbed every mountain put in front of him so far. Here’s hoping he tackles the last one and establishes himself as a legit NHLer. I hope he scores 50 points.

Fedun as well – happy he’s found another home.

4. Ca$h-Money! says:

Ben:
    Sounds like the Oil are gonna rob Petry to pay Paul.

Well played sir. Well played.

5. Braden88 says:

Gernat at 207LB. up from 187LB from the OKC website. Thats Impressive. He’s not at the top of the VID(Very Important Defenseman) list, but this kid has passed every hurdle thats been thrown at him. Now he puts on huge weight and looks to my eye to be ready for a breakout season.

6. Braden88 says:

Leon Draisaitl and a 1st rounder for Ryan Johansen would be a big mistake. R.J. took 4 seasons after draft to show up as a legit talent. Draisaitl could do it realistically in 2. which seems the better player to you?

they’re both fantastic, and i would love either player if we drafted them. but trading one plus a top pick for the other doesn’t solve anything but time. Thats a bad trade.

7. bendelson says:

LT

You have become the Velvet Underground of the Oilers blogosphere…

Read Lowetide, get inspired, and start your own blog.

Rom, Rex, WG and the many others that have come before…

Well done!

Who’s next?

8. jp says:

Ca$h-Money!:

It’s “at this juncture”, is it not? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSWUWPx2VeQ
    Around the 0:45 mark, though the whole thing is worth a watch if you haven’t seen it.

As for Johansen/Draisaitl, I’d be a little hesitant on that too.

That’s the key part.

We need to answer the question : How much better is player X than Arcobello?

I’m sure everyone’s mileage will vary.

To me, adding an Anisimov is an upgrade on Arco, the question is “Is the incrimental upgrade worth the price?”

I think we’ll find that answer is “no” unless its someone like Johansen and he’s under contract for 5 years at a reasonable number.

10. Hall Awaits says:

I suggested that Johansson would cost Draisaitl and Petry at least a while back. Needless to say I was tarred and feathered in the streets of Oilers Nation.

The thing is if Nurse or Kelfbom come in and blow the doors off at training camp, Petry will become expendable (even more so) to management. I personally have always felt Petry will be gone before we know it, just like Poti and Gilbert. The fans just crush these guys.

Would you do Jeff Petry, Anton Lander, 2014 1st rounder and a 2015 2nd for Johansson and a pick?

Not sure CBJ would even do that, but it’s fun to imagine!

Hall / Johansson / Eberle
    Pouliot / Nugent-Hopkins / Yakupov
    Perron / Draisaitl / Purcell
    Hendricks / Gordon / Arcobello
    Gazdic / Pitlick

Nikitin / Fayne
    Marincin / Schultz
    Ference / Nurse
    Aulie

Scrivens
    Fasth

11. Ca$h-Money! says:

jp,

I love that video, thanks for reminding me. What I would give to have that man replace Louie Debrusk. That would accurately describe how I feel most of the time while watching the Oilers.

12. LMHF#1 says:

You offer Oscar, not Leon. Add more picks if necessary.

Johansen would make things interesting around here.

LMHF#1:
    You offer Oscar, not Leon. Add more picks if necessary.

Johansen would make things interesting around here.

14. Jordan says:

I don’t think the Oilers will move Leon, or any of the other young players. I think they have decided that unless a team is dumping a player (think Pronger 2006) the Oilers will not move one of their 1st round selections for anyone. I think a big part of the change with the Oilers is about their players and knowing what they have. The won’t trade any player who they aren’t certain they’ve nailed down who and what they are. So players like Leon, Yak, Schultz and those still in the minors with significant runway left on their ELCs won’t be moved.

Honestly, that’s a big part of the reason I think they are considering moving Petry. He’s a good #3 D-man on a cup contending team, and on the Oilers right now he’s a first pairing d-man. While he’s 1st pairing now, he won’t be by the time the team is contending, and if you can trade him for something more valuable when you are contending (like a Johansson) that’s a trade worth talking about. I don’t think that particular deal is there, but the discussion is surely worthwhile.

For my money, it seems the Oilers strat is exactly what you’ve described, LT. If it’s outside the 1st round, it’s fair game to improve the team now. It’s just good asset management. If you’re drafting 1sts who have the chance to be impact players, and you’re keeping your best players on your team, you should be able to trade your lottery ticket picks to fill holes. Now that MacT has bought enough wood to replace the rotted-out shell that had been slowly sinking the good ship Oiler, there is actually something resembling a hull there, with re-enforced oars and a working rudder. If Eakins can get his seamen rowing to a steady beat (come on Ramsay/Dellow – please have some rhythm) this ship might fly. She’s had some significant upgrades, so while we’re all being very calm and cautious and hedging our bets how this ship will move this year… there’s the potential for this team to significantly exceed expectations, in there is unexpectedly good chemistry with the new additions.

15. leadfarmer says:

What you forget to mention is that the guy that does the measurements for the oilers is blind, deaf, and has no arms, and is the equivalent of a random number generator.

Still more entertaining than seeing how close to 300lb Peckham can get to in the offseason.

16. leadfarmer says:

I doubt Columbus trades Johansen unless he requests to be moved. They are in a win-now mode, and would not accept a trade for futures. Their team needs to make the playoffs again for the survival of the franchise. If they go back to rebuilding, they are finished.

If they did have to move him The Krout and Klefbom would be in the range, although I dont know where Klefbom would fit in their plans.

17. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“The description suggests to me Ryan Johansen, your mileage may vary. I would think you’re going to be paying a major price here, Leon plus plus, maybe including the 2015 first-round selection. Johansen signed for $6 million times six years? Is that worth it? Not sure. But it’s a conversation worth having. This definitely flies in the face of the ‘short term solution’ we were talking about all summer.”

I’m not really sure I agree here.

I don’t read anything here that suggests MacT is looking to find a guy like RyJo, which isn’t to say he’d walk away if something came up for a young guy like RyJo.

I think this is the status quo.

I reads to me like we’ve guessed all along. They are looking for a very, very good C who can play for 1-3 years and provide some bufferage and immediate help.

I think that means we are still talking about Anisimov or Nielson or equivalent.

this seems even more clear when paired with the other comment you quote from the same piece:

“But our sense is that we’re going to get to camp with a very similar group to what we have right now and then assess it through camp, much like many other teams will do.”

This echoes entirely with Stauffer’s idea of waiting through TC and maybe beyond to see how teams like NYI and CBJs sort out their issues.

None of which is to say, if RyJo or RR or earlier if Stasny came available (i.e., a longer term solution) they wouldn’t examine it and re-think how the roster looks long-term… but, they simple aren’t mutually exclusive ideas. They are two different possible futures.

18. LMHF#1 says:

Lowetide: Columbus trades Johansen for Klefbom and 2015 first? I don’t think that gets it done.

Would fully expect they would add to Oscar and the 2015 #1.

You could drastically improve the “size that can play” quotient on this squad if you could keep Leon and add Johansen.

19. One-Timer says:

bendelson:
    LT

You have become the Velvet Underground of the Oilers blogosphere…

Read Lowetide, get inspired, and start your own blog.

Rom, Rex, WG and the many others that have come before…

Well done!

Who’s next?

DSF blog called “Dead Cat Bouncing”

Congrats to WG. Enoyed your first couple of posts.

20. Deadman Waiting says:

Woodguy:
    New post up on my blog: http://becauseoilers.blogspot.com/2014/08/the-evolution-of-msm-sports-writers.html

Your new project is exciting. I look forward to reading your posts.

I’m still on my copy editing kick. I hope you won’t hate me forever. The way I see it, you’re so close to the finish line already, just a few more dabs of spit and polish would take it to the next level. About half of these are just finger things.

———

most dominate franchise
    most dominant franchise

There were the conduit
    They were the conduit

post game presser
    post-game presser

who still view a lot of the morning write up as new information
    Try: who still approach the morning write up as new information

hockey writing consumers
    hockey-writing consumers

While its funny
    While it’s funny

A lot of us
    Try: Many of us

and more technical as well
    and more technical, as well

who his a beat writer
    who is a beat writer

for Leafs
    for the Leafs

hockey. i.e. If this stuff
    Try: hockey—i.e., if this stuff

(Well now) that there has been highly
    Well, now that there has been highly

shot attempt data
    shot-attempt data

shot attempt differentials
    shot-attempt differentials

smart hockey journalism
    smart hockey-journalism

Unless you meant “smart-hockey journalism” (I guess that would be the antithesis of “thug-hockey journalism”).

———

These all go together. One way to punctuate these two bullet point wrapped in a sentence is to treat the whole thing as a sentence with some extra space and numbers stuffed in. The two bullets are introduced with a colon, and separated with a semi-colon. There are no internal sentence capitals, as the bullet items are punctuated as part of the parent sentence).

for the MSM
    for the MSM:

Use your access
    use your access

get anywhere else
    get anywhere else;

Increase your knowledge
    increase your knowledge

———

is the norm though
    is the norm, though

fandom is growing though and
    fandom is growing, though, and

———

The rest of the time we’d have to listen to the radio or hope the Oilers were playing the Leafs or Habs so we would get a Saturday night game to watch

The rest of the time we’d have to listen to the radio, or hope the Oilers were playing the Leafs or Habs[,] so we would get a Saturday night game to watch

I don’t know whether the second comma is standard practice, or not. The point, however, is that you have used the word “or” twice, at two different levels of coordination and this presents a hazard.

I tend to finesse the issue by throwing around the mdashes.

The rest of the time we’d have to listen to the radio—or hope the Oilers were playing the Leafs or Habs—so we would get a Saturday night game to watch

Formal writing tends not to use the mdash construction in this way, but for informal writing, it really does force the reader to get the coordination right on the first pass. Everything you can do to stop the reader from hitting a speed bump while digesting your sentences leaves that much more of the reader’s mind attentive to the message you’re presenting. That’s the point, isn’t it?

———

The comma I inserted into “well, now” (and several other phrases) has an important job to do: it separates the discourse from the meta-discourse. Often one can get away with leaving these out, but sometimes you can’t because the reader stumbles.

Joseph Williams in Style: Toward Clarity and Grace puts forward the following passage by Clifford Geertz as a paragon of meta-discourse:

To argue (point out, actually, for like aerial perspective or the Pythagorean theorem, the thing once seen cannot then be unseen) that the writing of ethnography involves telling stories, making pictures, concocting symbolisms, and deploying tropes is commonly resisted, often fiercely, because of a confusion, endemic in the West since Plato at least, of the imagined with the imaginary, the fictional with the false, making things out with making things up. The strange idea that reality has an idiom in which it prefers to be described, that its very nature demands that we talk about it without fuss—a spade is a spade, a rose is a rose—on pain of illusion, trumpery, and self-bewitchment, leads on to the even strange idea that, if literalism is lost, so is fact.

Williams comments on the effect achieved:

As we read this, we feel we are hearing someone simultaneously thinking thoughts, refining, and recording them. Had Geertz thought less interesting thoughts, his interrupted style might seem merely a distracting mannerism. But we are interested not just in what Geertz thinks, but also, because he is Geertz, in how he thinks. So we interpret this interrupted style not as clumsiness but as the record of an interesting mind at work.

———

They hyphen in the compound modifiers has one subtle exception: you don’t use it when the first element ends in -ly: “brilliantly constructed roster” goes without the pyjama snaps.

———

By the way, Williams would adore your underlying writing style: simple words, short sentences, good set-up of issue and discussion.

That’s why he went to such great lengths to cite the Geertz passage: after he spends the entire book persuading the writer to eschew that kind of frippery, he feels obligated to point out that it can be done well, but only if the writer is “ten times more charmin’ than that Arnold on Green Acres”.

Fancy prose is a dirty animal.

Book it.

21. Numenius says:

Johansson at $6M per without losing any significant salaries will create cap problems this year and next and maybe after that.

Not sure how trading for him is realistic without trading back another big contract right now. Perron at least would have to go. Plus, a $6M dollar player (Yak?) would likely have to go in the future.

Would Perron and 2015 1st get it done?

Yak and Perron?

I don’t particularly want to give them up, but I wouldn’t even think of giving up Dr. Drai.

LMHF#1:
    You offer Oscar, not Leon. Add more picks if necessary.

Johansen would make things interesting around here.

Johansen is their version of Hall or RNH.

The price would be very steep.

Deadman Waiting,

You just scared me into not posting again.

24. LMHF#1 says:

Woodguy: Johansen is their version of Hall or RNH.

The price would be very steep.

Confused as to why they won’t pay the man if they view him that way.

LMHF#1: Totally understand that, though if they’re over a barrel on the contract you never know.

Would fully expect they would add to Oscar and the 2015 #1.

Given that he’s a RFA they’re not really over a barrell unless he demands a trade, and even then they have the hammer.

Deadman Waiting,

Edited as per most of your instructions.

Just got rid of the “thoughs”. They weren’t really doing anything.

27. G Money says:

Woodguy:
    Deadman Waiting,

Edited as per most of your instructions.

Just got rid of the “thoughs”.They weren’t really doing anything though.

Fixed that for you.

28. Ducey says:

If CLB, who feel they are a playoff team, are going to trade Johansen, they would almost certainly want a C that can step in right away.

Unless you give up Leon+ CLB can find a better fit elsewhere.

29. borisnikov says:

Deadman Waiting,
    Woodguy,

It’s funny how most, when reading (or writing) a post, completely overlook the technical details because of context. I feel like reviewing all of my past ramblings to see what horrid errors I have commited.

LMHF#1: Confused as to why they won’t pay the man if they view him that way.

He wants $6MM on a bridge, so that assumes north of $7MM for the next contract.

They hold the RFA hammer and are using it.

It sounds like he’s asking for the moon.

If he’d sign 6-7 years at $6MM like Hall, Eberle and RNH it would have been done.

G Money: Fixed that for you.

Man.

32. Hammers says:

Don’t see Ryan being the guy as the words he used seem more like an upgrade over Arco/ Lander . Nielsen , Sutter types of players . Proven with some size but the future is RNH & Leon . Now if you talked Malkin your talking another story . We start as is

33. slopitch says:

The Oilers are gonna need Leon on a entry level deal in 2-3 years when its time to make runs at the Stanley. I think you chase RJo all day but you cant offer up any of Nurse or Leon.

This will likely sound ridiculous after my last statement but what about Yak for RJo straight up? CBJ is loaded on D. Good on C but lack a true scorer. The Oilers are in a tough position with Yaks next contract. He hasn’t delivered enough to get the Hall, Ebs or Nuge contract.

Keep Nurse and LD in junior and run with:

4-93-14
    57-RJo-Purcell
    Poulout-27-23
    51-26-9

I dont think RJo gets moved but its an interesting idea. Im also not sure the Oilers would do it with LD waiting around. I just cant see them waiting another year. The fanbase (including yours truely) is getting impatient.

34. Bank Shot says:

Mact on center-> “If I can’t afford a Ferrari, I would rather drive a Lada, than upgrade to a Honda Civic.”

This is another nail in the coffin of my hopes that MacT will shore up the center position before the start of the season.

Next will be Draisaitl wearing his permanent number on day one of training camp.

35. OilFire says:

Deadman Waiting

hockey.i.e. If this stuff
    Try: hockey—i.e., if this stuff

Oh my God, an em dash in the comment section! I’ve finally found a place where I feel at home on the internet.

Considering the topic covered, I got scared and actually debated whether it was proper to treat “God” as a proper noun—you know, capitalization-wise—but realized I needed to call on a specific god to properly mimic this beautiful catch-all phrase of the very nearly religious man. Well, I didn’t realize it, but Google always knows who to ask for the answers and provided me with a path to this nice little mnemonic:

Capitalise names, don’t capitalise nouns:
    “I love God. He is the best god of all.”
    — the internet

Bank Shot,

It really depends on the cost.

If the upgrade is marginal and the cost is more than marginal then the prudent thing to do is nothing.

37. Zangetsu says:

Woodguy,

I think I’m blind. Your site is too white.

38. rickithebear says:

Bank Shot: Doesn’t this type of thinking run counter to the moneypuck ideals of upgrading your roster continuously no matter how slight the individual improvements are?

Cap based money Puck!

Goals for /$
    Goals Against/$

Damn it WG!

39. VanOil says:

The description suggests to me Ryan Johansen, your mileage may vary.

This drives me to a late model luxury car; Joe Thornton. Jumbo for Schultz, a prospect and a 2nd. Mind you that would put Schultz in Fedun’s way again which would be a pity.

40. Ducey says:

Zangetsu: Woodguy, I think I’m blind. Your site is too white.

Maybe your sight is too white.

41. RexLibris says:

Woodguy:
    Deadman Waiting,

You just scared me into not posting again.

Don’t stop.

It is only grammar.

I refuse to go back and look at my early stuff because some of the easy mistakes make me sick.

DMW is only pointing out the things you’d probably catch yourself.

I’ve read nearly every comment you’ve made on this blog and your thoughts are cogent, insightful, well-ordered and to the point.

Keep that up and you’ll be rolling. Like attracts like.

Zangetsu:
    Woodguy,

I think I’m blind. Your site is too white.

Changed.

Guys, out of respect for LT, please make comments on suggestions for my blog on my blog and let’s not clutter up LT’s threads.

I’ll still spam my new posts until banned though. :)

RexLibris: Don’t stop.

It is only grammar.

DMW is only pointing out the things you’d probably catch yourself.

Keep that up and you’ll be rolling. Like attracts like.

You’re very kind Rex.

Thank you.

44. jake70 says:

Test. Sorry…just lost a post somewhere…hmmm.

jake70:
    Test. Sorry…just lost a post somewhere…hmmm.

It’s not in the queue Jake. Sorry.

WG: I have found people normally point things out because they care. It’s a compliment to you that people are offering help. I know IT DOESN’T SEEM LIKE IT AT TIMES :-) but generally speaking the folks who chime in are doing so with good intentions, and often deliver insightful and valuable advice.

I also believe it takes a little while to find your voice. You already have it, but it’s sometimes different sitting down to write an item (as opposed to responding to a comment). Anyway, I’m thrilled you’re writing, have your own blog, and I have another place to steal ideas.

:-)

46. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: You’re very kind Rex.

Thank you.

It’s the medication. Makes me kind of soft and fuzzy inside.

Normally, I’m an antisocial prig.

;)

47. RexLibris says:

Unofficial straw poll:

Choosing the music for my final Flames RE article and I have to pick one musical introduction.

A. George Harrison

Harri the G.

49. Lois Lowe says:

RexLibris,

C. Yanni

50. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Harri the G.

He was always my favourite. Remember staring at the Sgt Pepper’s album cover for (what seemed like) hours as a kid while I listened to the record. John seemed kind of stand-offish, Paul looked like a bit of jovial prick, and, well…Ringo, enough said.

George looked the most sincere and somewhat uncomfortable in his own skin, but genuine. Reading more about him, he lead the group into some of their most famous off-beat forays like teaming up with Ravi Shankar and helping to establish the Concern for Bangladesh – another album I have somewhere that I should dig up.

John Tesh was only an option if the commenters really ticked me off. ;)

51. RexLibris says:

Lois Lowe:
    RexLibris,

C. Yanni

Why not just go for the jugular?

RexLibris:
    Unofficial straw poll:

A. George Harrison

or

B. John Tesh

What do you think?

Zamphir.

Lowetide: It’s not in the queue Jake. Sorry.

WG: I have found people normally point things out because they care. It’s a compliment to you that people are offering help. I know IT DOESN’T SEEM LIKE IT AT TIMES but generally speaking the folks who chime in are doing so with good intentions, and often deliver insightful and valuable advice.

Thanks LT.

Obvious wouldn’t have done it if it weren’t for the community you created here.

I’m listening to all suggestions.

DMW’s edits just pointed out how far I need to go and my bowels got a little watery.

Thanks for letting me spam your site to get pageviews.

WG: No worries. I hope DSF finds you, and comes back here too!

55. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: Zamphir.

You coldblooded tyrant.

It isn’t they’re fault they were born in the wrong city/cheer for the wrong team.

Though, I’ll keep that in my back pocket if they start to misbehave.

I’ve already pulled this out, just to keep them mindful of a shameful past.

Thank Gord the Oilers never stooped to that level.

56. Bank Shot says:

Woodguy:
    Bank Shot,

It really depends on the cost.

By the time the Oilers know whether an upgrade at center is marginal or not the season could already be over for them.

Looks like management just likes rolling the dice every season.

57. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

RyJo is not the target in those MacT quotes.
    No way he is available.
    No way Columbus is looking for picks.
    Talk was not of a long term solution.

It is in reference to allowing more time for development.
    No way Driz is part of the return

The target is Thorton.
    Words star player is beyond ‘incremental upgrade’
    Big net presence
    PP ability
    Return of picks and prospects suits SJ

Reasoning:
    PP talent is not a need, only a perk if elite
    Star player is beyond reasonable requirement
    Star player only stopgap for development

Not saying it will happen but if those two quotes are related then I can’t think of another player that would match.

58. Ca$h-Money! says:

Bank Shot: But we know they could have gotten a proven center in the off season for just cash.

Looks likemanagement just likes rolling the dice every season.

Interesting, which one? As far as I can tell the options were:

1. Stastny (no way in hell that would have happened short of $10million/year vs. the St. Louis offer)
    2. Grabovski: Got paid quite a bit, to play for a better team that is equally up and coming in a more attractive market, that also signed his best friend to a long term deal. No way.
    3. Ribiero: Wasn’t going to happen. He stated clearly that his focus this year was on staying out of the pressure cooker as his number 1 priority was working on his marriage and dealing with his “off ice issues”. No way that lines up with coming to Edmonton.
    4. Jokinen: Hard to say what this would have cost. I for one don’t think he was interested in coming to Edmonton given his treatment in Calgary/Calgary/Winipeg. His best years were in Florida and I suspect he wanted to move to a similar location… and then of course he signed with Nashville, which fits that formula. For all we know MacT made the man a good offer.
    5. Roy: The most realistic of the C choices available for “just cash”. Problem here is, there is plenty of reason to suspect that Arcobello > Roy today… and I’m not even sure he’s much of an upgrade on Lander to be perfectly blunt.

So I guess we could have maybe had Roy for cash. I’m pretty confident that adding Roy would have solved nothing.

59. Bruce McCurdy says:

RexLibris: You coldblooded tyrant.

Though, I’ll keep that in my back pocket if they start to misbehave.

I’ve already pulled this out, just to keep them mindful of a shameful past.

Thank Gord the Oilers never stooped to that level.

That clip might well claim “improved audio” but the VIDEO still sucks.

60. Bruce McCurdy says:

I had my own take on some of these same quotes over at CoH this afternoon, & also (quite independently, I might add) speculated the same names Thornton & Johansen. Thing about Thornton is that I’d hardly call him a net front guy; he’s played all 130 games the last 2 years and cashed all of 18 goals. Mind you, those 98 assists look pretty good. But “net front” isn’t his game.

61. haters says:

When we start the year without RJ, Anisimov, or Big Joe and we sit at something like 3-11-1, is it time to clean house from the top down ? Please ? I don’t want to see this team under the control of individuals who can’t seem to see the glaring holes they start the year with .. Every fricking year.. KLowe and gang can’t be left to it for 10 years . It’s insulting and very upsetting . These pr moves this summer are just that btw .. Very happy for Dellow but fear it’s just a or move to get us thinking of them in a positive light. I’m mildly hopeful but I’m that way every damn aug and I’m just wondering when I will have a good team to cheer for .

62. Bank Shot says:

Ca$h-Money!:
    So I guess we could have maybe had Roy for cash.I’m pretty confident that adding Roy would have solved nothing.

Roy would have been an attempt to fill a hole, and would be insurance in the case of things not turning out like expected. I would take that over absolutely nothing.

Legwand and Jokinen were guys I wanted. I highly doubt they wouldn’t have come to Edmonton if MacT had given them a Nikitin type offer.

Do you think they would have turned down an extra $1.5-$2 million per season? I don’t. Jokinen in particular has shown a willingness to go pretty much anywhere.

They were both after the money as they both signed in cities that aren’t likely to make the playoffs. Looks like Oilers were just unwilling to pay them.

63. RexLibris says:

Bruce McCurdy: That clip might well claim “improved audio” but the VIDEO still sucks.

lol. The term “digitally remastered” is not something you are likely to see ever applied.

WG: No worries. I hope DSF finds you, and comes back here too!

D.S.F. was the second comment on my first post.

Disparaging my taste in whiskey to boot.

Standard.

Looks likemanagement just likes rolling the dice every season.

I agree a 1 year with Ollie or Legwand was in order for sure.

MacT’s comments then (and now) leads me to believe he has a trade in the bag and/or he’s aiming much higher than Ollie or Legwand.

haters:

I don’t think “P.R. Move” means what you think it means.

/stevesmith

67. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: /stevesmith

I like it!

Also, laughed pretty hard at DSF being the second commenter on the blog and the bit about Irish Whiskey.

Which is probably evidence that I spend far too much time on this blog.

68. haters says:

Woodguy,

I just want accountability if the team nose dives at the start from the holes Joey Moss can see in the line up, ok ? I don’t mean Dallas, last year MacT could have added Bryz from day one. It was an obvious move that would have made the team more competitive of the hop. This year no different . No 2c, and a grievous overpay on Nitkinin … Should have had Dellow on board before the signing so he could have pointed out the mistake before it was made. SMH

69. wheatnoil says:

Woodguy,

RexLibris: I like it!

Which is probably evidence that I spend far too much time on this blog.

1) Congratulations on the new blog Woodguy. I look forward to reading your take on things. I’ve long appreciated your comments on this site.

2) I feel like that DSF comment was a little Troll-Christening. You’re really not a legitimate Oilers blog until DSF trolls you. Now, if you get yourself an Art Vandalay, you’ll know you’ve hit the big time!

70. leadfarmer says:

till_horcoff_is_coach,

You almost had a sonnet going.

71. justDOit says:

RexLibris,

L) Anything from Stinkmitt.

BTW: Don’t google that. Really.

72. Will the Oilers Trade Jeff Petry for a Centre? - The Oilers Rig - The Oilers Rig says:

[…] As “Ben” commented the other day on a Lowetide post, trading Petry for a centre like Bailey would be a case of the Oilers “rob[ing] Petry to pay Paul.” […]