COMPLETE OILERS RE 14-15 SCORING: 226 GOALS!

The long journey north begins in October. Last time the Edmonton Oilers scored 226 goals, Craig MacTavish was the coach. Taylor Hall was in Windsor scoring 38 goals at 16, Dustin Penner was in the doghouse, and the Oilers won 38 games.

NAME GP G A PTS
L TAYLOR HALL 73 33 50 83
R JORDAN EBERLE 80 30 38 68
C RYAN NUGENT-HOPKINS 82 24 44 68
R DAVID PERRON 72 23 29 52
L NAIL YAKUPOV 72 21 21 42
D JUSTIN SCHULTZ 78 12 29 41
R TEDDY PURCELL 80 11 28 39
C LEON DRAISAITL (rookie)
66 12 22 34
D KEITH AULIE 31 0 2 2
C WILL ACTON 12 0 2 2
R STEVE PINIZZOTTO 10 0 2 2
D DARNELL NURSE (rookie)
9 0 2 2
R IIRO PAKARAINEN (rookie) 7 0 1 1
C BOGDAN YAKIMOV (rookie)
2 0 0 0
D BRANDON DAVIDSON (rookie)
2 0 0 0
L MITCHELL MOROZ (rookie)
1 0 0 0
R ANDREW MILLER (rookie)
1 0 0 0
D DAVID MUSIL (rookie)
1 0 0 0

RE TOTAL FOR 2014-15 1475 226 414 640
LAST YEAR’S ACTUAL TOTALS 1475 199 348 547

I am betting:

1. The No. 1 line explodes for more than 75 goals
  2. The Oilers cobble together a 2line that scores more than 50 goals
  3. The Oilers manage a third line that posts over 30 goals
  4. The defense scores at about last season’s levels
  5. The power play is a big part of the +27 GF
  6. The Oilers employ 11 rookie skaters, but only Leon Draisaitl has any offensive impact.

39 Responses to "COMPLETE OILERS RE 14-15 SCORING: 226 GOALS!"

1. spoiler says:

So what you’re saying is no goals from the goalies this year? Geez Louise! (no offense Louise, if you are reading)

226 by the reasonable expectations method bodes very well. A good season and some bounce back years could put them well ahead of that number by the time the fat lady gets up and belts out her aria. Although RNH’s number looks unreasonably high to me, I don’t think he’s established that level of goal-scoring ability yet. (which I thought was what RE was all about?)

Now if we can only reasonably expect to bring the goals against down… Adding Ramsay, Fayne, Scrivens gives me hope, but don’t think I can expect it till I see it.

2. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The goal I’m most excited for: Lander’s 3rd.

It’s going to be in late February against the Ducks on HNIC.

3. blainer says:

I am optimistic on Arco and say he plays with Yak and Pouliot. Arco looked and Was much better than Gags last year. He wins faceoffs, hits, and is a good possession player when playing with skill.. he is a good passer and with the size and defensive awareness that Pouliot brings I am saying this is Arco’s coming out year. My changes LT are Arco 19G 32A for 51 pts.. and Yak 25G 28A for 53pts.

4. WadeRed says:

Man would it be great if Purcell could have a repeat of his ’11-’12 season. Wow, I’m really clawing for every thread in the fabric this offseason.

5. blainer says:

Penner is still not signed? Would he not be a good pickup To play with Gordon and Hendricks.. He could be had for probably 1 mil on a 1 year contract. Don’t see MacT going for him though.

6. Zangetsu says:

blainer,

I would take him in a heartbeat. Maybe he could even play center again? MacT won’t like his gritensity though.

7. Hammers says:

Well LT you moved me to do my own RE . After last year I thought I would have a shot at it . Overall we are close but I have Leon on the 2nd line , Arco on the 3rd with Purcell & Perron. I have us with a nice round number of 250 goals for . Only 3 more from the same 1st line but 64 from Leon , Yak & Pouliot .. Hope I’m right as if all we do is score 226 we will be in the bottom 3 in the west and I think there better than that . I just feel we will be in the fight come March/April .

8. jp says:

blainer:
    I am optimistic on Arco and say he plays with Yak and Pouliot. Arco looked and Was much better than Gags last year. He wins faceoffs, hits, andis a good possession player when playing with skill.. he is a good passer and with the size and defensive awareness that Pouliot brings I am saying this is Arco’s coming out year. My changes LT are Arco 19G 32A for 51 pts.. and Yak 25G 28A for 53pts.

Agree that Arcobello will likely best LT’s 7-20-27. 50+ pts is asking a lot though.

9. RexLibris says:

Robin Williams. 1951-2014. http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/aug/11/robin-williams-found-dead-suicide

So sad to see it end like that.

There will likely never be another one like him.

Also, Canucks hired Perry Pearn, so theres some good news.

Shocked about Robin Williams. Kind of sitting here stunned, actually. Funniest men of my lifetime (film/tv edition) are/were Bill Cosby, George Carlin, Jonathan Winters and Robin Williams. It’s a bad damn day.

11. striatic says:

I highly recommend watching one of Williams’ more recent roles “World’s Greatest Dad”.

It is very dark, and very good.

Maybe it would have done more to revitalize his career if it had been more “Hollywood Dark” instead of “Awkward, Uncomfortably Human Dark”, but it is a much more unique film for being the latter.

12. RexLibris says:

Yeah, I was thinking about this after I read it.

Philip Seymour Hoffman, James Garner, Robin Williams, Eli Wallach, Harold Ramis, Maya Angelou.

We’ve lost a lot this past year and we’re not finished yet. They’re all, in their own way, irreplaceable.

13. justDOit says:

RexLibris,

A very sad list, indeed. And yes, we’re not finished yet, but maybe it won’t be all bad to finish out the year? Can I hope for a certain former vice-president? Is that wrong? Maybe, but fk it.

14. OilClog says:

This Robin Williams thing.. It’s shocking truly, to go like this after being perhaps the most joyful person to watch perform.. Comedy, a cruel romance.

15. justDOit says:

Lois Lowe:
    Willis’ latest at CoH is a definitive smackdown of Van Diest. The Cam Abney bit was pure gold.

16. Gordies Elbow says:

“‘Cause you’re only given a little spark of madness, and if you lose that, you’re nothing.” – Night at the Roxy, 1978.

Hard to believe that someone who brought me so much laughter could make me this sad.

Godspeed, Mr. Williams. Godspeed.

17. RexLibris says:

OilClog:

He had a host of issues he was dealing with, and it has been my experience that those who achieve the greatest heights often also visit the darkest depths.

18. RexLibris says:

Back to the topic at hand, I’ve run a rough estimate of the Flames’ goal scoring estimates for this coming season and, while I don’t have the numbers in front of me, if I remember correctly it is sitting somewhere in the range of 45 goals from the blueline and about 152 from the forwards for a total of 197, which was New Jersey’s total from last season and 27th in the league.

226 goals would put the Oilers on par with Columbus from last season, 12th in the league. Cut down the GA and you’ve got yourself a hockey team.

19. RexLibris says:

justDOit: Had to post the link to that JW article again, and offer to buy Willis whatever drinks/meal he wants if he’s ever in Calgary. Great, great stuff.

Consilience. Putting together a collection of information to glean something of use from the whole.

There are arrogant people on both sides of this argument, Dellow is just the polarizing figure, the way that Multiculturalism or the Charter of Rights polarizes certain segments of the Canadian population.

What I find so incredibly disappointing about the response from many in the local media is how they have abandoned their professionalism and distance and swarm-editorialized this hiring by making the issue personal in relation to Dellow without once putting their grievance into context or providing direct references.

The arrogance that Dellow is accused of showing strikes me as being most likely in direct response to the typical arrogance shown to anyone who questions established, published opinion amongst those who work most closely with the team.

20. Lois Lowe says:

RexLibris: He had a host of issues he was dealing with

RexLibris: Granted, I don’t know him and haven’t paid much attention to his twitter feed, but from what information I have gathered so far, if Tyler Dellow is guilty of anything it appears to me that it is he does not suffer fools gladly.

That’s generally what my feeling has been.

21. Younger Oil says:

One of the biggest problems last season is that we only had one forward (Gagner) who scored between 25-55 points. If this season plays out as you predicted, with a much better showing from the middle 6 forwards, then this season will be much more entertaining to watch, with every line having the potential to score on each shift they play.

22. "Steve Smith" says:

Lois Lowe: As someone who has had my issues with depression over the years I have nothing but empathy for others who have to deal with it in whatever form it appears. It’s simply uncanny how suicide starts creeping into your thoughts as a solution to any kind of problem you face. It’s so irrational, but it just keeps appearing out of nowhere. It’s really easy for me to see how things start spiral out of control for some. I hope his family can find some solace in the fact that he’s no longer in pain and forgive him for not being able to ask them for help.

Amen. For me, the thing that made me realize that I’d gotten the depression under control, or that it was in remission, or whatever description you want to use, is that I was suddenly capable of walking over a bridge without thinking about jumping off of it. I had not really noticed when it started, but there was a period of years where the spectre of suicide was always with me. I never attempted it, or even came particularly close to attempting it, but I do remember one night when I became convinced that, whenever I went, that would be how (I no longer believe that).

Depression is fucked. My case was comparatively mild. It looks like Robin Williams’ wasn’t, and that’s a god-damned tragedy. And, of course, his was coupled with substance abuse which is often, in a vicious cycle, both precipitated by and an aggravating factor of depression – it’s like Leonard said, “I fought against the bottle, but I had to do it drunk.”

Anyway, I’d give all of that a shot as the Oilers’ second line centre.

23. Zangetsu says:

RexLibris,

I had the Flames pegged for 3, two of which were own goals, and the other being Connor McDavid. Honestly though, I think thats a pretty reasonable number for them.

On Dellow: I don’t think he is targeting anyone. He thinks a lot like I do, and how I think a lot of people with scientific minds think. He has written his work down, it’s not up to him to explain it every time he is in an argument. If people want to poke holes and whatnot, they need to do the research, not just say your wrong and I’m right. I have a very short patience for that myself. I haven’t heard a lot of his fights, and maybe LT could speak to his personality, but I think he handled his interview with Steve Simmons beautifully.

If we are going to have a stats guy, I want one who is going to push the envelope with the oilers brass. Someone who has the guts to say why they think they;re right, when the higher-ups don’t believe it. Kevin Lowe is an arrogant prick, so is Eakins, doesn’t mean they can’t be successful (if they toe the line of course).

I really have a problem with some sections of the MSM. They figure that one interview, or a few games where they sat in the pressbox gives them a good understanding of a player. Too many times I find myself reading articles, and thinking that this guy is just pushing the kid because he is 6ft3, and CSS has him ranked top ten. I find bloggers often present less opinion about players, which is sorta backwards.

24. spoiler says:

RexLibris:

So sad to see it end like that.

There will likely never be another one like him.

Also, Canucks hired Perry Pearn, so theres some good news.

Jesus, I just got back from Guardians of the Galaxy and had no idea. What a loss. Stunned is all I can say. Stunned like Philip Seymour, Heath, River and Phil Hartman.

25. Stanley 2018 says:

-Wow that’s an interesting RE for Draisaitl. I think he’ll play closer to 75 games and maybe score 40pts. I’m also going to predict that Dr. Drai will be playing a lot of 2C, just like RNH did his first year.
    -Perron’s goals will be higher. Better puck-moving D, and even though the cupboards bare at C he’ll still pull it off. Guy’s a 2nd line force of nature. I say he gets 27-30.
    -I’ll be surprised if Klefbom plays that many games. Goes against MacT’s wishes, and defeats the purpose of getting all these new D’s. Unless injuries force the issue of course.
    -All that said, history shows LT is pretty good at this so I’ll happily eat my words if my Siskel & Ebert proves wrong. Optimism is never a bad thing.

26. "Steve Smith" says:

Stanley 2018: -All that said, history shows LT is pretty good at this so I’ll happily eat my words if my Siskel & Ebert proves wrong.

Would that be econometric forecasters Frank Siskel and Horatio Ebert, or rumoured mystics Nostradamus Siskel and Tony Ebert?

27. oilswell says:

Zangetsu: I really have a problem with some sections of the MSM. They figure that one interview, or a few games where they sat in the pressbox gives them a good understanding of a player.

There’s that strong undercurrent, of course. But I derive sincere and shameful amusement from the way that some have chosen to frame it: a blogger is hired. (You can hear the derision when typing the term “blogger”.) As if that’s relevant? Dellow is a lawyer and hockey analyst. So lead with that. Sure, he happens to blog, but only fellow MSM and their close observers are interested in the story line where the Oilers hired a guy who writes prickly posts in pajamas from his mom’s basement.

So, sure, the sea change from 100% opaque hockey knowledge borne from experience is a factor. And maybe some might be queezy from losing the firm ground they enjoyed where it was enough to repackage trite old hockey beliefs numbly offered to them by authority interviewees, never mind whether the views had any merit.

But to be told what they have been repeating was junk by a blogger?

Well, that’s one subject matter expert that might not be as keenly interviewed as such.

28. haters says:

Fayne will be our version of Clarkson but on D

Goaltending is an issue

Center depth if weaker than last year (1 yrs exp 6 times is better than 0 years exp)

Perron will slump but yak will pick up his slack (wash)

Hall line gets us a couple spots higher than last year in standings.

It’s just how it feels and is my opinion.

Please refrain from comments that are insensitive on a night when all of us are feeling maybe a little emotional. Apologies for deleting posts that quoted material that should never appear on this site, sure you’ll understand.

30. "Steve Smith" says:

haters,

The parallels you draw between Fayne and Clarkson are asinine and dickish, you clod.

31. "Steve Smith" says:

A propos nothing, I have been reading the comments sections of a bunch of articles about advanced stats (including the Willis one linked above), because I am a very stupid man, and I think that Van Diest and his ilk have been surpassed in annoyingness by the many, many commenters who say things like “Both advanced stats and traditional scouting have their place. Traditional scouting can’t cope with the large amounts of information that advanced stats can, and advanced stats [INSERT A SO-CALLED "WEAKNESS" THAT TOTALLY MISAPPREHENDS THE NATURE OF STATISTICS].”

(The comments tend to be reminiscent of the people drawing false equivalencies between science and religion, but I’m not a stupid enough man to get into that here.)

32. mumbai max says:

I feel like I did when John Belushi died. Sad and empty. It seems so impossible that the funniest ones can also be the saddest ones. We don’t want it to be true, because it puts all of our own happiness and joy into doubt. Sigh.

33. sliderule says:

I think that old fossils like me have a problem with is that statistics are just numbers.
    These numbers are being interpreted by a bunch of folks from various walks of life.They may be lawyers newspaper writers engineers or just bloggers.In most cases their training would hardly be considered scientific.
    When I read of stats like quality of competition my ears perk up.I can understand how you rate the competition but how do you determine the exact time that’s played against this competition .When you consider the line juggling and quick changes whoever is calculating this has my total respect.I haven’t been able to find out in all my searching how they do this.Perhaps the knowledgable will be able to educate me.
    I think that the folks that are doing this work are doing good stuff and a lot of it should be usefull to teams.I would caution them that because it’s new some of the interpretations of the numbers will just be white noise.

34. Yeti says:

Advanced stats are a wonderful resource for helping pinpoint problems and strengths that can be otherwise hidden to the naked eye, even on repeated viewing. They are a fantastic tool for a coaching staff and teams would be foolish not to incorporate them into the broader team diagnostics. They should also lean on them for player recruitment.

That said, the interesting thing – which few people talk about – is going to be with the application. Coaches are going to need a hell of a lot of ingenuity to translate the trends that advanced stats can reveal into tangible on-ice changes to playing strategies – either with regard to specific players, lines or the team as a whole. Between statistical trend and changes to strategy there is maze of conflicting interpretations. Moreover, there’s no guarantee that attempting to fix one issue that advanced stats might reveal might not create new issues elsewhere.

And given the nature of statistical analysis, which requires a whole lot of data to make any substantive claim, advanced stats are not going to be able to tell a coach whether the ‘fixes’ introduced have indeed fixed the problem or even created new, worse ones. In short, advanced stats are going to be peculiarly blind in the short-term as to whether changes made to address the trends they reveal are actually working. This is an inherent and major drawback. It does not make them less important, but it is a limitation.

35. haters says:

Of course. I lost someone this weekend, this is the site I read to escape.. It’s sort of just came out.

36. russ99 says:

Any news on roster invites and Schulz’s contract? Training camp starts in 3 weeks.

“Steve Smith”: Amen.For me, the thing that made me realize that I’d gotten the depression under control, or that it was in remission, or whatever description you want to use, is that I was suddenly capable of walking over a bridge without thinking about jumping off of it.I had not really noticed when it started, but there was a period of years where the spectre of suicide was always with me.I never attempted it, or even came particularly close to attempting it, but I do remember one night when I became convinced that, whenever I went, that would be how (I no longer believe that).

Depression is fucked.My case was comparatively mild.It looks like Robin Williams’ wasn’t, and that’s a god-damned tragedy.And, of course, his was coupled with substance abuse which is often, in a vicious cycle, both precipitated by and an aggravating factor of depression – it’s like Leonard said, “I fought against the bottle, but I had to do it drunk.”

Anyway, I’d give all of that a shot as the Oilers’ second line centre.

Thanks for sharing that, interesting. It’s a tough damn area and impacts every family. I’d always like to think there would be signs, but everyone says that and we keep losing good people.

haters:

I understand. It’s a painful damn thing. No worries.

39. wintoon says:

The current attacks on Dellow smack of MSM ‘herd mentality’. We see this so often. A typical example is the characterization of Russian born players.

The worst example is the view taken by Don Cherry following Yakupov’s goal celebrating slide to centre ice. Cherry immediately branded him as selfish, a showboat and immature. This to me was over the top silly. Yak was, due to the sequence of events leading up to his goal, justifiably thrilled. Cherry’s criticism was almost immediately followed by questions from the MSM as to Yakupov’s commitment, work ethic etc.

This type of character assassination is really cheap. Those who have watched Yakupov closeely realize he is a young man who is driven to perform at the highest possible levels. This is NOT a reason or justification to villify him. He is young. Let him develop.