HEY, JOE

The San Jose Sharks’ “Summer of Stupid” continued today, as the team announced no captain will be named before training camp. Joe Thornton was the captain, but the organization is going in another direction that doesn’t (apparently) include Jumbo Joe. This is, of course, insane. Thornton doesn’t want to leave (he may have been born in Ontario, but he was made for the coast) and who can blame him? If he eventually agrees to be dealt, the odds that Edmonton would be on his ‘no fly’ list are very strong.

THEN WHY TALK ABOUT IT???

Because it’s all too beautiful. Joe Thornton solves all, well most, of the problems facing Edmonton. Crappy power play? Call Joe! Center an area of weakness? Call Joe! Plus he’s ultra cool, I can’t imagine what he’d say if Leon Draisaitl scored four goals as an Oiler. It’s a sweet dream and a distant bell, but on a Wednesday in August the idea of Joe Thornton in Oilers threads is too cool.

WHAT WOULD IT COST?

SPEEDS THORNTONMATT THORNTONMy initial thought was something around Eberle (remember Thornton is expensive cap-wise), Marincin and a pick, but Michael and Matt offered up some interesting names. If we take Perron out of the forward group, as these two gents suggest, and plug in Joe?

MUSIC!

LEFT WING CENTER RIGHT WING
TAYLOR HALL JOE THORNTON JORDAN EBERLE
BENOIT POULIOT RYAN NUGENT-HOPKINS NAIL YAKUPOV
DUSTIN PENNER BOYD GORDON TEDDY PURCELL
MATT HENDRICKS MARK ARCOBELLO TYLER PITLICK*
  ANTON LANDER IIRO PAKARINEN*

57 Responses to "HEY, JOE"

1. nycoil says:

I’ve been on board with bringing Jumbo Joe on ever since Wilson said he wanted some of the vets gone back in June. I have been of the opinion, though, that it isn’t worth mortgaging the future. If all it is going to take is Perron and a pick (and I love Perron), I am all for it. I would then actually bring Leon Draisaitl in on 3RW, and slide Purcell over to the left side (I love how you snuck Penner in there under our noses).

That said, I think the bidding war on Joe would go well north of just Perron, so I think this is a pipe dream.

2. anonymous says:

What a summer it would be. I’d pencil Yak in for 40 on Thornton’s wing.

3. Ca$h-Money! says:

Most ridiculous statement in this article is Penner playing for the Oilers.

Actually it’s the only ridiculous thing. I would love to see Thornton on this team, I really would. There is a reasonable (low but not impossible) chance that he could be made available, and I think his reputation for lazyness, lack of winning everything all by himself, and age will make at least half of the GMs in the league stay away from him.

4. Soup Fascist says:

I have been saying for awhile a couple of the “big” teams in the west are going to go into a dive and San Jose has been at the top of my list. This will do nothing to help.

It is fun to play “who plays with Joe” in the target rich environment that is the Oilers’ wingers but sadly I think you are correct in your assertion that the NMC would almost certainly include most northern locales.

But it is the dog days of August, so we might as well fill our boots.

Joe is a crazy good passer. Hall and Yak.

2nd line Pouliot / RNH / Ebs.

Yes please.

5. Melman says:

Talk about an insta-fix. I wonder how many teams he would approve compared to how many could take on his salary and make a trade fit? Florida could put a good package together for him and he could stay in the sunshine.

6. PaperDesigner says:

I’m sorry, have I stumbled into an alternate universe where the Oilers haven’t been terrible for years, players like Thorton would want to play in Edmonton and Dustin Penner was never dealt for picks and Teubert?

Because that would be pretty rad if this was the case.

7. Soup Fascist says:

Since we are clearly talking out of our a$$e$ anyway, Marleau also stripped of “A”. Not quite the same calibre as Joe but maybe an easier / cheaper “get” in terms of trade cost. Saskatchewan kid might be slightly more willing to come north than Jumbo.

Same age. Same contract. Both are big. Both have some baggage. Both would be #1 center here.

Are the Sharks poised for an overhaul?

Coach’s comments today were colosally dumb if he is trying to retain and motivate these two. Could be shades of Richards and Carter out of Philly a couple of years ago. If I was MacT I would be on the phone. With the new Roger’s deal I am sure minutes to US are pretty cheap.

8. schmed says:

I dream of what a couple years of Joe could do to this team

9. needles says:

I think (following up on the last thread) that the FIST meme should be replaced by something more in keeping with this blog, and Scarlett Johansson. Wouldn’T IT Seem more sensible that way?

10. Ryan says:

Marleau was stripped of the C back in 2009 and it didn’t amount to anything in terms of a trade.

11. Lois Lowe says:

needles:

You missed the point entirely. No one wants FIST or any other stupidity in this blog’s comments section. LT is being gracious about their presence, but the rest of us have been pretty clear that that kind of stuff is best left at ON.

12. nycoil says:

Ryan,

Tend to agree. Wilson is in a bizarre place with his proclaimed summer of rebuilding that hasn’t gone anywhere at all, but from Friedman’s last 30(+) Thoughts before summer break:

52. This is really about the dressing room. For years, Thornton’s been the alpha male, the guy in charge. The Sharks want to turn it over to Logan Couture, Joe Pavelski and Marc-Edouard Vlasic, but it has not been an easy transition. The other problem is, what happens if Thornton’s out of the picture, but no one else is ready? The Sharks would like to begin the transition. But no one’s sure how it will go.

This was from July 30th so A) it should be no surprise then, B) Friedman thinks Thornton stays anyway.

13. VanOil says:

If San Jose is insisting on a summer of stupid how about Schultz, Hendricks and a 2nd round pick for Joe?

In other news I saw Elliotte Friedman referenced today as a Sportsnet employee. It will take some getting used too. Jonathan Willis writing for Sportsnet is no big deal, it is easier to find publications he doesn’t write for.

Does this mean Friedman’s 30 thoughts are also Sportsnet property when August is over and he starts thinking again?

14. o1l3rsf@n says:

Petry, Perron, +prospect/picks and next years first

for joe + prospect/picks

15. spoiler says:

nycoil: 51. There’s been less about Joe Thornton lately. There were reports the Sharks might strip him of his captaincy, but one teammate said he doesn’t think that would force out the centre. First of all, Thornton got the “C” when it was taken from Patrick Marleau, so it’s something he’s seen before. Second, the player said Thornton wants to stay and be part of the solution, so he’d deal with it.

Actually it went to Rob Blake for a year first and then Thornton, IIRC.

16. VanOil says:

Lois Lowe,

Fist, you sound like a bully today. Save your protests for offensive comments not the merely stupid, like mine.

DUSTIN PENNER BOYD GORDON TEDDY PURCELL
    MATT HENDRICKS MARK ARCOBELLO TYLER PITLICK*

Jesus LT, MacT tries to make 3 scoring lines, but your brain won’t let it happen.

Penner-Arco-Purcell
    Hendricks-Gordon-Pitlick

Gordon has never pissed a drop offensively, now is not the time to expect his prostate to heal.

Also,

Eakins was on Bob’s show today.

Bob asked Dallas about MacT’s adds this summer.

I laughed out loud at his response.

Basically he said:

“We’ve added Experienced NHLers on the wing and we’ve added Experienced NHLers on Defence, so we’ll be a better team”

Substitute “Experienced” for “Actual” and its what we’ve been asking for since 2009.

Actually NHLers instead of Ryan Fucking Jones and Lennert How on Gord’s Green Earth Did He Get A Second Contract Petrell.

Imagine that.

Actual NHL players make the team better.

Who knew?

18. jp says:

Lol, all an elaborate ploy so LT could add Penner back into the lineup?

So you guys think Thornton would command a huge return? 35 and a 6.75M contract for 3 more years? I mean, I’d certainly be happy to take on the contract, but the end can’t be tooo far off. He’s never been a big goal scorer, but he’s only got 18 total over the past 2 seasons (130 GP). I’d certainly cringe a bit at Perron and a 1st. He’s clearly no cheap rental, and he doesn’t exactly fit with the Oilers Cup window….

Sure would be nice all the same…
    Hall-RNH-Eberle
    Pouliot-Thornton-Yakupov
    Draisaitl-Arcobello-Purcell
    Lander-Gordon-Hendricks

I’m quite pleased all accepted Penner so readily. Release the hounds!!!!

WG: Three scoring lines? Is that a unicorn on my lawn?

Eakins’ spot is here:

630 CHED – Oilers Now 2nd Half Hour Aug 20

WG: Three scoring lines? Is that a unicorn on my lawn?

Repeatedly thinking the same thing often over a long period of time can create “worn paths” along your neural net where you “tend” to think the same thing and then default to those thoughts.

Grab the machete and strike a new path sir.

3 scoring lines and a checking line are for real.

23. nycoil says:

spoiler,

Yes, you are right, but not my mistake, this was from Friedman.

24. Ducey says:

Page 2 from the “How to Get Players to Waive Their NTC Manual”.

A dangerous game.

If the Sharks don’t make the finals this year, they have to look at some changes on the management front.

And pissing off 2 of your best players isn’t exactly a great way to motivate them to win a Cup.

Woodguy: You’re brain has been trained to see 1 scoring line, 1 ok line, 1 checking line and then flotsam and jetsam.

Grab the machete and strike a new path sir.

3 scoring lines and a checking line are for real.

I’ll have what he’s having.

26. needles says:

Lois Lowe,

Okay then. Carry on with the trade proposals!

27. Spydyr says:

A first for Joe?

How old is he again?

Woodguy:

Bob asked Dallas about MacT’s adds this summer.

I laughed out loud at his response.

Basically he said:

Actual NHL players make the team better.

Who knew?

Hopefully we get an experienced head coach by Christmas. Sorry, but I couldn’ t resist!

29. Mr DeBakey says:

The logical piece for the Oilers to send in return,
    or at least the core piece,
    is Schultz.
    He who remains unsigned.
    Then sign Raphael Diaz for 2 x $1mm.

Add a pick, Roy & Arcobello.

GM-ing is EZ

30. justDOit says:

godot10: Hopefully we get an experienced head coach by Christmas.Sorry, but I couldn’ t resist!

I predict the coach will have about 115 games of experience by that point.

31. Wild Bill Hunter says:

The asking price would be too high for a 35 year old who is definitely on the decline. The $6.8 million contract is too much for a 35 year old who is definitely on the decline. Never in a million years does he okay a trade to Edmonton. This discussion is strictly a far-fetched “what if”.

32. FTO says:

I’m quite pleased all accepted Penner so readily. Release the hounds!!!!

I’ve never understood any of the dislike for Penner, he’s a pretty good player and he seems to be like a cool dude too. Man the way Anaheim ditched him seemed weird though.

He was one of my favorite players while here, wonder if he’s just really bad in the room or something? A team could get him so cheap right now… BRING BACK THE FLYING FRIDGE!!!

Wild Bill Hunter:
    The asking price would be too high for a 35 year old who is definitely on the decline.The $6.8 million contract is too much for a 35 year old who is definitely on the decline.Never in a million years does he okay a trade to Edmonton.This discussion is strictly a far-fetched “what if”.

He was 13th in points the NHL last year.

Sidney Crosby 104
    Evgeni Malkin 72
    Patrick Marleau 70
    Anze Kopitar 70
    Matt Duchene 70
    Martin St. Louis 69
    Patrick Kane 69

He’s getting up there (just turned 35), but he’s better than any other Oiler C and probably will be for the 3 years he has on his contract.

No need to apologize for your nature.

35. FTO says:

Woodguy,

Yeah he would certainly be more than worth it even for his all around play over that term, Jumbo Joe is just so damn good everywhere on the ice.

Given the crappy returns teams historically get when trading stars in the NHL I wonder what it would really take to get him? Assuming he would even come here.

36. Ryan says:

Wild Bill Hunter:

Good points.

The other not oft discussed topic is the fact that players seem to age poorly in Edmonton. I don’t know whether it’s cold weather joint pain or the lack of vitamin d, but players on the wrong side of 30 don’t fare well here.

Here in the land of remote car starters and heated parking garages, “31 and done” seems more the norm than guys oddly maintaing their offensive production till 35 and beyond like they do in other markets.

37. FTO says:

Woodguy:
    Eakins’ spot is here:

630 CHED – Oilers Now 2nd Half Hour Aug 20

38. gogliano says:

I have my doubts that Jumbo Joe fetches a big return. Does he deserve to fetch a big return? Probably, but he will be on the downslope soon and that is a big contract–not too many teams can take it on.

Thing is, the number of teams who can fit in a pricey center for 3 years isn’t 30. Then subtract the team offices who view Jumbo as someone who can’t win it all. Then subtract the teams to which Thornton won’t go. The teams that are left are your bidders and I doubt it is more than a handful. But those teams will be discounting because this is a firesale, the bidders are limited, and the man is getting old and getting paid.

I think the Sharks get far less than intrinsic value when he moves.

39. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: I’ll have what he’s having.

“I’ll have what I’m having!”

40. Ryan says:

As for the extraskater issue, it’s sort of like if shaw cancelled their hd packages. Sure you can still watch in standard def, but it’s not the same.

Most of the info with the exception of Metcalf’s brilliant toi based Qoc is available at other sites, but the slick interface is gone.

Bummer all the same.

Oh well, no more crying over spilt milk.

41. Ryan says:

Speaking of extraskater, Darryl Metcalf is the international man of mystery.

He seemed to come of nowhere and hit the ball right out of the park with his site.

I mean he wasn’t a guy from hockey prospectus lineage or the Vic Ferrari days…

I didn’t read his blog enough to know which team he follows if any???

42. Bruce McCurdy says:

FTO: And I feel bad for taking up so much of the comments here but I really liked that interview, damn Eakins gets me feeling super optimistic during the offseason.

I gotta say, Eakins is saying a lot of the right things to my ears. Proof will be in the pudding, of course.

43. TheOtherJohn says:

Money in his contract is irrelevant. He would make his wingers 10% better. In 1 day.

His game is not and never has been speed. Completely agree w WG he would be our best C for all 3 years of his contract. Do not expect he would want to move away fron SoCal but expect he’d KILL to win SC and SJS are not winning in the short term

It would allow us to bring Draisatl along slowly.

Only Q Jumbo should ask does Edm in 3 years have a better chance at being in SCF? Yup

I’d move Perron and Jultz to get it done but only if I knew Petry would resign

Penner at $1m is better than Joensuu at $950K by a mile. Ok by many many miles

44. TheOtherJohn says:

Bruce

Eakins was saying the right things last summer, too. -67 goal differential.

Agree with you completely: proof is in the pudding

45. Wild Bill Hunter says:

Woodguy,

Best scoring season: 2006/2007
    Next best: 2002/2003
    Third best: 2007/2008
    Forth best: 2005/2006

I did not say he was no longer productive. I said he was clearly on the decline. Those numbers clearly show his best before date has expired. It is also most likely the next 3 years on his $6.8 mil contract will show continued decline.

46. Wild Bill Hunter says:

For the right price (in my mind Justin Schultz + David Perron is an overpay considering his age and cap hit) Personally I would only take on that salary for a 36/37/38 year old player if the asking price was considerably lower. Even then I doubt it matters b/c like most guys playing in a warm climate with a family and a no trade contract, Joe AND MRS. JOE are highly unlikely to include Edmonton on their list of places they would like to live.

47. VanOil says:

Wild Bill Hunter: Joe AND MRS. JOE

If we only still had a coach with Swiss connections.

48. russ99 says:

I’d rather see us in on Marleau than Thornton.

Thornton is a pipe dream both that he’d come here and how much it would decimate the club to bring him here. Especially for a much older player than the core.

Still think a stopgap C (Handzus?) should be brought in on an invite as Draisaitl insurance and then fix it during the season if it doesn’t work out. I also expect MacT to be a bit more active on the waiver wire this year, especially for bottom six forwards.

49. book¡je says:

Thornton is 35. I don’t understand the logic that would have the Oilers trade away someone like Eberle for a player entering his ‘free fall’ years. It would be different if the Oilers were challenging for the cup this year.

50. Deadman Waiting says:

I skip one day and Extra Skater dies. I would probably contribute to a project where the focus is on getting the analytics exactly right. Mainly I’m programming in R these days, but like some others around here, I was a C/C++ guy for a long time back in the day. I’m not in a rush to jump on any particular project, though. I’ll wait a bit and see how the flurry shakes out. I think that if the rush job goes down the PHP/MySQL rabbit hole, there’s room for a second project with more beard stroking at the outset.

PHP is the Heartbleed Automated Construction Kit.

x % y can return a negative number when both x and y are positive integers, if x exceeds the range of an integer-typed variable. It’s possible to build a robust application in PHP, but you need a PhD in Defense Against Cuddly Syntax with Shit for Brains. R and C++ and APL (my first high-level language) are less well endowed in the cuddly syntax department.

———

I’m probably in the minority, but I think the only way to do the analytics right—long term—is to start with the first-order approximation that the coach is always right, that he’s always putting out the best available players to achieve his game-theoretic goals (unfortunately, this term can be solidly inferred only for bubble teams during Fenclose minutes; otherwise, player development ambitions begin to cloud on-ice affairs).

If a player goes off to the dressing room, he’s not available to the coach. If you put the coach at the center of your analysis, you begin to care about this kind of nuance that doesn’t show up in the shift chart. You also need to correlate the game clock with the wall clock, so that you can estimate which players are totally gassed. If Hall goes out for two long shifts in a row, and there was major network time-out in between, he’s not exactly gassed for his second shift.

Then you have to wade into whether a coach thinks that Nuge’s 27th game minute does more to help you win the game than Draisaitl’s 13th game minute.

Every player has a curve for how much quality the coach can squeeze out. MacT always used to say that if there was a flurry of penalties and Laraque sat for ten minutes, his legs would get cold and you couldn’t send him back out for the rest of the period. A player’s utility curve is a tricky affair.

But supposing you can cross this hurdle, too, you get an initial assessment of player value based on a mix of coaching decisions as well as game events on the ice. A this point you can run the analysis the other direction to see whether some coaches are marching to a different drummer, and whose actions should perhaps be counted less heavily in the player assessment metric. Unfortunately, this involves some interpolation guess work. If a player has a bad year sandwiched in between two good years, was it injury or a did his coach hire a PHP-wielding analytics guy who trusted his operators a little too much?

You also want to capture players being forced into less than ideal roles because of team need. If you don’t do this, the salary signal can’t be fully trusted (and you probably should be using this, because tens of millions of dollars are not allocated solely because of what the GM ate for breakfast that day).

It’s double hard with injuries, because the coach will often use the player in the same way as always in order to help conceal the injury. I’m not sure this always works for the best. There was a season with the Eskimos long ago where McGowan had totally blown out his top gear (and maybe more than that) but they kept sending him out there as always and running plays as if he could beat you deep, but it would never happen again. By this point in his career he had a pair of Whitney kneecaps—just a season or two removed from an MVP-ish campaign.

Probably the worst things for analytics is the nagging injury where an elite player loses one skill, but retains others undiminished (such as, we hope, Nugent’s shot). In Nugent’s case, this was all entirely public, but I’m sure there are many cases where it isn’t. The coach also knows who ate the bad chicken at the salad bar 48 hours ago, and who didn’t. At any particular moment when a coach favours one player over another, there could be exogenous factors. Or maybe a player doesn’t have the special Acton smell and the coach simply forgets him on the bench for ten minutes.

Also, a player who hasn’t skated for two weeks recovering from a foot injury need to be shaded as less than normally available, even if he’s getting regular shifts on his first game back.

Most players are at something approximating normal playing strength most of the time (the standard of “normal playing strength” declines over a long season, but this applies for all players who dress for 80 games and play in the paint).

Anyway, those are just a few thoughts off the top of my head. My sense is that the long-term analysis needs to become more coach-centric than the statistics yet developed. Really, coaches are the best proxy for all the information the public never gets. In some cases, a player hides information even from his trainers and coaching staff. Even the coach is sometimes playing with a deck of fifty-one. If one assumes that most coaches are incompetent much (or most) of the time, the analysis I desire simply can’t be done to a high level. There’s just too much pertinent information missing from the public record.

Dellow might now have access to some internal player health data. Or he might not. It’s sensitive information even among the insiders. Do the teams keep internal records of the suspected health status of players on opposing teams? “We think he sustained a broken finger right after the xmas break.” For all the guys who played against him for the next month, he’s not the qual-comp listed in the blue book.

It would be nice to do simple player splits in the meanwhile, but the next-iteration data schema should be built to last.

51. Ca$h-Money! says:

TheOtherJohn:

It would allow us to bring Draisatl along slowly.

I’d move Perron and Jultz to get it done but only if I knew Petry would resign

Penner at $1m is better than Joensuu at $950K by a mile. Ok by many many miles

The problem with Penner in the lineup isn’t that he’s bad, it’s that it won’t happen.

- MacT isn’t a fan
    - Eakins is a health & conditioning nut
    - He’s not “role model for the kids” material from a “how to be a good pro” perspective

None of this means I don’t want him on the team, I’d take him for sure. It just won’t happen; we have a much better chance of landing Joe through trade despite his high price & no trade clause than we do of signing Dustin Penner.

52. Yeti says:

Ca$h-Money!,

But dude, think of the pancake breakfasts!

53. PerryK says:

Deadman Waiting,

Excellent thoughts! I will await your forays into the analytics with great anticipation.

QoC and QoT are some what delivering this, but probably need to be shaped a bit better as per your hypothesis.

54. LostBoy says:

It’s a lovely idea, but I don’t see it making sense at the probable price point. Thornton likely has a couple of fairly productive but not elite years left in him, but giving up Eberle or a 1st or anything like that…would at best be a huge gamble that Thornton would somehow be the spark that immediately gets the whole thing rolling. Otherwise, any trade like that is going to look like one of the worst of all time really quickly (worse even than the trade which moved him to San Jose). Unless Thornton turns out to be an ageless freak like Jagr, but given the clear, slow erosion already underway it doesn’t seem like a great bet.

If he does play for SJ this season and is not the C…I actually can’t think of another team that has had two players currently playing in its top six who were both stripped of the captaincy. Bizarre.

55. Truth says:

I bet Wilson and Joe would be ok with Florida or Tampa Bay. Plenty of young pieces and plenty of sunshine for Joe. Also out of the division and conference.

I can’t see him being traded now though. If he was going to be traded why not just trade him and you don’t have to deal with him as your captain anymore. Now they look like fools for stripping both of their previous captains of their captaincy.

Everyone knows who the real leaders are in the dressing room no matter who is wearing a letter. Stripping someone of a letter is nothing but damaging to the entire group. Joe cares less about the Sharks as an organization today than he did yesterday.

56. Bruce McCurdy says:

Deadman Waiting: I’m probably in the minority

Truer words have never been spoken. And I mean that in a good way. You’re one of a kind.

57. Friday 8/22/14 – Oh Captain, my Captiain…or lack thereof | Sharks Bytes says:

[…] Dreams of bringing Jumbo to Edmonton…dreams… [Lowetide] […]