LAY YOUR MONEY DOWN

There are few times when we get a really good chance to chuckle about life, and today we have one of them. As you’ll recall, last month’s draft offered the Oilers several chances to pluck good boxcars in the lower rounds, and they passed on all but one (and that a 20-year old, undersized forward from the USHL in Tyler Vesel). Edmonton drafted a tough, physical defender with some puck skills (Lagesson), two goalies (Nagelvoort & Bouchard) and a power forward who isn’t quite scoring in the BCJHL (Liam Coughlin).

There were several players who all NHL teams left on the table, including Russian winger Vladimir Tkachev. I had him at No. 49 overall:

• (49) L Vladimir Tkachev—Small, skilled Russian with a ridiculous Q run.

Red Line had him No. 58 overall:

• Exceptionally skilled, but diminutive winger. Tiny and does not have a big frame to fill out, but he’s incredibly elusive and instinctivearound the offensive end. Super fast hands and could stickhandle in a phone booth.

ISS had him No. 98 overall:

• Crafty little offensive player with slick passing skills and offensive instincts. Also has outstanding speed but needs to get stronger and get better puck protection skills. Highly skilled with the puck on his stick and has breakaway speed. Looks smaller than listed.

Remember when Stu MacGregor talked about MacT’s draft emphasis? MacGregor: “Well with Mac, skill is really important to him. That’s something that he’s looked for. Obviously the other intangibles of character, hard work, quality of people and players who are passionate to play the game are important, but he really has a high regard for skill.

Today, we get word Edmonton has invited the undersized Russian to training camp:

neil hodgeAnd leads us to ask ‘can Edmonton sign this kid like Carolina did with Sergey Tolchinsky. My answer: No idea. The great thing is that the Oilogosphere has someone who we can trust in most (if not all) areas, and in this case it’s speeds from Hockey Symposium.

speeds twitterSo, that’s the latest. Edmonton invited a kid who is more promising that at least two prospects drafted last week, but a player who has size issues. It’s an interesting equation. I submit that we commit to re-visiting this scenario five years from today, and see where all of the players are at that time.

Lay your money down, ladies. Lay your money down.

41 Responses to "LAY YOUR MONEY DOWN"

1. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“So, that’s the latest. Edmonton invited a kid who is more promising that at least two prospects drafted last week, but a player who has size AND speed issues.”

What’s the “speed issue” with Tkachev?

From the ISS above: “Also has outstanding speed”

2. Younger Oil says:

Seems a bit like an Omark/Rajala 2.0. I like it. If he is signed, I’ll question why they didn’t just draft him in the first place, but better late than never I suppose.

With Omark and Rajala gone, it would be nice to have another small, skilled prospect to cheer like hell for.

3. Ca$h-Money! says:

I’ve read conflicting reports on his speed. Interesting.

Also, I’m pretty sure Winnipeg did this with Axel Bloomqvist from the Lethbridge Hurricanes last summer.

4. Big Dan says:

Can a player that passed through the draft go straight to the ahl? If so, that would be a great coup. The barons are short on offence after Williams and miller, unless Hamilton rebounds. Maybe he and yakimov develop chemistry.

Romulus Apotheosis:

What’s the “speed issue” with Tkachev?

From the ISS above: “Also has outstanding speed”

6. TheOtherJohn says:

7. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Younger Oil: If we were to sign him and send him back to the Q though, he wouldn’t count against the 50 man roster right? Or does the situation of him being undrafted change things?

AFAIK, it would “slide” like any other drafted and signed junior player, i.e., not count. See Nurse last year.

It only counts if you are playing pro NA hockey IIRC.

8. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: Heh. That’s my bad. I read Jon’s piece that mentioned it, included it in the story and then read through two scouting reports (and Elite prospects) without changing. He has size issues, but speed appears to be a plus.

That’s less a “concern” than a “not elite level” and the comment about size makes you wonder about the expectations of the viewer/scout who wrote this.

At any rate, I’m ecstatic about this move. Hope they sign him and send him back to junior.

Romulus Apotheosis: Red Line says: “For a guy his size, he is not blazing fast, but very agile and good at finding open ice.” which I assume you’re referring to.

10. Numenius says:

LT, I don’t think your photo has the right Tkachev. He has a right handed shot, and this guy looks left.

As for laying the money down, I’d bet on Tkachev over all of those picks except Nagelvoort and Lagesson.

11. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: I don’t know if I’m ecstatic, they could have drafted him and then we wouldn’t have the drama. But if they get Tkachev for just money, well that’s a good day. The Carolina signing was in August.

I get ecstatic easy in August and I followed Tkachev right through the draft hoping he’d end up here somehow.

Not drafting him then doing this suggests one of three things, in order of likeliness:

1. they invite people to camp every year. they never sign them. this is no different. they’re just getting the kid into the system should something happen down the road. good for Russian folklore.

2. they had him on their list, but not high and a few scouts were better sweet talkers on draft day. But, when they saw he went undrafted, MacT and Bob Green re-thought the issue and reached out to his agent. They hope to make something happen and get some extra cheese for nothing. They’ll sign him.

3. they are gaming the system. they guessed he would go undrafted and thought they would have a reasonable shot at pulling something like this off. they’ll sign him.

12. Bank Shot says:

This is how Martin Jones became a King.

8.9 Eligibility for Play in the League. No Player shall be eligible for play in the
    League unless he:
    (a) had been claimed in the last Entry Draft, or was ineligible for claim under
    Section 8.4; or
    (b) had been eligible for claim in the last Entry Draft, but was unclaimed, and:
    (i) had played hockey in North America the prior season and was age
    20 or older at the time of the last Entry Draft, and signed an SPC
    which was signed and registered with the League between the
    conclusion of the Entry Draft and commencement of the next NHL
    Season.
    (ii) had played hockey in North America the prior season and was
    under age 20 at the time of the last Entry Draft, and signed an SPC
    which was signed and registered with the League between the
    conclusion of the Entry Draft and commencement of the Major
    Juniors season (except that if such Player had signed an NHL tryout
    form, which was signed and registered with the League during
    the aforesaid time period, then the deadline for signing and
    registering with the League an SPC with such try-out Club shall be
    the commencement of the NHL Season).

Numenius:

Damn Russians! Same thing happened with Slepyslappy. Yeah, I can’t get upset over Lagesson or Nagelvoort, and it’s hard to be bitchy about the fifth round. But I’m managing it!

14. Melman says:

OT, but at what point does Schultz remaining unsigned become “a thing”?

15. Numenius says:

Bank Shot,

Nice find, Bank Shot.

Bank Shot:
    This is how Martin Jones became a King.

League unless he:
    which was signed and registered with the League between the
    conclusion of the Entry Draft and commencement of the Major
    Juniors season (except that if such Player had signed an NHL tryout
    form, which was signed and registered with the League during
    the aforesaid time period, then the deadline for signing and
    registering with the League an SPC with such try-out Club shall be
    the commencement of the NHL Season).

Excellent, thanks.

17. Numenius says:

Lowetide: Yeah, I can’t get upset over Lagesson or Nagelvoort, and it’s hard to be bitchy about the fifth round. But I’m managing it!

I know what you mean. Was hoping for something sexy in the later rounds but all that seemed to turn up was a bunch of ugly!

18. alice13 says:

TheOtherJohn: Off topic: can someone get Draisatl a permanent nickname so LT can rest easy. Worst: Lieutenant Eric did not know who Keyser Soze was, but does read books.

I think The Big German ought to be known as PeeWee Herman.

Which shortens nicely to Herman, and then we can imagine him as Herman Munster too.

Herman.

19. bassguy says:

Hi guys, just so you know, as you might or might not..Lieutenant Eric, if hes Canadian is pronounced `Leftenant“..with an `F `sound..it has always bugged me a bit because I had to learn the hard way being in the military for a while as I had made this mistake and got , well, corrected lets say!..haha..so make that happen LT!

bassguy:

Oh we’ve had that chat. :-)

21. bassguy says:

Lowetide: Oh we’ve had that chat.

Oh ,ok, ya Im sure you have had that feed back!..its all good as they say…did I tell you I saw joni sitting outside what is now called the empress pub on whyte ave.(way back when she played the folk festival).wow, that was amazing as I stopped and looked at her and thought, holy shit!..its fun to be(more than fun maybe way more)to be in the ,however fleeting, company of a great artist..

22. delooper says:

Finally I’m getting actual targeted advertising on your site, Lowetide. I bought an autonomous quad copter drone on-line about a month ago…. and now I’m getting helipal.com adverts. Still getting cougarlife ads, too. But quad copters are really fun.

23. Pouzar says:

Why isn’t the “Big German refusing to play Junior” not getting more play here?

Was I late to the party on that?
    Will it burn a year on his ELC if he bolts for Europe?
    I know it’s moot cause he is making the team for sure now.
    Thoughts?

Pouzar:
    Why isn’t the “Big German refusing to play Junior” not getting more play here?

Was I late to the party on that?
    Will it burn a year on his ELC if he bolts for Europe?
    I know it’s moot cause he is making the team for sure now.
    Thoughts?

1. There’s conflicting reports on it, I’m not certain of the actual story. Will address when this becomes public.

2. Leon’s in Edmonton for 2014-15.

3. Prince Albert is in the rear view. Have you SEEN the depth chart?

4. The Euro angle probably aided the neg of the contract from player side, perhaps getting more bonus OR a guarantee of playing time/Euro option.

Non-story. he’s not going to Prince Albert or Priince Aalbeert.

25. Pouzar says:

Well why isn’t the Eberle quote “I’ve never felt better” not getting more play?
    Why do you hate him LT? Why? Nobody ever comes to camp feeling as good as Eberle is now!!!!
    NOBODY!!!!!!!!!!

Bank Shot:
    This is how Martin Jones became a King.

League unless he:
    which was signed and registered with the League between the
    conclusion of the Entry Draft and commencement of the Major
    Juniors season (except that if such Player had signed an NHL tryout
    form, which was signed and registered with the League during
    the aforesaid time period, then the deadline for signing and
    registering with the League an SPC with such try-out Club shall be
    the commencement of the NHL Season).

Martin Jones signed his ELC in 2008, so it was under the old CBA.

Do you know if that clause is the same in the new CBA?

I have the CBA, but have no desire to grind through it right now.

bassguy:

Lieutenant

Lou Ten Ten

Tatanka

Buffalo

Pouzar:

Well why isn’t the Eberle quote “I’ve never felt better” not getting more play?
    NOBODY!!!!!!!!!!

29. Ryan says:

Lowetide: lol. I’m never going to be critical of a summer article about the Oilers, because it’s a long 60 days and this team isn’t exactly handing out the Glengarry leads.

Lol. When you’re the Pied Piper aka Lt, you don’t need the Glengarry leads. :). Seriously, I don’t imagine it’s that easy for you, but it’s a wonder how enthralled you keep us with this team during the dog dates of sumner.

Best line from that movie… “Who ever told you that you could work with men?”

Seriously, try that on a coworker… There’s just no comeback to that one.

Best storyline this summer is the Dellow hire. Having the Oilers hire Dellow is a drum that I’ve been beating for years… Still though, I can’t believe that it actually happened. Smart smart guy that Dellow…

On the outside chance the Oilers make the playoffs next year, who gets cast as Dellow when they make the movie?

30. Maurey says:

If they’re inviting passed over players to camp, I’d like to see Goalie Ty Edmonds from Prince George Cougars. He was on Cherry’s team in the top prospects game. And Brett Boehm from the Yorkton Terriers (SJHL), going to Minn-Duluth next year, 6’3″. I’d also love to see Nikita Yazkov (6’1″, Windsor Spitfires) get invited, if just to confuse all the commentators with Yakupov, Yakimov, Nikita Nikitan and Nikita Yazkov all on the same team. Plus, he may have had a bad year for adjusting to N. American game. It was his 1st year over here. I’d give it a shot.

Oh, and I think Leon should be “Leon, Der Profi” – The Professional. Could chant “Profi, Profi, Profi”. It’s the German name for for Leon, The Professional movie.

31. maxwell_mischief says:

searching for a Samsonov

32. Spilt Milk says:

Ryan,

How about Nick Kroll, aka Ruxin from The League, to play Dellow

33. russ99 says:

Hope he sticks, OKC could really use a player like him on a team full of pluggers and checkers.

34. Ryan says:

Spilt Milk:
    Ryan,

How about Nick Kroll, aka Ruxin from The League, to play Dellow

Omg. Nick kroll is perfect! Well done, sir!

35. Deadman Waiting says:

I’d wait until we see ‘Lean’ break out his big celly after he leans off multiple checks from blueline to corner and slot to post.

Michael Moss: The day they took the Cheese out of Cheez Whiz

So it was with considerable alarm that [Dean Southworth] turned to his wife one evening in 2001, having just sampled a jar of Cheez Whiz he’d picked up at the local Winn-Dixie supermarket. “I said, ‘Holy God, it tastes like axle grease.’ I looked at the label and I said, ‘What the hell did they do?’ I called up Kraft, using the 800 number for consumer complaints, and I told them, ‘You are putting out a goddamn axle grease!’ ”

Dean Southworth is a retired Kraft food scientist involved with the creation of the original product. Turns out, the original inventor of Cheez Whiz combines passion with potty mouth. Who knew? Modern Kraft doesn’t give a rat’s ass about this tired war horse. Like their historical German counterpart Krupp, they are far too busy churning out a froufrou assortment of new and improved cheesy cheeseless cheese products.

———

Axel: A German/Scandinavian name meaning “father of peace”.

———

Still Trying: Will my child be “made fun of” if we name him Aksel or Axle?

Amy Sue [best answer]: The truth is that most kids don’t know what an axel is, and if they are old enough, they are past the point of maturity to find it fun to “make fun” of a name.

I think a little quantification is in order here. Just what point would that be, exactly?

Fifty years into my own quest for mirthless maturity, I still reel at what the temperate tykes bequeath to the Urban Dictionary while noshing their crusty axle-grease sliders in the celerity of their own rooms.

36. wintoon says:

There has been some discussion regarding an appropriate nickname for Leon Draisaitl.

My suggestion is Drei (pronounced ‘dry’).

In German this means three and Leon was avery significant 3rd overall draft pick for the Oilers. Not only that but it rhymes with the pronunciation of his name – Draisaitl.

As a last comment, this nickname is short, relevant and would not lend itself to improper usage or slurs from the haters.

37. Oilanderp says:

The Wildcats website does list him as number 21 and right handed.

38. Numenius says:

Oilanderp:

The Wildcats website does list him as number 21 and right handed.

That wasn’t the original photo.

39. Bruce McCurdy says:

Deadman Waiting: new and improved cheesy cheeseless cheese products.

“Genuine simulated cheese food” — isn’t that what all the labels say?

40. Maurey says:

Maurey,

I took another look at Yazkov’s season after my comment and really think they should be looking at him seriously. He was a first-year-in-North-America rookie last year and had a very slow start. This season he will be a top 3 or top 6 forward and we should see his numbers rise substantially. He’s got decent size at 6′-1″. Not many rookies get drafted and I think he was right on the bubble.