MAKE THOSE CORGI’S DANCE

Taylor Hall pushes the river, and Taylor Hall is the very best of the Edmonton Oilers. A recent article by Derek Van Diest in the Edmonton Sun offers an encouraging look into the mindset of the ‘face of the franchise.’ He’s ready, he’s rested, he’s had a full summer to prepare and the ‘fire in his eyes’ burns brightly. In a season where nothing rhymed, where the Corgi’s howled all night long and into the sunrise, Taylor Hall finished inside the top 10 in league scoring.

His next trick? Dragging this sorry carcass of a franchise into the promised land of the playoffs.

I’m not going to quote the entire article (because it’s a must read) but did want to post this Hall quote:

• “That was probably the main reason why I didn’t go to Worlds, I wanted to give myself a really good summer to train. It seemed like every summer I either had surgery or World Championships or an ankle to heal, so this summer was good for me in that regard. I got some good training in, I got on the ice a little bit earlier than I usually do, and hopefully, that helps out. I’m feeling good, I’m feeling healthy, I’m ready to go and I can’t wait for camp to start.”

Music! With due respect to Hockey Canada, the Edmonton Oilers sent a generation of their best players over there for the glory of the flag, and there were times when our man Smyth was running on molasses and binder twine. Again, with respect, screw ‘em. Our man Hall, our man Nuge, our man Eberle, they are needed for 82 league games in the toughest league on the planet (probably not technically true, that Quebec league where they beat the living daylights out of each other sounds tougher).

BTN CORSI ON (OCTOBER 2013)

behind the net forwards 13-14 10-20

This was early on, during the swarm period that cut down on the shots against (but of course the quality of those shots was murder). Notice the third and fourth lines here—say what you will about Eakins but our man MacTavish saddled him with some real lug nuts. In March, Ken Warren published an article that included a quote from Ales Hemsky about the Edmonton Oilers.

• Hemsky:I don’t know how to explain it. If somebody knew, they should step up and help them, but they haven’t figured it out yet. Maybe it’s just the kids. They have to step up and lead the team to the playoffs. They’ve been there for a long time and it’s their time, you know. They can’t only blame older guys or change their fourth line. They’ve got to start leading the team to the playoffs. Be leaders. That’s probably the one thing. But they are all great guys and I had a great time and hopefully they will turn it around and get into the playoffs. People deserve it there, you know. It’s a hockey city. People love their hockey and it’s painful.”

HALL EXTRA SKATER, VALENTINE’S

hall es

• Dellow at the time: What does this all tell us? I see three issues. First, the Oilers have become much more likely to dump pucks into the offensive zone with Hall on the ice at 5v5. Second, (in this sample at least but keep in mind that it was picked because it was pretty representative of the whole), they suck at retrieving those pucks. Third, they’ve gotten worse at generating shot attempts when they do carry the puck into the offensive zone.

I’d post the links, but the Hockey Gods have shined on us by sending Tyler to help with the three issues above. The way I see it, everyone seems to be locked and loaded to the task at hand: Eakins brought in Ramsay to help with communication and soften the message when needed; Eakins brought in Dellow to offer solutions to problems in real time; and Taylor Hall burns with the fire of a thousand suns to turn this team into something better, to begin a brand new day.

Godspeed, men. Make those Corgi’s dance.

44 Responses to "MAKE THOSE CORGI’S DANCE"

1. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I’m very surprised to see that Ryan Hamilton had a successful 4 minutes of play.

Romulus Apotheosis:

Perron will continue to score and piss people off
    Lander calms down and the game starts to come to him
    DrySaddle will play like a man
    Both goalies will make strong bids to be called the starter

Eakins will find the optimal forward sets and get the rowers to pull in sync
    Ramsay will find the optimal pairings and have a 5v4 SF/60 over 70

Dellow will find best practices for every 5v5 situation and they will be implemented by the coaches

MacT won’t trade Petry for less than a strong 2C

DrySaddle will play like a man
    Both goalies will make strong bids to be called the starter

Eakins will find the optimal forward sets and get the rowers to pull in sync
    Ramsay will find the optimal pairings and have a 5v4 SF/60 over 70

MacT won’t trade Petry for less than a strong 2C

In Gord’s name we pray.

I am entering into 46 days of solitude. This shall be my mantra.

6. Frank The Dog says:

No mention of Rocky?
    He brings a talent for real time analysis of the game from the press box, no doubt augmented by Dellow, plus he brings youth to the coaching staff and makes the dressing room a more enjoyable place to be for the boys on that shiny new bus.

7. wordbird says:

Lowetide: 4.27,Rom. 4.27

For a second I thought this was a verse from the Bible.

wordbird: For a second I thought this was a verse from the Bible.

Ha!

Frank The Dog:
    No mention of Rocky?

Plus he has knowledge of the OKC boys. A nice add to be sure.

10. Diesel says:

It’s no secret that getting off to a good start (or not) can be a critical factor in how a season turns out. Wins/losses/points are one thing, but this team needs to rally the fans early. Eight of our first 11 regular season games are at home, and Eakins himself has said they need to earn the advantage of making Rexall a tough place for the opponent.

Beyond that, any early negativity on home ice has the potential to let old emotions and mental patterns creep back into the fold.

You could call it “The Hunt for Red October”, but the last thing we need is a defecting Russian.

Diesel:

(1) Getting off to a good start and (2) 9-game trials for Draisaitl and Nurse (3) Toonces driving the car.

I expect that we’ll all be as bald as Eakins assistant coaches by Halloween. But someone’s hair will be perfect, which is the important thing.

12. hunter1909 says:

Hall naturally should be the captain, but for yada yada yada.

Martin Marincin was my personal breakout player last season. During a random game, Marincin decided during a random stoppage, right after a goalmouth scramble to lean over a rival forward. Then he just kind of hung there, while the(smaller) forward had to put up with it.

It’s nothing particularly quantifiable, just one of those little things that shows this kind of hockey fan(tier 0) exactly what I hated about Tom Poti/Gilbert, more yada yada yada.

My two fave incoming/AHL prospects are Khiara and Moroz; both players who I instantly took to the day each was drafted. Touch wood, neither’s been seriously injured.

Injuries are what kill a lot of NHL dreams.

13. Frank The Dog says:

Off-topic: if you win 36 games, lose 36 in regular time, and lose 10 in OT/SO, is that a .500 or a .439 season?

14. hunter1909 says:

Frank The Dog:
    Off-topic:if you win 36 games, lose 36 in regular time, and lose 10 in OT/SO, is that a .500 or a .439 season?

If you’re a yuppie, then it’s probable to be .500

If you think yuppies tend to be self-glorifying assholes, then it isn’t.

: p

15. Lloyd B. says:

Frank The Dog,

I dislike the loser point. You lost the game! No points should be given for that. It’s Bettmans idea of keeping more teams in the playoff chase longer because more teams are closer to the bottom team hanging onto a playoff spot and the loser point lets you creep up. ( Sorry if the sentence is a little long to make my point DMW ) However,the other team also creeps ahead so it’s a wash. Fools game but the masses seem to have bought into it. So my answer is 439.

16. Lloyd B. says:

Guess that takes me out of the yuppie crowd.

17. Hammers says:

That first 11 games maybe the key for the season . 4-2 +2 at home 1-1-1 away gives us 13 points the absolute minimum they need .They need a good start and so do we to be able to have some hope . Would like to see 15 -16 points . Can they do it ?

18. Frank The Dog says:

Lloyd B.,

On further reflection I suppose it depends on the league. If its NHL then .439, because OT/SO forces a win/lose, while in leagues that allow tied games would see that as a .500 record – if the score remains tied at the end of OT and there is no SO.

19. Ducey says:

godot10,

From the DVD article:

Playing for the same head coach for two consecutive years should also benefit Hall heading into the year. In his four previous seasons with the Oilers, Hall has played for three different coaches, all seemingly wanting different things from him. This year, Dallas Eakins will be back behind the Oilers bench.

“That’s a really nice way to go into a year,” Hall said. “There is no awkward handshake at the start of the season (with new coach), it’s a business-like attitude now. I think Dallas feels really comfortable that way and I think all of us players over the course of 82 games got to know what Dallas expects from us and now we can hit ground running at camp.”

Unfortunately there was no mention of Eakins’ hair.

For me, the real deal will be if Eakins is there to shake hands fall 2015. Because as much as we want this to go well, the Oilers do have real and obvious holes in the lineup. Dallas Eakins is exposed here, despite the changes made over summer.

Can MacTavish save him? We wait.

21. bill needle says:

Eakins will find the optimal forward sets and get the rowers to pull in sync
    Ramsay will find the optimal pairings and have a 5v4 SF/60 over 70

MacT won’t trade Petry for less than a strong 2C

In Gord’s name we pray.

22. bill needle says:

bill needle,

I know these are words of hope but the chances these will happen are far less than the chances of, say, only five of them happening.
    I wish Dellow all the best, but he is, like all the other newly-hired NHL analytics experts, an unproven commodity with games on the line.

23. Bank Shot says:

Hammers:

The schedule is about as good as it gets over the first 25 games. Only 9 games against teams that are likely to be playoff teams.

If the Oilers are going to make any noise they’ll need a strong start because it only gets tougher as the season rolls on.

24. Bank Shot says:

DrySaddle will play like a man
    Both goalies will make strong bids to be called the starter

Eakins will find the optimal forward sets and get the rowers to pull in sync
    Ramsay will find the optimal pairings and have a 5v4 SF/60 over 70

MacT won’t trade Petry for less than a strong 2C

In Gord’s name we pray.

Really puts things in perspective.

Ducey:
    godot10,

From the DVD article:

Hall played the worst Corsi-wise under Eakins. And yet some people think playing for the same coach, the one he played worst under, will now make him better.

26. Dicky94 says:

This will also be the year Hall takes over as the leader on the team. He is sick of losing and will be on fire this year. Going to be fun to watch!

27. RexLibris says:

OT, but Patrick Stewart did one of those Ice Bucket Challenges, and I think this is the most mature and effective response I’ve seen yet. I wish I could say that it is exactly what I would do.

28. nycoil says:

Lowetide: Marc Arcobello: Mathlete.

Gold, Jerry, gold!

RexLibris,

Yes, awesome. I did mine today, recycled sea water though and did it at the beach so as not to waste water, and donated to other causes as well.

29. Braden88 says:

Woodguy:
    Jultz will find magic with a new partner

i hope it sticks!

30. Braden88 says:

Bank Shot: Pretty much all of those will have to happen in order for the Oilers to make the playoffs.

Really puts things in perspective.

I never did like this traditional Oilers fan view. “We need everything to go right and/or everything to be fixed if we want to make the playoffs.”

I would love to heard the opinion from a blogger or in depth analyst for the LA Kings or Chicago Blackhawks. Every team has its flaws and shortcomings.

We didn’t fix everything this summer, and likely not everything will go right this season. What we are hoping for is what cannot be predicted. That we play to our advantages on the ice, isolate our shortcomings, and do both of those better that the majority of teams in the league.

We are not perfect but I remain determined and hopeful that our improvements combined with a unified team atmosphere will pay dividends this season. I think we will all be pleasantly surprised!

31. RexLibris says:

Setoguchi to the Flames. One year 750K.

Nice deal for both sides. Puts a hurdle in front of the kids there to get a roster spot.

Lowetide: Marc Arcobello: Mathlete.

Bah!

Did that on my phone and missed it.

No excuse though.

I feel shame.

Woodguy: Bah!

Did that on my phone and missed it.

No excuse though.

I feel shame.

Never a need to feel shame when the blog host is being a dink. :-)

34. justDOit says:

Braden88: I dont know if you just coined that phrase, but its the first i have heard of it and i love it. Jultz. it totally fits, he’s the guy that give us that Jolt of offense!

i hope it sticks!

It’s a holdover name from when both Nick and Justin patrolled the blue – Nultz and Jultz became the norm. Not sure who coined it, but it is good.

35. spoiler says:

Swayze Waters… is this guy a field goal kicker or a health spa?

36. Frank The Dog says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

godot10: Hall played the worst Corsi-wise under Eakins.And yet some people think playing for the same coach, the one he played worst under, will now make him better.

Because Ramsay, Rocky and Dellow >>> their predecessors

37. RexLibris says:

I’ve missed the majority of the game but…why is Nichols in? Reilly injured?

RexLibris:
    I’ve missed the majority of the game but…why is Nichols in? Reilly injured?

Yes. First series of the game. Thumb, x-rays don’t know results.

39. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Yes. First series of the game. Thumb, x-rays don’t know results.

Thanks, just as I finished typing it they mentioned it on the radio.

40. spoiler says:

Lowetide: Yes. First series of the game. Thumb, x-rays don’t know results.

Looks to be okay after that series involving Nichols’ helmet.

i hope it sticks!

First I read of it was Colby Cosh on twitter delineating between Nick Shultz (Nultz) and Justin Shultz (Jultz)

I liked it.

Dellow figured a huge chunk of it was post faceoff issues. Eakins hired him.

Eakins also hired the guy who got ATL to be 50% CF team.

Some people ignore the functional changes the coach has made because many axes need grinding.

43. Romulus Apotheosis says:

wordbird: For a second I thought this was a verse from the Bible.

haha. that’s priceless.

I just looked it up and we are out of luck. unfortunately Romans 4 ends at 25 and then clicks over to 5.

FWIW Rom 4.25 reads: “He was delivered over to death for our sins and was raised to life for our justification.”