OILERS SIGN DRAISAITL

The Edmonton Oilers signed Leon Draisaitl to an entry-level deal. Contract details should be up on capgeek later today. Draisaitl has a really good chance to make the Oilers this fall, I’d guess on a second line with Nail Yakupov and one of Benoit Pouliot or Teddy Purcell. I wish they’d give him a real challenge for this roster spot in the fall, but it sure doesn’t look like it from here.

EDMONTON OILERS 2014-15 (PROJECTED)

LEFT WING CENTER RIGHT WING

ANDREW FERENCE JUSTIN SCHULTZ
KEITH AULIE

GOAL
  BEN SCRIVENS
  VIKTOR FASTH

NHLE: Leon Draisaitl (WHL) 15-25-40

• Red Line: Huge German centre is tenacious in puck pursuit with his relentless forecheck often creating chances for linemates. Dominates the game down low with outstanding puck protection. Constantly outthinks the opposition and knows where his outlets are at all times. Has learned to use his size to carve out space for himself and effectively separate opponents from the puck. Strong hockey sense in all three zones leads to good positioning. Traditional playmaking centre finds ‘mates with crisp, accurate passes. Intelligent, two-way, classically schooled centre. Outshone Reinhart in head-to-head action against Kootenay.
  • ISS: Draisaitl could be one of the biggest wildcards of the entire draft. There is no doubting his talent. He has good size, great puck skills, strong understanding of
    possession and puck management and could be considered an elite playmaker with the puck on his stick. He can at times remind of the likes of Getzlaf, Jagr,
    Thornton and Malkin but he can also fall off the radar very quickly. When he is on, he can be nearly unstoppable and can absolutely decimate opposing defensive
    structures and goaltender’s confidence. He could be a steal wherever he is selected but will need to add some further maturity and consistent scoring punch if he
    is ever to meet the potential he has shown in flashes up to now.
  • Corey Pronman: Draisaitl is a great passer who can beat defenders with skill, puck protection, determination or his shot. I’ve heard some scouts suggest him as a top-3 pick, but I’d like to see him get quicker before I put him in that range.
  • Craig Button: Leon is a big centre who is smart, can make plays and can impact the game in multiple ways. He’s the type of centre who is coveted by many NHL clubs because of his combination of size and skill.
  • WHL from Above: Draisaitl has arguably the most raw talent of any WHL prospect for the 2014 NHL Draft. From my viewings, his best asset is his vision. He has a great ability to slow the play down and set up linemates with super feeds on either the forehand or backhand, with his backhand sauce being something to sit back and marvel at. That ability to slow down the play has been seen as a knock by some, as he tends to attempt to slow the pace down constantly, instead of showing an ability to play in a faster environment. His skating is also another area of concern as he’s got a choppy, ugly stride. I think that’s definitely an area of concern, but has been an area that many players have improved upon in the past. He really had a great second half of the season, putting the Raiders on his back and shrugging off a sub-par appearance at the World Juniors for team Germany. He also put together a strong performance for Germany at the World Championships, proving that he can look pretty good on the ice against some NHL talent, despite his skating concerns. Overall I think he might have the most potential of any WHL player in the draft and I wouldn’t be shocked if a team took him in the top 3 picks.
  • Bruce McCurdy, Cult of Hockey: The big centre (listed as 6’1, 209) was neither overly physically aggressive nor a speedster, but largely impressed this observer with his overall command of the game. The play went through his stick constantly, and for the most part, good or at least promising things developed thereafter. He showed a couple of bursts of what I would term “situational speed” but his A game is clearly one of controlling the play rather than pushing it. As I said to my voice recorder at one point, “When the puck is on Draisaitl’s stick, he owns it. Even if there’s a guy in his kitchen he’s in full control.” And later, “Very calm with the puck on his stick, not quite nonchalant but knows how much time he’s got, which in this league is a lot. Big and strong and can dangle the puck out of reach of the man who’s on him, pick his spot and distribute… A lot of subtle stuff, some little mistakes at the end of shifts, but with the puck on his stick he makes a lot of good decisions.”
  • Central Scouting’s B.J. MacDonald: “He’s the best prospect I’ve seen from this draft class at protecting and handling the puck; he’s very Jaromir Jagr-esque. He protects the puck, makes those button hooks and hits guys coming in late. He’ll hold onto that puck until he sees the right play to make. He has a great wrist shot and good snap shot, and can surprise a lot of goalies with it.”

25 Responses to "OILERS SIGN DRAISAITL"

1. vinotintazo says:

Welcome Leon, The Professional.

2. raventalon40 says:

vinotintazo:
    WelcomeLeon, The Professional.

I prefer Dr Drai

3. Lois Lowe says:

My preference is Leon the Teuton.

4. Ducey says:

I’d be willing to give this guy a shot at 2C.

5. vinotintazo says:

Ducey,

And somehow sheltered please!

6. Hammers says:

Another add to the list , Ebs , Hall , RNH , Yak , Nurse , Leon . Looks fantastic on paper especially when Klefbom another 1st and Martin are added . That’s 8 players with 7 from the 1st round . We just want to see it come to fruition ! Please !

7. blainer says:

18 goals and 30 A passing the puck to Yak.. Book it..

8. "Steve Smith" says:

Ducey,

That’s crazy talk.

9. bry_oil says:

Hammers,

don’t forget that Puliot, Gordon and Perron were all in the 1st as well.

10. Numenius says:

This is a month old already, but did anyone read this article about NHLE and Draisaitl?

Fascinating article. Some conclusions:

1. The actual average Point Retention% (PR%) for the OHL to the NHL is not in fact higher than for the combined WHL/QMJHL, when ignoring the top 2 overall draft picks. It’s the disproportionate number top 2 draft picks from the OHL that makes the OHL seem a better league overall NHLE-wise.

2. Playing immediately after draft year and being taken high in the draft both raise the actual average Point Retention% substantially.
    - Normal NHLE% for OHL and WHL = 30%
    - Actual Average PR% for playing in NHL immediately after draft (regardless of draft pedigree) = 36.8%
    - Actual Average PR% for playing in NHL immediately after draft and drafted in top 3 = 41.7%

3. Therefore, if Draisaitl plays in the NHL this year, his *reasonable* expected PR% should be closer to 36.8% at the low end and 41.7% at the high end (given sufficient playing time, etc.). With some slight adjustments to CHL ppg (explained in the article), I calculated that this amounts to NHL 0.57 ppg (47 points/82gms) at the low end and 0.65 ppg (53 points/82gms) at the high end. Those are both based on averages, of course, so the reality could be much lower or higher. But a 50 point season (given 82 games) is a perfectly reasonable possibility.

4. LT’s RE for Draisaitl isn’t far off from this, but errs on the low side at 0.51 ppg (34 points/66 games). I’d say that is actually still reasonable because he’ll likely play less than, say, Nuge or Hall did in their rookie years, particularly less on the PP.

What does it all mean?

If Leon is ready for the NHL this year, it’s reasonable to expect a solid year of at least 0.50 ppg (and up to 0.65 ppg).

Edit: Welcome to the team, Leon! (sorry, began this post under a different thread)

11. Ducey says:

“Steve Smith”: Ducey, That’s crazy talk.

Yeah. I know. Further crazy talk: I’d also use up one of the 4 remaining 50 man contracts and sign Loktionov at $1 million for a year to compete with Arco and Leon for the 2 and 3 C spots.

12. G Money says:

Ducey: Yeah.I know.Further crazy talk:I’d also use up one of the 4 remaining 50 man contracts and sign Loktionov at $1 million for a year to compete with Arco and Leon for the 2 and 3 C spots.

Let’s skip the middle man. I am prepared to give that $1m in cash a shot at 2C.

13. Pouzar says:

Does he wear #29 and risk getting beat up by Moroz for it or does he flash #71 and become Malkin Lite?

14. VanOil says:

I am pleased the young man is signed.

Sounds like Yakimov, Yakupov, Draisaitl and Eberle are skating together this week. That is one hell of a shinny team.

On the Oilers site at the end of the Eberle RAW video when asked about the Dellow signing he shows a greater understanding of Corsi than many in the Edmonton MSN. The reporters that pride them selves of being ‘with the team’ better do some ‘homework’.

15. VanOil says:

G Money: Let’s skip the middle man.I am prepared to give that $1m in cash a shot at 2C.

As long as it is Canadian Tire money I am on board. Good Canadian kid don’t you know.

16. Numenius says:

I’m skeptical about Loktionov. His FO% is in Sam Gagner territory, though he does shows signs of breaking out points-wise and his corgis are pretty good.

I think I’d rather get a Malhotra type who can win face-offs and play the toughs and have Gordon as the 2C backup, if Arco can’t handle it.

17. Mr DeBakey says:

Red Line: Huge German centre is tenacious in puck pursuit…
    ISS: Draisaitl could be one of the biggest wildcards …
    Corey Pronman: Draisaitl is a great passer who can beat defenders…
    Craig Button: Leon is a big centre…
    WHL from Above: Draisaitl has arguably the most raw talent of any WHL prospect…
    Bruce McCurdy, Cult of Hockey: The big centre (listed as 6’1, 209) was neither overly physically aggressive nor a speedster…
    Central Scouting’s B.J. MacDonald: “He’s the best prospect I’ve seen from this draft class at protecting and handling the puck…

But what is Derek Van Diest’s take on Draisaitl? I bet its thorough & thoughtful.

18. commonfan14 says:

Really enjoying the series and liked all those picks. For me personally though, I’d have to list Jimmy Carson as my most disappointing Oiler of all time.

Completely unfair pick, but when your 8 year old brain convinces itself that a 20 year old kid will become the next Gretzky and continue the Cup parade, anything less than that is crushing.

I can’t imagine why he didn’t want to keep playing here…

19. Hammers says:

bry_oil: Hammers, don’t forget that Puliot, Gordon and Perron were all in the 1st as well. As for Drai I think he gets ~35 points unless he gets a huge push on the PP which unlikely with Nuge taking most of the time. Also don’t think it would really hurt his development to have another year with PA.

I knew Pouliot and Perron were but not Gordon . I guess I was looking at our picks and those that are there . Throw those other 3 into the mix and that’s 11 . What is it that they say you need “X” number of your own picks that are top line players as well as the incoming trades , UFA and other players you get to make a playoff team .For me this is the first time in years I see us knocking on the playoff door . Was a season ticket holder before we ever got into the NHL & Oil King & Flyers before that so this last 20 years has been tough with 06 the exception .

20. soup says:

If Leon goes to Line Two, you can’t put Yak there until he learns the game. Yak starts on Line Three and Teddy pulls the Jefferson’s (Movin’ on up). Leon needs to play with a couple of professionals until he wears off his new tire nubs.

Playing Leon and Yak in the first 20 games is fools play. Puts way too much pressure on both of them, and sets up a big chance at failure. Although I am no fan of Yak, I don’t think he needs to be thrown to the wolves. Set them both up for the biggest chance at success.

21. justDOit says:

Mr DeBakey:

But what is Derek Van Diest’s take on Draisaitl?I bet its thorough & thoughtful.

22. jp says:

justDOit: I believe his quote was something like, ‘seen him play twice – this kid is an NHLer’ (or something like that).

But has he seen him practice? You can learn so much….

23. haters says:

Jshultz anyone ?

24. raventalon40 says:

Numenius:

Fascinating article. Some conclusions:

- Normal NHLE% for OHL and WHL = 30%

What does it all mean?

I feel like most of this difference could be chalked up to the better players out of the gate actually sticking with the team and the others did not.