RE 14-15 BEN SCRIVENS: RAISED ON ROBBERY

Ben Scrivens doesn’t look like a hero when he’s wearing street clothes. He looked like Superman when he donned the blue and orange of the Edmonton Oilers, and will be cast in a lead role again this season—probably.

RE 13-14 REVIEW

PPG NAME GP GAA SP EV SP
  BEN SCRIVENS 13-14 OILERS 21 3.01 .916 .922

RE 14-15 PREVIEW

NAME E GP E SOG E SP GA GAA
BEN SCRIVENS 14-15 RE 44 31 .917 113 2.57
  1. Raised on Robbery? It was only a matter of which goalie. I chose Scrivens because he’s the likely starter to my eye.
  2. Was he a good acquisition? He made a huge difference, even for fans. I didn’t have that sense of impending doom nearly as often, and there were actual days of sunshine. Ben Scrivens was good for Edmonton’s mental health in the spring.
  3. What were his overall numbers? 40GP, 2.55 .922 for the year. Quality totals.
  4. .922 is very good. Tied for 11th in the NHL.
  5. What was his EV SP? .927.
  6. Was the trade good value? Yes. 63rd overall pick for your starting goalie? All day.
  7. LAK might get a very good player from that draft pick. Well, they dealt it for Marian Gaborik and won Stanley. So, yeah.
  8. Who made the 63rd pick? Detroit got the pick from CBJ and used it on Dominic Turgeon.
  9. What if Scrivens doesn’t work out? MacTavish made a very good bet. Scrivens has a wonderful opportunity here, my guess is he grabs it.
  10. Some Oiler fans aren’t convinced of him. Some Oiler fans aren’t convinced of Taylor Hall.
  11. Are you completely convinced of him? Scrivens worked hard to get himself into this position, and has been rewarded for it with a contract and a number one job. If it doesn’t work out, it’s still a good bet. This is an experienced goaltender by age, and his performances in the NHL so far indicate quality.
  12. What is he getting paid again? Two years times $2.3 million dollars.
  13. Why do you like him so much? I’ve actually followed Scrivens going back to his days at Cornell. He was the goalie during Riley Nash’s career there, so anyone who followed the Big Red could tell you Scrivens was a helluva goalie. That team didn’t score a lot but Scrivens kept them in games.
  14. Your numbers above are wildly optimistic. Maybe. the one area I can be accused of being that way is the number of shots Edmonton will give up this season (per game). A year ago, it was 32.9, and I’m projecting it to be 31. The improvement is based on all kinds of things, not the least of which is more experienced defense. I’d be even more comfortable with that number if MacT could grab an experienced center and a two-way winger.
  15. But you believe there will be improvement? Yes. I think Scrivens and Fasth will be less busy.
  16. Scrivens had a .922 SP last season, you’re expecting a dive? In his 21 games here, Scrivens had a .916 save percentage. He was solid at evens (.922) but struggled on special teams. I’ve nicked him some there, but overall I think he’ll be average or a little above with the Oilers.
  17. And this is GOOD? Yes. I think it would be unrealistic to project Scrivens at .922 with the Oilers. He did that at evens, but not on special teams. We’d need to see more, to have him establish it as a level of ability.
  18. But if he’d stayed in LA? He might have had the same season. I think save percentage is pure, or close to, so it’s about Ben Scrivens here. We’ll see how he performs this season, and .922 would be awesome, but .917 is a little bump from last year without being too aggressive in our estimation of him as a goalie.
  19. I think it should be .920. I hope it will be .920. We’re trying to find reasonable here, and projecting goaltenders (as we saw last season with Dubnyk) is not exactly an established science. However, he’s in what should be his prime, and he had a good run with the addled Oilers. So, I’m projecting about the same level for Scrivens, and for the team to improve.
  20. This is a great song. Fabulous, one of the best hockey songs ever. ‘A little money riding on the Maple Leafs’ is basically what english Canada did every Saturday night of my youth. It’s a fun, rocking little record. It fits Scrivens like a glove.

35 Responses to "RE 14-15 BEN SCRIVENS: RAISED ON ROBBERY"

1. russ99 says:

Two questions from me on the goalie front:

1. Are Scrivens’ numbers from last year sustainable going into the season as a #1 goalie?

2. Can Fasth win the #1 job outright?

There’s pros and cons to both. Just glad MacT has gotten us two goalies who can handle things as opposed to none last year at this time.

2. icecastles says:

He looked like Superman when he donned the copper and orange of the Edmonton Oilers

Not to nitpick, but the Oilers have never used copper and orange. Though it would be a fascinating combination…

In fact, Ben Scrivens wasn’t an Oiler during the (mercifully ended) copper and blue era. He wears the orange and blue.

3. Ca$h-Money! says:

Love the Scrivens/Fasth pairing. The only way to get a real standout goalie is to draft one, trade for one as a prospect, or find one in the reeds. Both of these guys have upside potential without much risk of being utterly atrocious*. This is why Khudobin was a better bet last year than Labarberra was, and I say that regardless of their actual results last year. One had real starter upside, one didn’t.

*For someone with upside potential but a high risk of being attrocious see Dubnyk, Devan

I’d rather pay $2million to a guy who could surprise to the upside than $4-$6 million for a guy who probably won’t be a whole lot better**

** See Miller, Ryan or Hiller, Jonas

It’s been said before, but it’s about making smart bets. Outright risk minimization won’t allow for this team to ever get out of the gutter, we’ve got to reduce risk while giving ourselves some room to win once in a while… I like the chances that one of these two guys turns out to be a legit NHL starter.

Lowdown:

10:05 Corey Pronman
    11:00 Bruce McCurdy Cult of Hockey

5. Deadman Waiting says:

Tyler Dellow is his own best self-promoter.

In the self-publishing industry, this is also known as Job #1. Books I’ve read recently are roughly divided into thirds. Inevitably, the last third covers relentless self-promotion.

IAMA: Felicia Day

“I put all my work into this, and where’s my audience?” … There was all day every day work on my part [and others] to get the word out there. … Ninety percent of your work is after you put something into the can.

But no, if you build a better break-out, the world will beat a path to your door. To start with, your mother. Over to you, Mom. “Tyler won his first prosecution in kindergarten. I’m his biggest fan.”

Tyler: “Aww gee, thanks Mom.”

Long silence.

Even longer silence.

Tyler: “Ugh, is that it? Man, college roommates are so over-rated.”

No one is saying what a great guy Tyler Dellow is more than Tyler Dellow is.

Dinosaurs took one look at the first mouse, then smacked their forechin with their tiny forelimb, and immediately broke into a giant meteor dance. The whole planet rocked with excitement. Several T-Rex link up—with some effort—to form a kickline, “Mammal power, mammal power, mammal power” they kick in time to the primal chant. An apatosaur platoon gathers in slow unison, swinging leafy pompoms high in the air (in total defiance of giraffe physics). They were surprisingly well practiced at this—it had been noticeably warming for several centuries. In other respects, the fan–guard behaviour of the late apatosaur is a great puzzle, considering their small brain and extraordinarily high blood pressure (any leaching leaf-eater pinking a fully grown apatosaur in the paunch with her sharp horn quickly appreciated her bony carapace—when your host bears a heart muscle as large as 1.5 tonnes, daring to stick your tongue into the pulsating blood jet cutter requires cheekbones that double as riot gear; mommatops’ epoccipital flange is really just a splatter plate to funnel red gold down to the boisterous bevy of mewling jeuveniles outmassing grown elephants).

He’s saying ‘look at me, what a smart guy and what a great guy and look how much I know about the game.’

I guess that rules out the following: “look at him!”, “I’m too fucking dumb to live”, “I’m a horrible sack of shit”, and “regard my ignorance and quake at its immensity”.

Sheesh. That pretty much leaves Tyler’s ascendance into MSM legitimacy at the mercy of a chorus of angels descending over his house to bugle celestial fanfares.

6. blainer says:

The single most important position… by far.. With average goaltending 916% I think we are a bubble playoff team.. with an average of 920% or better and we are in. I do feel good about the goaltending but will admit I felt the same way at this time last year. One thing is for sure is one would expect that Scrivens and Fasth saw how Dubnyk imploded last year and hopefully they will have learned something from that. Kinda surprised they never changed Goalie coaches.

7. G Money says:

A note on the use of EV sv% and PK sv%.

EV sv% is actually quite a ‘sticky’ number. It does vary a lot, just like any goalie does, but (like season to season Fenwick), is still one of the best predictors of goalie performance season to season.

PK sv% is wildly variable, and has little predictive ability season to season.

When MacT was trying to pry Schneider out of Vancouver, some folks thought this was a bad thing because the sv% difference between the two was not that huge (.920 vs .926), and that the chase would be “bad for Dubnyk’s confidence” (maybe they were right in that regard, LOL).

And by that measure, Doobie looked like a pretty good goalie – 12th or so among starters at .920.

It looked a little weaker at EV sv%, which was decent at .922, but that was good enough for just 18th in the league – distinctly average.

His PK sv% was 4th overall, though, and that made his overall numbers look better. The problem as I said is that PK sv% is not a repeatable number.

So the numbers bear out that Schneider is and was the better goalie – top third vs bottom half.

Scrivens’ EV sp% of .927 is excellent (10th in the league among goalies that played at least 40 games), and carries far more weight than his PK sv%, which is pretty much random.

The biggest issue with Scrivens remains the small sample size for his excellent play. Average goalies can play lights out for long periods of time (see: Varlamov, Semyon).

8. Pouzar says:

blainer:

I am very high on this years goaltending tandem but unlike you I was never confident in DD. Gotta figure this year one of Fasth/Scrivens will each catch fire and different points in the season.

9. GATO BANDIDO says:

Pointless trivia: there is no such thing as a ’57 Biscayne. Chevrolet debuted the model in 1958.

Still love Joni, though.

10. borisnikov says:

blainer:

A lot more things have to go right than just >.920 tending to get the Oilers to the promised land. They are climbing a mountain. Unless the shot differential gap takes a monumental leap the playoffs are a whisper and a dream. A >.920 SV% will help, but is only one part of the equation.

11. B S says:

GATO BANDIDO,

It’s probably intentional. Like when Stan Rogers gave the “Antelope sloop” a crew of 21 men, when Sloops traditionally required ~30, Wikipedia treats it like a mistake, but given he spent much of his life in Nova Scotia he was probably well aware. Artists like to play then numbers to make their songs a little more silly.

12. Hammers says:

Goal keepers need to give the team consistency not the flashy, unbelievable type of saves . Do that and these 2 will get the job done . Cut our goals against from last year is what we expect to get and I for one think they will .

13. GATO BANDIDO says:

B S:
    GATO BANDIDO,

I’ll buy that.

Now I’m a broken man on an Edmonton pier…

14. Pouzar says:

Yah….Leon signs.

15. oilman says:

Lowetide – I stumbled across this a few nights ago. I’m thinking i should get a royalty :) The question and the answer were pretty accurate!

OILMAN says:
    November 20, 2007 at 1:22 am
    (Quote) (Reply)

LOWETIDE says:
    November 20, 2007 at 1:24 am
    Oilman: Not a chance lol. I worked for close to 20 years on-air playing music and talking after the record. I can’t imagine talking for three hours straight and making sense.
    I’d go 5 minutes and then introduce “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.” :-)

16. nycoil says:

Just checking in from Kelowna.

Your RE of 226 goals is pretty good, I think. I came up with 225 on a back-of-the-envelope prediction, but you have the first line scoring more than I do. That total would have placed the Oilers 7th in the West last year.

Interesting you have 44 games for Scrivens. 44/38 Scrivens/Fasth? Does someone get hurt?

17. blainer says:

borisnikov,

Agreed. That shot differential can kill us. I am projecting 240 goals for this year.. I know..very optimistic.. but if that does happen it should mean we are not in the defensive zone nearly as much which should translate into a much better shot differential. Add in that 920% save percentage and I think if were not in the promised land we are only a couple feet from it. It sure is easy to be an optimist this time of year.. funny though I am normally a glass half empty kinda guy.

oilman:

Lowetide – I stumbled across this a few nights ago.I’m thinking i should get a royalty :) The question and the answer were pretty accurate!

OILMAN says:
    November 20, 2007 at 1:22 am
    Good article…I was surprised to hear yo work for 1260….any chance you ever reprise your role as a radio personality with the content of your and the rest of the sphere’s blog as the content? I’d definitely tune in – you do a great job here. (Quote)(Reply)

LOWETIDE says:
    November 20, 2007 at 1:24 am
    I’d go 5 minutes and then introduce “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.” :-)

I’m still trying to find ‘Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald’

Also amazed you remembered and found the quote.

20. Numenius says:

nycoil:
    Just checking in from Kelowna.

Yes, 7th in the West in GF, but not the standings (as you know).

The GA was an atrocious 270, the worst in the NHL.

If the GA stays the same and you get 226 goals, you’re still only 28th in the league according to goal differential.

21. oilman says:

Also amazed you remembered and found the quote.

Al Gore never forgets

22. HeavySig says:

Didn’t Edmund take a wrong turn on his way to Oxville from Paradise Valley and end up wrecking in the Battle River?

23. HeavySig says:

I have been on the Scrivens’s soap box for about as long as LT, there are probably old comments of mine buried in HFBoards calling for the Oilers to sign him as a free agent out of Cornell. He posted ridiculous save percentages there but many attributed that to their defensive style of play.

Guy Flaming had several updates on Scrivens’s progress, which made sense as he was another local product that had played for the Spruce Grove Saints. He may even have told me to hush my mouth about the Oilers signing him (jokingly, I think). Of course when he eventually ended up here, I was happy, but I didn’t think he would make the impact he did.

Of course, I liked the other local Ivy League kid, Fedun as well; but in his case it was as much about his story as his play. Scrivens was always at the head of the class, whatever league he was in.

24. nycoil says:

Numenius,

Yes, I know. I think the GA against will improve with .915 sv pct goaltending all year. Probably something like 226-236 or the like.

I just bet my friend who works for the Abbotsford Calgary AHL franchise straight up Oilers vs Flames in the standings this year. Flames finish ahead I owe him Rangers tickets on his next visit to New York. Oilers finish ahead he treats me to an Oiler game at the Saddledome. I know I have the higher risk here on this bet, but for pride’s sake this wasn’t a bet I could stand down on or chicken out of, right?

25. G Money says:

Numenius: Yes, 7th in the West in GF, but not the standings (as you know).

The GA was an atrocious 270, the worst in the NHL.

If they are just as terrible defensively next year and still give up 2054 5×5 shots (and in my opinion, there is NO WAY they are that bad), just bumping up EV sv% to a mediocre .920 would result in 14 fewer GA. That puts the team at 253 GA (ES shows the GA at 267, not 270).

In other words, just league average EV sv% and LT’s GF RE, with no other defensive improvements at all, puts the Oilers at 253 GA and 226 GF. That puts the GF% at about 47%, or around 22nd to 23rd in the league.

If you buy LT’s improvement to 31 SA/G you get 2542 SA, and buy his overall .916 sv%, you get 214 GA.

226 GF and 214 GA puts the team at 51.4% GF%, about 11th in the league.

That may seem bold. But that’s how things work: if you incrementally improve the GF, SA, the sv% and therefore the GA, modest improvements in each tied all together can make for a massive swing.

(For the record, I’m not expecting such a massive swing quite yet – on their own the GF, sv%, SA/GA make sense, but something will break and cause one or more of those to disappoint)

26. G Money says:

nycoil,

Yeah, I think you’re honour bound to take that bet.

It’s probably a good bet too. I think the Flames are a worse team this season, and the Oilers quite a bit better. More than enough to swing that 10-point deficit.

Hiller vs Scrivens is the wildcard. The Oilers need to match goaltending for that to happen.

nycoil:
    Numenius,

The disparity in ticket prices probably reflects the odds though.

Good bet.

28. Numenius says:

G Money,

Excellent post, thanks. I agree that’s the right way to analyze the situation. Improve the GF, improve the SA and SV% (and therefore the GA) = win. You’re also right that at least one of those areas likely won’t improve as expected. Baby steps.

G Money: The Oilers at 5×5 gave up 178 goals on 2054 shots, for a sv% of .9133 (which is an absolutely terrible EV sv%).

If they are just as terrible defensively next year and still give up 2054 5×5 shots (and in my opinion, there is NO WAY they are that bad), just bumping up EV sv% to a mediocre .920 would result in 14 fewer GA.That puts the team at 253 GA (ES shows the GA at 267, not 270).

In other words, just league average EV sv% and LT’s GF RE, with no other defensive improvements at all, puts the Oilers at 253 GA and 226 GF.That puts the GF% at about 47%, or around 22nd to 23rd in the league.

226 GF and 214 GA puts the team at 51.4% GF%, about 11th inthe league.

That may seem bold.But that’s how things work: if you incrementally improve the GF, SA, the sv% and therefore the GA, modest improvements in each tied all together can make for a massive swing.

BOLD!

Eakins has said as much and mentioned it the first thing they are working on.

An upgrade in Dmen, and upgrade in the breakout system, and even an upgrade in C (I have Arco >>>> Gagner without the puck) should result in less shots against.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they lowered the number to about 1950 5v5 SA on the year and about 390 4v5 (from 415).

Cut the 4v5 SA from 73 to 60 and we’re looking at 2400 SA instead of 2696.

I think that’s pretty reasonable.

League average total SV% of .913 and that’s 209 GA.

Goal diff of +17 and that’s probably playoffs in 7th or 8th.

Its so goddam easy to talk myself into the Oilers making the playoffs.

I’m an addict.

31. G Money says:

Woodguy: One of the reasons the Oilers had so many SA was due to the awful break out. They kept getting in trouble and if they ever got the puck back they then either lost it again or lobbed it out to the neutral zone and prepared to get attacked again.

The single most frustrating aspect of watching the Oilers the last few years was the inevitable two-to-three times per game two minute long episodes watching the other team cycle it in the Oiler zone. Usually started, as you say, with a bad breakout, and often punctuated with momentary puck recoveries leading to yet another failed breakout in the interim.

If the Oilers do nothing more than stop getting caught in those wretched multi-minute cycles every game, it’s probably worth a 20 GA improvement right there.

Woodguy:
    Its so goddam easy to talk myself into the Oilers making the playoffs.

I’m an addict.

I thought it was well established that being an Oiler fan at this point shows many hallmarks of addictive behaviour!

32. VanOil says:

Ben Scrivens has made the Edmonton Oilers better.

Jenny Scrivens has made Edmonton better.

Long may they both continue.

33. borisnikov says:

Woodguy: BOLD!

One of the reasons the Oilers had so many SA was due to the awful break out.They kept getting in trouble and if they ever got the puck back they then either lost it again or lobbed it out to the neutral zone and prepared to get attacked again.

Eakins has said as much and mentioned it the first thing they are working on.

Cut the 4v5 SA from 73 to 60 and we’re looking at 2400 SA instead of 2696.

I think that’s pretty reasonable.

League average total SV% of .913 and that’s 209 GA.

Goal diff of +17 and that’s probably playoffs in 7th or 8th.

I have a hard time getting behind the thought that it’s reasonable to expect them to shave off 3 or more shots against per game this season. Is it possible? Sure. but a quick look at some numbers shows that it isn’t likely.

At 5v5 these are the teams that have cut their shots against by 3 or more in one season since 2007-08 (i realize you were talking of other game situtaions but this highlights the enormity of the task they face)…

(this is of a possible 180 back to back season comparisons)

2011-12 Boston -3.1
    2011-12 Detroit -4.1
    2008-09 Los Angeles -4.4
    2012-13 Minnesota -3.4
    2012-13 Montreal -3.0
    2012-13 Nashville -3.1
    2012-13 New Jersey -3.5
    2009-10 Phoenix -3.0

Only 8 teams (4 of them are from the anomolous lockout season). We’re treading into mystical waters with what we fans are expecting this team to do. I’m taking the tempered approach. If they cut the SA by 2 per game and increase the SF by 2, the season will be a success. With those two caveats they’ll probably need better than average goaltending and better than average shooting and better than average special teams to have a shot at playoffs. Basically a repeat of Colorado’s 13-14 season. It’s not likely.

34. PDX Oiler Fan says:

If you look simply at goal differential (GF-GA) then last season there were 14 teams that were +5 or better—all of them made the playoffs. There were 12 teams that were -5 or worse—none of them made the playoffs. It was 50/50 for the other four teams that were hovering between -5 and +5.

Lowetide has the RE for team scoring at 226, a nice and very reasonable increase from 199 last year.

On the goals against side of the ledger, last year’s Oilers were a shocking 267 because of two factors: 32.9 shots against per game and 0.901 team save percentage.

Lowetide has the SA improving to 31.0 per game, which would be nice. That would have been 22nd in the league last season (when Edmonton was 26th). So not unreasonable.

We haven’t seen his RE for Victor Fasth yet, but based on Scrivens’ RE in this article, let’s assume team save percentage is 0.915-ish. Combined with 31 shots per game, that gives us a total goals against of 216. HUGE improvement.

Goal differential next year of +10? Playoffs, baby! :)

35. TheOtherJohn says:

Neither Scrivens or Fasth are proven, yet, to be a NHL calibre starting goalie. Scrivens is a breath of fresh air from a personality point of view but his March and April numbers were not particularly strong.

In fact Scriven’s March/April numbers were very similiar numbers to the numbers that Dubnyk put up in November and December for the Oilers before being traded to Nashville. In both cases Oiler fans have embedded into their memory how each goalie started their season as Oiler tenders and largely ignored or forgotten Scrivens last 14 games and Dubnyk’s last 17 games. Dubnyk’s Sv% in Novemeber in 10 games was .904 and .905 in 7 games in December. Scrivens numbers to end the year were .904 in 10 games in March and .903 in 4 games in April.

Very much hope one of the Oiler goalies seizes the opportunity but Scrivens last 14 starts were not particularlt strong