RE 14-15 MARTIN MARINCIN: IN FRANCE THEY KISS ON MAIN STREET

Martin Marincin stepped into the bright lights and shocked the gathered masses. A fan base—raised on chaos and failure—saw a composed, intelligent player with complete range. The crowd was excited, and yelled out for more.

MARTIN MARINCIN 13-14

• 5×5 points per 60: 0.35 (5th among regular D)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 2.66 (3rd among regular D)
  • Qual Comp: 2nd toughest among regular D
  • Qual Team: best available among regular D
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 47.5
  • Corsi for 5×5 % REL: +7.0
  • Zone Start: 45.5% (2nd toughest among regular D)
  • Zone Finish: 43.7% (worst among D)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 28 shots
  • Boxcars: 44, 0-6-6

RE 13-14 REVIEW

PPG NAME GP G A PTS
.323 MARTIN MARINCIN OKC RE 13-14 65 4 17 21
.292 MARTIN MARINCIN OKC ACTUAL 13-14 24 3 4 7

RE 13-14 REVIEW

PPG NAME GP G A PTS
.333 MARTIN MARINCIN RE 13-14 3 0 1 1
.136 MARTIN MARINCIN OKC ACTUAL 13-14 44 0 6 6

RE 14-15 PREVIEW

PPG NAME GP G A PTS
.215 MARTIN MARINCIN RE 14-15 65 3 11 14

VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER (CORSI REL)

vollman sledge blue 13-14

1. What do these numbers tell us? He played top-pairing opposition, tougher ZS’s, played with Petry, and his Corsi for 5×5% looks like a lush meadow on the first day of summer.
  2. Not much offense. Marincin’s resume suggests he’ll be a 20+ point defenseman, so we should expect a spike as he gets comfortable.
  3. Who was the last rookie to come in and impress this much in half a season? Jeff Petry gets my vote. He was a nice player out of the box.
  4. Who argued hardest for him? Frank Musil. Stu MacGregor, draft day: “We got the pick in a trade for Riley Nash and with that pick we were really hoping to get a defenceman. Our European scout Frank Musil was pushing for him. We’d seen him as a 17-year-old at the World Junior in Saskatoon. He was tall and slender and could skate well and had real good sense with the puck. A lot of the decision involved the knowledge he planned to come to North America to play junior as an 18-year-old.”
  5. Did he perform so well in OKC they had to call him up? I don’t think we can make that claim. Jonathan Willis: Marincin’s year-to-date has been a little on the disappointing side. He’s big and he moves the puck well and the talent is obvious, but there’s a little too much chaos to his game and he doesn’t generate enough offence to justify it. At this point he’s probably pretty comparable to Anton Belov except at the AHL level.
  6. MacT isn’t quite convinced. Yes, that’s my take, too. I think Craig MacTavish wanted to back up Marincin and Klefbom, and run with a top 5D of Schultz, Fayne, Petry, Nikitin and Ference.
  7. But you don’t think it happens? No. I believe Marincin is already miles better than Ference and suspect he’ll play more than Nikitin, too. So, unless Fayne or Petry play left-hand side, Marincin plays a big portion of the season.
  8. Does Nurse factor in? All will be revealed in due time.
  9. Is Marincin a better player than Nurse? Now? Sure. Nurse has the potential to be a big contributor at even strength and a player on teams, too. So, we wait, but there’s certainly another gear with Darnell Nurse.
  10. Is Marincin a better player than Klefbom? The Oilers like Klefbom more, from the whispers. I think Marincin will be the better player due to range of skills, but this is guesswork. All three look very good.
  11. What keeps you from putting Klefbom ahead of Marincin as a prospect? As mentioned, range of skills favors Marincin. Also, Klefbom has a rather lengthy injury history. Marincin is a tall tree in need of hamburgers. One issue could end a career, the other should be solved by natural maturation.
  12. Where do you see Marincin next season? Top pairing, with Petry. Nikitin-Fayne will be second pairing. Or vice versa. Doesn’t matter.
  13. How many AHL games did he play? Exactly 100 regular season games in the minors.
  14. Among Nurse, Klefbom, Marincin, Simpson, Gernat, Musil and Oesterle, how many do you think will have NHL careers? What do you mean by NHL careers?
  15. More than 200 NHL games. Hmm. I’ll say Nurse, Klefbom, Marincin and Simpson.
  16. Four guys, huh? Yes. I like Gernat plenty, but he and Musil still have some ways to go. Oesterle is a distant bell.
  17. How many will play the heart of their career here? Nurse and Klefbom.
  18. Why do you say that? I believe the Oilers value those two more, and MacT has made it a point to rave over them.
  19. That may not mean a thing. Sure. However, having paid attention to the Oilers, and MacT, all these years, I’d bet that Marincin is more available than Nurse or Klefbom.
  20. Why this song? It’s about being young and carefree, and enjoying yourself. This kid has accomplished a ton since draft day, I hope he’s enjoying it. The 44 NHL games we’ve seen him in could mark the highlight of his career, that’s a fact. So, I sincerely hope he’s adjusting well and having fun. These young men sacrifice a lot for their dreams, it’s really nice (for a fan like me) to see one of these draft picks turn out so well. I hope he is as effective in the coming seasons.

44 Responses to "RE 14-15 MARTIN MARINCIN: IN FRANCE THEY KISS ON MAIN STREET"

1. regwald says:

i know it is a long shot, but I always hoped to see Gernat and Marincin pairing together in the NHL. Our own twin towers so to speak. I hope Gernat makes a big leap this season and MacT can hold off on that itchy trigger finger when it comes to Marincin vs Klefbom.

2. Hammers says:

I would like to think he will play more than 65 games but face it you never know . I would like to see him with Fayne ; Ference with Petry then Nikitan & Schultz together .I just don’t want Ference with Schultz again . I like what M.M. gives us and just hope McT doesn’t go after Boychuck to replace Martin .Martin would be the easiest one to trade especially to a Boston .Low $$$ big upside . McT needs to let him play a full season before trading him away.

3. Ca$h-Money! says:

Hammers:

I don’t see Marincin to Boston straight up. We’ve got years of Marincin ahead of us, 1 year of Boychuck. If anything it will be Petry for Boychuck, probably along with Chris Kelly with some salary eaten by Boson.

4. LMHF#1 says:

Marincin should get powerplay time based on his skill set, I’m just not sure it happens this year.

Looking forward to seeing him bulked up a bit and throwing people around in the corners. He’s already the best they have there.

5. speeds says:

6. LMHF#1 says:

speeds:
    I asked LT this (kind of) a week or two ago, but camp passes and Ference has been outplayed by Marincin, Nikitin, and Klefbom, how do you think the Oilers the Oilers will handle that?And does that differ from how they should handle it?

“Good in the room” “Good in the community”. A disaster in front of his own net.

7. Ca$h-Money! says:

LMHF#1: They’ll ignore it and play him the way they would have anyway. They should make him the #7.

“Good in the room” “Good in the community”. A disaster in front of his own net.

I’m not sure they ignore it completely. I think they value his veteran pressence (if you are going to have a good in the room/good in the community guy on the roster it might as well be the best good-in-the-room-good-in-the-community guy).

That said I can see him in the number 7 role if Klefbom (or who knows, maybe Aulie) make a strong case for moving past him by the trade deadline. Maybe he’ll get traded, maybe not, but I can see some healthy scratch time before that contract comes to an end.

8. Ducey says:

speeds: I asked LT this (kind of) a week or two ago, but if camp passes and Ference has been outplayed by Marincin, Nikitin, and Klefbom, how do you think the Oilers will handle that? And does that differ from how they should handle it, in your opinion?

There is no way they should be playing Klefbom in the NHL to start the season. He only has 48 games in the AHL and 17 with the Oilers.

He might have a good training camp and preseason, but the right move is to send him down the AHL for 40 games to see if he can maintain it in a top pairing there.

If you keep him after training camp and he starts hitting .200 in the bigs, you are in danger of setting him back some (or a lot).

9. Jordan says:

“Good in the room” “Good in the community”. A disaster in front of his own net.

I’m not going to suggest that Ference is a defensible NHL D-man for the Oilers.

However, as a selection for Captain, his impact as a leader in the community, the team and the Organization has been impressive.

Took his family to the reconcilliation commission publicly
    All the get fit get active events he’s been part of – (project November the most notable)
    Participation in the LGBT parade this summer
    Work for the Hope Mission Shelter
    Christmas toy delivery to the Stollery Children’s Hospital
    Won the Clancy for all his work this year

Full list of work available at http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=723074

He’s a great roll model for the young guys on the team as a person, and what it means to lead by example. If Hall et. all pick up even a tenth of the character that Ference shows with all he does with his time, money and fame, the team and the city will be much better off.

Even if the Oilers never reach the playoffs with him on the team, Edmonton will still be a better place because the Oilers have Andrew Ference as Captain. So I have no problem with them playing him in any roll – he just keeps working his bag off to make everything as good as he can.

Leadership.

10. Frank The Dog says:

If the new assistants get the team united in support of Eakins and eagerly looking forward to their games, I think Ference may be gone by next season.

Seems to me that Ference was one of the players brought in to provide Eakins with some support in the locker room in addition to the Marlies that were also brought across – Acton, Fraser – for the same reason.

If the team does in fact unite this year then Ference may end up pretty quickly as a #7D that has outlived his usefulness and be replaced by one of the young up and comers after being traded with his consent or having his contract bought out.

Or, Ramsay may use his coaching skill and experience to give him a new lease on life.

I worry that we may all be expecting too much of Ramsay however we have addition by addition plus addition by subtraction so I’m still expecting a marked improvement in particular with those players that were struggling last year.

11. LMHF#1 says:

Jordan: I’m not going to suggest that Ference is a defensible NHL D-man for the Oilers.

Leadership.

Hockey and other sports have moved beyond the player-coach. If what you offer the team doesn’t get beyond the bench and onto the ice, then coach.

12. Frank The Dog says:

Took his family to the reconcilliation commission publicly
    Participation in the LGBT parade this summer
    Work for the Hope Mission Shelter
    Christmas toy delivery to the Stollery Children’s Hospital
    Won the Clancy for all his work this year

Full list of work available at http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=723074

He’s a great roll model for the young guys on the team as a person, and what it means to lead by example.If Hall et. all pick up even a tenth of the character that Ference shows with all he does with his time, money and fame, the team and the city will be much better off.

Even if the Oilers never reach the playoffs with him on the team, Edmonton will still be a better place because the Oilers have Andrew Ference as Captain.So I have no problem with them playing him in any roll – he just keeps working his bag off to make everything as good as he can.

Leadership.

No dispute about the quality of the person or his potential value to the organization. Not sure whether Andrew has the ear of the team though, particularly the young guns.

The time is coming quite soon for Taylor Hall to put this team on his back and drive them to the playoffs. Just so long as he thinks before he puts his hand on a water bottle in anger :)

13. Clay says:

There is a disconnect between the verbal love for Klefbom and lack thereof for Marincin, with regards to MacT. Surely he sees not only how well Marincin played last year, but the potential he has for being a top four guy for a long time.

I choose to believe that it’s MacT building up Klefbom publicly in order to generate trade interest in him, while deflecting interest away from Marincin in order to keep teams from asking for him instead. At least this is what I pray is going on.

14. Hammers says:

Ca$h-Money!: I don’t see Marincin to Boston straight up.We’ve got years of Marincin ahead of us, 1 year of Boychuck.If anything it will be Petry for Boychuck, probably along with Chris Kelly with some salary eaten by Boson.

I didn’t say straight up but my point was Boston is the type of team that would love to have Marincin .For all I know Boychuck may come here . I just don’t want McT trading M.M. until we see him for a full season then I think his value would be way up if he does decide to trade him. One thing Gretz proved is anyone can be traded , just make sure value comes back .

15. Henry says:

LMHF#1: The things you listed are well and fine, but the first job is to lead the team to wins and championships. I have a hard time seeing him contributing to that in a positive sense.

I didn’t think Ference played badly early in the year. He was playing too much as a #1 defenseman when he is best as 2nd or 3rd. Once he was trying to play while still recovering from injury his play really fell off. After the concussion particularly. This is understandable, and he probably shouldn’t have been playing. I think that Ference can contribute as a real professional NHL defenseman this year if not hurt. Two years from now who knows, but the Oilers will have enormous LHD options then.

16. Racki says:

Henry: I didn’t think Ference played badly early in the year.He was playing too much as a #1 defenseman when he is best as 2nd or 3rd.Once he was trying to play while still recovering from injury his play really fell off.After the concussion particularly.This is understandable, and he probably shouldn’t have been playing.I think that Ference can contribute as a real professional NHL defenseman this year if not hurt.Two years from now who knows, but the Oilers will have enormous LHD options then.

I like Ference, but it saddened me to realize that my thought that he was on a 3 year deal was wrong. I hope they can find a way to make him work well this year.

17. RexLibris says:

The moment I saw this was Marincin’s RE I was ready to ask the question: If Petry looks to have one foot out the door approximately three years after making his NHL debut, should we assume that Marincin gets traded around 2016-2017?

LT, you have your Trade-Yakupov-And-I-Denounce-You hill to die on, for me I’m leaning towards Marincin as mine.

This team has been struggling to find good defensemen since 2007, has a history of poor development, and talks about putting an emphasis on smart, puck-moving blueliners. If they trade Marincin for a another Nick Schultz I may fly off the handle because it would run contrary to everything that needs to be put right in this organization as well as their own public statements to that effect.

18. Oilanderp says:

Jughead liked hamburgers. He didn’t seem to gain weight.

19. sliderule says:

He claims he has put on 5 kg which would put him at about 200 lbs.

With his build I would say 205-10 lbs would be his max.

20. justDOit says:

justDOit:
    Game on – CAN/CZE

Chase is on the top line, and is wearing #14 today because both he and McDavid are in the lineup.

Lineup card here:

21. G Money says:

Any assessment of Marincin comes down to this:
    - Man he was good last year. Legit NHL defender.
    - Only played 44 NHL games, so the first statement may not mean anything.

Hope for the best.

On Ference, any assessment of the player has to take a few realities into account:
    - The contract is too long and too much, but get over it, it’s Edmonton, that’s always the case for UFAs
    - Looked terrible, but it’s Edmonton, was asked to do way too much (too much TOI, too high a QoC, too much babysitting on QoT)

I hope next year, they pair him with Nikitin (who is big and can move the puck a bit which would alleviate the babysitting and let Ference free to play his aggressive in your face style), and play him no more than 18:00 a night against mostly 2nd and 3rd tier opposition. I think (hope) he’ll be OK in that type of role for a year.

And lastly, apropos of nothing, I just read this fantastic insult from Martin Luther, and immediately thought of Simmons and Cox:

You think like this, “As I am a crude ass, and do not read the books, so there is no one in the world who reads them; rather, when I let my braying heehaw, heehaw resound, or even let out a donkey’s fart, then everyone will have to consider it pure truth.”

It could be about me, too, but I have been known to read a book or two!

22. justDOit says:

Canada’s coach blended the lines after the Czechs took a 3 – 0 lead, and now McDavid/Fabri/Bennett are dominating every shift.

23. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Oilanderp:
    Jughead liked hamburgers.He didn’t seem to gain weight.

Ha. And, true. Some people just have different metabolism situations.

Gregor has gone after Gernat a couple of times for not working hard enough/lack of commitment because he is skinny. He, and I assume many others, seem to discount the idea that you can work really hard at something and fall short through no lack of effort.

He (and/or Marincin) may well finally bulk up as their bodies start responding differently as they get older.

Or, they may stay skinny. Bottom line… if Marincin can reproduce his results from this past season… it doesn’t matter how heavy he is.

24. Romulus Apotheosis says:

sliderule: In an interview for a Slovak blog Marincin said that oilers want him to put on 8 kgs.

8 kilos!

shit… that’s a tall order for one off-season, isn’t it?

Me and “elite, young athletic body” don’t go together so I have no idea how much their bodies fluctuate… but that sounds crazy.

25. Derek says:

Romulus Apotheosis: 8 kilos!

shit… that’s a tall order for one off-season, isn’t it?

That’s almost 18 pounds, but is easily attainable if your off season training partner is Dustin Byfuglien. A young guy with professional training and a nutritionist can expect to put on about a pound of lean muscle mass a month, so asking for 18 pounds in an off season is a bit odd.

26. Romulus Apotheosis says:

sliderule:

He claims he has put on 5 kg which would put him at about 200 lbs.

With his build I would say 205-10 lbs would be his max.

Have you got a link to this article?

27. sliderule says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Have you got a link to this article?

The site is hokejportal.net and it’s in Slovak.

28. Bank Shot says:

Derek: That’s almost 18 pounds, but is easily attainable if your off season training partner is Dustin Byfuglien.A young guy with professional training and a nutritionist can expect to put on about a pound of lean muscle mass a month, so asking for 18 pounds in an off season is a bit odd.

The Oilers could be talking about the end goal.

These young guys should be working year round towards their goal weight as the offseason just isn’t long enough for serious mass building.

29. Romulus Apotheosis says:

sliderule: The site is hokejportal.netand it’s in Slovak.

30. bassguy says:

Hi LT!,” the hissing of summer lawns”!..to me, a great record and trashed by rolling stone when it came out..I believe 1976 or 77..but it was after” court and spark “so there you go..Im not sure if you will get to “mingus” but thats a really great album too..I believe some of Jacos most brilliant playing and collaboration and the story is beautiful!…thanks for doing this series!

31. bry_oil says:

Over the lunch hour I was talking to my roommate who played football in the States (pretty competitive level, played receiver) and told me how he put on 20 lbs of pretty much all muscle over a summer of hard training. Said it was a big mistake to add that much weight in such a short period of time. He felt his body didn’t have enough time to get used to the new size and weight, which he felt lead to an injury. Now football and hockey are different games and this is one person opinion/experience but adding that much may not necessarily be a good thing.

On another note, really like the young Slovak and interested to see how this year plays out for him. They seem to have pegged him to have a very important role in the defense which, I don’t know if I’m fully comfortable with at this point in his career.

32. Zangetsu says:

Jordan,

While I do believe the kids need to become better somersaulters, Ference should’t be captain. Many other guys have been great in the community, but that doesn’t make them captain material. Georges Laraque, Ryan Smyth, Fernando Pisani off the top of my head. I hate searching for links, but if you look back at recent acquisitions, they mention that they have talked to Hall or Eberle. I don’t think I’ve once heard Ference mentioned. The face of the team is Taylor Hall. Maybe Eberle is a better leader, I don’t know, but one of them should be heading the team. They are the ones who represent the oil at international tournaments meeting all the great players in the league.They are the ones who will determine whether we win or lose on most every night. They appear in all the commercials. They’re the people that reporters want to interview. In fact I saw a lot more Hall post game taking the brunt of the loss than Ference.

Ference came in and was Captain before meeting the players. This was wrong. If you believe that Hall or Ebs weren’t quite ready to take on that roll (sorry I found it funny) than the guy was Smyth. Leaders will lead regardless of the letter on their chest, but having the c would make Hall the first to talk in the room, instead of looking over at Ference first. I think terence is a great character guy, I just don’t think he is enough of an external presence to be captain of the team.

33. sliderule says:

Romulus Apotheosis: thanks. found the site. But, can’t find the article. Do you remember where it is?

I typed in his name in search area and it came right up.

34. Zangetsu says:

Derek,

One pound a month sounds low, where did you get that number. Not that you’re wrong, but when I gain its not lean muscle, but I cut fat at the same time, and I add 4-5 lbs a month. These guys are already at optimal body fat%, I would expect them to be able to add more than one pound, and with a good run program they should be able to keep the fat off. These guys train primarily legs, that should add a lot of mass. I guess there’s the issue of losing speed when adding, but in my experience if you’re squatting, it’s not much of an issue. Personally I would expect 2.5-3 lbs a month. Over the course of the off season (5 months roughly) you could add 12-15lbs. Not saying that everyone would since different players train for different goals size wise (bigger isn’t always better). During the regular season, with all the games and practices, I could understand 1 lb a month.

Of course I could be off base, as I have only ever seen how pro football players add. Lean muscle and bulk change the equation a lot.

35. sliderule says:

Romulus Apotheosis: ok. found it now. not sure why if you found it you couldn’t simply post the link though.

Sorry I read lots but don’t know sfa about how to link?

36. Romulus Apotheosis says:

sliderule: Sorry I read lots but don’t know sfa about how to link?

Oh. it’s no trouble at all. The comments system does it for you. just copy/paste link in the text box. automatically creates clickable link.

Sorry. I thought you were being strangely passive aggressive.

37. Clay says:

Zangetsu:
    Derek,

One pound a month sounds low, where did you get that number. Not that you’re wrong, but when I gain its not lean muscle, but I cut fat at the same time, and I add 4-5 lbs a month. These guys are already at optimal body fat%, I would expect them to be able to add more than one pound, and with a good run program they should be able to keep the fat off. These guys train primarily legs, that should add a lot of mass. I guess there’s the issue of losing speed when adding, but in my experience if you’re squatting, it’s not much of an issue. Personally I would expect 2.5-3 lbs a month. Over the course of the off season (5 months roughly) you could add12-15lbs. Not saying that everyone would since different players train for different goals size wise (bigger isn’t always better). During the regular season, with all the games and practices, I could understand 1 lb a month.

Ability (or lack thereof) to put on muscle at a given rate mostly comes down to genetics. But it should also be noted that adding “x” pounds of lean muscle doesn’t necessarily mean you’re adding strength.

If Marincin is primarily an ectomorph (which his lanky, skinny build would suggest), he may put in a massive amount of time at the gym without gaining much muscle mass (but still making significant gains in strength).

Bank Shot: The Oilers could be talking about the end goal.

I would agree that this must be the truth. Surely the Oilers training staff know that to gain 18 pounds of muscle in 90 days is a very tall order.

38. Ducey says:

We can’t take anything away from that article. It indicates in the title its 8 “pounds”. Then in the article it says 8 “kilograms”.

Its likely that the writer doesn’t even know what a pound is. On top of that we have Google translate messing things up (it calls him a quarterback).

I am guessing it is pounds. His weight is reported to be 181 when drafted. Its seems to have held steady at about 188 for about 3 years (which seems unlikely).

I also am guessing he was about 192 lbs by the end of the season and they asked him to come back at 200 lbs.

In other exciting news Woods is +7. For comparison, John Daley is +8 and of course Rory is -9.

39. Numenius says:

More weight would be nice, but I’m guessing for Marincin that’s not easily done. If he’s anything like me, he can eat like a horse (or eat a whole horse) and still not gain a pound. Some people are just built that way.

It’s particularly annoying when people say “why don’t you just eat more?” Um, because it doesn’t make a difference, Sherlock.

40. G Money says:

Reminds me of a time in grad school when my roommate and I went on a hardcore bodybuilding program (for those of that era, it was “Cybergenics”). Both in good shape, but Pat was pretty lean and wanted to get bigger and stronger, and I was pretty big and strong and wanted to get leaner. Our natural body types in action.

We ate the same and trained the same for two months, though Pat probably ate more than I did on balance (he had family to feed him – from Halifax, Lower Sackville is way closer than Edmonton).

Naturally, at the end of the program, I was a lot stronger and 9 lbs bigger (but didn’t gain any chub thankfully), while Pat was not visibly bigger, though somewhat stronger and 5 lbs lighter (so at least it seemed like he lost all fat). In other words, I was bigger and stronger, but no leaner, and he was leaner but no bigger albeit a bit stronger.

Genetics. What’re ya gonna do?

I’m guessing with Martin they’ve given him a program that emphasizes size as much as strength and speed (contrast with Dr. Drai or Gazdic who likely are working 100% on speed and power respectively), told him to maximize his Pancake intake, and after that, the (potato) chips will fall where they will…

41. jp says:

Romulus Apotheosis: ok. found it now.

Marincinovi!!!!

And includes considerable wheat-based beverages?

42. jp says:

I wonder if “the burly…. pupil… Marinčin” part was correctly translated by google?