RE 14-15 NIKITA NIKITIN: A CASE OF YOU

The Edmonton Oilers went for a stroll and plucked two veteran defensemen from the pool. In Nikita Nikitin, the club was looking for a puck-moving man who could play defense, help the power play and serve as mentor to the young troops. It is, again, an attempt to ‘find Pronger’ in one or two, or three men. It’s been a long road from 2006 summer to today, and the clouds and blues remain.

NIKITA NIKITIN 13-14

• 5×5 points per 60: 0.84 (2nd among regular CBJ D)
  • 5×4 points per 60: nil
  • Qual Comp: 6th toughest faced among regular CBJ D (3rd pairing)
  • Qual Team: 5th best available teammates among regular D (3rd pairing)
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 49.2
  • Corsi for 5×5 % REL: -1.9
  • Zone Start: 49.3% (4th easiest among regular CBJ D)
  • Zone Finish: 48.4% (5th best among regular D)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 95/2.1%
  • Boxcars: 66, 2-13-15

RE 14-15 PREVIEW

PPG NAME GP G A PTS
.369 NIKITA NIKITIN RE 14-15 65 6 18 24

VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER

nikitin sledge

1. So, who did he face in Columbus? Third pairing opponents.
  2. Mid-to-easy competition? Easy like Sunday morning.
  3. He performed well in the role? Well, he’s at almost 50%, but compared to his team is lagging. I think it’s pretty  clear Nikitin lost playing time because others were more effective. You want a veteran to be more effective in that role.
  4. So, we’re not getting a No. 1 D? I think Edmonton has better options, like Fayne and Petry.
  5. How is the offense? Good. At EV, he scored at about the same rate as Justin Schultz. He can move the puck and has a hammer from the point.
  6. He’ll get power-play time? Yes. Certainly more than last year, when he spent less than one minute a game with the man advantage.
  7. Why did they hire him? I think Scott Howson probably had a lot to do with it.
  8. Inside knowledge? Sure, it’s an established method of doing business.
  9. Does it run contrary to the sound moves this summer? Yes, quite a bit. This is clearly a hunch bet.
  10. Dammit! Well, hold on a minute here. Let’s take into account the things this year’s numbers don’t tell us.
  11. Like what? Like, his power-play ability. Three years ago he scored 3-6-9 in 2:45 a night.
  12. Is that good? Better than any Oiler not named Justin Schultz last season.
  13. So we have another third pairing guy but this one can play with the man advantage? I’m fairly certain Edmonton plans to run him on the second pairing.
  14. Who should he play with? A year ago, CBJ paired him most often with young David Savard, a righty who had played 35 games in the NHL entering the season. So, the Oilers might want to pair him with Marincin or Klefbom.
  15. Do believe they will? No, not really. He’ll get Fayne is my guess. A ‘new duo’ who will vie with Marincin-Petry for the top pairing and allow Ference to mentor some of the new fellows.
  16. Why did they go get this guy? They saw him good. Look, Nikita Nikitin has had seasons of effective play in the NHL. He isn’t 40, Howson knows him and the club needed a veteran (really two veterans, including Fayne) to add in one summer. I suspect the free-agent window told them to expect Fayne and they didn’t want to be without that second veteran. It’s a risk, and Howson’s reputation is tied to this signing, but that’s how they arrived at the spot.
  17. There were other, better options in free agency. Again, I think it’s rational to suggest they targeted several free agents, found themselves one short. Howson argued that he could get this fellow signed, maybe they didn’t want him to see what free agency would bring and fired their cannons. I’m not saying it’s brilliant, only that it’s understandable. And he isn’t 40, has 10 fingers and toes, and at least one season of success behind him. Add that to the fact he’s played in 206 NHL games (there’s a line somewhere that matures these guys between 200-300 games) and maybe this is a risk worth taking.
  18. Why this song? For our purposes, it’s about Chris Pronger. It’s about how much has happened since “the one” left us, and about how many it takes to equal the one we hold most dear. And no matter how many, it’s never the same and we feel it’ll never be the same, we know it’ll never be the same. We are stuck in time emotionally, waiting for the rake 2.0 to appear. How’s that going for you? Not well, thanks. Not well.

54 Responses to "RE 14-15 NIKITA NIKITIN: A CASE OF YOU"

1. Ca$h-Money! says:

I’m really curious to see how they deploy the defense. Assuming the top six is:

Petry
    Marincin
    Fayne
    Nikitin
    Ference
    Schultz

I don’t see an obvious 1st pairing… or an obvious 3rd pairing. We know Ference/Schultz generally doesn’t work together, we don’t want to pin all our hope on Marincin, we know Fayne can shut down top comp but probably not for 28 minutes a night.

I think we might see 6 guys play in the ballpark of 20 minutes a night, with a tight spread between first pairing and third. Maybe Marincin plays with Fayne against tough comp, Nikitin with Schultz, and Ference with Petry… maybe there will be an effort to give Petry softer competition to set him up for an end of season trade if the sense is there that he won’t resign*.

*Note that I’m not advocating moving Petry, simply pointing out that he doesn’t have to stay if he doesn’t want to, and not being privy to the inner workings of his mind, it wouldn’t shock me if he wanted to try something new. If management is aware of that a pump and dump might be in order.

2. theres oil in virginia says:

For what it’s worth, in the 15 or so CBJ games I watched, Johnson and Tyutin were almost exclusively always 1st pair, followed by Wisniewski and Murray (until Murray was injured – again), and Nikitin was partnered with a string of other guys on the third pair, even after Murray was hurt. I think your chart displays that rather well. I’m guessing Prout stepped into the second pair role after Murray went down.

3. OilClog says:

If they’re trying to find Pronger.. Wait.. If they’re trying to find Pronger.. Nikitin? That’s what it takes to work in the NHL.. I have a Pronger and I raise you a Nikitin.. Were doomed forever.

4. nycoil says:

Good morning! One of my all-time favourite songs; I listen to it whenever I get homesick for Canada. As it happens, I am in BC this week so won’t have to listen to it. At first, I thought this song for Nikitin–are you crazy? And then I read your explanation and it makes so much sense now.

It doesn’t look like we are going to find 2.0 the way we found 1.0 (the beautiful 3-for-1) so the development of Nurse becomes the great hope for us all; there’s so much weight on that young man’s shoulders. Maybe he could have been this song as well.

5. PerryK says:

Corey Sznajder, who has been working on zone entries, just tweeted this CBJ chart from last year:

This is how Columbus' defense did at defending entries relative to the team average in 26 games. pic.twitter.com/ovb5t12fdL— Corey Sznajder (@ShutdownLine) August 6, 2014

Apparently, Nikitin looks pretty good!

6. Jordan says:

Ca$h-Money!:
    I’m really curious to see how they deploy the defense.Assuming the top six is:

Petry
    Marincin
    Fayne
    Nikitin
    Ference
    Schultz

I don’t see an obvious 1st pairing… or an obvious 3rd pairing.We know Ference/Schultz generally doesn’t work together, we don’t want to pin all our hope on Marincin, we know Fayne can shut down top comp but probably not for 28 minutes a night.

I think we might see 6 guys play in the ballpark of 20 minutes a night, with a tight spread between first pairing and third.Maybe Marincin plays with Fayne against tough comp, Nikitin with Schultz, and Ference with Petry…maybe there will be an effort to give Petry softer competition to set him up for an end of season trade if the sense is there that he won’t resign*.

*Note that I’m not advocating moving Petry, simply pointing out that he doesn’t have to stay if he doesn’t want to, and not being privy to the inner workings of his mind, it wouldn’t shock me if he wanted to try something new.If management is aware of that a pump and dump might be in order.

So, the Oilers need 3 different D pairings to work

Players who have had success against top opposition:
    Petry, Marincin*, Fayne (*=small sample)
    Players who may need to be sheltered
    Schultz, Nikitin, Ferrence
    Players who don’t play well together:
    Schultz & Ferrence

Maybe they look at:
    Fayne Petry (top opp. & DZ)
    Nikitin Schultz (weak opp. & OZ)
    Marincin Ferrence (mid. opp & NZ)

Might make 3 functional pairings. Not sure about Ferrence on the RHS, as I remember there being some work done by others on him being less effective on the RHS, but it might be worth a shot just to see how MM does with him. If he can help the captain as much as he helped others last year, that might just be enough.

7. Mr DeBakey says:

Nikitin & Tyutin were strong together in Ohio
    I wondered, wonder, if the Oilers signed Nikitin because they see him meshing with someone specific – Schultz say.

Just a random thought

PerryK:

So if I’m reading that correctly, he’s about 2% better than average against mid-level comp?

9. PerryK says:

Jordan,

Just flip Fayne and Ference, and your line up works!

Niktin was pretty good playing 1st w/ Tyutin when he first came over from STL to CBJ.

The trade looked like a steal after the first year.

Last year he was holding a rook’s hand and was better away from him except for some really awful time with Tyutin.

He’s not a slam dunk that he’s better than Marincin, but it is a slam dunk that he’s better than Ference.

Ference and Nultz playing above 3rds with rookies has been the biggest personnel issues on the D.

Hopefully the top 4 D are Fayne, Petry, Marincin and Nikitin (in terms of QC and 5v5 TOI)

I like that the Oilers got him, but man did he make them pay.

Good thing its only 2 years.

11. blainer says:

I think Nikitin ends up third pairing with some PP time. The pickup of Fayne was excellent and can see him playing 23 mins a night at times. Nikitin is still young and has posted some good numbers in the past so fingers crossed.. He is a big step up on Fraser for sure… finally a third pairing that won’t be a black hole for us..

12. Jordan says:

PerryK:
    Jordan,

Just flip Fayne and Ference, and your line up works!

Marincin Fayne (top opp. & DZ)
    Nikitin Schultz (weak opp. & OZ)
    Ferrence Petry (mid. opp & NZ)

I’m a little leery of putting a near-rookie on the first pairing, even if he looks like he might be the best option. I’m still concerned about the kids durability, especially when playing the hardest of minutes. I am also concerned about a sophomore slump.

Hopefully he makes me look silly for worrying.

13. PerryK says:

blainer,

blainer:

Hey, if you keep working away on the 3rd pairing (instead of the 1st pairing which was essential!), you finally fix that; what 4 years later?

14. Numenius says:

Unless I’m misreading something, BTN has Nikitin at 8th in Qual comp (whether CorsiOn or CorsiRel) among regular D, not 2nd. That would match with the Vollman.

15. leadfarmer says:

Nikitin is like a big N.Schultz with a Kurtis Foster slapshot. Strong but not accurate. Not too many tears shed in Columbus about him leaving.

Numenius:

No, he’s second for sure.

17. Numenius says:

Lowetide: No, he’s second for sure.

The same link also has Nikitin at 8th for CorsiRel Qualcomp, and the number (-0.636) is identical to the number on your Vollman chart, which uses CorsiRel Qualcomp. In other words, BTN and Vollman are consistent.

So I still don’t get where 2nd among regular D comes from.

Numenius: I’m not quite following. That link highlights +/- Qual comp (calculated based on the relative +/- of the opposition) and it seems to have Nikitin at 7th among regular D (unless you don’t count N.Schultz).

So I still don’t get where 2nd among regular D comes from.

19. czar says:

LT, when are you back on the air?

czar:
    LT, when are you back on the air?

Monday.

21. RexLibris says:

Numenius,

And LT,

I read the QualComp at BtN similarly – the higher you are ranked, or the more positive the number, the tougher the competition you are generally playing against.

Am I mistaken?

22. czar says:

Look forward to it

23. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Yep. You’re right. I kept reading Nikitin as Tyutin right to the end! Fixed, and thanks!

Meh, invert the list and you are correct.

There’s nothing to say you can’t alter facts to fit your argument. ;)

RexLibris: Meh, invert the list and you are correct.

There’s nothing to say you can’t alter facts to fit your argument. ;)

This many years into the Oilers losing, I barely look at the facts! :-)

25. Numenius says:

Lowetide: Yep. You’re right. I kept reading Nikitin as Tyutin right to the end!

Ah, that makes sense. I wish we had Tyutin!

26. justDOit says:

Numenius,

Yer darn tootin!

27. Genjutsu says:

I really think this is the Schultz partner. Big O-zone push and home sheltered minuets.

Its not ideal but as a stop gap its not a terrible idea until Klef or Nurse eats his lunch.

One year away?

Less?

Nikitin is better than Ference. Full stop.

Ference and Jultz has to be the easiest 5v5 minutes.

29. Магия 10 says:

Tim Barnes: “If you were to give me five hockey analytics versus five GMs or vice-presidents of hockey operations or five coaches — five coaches especially — to weigh a player, I’d take [the latters'] opinion … A lot of analytics would have very young teams that won’t win.”

30. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: This many years into the Oilers losing, I barely look at the facts!

Wait, the Oilers are losing?! Impossible. They won the draft lottery in 2010 and 2012. This is an organization that knows a thing or two about winning in all areas of hockey.

31. RexLibris says:

Магия 10:

Best to phrase the situation reductio ad absurdum and latch on to whatever distorted nugget of supposed truth comes out of it.

Having problems cutting and pasting the Web address on my phone, but Elliott Freidman found Vic Ferrari and interviewed him.

33. Магия 10 says:

RexLibris: Of course, because we wouldn’t want to have one opinion from each category in the mix. That’d be too confusing.

Um. I suspect “Vic” knows that.

mc79hockey @mc79hockey · 14m
    The most amazing thing to happen to me this week is a) learning Vic Ferarri’s last name (I had Tim B.) and b) seeing a picture of him

And I see the link is already posted.

35. Магия 10 says:

Wonder how many GMs have called Eliotte so far?

36. Derek says:

Магия 10:

Wow, thanks for posting this. I hope he gets back into blogging and analysis, and hopefully fills some of the void Tylers departure has left.

Its kind of like seeing a ghost.

37. Pouzar says:

TSN showing the CAN vs RUS World Jr game tonight…any idea where to get a lineup anyone?

38. Bag of Pucks says:

Finally had some time over the weekend to re-watch a couple of classic games.

Watched G5 of the 06 Finals (Pisani OT winner) and was struck by the great depth the Canes had at C (Brindamour, Staal, Weight, Cullen). That was a tough team to matchup against. Oddly enough, before the OT winner, Pisani was largely invisible in the game. Peca and Torres were absolute beasts.

Torres for Brule. Not exactly a feather in the cap for Six Rings.

Btw, what’s the origin of the nickname of ‘The Rake’ for Pronger? Mr Google is having trouble finding that one.

Also watched G1 of the 84 Stanley Cup Final. What really stood out was how hard the Oiler pushed the pace in that game and the effect it had on the Isles by the third period, when the Oil heavily outshot them. Great tactics by Slats. He knew he had the younger, more rested team and he pushed that advantage to the hilt. There’s some great iso shots in that game of NYI players heading to the bench in the third absolutely sucking wind. To be fair, Messier looked pretty damn exhausted by the end as well.

Forgot how fun it was to watch short acrobatic goaltenders back then too. Fuhr and Smith jumping all over the place.

Much like the debate we have these days about the value of a skilled 4th line, it was interesting to see the big impact the Oilers 4th line (McLelland, Hughes, Hunter) had in that game. Of course, MacClelland scored the lone goal, but Hughes had numerous chances and Hunter was arguably the most impactful player in the game. In addition to matching up directly against Bossy and absolutely shutting him down, he drove Smith and the Isles D Corps to absolute distraction with his physical, chippy play. Talk about a F that dominated on the boards. Those Hunter boys were gamers.

Woodguy:
    Nikitin is better than Ference. Full stop.

Ference and Jultz has to be the easiest 5v5 minutes.

Ference was a half-decent defensemen in Boston when he played with a veteran right D, and looks completely lost playing with Schultz. Keep the two apart.

Marincin Petry
    Ference Fayne
    Nikitin Schultz

3rd “2nd pairing” type combo’s.

40. GATO BANDIDO says:

“…he isn’t 40, has 10 fingers and toes, and at least one season of success behind him. ” = $4.5 M

If you want me I’ll be in the bar.

41. justDOit says:

Pouzar,

Did a quick search, and didn’t come up with anything. I watched last night’s game vs Cze, and have a few numbers still in the banks:

Chase: 17
    Bennett: 9
    Ekblad: 5 (concussed last night by 160 lb Czech defender – probably won’t play tonight)
    Fleury: 4
    Morrissey: 7 (I think…)
    Nurse: 25

Nurse looked a little shakey at times (missed some passes and got caught once) early in the game, but seemed to settle down later and make some good reads. Wasn’t afraid to jump up into the play either. Took a slashing penalty for what was really a clean hit that broke the Czech player’s stick.

Chase played well, made some good passes and his line forechecked well – 2 assists for Chase. Late in the game, he reacted as expected to a high, late hit and spent some time in the box – game was out of reach by then.

Saw Bennett as overwhelmed at times in his own end, and he didn’t look at all like he was capable of driving the play. But being a summer game of hastily assembled teams, that isn’t surprising.

Edit: Lazar is 26. He looked good throughout the game, and especially on the penalty kill.

godot10: Ference was a half-decent defensemen in Boston when he played with a veteran right D, and looks completely lost playing with Schultz.Keep the two apart.

Marincin Petry
    Ference Fayne
    Nikitin Schultz

3rd “2nd pairing” type combo’s.

Ference was mostly 3rd pairing his last year in BOS.

He was ok, not great.

Next season is 3 years later.

He’s old and his WOWY are worse than Jultz.

43. TheOtherJohn says:

Elliotte Friedman……seriously what a pro!

As compared to the local MSM grumblers complaining that an analytics hire is not certain of success

Ramsay and Dellow are very nice hireson hockey ops side

44. justDOit says:

Pouzar:

Just found this from last night.

45. Big Dan says:

Nikitin is not a gamble.

Labarbera, on the tail end of a career in which he was a sieve for the most part, was a gamble I whined about last year.

Hiring Eakins when experienced pros like Lindy Ruff were available was a gamble I grumbled about last year.

Bringing back bums like Ryan Jones and Denis Grebeshkov was a gamble I scratched my head about.

Since November… MacT has stopped gambling and started making calculated/ intelligent moves. I’ve been impressed by what he has done and Nikitin is not a gamble. He’s proven and will be a great 2nd pairing guy (albeit at a hefty “Nobody wants to play in Edmonton” premium).

He got surpassed by some good young guys in Columbus, it happens. Nikitin is in that plum age range when he peaks.

The sure bets in the top two pairings are Petry, Fayne, and Nikitin. Ference is a good 3rd pairing guy. Will Marincin stay strong? Will Schultz rebound?

If Petry wanted more than $4.5M/year, I am glad MacT passed. He had a crappy first half and a good second half by my eye.

If he has a great year and Schultz doesn’t, I can see MacT resigning him in mid-year; I think Petry likes Edmonton.

If Schultz reaches his potential, then Petry will get us a nice draft pick for his rights after the Oilers’ Cup run in 2015. :)

46. Lois Lowe says:

TheOtherJohn,

What seems apparent is that Neilson acolytes are the order of the day in Edmonton. Both Ramsay and Eakins apprenticed under him, and Dellow’s work is an expansion of concepts that Neilson (and subsequently Ferrari et al) had developed.

47. Pouzar says:

Lois Lowe:
    TheOtherJohn,

Just Great….another OBC :P

48. TheOtherJohn says:

Dellow is neither a Neilson acolyte or the member of the Old Boys Club.

Would be as far as possible from both

49. Logan91 says:

Pouzar:

Do you know if they’re airing it on TV? Or just on their website?

50. Pouzar says:

justDOit,, Logan91,

oops….thought it was on TV….sorry.

Many updates would be appreciated as my computer won’t stream shite recently

51. sephF says:

It will be interesting to see how the pairings work themselves out, it can go a number of ways

Marincin-Petry
    Nikitin-Fayne
    Ference-Schultz
    Aulie

(Klefbom to start in the AHL)

is my best guess. I’m not a fan of the Ference-Schultz pairing personally but I don’t know how else they could organize the pairings without putting someone on their off-side.

52. rickithebear says:

The internet is working today at Marble mountain in Bras Dor lake.

Nikitin’s 1.31 evga/60 facing 2nd comp last 3 years was best of any comp level.
    Fayne’s 1.61 was 2nd best for 2nd comp last 3 years.
    there % of shots in chance area is in the elite protection group.
    As was Petry and Aulie.

So while some give a darn about corsi.

the complete game
    Pocession, entry, box protection were clearly targeted.

Congrates to Tyler!

Off to do the daily check of upper and lower vineyards.

53. Hemsky is a gangsta says:

rickithebear: The internet is working today at Marble mountain in Bras Dor lake.Nikitin’s 1.31 evga/60 facing 2nd comp last 3 years was best of any comp level.Fayne’s 1.61 was 2nd best for 2nd comp last 3 years.there % of shots in chance area is in the elite protection group.As was Petry and Aulie.So while some give a darn about corsi.the complete gamePocession, entry, box protection were clearly targeted.Congrates to Tyler!Off to do the daily check of upper and lower vineyards.

Long time reader who barely ever posts – % of shots from chance area? Sounds interesting, is this recorded somewhere?

Also – thinking about getting a #79 jersey. Should the namebar read ‘Dellow’ or ‘Mudcrutch’?