RE 14-15 OSCAR KLEFBOM: CAR ON A HILL

Oscar Klefbom is taking forever. It’s not his fault—this should be Alex Plante’s car coming over the hill and it should be 2011. However, we are here. The sooner Klefbom can fill a top four role—I believe he’ll partner with Justin Schultz or Martin Marincin when the cannons arrive as one—the sooner these hired guns can walk down the line.

OSCAR KLEFBOM 13-14

• 5×5 points per 60: 0.74 (4th among D)
  • 5×4 points per 60: nil
  • Qual Comp: 4th toughest among D
  • Qual Team: worst available among D
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 44.3
  • Corsi for 5×5 % REL: +1.0
  • Zone Start: 35.1% (toughest among D)
  • Zone Finish: 43.7% (2nd best among D)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 14 shots/7.1% (3rd among D>10 shots)
  • Boxcars: 17, 1-2-3

RE 13-14 REVIEW

PPG NAME GP G A PTS
.217 OSCAR KLEFBOM OKC RE 13-14 60 1 12 13
.208 OSCAR KLEFBOM OKC ACTUAL 13-14 48 1 9 10

RE 13-14 REVIEW

PPG NAME GP G A PTS
.150 OSCAR KLEFBOM RE 13-14 20 0 3 3
.176 OSCAR KLEFBOM ACTUAL 13-14 17 1 2 3

RE 14-15 PREVIEW

PPG NAME GP G A PTS
.171 OSCAR KLEFBOM RE 14-15 41 1 6 7

VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER (CORSI REL)

oilers defense 13-14 with klefbom

1. What do these numbers tell us? Klefbom had a nice season in limited exposure. By eye, this young man showed all kinds of good things including terrific speed and an idea about how to play the position. His severe zone start, added to the qual comp, means the Corsi is quite impressive. I very much enjoyed Oscar Klefbom’s first games as an NHL player.
  2. Eakins felt he improved after a terrible start: Eakins: “He’s been night-and-day for me from those first 30 minutes he played for us. We still have to protect him a little bit — that’s the fair thing to do with a man of his experience — but so far, so good. He’s making progress.”
  3. But Eakins didn’t protect him. Well he did in terms of quality of competition, and did not in terms of zone start. I can understand why he did it—Klefbom is going to make his living that way.
  4. Why do it so soon? I think the reason Edmonton likes Klefbom so much is that he can already handle the physical game. He can win battles, and play physically against those big wingers. Edmonton doesn’t have that kind of game from Schultz or really even Marincin, who uses wingspan. Klefbom and Nurse are the two-way types who’ll do it, and then you have Musil who can also perform those tasks.
  5. Edmonton likes him more than Marincin? I believe they do, yes.
  6. Because he’s physical?!?! Well, yes but it’s more than that. Klefbom is the modern package for defense. Craig MacTavish: “In the course of what I was doing this year early, I took a trip to Farjestad to watch Oscar. I went in there with one of our Swedish scouts, Pelle Eklund, and it was one of those games where I walked in, sat down, watched warm-up, Oscar came on the ice. The team that they were playing, Modo at the time, dumped the puck in the corner. Oscar pivoted and went back hard and fast for the puck. He fought off a pretty physical forecheck, turned to the back of the net, made a movement of the puck, a simple play, a direct pass up to the wall. That player subsequently turned the puck over. Oscar closed the gap in a hurry in the corner, used his stick, finished his check, knocked the guy off the puck, spun the other side of the net and moved the puck out. I turned to Pelle at the time and said, we can pretty much pack up our briefcase right now and get outta here, I’ve seen enough. I’m always a little bit skeptical when I hear very positive things without having seen them myself. I wanted to spend that trip, get over, take a look at Oscar and we have high hopes that he’ll be a part of our team very quickly. Whether he needs some time, we like to think that all players are benefited from some sort of time in the American Hockey League. Oscar, having played with men this year, might be an exception, but that will be determined at training camp for him.”
  7. And Marincin can’t do that? Marincin can’t naturally do that, he’s more finesse than Klefbom. It’s a small item, and my own belief is that Marincin is the better bet, but Klefbom has the Oilers attention because he can play physically and move the puck efficiently.
  8. What will hold Klefbom back? Injuries will be the story if he doesn’t have a long career. Klefbom has played 78 hockey games since 2012 summer, so he missed some development time already, and his injury history is a very real worry.
  9. What’s the best thing you can say about Oscar Klefbom? He’s bona fide. If you saved the games he played in, watch them again. This is a wonderful hockey player, there’s an authority in his skating and guile in his actions. He’ll need to fly a 1,000 sorties and learn on the job, but that process is underway and there are good days a head for Klefbom as an Oiler.
  10. Nurse is the better prospect of the three? Yes. I think so. Nurse combines the wingspan of Marincin with his own wiry build, kind of like Larry Robinson. There’s a certain presence Nurse has already, where he’s a threat in all areas. He can pass it, skate it up, knock you down, knock you out, be a little filthy if the occasion arises, close a gap, mark his man. There’s not much left.
  11. What is the offensive outer marker for Klefbom? Hmmm.  Jason Smith, I’d say. Smith scored 20 points once in the NHL, suspect Klefbom might get there a time or two.
  12. Your projections are so computery. It’s a gift.
  13. Who will he eventually be paired with? I see Nurse and Marincin as the eventual lefties, and Schultz plus Klefbom as the RH side. Marincin-Klefbom is the more logical fit, as Nurse-Schultz makes sense when both mature. Either way, Nurse and Klefbom are the physical edges of each pairing and then we match the others.
  14. Could Klefbom team up with Fayne? During the coming season? That’s a lot to ask of Klefbom, that’s kind of why MacT went out and grabbed three free agents.
  15. Too bad Edmonton didn’t move up in that 2011 draft. Klefbom was taken 19th, after all the good defensemen were gone. Heh. NHL teams chose Adam Larsson, Dougie Hamilton, Jonas Brodin, Duncan Siemens, Ryan Murphy, Jamie Oleksiak and Nathan Beaulieu ahead of him.
  16. I’d rather have those guys. Meh. People get all out of joint on these things, we’re still three years away from seeing who is any good. I think Larsson should have a career, Hamilton will but we don’t know if it’s as a complete player. Brodin looks good, David Staples loves Oleksiak and Duncan Siemens looks like he’s falling off the pace. We still have a long way to go.
  17. You said five years! It’s been three. Two more years and we’ll have more of an idea, I expect Klefbom to be in the NHL and playing well, or be losing ground because of injury. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of risk in this player beyond the injury concern.
  18. Will you have a goals-for post up tonight? Yes, and we’ll take care of the goalies over the next day or so.
  19. Because I could just add them up. Fill your hat, but I’ll have a post up tonight comparing this and last year etc.
  20. Why this song? It’s about waiting. Waiting on a friend, or in this case waiting for a prospect to arrive. You’re impatient and irritated, but like the narrator in the song there’s just no question about who is in control. Waiting for the headlights to appear, we’re on Oscar time. Klefbom is supremely confident, even with the injuries every interview I’ve seen him do is positive. Lots of  ‘of course’ and ‘you bets’, he hasn’t had a lot of things turn contrary in his life. That’s awesome, I hope he gets 15 more years just like the ones he’s seen so far, and sincerely hope he can stay healthy. That’s the only down arrow I can see for Oscar Klefbom. He’s a stud. Fact.

57 Responses to "RE 14-15 OSCAR KLEFBOM: CAR ON A HILL"

Today on the Lowdown:

10:05 Scott Burnside, ESPN
    10:25 Andrew Bucholtz, 55-yard line
    11:00 Dennis King, Oilogosphere icon
    11:25 Jonathan Willis, Oilers Nation and Cult of Hockey

2. Ca$h-Money! says:

Plus, he might already be the handsomest Oiler.

Just saying….

3. russ99 says:

Since we currently have 7 defensemen on the NHL roster, I hope that means Klefbom gets a big chunk of time in the AHL this year, would serve him well.

4. leadfarmer says:

I know I hammer the Oilers and the Mediocre Bastard, but I really like this pick. If it wasnt for back to back season ending injuries he would be a bonafide NHLer already.

Plus what does that say about the collection of veterans on this team when young players that are completely inexperienced are eating their lunch.

5. bry_oil says:

LT (or anybody else open to discussion),
    in your opinion do you see Klefbom becoming a similar player to Fayne. Good first pass (but not a “puck mover”), great positioning, with a mix of size thrown in?

6. Jordan says:

Today on the Lowdown:

10:05 Scott Burnside, ESPN
    10:25 Andrew Bucholtz, 55-yard line
    11:00 Dennis King, Oilogosphere icon
    11:25 Jonathan Willis, Oilers Nation and Cult of Hockey

Dennis King on a Monday? At ELEVEN?! WTF is this?

I mean, the man already carries your show when you have him on, but now, ten’s not good enough, so you want him to turn it up to eleven?!?!

I might have to start liking Monday…

This is such a tease. I know that conceptually, it’s what we are all hoping he projects to be, but… it sounds so much like Chris Pronger. So, so much. I feel so many conflicting feelings reading that Nurse has the potential to become that player. Sadness, anger, fear, hope, jubilation… it’s all there reading those words, and remembering what this player was for the Oilers, and what Nurse could mean for the future.

I’m really surprised that your alter-ego didn’t bring it up either here or on your RE for the young man. Is that because the Human Rake’s shadow and departure still loom large over this team? Or rather, over this fan base?

7. Ducey says:

Listening to Derek Van Diest this morning. He was on for Fraser and Neilson on 1260.

He was asked about the hiring of Dellow. He responded with a rant:

Some low- lights:

- was very critical of the hiring
    -Dellow very critical of MSM
    -Dellow is a self promoter. Only person who thinks Dellow is great is Dellow himself
    -”don’t want to say it [hiring] was desperation, but…”
    -Oilers trying to give coach everything he needs so no excuses
    -fancy stats just tell management the same things scouts do. If want to spend more money, spend on scouts
    -MSM there all the time. They know better. They see behind the play, watch practice. Not relying on TV. Can see Hemsky not backchecking.
    -Hemsky didn’t backcheck. Knew practice was over when Hemsky went off. He was always off the ice first. Didn’t stay for extra work. (yes, he actually said this)
    -He can see who is better at bring puck out of corner. Doesn’t need stats to tell him.
    -Hockey has too many players and moving parts to judge with stats

I finished shaving at that point and turned it off, but wow, what an idiot. He obviously has made no effort to understand advanced stats AT ALL. I didn’t think anyone actually was this ignorant anymore. I guess he “writes” for the Sun. “Telling it like it is” * and Ignorance seem to be prerequisites to work there.

I suggest LT punch him in the head once he gets into work this AM.

*“Telling it like it is” is code for myopia. It reduces complexities and eliminates nuance to the point of creating a malnourishing pablum of falsehoods that gets spoon-fed into the mouths of the less discerning – (not my words – pulled this off the interwebs.)

8. Hammers says:

Klefbom could be that all around defencemen within the next year or so available to be on both the PK & PP . He just seems to have it all . As for this year you give him 41 games , guessing but probably 2nd half once a trade takes place . We should now be looking at our line up for the future . Marincin , Klefbom , Nurse & Schultz will be included with Fayne as the top 5 and hopefully for the 16-17 season and if Nurse is ready maybe 15-16 season .Ference will slide to 6-7 Nikitan will be traded along with Petry .My question is who out of Simpson , Gernat & Musil will be in that last slot or will a major trade happen .

9. John Chambers says:

I think Klef’s eventual fate will be on the left side of Fayne on the shutdown pair, possibly debuting this season, but delivering massive results on a minimal budget starting in spring 2016.

10. Braden88 says:

Ducey,

I was driving to work and listening to this thinking”who is that guy?”

i dont mind that he has a strong opinion, but he sounds like he was transported straight from watching Team canada win in the 1972 summit series.

what he fails to realize is that Stats are not evil numbers that solve all the problems of the skill equation. they are just a way to track trends. Just like Eakins talked about recently on the radio, it doesn’t replace coaching or the large number of assets available to a coach, its just another voice in the conversation.

in the end, it was very entertaining to listen to him rant.

11. John Chambers says:

I see things lining up this way for D:

Ference – Fayne
    18 minutes a night at ES and PK, but extra sorties for Fayne, matched against Getzlaf, Kopitar, Sedin’s, etc. Part of Ference’s train wreck was playing too many minutes, and too many with Schultz Jr.

Marincin – Petry
    22 or 23 mins / night 2nd toughs, built to post a blue bubble. Secondary PP time, top PK time.

Nikitin – Schultz
    Off zone starts, 1st unit powerplay. Schultz is the guy who skates it in 5 on 4, Nikitin has the hammer, and can play big in the D zone.
    If kept to under 20 mins they’ll be an effective pair.

Klefbom will eventually take Ference’s job, and we could see the captain PB’d by as early as this spring depending on the rate Oscar progresses.

12. Braden88 says:

Hammers,

its a common practice for any fan to look at all your potential prospects and see them all reach the NHL and play together. I like to do it to, but i dont think its realistic. i still remember fantasizing about Paajarvi, Lander, Hartikainen as our future third line. Remember Cogliano, Gagner, Nillson. Considering how much Harder it is to Scout and Draft Quality D prospects, dont see more than 3 making the team long term

Persoanlly in keeping with the RE. i would say likely Nurse and Klefbom are sure bets at this Point. Beyond that I dont think all of Simpson, Gernat, Musil, davidson, or Marincin will be Oilers. Marincin is the surest bet, but all of the rest are easily packaged in any number or trade possibilities. It is probably ofly tempting to Trade Marincin at this point and develop someone else. Anything can and does happen.

Out of all our drafted D. it seems unlikely that more than Nurse, Klefbom, Petry, Marincin play together long term or even very much longer beyond this coming season.

But I still remain optimistic

13. thejonrmcleod says:

The best/worst part of Van Diest’s rant was when he said, “I don’t even know how they come up with these stats.” He wondered if individuals were manually counting all of the shots, etc. and questioned the legitimacy of the stats. You’d think he’d at least do a little research.

14. Henry says:

bry_oil,

Klefbom has an extra gear that I don’t think Fayne (or most other defensemen) has.

15. Henry says:

Ducey,

Hemsky backchecked better than any Oiler RW since Pisani.

16. Henry says:

thejonrmcleod,

No more doughnuts for Van Diest.

17. jake70 says:

Dustin Penner for Colton Teubert, Danil Zarkhov, and Oscar Klefbom. If Oscar turns into a solid top 4 D for 10 years or so, I’ll do that trade again and again.

18. Pouzar says:

Henry:
    bry_oil,

MM says hi.

Fastest Skater (seconds)

1.Taylor Hall — 13.986

2.Martin Marincin — 14.133

19. hunter1909 says:

jake70:
    Dustin Penner for Colton Teubert, Danil Zarkhov, and Oscar Klefbom.If Oscar turns into a solid top 4 D for10 years or so, I’ll do that trade again and again.

Me too. That Teubert’s a killer.

20. Jordan says:

thejonrmcleod:

So… a guy who comes on the radio to crap all over the hiring of Dellow, his analytics work and his intolerance of ignorance, while extoling the “saw him good”, “I know what I saw” & “numbers don’t show you character” position is going to do research on the position he’s arguing against….

Yup. Uh-huh. Sure he is….

To be fair, I understand where he’s coming from. He’s already decided which narrative is the right one. Why look at the alternatives?

Now, I think that’s asinine, but at least it’s a coherent world view.

21. hunter1909 says:

Ca$h-Money!:
    Plus, he might already be the handsomest Oiler.

Just saying….

It’s always a hoot watching handsome rookies blossom into broken nosed, battle scarred vets. NHL defense isn’t the most salubrious element for their maintenance.

22. hunter1909 says:

Jordan: To be fair, I understand where he’s coming from.

No doubt this blog is set to blossom into a Dellowmania style rhapsody next season; as the actual NHL team/Eakens-led dunderheads stagger out of the gate; only flirt with the upper reaches of the non-playoffs in the west afterward.

With a 9th consecutive year out of the playoffs, and a 3x 1st overall pick franchise possibly flirting with an EVEN money bet that they’ll never win a single cup with any of them…stats will help keep the kleenex wet during those long long winter nights to come.

23. Aitch says:

LT, can you comment on why you chose to put Klefbom in the RE series and Aulie in the Training Camp Hopeful series? It would seem that Aulie is more likely to start in Edmonton based on the respective contracts.

Dennis b’y… we’ll have to watch a game or two together again this year. I still can’t watch a dman dump the puck in when they’re within spitting distance of the red line without thinking of Jason Smith.

24. Jordan says:

hunter1909,

I have a lot of respect for someone who has a fairly coherant world-view. I may not agree with how they interpret the world, but at least it makes some kind of rational sense.

It’s one of the reasons I don’t argue with you hunter. I don’t like playing chess with pigeons.

25. Braden88 says:

hunter1909: NHL defense isn’t the most salubrious element for their maintenance.

in laymans terms.

Hockey no good for face

26. fifthcartel says:

Pouzar,

I think I read somewhere here that Marincin also had a 100 mph slapshot back in Prince George/Regina? Either way, his set of tools seems ridiculous. I really hope he get some powerplay time this season.

I think Marincin vs Klefbom will be interesting, but I’d wager MM has the lead so far.

“Oscar Klefbom is taking forever.”

How so? He is arriving faster than Marincin, or at the same pace, having missed significant time due to injury. Only Brodin and Hamilton are significantly further ahead of the guys picked ahead of him. Klefbom has pretty much caught up to Larsson and has edged ahead of Oleksiak.

Despite injury, he is arguably right on track.

I think he is the guy you eventually pair with Schultz. I think he is the only D smart enough to compensate for Justin the wanderer. From his comments last year, once he was paired with Schultz, it was clear he wasn’t freaked out on the ice, like say Ference was, everytime Ference was paired with Schultz.

28. Pouzar says:

fifthcartel:
    Pouzar,

Glad we have both of them.

29. russ99 says:

Listened to the fancystat teardown, and sadly it’s not built on “saw-him-good” which has some value.

Instead it perpetrates the sporting cultural myth that “hustle” makes players better. I’d rather have a quality player who makes all the plays and doesn’t “stay on the ice on a dump” than a bunch of bums who play hard and do nothing.

30. rickithebear says:

Jordan: He’s already decided which narrative is the right one.

Key word Narative.

You do not study journalism cause math was your strongest skill.

You study Journalism to free create with a digon that lacks structure.
    In a trade that has an expectation of writing to a grade 5 level audience.

It is more than likely that “the action of analytics” is not on the most active area of a news page writers brain.

31. "Steve Smith" says:

Say what you will about Van Diest, but I’m prepared to give him a shot as the Oilers’ second line centre.

(Will this ever stop being funny? No, if only because it would have to start being funny first.)

32. rickithebear says:

Pouzar: Yeah he can shoot it too. I think he will eventually be featured more offensively and I thought we saw more of it as the season went on. I am higher than most on MM but I love Oscar too.
    Glad we have both of them.

Amen

Oilers current signed D depth!
    Petry
    Marincin
    Nikitin
    Fayne
    Ference
    Aulie
    Klefbom
    Nurse

33. Lois Lowe says:

russ99:

Give me a team of Ryan Joneses any day. More eyeglow than a supermoon!

Aitch:

Klefbom will imo start in the minors, but play more games. Starters play 41 or more games, TC hopefuls fewer than 40. At least that was the idea.

35. Frank The Dog says:

fifthcartel:
    Pouzar,

but MacT “saw him good”. Good test for Dellow’s impact on roster decisions.

36. Bruce McCurdy says:

Maybe Eakins saw Dellow good.

37. Pouzar says:

Bruce McCurdy:
    Maybe Eakins saw Dellow good.

I am willing to give Dellow a shot at 2nd Line Center……………………#sorry SS

38. justDOit says:

russ99:

“It takes absolutely no talent to hustle or compete. Set that standard.”

39. russ99 says:

justDOit: Quote from Jason Garrett, coach of the Dallas Cowboys (CoH article on Dallas’ Dallas visit):

“It takes absolutely no talent to hustle or compete. Set that standard.”

40. G Money says:

russ99: I’d rather have a quality player who makes all the plays and doesn’t “stay on the ice on a dump” than a bunch of bums who play hard and do nothing.

False dichotomy.

41. Ducey says:

russ99: LOL. To compete is using their natural abilities at the highest level. Has nothing to do with hustle.Hustle is a crutch for less effective players and coaches. Looks good, accomplishes little. We stink but hey we look good trying not to stink.A truly motivated team with a professional attitude has no need for that nonsense.

So teams that hustle don’t have to worry about hustling.

G Money: False dichotomy.

I am willing to give dichotomy a shot at 2C.

43. Frank The Dog says:

Lowetide: I am willing to give dichotomy a shot at 2C.

Just don’t give the 2C a lobotomy

44. thejonrmcleod says:

russ99:

Intentional bathroom humour?

45. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I suspect one of the issues pushing Klef forward in the Oilers’ thinking is simply draft pedigree.

I mean a bunch of things by that.

IIRC, MM was pushed heavily by one Euro scout or another and the team manoeuvred into the 2nd to get him.

As a first rounder, I’m guessing Klefbom was much more heavily scouted by the team. They probably have a longer and deeper psychological relationship with Klefbom (relative to draft year).

I also think a kind of “delayed gratification” thing happened with the injuries. The team saw brilliant, short flashes of play and wrote its a promissory note for the future. Without playing much actual hockey it is easier to let perceptions (good or bad) take hold and to over or under project the future.

None of which is to say Klefbom isn’t a fantastic prospect. But, I think there may be more than simply “style of play” that gives Klefbom an advantage (though that is certainly part of it… I completely agree).

46. HeavySig says:

So LT, who is this Hustle Dichotomy guy and why do you hate him so much?

*scrambles to trademark the phrase before the rimshot finishes echoing*

47. Braden88 says:

Lowetide: I am willing to give dichotomy a shot at 2C.

I dont see the mad panic about 2C. Yes of coarse we could use another C for insurance purposes. but i think Arcobello has more than proved he is ready for this challenge.

if we’re just looking at Arcobello’s skill and ability, no one would panic. add in his games played and size, and people get worried. You look at Gagner last year, and its pretty clear that his size was greater, but yet he was a defensive mess. Swap him with Arco and i feel much better about the situation.

Add in the greater size this year in Purcell and Pouliot and along with the combined defense and 2-way ability of Purcell, Pouliot and Arco, and suddenly I stop sweating.

bottom line, the kid has earned this chance, he’s shown he can thrive in the NHL, and he’s proven he has nothing left to learn in the AHL. Lets not create a problem before it even exists. Another C would be nice but i think the very least Arco can do for sure is hold the position until help arrives. this isn’t the last couple years when Nuge was out or Gags was out and Hall was the C

48. G Money says:

Lowetide: I am willing to give dichotomy a shot at 2C.

Me too, as long as he hustles!

49. HeavySig says:

G Money,

“Hustle” is his middle name!

His full name is actually False Hustle Dichotomy, but he doesn’t like to be known by a False name.

50. barry.moore23 says:

Wait – I hustle in my adult league games but have no skill Am I wasting my efforts ??

Ha. B

51. bendelson says:

HeavySig: His full name is actually False Hustle Dichotomy

His friends call him Charlie.

barry.moore23: I hustle in my adult league games but have no skill Am I wasting my efforts ??

That depends on your compete level.

52. HeavySig says:

bendelson: His friends call him Charlie.

So Chuck Dich for 2nd line center it is, you can write it in ink.

53. G Money says:

HeavySig,

Wait a second …

Is “Hustle” his middle name, or is “”Hustle”” his middle name?? It makes a difference you know, just ask “Steve Smith”!

54. Lois Lowe says:

Willis’ latest at CoH is a definitive smackdown of Van Diest. The Cam Abney bit was pure gold.

55. Braden88 says:

Lois Lowe:

that was a good read. and a good listen this morning on the way to work.

this is my favorite part

“I said this before on another radio show: I don’t even know how they come up with these stats. Who’s sitting down and figuring out Corsi? Is there someone actually watching every game and marking down every time there’s a dump-in or an opportunity or a blocked shot? Who’s out there watching these stats guys? Are these legitimate stats, or are they just trying to mold them into saying what they want to say?”

umm…….yes they actually do. Such a long winded and passionate rant and he doesn’t even know how stats work.

Hey i just invented a stat, their called ” x27z’s”. It rates hockey talent on a scale of 1-10. do I watch hockey?….. whats hockey?

56. jp says:

Glad we have both of them.

Agreed on the offense, and can clearly play D. I think Marincin will be the better defenseman when all is said and done. Part of that is the injury worry with Klefbom, but mostly it’s Marincin’s range of skills.

I have a hard time understanding how someone could not see Marincin’s value (appears to be a top 4 D right now), but MacT’s lack of verbal on him is concerning. We have both of them now. It sure would be a shame to see someone else get the best of Marincin.

Lowetide: I am willing to give dichotomy a shot at 2C.

New nickname for Arcobello? If he wins the day.

57. jp says:

hunter1909: You’re not being fair, despite the mealy mouthed proclamation to your stat loving friends.

Wow. Veiled in that negative sounding comment is a lot of hope. Predicting an upper non-playoff finish short term and a 50:50 chance at a cup longer term. Not many Dellowists are expecting more, given the current team or the realities of the NHL these days.

I don’t know where the doom and gloom is in all that. Intentional or not Hunter, that’s some real legitimate optimism.