RE 14-15 TODD NELSON: HEJIRA

The truth is Todd Nelson is pretty damn important to the future of this hockey club. At some point one would expect Nelson to be coaching an NHL team of his own—maybe this one—but for now he’s the man in charge of delivering the 6′s and 7′s and 9′s. Nelson’s obvious skill: developing defensemen. The organization needs as many as he can send, and then a few more, please and thanks.

1. Okay, let’s do this. You start talking, I’ll start shoveling. What? I don’t understand.
  2. The AHL team hasn’t delivered jack doodley! That’s simply untrue.
  3. Okay, name the men who played AHL games in OKC and then went on to show something, anything, in the NHL. The 2010-11 team produced Jeff Petry (236 games), Colin McDonald (122 games), Linus Omark (79 games), Teemu Hartikainen (52 games), Chris VandeVelde (46 games) and Mark Arcobello (42 games). That’s a nice pipeline forming from 2010 through to today, and more have arrived since.
  4. With the exception of Petry, these guys are role players at best! Ladies and gentlemen, the AHL.
  5. And it isn’t very many, anyway. He’s been there four years, that’s like one guy a year. Seriously? Since the 2011-12 season, Nelson has helped develop Justin Schultz, Magnus Paajarvi, Anton Lander, Martin Marincin, Tyler Pitlick, Taylor Fedun and Brad Hunt, among others.
  6. Schultz was there because of the lockout, why don’t you throw Gordie Howe in there while you’re at it! I think Nelson deserves credit for putting Schultz in a position to succeed, suspect the young blue could have used a few more months of instruction. Certainly Martin Marincin—his AHL partner in 2012-13—benefited from Nelson’s mentoring.
  7. You always gotta put a cherry on top of everything don’t you? I think Todd Nelson is doing a helluva job, so does the organization. I have NO idea why you felt this was going to be a negative discussion.
  8. He’s been terrible at developing skill forwards. Skill forwards? The NHL team has Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle, David Perron, Nail Yakupov and Teddy Purcell. How in Christ is he going to develop an AHL player to pass those guys. You need a coffee.
  9. Nonsense. The club has given him numerous first-round picks! ALL failed. The only Edmonton first-round forward to spend much time at all with Nelson is Magnus Paajarvi. Nelson didn’t use him on the PP (2 of MPS’ 11 AHL goals came on the power play) as much as you’d think, preferring instead to use him in the ideal two-way role.
  10. And he RUINED him! Look, we have to establish something here. Paajarvi has some scoring issues, Anton Lander too and I suspect the same to be true with Mark Arcobello. That’s what the AHL is, a league for guys who need to hone their skills and iron the mistakes out of their play. That’s the deal. Taylor Hall isn’t the goal here, it’s Fernando Pisani or Jason Chimera.
  11. So, the Oilers should be happy he turned Paajarvi into a checker? Paajarvi has played 218 NHL games, and has scored 32 goals. That’s 12 NHL goals per 82 games played, all of those games played for coaching staffs that did not include Todd Nelson. I think we have Magnus surrounded as a player. He’s going to be a good one, would love to have him on my team, but he’s not going to play on a skill line. I think he can score 15 goals a year, at evens, which would and will make him an extremely valuable hockey player.
  12. Fernando Pisani? Amen.
  13. What about all of the failed second-round picks? Huh? There’s 10 of them! No, there isn’t. Anton Lander has earned his NHL shot this fall after a wonky entry level career that saw him play 92 NHL games and I think Nelson helped him in a big way. Lander was playing his best hockey in the spring.
  14. What about the 2010 trio of crap? I assume you’re referring to Tyler Pitlick, Martin Marincin and Curtis Hamilton.
  15. AND that useless Martindale. Well, he was a third round pick, but let’s discuss them anyway. Pitlick arrived in the NHL right at the end of his entry level deal, and has a chance to grab a big league job this fall. I don’t think that’s a terrible result, especially considering the injury troubles encountered during his first three pro seasons.
  16. And? Marincin spent time in the AHL, improved areas he needed to work on, and has a very good shot at an NHL career.
  17. Hamilton? I was surprised they signed him again, but Hamilton did have a brief period there in Jan-Feb where he showed flashes. I think Edmonton wants to give him one more chance to show that offense they saw in junior. Injuries have really impacted his career in a big way.
  18. Martindale? MacT cashed him for Pinizzotto, who may play in the NHL this coming season.
  19. Nelson is better with defensemen. More talent available too, remember. Edmonton spent a lot of picks on defensemen. Petry didn’t take long to arrive, but Marincin looked locked and loaded and Klefbom showed well after a rocky start in the NHL. Hunt, Davidson, Gernat, Musil, there’s a nice group working in OKC and the club should get useful players or bargaining chips for trade from that group.
  20. So you’re completely happy with Nelson? MacT mentioned prospects getting more playing time right off the hop, so that may impact Moroz and Khaira, etc. I think Nelson is fine. He’s developing talent at a nice clip, and the calm feet shown by the young blue is a big damn deal.
  21. Who are the best players he’s helped to develop? Petry, Marincin and Klefbom so far, but there’s a nice group working toward the NHL and some nice forwards coming in. It’s an exciting time for OKC Barons and Edmonton Oilers fans. There’s good things happening down on the farm.
  22. Why this song? It’s about travel, it’s kind of bold in style and matter of fact in lyric. Forthright, and the music is lush and moving. I like it for the farm team because it’s constantly in motion. I also like that line about I see myself in everyone, suspect a coach is motivated by many things, including helping these young players get as far as they can go in the game.

OILERS FARMHANDS IN EDMONTON 2013-14

9. Anton Lander 27GP, 0-1-1
  10. Roman Horak 2GP, 1-0-1
  11. Brad Hunt 3GP, 0-1-1
  12. Ryan Hamilton 2GP, 0-0-0
  13. Linus Omark 1GP, 0-0-0
  14. Richard Bachman 3GP, 3.02 .916

34 Responses to "RE 14-15 TODD NELSON: HEJIRA"

This is a big deal.

When the Oilers hired Eakins, the word was Nelson (correctly) went ballistic due to not getting an interview.

Hiring a AHL coach without interviewing your own (who actually had a better record) is a no-no.

Yet another rookie mistake by MacT.

Its all rectified now though.

Nelson is saying the right things,seems happy and signed a 3 year contract.

MacT has him buying in on developing players as his #1 priority, and not wins.

That’s a big deal because AHL coaches are trying to become NHL coaches and their record is a major evaluation tool.

Getting a AHL coach to eschew their record for the good of the NHL club is pretty damn important.

I’m glad MacT seems to be a quick study and isn’t repeating some of his rookie mistakes.

2. blainer says:

The real test for Nelson begins this year.. he will be getting some real good prospects in Kaira and Yak2. Our D is real deep and I expect this team to do well despite their youth. I suspect Arco will make the Big team but its hard to project a good RE based on his PP time.

It’ll be interesting to see where he slots Khaira. Sussing out Jujhar’s offense in the WHL was a serpentine process.

4. Mr DeBakey says:

On the topic of winning vs Developing.
    When Nelson was first brought on wining was fairly important .
    Remember the season when all of Rexall Sports’ teams [Junior, Minor Pro and a team in the NHL] were at the bottom of their respective leagues.

And winning should still be a goal of the AHL team with
    enough decent veterans on hand to surround the prospects & suspects.

5. oliveoilers says:

Woodguy:
    This is a big deal.

Yet another rookie mistake by MacT.

Its all rectified now though.

Nelson is saying the right things,seems happy and signed a 3 year contract.

MacT has him buying in on developing players as his #1 priority, and not wins.

Source?

6. blainer says:

Agreed. As we already have the skilled players up front and now with the addition of Draisaitl we need those players with size to fill out the roster. I am hoping that Khaira will be out Dwight King only at the center position. I see him or Yak2 taking Gordon’s spot as early as sometime during the 2016 season. One of those two may end up on the wing.

7. supernova says:

Woodguy:
    This is a big deal.

Yet another rookie mistake by MacT.

Its all rectified now though.

Nelson is saying the right things,seems happy and signed a 3 year contract.

MacT has him buying in on developing players as his #1 priority, and not wins.

Ballistic… I would have been as well if I was Nelson.

I think one of Nelson’s issues was getting the necessary attention for a couple of factors.

OKC had a better record than the Marlies but no prospect of the caliber and attention that Eakins had with the Marlies. No Kadri forward type has hit OKC

The amount of media in each market

There interview style with media Eakins comes off bolder or more arrogant . Nelson more as the likeable guy or perhaps what MSM is used to seeing from NHL Assistants.

The directive from above has changed under MacT and that will help Nelson’s development image. If he can send more players to the NHL that contribute in more than just spot duty, NHL management will take notice.

The Marincins, Pitlicks, and Klefboms and even Arcobello’s are tied to Nelson’s success. The better they do the better he does. Aside from Petry he hasn’t had a player sieze a higher minute role for a long period.

I wasn’t sure of Nelson until his directive changed from MacT. I am now a supporter of his and think his contract is a huge key for the Oilers. If they can keep him there for this season and next the dividends could be massive.

8. blainer says:

oliveoilers,

I don’t have the source but I also remember it was important to get wins at the lower levels back then.. I assume we wanted the prospects to have a winning attitude when they got called up to the mess the oilers were then and still are now. I did agree with that mindset then but have since changed on that and agree we need to give our prospects the ice time to develop properly. Win or lose.

oliveoilers: Source?

For which part?

Its all in the public record except Nelson being really pissed.

10. sliderule says:

It wouldn’t surprise me if Nelson is our coach in waiting.

Expected arrival time dec15 2014.

Mr DeBakey:
    On the topic of winning vs Developing.
    When Nelson was first brought on wining was fairly important .
    Remember the season when all of Rexall Sports’ teams [Junior, Minor Pro and a team in the NHL]were at the bottom of their respective leagues.

And winning should still be a goal of the AHL team with
    enough decent veterans on hand to surround the prospects & suspects.

I think there has to be a balance.

Oiler prospects playing 13 min a night and AHL vets playing 20 min a night does nothing for development, but does for wins.

You need your vets so balance the line up and fill holes, but winning the championship needs to be the byproduct of having good prospects, not good AHL vets in all the key spots.

Now that there are some actual NHL prospects coming to bolster the forward ranks it should be easier for Nelson to give them the ice time.

I could understand him looking at some of players (like Martindale) and just not wanting to play them.

I think the MacT verbal about playing time applies to the new hires like Khaira and Yakimov. I remember Nelson talking about Pitlick and Hamilton getting 8 minutes a night when they were AHL rookies. THAT’S what MacT wants to see changing imo.

Exactly

Thanks for adding clarity to that.

14. Lois Lowe says:

I am not as high on Nelson as most others, and I tend to agree much of what LT’s alter-ego has to say. Nelson’s first couple iterations of OKC teams were deep with AHL vets and journeymen; they are the type of players that can make an AHL team very successful.

The lockout year, when Nelson had the wunderkinds plus Schultz and MPS, the team was struggling to play .500 hockey. They scored lots, but were not tearing up the league. They were better in the last half of that season, but again, the goal then was AHL success and they squeaked into the playoffs and went on a run.

Last season was the first where development was the order of the day. It’s the only one where I can accept qualifying for the playoffs in 8th as a qualified ‘success’.

As far as the bit about Nelson going ballistic about the Eakins hiring…the former had been rather emphatic not wanting to be an assistant/associate coach in the NHL. Why would MacT have interviewed him for what was supposed to be an associate position? People talk about Eakins’ arrogance, but how arrogant do you have to be to get butthurt about losing out on a job that wasn’t really on table?

15. thejonrmcleod says:

Woodguy,

Do you have a source for the part about Nelson being pissed?

thejonrmcleod:
    Woodguy,

Do you have a source for the part about Nelson being pissed?

Not a public source, but yes.

17. nycoil says:

Just got back home from two weeks in BC so a couple of thoughts.

Agree somewhat with Lois that the Eakins hiring came as MacT was looking for an assistant coach when he suddenly changed his tune in order to get his guy. Nelson could have interviewed for the assistant job and made MacT think as well. The only person who should be pissed is Krueger. And I really feel bad for that man and how he was treated.

That leads me to the MacT post from a couple of days ago. He definitely isn’t as smart as most people are giving him credit for. The hurdle was set low by his predecessor that he looks like a comparative genius. Yet I see no evidence he is smarter than half the GMs in this league.

We’re talking about the hole at C the way we were about the holes on D when Tambellini signed Barker. It is so damn obvious.

Also- please stop with the Smid trade revisionism (i.e., that it may have been a good trade because Smid was declining). Trading him away wasn’t the issue as much as the return. We have evidence from the media other GMs out east would have paid more to get him as his perceived value around the league was much higher than the magic beans we got instead.

18. Deadman Waiting says:

I’m still in a larger loop, responding in fragments to Staple’s recent post on Cult. Since I’m posting in a constructive construction zone, I’ll content myself with a smaller vignette.

———

A long while back, my brother purchased a house of pre-war construction. It was nice enough—hillside fringe of a Garry oak ecosystem—but the knob and tube wiring left something to be desired: such as any room in the house (other than the kitchen) with more than single light fixture and a single wall outlet (none of which had a proper electrical ground). The breaker box had been updated for the main appliances, but most of the circuits hadn’t.

The unfinished basement ranged from 6′ to 6’6″ so there were places I could stand erect and many where I couldn’t. There was a single bare light bulb on the high side with the washing machine, drier, hot water tank, and furnace. The low side (reached by ducking between metal posts supporting the main girder) had closets, a large wine storage area, and the stairway up—but no light bulb. The girder alone blocked most of the light from the high side. So along with running a proper circuit to the dining room, which had been turned into a small office for two computer desks, we desired the luxury of a second light fixture in the basement.

My father took on the basement wiring project. Nothing my father built ever fell down—not if it survived the construction project itself. He was a world-class snugger. “Just one more—snap—oh, sugar! we heard from the basement. “Hahaha, the snugger strikes again!” we laughed our asses off. “What did he get this time?” I’m sure with the first screw alone, he had the porcelain light fixture snug enough to secure a rappelling rope.

This was often how I felt about Tyler Dellow. He’s brilliant, up the last snug (or five) which constitutes his summation. It’s in the lawyerly code never to leave a nickel for the next guy. They have to snug just one more word past their natural due. This is why the sliding desk in Brazil is so damn funny: it’s like Tom Hanks in Big had a twin brother, and both of them get jobs apprenticing in a law firm on opposite sides of the same wall.

On days when Tyler is feeling magnanimous, maybe it’s only one extra turn—or just an extra half turn; when he’s feeling surly, it’s an extra three to five hard cranks just for good measure—mind your toes.

Nothing Tyler builds ever falls down, although some of his decorative panels have been known to buckle a time or two.

19. Ryan says:

Lois Lowe,

That’s a fair critique in terms of the locked and loaded team he managed during the lockout. :). The rest of the league also had their ringers. I think his mandate was more honing the 1pp unit.

I also think it’s fairly myopic to look at a splendid player like Marincin and give him too much credit. I guess that’s one area where I differ from the consensus here. I’m more inclined to put the responsibility onto a player themselves as to whether or not they ultimately succeed. Let’s say 95% on the player and 5% on development. The exception for me would be in scenarios where a player is left in a situation where they a drowning for prolonged periods in their development.

I guess we’ll see with Samwise. :). If Tippett can make strides towards improving his defensive game, then maybe a leopard really can change its spots. If he can turn Gagner into a Selke trophy nominee, I’ll eat my shorts. :)

Nelson clearly has his sight set on seeking NHL head coaching employment. I wouldn’t be surprised if he sees potential opportunity as mentioned here for December.

sliderule:
    It wouldn’t surprise me if Nelson is our coach in waiting.

Expected arrival time dec15 2014.

Shaggy mode ON:

It wasn’t me.

More likely Ramsey though. It is why Ramsey took the job, IMHO.

Woodguy:
    This is a big deal.

MacT has him buying in on developing players as his #1 priority, and not wins.

This is MacT blowing smoke up the media’s ass. Nelson played rookies and prospects. Omark and Hartikainen were North American rookies in his first year in OKC, and he played the hell out of them. The next year he got Paajarvi and Lander from the NHL and those four got tons of playing time, and blocked Hamilton’s playing time, but not Pitlick’s. Pitlick’s playing time was only impacted by injury. Martindale just sucked and was outplayed by a hustling ECHL player name Mark Arcobello.

22. Numenius says:

Woodguy: thejonrmcleod:
    Woodguy,

Do you have a source for the part about Nelson being pissed?

——-
    Not a public source, but yes.

There was a public video. I watched it. Not sure where the video is right now, but it’s probably somewhere in the OilersTV archives.

Nelson said that he was extremely disappointed not to be interviewed by the Oilers, but he clarified that he was not therefore bitter about it.

Extremely disappointed but not bitter. This clarification instantly elevated my opinion of him and his coaching. Exactly what the Oilers needed to learn in the face of adversity last year, with mixed results.

23. book¡je says:

Woodguy:
    This is a big deal.

Yet another rookie mistake by MacT.

Its all rectified now though.

Nelson is saying the right things,seems happy and signed a 3 year contract.

MacT has him buying in on developing players as his #1 priority, and not wins.

I bet they had to use a big truck to carry all of the Katz Cash to his house.

24. Bruce McCurdy says:

If Eakins does get the can tied to him, it seems highly improbable the Oilers would hire a third consecutive coach with Zero NHL head coaching experience. About as unlikely as the same team getting three straight first overall picks.

What’s that you say? Here Come The Oilers?

Todd Nelson’s rookie forwards have a better draft pedigree this season

26. book¡je says:

Lois Lowe:

book¡je: Lois, LT will never tell you this, but he modeled the RE series interviewer after you.

28. supernova says:

Todd Nelson’s rookie forwards have a better draft pedigree this season

Good article.

I for one will be dissappointed if Moroz doesn’t best Pitlick’s rookie season.

Extra junior year combined with more emphasis on younger players.

Earn it Mitch, Earn it!

The table is set for you.

29. Big Dan says:

nycoil:
    Just got back home from two weeks in BC so a couple of thoughts.

Just because some GM in the East made a comment about Smid doesn’t make it true. You want to speculate MacT could have got more for Smid? I could speculate that he was shopping Smid around all summer to no avail. When Feaster bit, MacT jumped on it because he know Smid was an overpriced declining asset. You really think the FLAMES would be MacT’s first place to turn to?!

After Tambellini did not do anything for a year and missed out on Bishop at the deadline, he then signed Smid. Coincidence he was fired right after?

MacT has spent so much time cleaning up times when the Oilers have resigned guys they have developed to bloated prices (Smid, Horcoff, Hemsky, Dubnyk + even his own mistake Gagner). He’s not going to do the same for Petry. If Jeff has a good season and Schultz does not, he’ll offer Petry $4M-ish that he is worth. If Petry wants to break the bank, let some other team get saddled with that contract while MacT inserts Klefbom in that spot and cashes in a pretty draft pick.

MacT took a blowtorch to this team over a year & a half. When I see a comparison of the 2014-15 roster to what he started with in April 2013, I can confidently argue that MacT has done a darned good job. What he accomplished, after some initial mistakes, was not easy.

- Purcell > Gagner
    - Perron > Paajarvi
    - Pouliot > Smyth
    - Hendricks > Belanger
    - Gazdic > Hordichuk
    - Gordon = Horcoff (who asked for a trade)
    - Joensuu < Hemsky (who was a pending UFA)
    - 3 spots (for Arcobello, Lander, Draisaitl) = Eager, Petrell, Jones… just to get rid of dead weight

- Nikitin > Whitney
    - Fayne > Schultz
    - Ference = Smid
    - Aulie = Fistric
    - 2 spots (for Marincin and Klefbom) = Potter, Peckham… just to get rid of dead weight

- Scrivens > Dubnyk
    - Fasth > Khabibulin

He also has the rights to Horak and Larsen, who showed glimpses of NHL potential (or useful trade bait) down the road. I like the unheralded Andrew Miller and Brad Hunt pickups too.

30. bassguy says:

How great is this, a beautiful synopsis and a great POV LT!….this was the first song i had ever heard Jaco playing the bass,,a special song to me because of that!..did you notice that there are two bass tracks?..one more of a solo like approach

31. book¡je says:

Lowetide: Not true! Well, kind of true. It’s a single voice that represents the group as a whole who read the blog. Not the personality, that’s my friend Gord, but the objections come from blog posts.

See, I told you he wouldn’t tell you.

32. Bruce McCurdy says:

Serious Gord?

Bruce McCurdy: Serious Gord?

No, a buddy of mine.