ROLL OVER BEETHOVEN

The hockey news is finally starting to roll, after a summer that had explosions in June and early July and then fell into a deep slumber. For Edmonton Oilers fans, the last 24 hours have been full of interesting items, and let’s get to them.

• Craig MacTavish discussing Leon Draisaitl: “In my mind, Leon’s going to make a very strong case in camp for making our team. I’d be shocked if he doesn’t a strong case. If this decision is easy, he’s staying (rather than go back to junior in Prince Albert). But like I said, I’d be shocked if he doesn’t make a strong case. He’s stayed here this summer, worked out, but we’ll have to make sure we can protect him in games in some match-ups.” Source

I have Draisaitl making the team and scoring about .5 points-per-game in the RE series, and that falls in line with the quote above. In our look at Leon this summer, it’s fairly obvious the numbers suggest he is a strong candidate for immediate employment in the NHL. The Oilers have fallen hard for him, and while I love the boxcars, it’s still unwise to leave the train station with the current depth chart. Leon Draisaitl isn’t going to fold like a cheap suit, or it’s unlikely, but an injury to Nuge or Gordon could send this team into the elevator shaft. Or worse, cause Eakins-MacT to return to their favorite lost cause, the winger-to-center experiment. Sweet Jesus, I can see it from a mile away. Book it.

• Philippe Boucher on Marco Roy’s status with the Quebec Remparts:  “Roy and Burke soon participate in pro camps and, if they remain there (AHL), we will not have a decision to make.” Source

The quote comes from the Remparts having four 20-year old kids (too many) who can play junior this coming season. This is the first time it’s been mentioned anywhere I’ve seen, and it’s doubtful (imo) Roy makes the jump. Edmonton certainly has room on the 50-man list, but it’s unlike the Oilers to leave this kind of signing to training camp. Roy has performed in two games, grabbing an assists and going 20 for 40 in the faceoff circle. Source.

• Keven Bouchard’s boxcars are behind tiny Etienne Monpetit in pre-season. Source

Bouchard’s numbers are close to his 2013-14 season (his SP is .889 in 90 minutes), but this Monpetit (who IS petit, at 5.10, 147) has the early lead and you never know with goaltenders. Something to follow.

• Jackson Houck is getting playing time with phenom Tyler Benson early in training camp. Source

The big story there is the Vancouver Giants have a new coach, Troy Ward. That’s probably good for Houck, a young man who has put himself in a position for a pro contract. He scored 9 power-play goals among his total of 34 last season, he’ll need plenty of playing time at EVs and PP to post a better number this year.

• Ben Betker and his Everett Silvertips won their pre-season opener. Source

Betker rang a shot off the post in the opener, and he’ll once again be a fun player to follow this season. Betker had a good year in 2013-14, and will need another one. The 2013 draft was a load, and Edmonton is unlikely to sign all of these kids. Betker seems to be on track for a contract.

• Greg Chase scored two goals in the pre-season opener for the Hitmen. Source

Of course he did! This is a fine prospect, and if the new Calgary coach gives him full lash on the power play then Greg Chase could pop 40 (he had 35 last season, 10 on the power play). We’ll get a good look at this young man in TC, suspect a pro contract arrives for Chase before Roy, Houck, Betker and the rest get a tap on the back.

43 Responses to "ROLL OVER BEETHOVEN"

1. Mr DeBakey says:

Weirdest feeling this morning
    I’m reading HHOF Matty’s story about the Schultz signing and he [Matty] references Schultz’ Corsi percentage last year.
    I felt like this:

There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man’s fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone….

2. supernova says:

Few things that interested me.

Oilers signed Houle to coach the ECHL team.

Houle coached Roy for 3 years. Houle says the injury bothered Roy a lot. Houle loves to play puck possession and has had perhaps the smallest team in the Q the last 3 years. His assistant coach was also his GM, and President and part owner, must have made for an interesting dynamic.

———

Houck playing with Benson maybe akin to Drai playing with Purcell and Perron. Veteran winger to show the ropes to the highly touted rookie.

Benson has really high hopes. First player I heard people in the “seen him good” crowd pushing for a WHL player to go for exceptional status.

————-

Go Chase Go.

I am thinking going in the 7th round lit a fire so hot that it will sit with him for along time.

Aaron Rodgers sat in the Green Room on National TV, supposed to go Neck and Neck for 1st overall, sat there for hours with cameras around until the last part of the first round.

He has won a MVP a Super Bowl replaced a Legend at QB. The thing that keeps him working that extra bit is that feeling of sitting and waiting with millions of eyes on him after supposed to be going higher.

3. supernova says:

I missed commenting on the Schultz contract.

Well I don’t love the contract, I really don’t think it is horrible.

Did a capgeek comparable contract search. Of the 20 most similar contracts there was maybe 4 guys that I would trade Schultz straight across for.

One of them was John Carlson who in my opinion has perhaps one of the best contracts in the league.

Did the same search for 3.25 million

There was even less players I would trade one for one for.

could they have ground Schultz for say $500k less? maybe, but really why?

It is clear that his agents wanted essentially the same as his first 2 years.

If we had signed him when he was a free agent to 3 years and not 2 years. I am sure not a single person would have bitched about it.

Yes it was base plus bonus but on a point getting D man on a team with no good back up option, isn’t he likely to get these bonus?

Maybe Speeds can answer that.

4. John Chambers says:

supernova,

Y’know, based on all the losing we have collectively begun to undervalue our own players and fawn over others.

Was in the US this past week and talking to my buddy who lives in DC and is a Caps fan, I was surprised to hear how elated he was about the Niskanen and Orpik signings, saying that Carlson has been playing too difficult minutes for his abilities. Of course, every Oiler fan would be orgasmic if we exchanged our young defensive phenom for theirs, however you have to wonder how many of Schultz’s struggles result from the same, albeit graver challenge of being asked to anchor the team’s blue without the requisite experience and support.

Schultz has a magnificent pedigree. At times last year, right in the eye of the storm, many of us (myself included) felt that by simply subtracting him the team would be superior. But the man was a second round draft choice who had an extended stay in college, was absolutely dominant in the A, and his main fault is struggling through parts of the beginning of his pro career which started in the deepest end of the pool.

If the contract was what was needed to placate Schultz without undertaking severe risk, like the Gardiner contract, then I’m perfectly happy with it. Chances are Schultz sees much greater success this coming season given a variety of factors, and in time we forget all about the angst of the ’13-’14 season, grateful for his talents.

5. gr8one says:

supernova,

I don’t think it’s necessarily that people are upset about the dollar amount per se, it’s that the Oilers didn’t get any term to go with it.

It’s just such poor roster management that if he has breakout season next year he will have ALL the leverage, and even if he treads water then we’ll just be in the same boat next year except he’ll have the UFA card up his sleeve.

One year just makes no sense, same goes for Petry. Another downside for both Petry/Schultz contracts is how in the event that the team were to decide to put them on the trade block pending UFA’s lose so much of their value it’s just insane.

gr8one:
    supernova,

I’m thrilled with the length of the deal. Thrilled.

7. supernova says:

John Chambers,

I agree with everything you said.

I wasn’t suggesting that Carlson is all world, just that his contract mixed with his potential and actual are fantastic.

I have actually been in DC, loved that city by the way.

Was blessed to get a special ticket and chatting with Caps fans at the arena. They love them some Ovi. I asked about Carlson, most of them where indifferent about him, or weren’t big fans.

That conversation in DC reminds me of what I have been hearing or seeing in regards to Schultz.

You don’t realize what you have until it’s gone,

For me I would be extremely patient with Schultz. Even if he doesn’t hit it out of the park this year.

Also I am hoping that Caps Management feels the same way about Carlson as the fans I spoke to.

I would trade for Carlson in a heartbeat,

Petry for Carlson …

8. gr8one says:

Explain why? I’m having a hard time seeing a positive to one year?(Aside from it saving us from a long term overpay)

9. oliveoilers says:

All this lamb basting made me hungry and sentimental for home, so I’m taking a lamb roast from the freezer. Roast lamb rubbed with salt, rosemary and garlic with mint sauce, potatoes roasted in duck fat, roast beets, roast carrots, leeks in cheese sauce, Yorkshire puds and red wine au jus gravy. For starters, a white stilton soup and for dessert, farmhouse apple pie with English custard. Cheese board to follow with brandy and cigars in the drawing room at 10pm. Who’s in?

Oh, and back on topic. I think JSchultz may have screwed himself. Given himself a year to poop or get off the potty. Somewhere Horcs is giggling his nut-sack off. He knows all about overpay and expectations and HE went to Lord Stanley’s cup final! Should’ve been two years for breathing room.

10. gr8one says:

oliveoilers,

When. Where?

11. supernova says:

gr8one:
    supernova,

gr8one,

I think most people are unhappy with the dollar at that term.

Again expectations.

People seemed to expect 2 years at 3.5 per. Or somewhere around that.

People expected Petry locked up for 4 or 5 years.

Petry has talked on the air. Everything I hear says he doesn’t want to be hear unless the team vastly improves and he has a big part of it. He sees himself differently than management sees him.

I don’t think Petry would have signed for a mutli years unless it was an obscene number. In a sense a long term deal just wasn’t there.

I would have liked another year but Petry is smart. He is playing the business of hockey, All the power to him.

Schultz would sign longer but none of us probably want to know what it would cost right now. He thinks he has more than Gardiner. So it’s a Gardiner ++++ contract. The question is what is the +++ and why sign it when we don’t know if he will come close.

Wouldn’t be surprised if that ask for a long term was 50% more than on top of what Gardiner got.

Again Schultz knows the business of hockey that’s how we got him. To say we had lots of bargaining power is not exactly accurate. He already has refused to sign and been a free agent years before other players are. What team is going to trade a good asset for a player who is a 2X contract hassle.

Once again all The power to him.

gr8one:

I think the dollar amount, which is clearly too much for what was delivered but about what you might expect (no raise, but he gets same as last year more or less) in real terms, clouds the bigger issue.

Craig MacTavish purchased no free agent seasons at $5-6 million a year. That’s a good thing in my opinion, and dwarfs the minutiae.

13. gr8one says:

All valid, and I agree, I guess, like supernova just said re: expectations may be true in regards to my hopes that a happy medium could have been found with both contracts and perhaps that hope was too unrealistic in my mind.

I definitely prefer one year over a massive overpay and/or lengthy term that completely handcuffs the team going forward.

14. frjohnk says:

Put Petry and Fayne together to play the tough minutes and a ballpark OZ start of about 40%.

Put Schultz against weaker opposition and a OZ start of about 55% to 60%, 1st line PP.

Shattenkirk, Yandle and even PK Subban in the lockout year are guys who have been put into these positions and done very well. None of these guys are great defensively, just like Schultz, but have elite offensive skill, just like Schultz. But those other players have played on teams that have had depth on the blue to play the tough minutes so those guys have not had to. Schultz was unfortunately put into a position where the team did not play to his strengths.

I think the oilers now have the players ( Fayne and Petry,) to help put Schultz in a postion to play to his strengths.

Schultz could have a breakout year…., emphasis on could or at least a year in which the 3.6 Million is a fair deal for both parties.

On another note, everybody likes Chase and sees him as playing this coming year with the hitman. I have wondered if he could actually push for a spot, which could put one of the top 9 wingers as trade bait for that 2nd line C we want/need. There are a few teams ( PHI, NYI, CLB) with extra centers that may like one of our wingers. Unfortunately that winger is most likely Yak or Perron.

15. Wolfie says:

gr8one,

supernova,

I agree with Supernova on this one. Not everyone is going to like every move MacT makes. There are so many unknowns to us in how these things are negotiated. GMs nowadays don’t seem to have much bargaining power.

Take the Subban negotiation. Sure the Habs got him cheap short term on the last deal. For their troubles they got hammered on his current contract. Quite honestly most teams in the league would still trade for him despite the huge price tag. He is a superstar and is paid like one.

Schultz and Petry arrived in very different fashions and with very different expectations. Schultz could potentially put up monster offensive numbers. If he does he will get paid and the Oilers will be happy to pay him. Petry is the better all-around defender but doesn’t have the ceiling Schultz does. When MacT talks about Scultz being a Norris trophy candidate I know it’s hard to see from here but he reminds me so much of Niedermayer. If Schultz does round out his game he could very well be in the Norris conversation because of his ability on offence.

The other thing to consider is the cap. The NHL landscape has changed dramatically since the cap was implemented. Less and less teams are spending to the cap. With the big TV money and rumoured expansion the cap is going to continue to climb.

The Oilers were obviously not willing to give a Hall type contract to Schultz. Around the league RFAs are foregoing the “Hall” type contract in exchange for shorter deals in order to hit the homerun like Subban.

Teams are in a tough spot. If the RFA fails to live up to expectations their bloated contracts become a hindrance aka Gagner. If they explode teams are caught paying full value over a long term aka Subban.

Schultz could go either way. Quite frankly the Oilers were so bad that his deficiencies were magnified. Imagine Schultz playing in Boston, Chicago or LA surrounded by experience and depth. His corsi would be very different and he’d most likely be making Norris noise.

16. Hammers says:

Did they overpay Schultz? yea a little based on last year but its so so obvious McT wants both Schultz & Leon to play and Eakins will protect Leon . The biggest question for me is who plays with them both .Personally I want Marincin not Ference with Justin and as much as I said a great 3rd line would be Gordon / Pouliot & Purcell it just won’t happen . There is no way Perron & Yak both play with him as he needs 1 of Purcell or Pouliot and the other can be Yak . Don’t care which wing .The number 1 mistake on the juniors is not signing Chase .If he pots 50 goals this season the price will go way up , 7th round pick or not . One last thing on McT and management is who do they really think is in that core group. I think both Nurse & Leon have joined Hall , RNH , Ebs & Schultz . The next closest to that list is Klefbom .Interesting to see your 15 protected players LT but my guess is before any new teams come in we will see a bunch of trades amongst the existing 30 teams .

17. Hammers says:

Lowetide: Schultz can be traded before the big contract, but if they go deep and massive he’ll be around a long time. Steve Tambellini’s long term deals with the kids were splendid, and MacT (correctly) put the breaks on with both Justin Schultz and Nail Yakupov.

Actually Ebs at $6 mill was / is an overpay . For me at the point Tambo did those deals Hall was perhaps the only 6 million $ man .Time will probably say I’m wrong .

18. supernova says:

Wolfie:
    gr8one,

supernova,

I agree with Supernova on this one.Not everyone is going to like every move MacT makes.There are so many unknowns to us in how these things are negotiated.GMs nowadays don’t seem to have much bargaining power.

Take the Subban negotiation.Sure the Habs got him cheap short term on the last deal.For their troubles they got hammered on his current contract.Quite honestly most teams in the league would still trade for him despite the huge price tag.He is a superstar and is paid like one.

Schultz and Petry arrived in very different fashions and with very different expectations.Schultz could potentially put up monster offensive numbers.If he does he will get paid and the Oilers will be happy to pay him.Petry is the better all-around defender but doesn’t have the ceiling Schultz does.When MacT talks about Scultz being a Norris trophy candidate I know it’s hard to see from here but he reminds me so much of Niedermayer.If Schultz does round out his game he could very well be in the Norris conversation because of his ability on offence.

The other thing to consider is the cap.The NHL landscape has changed dramatically since the cap was implemented.Less and less teams are spending to the cap.With the big TV money and rumoured expansion the cap is going to continue to climb.

The Oilers were obviously not willing to give a Hall type contract to Schultz.Around the league RFAs are foregoing the “Hall” type contract in exchange for shorter deals in order to hit the homerun like Subban.

Teams are in a tough spot.If the RFA fails to live up to expectations their bloated contracts become a hindrance aka Gagner.If they explode teams are caught paying full value over a long term aka Subban.

Schultz could go either way.Quite frankly the Oilers were so bad that his deficiencies were magnified. Imagine Schultz playing in Boston, Chicago or LA surrounded by experience and depth.His corsi would be very different and he’d most likely be making Norris noise.

Wolfie,

Agree.

What does Schultz get if he hits 40 points?

My suspicion Is Schultz wants Hall / Ebs money and contract. He will play it a year at a time until he either gets that or is proven he is worth more or less.

An interesting take on the Jultz contract.

The writer compares Jultz to Poti and finds similarities.

20. geowal says:

I think the one year deal is ideal, if long term modest price wasn’t available. Two would have been death. This year Schultz will likely improve, but not reach his full potential. If you can get a long term deal next summer, it is likely way more affordable then if you wait until two+ years from now.

21. Maurey says:

Lowetide, what are the odds on seeing Chase getting 9 games up with the Oilers? I’d like to see Chase and Nurse both get a 9 game taste before being sent back to junior (unless they really, really shine). Tough Zone line of Hendricks/Gordon/Chase for the 1st 9, then bring up Lander to play LW for Lander/Gordon/Hendricks.

22. Gordies Elbow says:

Woodguy,

I’m sure that, with the limited data available for a player that’s played only 122 games, there are many similarities to many different players.

Judging by the tone of the author, he was likely one of those who were happy with the return from the Poti and Rem Murray trade to New York. We received Mike York and Ivan Koltsov. From the time of the trade, Poti’s career was 539gp – 42g – 180a – 222pts – 379pim, +36, and an all-star game. York’s went 285gp – 63g – 107a – 170pts – 77pim, -18.

But, hey, Poti didn’t go into the corners, right?

“Get good players, keep good players.”

Wonder which team has a Mike York for trade?

Maurey:

I don’t think it’ll happen. The Oilers once again have two flat out rookies pushing for NHL jobs, and they have been anointed

24. Bruce McCurdy says:

Roy and Betker both might play their Draft + 2 season as overage (20-year-old) juniors. If they were signed now, my understanding (Speeds? help me out here) is their contracts wouldn’t “slide” and they would have to be considered part of the 50-man list. So better to sign them after the season is done. Oilers did similar with Brandon Davidson and that one-year delay in his major junior career and to start his ELC has worked out for the best IMO.

Chase on the other hand has a January 1 birthday which means he is considered 19 for the full season, is eligible for the World Juniors, and most importantly to the Oilers, can be signed and returned to junior without his contract counting against the 50-man list. So I am hopeful to see Chase signed relatively soon — noon today would be nice — and have the other two guys remain “players of interest” through the season and signed when it’s done. Assuming they play well enough to earn those contracts, which I am confident both Roy and Betker will do. To me Chase has already proven he’ll be worth an investment in an ELC.

25. supernova says:

Bruce McCurdy,

My understanding is the same on the slide rule because of birthdates.

Essentially if they could play in the AHL they can’t “slide” their contracts. This might be to simplified but the quickest way to think about junior players.

Chase is either junior or NHL like Nurse so he can slide.

I defer to speeds as well.

26. Gordies Elbow says:

supernova,

Yep, 9.1 (d), pg 23. “In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old Player signs an SPC with a Club but does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the first season under that SPC, the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for a period of one (1) year, except that this automatic extension will not apply to a Player who is 19 according to Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between September 16 and December 31 in the year in which he first signs an SPC. Unless a Player and Club expressly agree to the contrary, in the event a Player’s SPC is extended an additional year in accordance with this subsection, all terms of the SPC, with the exception of Signing Bonuses, but including Paragraph 1 Salary, games played bonuses and Exhibit 5 bonuses, shall be extended; provided, however, that the Player’s Paragraph 1 Salary shall be extended in all circumstances. ”

Darnell Nurse has a DOB of February 4, 1995, and signed as an 18 year old. His contract can apparently slide two years. Chase has a DOB of January 1st, 1995, which, if he signs this year, would make him a 19 year old, and eligible to slide for a season.

27. Bruce McCurdy says:

Gordies Elbow:
    supernova,

Darnell Nurse has a DOB ofFebruary 4, 1995, and signed as an 18 year old. His contract can apparently slide two years. Chase has a DOB of January 1st, 1995, which, if he signs this year, would make him a 19 year old, and eligible to slide for a season.

Thanks, that is how I had understood it but it’s good to see it spelled out in proper Legalese.

28. Pouzar says:

Hammers: Actually Ebs at $6 mill was / is an overpay .

Really? This again?

Dude has identical boxcars to Corey frickin Perry over the last 3 years.

29. Hammers says:

Pouzar: Really? This again?

Dude has identical boxcars to Corey frickin Perry over the last 3 years.

30. Bank Shot says:

Pouzar: Really? This again?

Dude has identical boxcars to Corey frickin Perry over the last 3 years.

Yeah, but Eberle is a true 50 point talent.

Eberle’s salary is a little on the high side compared to what other comparable players in his age range got on their salaries. Most of the guys getting the same pay are a little better, but Eberle was also the only one with a 70+ point season under his belt when he signed his contract.

NHL contracts work on boxcars, and Eberle had the boxcars. You can argue ES shooting percentage all you want, but that’s not how contracts work in the NHL.

The Oilers could have played hardball and gotten Eberle lower on a bridge contract, but would have ended up paying more down the road as Eberle has proven not to be a 50 point talent.

31. Pouzar says:

Hammers: So what . Still think he could have been had for $ 5 mill x 6 . I said at the time of the signing not that his not a god player as he is .A player drafted that late in the 1st round typically does not get what a #1 pick gets .Part of the problem with the Oilers these last 10 years is they always overpay . Still do .

You said “is”. As in it “it is not a good contract now” ….that’s how I read it. That’s the part I don’t agree with.
    Saying he coulda been had for $5mill X 6 is conjecture at best.

32. Zangetsu says:

I think you mispelled Cole Benson. Also he plays for the oil kings. Don’t worry all 30 nhl teams made the mistake at the draft. The phenom is in fact available.

Jk, Cole’s my buddy. I am a little worried about tyler since his scouting report reads him playing a big mans game. My guess is he hit puberty early, since his family is all fairly small (Dad’s about 5’11″). Poor cole got the shaft size wise. I’m thinking tyler will hae to reinvent himself at the next level, but he does have exceptional skill. I wish him and houck the best.

Pouzar: Really? This again?

Dude has identical boxcars to Corey frickin Perry over the last 3 years.

Word. Eberle is worth his salary. He just isn’t as big a bargain as Hall. Honestly, nuge is more questionable than eberle. Nobody brings him up. FTR I think nuge will eventually show value on that contract.

On shultz deal: i think it was a dumb move. He is the only defenseman in our system with norris potential. Nurse likely won’t have the offense for norris. Nhl defense is really hard, especially when your with dregs. I’m not saying he’s our best dman, but he has the highest cieling. I would have bit on 4×7 or something like that. I want to give him until 26-28 before really judging his defensive game. Many dmen arrive late. They also seem to arrive abruptly. Ex. Is that the same smid? I think it’s unlikely he plays 3rd pair. This is an oilers thing, not a me thing. I think it shakes out as
    Marincin fayne
    Nikitin jultz
    Ference petry
    Klef
    With ference having self destructed, but with an irrational team attachment to him.

33. Bruce McCurdy says:

Eberle has been among top 10 NHL RW in scoring the last three years in a row, just turned 24, and is signed for another 5 years.

I know! Let’s bash his contract!

34. PeOiler says:

Interesting to read today that J.F Houle was the one who contacted Josh Currie about playing with the Condors. Is this something that the Oilers would put him (Houle) up to, or just sign off on?

Currie: “It is nice to have a familiarity with J.F(Houle) from playing against his teams in junior and (him) knowing what I can do,”

35. Marc says:

Over their first two years in the league Eberle’s boxcars were better than Hall’s in every way. And he was getting paid a little more than half of what Hall was getting because he was a low first round pick and Hall was first overall.

You really think the Oilers could have signed him for less than Hall that summer? Really?

36. oliveoilers says:

Eberle’s a peacock, you gotta let him fly!

37. Jon K says:

Eberle is a top line RW, period. Getting him signed for $6mill through the prime of his career with a rapidly rising cap is one of the few victories of the Tambellini era. The Hall contract is another.

38. jp says:

Jon K: How is it an overpay? I have yet to see this argument supported by anything other than general statements such as “he’s soft” or “he’s small”.

There’s also that it’s not as good a deal as Hall’s contract. That most certainly doesn’t make it an overpay though.

I’m excited for the season.

39. spoiler says:

Bruce McCurdy: Of all the things Oilers fans have to complain about, Jordan Eberle’s contract should rank about 142,857th on the list.

Cyclic numbers on the brain today, lol?

Sure seems like every day in the ‘sphere is a day of recycled red whine. Need camp to start.

40. supernova says:

PeOiler:
    Interesting to read today that J.F Houle was the one who contacted Josh Currie about playing with the Condors.Is this something that the Oilers would put him (Houle) up to, or just sign off on?

I think Houle is a heck of a signing for Coach at the ECHL level. He will help Bob Green find some of these in betweeners but from the Q.

I think he is heir apparent to Nelson but has to prove himself in the Pro ranks first. I am guessing the Oilers had to pay him quite handsomely as it is a different route for him. He could have held on and been in talks for AHL head jobs or NHL assistant jobs. His Dad is also connected.

41. supernova says:

Zangetsu,

I think Tyler Benson will be fine size wise at the WHL level, depending how that level works it will then be of concern to reinvent himself for the next level.

Many guys have done well at the WHL level at below 6′ and 150 and 160 lbs

42. Zangetsu says:

supernova,

I don’t mean undersized, you just can’t play like a behemeth when the others catch up. He’ll be fine, i’m sure. It’s different protecting the puck when guys are your size though. You’re right nhl is the big jump. I think we will see a bit of this with draisaitl too. He isn’t as big in comparison to others in the nhl vs the whl.

43. Bruce McCurdy says:

spoiler: Cyclic numbers on the brain today, lol?

Haha, picked up on that, did you? Not much gets by you bunch.