SAIL ON, DELLOW

I should be saying “it is with mixed emotions” because I’m going to miss his blog so much, but the truth is I’m thrilled Tyler Dellow has found employment in the hockey world. He’s damn good at it, it’s his passion, and anyone who has given up so many hours in the pursuit of knowledge in such a specialized area should be acknowledged. I wondered if an NHL team would grab him before the media got him, and as it turned out that’s what happened. Tyler Dellow wasn’t given this opportunity, he earned it by asking questions and finding answers. The mind boggles at what he can discover when the NHL’s full analytics menu is available to him.

dellow

The rumored team? Oilers. Music! I honestly think that’s the secondary story here, the real item, the lead, is Dellow getting an opportunity to make a difference. Blogs like mine are going to have thousands of posts that read “Dellow is all over it here” and then the click through will be a blank page. Frack! Well, I think I speak for everyone in saying my knowledge of the game increased a great deal because of him, and for that I’m forever grateful to him.

dellow2I’m so damned happy for you Dellow I could pee. Now. A few things are going to change. You’re not going to be able to answer my dm questions, which screws me up something awful. I AM going to be screaming “DAMMIT DELLOW” every time Taylor Hall dumps the puck in and chases it and even though it’s not going to be your fault it’ll happen all the same.

Ah, man. What a beautiful day. Congratulations to one of us, the best of us, well done and overdue.

Now, about that hockey team…..

156 Responses to "SAIL ON, DELLOW"

1. Hammers says:

LT your not the only one who will miss his insight . Congradulations and hope like hell it is the Oilers

2. nqmt says:

LT, do you think this is more about Dellow’s talents or MacT’s willingness to leave no stone unturned?

3. su_dhillon says:

As an Oilers fan Im thrilled, losing the blog is tough, he had so much in depth stuff there and adding the videos I thought was a real innovation in showing how the numbers impact actual play. But he was going to be hired by someone and the blog was going to go away sometime soon , so the fact that he can bring that curious mind to the Oilers is fantastic for their future.

Interesting tweet by APortzline saying he had heard Tyler had worked with Oilers previously in part time capacity because a couple of the moves like the Pouliot one seems like one he would definitely have made a strong case for,

Its a good day for the Oilers. Congrats to Tyler, well deserved.

4. Genjutsu says:

Overdue. But man am I happy its the Oilers.

This is a great day for Edmonton.

Great day.

5. Barcs says:

Well said LT!

I am very excited for Tyler and what this means coming from the Oilers.

6. TheOtherJohn says:

Congrats indeed. If it’s the Oilers.. That Great news!! Now do for MacT what MacT did for Tambi … We’re gonna do X (say sign Clarkson or, worse, Cam Barker) and wait to see if Ty think it’s batshit crazy

Very good hire

7. book¡je says:

That’s great news – Congratulations to Dellow. I love that this internet thingy allows people to follow their passions and find routes into careers that they love.

We look forward to you fixing the Oilers.

8. Frank The Dog says:

This could be as pivotal as hiring the new assistants.

9. thejonrmcleod says:

Has it been revealed which NHL team hired Eric Tulsky?

nqmt:

11. Jordan says:

Hammers:

12. Hammers says:

Lowetide: I think it’s both. Dellow IS talented, we saw that dozens of times. The Oilers Corsi numbers a year ago were a mystery to everyone, and he took the time to figure it out. Same with Gagner/Hemsky. Even if he ends up giving good advice and they take 20% of it to heart, this is a good day. If he ends up being the guy in the room who says ‘are you sure you want to do that?’ even better.

LT you know him is he the guy who will say ” are you sure you want to do that” as sometimes that’s what it takes to get the improvements that are needed.

13. Hammers says:

Jordan: No no. I’m pretty sure LT is the ONLY one who will miss him. After all, everyone else will be too busy yelling “SHOOT!” on the powerplay and and enjoying Damien Cox’s insightful articles on charater’s impact on small sample sizes (the clutch factor).—W.R.T. that team we occasionally bring up on this wonderful music blog, one of the standing memes we’ve enjoyed over the past 5 years is “the Edmonton Oilers are a team in the National Hockey League”. At what point does that fade? Do they have to be good enough to play games and be in them without Taylor Hall? And with Taylor, they become a very good team? What’s the line in the sand for being a legitimate NHL team? Is it just that they have to have better results than bottom 10 in the NHL for a season? Or is there more to it than results? Is it about the team, or is it about the management group as well? Did they become and NHL when MacT took over? Or are they still not an NHL team due to the stink of failure that permeates the organization?

14. Robinthe403 says:

When I read the first few lines of this post I assumed the worst: Dellow snapped up by an NHL club other than the Oilers. I instantly felt nauseous and my head began pounding.

When I got to the part about the rumoured club to acquire his services being the Oilers I suddenly felt re-born: oozing confidence, better looking and waaaay smarter.

Being a huge fan of this Oilers franchise is a bizarre test of the human psyche.

God I hope it’s the Oilers.

15. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

Wow. Dellow combined with SportsVu and a management team open to new ideas is a lethal combination. Very mixed emotions as that is a serious blow to the analytics community and my entertainment as a whole … happy he went to the good side ;).

The speed of this adoption was somewhat foretold by Dan Haight. NBA swallowed the analytics field in a hurry and left a void for the fans. Thank goodness this site has a good following of smart guys so I don’t have to fear a complete loss here.

Congrats again to Tyler!

16. book¡je says:

Hammers: Try reading other comments and as for Cox you can have him and his opinions .You must be from Toronto .

wooooosh

17. Jordan says:

Well Damn.

I thought that was over the top enough to be clear that I was being sarcastic (in my response to your post). Clearly I was not, and need to be more outrageous in my statements – I suppose it might have been more relevant recently to discuss Mr. Simmons’ work vis-a-vis Mr. Dellow’s as it’s been very widely available this summer. I still prefer the much more cutting comments in the blog itself several years about Cox, but I suppose for clarity and relevance, it would have been helpful.

book¡je: wooooosh

Thanks for the reassurance Book;je

18. book¡je says:

Robinthe403:
    When I read the first few lines of this post I assumed the worst:Dellow snapped up by an NHL club other than the Oilers.I instantly felt nauseous and my head began pounding.

Jordan: Well Damn.

I thought that was over the top enough to be clear that I was being sarcastic (in my response to your post).Clearly I was not, and need to be more outrageous in my statements – I suppose it might have been more relevant recently to discuss Mr. Simmons’ work vis-a-vis Mr. Dellow’s as it’s been very widely available this summer.I still prefer the much more cutting comments in the blog itself several years about Cox, but I suppose for clarity and relevance, it would have been helpful.

No, it was clear enough. :-)

20. book¡je says:

Jordan: Well Damn.

21. slopitch says:

I actually think the time to have an advantage by doing analytics is over. Its going to become who has the best algorithm because everyone is doing it. The days of Excel docs is over – its going to be SportsVu and machine learning paired with hockey knowledge that wins. You have to do it better and Dellow is up there in terms of ability. He’s been sifting through the noise better and longer then most. Congrats Tyler. Im pumped the Oilers hired you.

22. bendelson says:

As I read your article I was thinking good for Dellow,
    but not a big surprise. This seemed to be somewhat inevitable.

It turns out, the real surprise was waiting in the next paragraph…
    It’s the Oilers!?!

This is great news!

Toronto and now Edmonton – who’s next… Brian Burke?

book¡je: When I saw the picture, I was pretty sure Dellow had taken on a career robbing bank machines and 7-11s.

24. G Money says:

I clicked on Dellow’s site last night and it just had the big page with his email on it.

“Dammit, he’s gone off line again. I wonder if he’s just retiring again, or actually signed with a team?”

Hate losing his (public) work, but glad someone’s using his talent. Would be STOKED if it’s the Oilers, as I’m sure he’d be.

Always amazed that Dellow is a lawyer. The intricate attention to detail makes sense, but most of the lawyers I know couldn’t use statistics to find their way out of a paper bag (except for the bill of course). One of a kind, that guy.

25. Bag of Pucks says:

If it is the Oilers, it would be interesting to know when Tyler first came on their radar screen.

One could certainly imagine a scenario where his predictive analysis on the folly of the Khabibulin contract became a recurring topic of conversation amongst Tambi critics (i.e. Lowe) in the corridors of power.

Given what appears to be the rapidly escalating adoption of analytics in the NHL, you would hope they are already experimenting with chip in the puck technology. When we reach that hallowed day of actual, detailed, shot metrics being compiled, I can see the embedded number crunchers providing tactical nuance and pre-scouting reports that will revolutionize the way hockey is scouted and coached.

The first team that truly ‘gets this’ will create a competitive advantage akin to the advantage Bill Walsh created with the origination of the West Coast Offense. I can see it already, ‘The Corsi Trophy’ awarded to the hockey org best leveraging analytics to advance the game.

Heady days ahead.

26. book¡je says:

Bag of Pucks,

My thoughts were that someone read his analysis of Hall’s troubles last year. It was only about a week after Dellow noted the issues that Eakins identified the same issues with Halls game and changed his usage.

27. misfit says:

I wonder if they’ll let him continue to work from his mother’s basement?

Big congratulations to Tyler Dellow. That’s a big accomplishment for sure.

28. Bag of Pucks says:

G Money:
    Always amazed that Dellow is a lawyer.The intricate attention to detail makes sense, but most of the lawyers I know couldn’t use statistics to find their way out of a paper bag (except for the bill of course).One of a kind, that guy.

Think this a tad bit of over-generalization. The practice of law involves everything & everyone from mergers & acquisitions to sports agents to ambulance chasers.

Plenty of areas in the field where those of an analytics bent can rise to the top.

I think a big reason lawyers get a bad rap is the ones the public typically encounter are those working in the bottom rungs of the profession. The truly talented in the field have progressed into areas of policy, strategy and counsel where the degree was simply a stepping stone into a far broader remit.

29. Soup Fascist says:

Jordan: Well Damn.

Thanks for the reassurance Book;je

30. Bag of Pucks says:

book¡je:
    Bag of Pucks,

My thoughts were that someone read his analysis of Hall’s troubles last year.It was only about a week after Dellow noted the issues that Eakins identified the same issues with Halls game and changed his usage.

This is the undeniable strength of Tyler’s work. From the Khabibulin contract to Colin Campbell’s conflict of interest to his examination of Hall’s corsi factors, he’s done a LOT of stuff that’s been picked up the MSM and got the attention of Hockey Ops across the league.

For those orgs who’ve been ‘exposed’ by his work in the past, I would think ‘muzzling’ him is one of the big attractions of the hire. If you can’t beat him, join him!

31. thejonrmcleod says:

Why is this “sail on” and not “coming home”?

32. slopitch says:

I’m not really fully on board the argument that because I took limited high school and pursued hockey over an education means that the hockey player is less intelligent then the guy who chose education. If your close to making pros, I think you have to chase both the earning potential and the passion. Even though there is a difference btw hockey smarts and book smarts, I think that in order to play that level of hockey, chances are you are a super intelligent person. I like that MacT took his MBA and paired his hockey background with education. Overall though I don’t believe there is a recipe for success. To me, it boils down to hard work. Dellow put the time in and while it satisfies a big time goal, this isn’t the end of the journey. This is just an opportunity which I think he’ll thrive on.

33. haters says:

Is it strange that this move brought more credibility to the club than any other move this summer?(IMHO)

Gratz Tyler. You number crunching, zone start video watching, breakout pass critiquing freak show !
    It’s a good day to be an oiler fan.

34. Ribs says:

This is great news! Congrats to Tyler!

Now just don’t let us learn that it’s another Alberta team he’s working for!

35. bassguy says:

Soup Fascist: When you used “insightful” and “Damien Cox” in the same sentence it was evident you were in full “spoof” mode.

this was my feeling exactly!!….hope its the oilers!

36. Soup Fascist says:

I think this is a good hire for a lot of reasons.

1) Dellow is a sharp cookie and his application of analytics are 2nd to none.

2) He is as far away from the much ballyhooed “old boys club” as you can get.

3) While I am not totally on board with all the analytics I think a mixture of “fancy stats” and “saw him good” provides some balance and sober second thought on player personnel decisions.

4) It shows the braintrust may be ready to acknowledge they are not the “smartest guys in the room” – although one would have hoped several years without playoffs should have sounded some alarm bells a little earlier.

…. now if Dellow can just gain 50 lbs, get a Jonah Hill / Katz kid perm, sport a Yale tie to work and hire Brad Pitt as GM, the Oilers are in business.

37. striker says:

book¡je: I’m pretty sure Hammers is busy protesting the use of poor Irish children as food for the wealthy classes, so he may not have had time to carefully read your post.

Stop swiftboating that Irish nutrition idea, it’s a perfectly thought out, reasonable and modest proposal. On the bright side, if Dellow moves to Edm, LT can take him out to lunch and pick his brain for insider information that can subtlety be hinted at on the Lowdown a la Stauffer.

Great day for Dellow and great day for the Oilers. Woohoo!!!

38. Lloyd B. says:

Perhaps Eakins trip to Dallas opened some eyes about having a varied staff that can touch the players in different ways. ( that doesn’t sound quite right ) Good on em.

39. Pouzar says:

Wait……………….does “Daily Doug” approve?

40. RexLibris says:

41. OilClog says:

haters:

It’s a good day to be an oiler fan.

No, it’s close but Kelly and Steve not being behind the bench and replaced with that Ramsay fellow is still the biggest move.

Taylor Hall is going to go supernova if Dellow can truly make some noise.

42. Cobbler says:

Big Congratulations to Tyler Dellow! Thanks for the blog over the years.

43. G Money says:

Bag of Pucks,

I did specify “most of the lawyers I know” which is explicit acknowledgement of a generalization based on localized experience.

As you say, I’m sure there are others like Dellow out there, strong analytically and strong numerically, and my statement does not preclude their existence.

Nonetheless, between family, friends, and professional contacts, I know and have worked with – no exaggeration to say – something approaching triple digits in lawyer count over the last 15 years. Most of those have been with prestigious law firms in the M&A area (that was my area for a decade, and I bought nine companies), where you’d think the analytics would be strongest. Yet I’d say something more than half were close to numerically illiterate. And I’m quite certain none could do what Dellow does.

Not by any means to say there aren’t others like Dellow out there, nor is this really a shot at lawyers per se compos mentis ipso facto carpe diem (generally, they have been smart and knowledgeable in their field, and a couple that weren’t I stopped using right away), just that in my (reasonably extensive) experience, Dellow’s combination is a rare one in the lawyering field.

44. nycoil says:

I’m actually not in the least bit surprised. MacT had directly referenced Dellow on a few occasions or hinted very strongly at consulting him. I always figured it would be a team that would snap him up, not the MSM, and all the signs had been pointing to the Oilers. I’m surprised it took this long, actually, but I think they were testing his insights on a “consultancy” type arrangement before.

I think when MacT said Pouliot was his number one offseason target, that was a dead giveaway. I think Dellow might have consulted on Perron as well and given the home run that turned out to be, his credibility was significant. If only they’d listened to Dellow on Stralman instead of Nikitin! If Stralman kills it and Nikitin doesn’t, well we can blame Howson on that one and point to a victory for stats over “saw him good.”

Regardless, as you say, LT, if the Oilers use him a lot more to screen their managerial decisions, that’s a helluva step in the right direction. If in addition to that, Eakins and Ramsay are willing to get feedback from him on player usage (such as the Hall “dump in” discourse), then that’s music!

Sail on, Dellow. Well deserved. Please don’t let your message be dumbed down; stand up for what you believe in, and make a real difference to the organization.

thejonrmcleod:
    Why is this “sail on” and not “coming home”?

I assumed it would be on your blog, Jon.

46. Bag of Pucks says:

G Money:
    Bag of Pucks,

Cool. And for the record, if Delllow were to take a job with the Flames, I would immediately rescind any kind or deferential word ever uttered about lawyers and return to the position of that famous Shakespearean quote : )

47. Lois Lowe says:

G Money,

As a recent graduate I can say that my experience is a bit different. I personally know a few engineers, one guy with a PhD in math who is lawyering and another with a BEng/MEng and another with a MSci in physics. The mathy types get snapped up by intellectual property firms quickly. Lots of science backgrounds though, they just don’t end up doing corporate/criminal/family law where you’re likely to run into them.

48. commonfan14 says:

So apparently this is and Eakins hire and he’ll be reporting directly to him.

Could turn out to be a pretty short-term gig if things go bad early next year…

49. thejonrmcleod says:

Lowetide: I assumed it would be on your blog, Jon.

Do I have a blog that I don’t know about?

50. Racki says:

Lowetide: I looked for another picture, but the lawyer one looked stretched. So, you have balaclava Dellow.

Did you find this one on the Craigslist personals?

51. TheOtherJohn says:

Lowetide: I assumed it would be on your blog, Jon.

Jon has a blog………wait what?

Surprised Staples wasn’t hired first

52. Lois Lowe says:

TheOtherJohn,

You are? Staples’ work on scoring chance ‘mistakes’ isn’t very strong IMO.

53. Kris11 says:

Awesome Work Dellow!

I bet this must irk all the people who told Dellow that hockey people like MacT had more knowledge than those who just looked at the numbers and that he should watch the games.

What ever happened to Vic. F. He was the best.

54. VanOil says:

Both Dellow and Parkatti have increased my knowledge and enjoyment of hockey. I am thrilled they are both working for the Oilers.

Dellow’s twitter exchange with Perron last season, a player recruited by the Oilers based on his advanced stats, was magical. The Oilers are now better able to have these discussions in house. But we as fans are poorer off for not getting to listen in.

55. thejonrmcleod says:

TheOtherJohn: Jon has a blog………wait what?

Surprised Staples wasn’t hired first

Not at the moment. Currently weighing my options.

56. TheOtherJohn says:

We have to come upo with a universal sign for sarcasm. I’d go with **** ***

Clearly ****sarcasm alert*** re Staples.Clearly less so re Jon. Always love reading various Oiler blogs Reading more of Oil Rig sibce Rom started posting there

I honestly thought Jon wrote for Oil on Whyte.

58. thejonrmcleod says:

I did for a couple of years. Stopped about a year ago. For the right offer I might dust off the basement computer.

59. justDOit says:

Down Goes Brown
    ‏@DownGoesBrown
    You know, between the Leafs and the Oilers, this summer isn’t helping the stereotype that stats guys are most comfortable in the basement.

60. TheOtherJohn says:

thejonrmcleod:

Sheesh LT, thought everyone knew that.

****Whats Oil on Whyte***

61. Ducey says:

Interesting that Eakins hired him.

For someone that many have said is full of himself, he certainly went out and got some help this summer.

Rocky Thompson, Ramsay and Dellow are strong hires. And at least 2 of those guys won’t be shy about handing out advice to the head coach.

62. Hammers says:

Your forgetting one thing . Many in the east think Cox is a genius .

63. Hammers says:

RexLibris: I remember getting into some discussions with fans of other teams about the role analytics plays in their respective organizations. Most of the time the fans were arguing that their team was a leader in advanced stats amongst the NHL.The proof of this was the organization’s employment of one or two individuals with job titles that had “analytic” or “statistical” appended onto another, more traditional, title. I followed up with some research about various teams and any information publicly available on statistical review, scouting, database contracts, etc. More often than not the arguments were empty, the result of fans believing what the organization had said in the media. The Oilers were one that stood out (I researched them as well) as having public acknowledgement of their online database for scouting purposes and public mention of including statistical analysis in player procurement at the professional and amateur level. Adding Dellow to the Oilers is something that we should be proud of for the following reasons:1. He’s intelligent and objective and likely to improve the work done by the organization.2. This is a case of someone outside the traditional hockey circles getting a real NHL job – exceptional by its rarity.3. He is one of “us” – meaning he is someone outside the MSM, an online presence who brought a great deal of passion and inquisitiveness to bear on his favourite team.Great news for all of us. His presence on the web will be missed, but I hope that his impact on the Oilers will give us all the more topics, and with luck positive ones, to discuss in this and other forums.

Here here to that

64. Ducey says:

Hammers: Your forgetting one thing . Many in the east think Cox is a genius .

Apparently 20% of people in Toronto still support Rob Ford. Maybe they are the same people.

65. Spartacus says:

Awesome! I didn’t think the Oilers were smart enough to hire him.

66. Soup Fascist says:

Hammers: Your forgetting one thing . Many in the east think Cox is a genius .

I am not sure how anyone outside of Damien Cox thinks Damien Cox is a genius. Pretty sure his mom even knows better.

However, you are correct, one should never underestimate the lack of common sense in “the center of the hockey universe”.

Saddest part is this windbag could potentially be part of a network that has the national broadcast rights for the NHL for the NEXT 12 YEARS!

Facepalm.

67. borisnikov says:

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I have spent too many hours outside of the interent arguing with buddies about advanced stats (foolishly). This summer has been a fancy stats revelation. Dellow being hired is just f*cking gravy on top of the gritencity plate of humble pie. Wonderful!

Good luck Dellow!

68. B S says:

First off, Congrats to Dellow. He works hard, has real insight, and an obvious passion. Hopefully he is working for the Oilers.

I just hope he can get out of his own way fast enough. He can’t be argumentative and confrontational like he was on the internet and expect to keep management’s support. He will need to win over the “saw him good” crowd in the room by showing them where the analytics can help them. Best of luck to him.

69. B S says:

Ducey: Apparently 20% of people in Toronto still support Rob Ford.Maybe they are the same people.

Wait and see, Ford will win the election in TO.

70. Zangetsu says:

Good because i have it on good authority “he’s smater than all the GMs and Joel Quenville.”

71. Frank The Dog says:

iirc Eakins’ first year at the Marlies was also not too good. He did a lot better from the second year onwards. Bodes well for the Oilers.

Being undermined by a direct report will frequently bring out the worst in a person. In Eakins case, if he was being undermined by one or both of his assistants, and was borderline losing the players as well, then his rigid, self-defensive approach becomes contextual.

This year Dallas has a team made up of people who have his back in the best possible way. He can take a deep breath, relax now, and focus on the task at hand sans the kind of political crap he is sure to have endured last year. For that reason I suspect we will indeed see a kinder, gentler, more relaxed Dallas, who can, at last, actually trust his staff from Rocky up through Dellow to Acton Sr.

I had previously seen stats as a way to scout moneyball players and also as underlying reasons for teams that fare poorly. Having Tyler report to Dallas, means taking statistical analysis to a whole new level, as he did with Hall, showing how to best use each player based on their prior stats.

Awesome.

72. Bag of Pucks says:

Serious question (as I may have missed it when this hit the public domain), is there a single shred of evidence to support this theory that Eakins was undermined by his assistants, or is this pure conjecture?

book¡je:
    Bag of Pucks,

MacT was on Stauffer’s show bragging about how much better Hall was playing, blowing BS, and Stauffer “ambushed” him with Dellow’s analysis of how Eakins’ turned Hall from a Corsi lion into a Corsi pussy cat.

74. knighttown says:

Very, very interesting news here. I’ve been involved in the ‘sphere for most of my adult life and for some reason this feels very surreal. The thing with Tyler is that he has the formal education to actually become a GM someday. He also has played the game at a Higher level than 95% of bloggers who, right or wrong, are automatically ruled out.

Assuming a GM has to check a bunch of boxes he checks most of them:
    - formal education ideally in law or MBA
    - knowledge of analytics
    - solid to exceptional hockey background (he’d score quite low here)

Unlike an ex-NHL star who might get chance after chance, Tyler will likely only get this one. He’ll have to prove he’s the absoute best of the basement bloggers and will have to bring way more than the ex players looking to make a name. Of course a large part of being a manager is management so there are some concerns with his personality but I do wonder if the “attitude” is a bit of a shtick.

He’s set himself up for this opportunity at a good age. If he learns and if he plays his cards right and if he gets a few breaks the sky could be the limit. That’s if he has interest beyond the analytics department and I think he does.

75. RT26 says:

This is terrific news, and I believe another reason to affirm the job MacT is doing as GM. While I know the 2C roles seems wanting, he has added analytical expertise, coaching experience and support, veteran wingers and defensemen and seems to have made smart bets in doing so.

Maybe we re-visit the swarm early in the new season and this team might make some noise at the low end of the Western conference playoff race. My estimation might be a season early , but I see good things happening for long term success.

76. Kitchener says:

Dellow’s brain yada yada yada…

What I wanna know is:
    – is he 6’3″?
    – 225lbs?
    – first round pick?
    – willing to drop the gloves?

Seriously though, this is great news and an excellent use of non-cap dollars to improve the team.

77. Frank The Dog says:

Bag of Pucks:

There was some debate on this blog way back and some evidence at ON was referred to. iirc two posters there independently reported hearing Kelly B express some sort of frustration at Eakins. That’s why I said “if”,as in, if such and such happened, that may explain why Eakins would behave differently when he has his own hand picked staff.

Cheers!

78. Soup Fascist says:

The rumblings are that there has been some “consultation” between MC79 and Eakins and / or MacT for awhile now.

If so, is it possible that Dellow HAS ALREADY influenced the organization in terms of going with what they had down the middle vs. signing potential puck posession black holes (Ott, Roy, etc)?

79. Kitchener says:

An extra potential impact of the Dellow hire: players’ trust in the organization.

The hiring of Ramsay, Rocky, and Dellow, combined with Eakins’ willingness to learn sends a message to the players that the organization is open to doing everything in its power to improve the play. These coaching moves should create a sense of optimism for the players in their mid-summer routines.

Intangibles can’t be measured, but they still matter.

Now if only they had 3 centers.

80. Ryan says:

Wow. This is incredible. I used to complain, “why don’t the Oilers hire someone like Dellow?” For what the past four years. Wtf can I complain about now?

81. Lois Lowe says:

I also think Dellow should have an effect on Howson with the former’s knowledge of the CBA and the law in general. Good tidings.

82. commonfan14 says:

Soup Fascist: Does anyone know if Dellow had public views (or for that matter unpublished opinions) on Arco and Draisaitl’s ability to perform as centers for the Oilers this year?
    If so, is it possible that Dellow HAS ALREADY influenced the organization in terms going with what they had down the middle vs. signing potential puck posession black holes (Ott, Roy, etc)?

Also, the Spector column from this morning that carved him is no longer online.

83. Bag of Pucks says:

Folks, he’s an analytics whiz, not Febreze. He can’t singlehandedly fix everything that smells in this org ; )

84. Invalid Username says:

I guess when you’re Teh Worst Franchise in Professional Sports (TM) you’ll cling to any idea that might give your hapless fans hap.
    Good luck with the Corgis. The rest of the NHL fanbase will be over here counting the Ws.

85. Bag of Pucks says:

Invalid Username:

This coming from a guy who can’t spell the word “The” (TM)

86. Jordan says:

Invalid Username:

Huh. I don’t remember the Oilers’ stanley cup wins being retroactively re-distributed to other teams.

Too bad. I guess my team is now just as successful as the Vancouver Canucks.

87. Bank Shot says:

Soup Fascist:

Does anyone know ifDellow had public views (or for that matter unpublished opinions) on Arco and Draisaitl’s ability to perform as centers for the Oilers this year?

If so, is it possible that Dellow HAS ALREADY influenced the organization in termsgoing with what they had down the middle vs. signing potential puck posession black holes (Ott, Roy, etc)?

I was kind of wondering for awhile now if the Oilers were reading the blogs. Last summer in particular, management made moves that the blogsphere wanted in signing guys like Gordon and Labarbera.

The Oilers and Tyler being in discussions certainly explains the curious switch when MC79 stopped hammering the Oilers org last season even as the team was circling the drain by the middle of October.

This offseason was a stats guy’s dream with Pouliot, Purcell, and Fayne joining the fold. Have to wonder how much influence was there.

88. Henry says:

Also, the Spector column from this morning that carved him is no longer online.

commonfan14,

89. Ducey says:

commonfan14: He has expressed doubt about Arco on twitter, as well as dismay that they didn’t sign Roy.Also, the Spector column from this morning that carved him is no longer online.

Crazy, Maybe they have to erase all of Spector’s columns because he has been hired by the Flames to help Burkie with his rants.

90. D. Green says:

I remember on a very recent post he made that he mentioned a lawyer would nowadays be needed to run hockey ops – I joked – did he fancy a job then …

Really hope it is with the oilers – it is sad news in one way – as has already been said – we are losing some of the best writers – glad there is still this site ……

Incidentally first time poster but long time reader and even longer time fan

91. justDOit says:

Until 59 minutes ago, I had some reservations about today’s rumours. I can now say, Yay!

Edmonton Oilers @EdmontonOilers · 1h
    The #Oilers have hired Tyler Dellow (@mc79hockey) to consult with Hockey Operations.

92. ChiliChunk says:

Henry: commonfan14,

Interesting.Were you or anyone able to copy Spector’s piece to a reading list?Would like to see it.

93. The Professor says:

Henry: Interesting. Were you or anyone able to copy Spector’s piece to a reading list? Would like to see it.

I was able to access a cached version of the article a couple of minutes ago at http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:6jpm45i54hwJ:www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/oilers-hiring-of-dellow-a-leap-for-analytics/+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

94. The Professor says:

apparently chilichunk beat me to it. How embarrassing for me.

95. commonfan14 says:

Henry,

I didn’t. I went there based on Willis mentioning the column on twitter and he’d be my best bet for someone who’d have copied it, but I see he’s now noticed the “Page not Found” message as well.

It basically said that this wasn’t an average analytics hire, but the hiring of the most notoriously outspoken and combative analytics guy out there. Said he wouldn’t last long without an attitude adjustment, etc. Time for him to show how smart he is – that kind of thing.

One of the comments was “How is this not libellous?”

96. B S says:

ChiliChunk: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?hl=en-CA&q=cache:6jpm45i54hwJ:http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/…&gbv=2&&ct=clnk

Oddly enough for a Spector piece much of this is fairly true, excepting the last two paragraphs which are pure childish garbage. In a tragic way this might be the best writing Spector has ever done. Also, Spector and other critics of Dellow (myself firmly included) also need to bear in mind we are talking about an internet persona and not necessarily Dellow’s actual personality. Regarding the “personal” nature of their “discussions” Spector wasn’t exactly the hallmark of professionalism, and has never offered an analysis beyond an immovable stance on more hitting and facepunching=better hockey.

justDOit:

Edmonton Oilers @EdmontonOilers·1h

Thank Atheismo (and JustDOit), I’ve been waiting for this news, glad to have it confirmed.

97. Doomoil says:

‘Dellow’s biggest fault is he turned everything personal, says I, Lord of the MSM Spector in this personal attack piece.”

I managed to hear 1260 for 2 minutes today. Just long enough to hear Gregor say, “I’ll never talk to the guy.”

Poor big ole babies. This man wasn’t nice to me when I yelled stupid nothings at his face instead of forming a coherent argument, what a huge jerk he is.

98. wheatnoil says:

Interesting… apparently Eakins hasn’t stopped at shadowing the Dallas Cowboys. He went to Columbia to check out the Mizzou Tigers.

Quoted from the article:
    “I’m here to learn how top-level coaching staffs work together to get the best out of their athletes,” said Eakins. “Hockey staffs are really starting to grow exponentially now, it used to be you had a head coach and an assistant or two and we would handle everything, but now, fortunately, we’re adding positional coaches, and strength staffs, more trainers, you name it, and my staff is now really big. I want to learn from proven coaches how they manage this size of a staff, and how the head coach delegates authority and how they communicate within the organization what the expectations are and how they work together toward their goals,” he said.

Eakins has been busy this off-season!

99. Doomoil says:

I just wish Eakins had gone to a good football team with a good coach and not Mr. Ice my own kicker.

100. justDOit says:

From Spector’s cached page of words and phrases strung together:

Yeah – he’s going to treat his new bosses the same way he treats media hacks on twitter.

Now, I don’t follow twitter, and I don’t know that much about Dellow, but that paragraph reeks of bitterness and maybe even jealousy.

101. B S says:

wheatnoil,

That’s really cool to see. I’m not sure what to expect out of it, since Eakins has talked plenty before and walked very little of it, but so far he seems genuinely interested in learning to become an effective coach (at least from a systems and useage standpoint). I’ve been genuinely concerned with Eakins’ arrogance getting in the way of his improvement as a coach, but this along with the Dellows hire and at least some friendly discourse with Yakupov over the summer gives me hope that we’ll see much better coaching, which could make a huge difference next season. Pass me some kool-aid.

102. Numenius says:

This is excellent news about Dellow, both for him and for the Oilers. I’m very encouraged. A good sign that Oiler management is getting smarter.

On an off-topic note, I think I finally figured out Tampa’s motivations with Gagner. This has probably been obvious to everyone else, but I’m slow.

Why TB acquired him from the Oilers:
    - They were planning to do a Purcell buyout to make room to sign UFAs. A Purcell buyout would have cost them 2/3 of his salary because he’s over 26 – making it a 1.5M cap hit over 4 years.
    - Trading for Gagner and doing a Gagner buyout would have cost them only 1/3 because he’s under 26, averaging 0.733M over 4 years. This motivated the initial trade, saving them 0.767M cap hit per year.

Why traded to Coyotes:
    - Trading Gagner to the Coyotes while retaining 1/3 of his salary might not seem to benefit TB by itself, but it does mean TB pays 1.6M over 2 years instead of 0.733M over 4. This could have been seen as an improvement since it gets the contract off the books sooner. On the other hand, it may not have mattered from TB’s point of view, neither preventing a trade nor motivating it.
    - Trading Crombeen as well allowed them to get rid of (presumably) a useless player to them, gain 1.15M cap space for the year (whittling down Gagner’s retained cap hit effectively to 0.45M for the year), gain a roster spot (which they seem to have needed to sign UFAs, they’re hovering around the limit right now), and ask for a 6th rounder on top. This is where the trade starts to make more sense, and it was more than simply acquiring the 6th rounder.

That’s what I’ve been able to come up with, at any rate.

103. PaperDesigner says:

Maybe I just missed it, but I never got a “rude” or “personally insulting” vibe from Tyler. Blunt and opinionated, which is often mistaken for those things, sure. I did think Gregor’s speech was a little more graceful than Spector’s piece.

104. justDOit says:

B S:
    wheatnoil,

Pass me some kool-aid.

Blue or orange?

105. Магия 10 says:

Doomoil:

Pure unintentional comedy:

“I have had @Mc79Hockey blocked on Twitter for most of the last three years, so hostile was his approach to any conflicting view or mindset.”

Spector churlish? Who knew. Would have loved to see the race at Sportsnet to pull that pile of bile down. They must be thrilled when a Sportsnet writer loses it all over another Sportsnet writer.

106. B S says:

justDOit,

I wish I could remember what thread it was, but remember his spat with VOR. That has always stuck with me as a clear test of Dellows character. Dellow failed miserably by my opinion, though ironically he gave me confidence in his analytical abiities.

VOR posed a legitimate and crucial question about the significance of Dellow’s stats (read as example, the probability that differences in Halls corsi are due to differences in play style vs sampling error/chance). Dellow was obstinate and viscious, and gave vague responses for several exchanges until he finally gave R-square and P-values, the only things VOR was looking for in the first place, and the main point of performing any statistical analysis (to show that a trend in sample can be extrapolated to a greater population with confidence).

Spector shouldn’t be one to talk about Dellows attitude, but his actual points (imagine them written by someone less hypocritical) are nonetheless true.

107. RexLibris says:

From Spector’s article: “Hockey analytics are still in their infancy, and the Oilers are not alone in the belief that you can still get in on the ground floor…”

Analytics are past their infancy stage. They are pretty clearly in the process of maturation wherein certain stats are falling by the wayside and others are being calibrated to provide a more refined perspective – see the addition of “rel” to some old standards like Corsi and QualComp.

Analytics are only in their infancy in terms of being even recognized, though not necessarily appreciated, by the mainstream sports media. Including Spector.

More: “Just as Dellow became the Pied Piper of hockey stats geeks, so too did his aggressive behaviour become a stereotype that has hindered popular acceptance of that community. Mc79hockey believed that any dissenting views should be targeted for ridicule, and if Dellow acts the same way in his new job, he won’t last. Period.”

Fair enough. Tyler Dellow could probably come across like a pompous ass at times. Call the kettle black, shall we? From Steve Simmons to Mark Spector to Damien Cox to Don Cherry to Doug MacLean to Nick Kypreos to PJ Stock. The list of voices within the prescribed media pantheon who are equally guilty of this kind of acerbic confidence is long. Dellow may be one more in that line, maybe not. I’ve never found him to be as aggressive as many others I’ve listened to and the fact behind it all is that had Dellow been in agreement with those mentioned above, he would be welcomed openly.

You can only be a jerk if you are their kind of jerk. Otherwise you are a pedantic posturing blowhard.

I recognize that journalists are in a tough spot these days, particularly sports journalists. So much information is available within the public domain that they are scrambling to find ways of proving themselves useful and necessary. Having one’s career and earnings threatened is not an easy thing. However, circling the wagons and being intentionally aggressive towards those effecting the change only serves to hasten one’s fall.

108. Deadman Waiting says:

B S:

Martin Amis on racism

In fourth grade I made friends first with Connie, then Marshal, then Dickie. After a while I became enamored of a black boy — called Marty. Marty wore his name with some panache (whereas, in my case, Marty had reverted to Mart, just as Nick Jr. had reverted to Phil). One day, using the come-on line favored by British children, I said to Marty:

“Would you like to come to my house for tea?”

“Mm. I prefer coffee.”

“I meant high tea. With cakes and buns. You can have coffee.”

“Nah. Your mother wouldn’t like me.”

“Why not?’

“Because I’m black.”

“My mother won’t even notice you’re black.”

First you have to convince me that Dallas will even notice that Dellow is argumentative.

I still recall my first time encountering one hell of a black man. At age nine I had broken my left arm, both the radius and ulna, and it wasn’t setting properly, so I was referred to a clinic in Calgary for pin surgery. This was the bone man for the Calgary Stampeders. On the day we showed up, two or three members of the Stampeders football team were seated in the waiting area. These were BIG men. One of them was black as night. OMG he’s BLAAAACK! He was so black it was almost hard to see his face. I got over my shock in a few seconds, by which point it struck me that my parents were more freaked out than I was. Probably because of the time we boarded the aircraft when I was four years old and I saw a man with a thick beard and thick, hippy hair who looked exactly like the picture of Jesus in my father’s downstairs study, causing me to yell out at the top of my lungs “It’s Jesus! It’s Jesus! That man is Jesus!” Turned out he wasn’t Jesus after all. False alarm.

This woman could have been his sister. He had great skin. That’s exactly how menacing the man looked, subtracting out a hundred pounds of ripped musculature. He was a friendly giant, and maybe on the ‘ludes, too, waiting for a rib to mend. My dad mostly knew who they were, but they weren’t any of the players who ever touch the football I’d managed to notice. Maybe one guy was a depth-chart fullback. By today’s standards, none of these guys was anywhere near bulky enough for the offensive line, but perhaps standards have changed. Or maybe he was the fire-plug deputy fullback who lays down the leading cut block on the toss sweep, while some whitey with the swarthy legs of Hercules drives the ball. I think they run that play the other way around now in modern football.

Any time Eakins gets a bit impatient with Dellow, he’ll just say “I’m not sure about this opinion of yours, why don’t you ring up Six Rings and see what he thinks?” Kevin has an insatiable appetite for bad attitude—so long as he wins. At some point during the fireworks Dellow will look at his watch—if he’s even that old-school—and go “shit, I’ve got two more player reports due tomorrow morning”. How hard he pushes his case will mostly come down to stamina (and durable ribs).

The military doesn’t soften people up by making them tepid. It’s softens them up through the survival calculus of quality sack time. Just say the word, any time, and six hours’ sleep turns into four hours’ sleep. There’s real skin behind barking off.

The dynamics in the bigs are a little different than the banter at Tim Hortons, where Dellow sometimes rubs other coffee drinkers the wrong way. Dellow has his own appetite for friction, but he clearly earns most of his rope on most occasions.

109. bry_oil says:

Does anyone know if it’s been specified anywhere on whether he’ll be working more on the player acquisition side of things with MacT or more analyzing the play of the team and uncovering things to help out Eakins, or maybe a mix of both? He will be a help the team either way.

110. B S says:

justDOit: Blue or orange?

Blue, when it passes through I’ll know it’s the Kool-aid and not a bowel problem.

111. RexLibris says:

justDOit:
    From Spector’s cached page of words and phrases strung together:

Exactly.

Media guys live and die by access to the teams.

A lowly blogger, and one with whom Spector has publicly traded barbs, just overtook him in that category, albeit not to the effect of reporting on the team but because his opinion has been deemed to be so valid.

That is pride stung badly.

112. RexLibris says:

bry_oil:

Rumour is he’s reporting directly to Eakins, so that would assume that he will be involved in deployment and strategy rather than primarily in terms of acquisition.

Parkatti has worked with scouting in the past, and I suspect he will continue to do so, although Dellow may also be tasked with some work in that area depending on his workload and the split of his duties. For all we know Eakins may lock him in a dark room and tell him to review tape and produce player reports 365 days a year.

113. Doomoil says:

I don’t know how anyone who’s listened to Steve Simmons lose his mind and start screaming STANLEY CUP WINNING GOAOOAOAOAOAL at Tyler while Tyler delivered a very reasonable and calm argument, can worry that he’s going to go in to the Oilers’ offices and call everyone idiots.

If you were bombarded with the amount of crap mentions that he and other ‘stats’ guys are, you’d probably be pretty glib too.

114. Bag of Pucks says:

A few thoughts on this.

1) I’m not sure how much the ‘Internet’ persona differs from the real life personality in this instance? Dellow wasn’t blogging anonymously and twitter is a fairly direct form of communication. TD wasn’t writing creative fan fiction behind the guise of a pseudonym. He was postulating factual hypotheses and then defending his positions. If Tyler was cultivating a public persona, distinctly different from his private personality, then acting and not analytics is his greatest talent.

2) I’ve found Dellow’s work to be extremely interesting. I’ve also found him to be extremely condescending and abrasive at times. I’m not sure why these two viewpoints need to be mutually exclusive? Is it possible that the ‘saw him good’ and the ‘sample size’ gangs could’ve achieved mutual respect without such confrontation? It’s possible, but I think history has shown us that when you’re killing sacred cows, sometimes diplomacy isn’t enough. Ultimately, that’s what the Spectors of the world most despise & fear. Their ivory tower is crumbling and they’ve now been very publicly proven wrong. Spector’s wishing for Dellow to fail in the new role is a desperation move towards stalemate. Oddly enough, he should be celebrating as the hire effectively muzzles Dellow in the public domain.

Tyler will undoubtedly be more impactful to the final results themselves in his new role, but certainly the advanced stats community is left wondering what (if any) of these innovations will be available for public consumption?

3) I can’t help but feel that the hullabaloo over this hire somewhat overwhelms the excellent work of folks like Parkatti and McCurdy who are already working with the Oil in an analytics capacity as well as the trailblazing work of folks like Ferrari, Desjardins, LT and others.

Dellow has been very effective at self promotion and garnering media coverage of his efforts, and I suspect those efforts have been made from the start with the eventual endgame of going over to the dark side in mind? Zero fault there. Find your muse and pursue it.

Dellow’s work has been stellar (by no means am I minimizing that), but I was drawn to this community by the great work of many talented folks none of whom I feel stand in Tyler’s shadow. The kudos are well deserved today, but so are they deserved by many folks in this community who have worked passionately to consider, collaborate and create the intellectual insights that have advanced this field. And the highest kudos to those who’ve done so without giving into the temptation to be condescending or abrasive. Excelsior!

115. Henry says:

Thanks very much. Its pretty easy to see why sportsnet depublished that piece. Spector will likely get some editorial advice.

I can’t cite any specific criticism of Lowe coming from mc79 over the years, but I’m pretty sure they are there and they are good and harsh. It’s pretty impressive that Lowe hired him on to better the team.

There were many valuable pieces from the Dellow collection but to me the most impressive was the dissection of what Boudreau does with Anaheim after they lose an offensive draw. He basically searched for who was good or bad in that situation, found an outlier and looked at video (they forecheck two guys very aggressively). It was almost military in its analysis of tactics.

Dellow could be a very valuable guy for the Oilers to analyze tactics employed by others and whether innovations in their (the Oilers) systems are working. It’s a good day.

116. justDOit says:

And now for the question that’s on everyone’s mind: When is LT going to have Dellow on the radio tubes?

117. Henry says:

The Professor,

Thanks anyway professor. Appreciate your effort.

118. book¡je says:

I working on my resume now that I know that employment with the Oilers is a possibility from our online work.

Name: Bookjie
    Education: Phd
    Hockey Knowledge: Moderate, I liked the Foxtrack puck because it made the game easier to follow. Can someone explain icing to me again…
    Hockey Management Knowledge: I know that a two way contract has nothing to do with waiver eligibility
    Special Skills: Sarcasm
    Where do you see yourself in our organization: Behind the fern at press conferences whispering sarcastic responses to Eakins and MacT
    Additional Information: I can’t be worse for the organization than Tambellini

119. wheatnoil says:

Damn it… I wrote a post and then saw DMW’s post, basically saying what I was saying but better and with more racism. Oh well, I’ll post what I was going to say anyways… but basically: what DMW said.

B S:
    justDOit,

Thing is, Dellow’s position is as a ‘consultant’. He only has power in as far as his ability to persuade and convince the people with actual power: MacT and Eakins. This is not the same thing as a twitter battle. Dellow is going into this knowing that he needs to convince his bosses of his opinion. I’m not on twitter, and I don’t know Dellow personally, but I’ve seen some of his interactions in blog comment sections and a few twitter battles… I can see how at times he could rub some people the wrong way. However, when he writes his articles, he does so starting from the ground up, making a strong case with back-up material and occasionally long introductions to catch people up who may not know the background work for his articles.

Again, I don’t know him personally, but it seems to me that even if Dellow is an ass, he’s no fool. He knows he needs to convince his bosses in order to have any power. Clearly he already knows how to convince him… they hired him! So I’m not worried about his ability to influence the room.

Also… from McCurdy’s recent article about Eakins at the Cowboys training camp: “One of the first things [Eakins] said to me is, he sat in a lot of the different meetings and he said ‘There’s unbelievable diversity on your staff — old guys, young guys, guys who have come from different places. Different philosophies, different coaching and teaching styles.’ We have done that, whether it’s very, very consciously in every decision, I don’t know if that’s the case, but I do believe that’s important. You want to be able to reach the players and touch the players a lot of different ways. If I tried to hire everybody who was exactly like me, that would be a really, really bad thing. If we tried to hire everybody who was exactly like some model, that would be a bad thing. You want to have guys who have different personalities and somehow touch the guys differently. I think we’ve done that. It was interesting to me that he recognized that.”
    — Dallas Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett

More dissent in the room can be a good thing if it’s handled right. I remember a few articles in the not so distant past talking about the effect of the potential ‘groupthink’ in the Oilers organization (I think Willis wrote it, but I can’t quite remember). Hiring guys like Ramsay at the coaching level and Dellow at the organizational level helps decrease that.

120. B S says:

I just got quoted by DMW, I’m so giddy I still haven’t noticed him tear me apart.
    Deadman Waiting,

Dellow’s eventual (long term) success will be based on how effective his ideas are at improving the team, in whatever capacity they use him. How much pull and rope he gets will be based on how receptive members of the organization are to his ideas, i.e. how much they use his analytics to form strategies. Acceptance of his work within the organization (short term) will be based on how well he gets others to listen and convinces them. He will need to do this through explanation (which he has done before, including to members of the Oilers) not just saying to look at the numbers (a common fallback among ‘stats-guys’, mostly resulting from the shallowness of twitter communication in general). Loud, terse confrontation won’t work http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20140521-the-best-way-to-win-an-argument.

Dellow clearly has the interest and ear of Eakins, some of the players, and possible the GM, but there will also be a lot of “trades people” to borrow an analogy from above by Bohologo, who can benefit from his work, won’t take the numbers for granted, and may be less receptive to a change in how they do their job.

121. Deadman Waiting says:

Frank The Dog:

I’ve worked with many people who drove me nuts without me ever doubting their competence. In Eakins’ world a glass half full is a worthless encumbrance. Assistants tend to kvetch a bit during the phase where the floor is covered with broken glass bleeding Irish whiskey. I don’t know what this proves, other than that our former assistant coaches had a pulse.

122. Marc says:

Two observations:

* Though he did so in quite restrained terms (compared to the Tambo days), Tyler spent much of the year pointing out that Eakins was doing something terribly wrong in how he handled Hall. If it’s true that Eakins was the prime mover behind the hire, it speaks very well of him. Most people don’t like criticism, even constructive criticism, so it speaks very well of Eakins if he’s actively seeking out someone who has made a detailed critique of his work to see if he can learn something, and actually hires him to add that perspective on a permanent basis.

* It’s interesting that both Tyler and Eric T have been snapped up by NHL teams this summer. Both have them have been doing a lot of work on zone entries and exits in the last year or so. I think Bob Mackenzie tweeted a couple of weeks ago that some NHL teams have more sophisticated proprietary possession stats than corsi and fenwick. If that’s the case then those teams might not see much value in bloggers who mainly play around with Behindthenet or Extraskater numbers for their analysis.

The hiring of both Eric and Tyler suggests that at least some teams see the zone entry work as a different story, and a potentially valuable one. The fact that the Oilers appear to have bought the rights to Tyler’s previous blog analysis and are treating it as private proprietary information now further suggests that they think there may be something there, and don’t want other teams to have access to it.

Statistically oriented fans may want to pay particular attention to zone entries and exits in the coming seasons, because that might be where the cutting edge stats work is being done.

123. Магия 10 says:

RexLibris: Rumour is he’s reporting directly to Eakins, so that would assume that he will be involved in deployment and strategy rather than primarily in terms of acquisition

Probably reporting directly to a happier Taylor Hall:

“but the thing for a hockey player, if you’re an advanced stat guy and you’re describing to a hockey player, you have to have like some kind of end point. Like, what does he have to do better to get this stat better. That’s the thing that I’m lost on, with Corsi and Fenwick and all this stuff, how do you improve a player by it, what do you tell him?”

Not dumping the puck when carrying is the better bet was the specific answer here and possibly the ticket for Dellow. Smart of Eakins to embrace rather than block Dellow.

124. Jordan says:

book¡je:

Name: Bookjie
    Education: Phd
    Hockey Knowledge: Moderate, I liked the Foxtrack puck because it made the game easier to follow.Can someone explain icing to me again…
    Hockey Management Knowledge:I know that a two way contract has nothing to do with waiver eligibility
    Special Skills: Sarcasm
    Additional Information: I can’t be worse for the organization than Tambellini

As someone who works in HR, can I suggest you tailor your resume to values this organization holds, and the role you want to be working in.

If you want a job preparing witty quips for the media, then provide samples of your work, to show that you’re witty and fast on your feet/feed. Don’t talk about the organization’s past mistakes as a reason to hire you. It connects you to the mistake, and your image gets shit on for it.

Considering the value this team puts on hockey success, you might try including your novice/peewee/midget hockey awards and titles, especially if they include “best in lockerroom banter”, “most improved agitator”, or “Least valuable player on championship team still makes me a winner”.

Finally, be sure your friends and references are there to support you. If there’s specific items you want your references to bring up, ask them too. Use anecdotes to show your character. And if that doesn’t get you the job…. then just go marry Katz’s son and get to play on the team anyways. People seem to forget that the upside to having gay marriage in Canada is you can be a gold digger trophy wife too!

125. gvblackhawk says:

Invalid Username:

Art Vandalay, why did you change your name?

126. VanOil says:

One of the most interesting comments I have read about this appointment was from a user named Fred at Puck Daddy. http://goo.gl/w2EmLS

His concerns were ‘Pouliot makes to much money’ which in hind sight is obviously Dellow’s fault and that player’s will start gaming the system and shooting from anywhere in order to ‘pay the bills’.

I hope he is right. Gaming the system by having more shots than the other team and possibly the puck in the opposing teams end more seems like a fine idea to me.

127. wheatnoil says:

gvblackhawk: Art Vandalay, why did you change your name?

“Hi Invalid!” doesn’t have the same ring to it.

128. justDOit says:

wheatnoil,

in·va·lid
    ˈinvəlid/
    noun
    1. a person made weak or disabled by illness or injury.
    “an invalid husband”
    synonyms: ill person, sick person, valetudinarian; More

129. B S says:

wheatnoil,

Thanks for the response, and I agree with pretty much all you said, I do think Dellows has earned this and I expect him to make good on the opportunity. Some explanation for the VOR discussion because it was important to me from a hockey analytics point of view.

p-value is the probability that your trends are due to chance (as a basic explanation). if p-value is less than a threshold (usually 5% or 0.05) we can be confident that the trend isn’t just from random sampling error. Another way to think about it is if you don’t have a p-value less than 0.05 it is possible, or even likely that your trend (say Hall dumping vs Hall carrying the puck) is just due to random chance, and would not be expected to occur with more substantial sampling (i.e. no difference in the future). As a person with some statistics background, I couldn’t be confident in Dellow’s analysis without these and other statistical values.

Without this the numbers and analysis Dellow posted are effectively uninformative. VOR called Dellow out on this on LT’s site some time ago. Dellow’s response to what is one of the most basic and key questions of statistical analysis was abrasive and rather ad hominem. It’s one thing to be an ass to people who refuse to listen to your statistics (prime e.g. being Spector or Simmons), it’s another when it is a genuine question about his statistical argument.

Dellow ended up providing the necessary stats, which he apparently keeps track of, showing that his position was statistically significant and that you could in fact be confident that there was a difference in possession when Hall dumped vs when he carried.

130. Pouzar says:

From someone who doesn’t follow TD on twitter or has read less that 10 articles on his site…….I’ve listened to countless interviews with the guy and the last thing I would call him is opinionated or condescending. Maybe the written word (mc79hockey) and battling entitled media types (twitter) can bring out the worst in anyone. To me he seems almost robotic in his live phone interviews. Just delivering the goods and letting them stand on their own merit.

131. Deadman Waiting says:

knighttown:
    Unlike an ex-NHL star who might get chance after chance, Tyler will likely only get this one. He’ll have to prove he’s the absolute best of the basement bloggers and will have to bring way more than the ex players looking to make a name.

I don’t think you get it. Analytics is here to stay. Huffing and puffing of The Man has nothing to do with it. This has long been a foregone conclusion. It’s not driven by culture. It’s driven by information. As more detailed game logs become widely available, the analysis follows suit. It’s only a question of timing when it finally breaks through once and for all. If there is competitive value in the richer flow of information, every team must ultimately exploit this value, or sacrifice a competitive edge. Law of the jungle.

Even teams that are behind the ball exploiting this information within their own decision processes (maybe they have particularly robust human systems) still need to model the behaviour of their competitors in the open market. If those competitors are taking advice from Dellow—or his twin brother Mellow—you need to know what’s being whispered into their ears, to better anticipate how the dominoes fall.

Certainly Dellow can shoot himself in the foot, but this is not the fragile beginning of a fragile thing, it’s the fragile beginning of a permanent thing. Every team in the league is facing the Tarzan problem: when to let go of the proven rope and trust to the fresh vine.

The new CBA has only accelerated matters. Players can still be evaluated on experience and gut instinct, but the costs imposed by making a particular roster move have become extraordinarily abstract. Is your team going to bind up against the cap or the contract limit under any future permutation of setbacks, breakthroughs, injuries, and/or petulance?

What’s a bishop worth on a backgammon board?

How many old-timers can answer to that?

Even in the worst case scenario Dellow is not a lark, he’s a necessary evil. The (smart) team isn’t choosing between an abrasive devil and no devil, it’s choosing between an abrasive devil, an unctuous devil, and Harold Ballard’s devil-free retirement home. Eventually you do have to let go of the old rope. A fresh vine causes fresh blisters. Only an idiot blames the vine, unless the vine is a stinging nettle. Merely abrasive won’t get him fired on day one.

An unctuous vine has its own pitfalls.

132. Soup Fascist says:

Deadman Waiting: ?

Even in the worst case scenario Dellow is not a lark, he’s a necessary evil.The (smart) team isn’t choosing between an abrasive devil and no devil, it’s choosing between an abrasive devil, an unctuous devil, and Harold Ballard’s devil-free retirement home.Eventually you do have to let go of the old rope.A fresh vine causes fresh blisters.Only an idiot blames the vine, unless the vine is a stinging nettle.Merely abrasive won’t get him fired on day one.

An unctuous vine has its own pitfalls.

A request to Lowetide followers: Raise your hand if you googled “unctuous”.

Yup …. Me too.

133. B S says:

Pouzar,

I haven’t heard him live, nor have I read his articles in the last two years (except for a couple oft cited ones like the Taylor Hall article). My view of him has come from comment sections primarily, and what he was writing a few years ago.

Two things to bear in mind with internet persona vs real life (I don’t mean he was playing a fake person, just how he appears in one versus the other). First, 140 characters leaves very little room for explanation and information, and comment sections rarely warrant long essays so explanations of why he thought he was right were often shallow and unsatisfactory. Second, the written word doesn’t lend itself well to conveying emotion and tone, and humans tend to interpret as much information from the tone as we do from the actual prose (see sarcasm example at the top of the comments).

Our (yes all of us) interpretation of Dellow’s writing tone was based on the vocabulary he used and usually based on the lack of pleasantries and humility he included in his writing. This didn’t mean that Dellow was a mean guy, he just didn’t bother to include superfluous words to convey his meaning. The outcome for me, and at least some others, is that his writing appears condescending and uncompromising.

134. B S says:

Deadman Waiting,

If the vine is labelled as stinging nettle, then it’s still the idiot’s fault.

135. russ99 says:

Very happy for Dellow, but I’m kinda bummed. Who else is going to show us how Eakins is being a dunderhead with empirical yet easy to follow evidence including gifs?

136. gr8one says:

Dellow definitely was an acquired taste for me, when I first started seeing his posts and tweets I thought he was a condescending jerk. But then the more I followed him the more I realized he just had a low tolerance for stupidity and had a knack for showing people up for being stupid.

He also seemed to evolve and mature along with the analytics he was providing and definitely became less aggressive and more tactful in how he handled people. At least that’s how it seemed to me.

Anyways, glorious news, I’m giddy.

137. Racki says:

gr8one:

Anyways, glorious news, I’m giddy.

I’ve kind of been off and on when it came to advanced stats. I believe they are great at telling the story about something that you don’t have enough resources to actually watch. I still think your eyeballs are the best for a single viewing, but the advanced stats are a generally good summation of an entire season or even career. I think a bit of each (analysing by stats and analysing by eye) is important. I’m a bit of a convert, you might say, but not 100% a devoted zealot as some are here ;)

As far as Dellow, I thought he was a jacka– to a lot of people. Perhaps many deserving, but not always the case. But I did notice a change in more recent times in which he stopped kicking the team in the nuts. I assume that became the case when he started to get the feeling he might be hired. I don’t know.

Anyways, whether I’m a big stat-whore or not, I think this is good for the team. You Statzis seem to worship this guy more than anyone. I think if you had a chance at meeting either one of Tyler Dellow or Scarlett Johansson (and only one option) a disturbing amount of you would choose Dellow. Freaks :P But anyways, my point is, obviously he’s quite respected amongst those who worship the Corsi. So it seems like the Oilers are making some great choices in the names they’ve been bringing in lately.

Sounds like he will replace Steve Smith as the video guy (ironic, given his handle here). I didn’t really read his blog (see above where I found him far too abrasive for my liking), but it seems that was his pride and joy over there.. so I’m sure he’ll do wonders for the team.

Anyways, if you’re listening, Tyler, sorry to beat up on you here. Not fair of me to do that when you obviously can’t defend yourself, so in closing, I will say a sincere congratulations on the hire with the Oilers. You are definitely living the dream. I wish you loads of success, because your success spills over to my favorite team. And because clearly your charisma is in need of serious repair. :P

P.S., completely unrelated note.. I saw Joey Moss out shopping for glasses today. Wish I could have gone up to him and got a pic with him. Who doesn’t adore Joey? Would have been a great moment. Did not want to bother him while he was out enjoying his day off though.

Wow. That Spector piece got pulled? That’s a rare item. Suspect it would have drawn less attention if they’d left it. I see Robin Brownlee has it linked at ON and an article on it as well.

139. G Money says:

Racki: I think if you had a chance at meeting either one of Tyler Dellow or Scarlett Johansson (and only one option) a disturbing amount of you would choose Dellow.

Only the women. Both of them.

Otherwise … No.

I think everyone should just calm down and watch the games.

141. Frank The Dog says:

Deadman Waiting: You also need to call to the stand the dog who didn’t bark in the night—the angelic assistant coaching staff mired in a drain-plug franchise who never once, over an entire season, barked off their superiors behind their backs.

I’ve worked with many people who drove me nuts without me ever doubting their competence.In Eakins’ world a glass half full is a worthless encumbrance.Assistants tend to kvetch a bit during the phase where the floor is covered with broken glass bleeding Irish whiskey.I don’t know what this proves, other than that our former assistant coaches had a pulse.

Hi DMW,
    The point being is that there is a world of difference between having a support you because they want to, and one that does that because they have to, let alone ones that are incompetent political appointees.
    In plain vernacular, you appear to propose that venting is both normal and harmeless, and that spineless silence in the face of wrongdoing is an equal or greater evil.
    First of all, there is a line to be crossed between professional and unprofessional behaviour. Sharing frustrations to close friends or one’s better half is one thing, influencing others in a negative manner except in exceptional circumstances of wrongdoing or incompetence is something else, which I suggest is south of the equator of acceptability.
    Nor do I feel that spineless acquiescence and backstabbing are mutually exclusive. All to often passive aggression involves both, simultaneously, and collectively, can devastate an organization.

Let’s look at this a bit differently: I would suggest that things started falling apart in 2008, when Tambellini came in as GM. That was also MacT’s last, and one of his worst years as coach. iirc MacT stated that there was nothing further he could do with that roster, he had tried everything he could think of, and Tambo let him go shortly thereafter. At the end of last season, the following people were still in their respective roles on the team: Katz; Lowe; Kelly B; Sam G. The other constant from 2008-2013/4 was varying levels of suck. MacT went, Quinn, Renney, and Krueger arrived and went, and Eakins arrived. The HC’s were not the constant in the suckage.
    We can blame Katz and Lowe, but neither is likely to be swapped out any time soon.
    Kelly’s bio claimed an equal number of wins and losses at Springfield; in fact the record under Bucky didn’t look like .500 to me, more that they did not treat overtime losses as losses. Todd Nelson subsequently put together a somewhat better record, under Tambo. One of his positive accomplishments. The final constant was Sam G. Granted his poor play dragged the team down, just as his broken jaw dragged Sam down.
    The fact that Tambellini ruined the roster is well documented. However the role of the Assistant coach on Offense, and the 2010-2013 Assistant Coach on Defense, has received similarly scant attention. To what degree that was due to the incompetence of the Mutt and Jeff of the Assistant Coach world, is up for debate. That the former was one of very few constants in the suckage is a matter of record.
    Having said that, the existence of a house on a dangerous curve on a fast road, and therefore present for every fatality, does not mean the house cause the crashes, however the record will always show that both the offense and defense floundered under the watch of those two Assistants. One can debate the impact of an incompetent roster on the team, and that point is valid, however it seems to me that whose who improved did so in spite of the Assistants not because of them.
    Kelly had some coaching experience, with, at best, modest success – from appalling to terrible, I suppose.
    But none of that is the point I was making. My point was simply to put forward a scenario that may have happened in the past that could have contributed to different behaviour from Eakins between last season and next. There is a world of difference between inheriting a pair of political appointees of dubious competence, and being able to hand pick the people you wish to have at your side when you are to enter the fray of a hockey season.
    Kudos to MacT for his roster moves, and for his management of Eakins, and to Eakins for the quality of team he has assembled to date. I doubt he will fail and suspect he may well surprise us in a positive manner for a change. We’ll see!
    Cheers!

142. striatic says:

Frank The Dog: Kelly’s bio claimed an equal number of wins and losses at Springfield; in fact the record under Bucky didn’t look like .500 to me, more that they did not treat overtime losses as losses.

Yes, Bucky wasn’t truly .500 as an AHL coach when you consider OTLs.

On the other hand, he posted the best win/loss record that team had in years, in a truly dysfunctional AHL arrangement. It was his first year as an HC.

I think that calling him a .500 AHL coach is fine, considering the circumstances. Bucky showed aptitude in a bad situation, relative to his predecessors. If he was a political appointee, he did at least do better work with that AHL squad than the presumably non-political appointees that came before him.

143. Pouzar says:

Have to think that the Dellow hiring is at least a terrific hedge against some of the awful pro scouting that has been goin on over the years.

144. Spartacus says:

145. Jujhar says:

How old is Tyler?

146. Mr DeBakey says:

Spartacus: Shouldn’t the heading have been something like, “Sail on, Bay Street Barrister”?

Fort St John Flyer

147. maudite says:

You should read the Edmonton Sun sports section today. An even more spiteful article was slid into it.

148. Lois Lowe says:

maudite,

Wow. It’s like that post was written in 2006 or something, I thought we were past the “hockey is too fluid of a game” argument now. I also like the part where he says that stats guys don’t watch the games.

149. maudite says:

Lois Lowe,

Yeah, it’s mind numbingly obtuse. Funny, but seemed so left field a defense of underutilizing any tools that might provide further insight. Like the clip in money ball with the scouts talking about “ugly girlfriend” type stupidity.

I guess the best defense is stat hating MSM derive all opinions about stats related analysis off here-say and 140 character limited tweets. Who could be bothered to look at actual analysis conducted with watching zone entries and such over and over again to a level unimagined by “old school” types. Cause it’s all about CORSI! Those guys don’t watch nothing! Just keep talking about these CORSI thing-a-ma-bobs….

It made me laugh.

150. bendelson says:

Quite the article!
    Time to add Tychkowski to the list…

I had no idea the local MSM would be this threatened by the hire.
    Circle the wagons boys!

151. VanOil says:

I am thrilled by the coaching decisions the Oilers are making this off season. When Eakin’s claimed he told the players during the exit interviews he would leave no stone un-turned to get better this summer I rolled my eyes. But he has delivered.

Lost in the MSM old boys questioning Dellow’s ability to get along, is that Eakin’s is building a structure for him to thrive.

First, Eakin’s got rid of the dead wood. Addition by subtraction.

Second he added a veteran presence that he likes and respects in Ramsay.

Then he brought in youth and energy with Rocky Thompson to provide a familiar face for the kids coming up and an eye in the sky.

After that he sought out brains and out of the hockey box thinking in Dellow. What Dellow should be able to produce with NHL tools, back and forth communication with the Coaching staff and the IT support his website often demonstrated he needed should be great.

Finally, Eakins went to the NFL and NCAA football coaches to find out how to manage such a large and diverse staff. Who cares if Dellow and Eakins become BFFs as long as say there is open frequent communication between say Dellow and Thompson.

Add this to Nelson staying in OKC the Oilers future is brighter than the gaping hole at 2nd line Center and likely 9th year out of the playoffs suggest.

152. sephF says:

Very cool news. It’s sad that his blog got shut down but I can understand why.

It would be nice if parts of it could be resurrected but I’m sure he has more important things to worry about now.

Great day for Oilers fans, great summer for the analytic community.

Good luck Dellow, you’ll do great.

153. spoiler says:

Congratulations to Mudcrutch!

There was a lot of hard work and intelligence that went into his posts, all outside of his regular employment. From posting at Oilfans, to here, to his own blog and now The Show, he has come a long way. It’s great to see his efforts pay off, and it’s a tremendous achievement for the Hockey Statosphere too.

What a summer for fancy stats… they’ve finally grown up and debuted at the fancy dress ball and are now the belle of the soiree.

154. spoiler says:

Now can we send Pat over to Tyler’s house and have him take a non-homicidal pic? Although that photo above is probably perfect for LinkedIn.