THE BIG MAN KHAIRA

Jujhar Khaira turned 20 a couple of weeks ago, and is 6.03, 210 according to the AHL’s website. As we continue our look at training camp and players who could emerge in new roles, I’ve been thinking about Khaira as that ‘tough zone start’ winger for Boyd Gordon’s line. It’s an area of need, and Khaira is already physically strong enough to compete at the pro level.

I’ve suggested in several posts the worry about Khaira will be offensive. If he were to fill that defensive role with Gordon (and perhaps Matt Hendricks), offense wouldn’t be a massive issue. It’s also important to place the offensive abilities of the young man into perspective.

SILVERTIPS’ GOAL DIFFERENTIAL, BY DISCIPLINE

• 2013-14 Everett Silvertips TOTAL GF-GA: 218-206 (+12)
  • 2013-14 Everett Silvertips EVEN-STRENGTH GF-GA: 147-156 (-9)
  • What does that tell us? The Silvertips were delivering +21 on special teams, and that obscured their EV deficiencies.

KHAIRA EVEN-STRENGH PERFORMANCE

PPG NAME (LEAGUE) GP PTS ONGF ONGA DIF
.440 JUJHAR KHAIRA 59 26 41 36 +5

Interesting stuff here. Everett scored 2.04 EV goals a game and close to one a game on the power play (67 PP goals in 72 games). For comparison, Leon Draisaitl’s PA Raiders—no screaming hell to be clear—scored the same number of power-play goals as Everett, but 2.34 EV goals per game. The ‘Tips were a good defensive team, but it appears they sacrificed offense (or couldn’t score) at evens in order to keep the GA down.

What does this mean? Khaira’s offense may spike on a more gifted team, we know Constantine likes his button down style. Using the McKeen’s CHL information, I thought it might be worthwhile to list the EV scoring (forwards) for Everett last season:

1. Josh Winquist 67GP, 28-28-56
  2. Manraj Hayer 54GP, 12-19-31
  3. Carson Stadnyk 72GP, 19-10-29
  4. Jujhar Khaira 59GP, 9-17-26
  5. Ivan Nikolishin 72GP, 9-17-26
  6. Tyler Sandhu 49GP, 10-14-24
  7. Dawson Leedahl 70GP, 5-18-23

Khaira isn’t a monster offensive scorer, but there’s only one impact player on the entire team at 5×5 (Winquist, now a Baron). Let’s have a look at power-play scoring on the Everett team from 2013-14 (forwards):

1. Josh Winquist 67GP, 15-18-33
  2. Ivan Nikolishin 72GP, 9-24-33
  3. Jujhar Khaira 59GP, 7-10-17
  4. Kohl Bauml 65GP, 7-5-12

Once again, Khaira isn’t at the top of the list, but did impact the power play. I think it’s wise to send him to OKC for a season or two, but it’s also true the candidates for that 4line winger job aren’t exactly a murderer’s row. If Khaira outperforms Tyler Pitlick, Iiro Pakarinen, Luke Gazdic and Steve Pinizzotto, will the Oilers keep him?

Khaira photo by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved

44 Responses to "THE BIG MAN KHAIRA"

1. Ducey says:

Isn’t Lander a prime candidate for that 4th line winger spot? I think he would be my choice.

That gives you 3 C’s on the 4th line. Plus Lander can PK and maybe even hang out on the PP a little. He can also move up a line or two if need be.

No need to force tough minutes on Kharia just yet.

2. Ryan says:

Allan, you just killed my open question with this new post :)

Ok, to reiterate my last comment. If fen close is, in fact, predictive of playoff success… Would there be any value of filtering fen close (and other team stats) for teams that made the playoffs the prior year?

I.e. For a team like the Oilers, the cumulative fen close vs teams that made the playoffs the prior season should in theory magnify how far behind they are…

For teams that actually made the playoffs last season, how predictive would their ultimate playoff success be if their cumulative fen close that season was filtered to only include against teams that made the playoffs the previous season?

3. Melman says:

For no particular reason JJ (the non-Finn version) is one of the prospects I’m pulling for. If we agree we don’t care about offense for Gordon’s LW that’s a wide open race, especially with Gazdic on IR to start and JJ Finn’s awful showing last season. However, I’d rather they plug him in the C role in OKC and let him develop there for a couple seasons as in the long run I think that’s more beneficial than the marginal upgrade Khaira MAY be over the other candidates for that spot. Plan on him to step in for Gordon when his 3 years is up…because man oh man will Gordon be tired at the end of that contract!

4. slopitch says:

If he’s truely legit, he should be making some serious noise in OKC come the 40 game mark. Make him earn it.

5. Melman says:

Winquist sure jumps out – it’ll be fun to see how much he can carry forward.

Ducey:
    Isn’t Lander a prime candidate for that 4th line winger spot?I think he would be my choice.

That gives you 3 C’s on the 4th line.Plus Lander can PK and maybe even hang out on the PP a little.He can also move up a line or two if need be.

No need to force tough minutes on Kharia just yet.

I think Lander spends quite a bit of time at center.

7. Ducey says:

Ok. Now I am really confused.

Won’t C be Nuge, Das Saitl, Arco and Boyd?

Ducey:

Ok.Now I am really confused.

Won’t C be Nuge, Das Saitl, Arco and Boyd?

Not all year. There will be injuries and slumps and God knows what else. That’s why Edmonton’s lack of depth is so vile.

9. Mr DeBakey says:

Pakarinen, ain’t gettin’ enough respect hereabouts.
    Look for #81 on the opening night roster.
    Order your jersey before the flood.

10. Ryan says:

Ducey,

The size and ES scoring suggest that the dry saddle (I am half German btw), should be a capable soft minutes killer… But injuries should open a spot for lander…

Mr DeBakey:

Pakarinen, ain’t gettin’ enough respect hereabouts.
    Look for #81 on the opening night roster.
    Order your jersey before the flood.

Love the Finns!!!

Khaira in the NHL this year would be repeating the Lander fiasco. Plus, you are then also ruining the likely replacement for Gordon.

Let Khaira play in OKC, and lets see what he can bring doing everything, which is what Nelson will let him do. EV with wingers who can score, PP, PK.

If he lights it up 40 games in, okay. But let him prove he is too good for the AHL first, and let us see what he can do offensively in the AHL first.

Ryan:
    Allan, you just killed my open question with this new post

Ok, to reiterate my last comment.If fen close is, in fact, predictive of playoff success… Would there be any value of filtering fen close (and other team stats) for teams that made the playoffs the prior year?

I.e.For a team like the Oilers, the cumulative fen close vs teams that made the playoffs the prior season should in theory magnify how far behind they are…

It would be predictive if all the variables remained the same.

Oilers added some Actual NHL players, which will help.

They hired a fancystats focused analyst who has the coach’s ear, which will help.

The Head Coach hired a previously successful NHL Head Coach who got Atlanta to be a 50%CF team, which will help.

We have a Head Coach who should be much more humble, and who has a year experience with these players, which will help.

We have players who will have the same Head Coach in a 2nd consecutive year for the first time in 3 years, which will help.

Lots of changes so old information may not yield accurate predictions.

Then you have to account for all the changes made by the other teams…….

14. jp says:

Aside form playing for Constantine and not scoring much, is there any evidence that Khaira is actually solid defensively (anecdotal or otherwise)? Iirc he was noted as poor/raw defensively in his draft year scouting reports. Maybe I missed some in season or OKC updates on his play?

15. RexLibris says:

Re-post from the last article, the second installment of my Flames RE (forwards) is up, if you are interested:

16. hunter1909 says:

Khaira’s flat out, a potentially blue chip prospect.
    If he avoids injury he’s practically a can’t miss prospect already.

Hangovers aren’t fun.

Just saw Draisaitl’s highlight reel and he plays like freaking Beliveau. Yakupov’s going to be Leon’s Richard.

Lowe’s winners just got the draft lottery rules rewritten, lol.

Discussing stats re icing looks easy enough – Oilers were 25th or worse in each direction. You can remember the endless beatings they took from older teams, just by reading the 1-30

17. hunter1909 says:

RexLibris: Setoguchi changes things and I think I’ll try and take a look at it later this week, but I think his addition might move the Flames out of the bottom three in the league.

He’s a Patrick OSullivan type fringe player now. If anything they get a better shot at the big two.

jp:

Khaira was the only graduating junior that Nelson played in the playoffs last year who he was not ordered to. play. He pushed Ewanyk to wing in the playoffs, while he played centre, on the 4th line, which is Nelson’s checking line (2 checkers and a goon). You know, the coach who people keep accusing (falsely) of not playing prospects.

RexLibris:

Then it was a truly awful signing.

20. RexLibris says:

hunter1909,

He had a horrible season last year where his sh% sunk to 5.2% or thereabouts, from a career range of 11%.

His other underlying numbers have never been terribly strong, but he is a decent 3rd line winger and he keeps one of their kids on the farm if he does his job well enough.

Given the Flames 1st pairing defense and the addition of Hiller, I think they may be able to stay in some games longer than people expect this season. They’re still giving up the high ground by way of talent almost every night, but they’ve got some nice pieces here and there.

21. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Then it was a truly awful signing.

I don’t know.

It adds depth on the wing and puts a hurdle in front of their prospects, something I think many of us wish Tambellini had done. We are all grateful now for the fruits of those painful days, but the addition seems worthwhile.

Besides, from the perspective of an Oilers’ fan, which would you rather see, Connor McDavid sporting the Flaming C (I think I just made myself sick) or another 5th overall pick in YYC?

I know my answer.

22. Rube Foster says:

Are we writing the Finnish JJ off?
    I believe we all saw the big Finn good in the preseason last year, before the injuries derailed his season.
    Joensuu doesn’t appear to be the top six power forward that we all so desperately crave, but is it such a stretch to see him play an effective role on the bottom six forwards if he can stay healthy? Granted that is a BIG if.
    Is it such a stretch to think that healthy 27 year old Joensuu should/could be able to play a bigger and stronger game than a 20 year old Kharira?
    I think JJ the Finn might look very good playing with Gordon and Hendricks.
    I hope they let Khaira marinate in the AHL and tap into that dormant offense that LT thinks may be bubbling under the surface.
    Joensuu is clearly not Tony Perez but may be he could be David Segui? It won’t cost anything to find out.

RexLibris: I don’t know.

I know my answer.

24. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: I understand the idea of acquiring him for nothing, having him score 15 and then dealing him at the deadline, but if the Flames draft fourth this season they have absolutely lost the script.

Do you hear me complaining? :)

25. Jordan says:

Khaira is Gordon’s replacement. Let him play big minutes AT CENTRE in the AHL. Keep him AT CENTRE. He’s good there. Don’t place him on the wing

BIG MEAN DEFENSIVE CENTRE>BIG MEAN DEFENSIVE WINGER

26. Ryan says:

Greg btw, this is me not Jordan per WG.

27. Ca$h-Money! says:

Rube Foster,

Rube Foster:
    Are we writing the Finnish JJ off?
    I think JJ the Finn might look very good playing with Gordon and Hendricks.

There is a reasonable bet here. The big man hurt his back early; in my book that’s the worst kind of injury for a power forward, worse than concussion a lot of the time. Their game is based on raw power, and a bad back turns the fiercest lion into the meekest kitten.

It’s a long shot, granted, but there is a chance pre season JJ shows up ready to play. That would be wonderful… But it’s even more wonderful that he really doesn’t have to.

28. wheatnoil says:

godot10:
    Khaira in the NHL this year would be repeating the Lander fiasco.Plus, you are then also ruining the likely replacement for Gordon.

I see little reason to push Khaira to the NHL in his first pro season.

However, for what it’s worth, I think the sin with Lander was not with letting him start the year in the NHL, but rather with not sending him down when he was clearly in over his head. An argument can be made that Lander won the 4C job ahead of someone like Brule in training camp. He just shouldn’t have stayed the season there when he struggled.

29. wheatnoil says:

RexLibris: I don’t know.

30. RexLibris says:

wheatnoil: I think the situation with maximum hilarity would be the Flames finishing second last, but then having a team from the Eastern Conference winning the draft lottery and bumping the Flames down to 3rd, missing out on both McDavid and Eichel.

Maximum hilarity?

Gotta go with a Kessel scenario.

Normally I’d fall back on a Feaster/O’Reilly boondoggle, but that isn’t likely to happen again.

31. RexLibris says:

The 2010 Oilers rookie camp roster

Well.

I thought this would depress me because I’d be going back to those rose-coloured days when the team seemed to be picking up young talent like a sponge and the rewards were just over the next hill.

Then you go and throw Pelss in there.

Maybe I was pulling for Kulda so much because I was hoping he could expiate some of the sorrow of that young man’s departure.

I was, and in some ways still am, a huge fan of Pelss. I watched him play from his first season with the Oil Kings and his give-a-crap-meter had only one setting. Loved him.

If stuff like this brings up the emotions in me, I can’t imagine how his family feels.

32. wheatnoil says:

RexLibris: Maximum hilarity?

Gotta go with a Kessel scenario.

They could always offer-sheet Schultz for $7 x 7.

33. Bank Shot says:

Defensive team or not, Khaira was 19 playing in junior hockey and his production was pretty abysmal.

His season was pretty comparable offensively to Stortini as 19 year old and Stortini played on a lower scoring team and probably a better league as some of the 19 year olds that would have been in the NHL were stuck there due to the lockout.

That doesn’t give me much hope that Khaira would ever be more then a 10-15 point guy at the NHL level and it seems really doubtful that he would be ready for NHL duty anytime this year.

34. PaperDesigner says:

Bank Shot:

There is a massive caveat to this though; Khaira’s college offensive numbers were actually pretty good. Substantially better than his junior numbers when run through NHLE, if I recall correctly. As a result, there is actually good reason to think it might have had a lot to do with usage/system/opportunity. Khaira may have been given the Boyd Gordon situation.

Or maybe he just regressed as a prospect. I think more than any other player in the system, Khaira screams “needs more information!” Frankly, with him, we simply don’t know. Biggest wildcard in the system by a mile, IMO.

35. Hammers says:

LT please tell me I’m wrong in interpreting the above as surely you must meen Khairi as a potential winger for Gordons line NEXT YEAR not this . Yesterday it was Pitlick ! . On top of that your not 100% on board for Leon who is obviously so far ahead of Khairi he lapped him already . I find this assumption very confusing as if there is one guy who needs 2 years in OKL its Khairi . Yak 2 has a better shot at getting NHL games this coming season . Please explainif you think he has a shot this year as I just don’t see it.

36. Bruce McCurdy says:

hunter1909: The math rush is really entertaining; Romulusapothecarus uses colours, which I like a lot. Easier for a hungover slob like myself to focus on. He also has a killer ear for jazz music.

I love colour coding as a tool myself, adds a whole extra dimension to an information tableau. As for jazz, I love it & am learning more about what to love by listening to Rom’s posts. :)

Hammers:

lol. I don’t really believe Khaira will play wing this year, and I do think Leon will score 30-40 points. I’m just blue-skying ideas as we head to training camp. If you look at the RE series, that’s what I believe. These posts are just ‘rain-delay’ chats between friends. :-)

38. Ca$h-Money! says:

Hammers,

I think the criticism of the content is out of context. LT writes this article in June I’m a little worried about his mental health. In late August blue skying is completely forgiveable; LT, I for one am just amazed you still manage to pump out daily content at this low point in the news cycle. Kudos.

39. rickithebear says:

Lowetide: I think Lander spends quite a bit of time at center.

age 22 -23 last 3 AHL seasons

Morin 22yr 1.00 PPG
    Pirri 22 1.00 PPG
    Maroon 23yr .99 PPG
    Brennan 23yr .97 PPG
    Kadri 22yr .97 PPG

Good Chance?

People who have only seen Lander in the NHL tend to sell him short. People who have followed him in the SHL/AHL tend to oversell him. The new season should provide some clarity on this player.

41. Romulus Apotheosis says:

This is the highest kind of compliment I think a Lowetider can get: A kind word from Hunter.

Next DMW will torch my syntax and clarity. That’s when you know you’ve made it! ;)

——
    thanks Hunter. appreciate it.

42. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bruce McCurdy: I love colour coding as a tool myself, adds a whole extra dimension to an information tableau. As for jazz, I love it & am learning more about what to love by listening to Rom’s posts.

You too!

Always good to hear people bother to listen to the music.

ps. Picked up a copy of “Country Life” (UK pressing) in perfect shape for $2 today. what a find!

43. Lynas1 says:

Jordan:
    Khaira is Gordon’s replacement.Let him play big minutes AT CENTRE in the AHL.Keep him AT CENTRE.He’s good there.Don’t place him on the wing

BIG MEAN DEFENSIVE CENTRE>BIG MEAN DEFENSIVE WINGER