THE NEW YARDBIRDS

The Oklahoma City Barons have some interesting rookies on the way for 2014-15, and I believe Bogdan Yakimov is the most likely to emerge as an NHL prospect in his first season with the Barons. Other talent that looks likely to emerge? A Finn, a college kid, and a bunch of WHL grads who will be pushing for OKC playing time and a chance to make it to the show.

OILERS PROSPECTS IN OKC (RE 14-15 BARONS FORWARDS)

NAME GP G A PTS
C BOGDAN YAKIMOV-rookie 64 22 23 45
R ANDREW MILLER 65 14 30 44
R IIRO PAKARINEN-rookie 60 17 14 31
L MITCHELL MOROZ-rookie 70 15 15 30
L CURTIS HAMILTON 60 13 15 28
C JUJHAR KHAIRA-rookie 57 7 16 23
C TRAVIS EWANYK 61 6 10 16
R MITCH HOLMBERG-rookie 35 7 7 14
L KELLEN JONES-rookie 28 3 9 12
L JOSH WINQUIST-rookie 35 7 4 11
C CONNOR JONES-rookie 28 2 8 10
L KALE KESSY 30 2 2 4

It seems to me the new hires (Yakimov, Pakarinen, Moroz and Khaira) will be more productive overall than the established group still trying to make the grade. That group is represented here by Miller, Hamilton, Ewanyk and Kessy. I’m assuming that Anton Lander and Tyler Pitlick stay in the NHL all season, but that’s far from established and should be noted here.

THE PROSPECTS IN OKLAHOMA CITY

1. Bogdan Yakimov—I think he might be the best offensive prospect since Toni Rajala, who delivered a point-per-game at age 21. Yakimov is a mountain, MacT likes him, and the KHL boxcars in less than 10 minutes a night are impressive. I don’t remember this many good offensive arrows since Rajala.
  2. Andrew Miller—He performed well after Christmas, and Miller might have a chance. It’s a long shot, but based on his AHL season in 2013-14, there might be a player here. This is certainly a better bet than hiring an AHL veteran for your skill lines.
  3. Iiro Pakarinen—Under the radar signing could end up surprising in training camp and grabbing Pitlick’s NHL job. He apparently has a good wrist shot and isn’t afraid of traffic. Complete wild card.
  4. Mitchell Moroz—A tough player to project into pro hockey, he might score 15 points all year depending on where they play him. I’m going to guess he gets regular work with a reasonable center and some time 5×4.
  5. Curtis Hamilton—Last chance Texaco, I see Hamilton getting a bit of a push in TOI but not in actual linemates. I have Ryan Hamilton and Jesse Joensuu ahead of him on LW, and Moroz in the same range. I don’t believe it’s at all clear Moroz starts the season clearly behind Hamilton, and injuries have been a factor every season for him in Oklahoma City. I’m cheering for him, but the evidence isn’t pretty.
  6. Jujhar Khaira—I think he’s the future 3C but am having a hard time finding the range for his offense. I’m going to guess he gets very little PP time but does spend some EV time with good, veteran linemates. If he lines up with Joensuu and Pinizzotto, he should have a fine year. He might spend time with the Hamiltons, too.
  7. Travis Ewanyk—The concern for Moroz is that the club puts him on a line with Ewanyk. They played a shutdown role together in Edmonton, but Ewanyk lacks offensive ability. With Yakimov and Khaira arriving on the scene, Ewanyk will fight with those two and Will Acton for playing time (I’m assuming Jason Williams gets the tall order at 1C).
  8. Mitch Holmberg—He begins a gang of four on this list that I’ve shared half-seasons with and guessed on the output. Holmberg scored 62 goals last season, so he could easily emerge as a regular in OKC this fall. I’m guessing it takes time to adjust.
  9. Kellen Jones—I have the twins dividing their seasons between Bakersfield and Oklahoma City, with the offensive results being good not great. I think these guys can play, but they’re going to have to wait their turn for at-bats. In the case of Kellen Jones, I think Moroz gets the LW push among the new hires.
  10. Josh Winquist—As with Holmberg, we’re just seeing which lefty bat catches fire in training camp and then we can slot him in next season as the cleanup hitter. Contests like this always remind me of Mark McGwire v. Rob Nelson—at one time it was a close race. These guys can swing the lumber, there’s probably a player here. Which one?
  11. Connor Jones—I think he’s the lesser Jones, but not by much. I’m nicking him because he’s a center, and the Oilers have youngsters ahead of him they value more. Still, it’s a solid bet this fellow is going to have a pro career should he decide to pursue one. Maybe we’re looking at the beginning of Wayne Schaab 2.0
  12. Kale Kessy—This would be the season to establish himself as something more than a pugilist. Edmonton employs one of those at the NHL level who is basically the same age as Kessy, so if there’s some hockey acumen there he needs to speak now or forever hold his peace.

The Barons sent defensemen Jeff Petry, Martin Marincin and Oscar Klefbom to Edmonton, helping the blue line in a big way. Up front, it’s been less impressive, with Anton Lander, Mark Arcobello and Tyler Pitlick emerging as options. I think Bogdan Yakimov has a chance to be an NHL player of note, and his first season in the AHL should be a successful one.

Godspeed, Bogdan. And maybe Edmonton gets a break and one of these other guys emerges at the same time.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

lumber

At 10 this morning, TSN 1260. Texts at 10-1260, @Lowetide_. I’ll have Jonathan Willis from Oilers Nation and Cult of Hockey at 10:05, we’ll talk about the Barons, Yakimov and other things. After that, it’s Guy Flaming from the Pipeline Show, I’m going to ask him about Sonny Milano’s signing with Columbus and the Kevin Hayes group of free agents who didn’t sign with the NHL teams.

At 11, Scott Cullen of TSN will pop in, we’ll talk about NHL, CFL, NFL, MLB and other things (Cullen can talk about anything, so if you have a question this is the day to bring it). At 11:25, I’ll be joined by Jeff Hauser of Radio Hauser. We’ll talk about Johnny Football, who last night looked more like Johnny Bravo.

Anyway, 10 to noon, TSN 1260. I thank you for tuning in.

52 Responses to "THE NEW YARDBIRDS"

1. Romulus Apotheosis says:

What’s Jimmy going to do with the band!?

2. Kitchener says:

Absolutely brilliant gif

3. Pouzar says:

My fav prospect and I LOVE JJ and Nurse.

Bring on the season!!!

Is this the Jason Williams who is signed for OKC?

5. Ducey says:

The prediction for Miller seems a little low. He went .65 pp/g last year. This prediction is .68.

He will be 26 next month and with a year under his belt (and less competition for pp time from Horak, Omark, Arco and Lander) he should come closer to 1 ppg. Somewhere around 55 points in 65 games seems about right.

6. blainer says:

I am also very high on Yak2. Just wondering LT do you predict a possible call up for him to the oilers this year? Also do the baron’s have an analytic’s person hired or do you think they will have Dellow suss out those numbers as well?

blainer:

I haven’t put him in the RE, feeling they’ll want to spend the season giving Leon, Arco and Anton the full look. Things change, of course.

8. gr8one says:

LT, so of you see Khaira as the future 3C, where do you see Bogdan? I’ve thought that since Yak2 seems to project more offense he’d be future 3C after Nuge and Drai, with Khaira rounding out the top 4. Or do you see Yak2 as more of a winger?

9. russ99 says:

We may even see a defenseman leading the team in goals…

10. Магия 10 says:

Early work on zone entries highlighted that a mix of entry methods gave the best results. Here’s a full-fledged example from baseball of zeroing in on predictability using analytics.

11. Ducey says:

russ99: I’d dial down all those OKC RE numbers, due to lack of offensive talent throughout the roster. It takes all 5 guys on the ice to score and if each line is full of pluggers and checkers, then offense will be hard to come by. Yakimov can’t do it all himself.We may even see a defenseman leading the team in goals…Tambellini’s eschewing of scoring talent after the first round in search of the next Lucic comes home to roost in OKC this season.

Man. Some people just don’t let the facts get in the way of their narrative.

Are Winquist, Holmberg, Miller and Jones x 2, “pluggers and checkers”?

Plus the team will have Ryan Hamilton (who has done well in the past in the AHL), Joensuu, Pinizotto, Stretch (who has put up good ECHL numbers), and Williams as vets.

12. Melman says:

Kitchener:
    Absolutely brilliant gif

Unbelievable. I’ve watched it 12 times and i need to see it again!

13. Pouzar says:

Ducey,

Since when are any of those guys playing in OKC?

14. russ99 says:

Ducey,

The WHL isn’t the AHL, it’s a vastly tougher league playing against men.

Also Winquist and Holmberg and the Jones twins aren’t top prospects and weren’t drafted (other than Kellen Jones in the 7th). All are pretty long bets of making an NHL roster.

My point being there’s only one 2nd or 3rd round skill player draftee – and OKC could use 2-3 of on the scoring lines this season, and Yakimov has to adjust from playing in Russia.

Pretty odd that it’s OK to criticize not drafting Oil Kings in the 6th and 7th rounds and not OK for skipping on skill players all those years we drafted at the top of the second round and third rounds.

BTW – despite MacT’s development claims, when our AHL team does well, that helps the big club, if not on the roster than on trades.

15. Ducey says:

Pouzar: Ducey, “Winquist had 93 points in in 67 games in the WHL last year. Holmberg had 118 in 72, including 62 goals.”Since when are any of those guys playing in OKC?

Huh?

Pouzar:
    Ducey,

Since when are any of those guys playing in OKC?

ALL of those guys will play in OKC

17. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

I think Yak2 will take some time to adjust. His physique should fit well to the NA game but the speed might take a bit to slow down. Most prospects take a year to get comfortable and two to excel when transitioning to NA.

I also suspect his numbers are slightly inflated. If he was killing it 10 mins a night one would think the coach would use him more.

Still high on him but think it is smart to temper expectations for this young fellow. Lots of time to develop.

18. blainer says:

Man those Bruins are in some mess with the cap. Iginla made all his Bonus’s which amount to a crazy 4,775,000 carried over to go against this years cap. They still have to sign Smith and Krug. Now they will get some relief with Savard but something will have to give. They also have to account for some big names heading into RFA and UFA next year not to mention they have sooo many No trade clauses. There may be trade partner there for a center without having to give up too much and gives the prospects the proper time to develop.

19. Pouzar says:

LT, Ducey:

So where exactly are those 2 guys playing exactly?

20. nycoil says:

Wang finally has an agreement to sell the Isles. It will be interesting to see how that team develops over the next couple of years.

21. Ca$h-Money! says:

nycoil:

I think they’ll make the playoffs this year, and given the relative weakness of the conference, they might win a round.

I have Tampa as the team to beat. Boston will get a little worse, NYR will be worse, I think Pits will miss Niskanen & Neal.

22. VanOil says:

Kharia season will be interesting. It seemed he earned Nelson’s trust quickly during his brief stint in the AHL. This might get him PP time as a net presence. I hope he can bring the offence I imagine it will be 2 or 3 years before he threatens the NHL.

Yakimov, I am guessing, is one of the Oilers skating with David Pelletier this summer. The kid has the strength and hands to play in the NHL soon. Learning the odd pivot move could make him a very exciting prospect. As bleak as the Center depth is this year and has been for many years, 2 years from now we could be facing a NYI like situation where good young centers are forced to play the wing.

Winquist and Holmberg could add some flash to OKC and make up for Rajala wandering off and Arco making the show. I am sure all 8 OKC season ticket holders are excited for the season. I wish Abbotsford had not booted the baby flames out of town I would have made of seeing all the OKC games there.

23. Bank Shot says:

The Oilers desperately need one of these forward prospects to exceed expectations. If Yakimov for example could become a Anisimov player in 2-3 years that would be a huge win. He skates like he’s got a piano strapped to his ass so I’m not expecting much, but sometimes you have to dream.

In the meantime I kind of hope Jason Williams is the first call up.

I feel like zero of the forwards on Lowetide’s RE:list are NHL players this season and I don’t think you should call up players that aren’t ready.

24. RexLibris says:

Rumour out that the Leafs bought ES.

Filthy bastards.

At least it wasn’t the Flames.

Now we know why the media are so anti-stats. These college-educated book-learning kids go and make a website, get it bought by the hockey teams the journalists hang around day after day, and make a fortune without ever having to attend a practice or drink rink coffee.

25. G Money says:

RexLibris,

Ah, the plot sickens.

OK, I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’ve written HTML scrapers – oy, that is some ugly f*ckin’ code, then I found out that Vollman makes his player spreadsheets available for free and … hockey stats nerdvana!

Most of the charts and tables in ES are dead simple to code once the data is available and loaded (as you can see if you’ve ever read any of my number crunching rants over at C&B).

So … let’s build ES2 …

Who’s on board?

26. VanOil says:

RexLibris,

The Leafs have hired Darryl Metcalf (extraskater) Cam Cameron and Rob Pettapiece (buzzing the net). http://goo.gl/0FWvez

TSN also announced the Gord Miller, Chris Cuthbert and Ray Ferraro will be calling the Leafs and Sens games on there regional broadcasts. I think it will be on TSN Ocho in Ontario only.

This summer is proving to be a shit show for fans of intelligent hockey writing and TV broadcasting.

27. Lois Lowe says:

Steve Simmons is such a dickhead.

28. bendelson says:

Lois Lowe:
    Steve Simmons is such a dickhead.

What about Rob, Steve?

29. nycoil says:

Ca$h-Money!,

Oh, I think the Isles easily make the playoffs this year. Halak and Tavares alone will make the difference. Add in Grabovski, Kulemin, and more experience for their young players, it should be a good year.

Bodog has lines up for the NHL season.

They have the Oiler’s 20th in the NHL: (odds to win cup – I removed the odds and kept the order)

1- Chicago Blackhawks
    25 -Ottawa Senators
    26 -Winnipeg Jets
    27- Buffalo Sabres
    28- Calgary Flames
    29- Florida Panthers
    30- Nashville Predators

For the most part I think their list is sound

A few too high (TOR, COL, PHI), a few too low (NYI, maybe FLA)

PHI is going to be a gong show with no D and poor G.

Fade them early and often before the books adjust their lines.

Hit NYI early and often before the books adjust their lines.

Their Western Conference break down:

Vancouver Canucks
    Edmonton Oilers
    Arizona Coyotes
    Winnipeg Jets
    Calgary Flames
    Nashville Predators

I’d move COL out and VAN in, maybe EDM.

I have WIN higher (but not in the playoffs) and CAL at the bottom

New Jersey Devils
    Carolina Hurricanes
    New York Islanders
    Ottawa Senators
    Buffalo Sabres
    Florida Panthers

They got NYI way too low and PHI way too high.

NJD might sneak in.

FLA won’t be the worst in the EC.

Rest looks sound.

33. G Money says:

Woodguy,

Out of curiousity, do you happen to have available Bodog’s predictions last year, and how well they did or didn’t do?

34. vinotintazo says:

G Money:
    Woodguy,

this.

35. rickithebear says:

Woodguy: Arizona Coyotes
    Winnipeg Jets
    Calgary Flames
    Nashville Predators

Last 3 years of production.
    team with the most top 180 point producers.
    NSH 10

36. Ca$h-Money! says:

Woodguy,

Bet365 has Buffalo at 150:1, and all of Edmonton, Calgary, Florida, and NYI tied at 100:1

Agree on NYI, I think they are 6th in the east range. Long shot to win a cup, sure, but at 100:1 they look pretty good.

Ca$h-Money!:
    Woodguy,

Agree on NYI, I think they are 6th in the east range.Long shot to win a cup, sure, but at 100:1 they look pretty good.

I saw 365′s list and they are seriously out to lunch on many teams.

I couldn’t cut and paste it, so didn’t bother to transcribe it here.

Unfortunately they don’t offer the futures betting that Bodog does on NHL teams.

Their lines would be mighty tasty in a few spots.

rickithebear: Last 3 years of production.
    team with the most top 180 point producers.
    NSH 10

Interesting.

Can you list them?

G Money:
    Woodguy,

Nope.

Don’t have them, they don’t make their archives public to my knowledge.

We have this one now if someone remembers which thread its in.

40. RexLibris says:

bendelson: ‘I like the hiring of Darryl Metcalf. I dislike the hiring of Cam Charron, who from my experiences is a weasel who can’t be trusted’.

What about Rob, Steve?

At least we could say that Simmons would be something of an authority here though, right?

41. RexLibris says:

Woodguy,

Re: bodog

That is pretty much where I’ve got the Flames based on a ppg pace and a ga/gf per game against last season’s results.

For my own selfish sake, I’m hoping they finish about 26th overall. Far enough away from Eichel/McDavid to prevent any possible talent slipping to them.

42. rickithebear says:

Top 25 Neal
    top 50 Ribero
    top 75 none
    top 100 Fisher
    top 125 Jokinen, Roy
    top 150 M. Cullen, C. Smith
    top 180 C. wilson, V. Stahlberg

SHit forgot to move over Hornquist

Still ahead of Edm, COL, CHI

43. Ribs says:

Woodguy: Nope.

Don’t have them, they don’t make their archives public to my knowledge.

We have this one now if someone remembers which thread its in.

Part answer from the Googles…

Odds to Win 2013 Stanley Cup at Bodog as of August 20:

Dallas Stars 50/1
    Winnipeg Jets 60/1
    New York Islanders 75/1
    Columbus Blue Jackets 150/1

44. Ducey says:

Hit NYI early and often before the books adjust their lines

I must admit I don’t know much about a lot of things (perhaps everything) but know I have no idea about betting.

However, wouldn’t ‘hitting NYI’ require me to actually think NYI are going to win the Cup?

I could see them improving and making the playoffs, but no way I would put money on them actually winning the Cup. This is, after all, Wang and Snow we are talking about.

45. Ribs says:

Realising I scrolled too far…That was for 2013. 2014 was…

Odds to Win 2014 Stanley Cup at Bodog as of October 15:

New Jersey Devils 66/1
    Winnipeg Jets 66/1
    Calgary Flames 75/1
    Florida Panthers 150/1
    Buffalo Sabres 200/1

46. Bruce McCurdy says:

Repeating a comment from the bottom of the last (now moribund) thread because my earlier comment there seems to have been misunderstood.

oilgreg: Don’t get me wrong, I love your articles, and your writing is well-researched. I do believe that your comment Re: Toller Cranston discredits Andrew Ference, Brian Burke, and others, who have worked hard to ensure that their league is tolerant and accepting,

You completely misunderstand my point, which has nothing to do with tolerance and everything to do with transferable skills. As a figure skater Cranston’s forté was/is on the artistic side, which doesn’t have a lot to do with hockey. But I am thinking more of technical matters and specifically their application to another sport.

I personally was a big fan of Toller Cranston’s skating and I couldn’t give a hoot about his private life other than it is clearly a part of who he is. But nobody including the man himself will confuse the guy with a hockey player.

I am also 100% onside with Andrew Ference, Jenny Scrivens, the Burke family and anybody else who promotes tolerance and acceptance of “alternate lifestyles” or whatever term you prefer, in fact I am outspoken on the subject. That is a hill I *would* choose to die on, if it came to that. So I’m a little appalled that someone might interpret my words (& emoticons) in the manner that you seem to have.

B S: I got a similar impression from Bruce’s comment as well. I think he was pointing more to Pelletier’s shared experience (hockey and figure skating) allowing him to integrate and refine figure skating techniques that are actually relevant, while someone with only figure skating experience (for example Toller Cranston) may train maneuvers and technique that may be superfluous to hockey game situations.

Yes, this.

47. bendelson says:

RexLibris,

One advanced stats man was approved. One was called a weasel.
    I believe Steve would call that fair and balanced journalism.

Ducey:
    Hit NYI early and often before the books adjust their lines

I could see them improving and making the playoffs, but no way I would put money on them actually winning the Cup.This is, after all, Wang and Snow we are talking about.

I’m suggesting that the bookies see them bad, much worse than they are.

At the beginning of the season that will be reflected in the odds on the games. NYI will be bigger dogs, or less of a favorite than they should be.

It usually takes a couple weeks for the bookies to adjust, so I’m suggesting to bet on NYI early in the season before the bookies adjust.

49. classicT says:

G Money,

Not sure how serious you were but if you’re actually interested I’d discuss working on that idea, or some variation of it, with you.

50. Bank Shot says:

Woodguy: I’m not suggesting to bet on NYI to win the cup (although i’ll put $10 on it at those odds)

I’m suggesting that the bookies see them bad, much worse than they are.

I’m not sure I’d bet anything on NYI with that defense. They have Visnovsky and Hamonic and then 4 guys with 100 NHL games or less plus Carkner.

A defense that young could go south in a hurry.