TRAINING CAMP HOPEFUL NO. 10: BRAD HUNT

Brad Hunt is the next Mark Arcobello. Or not. Undrafted and discovered in the AHL by Craig MacTavish (who was coaching him at the time), Hunt delivers impact offense from the AHL blue line. Can he do something similar at the highest level?

RE 13-14 REVIEW

PPG NAME GP G A PTS
.400 BRAD HUNT OKC RE 13-14 65 4 22 26
.758 BRAD HUNT OKC ACTUAL 13-14 66 11 39 50

RE 14-15 PREVIEW

PPG NAME GP G A PTS
.650 BRAD HUNT OKC RE 14-15  60 10 29 39
.250  BRAD HUNT RE 14-15  12  1  2  3

Brad Hunt wears #29 for the Oklahoma City Barons. He’s an undersized pro defenseman (5.09, 174 according to the AHL site, 5.09, 188 according to the Hockey News) with good puck moving skills. His AHL boxcars imply a successful offensive defenseman and Jonathan Willis suggested as much in the summer.

• WillisWhat Hunt obviously brings to the organization is offence from the blue line. Two years ago, his coach at Bemidji State said he had an NHL caliber slap shot. In 2013, the hockey world received hard evidence of that as Hunt had the second-hardest shot (99.5 miles per hour) at the AHL All-Star game. His best chance at NHL employment might be as a power play specialist – 15 of his 33 points last seasoncame with the man advantage despite the fact that he didn’t get a lot of games right out of the NHL lockout.
  1. Will he actually play? Hunt made it to the NHL last season, played in three games. I think there’s a chance Edmonton calls again.
  2. Can he play defense? It won’t be his strong suit, but Edmonton has several veterans who could mentor him.
  3. Why does he have to be lefthanded? That’s all there is, apparently.
  4. Is his offense that good? His slap shot is going to find its way to the NHL I think, we’ll see from there.
  5. Which current Oiler defenseman most closely matches his skill set? Hmmm. None. Think Phil Larsen with most of Sheldon Souray’s slap shot.

(photo by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved)

14 Responses to "TRAINING CAMP HOPEFUL NO. 10: BRAD HUNT"

1. Numenius says:

Would rather have kept Fedun than Hunt. RH shot, better all round player, amazing character.

2. Zangetsu says:

why are almost all hockey player left shooters? I just don’t get it. Most are right handed and shoot left. I’m right handed, and there isn’t a chance I could ever shoot left.

3. justDOit says:

Zangetsu,

There are many ways to learn to shoot a puck, and it usually comes down to whatever feels right, but the top hand is considered the dominant hand on the stick. So right handed people are often left shots. I shoot right and I’m right handed, but I inherited old sticks from my brother, who is a left handed, right shooter.

4. WeridAl says:

LT it might be smart to watch some Barons game before making bold prediction. Hunt improve with improvement of Davidson, he would be the 1st to tell you that. Hunt was lost without Davidson to protect him.

5. geowal says:

Zangetsu,

This might be BS, but my understanding is righties shooting left is a byproduct of picking up hockey at an early age, like 4 or less, and that somehow creates a predisposition to offhandedly shooting. Something about how it’s comfortable to hold a stick when you can barely carry it. Myself that is the case, I didn’t play early and I shoot right (as a righty)

6. SpotTheLoon says:

I’ll never forget that day. I was a university student working in Jasper during the summer. I had been able to get tickets for the last game of the cup final in 88 and was privileged to see Gretzjy’s last game in an Oilers jersey. The following year, I was working with a friend as a goffer for the Oilers on game night staff. I watched his first game back in Edmonton. I remember that after the game, I was outside the Oilers dressing room with my friend. Pocklington walked down to the dressing room. One fan screamed at him that they wanted to kill him. I’ll never forget the look of fear on Pocklington’s face that night.

WeridAl:

I’ve listed Davidson as a TC hopeful.

8. G Money says:

Ah, August 9th…

Was in LA when the dirty deed was announced. One last road trip before I headed to the East Coast for grad school. Bummer of a drive back to Edmonton.

Got home, packed up, and moved away. Me and Gretz both …

9. MrEd says:

Are you giving Hunt some of Shultz’s games? Forgive me if i’m reading too much into your prognostications but I’m starting to wonder about the Jesus of Cool. If it were me i’d turn screws on his contract as the countdown to training ticks down.
    MAB was a rover. Del Zotto just went for a song. Jultz has proved nothing beyond these two.

10. "Steve Smith" says:

Brad Hunt is the next Mark Arcobello. Or not.

Either way, I’m prepared to give him a shot as the Oilers’ #2 centre.

11. Colieo87 says:

SpotTheLoon,

SpotTheLoon:

I’ll never forget that day.I was a university student working in Jasper during the summer.I had been able to get tickets for the last game of the cup final in 88 and was privileged to see Gretzjy’s last game in an Oilers jersey.The following year, I was working with a friend as a goffer for the Oilers on game night staff.I watched his first game back in Edmonton.I remember that after the game, I was outside the Oilers dressing room with my friend.Pocklington walked down to the dressing room.One fan screamed at him that they wanted to kill him.I’ll never forget the look of fear on Pocklington’s face that night.

Best being drunk comment ever read. Man I love this site

12. Deadman Waiting says:

Hi, Vic!

Wikipedia informs me that another member of Latka’s Taxi squad was a character by the name of “cowboy Harlow”. This triggered recollection of something I read a few days ago.

When actress Jean Harlow called Margot Asquith “Lady Margott,” the latter said: “My dear, the T in my name is silent, as in Harlow.”

Bazinga! Almost too good to be true, which it almost is:

The ‘t’ Is Silent, as in Harlow

———

I don’t recall this character (the male Harlow) myself. Most of the time I was watching reruns of Get Smart on the other channel (not counting the various grades of snow we received from Bellingham, over the water, ENE). Get Smart always had Agent 99 and the shoe phone. Taxi only had Latka half the time. That was all I needed to know.

Then one day I snapped out of my adolescent fog.

For some reason I had suffered through ten minutes of Barney Miller and suddenly I realized this show was ten times funnier than Get Smart. I guess the set threw me off. You could practically smell the 1/4 inch roofing-tar residue of an abandoned half-pot of Maxwell House cooking itself to creosote on a heating plate in the back of the room.

One time I was waxing nostalgic with a drinking buddy exactly my age (but with a film-school pedigree). He had exactly the same experience, only he “developed” his post-adolescent clue 12 to 18 months sooner than I did. Further implications are probably also true. At that age, those are 18 long months.

13. hunter1909 says:

Zangetsu:

I’m right handed, in practically every way; but shoot left, kick better left footed, punch harder leftie, etc. Overall, the left part of me feels 15% dumber, but has more power.

SpotTheLoon: I’ll never forget the look of fear on Pocklington’s face that night.

I doubt if he feels any braver today.

“Steve Smith”:
    Brad Hunt is the next Mark Arcobello. Or not.

Either way, I’m prepared to give him a shot as the Oilers’ #2 centre.

Not sure how he can replace Arcobello’s 4 goals.

Deadman Waiting: Real cops are not usually fans of cop shows. [...] Many police officers maintain that the most realistic police show in the history of television was the sitcom Barney Miller, …

My currently vintage fave cop shows are Dragnet and Adam 12(1966-68). Adam 12 shows western civilization at it’s zenith; LA California run by and for the children of Okies, as seen in The Grapes of Wrath(starring Henry Fonda).

It’s raining.