The Edmonton Oilers under Craig MacTavish tend to buy from Euro shelves at least once a summer (Belov, Joensuu, Grebs a year ago, this fellow in 2014). Steve Tambellini did it too—who can forget the Lennart Petrell era—and honestly it often doesn’t work out. A good rule of thumb on these things? If the Euro gets a second contract—this doesn’t apply to Lennart Petrell—then it’s a good deal.
- Elite Prospects: A large winger shooting from his right. An energetic player with good skating and a nice frame. Possesses a good sharp, wrist shot and is a solid finisher. A hard worker and versatile player who can also play as a defenceman. (Matias Strozyk, 2012)
IIRO PAKARINEN RE 14-15 PREVIEW
|.517||IIRO PAKARINEN OKC RE 14-15||60||17||14||31|
|.143||IIRO PAKARINEN OILERS RE 14-15||7||0||1||1|
Iiro Pakarinen, RW 6-1, 198 Kalpa (Finland)– Undrafted overager has nice size, should add some bulk and get stronger. Heavy feet with a choppy stride, but decent straight-line speed. Needs to pick up the initial burst to have a shot at the NHL. Keeps his stick on the ice and goes to the net well. Opportunistic scorer throughout; managed to be in right place at right time and made his opportunities count. OK defensively; doesn’t do anything to stand out in his own end. Overview: Pakarinen had a pretty good hand in Finland’s offense during the preliminary round, but seems to be a longshot as an NHL prospect. Might have done enough to get drafted late, but not a prospect to keep a close eye on as the 106th-ranked skater by Central and not likely to be on many teams’ lists if at all.
- SM-Liiga 2013-14: 60GP, 20-10-30
- World Championships: 10GP, 3-0-3
- Do you have any idea if he’s good enough to play in the NHL this season? Nope. Skating may have improved since his draft year (Luedeke’s report is from the draft season of 2011).
- How many players eligible for the 2011 draft are in the NHL? Two Oilers (Nuge, Klef) and 50 overall. He would have been eligible for the 2009 and 2010 drafts as well—born late August of 1991—but this past season he blossomed offensively.
- Where does he rank on the RW depth chart? I have it Eberle, Yakupov, Purcell, Pitlick, Pakarinen, Pinizzotto, Miller.
- Is there a chance he jumps past all but the top three and lands an NHL job? Oh yes. I’d say 25% chance, something like that number.
- What he is most famous for? It’s in the video.