Steve Pinizzotto came over in a seemingly pedestrian mid-season trade with the Florida Panthers for Ryan Martindale. The minor league veteran made it all the way to the NHL in 2013-14, playing six games in orange and blue.
STEVE PINIZZOTTO RE 14-15 PREVIEW
|.491||STEVE PINIZOTTO OKC RE 14-15||57||11||17||28|
|.200||STEVE PINIZOTTO OILERS RE 14-15||10||0||2||2|
- Is he an NHL player? Not yet, although he’s had some chances in Washington and Vancouver. He’s from the Ryan Jones family of players, guys who are good enough to play but need a break because there’s too many of the same same at that end of the bell curve.
- So, nothing special? Yes. Nothing special. However, there are players in the NHL with the same talent level. He could in fact have a career.
- Why do the Oilers like him? Guys like Pinizzotto used to be called energy players. Skate in on the forecheck, hammer a guy against the boards, zip over to the other defenseman, hammer him again. Rinse repeat.
- Is it effective? No, because you never have the puck. However, a guy like Pinizzotto can be useful because he can pass and take a pass. And he’s physical, and can fight so there’s that on the resume, too.
- Is he big? No. That’s one reason I suspect he was passed over in the draft. He can play, though. That’s a fact.