TRAINING CAMP HOPEFUL NO. 6: WILL ACTON

Will Acton and “bad smell” will forever be linked—because Acton’s coach loves him. Eakins: “One day he asked if he could sit in on the penalty-killing meeting. Before long, he was on the penalty kill. He’s like a smell that just won’t go away.”

Hockey is a very strange culture.

WILL ACTON 13-14

• 5×5 points per 60: 1.64 (5th among regular forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: nil
  • Qual Comp: 13th toughest faced among regular forwards (fourth line)
  • Qual Team: 13th best available teammates among regular forwards (fourth line)
  • Corsi Rel: -15.5 (14th best, second last, among regular forwards)
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 39.3
  • Corsi for 5×5 % REL: -8.0
  • Zone Start: 44.2% (7th toughest among regular forwards)
  • Zone Finish: 43.7% (12th best among regular forwards)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 18/16.7% (1st among F’s >15 shots)
  • Boxcars: 30, 3-2-5

RE 13-14 OKC REVIEW

PPG NAME GP G A PTS
.340 WILL ACTON OKC RE 13-14 50 5 12 17
.489 WILL ACTON OKC ACTUAL 13-14 47 12 11 23

RE 13-14 REVIEW

PPG NAME GP G A PTS
.150 WILL ACTON RE 13-14 20 0 3 3
.167 WILL ACTON ACTUAL 13-14 30 3 2 5

RE 14-15 PREVIEW

PPG NAME GP G A PTS
.167 WILL ACTON RE 13-14 12 0 2 2

VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER (CORSI REL)

hall sledge corsi rel

1. Anything good in there? It’s all small samples, but I’m not convinced we saw enough of him to say he’s absolutely horrible. Acton scored at 5×5 pretty well. His zone starts were tough and he was heading out there with the evil dead.
  2. You seem to be the only one who has anything nice to say. I’m not saying he’s a player, I’m just saying the idea of this project is to be reasonable. I know a lot of people who say he got hired because of Dad, maybe that skews the view. I know others who say his advanced numbers mean he can’t play, but I would point to a very small sample size and his linemates. I’m not saying he’s an answer to a question we’re asking, just suggesting we may be ahead of the facts with our collective verbal.
  3. Where does he land on the center depth chart? My list goes Nuge, Gordon, Leon, Arcobello, Lander in NHL minutes for this coming season. After that, it’s probably Acton, Ewanyk, Khaira, Yakimov in OKC with Jason Williams there to protect the kids.
  4. Who will take his job eventually? Travis Ewanyk.
  5. What is he really good at? We’ve seen him for an hour.
  6. Is he strictly an injury callup? I think he could make the opening night lineup, but Draisaitl would need to be awful.

19 Responses to "TRAINING CAMP HOPEFUL NO. 6: WILL ACTON"

1. Bruce McCurdy says:

Actually we’ve seen him for three hours if we include all situations not just score close. Not that the extra data makes him look any better.

Plus an hour on the penalty kill, which is supposedly one thing he does well, though his stats there didn’t smell that great either. :)

2. Deadman Waiting says:

Bruce has a fascinating piece up at Cult.

Dallas does Dallas — Oilers’ Eakins solicits advice from NFL Cowboys’ head coach Jason Garrett

I don’t entirely agree with that synopsis. Eakins always knew he needed to be better, but he also has an immense in-the-moment Popeye swagger “I yam what I yam”. It’s one thing to know you need to be better, it’s an entirely different thing to dial in how that’s going to transpire.

Goalies are praised for having the mental fortitude to shake off a bad goal in the heat of the moment. Pretty awesome if the goalie does this so convincingly that everyone sits around asking “did he even notice the bad smell?”

Killing the Sacred Cows of Publishing: Writers Don’t Need to Practice

One fine day back when I was very young, I was a golf professional working to play tour stops. On one round I needed to hook a seven iron around a tree and I didn’t do it.

After the round (couldn’t fix that round, just as you can’t fix a story) I went to the range, got a big yellow bucket of balls (about 300) and worked on hooking a seven iron. I did the same practice for 300 balls the next day, and then the next day, only working for those 300 golf balls on learning how to hook a seven iron until every damn ball in the last 300 hooked as I wanted each shot to hook.

I went out the next day, needed to hook a seven iron, missed the shot, because I was too much in my head thinking about it. But in a round a week later I needed the same shot and hit it perfectly. And I never had trouble with that shot after that.

It was pretty clear last spring that too many players were playing too much in their heads. Overcoaching, or just a stage?

So in that short story or novel you are writing right now, quick, without thinking, tell me what you are practicing besides typing.

Oh, oh, caught you, didn’t I? If the answer doesn’t instantly spring to your mind, you are not doing focused practice.

Oh, no, you didn’t.

When you slip Jesus onto the panel of American Idol, it’s entirely clear that you’ve got a sweet-spot about the size of a pink grapefruit to slice over seven different sand traps of “too political”, down a long, goat-path fairway wedged between kissing hinterlands of automagmatic umbrage.

A green to die for and I psyched myself into taking a 3/4 back swing. So much for nerves of steel. Someone hand me that giant bucket.

3. supernova says:

ehh!

in a pinch he can be a bandaid but it better only be for a pinch.

4. Numenius says:

So, let’s say Nuge and Gordon go down…

*eyes bug out*

Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

5. OilLeak says:

I’ve seen enough of Acton to say he’s not NHL calibre. I hope we really don’t need confirmation of that going into next season. That being said he’ll probably get 20 games.

6. OilLeak says:

Numenius:
    So, let’s say Nuge and Gordon go down…

*eyes bug out*

Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

7. gr8one says:

Deadman Waiting:
    Bruce has a fascinating piece up at Cult.

I don’t entirely agree with that synopsis.Eakins always knew he needed to be better, but he also has an immense in-the-moment Popeye swagger “I yam what I yam”.It’s one thing to know you need to be better, it’s an entirely different thing to dial in how that’s going to transpire.

Goalies are praised for having the mental fortitude to shake off a bad goal in the heat of the moment.Pretty awesome if the goalie does this so convincingly that everyone sits around asking “did he even notice the bad smell?”

Killing the Sacred Cows of Publishing: Writers Don’t Need to Practice

It was pretty clear last spring that too many players were playing too much in their heads.Overcoaching, or just a stage?

Oh, no, you didn’t.

A green to die for and I psyched myself into taking a 3/4 back swing.So much for nerves of steel.Someone hand me that giant bucket.

I love you.

8. Frank The Dog says:

The nadir of the hockey year.

9. Bruce McCurdy says:

Deadman Waiting: Bruce has a fascinating piece up at Cult.

“Be that as it may, it’s very difficult to criticize Eakins for his initiative in this endeavour. If there’s one thing he learned in his first year behind Oilers’ bench, it’s that he and his staff need to be better.”

I can think of worse ways than job-shadowing someone in a similar role in a different industry. I don’t mind that he’s willing to try new ideas, especially on his own initiative as seems to have been the case here.

10. Numenius says:

OilLeak: I’m expecting a training camp injury for the Nuge. We know it’s going to happen.

Don’t say that! Nuge is gonna be just fine. Don’t jinx him.

11. Hammers says:

If Leon goes down to junior and any one of the other 4 get injured Acton will play ( can’t believe I said that but its true ) > Always comes back to Leon .

12. haters says:

I thought Acton had a hard year last year. Have no time for a player that can’t play. Doesn’t even fight well . Career minor league’r with a huge upside for coaching when it’s all over.

13. Frank The Dog says:

What are the ethical standards of an NHL coach getting his boy on the team he coaches on, in place of players that are more skilled than he is? When does favoritism and string pulling cross the line?
    Two opposites: Acton playing on the oilers, Keegan asking not to be drafted on his dads team.

14. Zangetsu says:

Frank The Dog,

I was coach’s son my whole life, and I understand the thought that acton was pulling strings. In my experience however, coach is more likely to discriminate against his son to avoid looking like he’s playing favourites. I think the decision to keep Acton was Eakins’. I’m sure there was pressure felt by Eakins’ to keep Acton Jr., but I doubt Acton Sr. ever said anything to push for his son to play, or even get signed.

15. Frank The Dog says:

Zangetsu:
    Frank The Dog,

Many of us coach our kids on their sports teams, myself included, and I partially agree, but we also all know there are more than a few teams built around Dad,s child. My kids played on a couple of those too.

My late night comment did not take into account Acton Sr.’s unquestionably high ethical standards, I suppose it boils down to the optics and perhaps some less than stellar judgement in Eakins part.
    Let’s face it, the optics of pulling junior on to the team in those circumstances were a bit short of optimal.

I could give a rat’s ass about optics, the fact is that the best thing for the organization is all that matters. Example: that Keegan Lowe kid has worked his tail off and he’s going to have an NHL career. Oilers passed on him because he asked them too? THAT I hate.

17. Bruce McCurdy says:

18. Romulus Apotheosis says:

1. Will was signed before his dad was hired.

2. Eakins loves Will

3. The Oilers last year had horrible center depth

4. Eakins expressed, many times, a preference for “that heaviness” on the 4th line over say putting Arco there.

5. Lowe has said publicly that whenever a decision is being made about a relative, be it Musil, Acton, himself, whomever, the parent steps out of the room and has no say.

Or, there’s more than enough evidence Will playing for the Oilers last year wasn’t a piece of nepotism. No need to worry over it. Worry over the lack of center depth and Eakins’ preferences in constructing his roster.

19. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bruce McCurdy: My understanding is that it was K-Lowe Sr. who said Keegan should be drafted by one of the other 29 teams and not the Oilers. But perhaps I misremember.

Other way around.

end of the video.

Keegan told the team he wanted to make his own mark.