TRAINING CAMP HOPEFUL NO. 7: DAVID MUSIL

David Musil is a classic ‘stay-at-home’ defender, and that position has seen it’s value reduced in a big way over the years. Will Musil have an NHL career? He turned pro and was effective in 2013-14—despite the lack of foot speed, and the lack of offense that impacted his draft number.

OKC 13-14 REVIEW

PPG NAME GP G A PTS
.065 DAVID MUSIL OKC RE 13-14 31 1 1 2
.197 DAVID MUSIL OKC ACTUAL 13-14 61 2 10 12

OKC  14-15 PREVIEW

PPG NAME GP G A PTS
.262 DAVID MUSIL OKC RE 14-15 65 3 14 17
.000 DAVID MUSIL RE 14-15 1 0 0 0
  • Red Line report: His father, Frank, was a longtime NHL defenseman and currently a highly respected scout. David has excellent size and strength and plays a rugged brand of hockey with a bit of a mean streak. He reads developing plays well and uses anticipation to break up plays before they become dangerous. He’s got good hockey sense in all three zones, but his offensive upside is limited due to his mediocre point shot.
  • Red Line on his comparable: Maintains great gap control and always squares up to the puckhandler. Has good poise, plays solid, mistake-free game in own zone and is excellent positionally. Reads and anticipates developing plays well. Good laterally, but 1st step and straightaway speed are average. Is not good as either a PP quarterback or trigger-man— has weak shot and makes poor decisions in puck distribution. Comparable to Ladislav Smid.
  1. How well did he perform in the AHL as a rookie? Well enough to establish himself as a legit NHL prospect. He can play the position, read sorties and defend them, and has the acumen required to make up for shortcomings at the AHL level.
  2. Does this bode well for him as an NHL prospect? Yes. There’s a job waiting for him if he continues to progress.
  3. What is the job? Defensive defenseman, penalty killer. The Ladislav Smid role.
  4. Does that have value? Sure. There are many players of his type still on NHL rosters, and I expect we’ll see them for the next 20 years. Their number and their impact is lost to the puck movers currently, and that’s likely to continue. You may see teams with only one of this player-type in the future.
  5. Among current Oilers, whose skill set most closely resembles Musil? Smid is the easy answer, but he’s gone. Mark Fayne has many of the same elements in his game that David Musil will bring to the NHL, should he arrive there.

(Photo by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved)

19 Responses to "TRAINING CAMP HOPEFUL NO. 7: DAVID MUSIL"

1. TheOtherJohn says:

Good junior player. Decent 1st year in AHL. He cannot skate well at AHL level and if he overcomes that he then needs to be able to skate at NHL level. Is it possible? yup. His future as a prospect depends on it. Few lead footed D gain a couple of steps but he may be the exception

Smid was an excellent skater. But that is the role Musil will fill

2. Suntory Hanzo says:

anyone else having tgrouble using ten.ca to watch the game? Watched it fine yesterday with someones link, but today it won’t let me as I am not a rogers or bell subscriber.

Any ideas?

Thanks

3. Suntory Hanzo says:

Perfect. Thanks. Forgot it was the hockey Canada site, not TSNs.

4. VanOil says:

Thanks for the link LT, TSN’s rejection had me sitting in the box feeling bad.

5. VanOil says:

Musil development will be interesting. He is both a high enough draft pick and has unique enough skill set amongst Oilers D prospects to be given a lot of rope. On the other hand Klefbom, Nurse, Simpson and Germat will all be fighting for the same NHL young defender playing time with him over the next 3 years.

Competition is great have. Klefbom and Nurse are almost sure to graduate to the NHL permanently before Musil. One of Musil, Simpson, Germat or even Davidson or Hunt will need to have break out performances to secure a Oilers starting job. They still might make the show but I suspect it will happen else where.

My fantasy projection would be;

This year Klefbom earning a f/t job 1/2 way through the season pushing a Vet out. (Petry who they should keep)

The next year, Simpson earning a f/t job 1/2 way through the season pushing a Vet out. (Nikitin)

The year after that Nurse earning a f/t job 1/2 way through the season pushing a Vet out. (Ferrence who should leave this year at the deadline instead of Petry) Nurse with 1.5 years in the AHL should be able to come into the NHL and dominate.

I don’t see where Musil fits in other than to replace Aulie as the #7/first call up in year 2 of this scenario.

If Musil could skate as well as Smid, we’re talking potential Rod Langway here. Unfortunately he can’t.

7. TheOtherJohn says:

Pretty sure knock on Dillion Simpson was footspeed as well. My comment would apply equally some prospects find another step or two. Those are the exception. Hopefully both surmount that deficiency

8. RexLibris says:

Brownlee has a nice piece on the Dellow hire up. http://oilersnation.com/2014/8/5/hiring-dellow-the-bottom-line

The most reasoned response from someone typically seen as being outside the analytics crowd.

9. "Steve Smith" says:

RexLibris,

What jumps out at me is the way he talks about advanced stats having come a long way since 2008, when he was first asked about them. They have, of course, but his observation looks an awful lot like cover for his early dismissive attitude towards them – “It’s not that I was a moron then; once stats became valuable, I started to value them!”

10. RexLibris says:

“Steve Smith”,

There will, of course, be an element of that in what most people say about advanced stats as they become more mainstream. It is a constant in human behaviour in response to new trends that we try to show either a willingness to embrace them that mitigates any initial antagonism we may have shown, or a stubborn reactionary response in the hopes that once the trend has crested and enters into recession we may then resurface with a pretense of personal integrity against the mindless hordes.

You risk looking like either a hypocrite or a hipster.

The alternative is to be open-minded, humble, sincere and willing to accept the consequences of your decisions and opinions.

To quote Ralph Waldo Emerson (whom I really need to read more of): It is easy in the world to live after the world’s opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own; but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude.

11. G Money says:

I always wonder if the anti-fancy-stats crowd treats numbers in other aspects of their lives so dismissively?

I imagine Damien Cox walking into his doctor’s office, and when that tech weenie basement-dwelling “never even seen a human body” fool wants to use numbers to help assess his health, Cox gets all uppity … Ooooh, doc, who cares about 4.1 “ko less terol” and boo, 180/170 “blood pressure” and such nonsense. REAL doctors don’t need that stupid stuff. The human body is too full of fluid to be able to measure it. All you need are your eyes, dumbass! See me healthy or see me unhealthy, that’s the way *I* roll!

Unsurprisingly, the diagnosis is rectal-cranial inversion, every time.

12. G Money says:

Speaking of a different D prospect, interesting quote on Darnell Nurse:

Nurse is taking the same approach and [Coach Benoit] Groulx couldn’t be happier. It’s part of the maturity that comes with being a year older.

“I told him he was the best player on the ice this morning,” Groulx said after Wednesday’s practices at the Bell Sports Complex. “He has all the intangibles we want. He skates like the wind. For him, it is only a matter of simplifying his game a little bit.”

13. "Steve Smith" says:

G Money:

That’s what gets me: mathematical modelling is used without controversy in a hundred thousand other systems, most of which are infinitely more complex than the neat, artificial, self-contained system that is a hockey game. And yet somehow sports are supposed to be sui generis.

(Yeah, I said “sui generis“. And I’ve got plenty more Latin-phrases-designed-to-obscure-the-fact-that-I’m-really-making-very-mundane-points where that came from.)

14. G Money says:

“Steve Smith”: And I’ve got plenty more Latin-phrases-designed-to-obscure-the-fact-that-I’m-really-making-very-mundane-points where that came from

Nice! Is there a latin phrase for that? (pretend I’m saying that soto voce).

Did I tell you I briefly thought about Sanctum Sanctorum for this blog’s name?

16. j says:

Given we just got rid of a Smid-like player for nothing (his name was ‘Smid’), that doesn’t bode well for young Musil. And Smid was a superior skater. I don’t think we have seen the end of defensive defensemen but the caveat being they must be strong skaters. That group will always have a place in my opinion.

17. PerryK says:

RexLibris:

I have to agree! The most reasonable piece that I have ever read from Brownlee!!!

18. Genjutsu says:

PerryK: sui generis

Ok I’ll admit that I’m kind of pissed at you all for making me read Brown-stain’s latest drivel.

What wind bag and never takes a moment to say hey we missed something a Dellow was right all along.

Twit.

I’m done with him as I am with Spector. . . .