WITHER SLEPYSHEV?

Another year will burn off the calendar (it appears) before we see one of Russia’s sons, Anton Slepyshev. I saw him on television from my living room during Christmastime and was quite impressed, so of course am not impatient for his arrival. Slepyshev (whose last name is a nickname waiting to happen) is doing the ‘Jani Rita dying on the vine in his country’s pro league’ as he plays nine minutes a night behind some foreigner (well, Teemu Hartikainen).

SLEPYSHEV IN THE KHL

• 2011-12 (age 17) 39GP, 4-3-7 (8:55 TOI, 28 shots) (1.21 points-per-60) (4.83 shots-per-60)
  • 2012-13 (age 18) 26GP, 7-2-9 (12:40 TOI, 63 shots) (1.64 points-per-60) (11.48 shots-per-60)
  • 2013-14 (age 19) 36GP, 3-5-8 (10:18 TOI, 59 shots) (1.30 points-per-60) (9.55 shots-per–60)

Le sigh. Our man Bogdan has a ribald (RIBALD!) 2.20 points-per-60 in the KHL, while Slepslappy is riding with John Candy and Steve Martin in Planes, Trains and Automobiles (“YOU’RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!”).

• Craig MacTavish: “He has a dynamic skill set. High-speed skill. He competes well. There’s plenty of tools there.”

zzzzIn the time he played in the World Juniors this past season, Slepyshev looked like a prospect (7GP, 2-5-7) more than worthy of a pro contract. We know he’s signed for another year in the KHL, and Kady Hobbins from Hockey’s Future puts the coming season in perspective:

• Hobbins: “2014-15 will truly be a make-or-break year for the 20-year-old prospect, as his performance will influence whether or not the Oilers perceive enough value to bring him to North America.”

I have him at No. 18, Hobbins about the same and the CofH boys a little higher on the prospect lists. We’ve all moved Yakimov up the list, and that’s fair he had the better year. I can’t help thinking Slepyshev’s KHL season might end up like the last one, and wonder if the Oilers might be wise to see if they can pry him out of there now. It’s probably too late, but Oiler fans saw Jani Rita, Alexei Mikhnov and other top prospects die on the vine like this and the impact during development seasons can be massive.

27 Responses to "WITHER SLEPYSHEV?"

1. JamesL says:

As it is now, would you rather have Valentin Zykov, or all of Anton Slepyshev, Kyle Platzer, Bogdan Yakimov, Jackson Houck, and Aidan Muir?

Suspect Yakimov is the only one of the “Zykov Five” that has a realistic shot at success…

2. RexLibris says:

LT,

Off topic, but one or more of these may come in handy.

As for Slepyshev, I wonder if Frank Musil pays him a visit this year and gives him a talk about North American hockey.

3. Gordies Elbow says:

JamesL,

I’m not sure that Zykov has a realistic shot at success, either.

Draft year: 67gp – 40g – 35a – 75pts – 60pim.
    Next year: 53gp – 23g – 40a – 63pts – 70pim.

Down arrows?

PS: Jackson Houck’s draft +1 had him at 69gp – 34g- 27a – 61pts – 72pim. Played more games that Zykov, had more goals and comparable points in comparable leagues, and they have comparable size. Both right shooters. Is it just that Zykov didn’t develop that makes the 5 for 1 look better?

4. spoiler says:

Gordies Elbow:
    JamesL,

I’m not sure that Zykov has a realistic shot at success, either.

Draft year: 67gp – 40g – 35a – 75pts – 60pim.
    Next year: 53gp –23g – 40a – 63pts – 70pim.

Down arrows?

I think you need to look at the PPG. Zykov is still the better prospect, excluding things like ice time and qualteam. He actually improved his PPG slightly this past season.

That said, they are all dice rolls and we got to roll the dice a whole bunch more times.

Slepyshev’s future will depend on how hard he wants to work. Does he want the easier road through the KHL, or will he commit to the hard path and try to make the NHL? Depends on him as he doesn’t have the talent to make it on talent alone.

5. Gordies Elbow says:

spoiler,

Can you clarify why you believe that Zykov is the better prospect?

I would expect that his PPG would improve based on his experience with another season in the Q. Why the drop in goals per game, though?

From where I sit, Jackson Houck showed progression from his draft year, and Zykov regressed. I can’t say that I’ve seen Zykov play live, though, and as a Oil Kings regular, was fortunate to see Jackson Houck play (impressed, although not as much as Greg Chase, who ended up with three points the last OK’s game I saw vs. the Hitmen.)

I get that it’s way to early to determine who’s going to make it (or not.) It could be that Aidan Muir, the largest right shooting winger from that group, (who went 54gp – 14g – 27a – 41pts – 60pim, +30 for the Aces in the USHL this last season) may end up being the best player.

Given the results though, to answer JamesL’s question, I’d prefer the 5 players Edmonton picked. Given the depth of that draft, taking 5 lottery tickets was better likely better than taking one. How do you score who wins, though? Games played, goals scored over career? If one of the Zykov-5 make it, could make it difficult for the Kings.

6. VanOil says:

In response to some off the accumulated reasonableness in the last few posts and comments sections. The deals I would most like to see mid season are a 4 year X $4.5M deal for Petry and a 8 year X $6M deal for Yakupov. I feel paying a 29 year old Yakupov $6M is in keeping with MacT’s commitment to rewarding loyal players and likely to be a hell of a deal.

7. Hammers says:

VanOil:

What about Schultz ? Unfortunately I think they value both Petry & Yak lower than Schultz .

8. Gordies Elbow says:

I’d disagree about a few, one up, one down, but that said, can anyone remember when Edmonton had this level of prospects? Draisatl, Klefbom, Chase, Nurse?

Wow.

Slepyshev (whose last name is a nickname waiting to happen)

Slappy.

10. raventalon40 says:

I’m meh on Slephyshev. If there’s room for him on the ECHL team, then let him come over and prove it. But there are plenty of skill players graduating from the CHL and college ranks every year.

Speaking of guys who are overseas, is Niko Hovinen still Oiler property? He played pretty good on a couple bad teams last year and outplayed the more famous Ilya Sorokin, albeit in limited appearances. Might have improved as a prospect.

EDIT: I just realized Hovinen is 26 yrs old and Sorokin is 19.

11. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

Anton Lander?

Well Oiled and Enthusiastic:

Anton Lander?

50 games. Anyone over 50 games doesn’t qualify.

13. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

Ahhhh. Thanks.

14. bendelson says:

Should we be concerned about his vision?

15. Bruce McCurdy says:

We have him at #15, but our guidelines are different. Your threshold is 50 games, ours is Calder eligibility. So to us Arcobello and Marincin are off the prospects list this year after having played over 25 (actually 40+) games last season.

In other words, we are very close indeed on the rankings of this player. Yakimov and a couple others, not so much.

16. jfry says:

raventalon40,

You are selling the kid short. He was drafted first overall in the khl draft and was seen as a first round talent by NHL measures but teams were afraid that his three year contract meant that he would never come over. The chl isn’t producing guys like sleppy at every turn. He was a very unique talent at 17 and hopefully his development hasn’t been totally messed up.

17. commonfan14 says:

Gordies Elbow: Greg Chase, who ended up with three points the last OK’s game I saw vs. the Hitmen

Rexall crowd reactions when Chase does something great against the Oil Kings are amusing.

People can’t quite seem to decide what’s appropriate.

18. Bank Shot says:

If Slepyshev comes over and puts up some big numbers in the AHL I might get excited about him as a prospect. Until then, mehhh.

19. Oilanderp says:

Which has a higher NHLE, KHL or AHL?

P.S. Cause I was thinkin’ of trading YakUpov for a milk smoothie. My memory is 2 years old and I emphatically explain to my zzzzzzz

20. steveb12344 says:

Woodguy:
    Slepyshev (whose last name is a nickname waiting to happen)

Slappy.

Happy-Slappy?

Air-Bud anyone…

Bruce McCurdy:

Based on your post this morning, we’re very close on Yakimov. :-)

22. Ducey says:

Whats the rule on how long the Oilers have to sign Sleepy?

Ducey:
    Whats the rule on how long the Oilers have to sign Sleepy?

I’m not sure, will look.

24. Clay says:

Reason #1745 why I love this blog – it’s the only hockey blog you’ll see the word “ribald” used for comedic effect.

On topic – If Slippy Slappy is truely a legit prospect (in the minds of mgmt, anyway), is there no way they can make a spot for him in OKC? Is it because he has no way out of his KHL deal?

Clay:

On topic – If Slippy Slappy is truely a legit prospect (in the minds of mgmt, anyway), is there no way they can make a spot for him in OKC?Is it because he has no way out of his KHL deal?

Yes. As we understand it, he has one more year on the deal.

VanOil:

The market for UFA years for prime age multitool 2nd pairing D is $5.5 to $6 million. People have to stop looking at old contracts and look at recent signings. Petry will get more than $5 million per season. People are dreaming if they think he signs for less. Heck, Nikitin got $4.5.