HYPERBOLE SEASON UNDERWAY!

Early September in the world of hockey means the suits are back, the players are skating and getting ready, but we’re still a few miles from training camp lists, physicals, scrimmages and preseason games. It means we’re getting closer, but the discussions are still off-ice and blue sky.

Example: Brad Treliving. In an article from Mark Spector today, the new Flames GM discussed Sam Bennett and his chances of making the Calgary Flames hockey club.

• Treliving: “There are a lot of guys who can play in the league. But [the real questions are] can you help the team, and is it good for you? “I would be shocked [if Bennett sticks]. He will have to come in here and show beyond a shadow of a doubt that, not only is he ready to be here, but this is what’s best for him.” Source

Tooling around the Al Gore this afternoon, there’s a lot of verbal comparing Edmonton’s rebuild with the Flames edition. Specifically, the idea that Edmonton rushed their first-round picks being a major negative and that action slowing the rebuild. As you know, this blog has spent the last several seasons promoting the idea that ‘the kids are alright’ but the veterans are so badly lacking even the gifted youngsters can’t get them above par.

Before we enter into the conversation about the great damage done by Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Nail Yakupov to Edmonton’s rebuild (honestly, I can’t believe we’re even talking about this), let’s state a few facts:

1. The last No. 1 overall selection who failed to play the following season in the NHL? Erik Johnson, 2006.
  2. The last Oilers pick NOT taken No. 1 overall to play the following season in the NHL? Sam Gagner, 2007.
  3. The last Flames pick NOT taken No. 1 overall to play the following season in the NHL? Sean Monahan, 2013.

draisaitl draft board

We’ve talked about Leon and Bennett for so long I’m kind of tired of the talk, looking forward to seeing both men in action. That said, there are some things we can say that are true without fear of bias or homerism:

This is significant. No matter what else we know, the size is an issue for Bennett. He is not the kind of skater (as Nuge was, at the same age) who can avoid traffic as needed, and what’s more that isn’t Bennett’s style. Once he arrives at the collision, Bennett is going to be the smaller man in pretty much every battle. He is 26 pounds lighter than the German, and of course he’s significantly younger, miles from man strength.

• Bennett was born June 20, 1996. He is 6,648 days old.
  • Draisaitl was born October 27, 1995. He is 6,885 days old.

This is also significant. Draisaitl is 237 days older—that’s 65% of a year, and as we know in watching these kids development that’s a pretty damn big deal. If you’re looking for an age comparable to Draisaitl, Taylor Hall was born November 14 of his draft year. Bennett’s comparable? Well, Nuge was mid-April so take off two more months and you’re where Bennett is now. It’s a tall order for Bennett, less so (but significant) for Draisaitl.

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

kelly

There are many things we can say about Sam Bennett. I think he was the best talent available in the 2014 draft, said so in the linked item. He will at some point pass Leon Draisaitl as a player, but that said I’m not sure it is fair to suggest Edmonton should have passed on the German. He was a perfect fit who scratched an itch going back 20 years, and the gap does not appear to be massive between the two kids.

The Calgary Flames made out like bandits, full credit to them and their GM for erring on the side of caution. I don’t think Edmonton’s situation with Draisaitl is at all similar, but do believe Craig MacTavish is being careless with his depth chart at center.

It could very well cost Dallas Eakins his job.

58 Responses to "HYPERBOLE SEASON UNDERWAY!"

1. Ribs says:

Matt Pfeffer @MattyPfeffer · 10m
    Okay, I’ve stalled long enough. Here is my new hockey stats site: http://progressivehockey.blogspot.ca/

Weeeeeeeeee

2. VanOil says:

Ribs,

Weeeeeeeeee indeed, thanks for the link

3. Ribs says:

Agreed that all prospects are not created equal. If they can play, they can play. I just find it kind of worrisome that Leon is pretty well pencilled in to the roster right now. This isn’t a first overall, sure-fire pick we’re talking about here. Two other teams passed on the player in the draft and it’s very possible that more teams would have done the same if given the opportunity. There is plenty of risk in assuming he will be able to transfer his skills to the NHL level this quickly.

I guess maybe I’m just surprised that there wasn’t more lip service from MacTavish, is all. Treliving is busy tempering expectations and MacTavish just tells us it’s business as usual.

Ribs:

You bet. That’s why I ended with the cloud about Eakins. Draisaitl is PROBABLY going to score 40 points on this team if they give him veteran linemates, zone start pushes and power play time. However, the lack of depth gives the team very little room to move if he fails.

I don’t worry about Arco, his issues are things like ‘can he bring the offense and stay healthy.’ The worry with Leon is ‘what if he really can’t keep up and we don’t get to see the tremendous passing because he’s chasing the puck?’

for that question, so far, Craig MacTavish has no answer.

5. nycoil says:

A couple of links to share:

LeBrun is back from summer holidays with this one about RyJo and Columbus

And since LT and others have mentioned the Ken Holland interview where he said if he’d had the high picks, they’d have been in the NHL, too, here’s the latest from Ken Holland:

Some excerpts:
    “I’ve been with the Red Wings as a player since 1983, since ’85 as a scout, and I would say that the work we did in the late ’80s and early ’90s really set us up for a decade, and in Nick Lidstrom’s case two decades,” Holland said. “And then the work that we did in the late ’90s and the 2000s — and the work at the draft table, the work of developing players — set us up for the last decade.

“If you’re going to be successful as an organization in the National Hockey League, in my opinion, you’ve got to draft well — drafting and developing.

“And free agency and trading is the complementary piece to be a good organization.”

Or this nugget:
    “My philosophy in player development was really developed through my nine years as a minor league player and then spending another nine years with Scotty Bowman in Detroit and watching him use veteran players. And when you find good veteran players with great character and they’re role models, and even when their skills start to diminish, they still know how to play the game.

“And they buy time for your young people to develop so that they’re not under pressure.”

6. nycoil says:

The latter quote above to me is further evidence MacT is trying to follow the so-called Detroit model. Exhibit A: Andrew Ference.

This makes it even more surprising he hasn’t addressed the lack of depth at C. It’s startling.

7. D says:

Eternal optimist here. The Oilers turn the corner this season and Eakins sticks long term. Center depth holds as a result of Draisaitl and his exceeding expectations.

D:
    Eternal optimist here.The Oilers turn the corner this season and Eakins sticks long term.Center depth holds as a result of Draisaitl and his exceeding expectations.

I sure hope so. Dellow’s in there!!! :-) I’d feel much better with a veteran hand in there to help.

9. Gerta Rauss says:

I’m willing to wait until the season gets started before I judge MacT and the C depth. We’ll see who passes through waivers and who may/may not be available.

MacT did say that they’ll “go to camp” with the roster as is, but the business of hockey is just getting going again, and there are going to be transactions and something may shake loose over the next 30 days.

If they leave the station with the roster as is, well, Gerta is going to be upset.

10. oliveoilers says:

If the Oilers playing of rookies before they’re ready influences the dirty Flames (ptooeh!) to hold back players that can genuinely help them, then more power to them I say!

I love this. I would hazard that the definition of a player who can play in the NHL is one that helps the team and is good for the individual. The Oilers ship IS heading in the right direction. We are slowly getting the right players on the right contracts to enable us to bring on our drafted talented at our leisure, rather out of necessity. Soon we will have the luxury of sending guys like LD back to junior and have an actual NHL player to take his place. We also will have the luxury of playing him if he’s ready with a safety net already in place. Trelivng and Burke do not realise what thin ice they’re on: I do not believe that their roster is that strong. They played Monahan last year! So, what’s their alternative? Play an AHL level player until the prospect is ready? That would entail severe suckage – almost ‘Tanking’. There, I said it. As Oiler fans, we’ve taken our knocks, and are ready for more this season. We know the pain. We know that if your box of NHLers is empty, you simply do not have the privilege of not rushing these young men – that’s corporate suicide. You have to give the fans something.

I feel for you, Calgarians, I really do. Feel contempt for you, that is! Enjoy wallowing in your own filth!

11. Ryan says:

The last comment intrigues me the most…

Dallas Eakins was given a second chance. On the one hand, he wasn’t given a buoyant boat by the GM last year…. On the other hand, no one has yet to my knowledge shown that DE has moved the needle forward, by ant discerable degree.

If/when things start going badly (forgive me, I’m an Oilers fan, so I know the plot), how much rope does DE have left?

oliveoilers:

I feel for you, Calgarians, I really do.Feel contempt for you, that is!Enjoy wallowing in your own filth!

Poetry. Absolute poetry.

Ryan:
    The last comment intrigues me the most…

Dallas Eakins was given a second chance. On the one hand, he wasn’t given a buoyant boat by the GM last year….On the other hand, no one has yet to my knowledge shown that DE has moved the needle forward, by ant discerable degree.

14. justDOit says:

oliveoilers:

I feel for you, Flames fans, I really do.Feel contempt for you, that is!Enjoy wallowing in your own filth!

ftfy – not everyone who lives here worships the flaming C!

15. Gerta Rauss says:

Lowetide: None. If he starts 4-11-2, he’s gone. By the way, did you see the Oilers depth chart at C?

So, I guess the follow up question to that LT, is, how much rope does MacT then have..?..and Kevin Lowe..?

16. justDOit says:

I’ve seen Draisaitl’s weight listed at 204, 208, and recently 215 lbs. Hyperbole season seems to be at the three-quarter pole already.

17. oliveoilers says:

justDOit: ftfy – not everyone who lives here worships the flaming C!

Sorry Justy! Delete ‘Calgarians’, insert ‘Dirty Flamers’.

Gerta Rauss: So, I guess the follow question to that LT is, how much rope does MacT then have..?..and Kevin Lowe..?

MacT and Lowe have most of the rest of Katz’ lifetime.

justDOit:
    I’ve seen Draisaitl’s weight listed at 204, 208, and recently 215 lbs.Hyperbole season seems to be at the three-quarter pole already.

That was combine number. Jason Gregor had him up 10 pounds later in the summer.

Gordon, Hendricks, Nuge and Arco on the PK this year

21. Ryan says:

Iirc, you said it already. The Oilers management have some ability to talk themselves into doing something stupid.

My oft mocked but actual sources have gone dry for now.

I would pay actual $ to know how much Mact is sweating the Oilers depth at centre situation.

22. RexLibris says:

You know LT, one of the things I think we can find eternal agreement upon is the ability for the sports teams from Calgary to get our blood pressure up at will.

I mean, I write for FN, granted, but I work very hard to keep an objective opinion when contributing/commenting and there are days. Obviously it is easier when the team is in a downturn.

As soon as I saw the quote from Treliving I was reminded of your post way back when Feaster made his “desert” comment. Treliving’s seems innocuous, but I can’t help but respond mentally with an “oh, reeeealllly!”

As Rom and I stated in the previous thread, cynics are going to try and tie the two situations together facts be damned. And as I mentioned before, the Flames C position is very different from the that of the Oilers.

I’ll repeat something I’ve written ad nauseam over at FN in response to countless (literally, I’ve lost count) of comments comparing the two rebuilds. Usually in response to statements such as:

- the Flames are further ahead after one year than the Oilers after eight (flat out wrong)
    - the Flames can rebuild in one year the same way the Flyers, Sens and Ducks have (you don’t have a Spezza, Getzlaf, etc)
    - Outside of their 1st overall picks the Oilers haven’t found a single NHL talent in their rebuild
    and so on (unrealistic/uninformed perceptions)
    - the Flames are on the path of the Blackhawks while the Oilers are an example of a failed rebuild like the Islanders, Blue Jackets, Panthers and so on.

These are not necessarily the opinions of the majority. I have had some excellent and insightful conversations with many on FN, second only to those I have here.

For years now, I have been hammering home the point that the two rebuilds, in fact any two rebuilds cannot be compared side to side because each and every team has it’s own particular set of circumstances that dictate their rebuilding effort.

In the Oilers’ case the complete collapse of the developmental system leading up to 2009 as a result of short-term cost-cutting by ownership cannot be overstated.

With regards to the Flames roster, they have a terrific young C and stud young D-man around which to build and had the boon of trading two valuable assets simultaneously to add draft picks in a draft year considered to be relatively deep.

Those traits that I find most aggravating amongst Flames fans I likewise find embarrassing amongst any fan base, including the Oilers. Namely, ignorance and obstinate arrogance.

Back to the article, though. I understand you may not want to throw anyone under the bus, but when you say “tooling around the internet”, where there any sites in particular that raised your ire?

23. Frank The Dog says:

1) The EIG was underfunded. The results of this were:

That is what MacT walked into.
    > A well funded team
    > A strong farm system
    > A unified coaching staff
    > A dramatically improved roster with an influx of actual NHL players.

So what can we expect?
    > Better motivation
    >Better line combinations
    > More points scored and less points allowed, i.e. more wins.

We’ll see.

24. Deadman Waiting says:

If the center caves, it’s not going to cost us Eakins. It’s going to cost us Gernat, who gets thrown in as a Fedexalose sweetener on a deal he might have made straight across if trading from a position of unexplosive decompression (aka the usual bends).

———

MacT screeches his Lamborghini rag top to a halt, flagrantly double-parked beside the hotel taxi stand, where the rag tag remnants of dismal prospects have commenced final dispersion. Not even pausing to finger the handle, he leaps over the door with the agility of a silver fox, leaving velvety Veronica shivering slightly in her double-knit crop-top ruffle.

“I’ll be right back,” he calls out over his shoulder as he strides into the hotel bar at well under three minutes to rolled sidewalk.

Avoiding eye contact with the drum-fingered barkeep, he strides bruskly through the pot-light haze, pivoting slightly on his last stride to pop the door to the men’s room open with a well-placed blow from the outside of his left shoe. Never touch the handle if you don’t have to! One can go far in life with the proper principles.

“Shit, coins only” he mutters, wheeling about mid frame, mid stride. “You got change for a twenty?” he calls over to the dour barkeep.

“Nope,” says the barkeep.

“Well, what have you got?”

“Three Toonies.” Here the barkeep rattles a forlorn tip jar that wasn’t even worth closing out.

“My, what a coincidence. That’s precisely how much I need!”

Downsized, but jingling, MacT gives the men’s room door another practiced kick. “It bloody well better be a three-pack for six freaking bucks,” he mutters to himself as he grasps the chrome-plated dispenser wheel with fourteen dollars worth of clean, freshly serrated paper towel, carefully wadded into a double-pleated security fold, while his other hand positions itself to gingerly fish out the precious wares.

Just in time, too, he notes after glancing at his watch—though ever so briefly, it’s a moment too long—he nearly bowls over a Filipino cleaning lady almost completely obscured by the bright yellow “slippery when wet” cleaning sign halfway wrangled into sovereignty at the nexus of the tile T-junction, now brightly lighted and breezy, with the main entrance ajar for the imminent ingress of the fat-accordion cleaning hose.

“Shit! They better not mess up my wheels with that nasty hose”, he says to himself, as he hot-foots it back out into the street making barely surreptitious, quasi-covert double time, with only the briefest kink in his stride to smooth down a lick of hair over his greying temple with the outside of his left thumb.

As he settles himself haunch-deep into the svelte bucket, the hypothermic fawn shoots him a frosty glare. “You’re sure quick when you want to be, after we stood outside on the sidewalk for half an hour because you refused to tip the door man a meagre ten spot.”

“I didn’t have a ten spot, honey. Your place or mine?”

Veronica’s answer is lost to the wind as the Lamborghini’s muscular surge (precision launched with the very briefest of warning chirps) forcibly bends her gaze heavenward under the rosy tint of a low-hanging harvest moon.

25. Dee Dee says:

The problem with the Oilers rebuild wasn’t the fact that the first overall’s played immediately.

The problem was that the Oilers so desperately wanted to ensure that they finished in last place for a long string of years that they did not ice competitive teams.

They made sure they finished last by drilling 1,000 holes in their boat and the young ones paid the price for that decision, in many ways. Sink or swim and I’m not sure all the young ones made it, there are so many bad habits to be unlearned.

Oilers management was saying one thing to their paying public and doing the exact opposite in actuality.

Hall’s entry level contract was thrown on a shitpile along with RNH. Yak’s was thrown on the shitpile and then shot a few times for good measure.

Last year was the first year that they actually tried to be competitive.

Tambellini wasn’t entirely to blame, he was following orders and was allowed to do everything he did. They even rewarded him with an extension. If he wasn’t following managements plan he would have been punted much much earlier.

Hopefully Craig Ramsay can help turn things around and its nice that they have the next coach in place if Eakins doesn’t get results but the Oilers decisions are mind-boggling and it’s amazing that they don’t get called on it.

Name one other organization in professional sports that was in last place, for years, and decided to cure the problem by hiring a rookie GM who then decides to hire a rookie coach to lead them to victory.

The team can turn it around, but it will take a buy in from everyone. The star forwards are going to have to learn how to play a complete game and not just worry about scoring goals and sitting on the blue line in their own end waiting for the puck.

26. RexLibris says:

Gordon, Hendricks, Nuge and Arco on the PK this year

Great.

So then when is that clone of Nugent-Hopkins going to be ready and how do we fit him under the cap, because that much ice time would kill most mortals.

Also, I wrote the following in regards to Stajan’s ZS last year and I think it applies to Gordon: (coach) buried him so deep that even Dracula would’ve been claustrophobic.

With regards to the PK ranking, that is impressive. Some thoughts: if this press-gangs some wingers like Eberle onto 4v5 rotation, I would hope to see a more aggressive PK that pushes for possession with the goal of drawing even or, ultimately, scoring. Also, I think extra PK time for some of the wingers like Eberle and Perron could dampen their production and eat away at that goal total you’d predicted.

Another fancy-stats site hit beta today.

This one has data back to 02/03

MARC-ANDRE.BERGERON 53.7
    FERNANDO.PISANI 54.46
    ALES.HEMSKY 55.5
    BRAD.RICHARDS 54.61
    FREDRIK.MODIN 56.01
    STEVE.STAIOS 52.09

Bloody Pronger did it with a negative Relative Zone start too.

If you look at the page (can’t link, it downloads an excel file once you pick your paramaters) you see all the Oilers had PDOs of about 950.

GET A GODDAM GOALIE LOWE, YOU HAVE A GOOD TEAM!!!

Man.

You won’t see a post from LT for a few days now because he’ll just get lost in this site.

Soooo many parameters to play around with.

Lowetide: I sure hope so. Dellow’s in there!!! I’d feel much better with a veteran hand in there to help.

I’d trade a 7th for Horcoff.

29. Bruce McCurdy says:

Woodguy:
    Another fancy-stats site hit beta today.

Soooo many parameters to play around with.

Woodguy: I’d trade a 7th for Horcoff.

I’d throw in the rights to Phil Larsen too.

Ribs: Weeeeeeeeee

Rickibear will love this.

Breaks down SV% by shot location

Bruce McCurdy: Here I was worried that Extra Skater would disappear into the mists without a replacement, when of course there are about 76,923 computer & stats nerds out there going “holy shit, that dude got a JOB with the LEAFS!!”

I’d throw in the rights to Phil Larsen too.

I know of two others working on sites.

I wasn’t too worried.

Frank The Dog,

Very good post Frank

Woodguy: I’d trade a 7th for Horcoff.

Yep.

34. Frank The Dog says:

Woodguy,

Thank you.

Frank The Dog:

1) The EIG was underfunded. The results of this were:

2)While Tambellini did a good job of rebuilding the farm system, hewas incompetent at building an NHL roster. By the time MacT arrived the team was almost devoid of NHL caliber players.

That is what MacT walked into.
    The turnaround started with a new owner that has pockets as deep as anyone else in the league. His first efforts were simply to go whale hunting, which was thwarted by item 4) above. But he has persevered and build up a solidfame system and apparently a sound scouting staff.
    > A well funded team
    > A strong farm system
    > A unified coaching staff
    > A dramatically improved roster with an influx of actual NHL players.

So what can we expect?
    > Better motivation
    >Better line combinations
    > More points scored and less points allowed, i.e. more wins.

We’ll see.

Excellent. Very sound.

DSF has a blog!

It’s also on the blog roll.

Everyone is playing around with historical data on http://war-on-ice.com/

#Oilers score-close Fenwick from 2006 playoffs:
    R1 vs. Detroit: 39.3%
    R4 vs. Carolina: 56.3%

I’m going to go kick a picture of MAB.

Man.

DSF has a blog!

It’s also on the blog roll.

I don’t see a blogroll button anywhere

39. Ribs says:

Woodguy: I don’t see a blogroll button anywhere

It’s there now. I was really hoping it would lead to this, though.

Ribs: It’s there now. I was really hoping it would lead to this, though.

Ha!

Ribs,

I still don’t see it.

Maybe because I’m running adblock?

I am also not that observant and once lost a pair of winter boats on the way home from school.

I had them on when I left school, but was in socks when I got home and had no idea where they were.

True story.

42. Hammers says:

Frank The Dog: I’ve seen some very cogent reasons for this team’s failure over the last many years, and the 1st round picks have not been one of them. The most cogent reason, as I see it, are: 1) The EIG was underfunded. The results of this were:1a) We lost our farm system. Our prospects were farmed out to the farm systems of other teams.1b) We could not afford to retain the top players we developed. Polkington sold Gretzky, we could not afford to keep players like Doug Weight and Bill Guerin. The 2005/6 Cup run was a blip, a reverse perfect storm of good trading that took advantage of the implementation of the Salary Cap.2) While Tambellini did a good job of rebuilding the farm system, he was incompetent at building an NHL roster. By the time MacT arrived the team was almost devoid of NHL caliber players. 3) The Head Coaches were not allowed to select their own Assistants, but were held accountable for the results. The Assistants had more clout than the HC’s and so it was the HC’s that went instead of the HC’s and Assistants or just the Assistants, until this off-season. There also has to have been dissention in the ranks as the AC’s were the incumbents and had the ears of Management, which had to have hobbled the HC’s. 4) The outcome of having a poor roster, a broken pipeline, and incompetent coaching, created a toxic atmosphere that has to have cost us players like Horcoff and Hemsky that just wanted out, as well as getting Edmonton onto many player’s NMC’s. More gutting of the roster. That is what MacT walked into.The turnaround started with a new owner that has pockets as deep as anyone else in the league. His first efforts were simply to go whale hunting, which was thwarted by item 4) above. But he has persevered and build up a solid fame system and apparently a sound scouting staff.He took the advice of his misinformed trusted lieutenant and not only left Tambellini in place for too long, but also the Assistants. In any normal scenario, one would expect the AC’s to be turfed along with the HC, or at least to give the HC a chance to turf the inherited staff after the first year, as MacT has now done with Eakins.Then with Tambellini’s departure and MacT’s ascendancy, we have had a purge of the roster, and an influx of genuine NHL players. So where are we now?> A well funded team> A strong farm system> A unified coaching staff> At least one Assistant with a proven NHL track record. Make that 2 with Acton Sr.> A dramatically improved roster with an influx of actual NHL players. So what can we expect?A team made up of competent players that will now enjoy competent coaching at the NHL level. This will result in> Better motivation>Better line combinations> More points scored and less points allowed, i.e. more wins. I’m not saying it’s time to plan the parade, nor do I know whether Eakins has the wherewithal to take this team all the way. I do think though that we will at least be a team worth watching this season especially if Ramsay can work his magic on players like Yakupov and Schultz. We’ll see.

You actually laid that out as well as could be expected .

It’s ‘DEAD CAT BOUNCING’ blog. That blogroll has been active lately!

44. Ribs says:

Woodguy:
    Ribs,

I still don’t see it.

Maybe because I’m running adblock?

True story.

It shows up under Copper and Blue for me.

Try Ctrl+F and type in the name if you’re using chrome.

45. G Money says:

Woodguy: Maybe because I’m running adblock?

Running adblock.

No blogroll.

46. Hammers says:

Just finished reading the posts and I feel there is still some animostity to Lowe & McT . Sly inuendo . The truth for me is they are very capable to do there jobs . They have the experience of them both going to game 7 in 06 & with both sets of hands tied , the faith from todays owner , the money , coaches they obviously trust , a group of young upcoming stars as well as proven NHL players. We need to see this play out and yes I expect a push to the playoffs , probably a bit short but if we do miss its the last time and for a long time .

47. Ribs says:

G Money,

Huh, not sure what to tell you guys. I’m running AdBlock as well and it shows up just fine for me. Might be different depending on OS or device.

48. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

Well said in your post LT. I agree with your overall assessment. LD will be insulated on this team, Bennett would be exposed. They are simply too thin on talent in Calgary. There isn’t dependence on LD. Our previously drafted kids are now established and ready for prime time and will shoulder the load. First line is upper tier in this league and I think Taylor Hall is going to throw a bucket of ice water on those slumbering eastern Canadian media types. I know LD gets pushed forward as a 2C this year but I don’t think that transpires. Arco will suitably handle this for this season and LD takes that spot next year. Even if Arco gets injured, I’m not sure he slots ahead of Lander for platoon duty, but he may surprise us all in his speed of development. I’m not expecting it for this season.

I know you’re a Bennett advocate, but I’m not sure I can support you that he surpasses LD down the line. It is early days but I’m eager to watch LD further develop his North American game. The guy is an offensive weapon in the shape of a tank. Capable of slowing the game down around him.

49. G Money says:

Ribs,

Adblock + Chrome then?

50. Ribs says:

G Money,

Yep. You’re looking on the homepage, right? It doesn’t appear within a posting.

51. Frank The Dog says:

Hammers,
    “You actually laid that out as well as could be expected .”

Thanks, however I spotted a few too many typos in my post publishing proof read. I appreciate the positive reception.

52. Bruce McCurdy says:

DSF has a blog!

It’s also on the blog roll.

Good news. Interesting first post.

53. nycoil says:

Woodguy:
    Ribs,

I still don’t see it.

Maybe because I’m running adblock?

True story.

Well, if you lost a couple of boats on the way home from school, no wonder you lost the blog roll. Those things are hard to lose on land. Especially if they are ice cutters, which is presumably what you meant by a winter boat? I do know where you can find a pair of piss cutters, though. Unfortunately they play on the west coast for a team called the Dys.

54. rickithebear says:

Ribs: Weeeeeeeeee

Ribs I hoped for a site like this.

Sure would be nice to have a shot by distance chart for rebound shots.
    All your data has x,y?

Scrivens
    SH Save%,
    Ev save%,
    Rebound rate.
    We are a very lucky team.

55. Romulus Apotheosis says:

ha… I just popped in to post Dead Cat’s new blog… and there it is.

we share a fondness for our strange friend here.

56. russ99 says:

Dee Dee:

Either way, how long will it take to drop this “complete game” rhetoric?

Hopefully very quickly.

We’re the Oilers and we’ve lost our identity trying to play like Nashville and Phoenix, and regressing because of it. Hopefully things like the dynasty reunion (assuming the dynasty items are going back in the locker room) and all the work MacT did this offseason can help get it back.

We have better overall players in goal, on defense and in our bottom/middle six. We’ve improved our staff. We should be playing better defensively as a team without our top skill players sacrificing o-zone chances to get back on D all the time.

57. Frank The Dog says:

russ99: Either Eakins changes up his “my way or the highway” ideals and listens to his new assistants and works with our players or we’ll stumble out of the gate again and he’ll be replaced by Ramsay.

All of Quinn, Renney, Krueger and Eakins had to deal with incumbent Assistant Coaches that had more political clout than the HC. At the time it appeared to more than a few that the team was out of control. MacT brought Eakins in to get this team back on track. With dissident Associates and a dysfunctional team it’s no wonder Eakins took the hard line, unfortunately it was somewhat misdirected at the time, but something they had to go through to for the truth to ultimately emerge.

This also explains why Eakins made an outsider Captain instead of an incumbent player. The difference between Eakins and the others, is Eakins had MacT’s support. MacT may have heard what the AC’s had to say but he also listened to Eakins, fortunately. The outcome is that the GM backed his hired HC over his ex-teammates, a pivotal, far reaching decision. Strong leadership.

So last year Eakins had to deal with a divided coaching staff and a divided locker room. This year we have a HC whose staff is hand picked. Staff unity is assured. the players will now be getting the same message at all levels.

This being the case it is more likely that he will be able to revert to being a kinder gentler coach with a sharp edge only where necessary, and with the full support of his GM and staff. Which is why he will likely be let go if he doesn’t make discernable progress this year, which I believe he will do, lack of depth at 2C notwithstanding.

Edit: I would also suggest that he would be replaced by Nelson, not Ramsay.