LOUD NOISES: FINDING HIS SMILE

We’re two weeks from TC and a full week (or more) from the full training camp list, but the depth chart is known to us now. Surprises will emerge—the battle on defense is going to be raucous—but we can hammer out a depth chart and then follow the surprises as they move up and down the list.

EDMONTON OILERS DEPTH CHART, SEPTEMBER 2014

KYLE PLATZER CHRIS BALTISBERGER
VLADIMIR TKACHEV

LEFT DEFENSE RIGHT DEFENSE
MARTIN MARINCIN JEFF PETRY
NIKITA NIKITIN MARK FAYNE
ANDREW FERENCE JUSTIN SCHULTZ
KEITH AULIE OSCAR KLEFBOM (70k)
DARNELL NURSE (NHL OR JR) DAVID MUSIL (70k)
BRAD HUNT DILLON SIMPSON (70k)
MARTIN GERNAT CJ LUDWIG

RICHARD BACHMAN
  LAURENT BROSSOIT
  TYLER BUNZ
  FRANS TUOHIMAA
  TY RIMMER
  KEVEN BOUCHARD

If you’re looking for players who could surprise, it’s often men we’re not terribly familiar with for one reason or another—or players who have taken a big step forward in growth, conditioning or maturity. An example in (fairly) recent Oiler history was Kyle Brodziak, who spent on September eating Marc Pouliot’s lunch. It would eventually get Brodziak traded—Oilers chose wrong—but he set himself up for an NHL career during the period before and during that TC.

FIVE SURPRISES

1. Nail Yakupov—He’s actually in a really good spot. Fans and observers remember him when he was struggling, and if this guy can get his smile back then sky’s the limit. I’m never, not ever, going to bet against this man. He’s too cool. If Nail Yakupov hadn’t come to Edmonton, we would have had to invent him. I imagine he’ll do something completely crazy when he wins Stanley, and I hope it’s on Edmonton ice.
  2. Anton Lander—Oh, Anton, oh Anton, the time the time is now. Call up whatever blonde Swedish God you feel will deliver, and break on through to the other side. This team needs you as much as you need them, and if you can do the job we’ll love you for a long time.
  3. Greg Chase—He is apparently lighter and faster. Todd Nelson: “He played five games and scored a big goal for us in our quest to get into the playoffs,” said Nelson. “And just watching him in camp here, he’s in better shape. I think the experience he had with us really helped him out. He dropped 10 pounds and is a lot faster. That was always his Achilles heel, the speed of the game caught up to him, but he looks great.”Source
  4. Frans Tuohimaa—We know nothing about him, really. Oilers fans have watched the other prospects (in some cases very closely) but Tuohimaa is an ‘Opaque goalkeeper‘ who could surprise in training camp. He’s got a quick glove, and he’s got a ripe opportunity.
  5. Jackson Houck—We’re here, and we need a Grier. I’m nominating Jackson Cage, and his resume looks pretty rocking. I’m sure last season’s camp was a blur, Houck needs to come in and run over the first Flame he gets in the crosshairs, and then do it again.

55 Responses to "LOUD NOISES: FINDING HIS SMILE"

I’m mad at him. :-)

2. RexLibris says:

This is why we will always get along.

3. Mr DeBakey says:

Jonathan Willis:
    Joensuu?

Gesundheit

4. RexLibris says:

Out of curiosity, what is the cut-off for players on this list to participate in the Penticton?

Is it one year in the AHL, thereby eliminating players like Gernat, Musil, etc?

5. RexLibris says:

Jonathan Willis:

Stupid Finns!

I heard he was a Rider fan and now LT won’t return his calls.

RexLibris:

Is it one year in the AHL, thereby eliminating players like Gernat, Musil, etc?

7. OilClog says:

Maybe it’s just me but I remember Mr.Yak as being incredible, and Dallas Eakins being very.. How to do say “idiotic” nicely? Really not trying to be rude or cross lines just saying that any and all ill will towards Yakupov should be directed at the Man behind the bench. If anyone sitting on a couch can see it…

8. RexLibris says:

I hope Bruce has updated his address.

If you click on the link there is a map that outlines the Cosmic Void and if you squint you can almost make out the Flames’ AHL team there.

9. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: It’s all over hell’s half acre. Especially goalies, but really if someone was hurt during the year they could bring in a guy on his entry level deal for sure.

RexLibris:
    I hope Bruce has updated his address.

I think I see 7 of 9!!

RexLibris: Thanks. I’m planning a write-up of Oilers prospects for the tourney and wanted to get a head start on some of the names expected rather than try and get the whole thing put together in a night.

What’s the opposite of lollygagger?

12. ididtheiggy says:

Jonathan Willis

13. thejonrmcleod says:

If anyone’s interested, I have a new post on The Oilers Rig: “Will the Oilers Trade Jeff Petry for a Centre?” I quoted a couple of Lowetide commenters.

14. nycoil says:

thejonrmcleod,

Nice post. Bailey hasn’t played centre in ages, though. So agree it’s not a good idea.

nycoil:
    thejonrmcleod,

That said, I wouldn’t trade Petry for him.

16. nycoil says:

You’re missing Grabovski in place of Nelson, who is getting a shot at 2LW. It also looks like Strome is going to be 2RW on the Grabovski-Kulemin line to start.

Tavares
    Grabovski
    Nielsen
    Cizikas

But sure, I hear your point. Would love to pry Nielsen from them, but so would a dozen other teams.

17. Pouzar says:

LT,

I know I’ve asked this before….and not long ago either, but where is Big John McCarron playing this year….will he be in camp?

Pouzar:
    LT,

It looks like he’ll spend his final year at Cornell and then we’ll see

He’s a big winger, suspect there’s interest from EDM.

19. Pouzar says:

Great thx!

20. LMHF#1 says:

Go Ty Rimmer Go!

Could be #3 on that depth chart if he makes a run and gets playing time.

21. oilspillcali says:

Hey Lowetide
    What do u think the chances are that we see a perron-esque deal with STL again seeing as bith they and Jordan Swartz are really far apart in cap and we could probably take on a center contract from them just like last year. I know we were all hoping for Patrice Berglund a couple months ago, maybe that could become a reality with the Swartz ordeal

22. Rocknrolla says:

Question for those more knowledgeable on the subject of Jason Williams?

Is he that far gone or could be be a reliable 2 way guy for us for half the year? Could he insulate the draisaitl arco combo?

23. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Can we please (pretty please) call Liam Coughlin, “Liam Coughling”?

oh, i’d like that so very much.

Lowetide: I hear you, but he might be able to play center and yet not be the best option for NYI. 49.6% last season (in 228 FO sorties) so he’s not a disaster. NYI’s C depth chart above him: Tavares, Nielson, cizikas, Nelson and Strome.

That said, I wouldn’t trade Petry for him.

I wouldn’t put Cizikas above him.

Cizikas actually plays C, but that’s more or less because NYI had a wasteland 4th line like the Oilers.

Be interesting to see if they do it again, they have the horses to run 3 unicorns and have Nielsen eat everyone’s lunch in the Dzone.

25. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: What’s the opposite of lollygagger?

Not sure. But I can check my old report cards and tell you some synonyms for it. ;)

26. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“He dropped 10 pounds and is a lot faster. That was always his Achilles heel, the speed of the game caught up to him, but he looks great.

IIRC, one of the LAK kids had something similar happen… Vey maybe? suddenly got fasted by quite a bit after draft.

RexLibris:
    I hope Bruce has updated his address.

Thanks for that.

I love how the supercluster looks a lot like a nervous system.

I get no end of joy seeing very similar fractal shapes show up from molecules all the way to galaxy superclusters.

Romulus Apotheosis,

Vey maybe? suddenly got fasted by quite a bit after draft.

I imagine he dropped quite a bit of weight then.

I’m here all week, tip your waitress.

29. Hammers says:

To many with unsigned contracts but some or most will go to Penticton first, but not full camp. Not sure why you have Yak & Lander under surprises . Far from it as Yak will get 50+ points & Lander will play 75 games . The other 3 are futures and like I say in business you never rely on futures . Sell what you have as its todays money that counts not tomorrows .

30. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Vey maybe? suddenly got fasted by quite a bit after draft.

I imagine he dropped quite a bit of weight then.

I’m here all week, tip your waitress.

31. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I’ll be damned if I can get this one. what’s the joke? It’s driving me nuts. feel like an idiot over here…

SHIT! Fuck. Cat-Barn!

just caught the typo.

I’ll be sure to tip your waiter, WG. nice catch.

32. nycoil says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

You wrote fasted in place of faster, so “dropped quite a bit of weight”

Edit- You beat me to it. But then Woodguy made a typo yesterday, which I called out but went unnoticed. “Winter boats”

33. bill needle says:

This is the mission for the young players on the right wing: If you want an NHL job out of training camp, you will have to be better than Jesse Joensuu, who will be the default fourth-line right-winger if no one stands out. They’ll switch him to the right side unless someone plays like they mean it during the exhibition season.
    Until he gets hurt. And he will – he always does.
    It doesn’t really matter who the player will be, as long as he’s better than Joensuu.

oilspillcali:
    Hey Lowetide
    What do u think the chances are that we see a perron-esque deal with STL again seeing as bith they and Jordan Swartz arereally far apart in cap and we could probably take on a center contract from them just like last year. I know we were all hoping for Patrice Berglund a couple months ago, maybe that could become a reality with the Swartz ordeal

Blues lost Sobotka this summer, they’ll get this solved.

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Can we please (pretty please) call Liam Coughlin, “Liam Coughling”?

oh, i’d like that so very much.

I kind of like it myself. :-)

36. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: Thanks for that.

I love how the supercluster looks a lot like a nervous system.

I noticed that as well.

At times it looks like two hemispheres of the brain, at others almost like the vascular system of an eyeball. Definitely has a neuron-like tendril aesthetic as well.

I’m not ashamed to admit, I got goose-bumps watching that.

When your day is filled with stories of ISIS, Russia/Ukraine, hacked nudes on an iPhone, and so much other human “noise” of varying degrees, seeing this just restores a little majesty to the world we live in.

37. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis: SHIT! Fuck. Cat-Barn!

just caught the typo.

I’ll be sure to tip your waiter, WG. nice catch.

hee hee

Well done, WG.

38. jp says:

Rocknrolla:
    Question for those more knowledgeable on the subject of Jason Williams?

Is he that far gone or could be be a reliable 2 way guy for us for half the year?Could he insulate the draisaitl arco combo?

Not at all sure I’m more knowledgeable, and I’m no Jason Williams expert. All I’m going on is his boxcars, but they weren’t very pretty: He’s 34 and just put up 32-8-10-18 and -12 in Switzerland. (http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=8713). That -12 was the worst on his team.

Some (admittedly cherry picked) context for his most recent season in the Swiss NLA:
    Matt Lombardi 46-20-30-50 (NLA leading scorer)
    Alex Giroux 46-20-18-38 (William’s teammate and former Oiler farmhand)
    Rob Schremp 42-9-27-36
    Robert Nilsson 31-10-24-34
    MA Pouliot 40-8-22-30
    Richard Park 41-12-17-29
    Hnat Domenicheli 42-12-12-24
    Ryan Keller 37-11-10-21 (OKC a few years back)
    Lennart Petrell 50-5-16-21
    Frederik Pettersson 20-7-12-19 (way old Oilers draft pick)
    Jason Williams 32-8-10-18
    Jim Vandermeer 49-2-10-12

Honestly, I wonder how effective he’ll be in the AHL based on this. He’ll probably be a useful top 6 vet, but I’d be shocked if he blew the doors off in OKC. In 2011-12, the last time he played in the AHL, he scored 59-13-29-42.

This is not definitive proof of anything, but I don’t think we should expect Jason Williams to make any significant NHL contribution this coming year.

39. Hockeyman 99 says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

It was Tyler Tofoli.

40. Hockeyman 99 says:

Speaking of Heavy I was in Kelowna where Heatly was practicing with other NHLers. Player I know that was in the dressing room said he was fat. LOL. SOOOO glad he never came to Edmonton. Makes you wonder how good he could have been if he was commited.

nycoil:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

You wrote fasted in place of faster, so “dropped quite a bit of weight”

I noticed it, but not until the next day.

42. WeridAl says:

Brad Hunt played RD, & Klefbom plays LD

In his first game in the KHL this season, Anton Slepyshev played 2:47 and had a shot on goal. Interesting the 2:47 came on three shifts, appears the entire team plays :55 second shifts.Down 0-3 after one.

44. Yeti says:

He played 2.47 the entire game, or just the first period? I’m guessing the latter, which would keep him on track for his habitual 9mins ice time per game.

HAAAAAAANNNNGGGGG ON SLOOPY

SLOOPY HANG ON!!

Woodguy: HAAAAAAANNNNGGGGG ON SLOOPY

SLOOPY HANG ON!!

Ha! Perfect. First period over now, 4 shifts and 3:51 for Sloopy. That’s about 12 tonight if he keeps at that pace, Harski is 4:22 through 7 shifts.

47. Maurey says:

Players I hope surprise during training camp and exhibition:

Yakimov shows us he might be a capable NHLer before the season is done and may dominate the AHL while he’s there.
    Chase shows us he deserves 9 games.
    Nurse shows us the decision at 9 games will be a tough one.
    Tkachev shows us why it was a mistake not to the draft the guy with 30 pts in only 20 games of North American hockey (ie. if that’s his production during his adjustment phase, then… wow).
    Joensuu shows me why I still hold out some hope for him.
    Winquist and Holmberg show us what the top scorers in the W can bring to camp
    Oesterle shows us that he has some game and will provide an accurate comparison for why the Oilers should be courting his college teammate Kenney Morrison.
    Gernat will show us that he may jump up the depth chart and why Marincin should pack on more pounds.
    Draisaitl will show us that he could be a Calder contender and future 1C/2C.
    Arcobello will, again, show us why he was a better option than Gagner at 2C all along.
    Pakarinen will show us why he is so good to deserve being on the lineup twice.

48. Pouzar says:

Hammers:

If Yak scores 50+ I will do a newfie jig for ya.
    That would be frickin excellent

49. Pouzar says:

Hockey updates.
    Honest-to-Gord Hockey Updates!

50. Pouzar says:

Slepy with a SOG!!!!

51. Ca$h-Money! says:

Pouzar:
    Slepy with a SOG!!!!

PLAN THE F*$CKING PARADE!

I get a little riled up this time of year….

52. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Hockeyman 99:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

It was Tyler Tofoli.

Thanks. they were all one prospect in my mind anyway. Vey isn’t even there anymore.