OKLAHOMA CITY BARONS (COMPLETE RE 14-15)

A year ago, the Oklahoma City Barons scored 239 goals. This year, I’m predicting they will score 224—most of the offensive downturn comes from an inexperienced forward group. The Barons will have veterans—Matt Ford, Jason Williams, Ryan Hamilton—but the roster will have more prospects and players who were retained despite struggling through their entry-level deals.

PROJECTED LINES AND PAIRINGS

• L1: Ryan Hamilton—Jason Williams—Matt Ford
  • L2: Iiro Pakarinen—Bogdan Yakimov—Andrew Miller
  • L3: Curtis Hamilton—Jujhar Khaira—Steve Pinizzotto
  • L4: Mitchell Moroz—Will Acton—Travis Ewanyk
  • D1: Brad Hunt—David Musil
  • D2: Martin Gernat—Brandon Davidson
  • D3: Jordan Oesterle—Dillon Simpson
  • G: Richard Bachman, Laurent Brossoit

This depth chart represents the team over the entire year. I have Oscar Klefbom beginning the year in OKC before callup, and Jesse Joensuu makes an appearance on the Barons projections too.

Rockford vs. Barons 2-28-14

Rockford vs. Barons 2-28-14

1. Richard Bachman 40GP, 2.75 .915
  2. Laurent Brossoit 20GP, 3.00 .902
  3. Ty Rimmer 10GP, 2.90 .907
  4. Frans Tuohimaa 3GP, 3.33 .899
  5. Tyler Bunz 3GP 3.66 .885

I have the Barons improving defensively, giving up 230 goals (while scoring 224). A year ago, the club was 239-256.

31 Responses to "OKLAHOMA CITY BARONS (COMPLETE RE 14-15)"

1. raventalon40 says:

No love for Mitch Holmberg?

raventalon40:
    No love for Mitch Holmberg?

I have him playing 35 games, and scoring 7 goals. I don’t know if it’s reasonable to project more, but if he scores 20 that’ll be a helluva year!

3. Ca$h-Money! says:

Calling my long shot: Ty Rimmer holds the starters post by year end.

4. fifthcartel says:

A .902 save percentage on the year would be pretty disappointing for Brossoit.

fifthcartel:
    A.902 save percentage on the year would be pretty disappointing for Brossoit.

I don’t think he’s going to be an NHL goalie.

6. wheatnoil says:

If Klefbom starts the year in OKC:

Klefbom – Musil
    Gernat – Davidson
    Hunt – Simpson

That’s a pretty damn good looking D-line, with Simpson as the only rookie. None of them are unreasonable for at least a cup of coffee in the NHL.

7. Zack says:

Nice RE Lowetide. I’m interested to see how Yakimov, Khaira, Moroz and Simpson do this year. Now, when are they bringing those jerseys to the big club?

8. RexLibris says:

C BOGDAN YAKIMOV 64 22 23 45

That’d be one heck of a nice line for Yakimov. I like the kid, but I’m not sure he adapts to the AHL that quickly.

Not saying he isn’t capable, and the size can’t hurt, but that is a very nice season for a pro NA rookie. A lot will depend on his linemates. If he gets Moroz, well that’d be a duo worth watching. A lot of beef on that line.

RexLibris:
    C BOGDAN YAKIMOV64222345

Yeah, it might be too high, but in aiming for reasonable I had to ask two things:

1. What IS the gap between KHL and AHL
    2. How impressive was Yakimov’s season based on it being year one in the KHL and getting 9 minutes a night?

I decided very.

10. Jonathan Willis says:

Interesting that you’ve swapped Hunt back to the left side and Davidson over to the right. It’s certainly possible, and I understand the logic in giving each of the kids a veteran partner, but I think we’d be more likely to see something like this:

- Davidson/Hunt
    - Gernat/Musil

Davidson and Hunt played together last year and had pretty decent chemistry, while Gernat and Musil did at times, too. Plus, my guess is that if Nelson felt comfortable running Klefbom/Musil as a tandem he’ll probably be okay running Gernat/Musil together next season.

Jonathan Willis:

- Davidson/Hunt
    - Gernat/Musil

Thanks for this, Jon. Not having watched them (well not much, anyway) it’s tough to know who played with who since they’re all lefties.

12. Bruce McCurdy says:

Lowetide: I don’t think he’s going to be an NHL goalie.

Is that based on anything in particular, or are you just beaten down by decades of organizational failure to develop a decent stopper?

Bruce McCurdy: Is thatbased on anything in particular, or are you just beaten down bydecades of organizational failure to develop a decent stopper?

I liked him plenty in junior, and his ECHL numbers have been good. However, there’s a lot of G with quality ECHL numbers and there’s nothing about him that’s special. we know goaltenders are like knuckleball pitchers, but betting the under on Oiler goalie prospects is just good business.

14. Jonathan Willis says:

FWIW, with the group you have I also sort of expect Miller on L1, Pinizzotto on L2 and Ford on L3; that’s more or less what they went with after the trade for Pinizzotto when Miller was healthy.

Jonathan Willis:

FWIW, with the group you have I also sort of expect Miller on L1, Pinizzotto on L2 andFord on L3; that’s more or less what they went with after the trade for Pinizzotto when Miller was healthy.

Ford on the 3line, eh? Wouldn’t have guessed it. Williams at C? Has to be, but I barely recall him as a player.

16. TheOtherJohn says:

Lt

Freaking Young Willis ….. You’d thought he spent the season in OKC watching the Barons or something …… Keener

Bruce think there are lots of miles before when we know if Brossoit is a real NHLer. I thought he started exceptionally strong in Bakersfield then tailed off. Not sure he’s better than we have but we will see.

17. Bruce McCurdy says:

TheOtherJohn:

Agree with your first sentiment which is why I was surprised by the strength of LT’s comment.

He tailed off & then bounced back exceptionally strong again. He went on two majorly good rolls over the course of the season.

18. Loweblow says:

Ryan Hamilton is recovering from shoulder surgery done in April some time and good chance he will not be ready for the seasons start. Jujhar Khaira may of centered the 4th line in the playoffs, but it was Ewanyk that took the important FO. At the end of the season last year Hunt and Davidson was the Barons best D pair, and cannot see Nelson splitting them up. See Gernat being paired with Musil, Gernat’s D isn’t the best and Musil is a great babysitter. Jordan Oesterle didn’t look the best in the time he was with the Barons and what I saw of Dillion Simpson in Jasper, these rumors of his skating being improved would be a bit exaggerated. There has been a rumor the Barons are looking for a veteran D to sign. The real question is were Moroz, C.Hamilton and Kessy play. Moroz plays the game Nelson loves and his skating is better than Ryan Hamilton’s and he’s a great leader like Hamilton, toss up here. C.Hamilton looked really good coming back, great 2way player. Nelson said he came back with a different attitude and you saw it in his play. Don’t be surprised if he ends up in the top6. Kessy was being groomed as bottom pairing player by Nelson, plays well in the PK. Is a fan favorite with his life he brings to the game

The lineup above isn’t opening night (as mentioned Klefbom isn’t in the lineup and I expect he’ll begin the season in OKC). I have Ryan Hamilton playing 56 games, accounting for injury recovery and that dizzying veteran rotation they have in the minors.

Ewaynk is going to play on the 4line on this team. I have him on RW because Acton has more experience. In regard to Oesterle-Simpson, those two will (imo) play more than the others (as listed in the boxcar section).

Would love to see Curtis Hamilton in the top 6F, it isn’t reasonable to project him there.

20. fifthcartel says:

That’s true. Olivier Roy had similar numbers in the ECHL and hasn’t done anything noteworthy in the AHL. NHL probably shouldn’t be the expectation for Brossoit.

21. Bruce McCurdy says:

fifthcartel:

My point is that it’s too soon to have expectations pro or con. The history is that guys with crummy save percentages in the ECHL generally don’t turn it around, but those that do have a fighting chance to make it.

I think my comment “I don’t think he’s going to be an NHL goalie” should be taken with a grain of salt. What I don’t know about goalies is a lot.

23. Adam Dyck says:

What’s this? LT arranging lines L-C-R?

What’s next, cats chasing dogs? Oilers acquiring players in their prime?

24. Braden88 says:

Adam Dyck:
    What’s this? LT arranging lines L-C-R?

What’s next, cats chasing dogs? Oilers acquiring players in their prime?

Braden88: Hey good catch Adam! i guess i am so used to EVERYONE ELSE using L-C-R that i missed it. Are you finally turning a corner LT?!

Don’t expect it every time! :-)

26. leadfarmer says:

Braden88,

Oh my God. Whats next, 3 scoring lines. They mythical 3 for 1 trade. A complete roster.

leadfarmer:
    Braden88,

Oh my God.Whats next, 3 scoring lines.They mythical 3 for 1 trade.A complete roster.

Ha! New post up will be of interest to you!

28. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: No, I still use C-L-R. However, it’s fairly universal (I think it’s just Rom and me) that L-C-R is preferred, and in an attempt to keep up with you young people (and Bruce!) I’ve adapted in this one area.

Don’t expect it every time!

“who’s the most important?”
    “the center”
    “end of discussion”

Romulus Apotheosis: This is a Pyrrhic victory for the L-C-R folks. They think they’ve won you over… but really, all this is, is a set-up to show the clear superiority of C-L-R by juxtaposition.

“who’s the most important?”
    “the center”
    “end of discussion”

It makes me happy I’ve converted one young person.

30. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: It makes me happy I’ve converted one young person.

Ha! “young person”

didn’t someone else call me young the other day? That must be the side-benefit of frequenting this place, relative age.

31. Bruce McCurdy says:

I’m a man ahead of my time.

“who’s the most important?”
    “the center”
    “end of discussion”

Then it should be represented like this:

C
    LW-RW
    LD-RD
    G

Although we all know that the most important player on the ice is the goalie, full stop. So maybe flip that on its head. Or do this:

G
    LD-RD
    C
    LW-RW

… with the centre in his spot as the joiner of defence to offence.